Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 4 Tuesday, 4 August 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: The art of being simple Re: TMBG: A REAL request this time Re: TMBG: disregard this message Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's tmbg. Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's tmbg. TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's still non-tmbg. Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's still non-tmbg. Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: I'm guilty. Re: TMBG: OMLT turmoil finally settled TMBG: Spiraling Shape NON-TMBG: The art of NOT being simple - Frank Zappa Re: TMBG: MO concert?? Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: Non-TMBG: Harf NON-TMBG: Posting a lot (was Re: TMBG: dr worm on the radio) Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein TMBG: MTV Re: NON-TMBG: Posting a lot (was Re: TMBG: dr worm on the radio) Re: Non-TMBG: Harf Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts TMBG: Sever Tire Damage....i have it!!! listening party info... TMBG: harf forever! Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts Re: Non-TMBG: Harf Re:Non-TMBG: harf forever! Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts Re: Non-TMBG: Harf Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Re: TMBG: harf forever! Re: Non-TMBG: Harf Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts Re:Non-TMBG: harf forever! Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: Non-TMBG: Harfyboy Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: Non-TMBG: Harfyboy Re: TMBG: harf forever! Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Re: Non-TMBG: harf forever! TMBG: Certain People Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199808030612.CAA24152@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 01:12:42 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: The art of being simple >Also, I find sometimes music is good to either set, or go with, the >mood. When I'm sad and/or depressed, Paul McCartney's Yesterday does it >for me. Or when I'm in love, The Beatles' "And I Love Her". I was >listning to it earlier, but she left me not a 1/2 hour ago. So, it's >more "Yesterday" for me. Yes, you're right, boating safety is quite important for a fun, exciting, and SAFE day at the lake. First, and most importantly, always wear a life jacket. Always. Yes, this means Y-O-U. Even when you're below decks on a yacht? Yes. Even when you're tied to the mast with wax in your ears to avoid the siren song? Yes. Even when you're copulating in the bilge? Yes, especially then. Second, and of only slightly less importance, be sure to avoid sharks. Now I can hear you saying to yourself "But I'm in a lake, and sharks live in salt water!" Not true! This is a popular urban legend, that sharks are restricted to the ocean. Just as many giant alligators roam the sewers of fair cities across the land, so too do sharks inhabit even the smallest of freshwater lakes, ponds and streams. And since it's off topic, I'll skip over the entire "Land Shark" portion of this speech. Third, and finally, never never NEVER piss on an electric fence. It might seem like a good idea at the time, but trust me, having been in the boating safety racket for seventeen fine years, I can assure you that there is no appropriate time to urinate on fences charged with electricity. Not even when you're on the deck of your new pleasure cruiser. If you obey these three simple guidelines, AND if you are aware of such common sense facts as "Harpoons are terrible life preservers", then you will live to return to the beach as many times as your little crazy heart desires. FIN Harf, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 01:59:49 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A REAL request this time Message-ID: <19980803.021347.3646.0.gray42@juno.com> Bleck, all you fans who actually hear TMBG on the radio at all don't know how lucky you is. What I wouldn't give to hear TMBG on the radio once....unnngh. Mysterio Gal (who's considering the idea of actually requesting TMBG, but first she'd better start listening to the radio... oh well) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808030618.CAA25242@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 01:18:34 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: disregard this message At 01:25 AM 8/3/98 -0400, you wrote: >Do not pay any attention this only a test ignore this message I couldn't help but pay attention to this message. Your mission was a failure. Now your secrets are mine, whence they will travel to France, the leader of the international consortium of Communist Francophones and other assorted bad guys. Your slip-up has cost the free world dearly, my friend. Ever been to Tulsa? Not any more, it now belongs to France. How about Montana? Sorry, it's called Montaine now. Oh, did I hear you mention Paris, Texas? Well let's just say that France has two capitols now, and one of them is a hell of a lot closer to Houston than you might think. Screw you and your espionage. I'm moving to Sioux Falls. Oh wait, I can't move to Sioux Falls! I don't have a damn passport, you spider monkey! Viva La Belle France, Msr. Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5c485f7d.35c56220@aol.com> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 03:09:18 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's tmbg. In a message dated 8/2/98 12:14:13 AM, dext182@snet.net wrote: > >man... i just want to say... well, i admit, i've never been to a >show... YET. next time they come around here, i plan to beg.. >scream... cry... whatever is necessary to go. BUT... from what i've >heard, their shows are insanely awesome. oh, they *are*. in fact for some reason, tmbg shows are the ones i seem to get more excited about, in a way... slightly (perhaps it's 'cuz i've yet to meet either John in person...). and their shows are fabulous. but there's no comparing to barenaked ladies or moxy fruvous in regards to live shows. and you'd never understand it until you see for yourself. they just knock tmbg down to #3 (there's only 2 songs in me..)...at least, in my opinion. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808030741.DAA29152@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 02:41:15 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's tmbg. >oh, they *are*. in fact for some reason, tmbg shows are the ones i seem to get >more excited about, in a way... slightly (perhaps it's 'cuz i've yet to meet >either John in person...). and their shows are fabulous. but there's no >comparing to barenaked ladies or moxy fruvous in regards to live shows. and >you'd never understand it until you see for yourself. they just knock tmbg >down to #3 (there's only 2 songs in me..)...at least, in my opinion. You're always posting about YOUR opinion. Always speaking in the first person, as though you're the important one! Sure, sure, you used the second and third person also in your message, but the paragraph was basically first person to the core. And even though you and I have been married for twelve years (although the last five could more correctly described as imprisoned together), and despite the fact that our twenty-five children are all named "Steven" regardless of gender at your behest, and regardless of the fact that I've had to wear a goat mask for ten long years because you "couldn't stand to be married to a non-goat one second longer", you still persist in claiming that They Might Be Giants are number three on your list! What cheek! I don't even want to mention the fact that you mud-wrestle professionally on Tuesdays and Sundays, but since I've already mentioned it I suppose it's too late now. You've driven lesser men to madness, and now you've reduced my sanity to ashes as well. Are you happy now? Answer me, are you happy now? Sure, hide behind the defense (as you always do) that you can't reply until I send this message... I know the truth, as do all of the good people on the TMBG mailing list. Don't even try to win us over with your concupiscent glances and your sacerdotal garb. It won't work -- you've tried before and failed. Remember Brazil, 1985? Need I remind you AND the entire list? I think the situation was unpleasant enough for all concerned that I should do the right thing and pretend that you never visited Brazil during that darkest of years. Don't you think that might be for the best? I should hope so. Yes, you might have a point -- I have been writing this damn message for far too long, and it's true that I need to go to sleep now. Damn your eyes! Any questions? If so, you can take them up with Ask Room 820, who holds court at . They're the best at what they do, and what they do is the best. So there, you pusillanimous pugilist! Sometimes I wish I was Tiger Woods, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 03:52:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's still non-tmbg. In a message dated 8/3/98 3:43:23 AM, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu wrote: >Remember Brazil, 1985? >Need I remind you AND the entire list? *okay* mitch:) miss leffel much?;) actually i am enjoying your silly posts. carry on. sarah "INAPPROPRIATE!" - clive clemons ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19980803081038.0069c644@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 03:10:38 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:non-tmbg: but now it's still non-tmbg. >>Remember Brazil, 1985? >>Need I remind you AND the entire list? > >*okay* mitch:) miss leffel much?;) I don't even know if I was on the list when Leffel was. I thought I was, but the way everyone speaks of him, I think that I must have missed him. My material is pure harf, baby. Harf plain and simple. Oh...what is harf, you ask? Well, I reply, simply visit and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you on fire! >actually i am enjoying your silly posts. carry on. Damn! My mission is a complete failure! Abort! Abort! Abandon ship! Fire in the hole! Man overboard! Shiver me timbers! Anchors away! Yadda yadda yadda! >sarah >"INAPPROPRIATE!" - clive clemons Like I said, you need to take a long walk off a short man named Raul, my friend. I'm not saying this because I love you, although that might at one time have compelled me to show up at your door naked save a tofu-toga and empty-handed save a bottle of tequila, but rather I am saying this because the South American nation of which you are in command is threatening to withhold coffeee from the South American nation of which I am in command, and since my nation has informed me in no uncertain terms that it will revolt if it is without coffeee (the special three 'e' variety), I have no choice but to continue this sentence until you have forgotten how it started (as I already have) and will be forced to read it over and over again, effectively hypnotizing yourself, which will result in your eternal devotion to me and my crazy plots to take over not only the world but also Thailand, which contrary to popular belief is not located on this world at all, but instead is located on my web page, a fact hitherto unknown to the world according to garp. Don't kiss me because I'm crazy, kiss me because I'm crazy and I am heavily armed and not inconsiderably dangerous. Or get me a doughnut. Harf, Mitch About a month ago I had a dream about a Chinese toothpaste that was elegant and solitary. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808030821.EAA01418@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 03:22:00 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Hey people, this is a TMBG mailing list, not a psycho crazy person mailing list! On topic posts, please! No more of this extensive babbling with little or nothing to do with They Might Be Giants! This list is only for telling people how much superior Barenaked Ladies and Moxy Fruvous are to TMBG, and for discussing how simple the music of TMBG is, and for reminiscing about Leffel, and (although only occasionally) discussing They Might Be Giants! Get it straight, bucko! Move it our lose it! Yeah, well, I think I've said enough with the above paragraph, but just in case I haven't, I'll keep writing. You see, I've got an exam in Number Theory tomorrow (in high school you have tests, in college they become exams), and I'd prefer to write this very sentence than to be asleep. Why? Well, I'll tell you why. Or maybe I won't. First I need to think of some clever reason. Or, failing that, I at least need to come up with something original or unexpected. As a last resort I could claim to have been lying when I promised to tell you why, but that is a little trite. Now I need to go back and read what exactly I'm supposed to be thinking of. Damn, I ended that last sentence in a preposition. Curses! I'm losing my touch. Oh, ok, so the reason why is that recently I entered into a very intimate, very deep relationship with someone. She's my thug, and I'm her thug. Wait, that reason might make too much sense. Oh well. You know what they say: You can lead a gift horse to water, but you can't let him have his water and drink it two. Or did they say troutsnout? I can never get it right. So now I'm really going to sleep. No more messages from freak boy tonight. Not unless I can write e-mail in my sleep. Well, actually, let me revise that -- I'll check my e-mail after I sent this filibuster, and I'll go to sleep if there is no mail I need to reply to. Ok? Do we have a deal? Good. It takes 2 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. honest. Mitch "This is a funny quote that makes you think that Mitch is quite witty for having put it here in his sig" Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 04:26:44 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: I'm guilty. Message-ID: <19980803.042647.3982.0.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) I would also like to admit that I haven't listened to TMBG either for quite a few months. Yesterday I had a golden opportunity to play TMBG. We were all kind of drunk and I wanted to play the "I hope that I get old before I die" from Then: TEY. (I call it the bar song or the drunken song.) However, we all decided that Portishead would better suit our moods (mellow.) Damn me! I love Rocko's Modern Life. It is the funniest show on TV. -Dave _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031248.IAA20275@elvis.vnet.net> From: "FD&C Blue #1" Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 08:49:03 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT turmoil finally settled -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Yobba... On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 00:06:09 EDT, Christi587@aol.com wrote: >is that he can't help us make shirts without the color-seperated design >exactly as he requested, and although Rob Plass and I have tried dozens of >times, I can't produce that. However, Rob assures me that he has the equipment Two words: Adobe Pagemaker *** Man... wish I'd been the one to think of mailing crumbled graham crackers! I'll have to remember that one; it might come in handy later on. ;) =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "I'm gonna get up in the morning ][ "I am not your broom." [h ] I believe I'll dust my broom." ][ [e =] - ZZ Top - ][ - TMBG - [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNcWxvr5BFpotHh45AQHrOwP/TGcD1dtzBlu0+29LROfIDbpLmIl6C3vm k4C/lCHNYth2cyGcgHGt9YGXTqFmiFct3ZHISVvV6BPzEqFtsPpf5OCzsFXYi4E5 O9ooT75/7JMI1lws03HORALKmt+MFhrI6TvlK0WG32/YbGC/a8hR8JTyt2kkn5Lr 05Og+UWgHPY= =xsj9 -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 08:48:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: Spiraling Shape In a message dated 8/3/98 12:13:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: > "people like something that's somewhat mysterious > and something that's left somewhat to your imagination. > As soon as you have it figured out, it ceases to be > interesting; it ceases to have magic or life or vitality." > --- Jerry Casale [Devo] Hmm ... that quote is strangely familiar in content. Almost like an interp for "Spiraling Shape." "Fogging the view, cupping face to the window, in darkness you make out a spiraling shape. Putting all reason aside you exchange what you've got for a thing that's hypnotic and strange." "And now that you've tried it, you're back to report that the spiraling shape was a fraud and a fake. You didn't enjoy it, you never believed it, there won't be a refund, you'll never go back." Arwen "My God! It's full of stars!" AnaNg ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <879dc463.35c5b4ae@aol.com> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 09:01:32 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: The art of NOT being simple - Frank Zappa In a message dated 8/3/98 1:48:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dext182@snet.net writes: > it's obviously > pleasant to listen to... but it isn't terribly difficult sounding > most of the time. of course, we know differently... This just made me think about a piece of music Frank Zappa wrote back in the mid-70's called "The Black Page." Written in 4/4 time, the measures encompass 5's, 7's and 11's (I'm no music major, so I could be using the wrong terminology) but in any case, if there's anyone out there interested in hearing one of the most complex pieces of music of this century, I'd recommend giving it a listen. Arwen "Nothing Special" AnaNg ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 08:12:09 -0500 (CDT) From: David Adams Subject: Re: TMBG: MO concert?? Message-ID: The college shows I've been to have been all ages. I don't know William Jewel's policy but most universities in that area are dry campuses, so no alcohol. My wife heard on the radio when we were in KC last weekend that TMBG is going to be in some multi-band festival on August 21, but I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere. It's being hosted by 107.3 and it will cost $10.73 to get in. DaveA On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Lynne wrote: > Hey. > I almost pissed my pants when I saw that They are coming to MO... > but, could someone tell me about those college shows? > It's at William Jewel College and I was wondering if anyone knows if > it'll be college students only or all ages or what? > I'll probably die if it's 21 and up. > > Thanks. > > Chris > chrisl@tmbg.org > > "Save the whales. Collect the whole set." > ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:56:59 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Message-ID: <19980803.110602.4638.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Sun, 02 Aug 1998 14:46:42 -0400 Kelley Ketchmark writes: >At 01:52 PM 8/2/98 -0400, you wrote: >>On Sun, 2 Aug 1998 12:41:24 -0400 "S. Bergeron" >>writes: >><> >>. The lyrics of this song are very >>>retarded, tho. It translates to something akin to this: >>> >>>You, >>>You have, >>>You have me, >>>You, >>>You have, >>>You have me, >>>You have asked me, >>>You have asked me, >>>You have asked me, and I have not said. >> >>Actually, the lyrics are >>You >>You Hate >>You Hate Me >>You hate me to say >>You hate me to say >>and I did not obey >> >>>I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it. Kiddie Heavy Metal. >> >>Yes, this is a very retarded song... > >No, I think S. Bergeron is correct. Du Hast = You have and Du Hasst >= You hate. I don't have the album or anything but I've heard the song and >I also speak fluent German. Is that a translation the band has posted >somewhere or is that what a friend told you? Actually, I saw it on empty V's show Say What where they scroll the lyrics across the screen as the artist says them... in the case of the Rammstein video they scrolled "You, You Hate, You Hate Me... etc." So maybe Rammstein aren't really German or maybe empty V just made a stab at it... Although I think on their CD they sing it in english and that song is called You Hate... but I'm not sure... It WAS great to see 'One Week" on Say What >Either way, it's a silly song lyrically, but at least something more >adventurous than the usual crap out there today. How often does a >non-English-singing song make it to the US mainstream? Almost never, >record companies have decided we're too wussy to handle it. Ahem... HEEEEEEEYY MACARENA! or what about "Rock Me Amadeus?" how about La Bamba? (boke on to mainstream twice... [a la Los Lobos]) Tim, Birchmout Stadium, Home of The Robbie Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD purchase: The Guitar (single) Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL >Kelley, >who wishes she could post something about Dr. Worm instead of >Rammstein but >hasn't heard DW yet anywhere public. > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:15:11 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf Message-ID: AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! (and sometimes y!) you may not have been around when mike leffel was here, mitch, but that's about as accurate an imitation of his style as i've seen yet... --jim kuemmerle, who thinks if you throw a few BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAs into the mix, tighten your margins, make seemingly random but astute references to popular culture, and keep your sentences shorter, you'd pretty much have it... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803162432.29159.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: NON-TMBG: Posting a lot (was Re: TMBG: dr worm on the radio) Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 09:24:31 PDT >Reply-To: tmbgirl@juno.com >sorry to post so much tonight but i'm really bored... Why do I see so many apologies for posting a lot on this list? The way I see it, this really only becomes a problem if you're posting messages with no content, or ones that simply repeat points that have been brought up recently. As long as you have something to say, you can post as much as you darn well please, as far as I'm concerned. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803163049.7554.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 09:30:48 PDT >Reply-To: Mitchell Harding >On topic posts, please! No more of this extensive babbling with little or >nothing to do with They Might Be Giants! Who's There May Be Giants? >It takes 2 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. honest. Well, maybe if you have one hell of a powerful tongue. What puzzles me is why you would WANT to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. There's a TOOTSIE ROLL in there, for God's sakes! -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Message-ID: <6fa2ec58.35c5e719@aol.com> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:36:40 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein >>No, I think S. Bergeron is correct. Du Hast = You have and Du Hasst = You hate. I don't have the album or anything but I've heard the song and I also speak fluent German. Is that a translation the band has posted somewhere or is that what a friend told you?<< Kellbell, I believe you are mistaken. I only speak a scratch of German, but "Hast" means hate. Hasst (isn't it actually spelt with the little B thingy?) means to have, doesn't it? I could be wrong, but I really doubt that 5 native Germans produced a song in which they confused the words hate and have. And to everyone saying Rammstein lyrics are retarded, I suggest listening to...well...almost all their songs that haven't made it big. Buck dich, please excuse my lack of an umlat, details deviant and unhealthy modern sexual practices, but being sung in German, can get on the radio here in the states. Also, to people who think that for a song to qualify as intellectual, it cannot be literal, give a listen to Alter Mann. There's definitely more to that song than meets the ear. Wait a minute...I'm defending intellectual content in industrial/metal music. Pardon me, but who gives a fuck? Rammstein could be babbling German nursery rhymes for all I care, it's good music to listening to whilst speeding around at 90 on gravel roads in pick ups with bald rear tires. Okay, now then, if anyone on this list has heard of Baby Doc (the techno musician, not the ruthless Haitian dictator), could you email me? I'm desperately searching for any material by this gentleman. Happy Moose is off to retrieve a copy of Herzeleid, the first Rammstein album, released only in Germany. I am a jelly donut/Berliner. ~Moo ser "Ja, Ja! Kraftwerk, Ja!" ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:31:08 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts Message-ID: <19980803.123713.3646.0.gray42@juno.com> Hmmmm.... Very interesting.... If you take every 3rd vowel from all of Mitch's posts, convert them to number code, add all the numbers together, multiply by 3, divide by 999, eat some creamy potato chowder, take the paper that you worked out the problem on, tear it up into millions of fragments, and glue them to a perfect square of cardboard, you get a word from the race of beectlebots which translates into 42, only when the word is held upside down.... hmmmmm Mysterio Gal (who would love it if Leffel and DNA got married.) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980803045127.006d2098@cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 23:51:27 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein At 12:36 PM 8/3/98 EDT, Vandal191@aol.com wrote: > >>>No, I think S. Bergeron is correct. Du Hast = You have and Du Hasst = You >hate. I don't have the album or anything but I've heard the song and I >also speak fluent German. Is that a translation the band has posted >somewhere or is that what a friend told you?<< > >Kellbell, I believe you are mistaken. I only speak a scratch of German, but >"Hast" means hate. Hasst (isn't it actually spelt with the little B thingy?) >means to have, doesn't it? I could be wrong, but I really doubt that 5 native >Germans produced a song in which they confused the words hate and have. When songs (or anything for that matter) are translated, they don't always come out exactly the same. Look at #3 and Greek #3. The band may have went with the "You, You hate, You hate me" sort of thing because at least taht way it would fit into how their song was originally sang, instead of creating a whole new rythem for the words. LDB, RamstEEn is just another Fad -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199808031701.NAA27104@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: MTV Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:01:28 -0400 (EDT) It has come to my attention that Severe Tire Damage is not on MTV's list of upcoming releases. Maybe some enterprising person can find some way to get them to put it up.... -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031719.NAA11545@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:16:26 +0000 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Posting a lot (was Re: TMBG: dr worm on the radio) > > Why do I see so many apologies for posting a lot on this list? The way > I see it, this really only becomes a problem if you're posting messages > with no content, or ones that simply repeat points that have been > brought up recently. As long as you have something to say, you can post > as much as you darn well please, as far as I'm concerned. > you could be very sorry for saying that, because as far as i'm concerned, i always have something to say. never do i shut up. i've been told i talk constantly, even in my sleep. you may be asking yourself- how is that POSSIBLE? but then again, you may not be, so i won't tell you why, so there. the infamous thug- ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031720.NAA28280@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:20:21 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf At 10:15 AM 8/3/98 -0600, you wrote: >you may not have been around when mike leffel was here, mitch, but that's >about as accurate an imitation of his style as i've seen yet... I prefer to believe that he was immitating my style. After all, I think I'm twice the Roman emperor that Mr. Leffel was, and less than half the Hessian. Prove me wrong and I'll beat ya upside the head with my trusty companion Tristram, the half-monkey half-bicycle monstrosity that I like to call my unholy progeny. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031723.NAA28821@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:24:09 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts >>It takes 2 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. honest. > >Well, maybe if you have one hell of a powerful tongue. What puzzles me >is why you would WANT to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. There's a >TOOTSIE ROLL in there, for God's sakes! Permit me to say, dear friend, that you should count yourself among the lucky if, when at long last you arrive at the center of a tootsie pop, you find yourself confronted solely with a tootsie roll. I was in 'Nam, man, and I can't begin to enumerate the number of buddies I lost to the popular misconception that all tootsie pops conceal only a tootsie roll and not, for example, an entire battalion of Viet Cong. Yes, please! Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031724.NAA17907@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:21:38 +0000 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts > >On topic posts, please! No more of this extensive babbling with little > or > >nothing to do with They Might Be Giants! > > Who's There May Be Giants? duh-uh! they might be giants are 5 peanuts we so affectionatly call bob, joe, snider, TOWNSEND, and uzbeck. geez. don't you know ANYTHING? > >It takes 2 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. honest. > > Well, maybe if you have one hell of a powerful tongue. What puzzles me > is why you would WANT to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. There's a > TOOTSIE ROLL in there, for God's sakes! now... i don't know what kind of tootsie pops YOU'VE been eating... but if i were to actually find a TOOTSIE roll instead of nuclear weapons in the center of MY tootsie pop... well, i'd be afraid. ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031727.NAA29070@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:27:23 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts >Hmmmm.... Very interesting.... If you take every 3rd vowel from all of >Mitch's posts, convert them to number code, add all the numbers together, >multiply by 3, divide by 999, eat some creamy potato chowder, take the >paper that you worked out the problem on, tear it up into millions of >fragments, and glue them to a perfect square of cardboard, you get a word >from the race of beectlebots which translates into 42, only when the word >is held upside down.... hmmmmm Finally someone understands me! Slovenly turtle and the blue goat, yes yes! Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000601bdbf04$d09768c0$4d701ad0@kathy> From: "Kathy Hardiman" Subject: TMBG: Sever Tire Damage....i have it!!! listening party info... Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:33:02 -0400 guess what!?!?!? i have severe tire damage!!!!!! oh, i severely love being a radio big-wig!!! i got it with my weekly cd delivery! so far, it sounds great....there's a rocking version of istambul, and a great version of birdhouse! oh god.....its just so darn good!!!!! and for any and all listeners in the providence/rhode island area, if you tune in on sunday, august 9th between 12pm-2pm on 88.1 WELH-FM, we're doing a Severe Tire Listening party where we're playing the WHOLE CD and ALL TMBG for the ENTIRE TWO HOURS!!!!!! you can hear it all before it arrives on the 11th! and we'll be accepting TMBG requests only on that day....so hopefully a lot of you will be able to call in.....if anyone here is anywhere near RI. excited and happy, kathy. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 11:32:17 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: harf forever! Message-ID: i'm glad to see that the list has returned to its normal degree of silliness and incomprehensibility! --jim kuemmerle, official TMBG ambassador to the blue goat! j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ what's that blue goat doing here, anyway? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031735.NAA01690@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:32:43 +0000 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts > > Finally someone understands me! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. > Slovenly turtle and the blue goat, yes yes! hey! watch your comments about turtles... terry can get PRETTY angry.... and boy, you don't want to come across a turtle armed with nuclear weapons and germ warfare.... no sirree bob. of course, you don't want to come across a sandwich either... *shiver* man oh man.... then would YOU get it... ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980803053707.006caa64@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 00:37:07 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf At 12:20 PM 8/3/98 -0500, Mitchell Harding wrote: >At 10:15 AM 8/3/98 -0600, you wrote: >>you may not have been around when mike leffel was here, mitch, but that's >>about as accurate an imitation of his style as i've seen yet... > >I prefer to believe that he was immitating my style. After all, I think I'm >twice the Roman emperor that Mr. Leffel was, and less than half the >Hessian. Prove me wrong and I'll beat ya upside the head with my trusty >companion Tristram, the half-monkey half-bicycle monstrosity that I like to >call my unholy progeny. > Okay sonny. This is where I step in. I was there when the universe was born. To be exact, I was there when I was born. Then one day I had really bad gas and exploded, I flew out in millions of directions in googles of pieces. I found it odd that I now had arms and legs and hands feet, it apears this "body" was all that wasn't destroyed. Though, I still can feel every thing in my googles of pieces. I floated around in "space" for many years, until I felt a strange force beckoning me. This force was powerful and I swam towards it. I landed on this place you call "earth," that I really know is just a chunk of me. (BY THE WAY, stop littering, it hurts) To make a long story, only a tad bit shorter: Yaddayaddayadda, I met Mike Leffel on this mailing list. Yaddayaddayadda, He was much more porwerful than you. Blahblahblahblah, Mike hails from the 5th plane. Quadhfdadf, You smell like moldy cheese. LDB, stick that in your gun and shoot it. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031745.NAA00814@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:45:18 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re:Non-TMBG: harf forever! First let me say that for making the subject of this message "harf forever", I am pleased as punch and tinkled pink, not to mention happy as fruit drink and fondled orange. It truly is a good day to declare "Harf forever!". Harf -- Yes, it's a web page, but it could be your grandfather's web page! At 11:32 AM 8/3/98 -0600, you wrote: >i'm glad to see that the list has returned to its normal degree of >silliness and incomprehensibility! Perhaps its incomprehensible to you, my good man, but I think that is primarily because you are in possession of a prime number of torsos, keeping in mind that one is certainly not a prime number. Time for me to sleep again. Yes, I sleep at all hours of the day. My madness drains me. I'm like a predator -- I have brief periods of high activity and I spend the rest of the time sleeping. Compare me to a cat, if it helps, but always remember this: A stitch in time is a penny earned. >--jim kuemmerle, official TMBG ambassador to the blue goat! >what's that blue goat doing here, anyway? I must confess, the blue goat was not of my creation. While writing that message I was at a loss for inspiration -- I had written "slovenly turtle" but wasn't sure how to proceed. I summoned the biggest bear and consulted her on the issue. To be precise, I requested from her and adjective and a noun. After clearing up for her what an adjective was (you know how bears are), she quickly supplied me with blue and goat. So no glory for blue goat should be mine, I'm afraid. I'm not really afraid, but you know what I mean. Sanskrit on my skull, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803174515.7162.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:45:14 PDT >Reply-To: "dext182" >> >It takes 2 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. honest. >> >> Well, maybe if you have one hell of a powerful tongue. What puzzles me >> is why you would WANT to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. There's a >> TOOTSIE ROLL in there, for God's sakes! > >now... i don't know what kind of tootsie pops YOU'VE been eating... >but if i were to actually find a TOOTSIE roll instead of nuclear >weapons in the center of MY tootsie pop... well, i'd be afraid. I can just see the commercials: Kid: Mr. Owl, how many licks does it take to get the center of a Tootsie Pop? Mr. Owl: Let's find out. A-one, a-two, a-three. (Mr. Owl's atoms are suddenly scattered across three continents.) -- Nathan, who doesn't think you even WANT to know what's in the center of a Blow Pop DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031749.NAA01143@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:49:50 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts >> Slovenly turtle and the blue goat, yes yes! > >hey! watch your comments about turtles... terry can get PRETTY >angry.... and boy, you don't want to come across a turtle armed with >nuclear weapons and germ warfare.... no sirree bob. Pardon my French, but Je suis le Tour Eiffel. >of course, you don't want to come across a sandwich either... >*shiver* man oh man.... then would YOU get it... I have crossed paths with Sandwich on more than one occasion. True, Sandwich is a fierce enemy, but when the chips are down and all is said and done, Sandwich is no match for Pickled Okra. Not in this galaxy anyway. Why do I say that? It was more than just an idle remark. It is a little known fact that Sandwich comes from a distant galaxy where, strangely, gravity is far less powerful. As a result Sandwich is forced to content not only with the incredibly marksmanship and flexiblity of Pickled Okra, but Sandwich must also combat the crushing gravity. And let us all thank harf that we do have such powerful gravity, lest we live under the relentless dominion of Sandwich. Harf, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031751.NAA01271@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:51:49 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf >To make a long story, only a tad bit shorter: > >Yaddayaddayadda, I met Mike Leffel on this mailing list. > >Yaddayaddayadda, He was much more porwerful than you. > >Blahblahblahblah, Mike hails from the 5th plane. > >Quadhfdadf, You smell like moldy cheese. > >LDB, stick that in your gun and shoot it. I think that the following retort, composed of only six words, will amply refute not only your claims but also your entire existence: The panda is a giant raccoon. Harf, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031752.NAA23111@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:49:42 +0000 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts > > > >now... i don't know what kind of tootsie pops YOU'VE been eating... > >but if i were to actually find a TOOTSIE roll instead of nuclear > >weapons in the center of MY tootsie pop... well, i'd be afraid. > > I can just see the commercials: > > Kid: Mr. Owl, how many licks does it take to get the center of a Tootsie > Pop? > Mr. Owl: Let's find out. A-one, a-two, a-three. > (Mr. Owl's atoms are suddenly scattered across three continents.) > no no no. i was mistaken. see, in thecenter of a tootsie pop lies germ warfare... so it would be more like this- kid: Mr. Owl, why do you look so funny? Mr.Owl: because i was born that way, kid. kid: well, Mr. Owl, you look pretty ugly. like moldy birthday cake and scattered bits of garbage. Mr. Owl: shut up and eat you damn tootsie pop. And THEN a dealy flesh eating virus would spread through out the world and kill off all the stupid people, making this a happier place to be, anyway. THE END. ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803175417.7630.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: harf forever! Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:54:16 PDT >Reply-To: J Kuemmerle >what's that blue goat doing here, anyway? The breast stroke, I think. (The goat's a horny ol' bastard, y'know.) -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031754.NAA26234@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:52:02 +0000 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf > > The panda is a giant raccoon. i always thought of it as more of a turtle-ish animal, personally. ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:56:32 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts >I can just see the commercials: > >Kid: Mr. Owl, how many licks does it take to get the center of a Tootsie >Pop? >Mr. Owl: Let's find out. A-one, a-two, a-three. >(Mr. Owl's atoms are suddenly scattered across three continents.) Little known fact: Mr. Owl was better known from Gone With The Wind, in which he played every role save the two leads roles. Ok, one can certainly have too much of a good thing. Maybe even too much of a harfy thing. The anger of the people will increase when they see what harfishness has taken over their mailing list. I don't want to saturate the list with harf, although harf should be known to all. Therefore I'm going to begin a hiatus on harfy posts. I don't know how long it will last -- could be hours, could be days. But as we all know from elementary topology, too much silliness can cause explosive decompression. Until then, good day and good harf to you all. Tide yourselves over by visiting the Harf Project: Harf, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808031756.NAA28124@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:53:32 +0000 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Off-topic posts > > > no no no. i was mistaken. see, in thecenter of a tootsie pop lies > germ warfare... so it would be more like this- > > kid: Mr. Owl, why do you look so funny? > > Mr.Owl: because i was born that way, kid. > > kid: well, Mr. Owl, you look pretty ugly. like moldy birthday cake > and scattered bits of garbage. > > Mr. Owl: shut up and eat you damn tootsie pop. > > And THEN a dealy flesh eating virus would spread through out the > world and kill off all the stupid people, making this a happier place > to be, anyway. > i meant deadly. i'm not as stupid as i look. > THE END. > > > ~jen~ > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 11:56:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harf posts Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > Pardon my French, but Je suis le Tour Eiffel. mike leffel is alive and well and living in paris. of course, he's also very tall now, and made out of metal... > >of course, you don't want to come across a sandwich either... > >*shiver* man oh man.... then would YOU get it... > > I have crossed paths with Sandwich on more than one occasion. True, > Sandwich is a fierce enemy, but when the chips are down and all is said and > done, Sandwich is no match for Pickled Okra. how about when all is said and done and the chips are in a good mood again? --jim kuemmerle, who reminds you that his race of aliens is hiding out as ABBA and double coupons in your sunday paper... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ i am from roswell, after all. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:04:04 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re:Non-TMBG: harf forever! Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > First let me say that for making the subject of this message "harf > forever", I am pleased as punch and tinkled pink, not to mention happy as > fruit drink and fondled orange. nor, it should be said, content as a wallop or stroked blue... > It truly is a good day to declare "Harf forever!". > > Harf -- > > Yes, it's a web page, but it could be your grandfather's web page! not unless you're my grandfather. (MITCH: search your heart, you know it to be true! JIM: i'll never join you! (throws self off leffel tower) AIIIIEEEEE!!! and sometimes Y!) > I must confess, the blue goat was not of my creation. While writing that > message I was at a loss for inspiration -- I had written "slovenly turtle" > but wasn't sure how to proceed. I summoned the biggest bear and consulted > her on the issue. To be precise, I requested from her and adjective and a > noun. After clearing up for her what an adjective was (you know how bears > are), she quickly supplied me with blue and goat. So no glory for blue goat > should be mine, I'm afraid. I'm not really afraid, but you know what I mean. i know what you mean. bear with me. --jim kuemmerle, giant raccoon with you... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:04:37 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 Vandal191@aol.com wrote: > Kellbell, I believe you are mistaken. I only speak a scratch of German, but > "Hast" means hate. Hasst (isn't it actually spelt with the little B thingy?) > means to have, doesn't it? nope. other way around. haBt means 'you hate', hast means 'you have'. they're pronounced exactly the same way, unless there's a little subtlety to the s/B thing that i'm missing. > I could be wrong, but I really doubt that 5 native Germans produced a > song in which they confused the words hate and have. *they* know which one is which. it's only us gringos who're getting it all balled up... --jim kuemmerle, who doesn't know the german equivalent of 'gringo'... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980803060755.006ac874@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 01:07:55 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harfyboy >I think that the following retort, composed of only six words, will amply >refute not only your claims but also your entire existence: > >The panda is a giant raccoon. > That was funny the first time I heard it. Back in those days I was a stand up commedian, entertaining people for only a few shillings a club. Then one day a guy named Wacky Willie Shakespear opened for me. He was mildly funny, his jokes had jokes like: "Thou could rideth a bug to school." "Thine mind is thine Jelly Donut." and "The panda is a giant racoon." :Although I sort of liked this man, the crowds did not. They threw diseased rat's at him and screamed for his death. He escaped with only a few wounds, and later rewrote his jokes and called them "sonnets." He went on to make mildly funny plays out of these jokes. LDB, The Universe. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980803181439.3921.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:14:38 PDT >Reply-To: J Kuemmerle > >On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 Vandal191@aol.com wrote: > >> Kellbell, I believe you are mistaken. I only speak a scratch of German, but >> "Hast" means hate. Hasst (isn't it actually spelt with the little B thingy?) >> means to have, doesn't it? > >nope. other way around. haBt means 'you hate', hast means 'you have'. >they're pronounced exactly the same way, unless there's a little subtlety >to the s/B thing that i'm missing. Well, it's not really a B. It LOOKS like a B to ignorant fools like us, but it's actually an "sz." Despite its the name, the "sz" is actually a double s. Also, I think there's an umlaut in the word for "hate." If you don't have these things on your keyboard, I would think that the best way to write "you hate" in German would be "du haesst." -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:22:34 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Harfyboy Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > "Thou could rideth a bug to school." the dominance of volkswagen is eternal. little upstarts like microsoft, the IRS, coca cola, and the roman empire pale in comparison. --jim kuemmerle, wer hat keinem Auto, und wer Deutsch butchiert horriblisch... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ speaking of stuff coming out of germany.... ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:19:52 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: harf forever! Message-ID: <19980803.122413.3286.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> >>what's that blue goat doing here, anyway? > >The breast stroke, I think. (The goat's a horny ol' bastard, y'know.) heh... as you all may know i am a freek-swimmer and well we used to get t-shirts and on the back of them you could get stuff written out... anyways my friend had "BREASTSTROKER" written on his shirt and he couldn't understand why i would laugh at him every time i saw him :P sorry, i thought i'd share my memories with all of you since you provoked them :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:24:41 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, VoVat Quetzalcoatlus wrote: > Well, it's not really a B. It LOOKS like a B to ignorant fools like us, > but it's actually an "sz." (read "ess tset") > Despite its the name, the "sz" is actually a double s. Also, I think > there's an umlaut in the word for "hate." If you don't have these > things on your keyboard, I would think that the best way to write "you > hate" in German would be "du haesst." ah, right! i'd forgotten about the umlaut... --jim kuemmerle, who hasn't spoken german in about six years... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ i liked spanish better anyway... ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:23:09 -0600 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: harf forever! Message-ID: <19980803.122413.3286.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEy! >It truly is a good day to declare "Harf forever!". can i join the harf forever fan club? i wanna be official harf fan #3. where do i send my crumbled up graham crackers so that i can receive my membership card? :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 14:46:49 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Certain People Message-ID: <19980803.145846.3686.1.gray42@juno.com> Does noone realize the consequences of looping "Certain People" Forwards and Backwards continuously whilst reading the harf on this list? PLLPPLPPLPPLPPLPPLPLLPP Mysterio Gal (who needs drugs?) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-4 ****************************