Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 3 Monday, 3 August 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: MO concert?? Re: TMBG: B-sides Re: TMBG: B-sides Re: TMBG: B-sides Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: TMBG: requests / entertainment weekly+OAT NON TMBG: dont read this if youre anal about MF! NON TMBG: dont read this if youre anal about MF! Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: TMBG: requests / entertainment weekly TMBG: Concert in Minnesota TMBG: waiting patiently Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: TMBG: (non) video game music Re: TMBG: TMBGish: Rammstein, Dilbert, John Henry, and Re: TMBG: A REAL request this time NON-TMBG: Rammstein (yes another one) TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: MF and SOUL COUNGHING TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: MF and SOUL COUNGHING Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: MF and SOUL COUNGHING TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: MF and SOUL COUGHING Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's tmbg. Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein TMBG: OMLT turmoil finally settled Re: TMBG: OMLT turmoil finally settled TMBG: The art of being simple Re: TMBG: The art of being simple Re: TMBG: The art of being simple TMBG: all of you They Might Be Giants Fans TMBG: dr worm on the radio TMBG: disregard this message Non-TMBG: Rammstein Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <35C42082.747@stlnet.com> Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 02:17:27 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: MO concert?? Hey. I almost pissed my pants when I saw that They are coming to MO... but, could someone tell me about those college shows? It's at William Jewel College and I was wondering if anyone knows if it'll be college students only or all ages or what? I'll probably die if it's 21 and up. Thanks. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "Save the whales. Collect the whole set." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980802150526.28896.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: Re: TMBG: B-sides Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 08:05:26 PDT >You were probably looking at the "Albums" section, which, the last time >I checked, tended to omit certain songs from track listings. I'd >recommend consulting the discography at tmbg.org. No, what I meant was, when you click on "Complete" it will list everything several billion times, with singles having incomplete or wrong track listings (unless "Larger Than Life" really is on both one of the versions of I Palindrome I and one of the Guitar). I may be wrong, there may be 6 different versions of The Guitar single, but that makes it hard when you're trying to figure out the correct b-sides (which I've done now, anyway). --Jason, not trying to slam tmbg.org, just pointing out something-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199808021540.LAA16504@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: B-sides Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 11:40:37 -0400 (EDT) > No, what I meant was, when you click on "Complete" it will list > everything several billion times, with singles having incomplete or > wrong track listings (unless "Larger Than Life" really is on both one of > the versions of I Palindrome I and one of the Guitar). > > I may be wrong, there may be 6 different versions of The Guitar single, > but that makes it hard when you're trying to figure out the correct > b-sides (which I've done now, anyway). There seems to be a lot of confusion over the song listing, and much of it rightfully so as I haven't completed everything I want to do with it. Bascially what I have done is created a database with every They Might Be Giants CD ever released in it. This has many things that look like "duplicates" in the views you can see on the web site. For instance, a CD may have been released in the US, europe, and asia with three different release codes, and possibly differnet track times, but still has the same list of tracks and is, in fact, the "same" CD. Roughly speaking the way it works on the site is that the initial view is "major US albums only", the list of things most of you would consider their albums. The next option over, "Singles", adds to that all of the "major US singles", and should give what most of you would consider the complete list of TMBG works. The next link over, "All Albums" adds to singles everything TMBG has had a song on, adding things like "Rubaiyat", "Tiny Toons", and the XTC tribute. Last, but not least is "Complete", which is everything we have in the database, about 170 different releases. 99% of the time no one wants to view this. There is more information in the database, and I hope to find a way to make this available in the view. It would make it more clear what you were seeing, and why it was there. As always, I welcome suggestions in making this easier to use. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980802160952.9555.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: Re: TMBG: B-sides Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:09:52 PDT >The next option over, "Singles", adds to that all of the "major US >singles", and should give what most of you would consider the >complete list of TMBG works. Yes, but the reason I went to "Complete" was that when you click on "Singles" the track listings for the singles do not include all of the b-sides for that single. I'd like to say again that I'm not trying to criticize tmbg.org in any way. I think it's the best TMBG site out there. I'm just trying to clear up something that was a little confusing to me. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301bdbe34$649e1360$50c708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 12:41:24 -0400 :For the record the band is named after a place, nothing else...the name may :mean something such as "battering ram," but ask any German what it means & :they'll say, "oh, it's a place..." at least all the German's I've asked...I :used to like Rammstein, but that "You Hate/Du Hast" song annoys me.... If it's a place, it's misspelled. The Ramstein most Americans think of is "Ramstein Air Force Base", near Kaiserslautern. As to what it actually means, I haven't the foggiest. The lyrics of this song are very retarded, tho. It translates to something akin to this: You, You have, You have me, You, You have, You have me, You have asked me, You have asked me, You have asked me, and I have not said. I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it. Kiddie Heavy Metal. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002201bdbe35$b82c5860$50c708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: requests / entertainment weekly+OAT Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 12:50:54 -0400 ----- :tmbg related: :ion the 8/7 issue of Entertainment Weekly, there's a 3 pg article on the :Baenaked Ladies, and at the end there's a history of "wannabe clever - but :more often irritating songs" with "High IQ - Irksome Quotient." :P~ And :instead of rating with stars it's eyeglasses ("Because nerdy isn't :always a dirty word"). ;p Istanbul is... well wait, i'll type it. ~ : :"ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE)," They Might Be Giants (1990): Fun with :geographical history! A remake (of a 1953 Four Lads tune) only a smarty-pants :could love. [2 tiny eyeglasses] : ::P~ i suppose they get a little credit for mentioning tmbg in their :magazine, and not using the word "quirky" , but, they don't quite get it. :*sigh* : for those curious, B-52's "Rock Lobster" got 4 eyeglasses; The Knack's "My :Sharona" got 2; Devo's "Whip It" 4; "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" :by R.E.M. 3; Weezer's "Buddy Holly" 3; "Peaches" by the Presidents of the USA :1; Van Halen's "Nerf Herder" (huh? never heard it..) 1/2. Interestingly enough, I'm kind of partial to all of these songs.....As for Nerf Herder, I quote some lyrics, "Is this what you wanted, Sammy Hagar? Sammy Hagar, is this what you wanted? Dave lost his hairline, but you lost your cool, buddy. 'Can't Drive Fifty-Five', I'll never buy your stupid records again." Perhaps the My Sharona like comes in the form of Weird Al's parody "My Bologna." ObOATs: Anyone going to the DC show on the 28th of August? I seem to have a dearth of information about it. I'd like to go, but must get time and ticket info first. If I can go, it'll be a trick, since I don't get off work until five, and then the three hour drive to DC from Hampton. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C4AA65.C976D611@softhome.net> Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 13:05:25 -0500 From: melissa Subject: NON TMBG: dont read this if youre anal about MF! i had the best day of my life on friday! i went to a moxy frouvous show in quincy market [boston], and at teh very beginning of the show jian said "you know, we didnt really get a good start on this show...i think we need a new introduction, but the only person that can do it is someone with pink hair....does anyone out there have pink hair?!" so I got to introduce Moxy Fruvous!!!!!!!! it was so great i almost died! and after ward, jian signed my poster with a heart, and dave signed it "to melissa: the MC queen" needless to say i still choke up when i see that poster! the show itself was great too! there was a guy on the balconey doing a stupid dance, so mf drew attention to him and started playing particle man with the words "balconey man, balconey man, look at him dance, hes balconey man" they also did a hilarious "grampa fruvous" skit and mike looked in some girl's purse. now i dont want to start a flame.....but i am now convinced that mf puts on a better live show than tmbg. please dont kill me! crouching in the corner... melissa ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C4AA6D.E080C85C@softhome.net> Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 13:05:33 -0500 From: melissa Subject: NON TMBG: dont read this if youre anal about MF! i had the best day of my life on friday! i went to a moxy frouvous show in quincy market [boston], and at teh very beginning of the show jian said "you know, we didnt really get a good start on this show...i think we need a new introduction, but the only person that can do it is someone with pink hair....does anyone out there have pink hair?!" so I got to introduce Moxy Fruvous!!!!!!!! it was so great i almost died! and after ward, jian signed my poster with a heart, and dave signed it "to melissa: the MC queen" needless to say i still choke up when i see that poster! the show itself was great too! there was a guy on the balconey doing a stupid dance, so mf drew attention to him and started playing particle man with the words "balconey man, balconey man, look at him dance, hes balconey man" they also did a hilarious "grampa fruvous" skit and mike looked in some girl's purse. now i dont want to start a flame.....but i am now convinced that mf puts on a better live show than tmbg. please dont kill me! crouching in the corner... melissa ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 13:52:50 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Message-ID: <19980802.135342.4606.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998 12:41:24 -0400 "S. Bergeron" writes: <> . The lyrics of this song are very >retarded, tho. It translates to something akin to this: > >You, >You have, >You have me, >You, >You have, >You have me, >You have asked me, >You have asked me, >You have asked me, and I have not said. Actually, the lyrics are You You Hate You Hate Me You hate me to say You hate me to say and I did not obey >I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it. Kiddie Heavy Metal. Yes, this is a very retarded song... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD purchase: The Guitar (single) Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL >Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org >"Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage >name."--Doctor >Worm >http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ > > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 14:07:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: requests / entertainment weekly <<... for those curious, B-52's "Rock Lobster" got 4 eyeglasses; The Knack's "My Sharona" got 2; Devo's "Whip It" 4; "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" by R.E.M. 3; Weezer's "Buddy Holly" 3; "Peaches" by the Presidents of the USA 1; Van Halen's "Nerf Herder" (huh? never heard it..) 1/2.>> Uh oh, I like almost every one of those songs.... Am I that big a nerd? ::grins:: Anyway, if you wanted to hear a band with songs about nothing, then take a look at those B-52's. God, I love em (Rock Lobster is about the funkiest song this side of Athens, GA), but their lyrics really leave something to be desired. Their songs are mostly about Parties, Sex, Drugs, or Aliens, but still..... they're pretty funky people, you have to admit :) -CAsey ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 13:36:07 -0500 Message-Id: From: ja0022@drake.edu (The Pope) Subject: TMBG: Concert in Minnesota I'm pumped right now. Only 7 1/2 hours till the TMBG concert here in Minneapolis. Woo hoo!!!! My friends and I plan on recording this concert. I'll let you know how it turns out. ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <53d6bd9c.35c4c1b3@aol.com> Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 15:44:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: waiting patiently When are They coming to Utah, if ever. If the Jhon's are out there reading this. Utah, come to utah. Also, I sent this out before but it didn't go to everyone I hear. So, does anyone like the band daniel amos? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980802144642.0069b3a0@glasscity.net> Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 14:46:42 -0400 From: Kelley Ketchmark Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein At 01:52 PM 8/2/98 -0400, you wrote: >On Sun, 2 Aug 1998 12:41:24 -0400 "S. Bergeron" >writes: ><> >. The lyrics of this song are very >>retarded, tho. It translates to something akin to this: >> >>You, >>You have, >>You have me, >>You, >>You have, >>You have me, >>You have asked me, >>You have asked me, >>You have asked me, and I have not said. > >Actually, the lyrics are >You >You Hate >You Hate Me >You hate me to say >You hate me to say >and I did not obey > >>I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it. Kiddie Heavy Metal. > >Yes, this is a very retarded song... No, I think S. Bergeron is correct. Du Hast = You have and Du Hasst = You hate. I don't have the album or anything but I've heard the song and I also speak fluent German. Is that a translation the band has posted somewhere or is that what a friend told you? Either way, it's a silly song lyrically, but at least something more adventurous than the usual crap out there today. How often does a non-English-singing song make it to the US mainstream? Almost never, record companies have decided we're too wussy to handle it. Kelley, who wishes she could post something about Dr. Worm instead of Rammstein but hasn't heard DW yet anywhere public. ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 18:58:15 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein In a message dated 98-08-02 18:11:06 EDT, kelley@glasscity.net writes: << No, I think S. Bergeron is correct. Du Hast = You have and Du Hasst = You hate. I don't have the album or anything but I've heard the song and I also speak fluent German. Is that a translation the band has posted somewhere or is that what a friend told you? >> On Mtv's "Say What" show they translated it as saying "you, you hate, you hate me"....etc....but i don't speak any german at all so I have no idea what they are really saying....... athena~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803000637.25294.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: (non) video game music Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 17:06:37 PDT >>My favourites: >>Final Fantasy 1,2, and 7 I personaly, think that the best video game music option comes from the Monkey Island Madness 256 color cd-rom tha you pop into your player to here the music from the game. As far as I am aware of, CD-ROMs, unlike Playstation CDs, are rare as far as having themselves playable in a CD player. Josh "Just saw 'Saving Private Ryan'" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ LeChuck: "We are bound to one another." Guybrush: "Like dreadlocks?" LeChuck: "Yes, rather like that. But more like...brothers!" Guybrush: "Eh?" Lechuck: "I am your brother." Guybrush: "That's not true, that's impossible!" Lechuck: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true" Guybrush: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" -- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803001735.20215.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGish: Rammstein, Dilbert, John Henry, and Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 17:17:34 PDT >Josh Buckland is funny until he blatantly rips of Norm >MacDonald. I don't quite know what you're getting at, but I thing Norm's pretty cool, though I've not yet seen anything he's in (I'm refering to "Dirty Work", here.). Uh, so... don't be mean! Or, I think you shouldn't,uh... be... mean. Josh "Just saw 'Saving Private Ryan'" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ LeChuck: "We are bound to one another." Guybrush: "Like dreadlocks?" LeChuck: "Yes, rather like that. But more like...brothers!" Guybrush: "Eh?" Lechuck: "I am your brother." Guybrush: "That's not true, that's impossible!" Lechuck: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true" Guybrush: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" -- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808030151.VAA26965@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 21:48:17 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: A REAL request this time > then 3 times where it rang but then switched to a busy signal. But hey, I'm > recording this... it's not often, if every, you hear "She's an Angel" on ze > radio. > maybe not you, but i hear "She's an Angel" about every other day. i think they rotate... one day the only tmbg song they play is she's an angel... the next istanbul. the next she's an angel... you get my point... but NOOOOO... they can't play anything new or anything... that would require too much brain power for the poor dj's... (please, note the sarcasm above. i hate the radio station, and i hate the dj's. i listen in hopes that maybe... just maybe... they'll play something i haven't heard... oh well. a girl can dream, can't she?) ~jen~ ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <3fd7133b.35c51b23@aol.com> Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 22:06:26 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Rammstein (yes another one) I'm pretty sure it is Du Hach. (In my head it looked like what was on the screen at the begginig of the video but now..., and before you ask I didn't find this out in the dictionary of BS) Jeff "sushi? hey, isn't that a germaan word" Craig ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 20:10:22 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: MF and SOUL COUNGHING Message-ID: <19980802.201316.11206.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >.but i am now convinced that mf >puts >on a better live show than tmbg. please dont kill me! am i still the only one that thinks TMBG's live show is pretty crummy... maybe i'm just upset that i haven't seen them in a year and a half and i'm trying to make myself feel better :( on a totally different note... anyone with the propellorhead's album (decksanddrums...) is their cover of Soul Coughing's "super bon bon" on there? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html "WE SHOOK THE PAW OF HELLO KITTY" ---JOHN LINNELL _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803022722.29466.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: MF and SOUL COUNGHING Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 19:27:22 PDT >am i still the only one that thinks TMBG's live show is pretty >crummy... I just wanted to say I find it highly amusing that you find TMBG's live show crummy, yet you are admittedly "obsessed" with getting as many bootlegs as you can :) --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980802223452.006a9c4c@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 22:34:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: MF and SOUL COUNGHING >am i still the only one that thinks TMBG's live show is pretty >crummy... I wouldn't go so far as to say it's crummy, but...well...I guess inconsistent would be the best way to put it. Some bootlegs I have are absolutely brilliant, and others scream to be taped over... Like I've said before, I prefer the '92 line-up over any other TMBG eras... -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 21:42:17 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: MF and SOUL COUGHING Message-ID: <19980802.214222.11206.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I just wanted to say I find it highly amusing that you find TMBG's >live >show crummy, yet you are admittedly "obsessed" with getting as many >bootlegs as you can :) i find it amusing too... i like to laugh at myself. didn't i already mention that i think i have a bit of an obsessive-compulsive problem? geez... i've gotten to the point where i don't even listen to TMBG anymore and the only reason i listen to any of my bootlegs is for the mere sake of getting set-lists for the shows to make j-cards when i trade 'em. that much said... i didn't always feel that way (obviously) i loved the drum machine shows and then the '92 line-up. i think those are the shows i started collecting first... then it just grew from there to the point where i need it all before i stop collecting it. i've got an "addictive personality" and i think this is a very good example of why i've been tagged as such. To me, it just seems that the bootlegs are harmless as opposed to something like drugs or alcohol... it's just my way of escaping i spose... DISCLAIMER: you people all must see just how wiggity-whacked i am. it's not so much that i don't like TMBG anymore it's just that i don't listen to them as much anymore. obviously if i didn't like them i sure as hell wouldn't be on the list and i know i wouldn't be planning on going to tower records at midnight on august 11th to pick up the new album. i think it's just that... well... here i need a quote to explain my position: "people like something that's somewhat mysterious and something that's left somewhat to your imagination. As soon as you have it figured out, it ceases to be interesting; it ceases to have magic or life or vitality." --- Jerry Casale [Devo] i used to claim that every time i listened to TMBG i found a new way to interpret it... it was always new and 'mysterious'... i hadn't quite figured it out. But now, (and let me note that this has just happened within the last few months... after 8 years of being a fan), i listen to their songs and it just doesn't happen anymore... it's not fresh to me, it's not interesting. i've listened to TMBG so much that it's familiar, there's nothing new and it's just not as exciting as it used to be... and yes, i'm still willing to fly to new york (if i can) in a couple of weeks to catch a couple of the Mono Puff shows and a TMBG show... i'm just a freek-fan, i need help. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808030404.AAA17105@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 00:01:12 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's tmbg. > >am i still the only one that thinks TMBG's live show is pretty > >crummy... > man... i just want to say... well, i admit, i've never been to a show... YET. next time they come around here, i plan to beg.. scream... cry... whatever is necessary to go. BUT... from what i've heard, their shows are insanely awesome. maybe, what you people who think it's boring have done, is given yourselves an overdose... listening to the same thing over and over, going to the same shows over and over... it tends to get boring and monotonous after a while... but then, compare it to something else, and it's darn nifty. see, i know people who have gone to shows... i got major descriptions... and let me tell you... and concert with a confetti canon, people jumping onstage dancing to the polka, heads on stick and all the stuff that was described to me sure beats any thing i've seen. i mean, compare... last year, i saw third eye blind... and i didn't really like them anyway, but i wanted to fall asleep during their set because they were BOOOOOOOORING. whats-his-face just stood there and sang for a while while they played. yip yip. but then... look at all the stuff that the johns do that make their shows interesting and not a snooze fest... all i'm saying is, maybe you're taking it for granted...like everyone says, pizza is great once in while (if you even lke pizza) but have it every night, and you start to get bored with it... but then again, maybe i'm 100% wrong and their live shows are crummy. then darn, that's too bad... i'm still going : ) ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C5373D.D6A5947A@cannet.com> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 00:06:21 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Kelley Ketchmark wrote: > > No, I think S. Bergeron is correct. Du Hast = You have and Du Hasst = You > hate. I don't have the album or anything but I've heard the song and I > also speak fluent German. Is that a translation the band has posted > somewhere or is that what a friend told you? No, actually Mr. Bergeron is incorrect. There's an English version of this song on the US release of the cd, and it's 'You Hate....You Hate Me....' and so on. I think the band would know what they're singing. > Kelley, > who wishes she could post something about Dr. Worm instead of Rammstein but > hasn't heard DW yet anywhere public. I heard DW for the first time (the horn version that is) the other day and for whoever thinks they can make this song a hit is crazy. It may get some airplay, and I think it's a good song, but it's definitely not mainstream material ~Mike ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 00:06:09 EDT Subject: TMBG: OMLT turmoil finally settled I have not been able to read the list recently, but I've heard some odd rumors. First off: I am not in Buenos Aires, and you will get your shirts. Now that we have that cleared up: I won't bore you with all the details but Bob and I missed each other for a while because of his job problems and my grandmother getting sick. The upshot is that he can't help us make shirts without the color-seperated design exactly as he requested, and although Rob Plass and I have tried dozens of times, I can't produce that. However, Rob assures me that he has the equipment and resources to produce the shirts very soon if I send him the money and information. Therefore, from now on Rob will be in charge of finishing up the OMLT project. I have received a flood of politely upset email from worried listees and I don't want to keep you in suspense any longer. I never ever intended to cause you all such a pain in the ass with my lateness. A lot of the problem stems from technical difficulties, but a lot of it is my fault for taking on a project of this scale without thinking about whether I had adequate time and resources to finish it. I humbly apologize to you and to all those who have been burned by this misjudgement on my part. I am busy tomorrow, but Tuesday I will set about collecting the necessary documents and get my mom to write a check. Hopefully Rob will receive all that by this weekend, and responsible person that he is, he will get these silly things finished. I have total faith in him. If you really, really have had it with this whole shirt business and just want your money back, email me NOW and tell me so. I will send you a refund check. If you don't catch me before Tuesday, you'll have to ask Rob for a refund because he will be in charge of all shirt funds. But I implore you all to just wait a little longer because the shirts really will look great when they're done. Rob is a very responsible (and evidently, connected) person and I trust that he will have the shirts done in no time. Anyway, I hope that all the listees have it in their hearts to forgive me my OMLT trespasses, as I forgave those who sinned against me (like sending me crumbled graham crackers and other weird things in the mail!). Once again, my humble apologies for any pain or frustration I have caused you. My intentions were wholly pure, and I assure you that not a cent of your money went towards financing any South American getaways. I throw myself at the mercy of the list community. As I can't read the list much nowadays, please address any conerns or questions to me at christy@tmbg.org. You can reach your new devoted OMLT boss, Rob Plass, at rplass@schicktech.com, but bother me before you do him if it is old business. I hope you recognize my delays as incompetance rather than maliciousness, and I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. Meanwhile, a large round of applause for Mr. Robert Plass, your new OMLT God. --Christy P.S. If you don't know what an OMLT is, it's an official list shirt, and now is not a good time to ask for one, so please don't. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 22:17:46 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT turmoil finally settled Message-ID: <19980802.221749.11206.8.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Meanwhile, a >large round >of applause for Mr. Robert Plass, your new OMLT God. do you talk to your shoes? do they talk to you? somehow i just don't think this is gonna be as amusing as when Christy the shoe goddess was in charge. so uhm, rob, for those of us that requested a shirt but never sent her our money what do you want us to do (i know i'm not the only one...) take it easy, JOrdaN :::did i mention i have a problem::: http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html "currently listening to MTV's first hour" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <7ba0899e.35c53b0f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 00:22:38 EDT Subject: TMBG: The art of being simple Hello 41- This comes in response to whomever was upset about TMBG being called simple. Those of us that do listen to the words, realize that TMBG's music isn't very simple and provokes thought. Fine. But there are other ways to listen to music. Sometimes it's good to listen to music when you are doing something else and not paying attention. Sometimes it's good to listen to music when you are just relaxing. Or reading. Or dancing. Or various other things. But when you do, don't count out TMBG. If you just listen to the music, a lot of the music is very simple, listenable, happy sounding music. It can make you smile and what not. The music is also very pure. Many times, TMBG has been on and little children have been around, listened, and just started dancing. Perhaps this is a reason for them wanting to do a children's show. It would focus on the happiness, and the pure music of They Might Be Giants. Like the Moog Cookbook said in an interview: But the people who enjoy our music most of all are animals and small children. They don't even know what a synthisizer or a moog is, but it is good, pure music and enjoyable. Sometimes it's good just to look at things differently. I'm sure TMBG did when deciding to make their music for people. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to look at them differently. Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803051515.6509.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: The art of being simple Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 22:15:14 PDT >This comes in response to whomever was upset about TMBG being called simple. >Those of us that do listen to the words, realize that TMBG's music isn't very >simple and provokes thought. Fine. But there are other ways to listen to >music. Sometimes it's good to listen to music when you are doing something >else and not paying attention. Sometimes it's good to listen to music when >you are just relaxing. Or reading. Or dancing. Or various other things. >But when you do, don't count out TMBG. If you just listen to the music, a lot >of the music is very simple, listenable, happy sounding music. It can make >you smile and what not. The music is also very pure. Many times, TMBG has >been on and little children have been around, listened, and just started >dancing. Perhaps this is a reason for them wanting to do a children's show. >It would focus on the happiness, and the pure music of They Might Be Giants. >Like the Moog Cookbook said in an interview: But the people who enjoy our >music most of all are animals and small children. They don't even know what a >synthisizer or a moog is, but it is good, pure music and enjoyable. > >Sometimes it's good just to look at things differently. I'm sure TMBG did >when deciding to make their music for people. Maybe it would be a good idea >for you to look at them differently. Also, I find sometimes music is good to either set, or go with, the mood. When I'm sad and/or depressed, Paul McCartney's Yesterday does it for me. Or when I'm in love, The Beatles' "And I Love Her". I was listning to it earlier, but she left me not a 1/2 hour ago. So, it's more "Yesterday" for me. Josh "Depressed just thinking about her!" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ LeChuck: "We are bound to one another." Guybrush: "Like dreadlocks?" LeChuck: "Yes, rather like that. But more like...brothers!" Guybrush: "Eh?" Lechuck: "I am your brother." Guybrush: "That's not true, that's impossible!" Lechuck: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true" Guybrush: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" -- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808030524.BAA08467@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 01:21:50 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: The art of being simple > This comes in response to whomever was upset about TMBG being called simple if i may interject here... i am almost positive i'll end up getting flame for this, but anywho... to someone who sees TMBG as just another band, i can totally understand why they would be called "simple." see, if you listen to the music and not so much to the words (because honestly, words kind of slip you teh first few times you hear anyway) and be a critic. a music critic. it's obviously pleasant to listen to... but it isn't terribly difficult sounding most of the time. of course, we know differently... but not everyone seesthe world through my lime colored glasses. i see deeper. we all do : ) > Those of us that do listen to the words, realize that TMBG's music isn't very > simple and provokes thought. exactly : ) some people like lime colored glasses. others prefer red. it's all in where you buy your glasses, my friends. all in where you buy your glasses. ~jen~ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 23:25:32 -0600 Subject: TMBG: all of you They Might Be Giants Fans Message-ID: <19980802.232536.11206.10.TMBgirl@juno.com> so uhm.. this was just posted to the other mailing list that i'm on... dunno if anyone has said anything about it here yet or not... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html --------- Begin forwarded message ---------- From: Patricia Pollak To: marcy_playground@listserv.oit.unc.edu Subject: all of you They Might Be Giants Fans Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 00:52:09 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: A lot time ago, when the listserve was pretty small there was a dicussion about people likeing They Might Be Giants.(which shows I have been on the listserve to long.) Anyway, I just thought you might like to know that they are going to be in a show near me. They are playing August 29 at the Blossom Music center near Cleveland Ohio. They are in a big concert with 14 other bands that a radio station is bringing in. I just thought some people might like to know. Talk to you later. The King of Forwards, Scott (flubber) *************************************************************************** "Never hit your mother with a shovel, It leaves a dull impression on her mind" ----Song sung in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" *************************************************************************** --------- End forwarded message ---------- _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 23:24:06 -0600 Subject: TMBG: dr worm on the radio Message-ID: <19980802.232536.11206.9.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEy hEy! sorry to post so much tonight but i'm really bored... anyways, i e-mailed the DJ (alf) at KTCL for the "all request retro show" because he typically will play TMBG during it (he seems to be a fan)... and asked him if he'd play either 'ana ng' or 'meet james ensor' explaining that i wanted to hear if they decided to throw on the "detard versions" (slow) or not. anyways he wrote me back and said yeah he would and then added that they had played Dr. Worm on "adventure university" and sumthin else that i wasn't listening to last night... so i wrote him back and told him how i'd already heard Dr. Worm thanks to the magical mystical internet and how i thought it was a lot worse with horns than without 'em... anyways, he wrote me back right after that and said that F (another DJ) had taken home the CD to listen to it and they didn't have it in the studios... GRRR!!! so he played don't let's start instead... anyways, that's my fun requesting story for today... he also said that meet james ensor was "recorded on the floor of their hotel room somewheres" again... anyone with the liner notes wanna enlighten me as to when and where they were oh yeah... is it just denver or is soul coughing getting a lot bigger? maybe it's just cuz of the propellorheads.. i dunno... i hear them and fatboy slim all the time now and before i never would hear 'em on the radio... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 01:25:35 EDT Subject: TMBG: disregard this message Do not pay any attention this only a test ignore this message ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803055700.9500.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non-TMBG: Rammstein Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 22:56:59 PDT Anybody know any good "Du Hast" .wavs out there? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ LeChuck: "We are bound to one another." Guybrush: "Like dreadlocks?" LeChuck: "Yes, rather like that. But more like...brothers!" Guybrush: "Eh?" Lechuck: "I am your brother." Guybrush: "That's not true, that's impossible!" Lechuck: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true" Guybrush: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" -- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-3 ****************************