Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 22 Saturday, 22 August 1998 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: The Onion interview Re: TMBG:STD TMBG: Farewell, my friends TMBG: What the--?! NON-TMBG: moxy, mtx, and me :) TMBG: For the kiddies Re: TMBG: For the kiddies TMBG: Farewell TMBG: tour dates Re: TMBG: For the kiddies TMBG: Meet Ed Windsor Re: TMBG: TMBG on CDNOW Re: TMBG: TMBG on CDNOW TMBG: Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: video, posters, and STD TMBG: other parody Re: TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) TMBG: tour dates Re: TMBG: other parody TMBG: Linnell in "Apples and Oranges" Re: TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Non-TMBG: The Palace Re: TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Re: Non-TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Re: TMBG: other parody Re: TMBG: other parody Re: TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Re: Non-TMBG: Accordion players Re: TMBG: other parody Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 02:43:05 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: The Onion interview Message-ID: On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > But usualy a paper includes good writing, enticing someone to pick up the > next issue. The Onion's writing is lack luster at best, and that's me being > nice. I understand it's a free paper, and I'm not really against the ads, > just the bad writing, they should put a li'l more effort into it. But in addition, The Onion is meant to be humorous. Sure, it may be "lackluster" writing at times, but yours would be too if you had to come up with funny shit all the time. The Onion contains truly dark humor you will not see on a regular basis anywhere else. Basically, The Daily Show is kind of a televised version of the Onion. As to the interviews, it doesn't matter if the interviews themselves are written without the apparent quality of a "real" interview. What matters in the Onion's case is that they have the balls to ask questions like "Why should anyone buy your album?", to say the least. While the term is thrown around all the time, The Onion truly is an irreverent publication. It goes against just about all standards for media. And I for one think they deserve credit for that. And if nothing else, keep in mind that the Onion is written (or at least was, at some point) by a bunch of college students. The chances of finding a decent college newspaper writer are fairly slim, I'm sorry to say. And finally...you don't like the Onion, don't read it. It's as simple as that. I for one like their humor, and read it whenever I can. Noticing how his post frequency is dropping like mad, The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35DD4A7E.E294F866@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:22:56 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Re: TMBG:STD > At 3:28 PM -0500 8/20/98, Josh Buckland wrote: > >>Did anyone else keep the little paper thing that came on top of the CD > >>case? the thing that describes the CD? > >>I was just wondering if I was really obsessive or not... I kept it! and you think thats obsessive? I kept all the stickers from the wrapping of the cd! :-) ----ALSO---- Sometime in June or July my sister said some named me "Most Improved Listee" or somthing to that effect. Please make your presense known, and THANK YOU! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980821031617.24911.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: Farewell, my friends Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 20:16:17 PDT Yes, it's true. Unfortunately, I have to unsubscribe from this wonderful list. It turns out I will not have a computer in my dorm room right away, because I have to wait for my parents to scrounge up enough money to buy a PC for themselves. I'll be getting the old one eventually, but until then, there's nothing I can do. *sigh* I know I'll be bored without the billions of email messages full of TMBG goodness to fill my time, but I guess I could always study or something. (imagine that) I'll be back as soon as humanly possible, though (I know, is that a promise or a threat, right?) I'm posting this 2 days before I leave because I want people going to the upcoming Cleveland show to drop a line. Hey, there were to many Jasons on this list anyway, right? :) See ya everybody, --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980821145638.11164.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: What the--?! Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 07:56:37 PDT My original message did get sent, but I didn't receive it until some 12 hours after I sent it...sorry...bye... --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:58:32 -0600 Subject: NON-TMBG: moxy, mtx, and me :) Message-ID: <19980821.085840.18822.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >okay so there are some new tour dates: heh.. so i may not get to see Them on this tour... i was a lil upset but i just found out that on September 2nd, i get to see moxy fruvous!!! (i think they've only been to colorado once before and well, i missed that show)... anyways, they're playing at this tiny place called swallow hill it's no bigger than my bedroom... but anyways, i need info from all fo you freek moxy fans (chad? sarah?) uhm... do you happen to know if they openly let you bootleg their shows? then on october 9th, i get to see the mr. t experience (another one of my favorite bands... i've seen 'em before but still...) BNL are coming to denver on the 19th which i was really psyched about until i found out that they were playing at mcnichols arena (where the nuggets play and the avalanche). grr... last thing i remember they weren't even playing in denver... just the burbs and now they're on a stadium tour?! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html :::Eagle Eye Cherry in the Peak Lounge - 8/22/98::: :::Eagle Eye Cherry @ Mercury Cafe - 8/22/98::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:26:47 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: For the kiddies Message-ID: > "as many as two records (a conventional studio release and a > possible children's album) in 1999" > A children's album??!!? > I HAVE A CHILD!!! What incredible symmetry!! :D Um... not to dampen your enthusiasm (heck, if they do put out a children's album, I'll be first in line to get it), but I'm not sure if I'd trust anything printed in The Onion. As I understand it, it isn't intended to be factual. I wonder what a TMBG kids' album would be like? > September 10th: *Fillmore* - San Francisco, CA $21.50 for this show. Let a collective "OUCH!" from the good denizens of the Bay Area resound. I've got my ticket... who else is going? --nicole twn still hyper from Wednesday's Eddie From Ohio concert! Whoooo! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980821112952.006b1dcc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:29:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: For the kiddies At 08:26 AM 8/21/98 -0700, Nicole Carlson wrote: > >Um... not to dampen your enthusiasm (heck, if they do put out a children's >album, I'll be first in line to get it), but I'm not sure if I'd trust >anything printed in The Onion. As I understand it, it isn't intended to >be factual. The stories and articles in the Onion have little or no basis in fact, but the interviews and such in the AV Club section truly are for real. >I wonder what a TMBG kids' album would be like? Wonderful, I'd imagine. In fact, I bet it'll be the best album they'll have released in years... -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980821145325.8224.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: Farewell Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 07:53:24 PDT That's right, due to circumstances beyond my control (no access to a computer for a long time, but hopefully that will change) I have to unsubscribe from the list. I'm actually sending this the day before I leave for school because I was hoping I could get someone who's going to the upcoming Cleveland concert to give me a reply off-list. Hey, there were too many Jasons on this list anyway, right? :) I sent a message like this before, but I never received it so...I'm assuming it didn't go through. If it did, oh well. See you guys later, --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: TMBG: tour dates Message-ID: Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:10:41 -0500 just got back from a two week trip home to find 540 messages mostly related to them and std. needless to say it was impossible to read them all before you guys generated more. i did read one which i accidentally deleted that had std tour dates through november. i'm wondering what your source for these was. i'm trying to book them at my school, and the agency i called gave me their last scheduled date as october 5 in chicago, with no further dates booked. someone want to fill me in? thanks. jeremy * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980821185757.27907.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: For the kiddies Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:57:56 PDT >I wonder what a TMBG kids' album would be like? > >> It can't be THAT different prom the usual. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ Linda Wheatley: Karl, you know what? Melinda here was voted employee of the month at the dollar store last February. Isn't that something? Karl Childers: Yes ma'am, I reckon. Melinda: Well, when you like pricing items as much as I do, it's just bound to happen sooner or later, I guess. "Sling Blade" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980821190804.7395.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Meet Ed Windsor Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:08:03 PDT Meet Ed Windsor Inventor of that tie-knot Knock him up and have his kid That's what his sister did He hated his mother He hated his wife He murdered them both with a bowtie and knife The world was disgusted A few rotten clowns Pressed against his jail cell so they would be the first to eat Ed Windsor Inventer of that tie-knot Kick his ass and punch his face As if he'd really care He lost all his sence He didn't need his sence He lived with his "Mother" and opened a motel The world has forgotten And for it's own good The clowns at his jail cell went back to their tents Meet Ed Windsor Meet Ed Windsor Inventer of that tie-knot Knock him up and have his kid That's what his sister did Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ Linda Wheatley: Karl, you know what? Melinda here was voted employee of the month at the dollar store last February. Isn't that something? Karl Childers: Yes ma'am, I reckon. Melinda: Well, when you like pricing items as much as I do, it's just bound to happen sooner or later, I guess. "Sling Blade" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808212132.RAA24322@pop.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:29:39 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on CDNOW > >Flansburg's nasally, whiney voice that dares you to hate him. > > I thought Linnell had the nasally voice I love to hate. I'm so confused. > I'm depressed now, after finding out that everything I know is wrong. > yeah yeah... i always thought it was funny... and i was listening to Them the other day, and i had a friend over who is just getting in to tmbg (thanks to ME....) and she looks at me and goes- "jen... why does his voice sound so darn funny??" it was hilarious. also... i went on vacation, and was i met people... everyone started talking about who liked what music/bands... and i said- They Might Be Giants... no one knew them so i brought out a tape and made everyone listen to them... one of them said to me- "is this the Giants?" so i say- "they MIGHT be giants" (as in the full, correct name...) and he goes- "oh MAN! i thought you KNEW these guys!" hehe. it was so funny. we all cracked up... get it? they MIGHT be... as if i didn't know for SURE... hahahahahahaha.... imagine a world where we swim around in rasberry jello ~jen~ ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:17:21 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on CDNOW Message-ID: <19980821.191743.10318.0.gray42@juno.com> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:29:39 +0000 "dext182" writes: > imagine a world where we swim around in rasberry jello > > > ~jen~ > Gee, I guess I'd be all red then :P Mr. G. (who bought Ramnstein with her birthday money and can't get enough of it, ha. And has turned an age that allows her to visit more TMBG concerts now, yay! (for the much needed TMBG content)) "There's only 120 minutes to the show, and only 120 minutes left to go. Then we die, then we die." -- John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01bdcd5b$22667560$38701ad0@kathy> From: "Kathy Hardiman" Subject: TMBG: Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:26:32 -0400 hello all new englanders! i just got an update from pollstar... on 10-14-98, tmbg will be playing the Avalon in boston!!!!! thankfully, they gave lots of notice. if you can get to this show, GO!!! this is the venue where i met Flans and Hal. Plus, its a nice clean club. Maybe a bunch of us could meet and take over the front row. --feeling vaugely surreal....--kathy ps...any accordian players out there besides me? ++SCIENCE!! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/9921 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: <85b5b771.35de0a45@aol.com> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:01:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: video, posters, and STD In a message dated 98-08-20 22:38:47 EDT, superman75@juno.com writes: << sounds like that's dial-a-song? dollars to donuts says the number on your poster is 1-718-387-6962. >> ummmm, no it says "karten an allen bek. vorverkaufsstellen + bei tickets per post tel. 0 69/49 04 06" which translates into something like: "cards at all booking offices with tickets by post office Tel. 0 69/49 04 06".....=P Alias Athena~ ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:28:07 EDT Subject: TMBG: other parody I don't think particle man is a parody of spider man but I'm pretty snail shell, is a parody of place again Jeff "So happy They're coming to Utah he nearly wet himself" Craig ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003001bdcd65$098bf4c0$2b73c697@rayst95.rayst.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:37:23 -0400 ps...any accordian players out there besides me? There's one sitting in my room right now... haven't played it for a while, but I guess you can still say I'm an accordion player... Harlan [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <6a32369d.35de1676@aol.com> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:53:09 EDT Subject: TMBG: tour dates Are They coming to Salt Lake on Sept 17 like the site says or...Oct 15 like the DJ says? Jeff "pondering great philosophical questions" Craig ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980822010033.006b83e8@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:00:33 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: other parody At 08:28 PM 8/21/98 EDT, ErgoTM@aol.com wrote: >I don't think particle man is a parody of spider man but I'm pretty snail >shell, is a parody of place again > The 70's Spiderman theme, not the newer one. Try this out (I do this in my version of Particle Man) replace one part with these lyrics: Spiderman Spiderman Does whatever a spider can Spins a web any size [Catches theives just like flies Watch out, here comes] <--Taken out because it does not fit in Particle Man (though I sing 'em in my version) Spiderman See, it's a parody of it. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <95574b6e.35de2538@aol.com> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 21:56:07 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell in "Apples and Oranges" So kids. Today i was *hangin out* with my friends here on my last day in the NYC area, and found this... *different* little 'zine in this very odd store. The 'zine is called "Apples and Oranges" - unintentionally named by Linnell* - and it's from 1996.. (there were 2 copies for sale, each $4... we bought 'em out. ;)) ..what it is, esentially, is a photocopied zine that's all, well, "dirty".. and ..well, basically it's just Linnell & ...naughty stuff, is what it is. (on the opposite page of the main Linnell page, is a cartoon of an open va- well, i'll spare you the icky details. (although, there is an archie cartoon with the text whited-out, and copied with new vulgar captions... which is quite amusing)... if you're in the NY area or you will be ..the store we found this at is Kim's Video & Music (store location - 6 St. Mark's Pl, although they have other locations).. also at www.kimsvideo.com according to the reciept.. you could inquire if they have any more.. the thing that really makes it worthwhile, is a .. poster (?) loosely glued to the inside of the back cover of decending in size Linnell heads over a montage of oranges (i'll scan it).. if anyone wants me to transcribe this interview, i can (if it's not already on the web somewhere..). *the apples and oranges - when asked if he likes caffeine or sex better, he says you can't comapre them, they're like apples and oranges. buh dum bum. ~sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980822021155.3164.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:11:54 PDT > ps...any accordian players out there besides me? >There's one sitting in my room right now... haven't played it for a = >while, but I guess you can still say I'm an accordion player... > >Harlan > I've played accordion since this past Christmas; but have played piano for the 11 years prior to that. John Linnell, Al Yankovic, and everyone from TDA! have been great insperations to me. Mike "Squeeze This!" Fink *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* Boycott Microsoft http://www.vcnet.com/bms *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980822031907.21203.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non-TMBG: The Palace Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:19:05 PDT Who here freaquents the Palace chat? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ Linda Wheatley: Karl, you know what? Melinda here was voted employee of the month at the dollar store last February. Isn't that something? Karl Childers: Yes ma'am, I reckon. Melinda: Well, when you like pricing items as much as I do, it's just bound to happen sooner or later, I guess. "Sling Blade" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980821233255.006b6ce8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:32:55 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) At 07:11 PM 8/21/98 PDT, Michael Fink wrote: > >I've played accordion since this past Christmas; but have played piano >for the 11 years prior to that. John Linnell, Al Yankovic, and everyone >from TDA! have been great insperations to me. ::blinks:: Wow, I didn't know anyone else would've heard of TDA!... A truly wonderful band. If any of y'all get a chance to see them live, you really ought to. Being out here in the boondocks of South Carolina pretty much prevents me from seeing them, along with other nifty bands like Moxy Fruvous. :-P I own an accordion (got it May '97), but I wouldn't call myself an accordion player. ;-) Al (mostly) and John (kinda) got me into squeezin'...it was something I had thought about doing for years, but once I saw Al perform live, I was hellbent on getting one. :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808220419.AAA02408@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:14:49 -0400 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) At 08:37 PM 8/21/98 -0400, you wrote: > >> >> ps...any accordian players out there besides me? > I'm an accordion player insofar as I own an accordion and have caused it to make noise. Harf, Mitch <http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/> ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:22:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: other parody Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Aug-98 TMBG: other parody by ErgoTM@aol.com > I don't think particle man is a parody of spider man but I'm pretty snail I don't think parody is the right word for it... the tune is actually slightly different... it's more of a derivation. (granted, the only version of Spiderman I've ever heard is Moxy Fruvous', but presumably they're just covering it...) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980822002458.006b4df0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:24:58 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: other parody I would say that Particle Man was strongly inspired by the '70s Spiderman theme, but Lawrence is right...the music is a bit different. Fruvous' version starts off covering the theme, but strongly diverges part of the way through. :-) -Adam At 12:22 AM 8/22/98 -0400, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > >I don't think parody is the right word for it... the tune is actually >slightly different... it's more of a derivation. (granted, the only >version of Spiderman I've ever heard is Moxy Fruvous', but presumably >they're just covering it...) -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0prYWD200WB=0wBuo0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:26:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordion players (Boston show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Aug-98 Re: TMBG: Accordion players.. by "Harlan Landes"@udel.edu > ps...any accordian players out there besides me? > There's one sitting in my room right now... haven't played it for a = there's an accordion player sitting in your room?!? :) > while, but I guess you can still say I'm an accordion player... as am I. it's sitting there, and occasionally I pick it up, but I've been more into guitar and regular keyboard lately. some songs I find easier to play on accordion, though... if I'm doing something "solo" (I say solo like that because, technically, everything I do is solo, but in this case I mean with no MIDI backup) I'll use the accordion because I can cover the other parts with the bass buttons... and I can use a moderate amount of percussion between holding the air button and hitting the switches really hard. :) but that's a little difficult to coordinate. one of these days, I'll figure out how to play Dr. Worm with no back track. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003801bdcd85$63ad7b20$1573c697@rayst95.rayst.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Accordion players Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:28:54 -0400 >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Aug-98 Re: TMBG: Accordion >players.. by "Harlan Landes"@udel.edu >> ps...any accordian players out there besides me? >> There's one sitting in my room right now... haven't played it for a = > >there's an accordion player sitting in your room?!? :) yes, me! ;> but I was referring to the accordion. :> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980822054910.006b5bac@cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:49:10 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: other parody At 12:22 AM 8/22/98 -0400, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Aug-98 TMBG: other parody by >ErgoTM@aol.com >> I don't think particle man is a parody of spider man but I'm pretty snail > >I don't think parody is the right word for it... the tune is actually >slightly different... it's more of a derivation. (granted, the only >version of Spiderman I've ever heard is Moxy Fruvous', but presumably >they're just covering it...) > People don't realize this very often, but not all parodies are exact rip offs of the original version with new words. A parody can be as simple of a connection like Particle/Spider or as complex of a complete copy. Heh, if you wanna hear a weird cover of Spiderman check out Tenacious D's. Heres an experpt from it. "Spiderman, Spiderman, Mother F***ING Spiderman..." I could get you the complete lyrics, if you really need 'em. (for the original) LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-22 *****************************