Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 7 Friday, 7 August 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Back from NYC...thanks for the info TMBG: Rammstein Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein and German and stuff Re: TMBG: flansie's wardrobe (aka: Space Ghost) Re: NON - TMBG: in the comics (STD) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #9-6 TMBG: Jamie's Plan Works. And HERE'S PROOF! Re: NON - TMBG: in the comics (STD) TMBG: Re: CD Universe Big Bang Newsletter Re: TMBG: Re: CD Universe Big Bang Newsletter TMBG: TMBG - New STD stuff at TMBG.org Non TMBG: Marker Men TMBG: #TMBG/mp3 page back up Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein and German and stuff Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein and German and stuff Re: NON-TMBG: Lounge act. Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #9-6 Re: TMBG: Re: CD Universe Big Bang Newsletter Re: TMBG: Re: CD Universe Big Bang Newsletter TMBG: info club TMBG: Monopuff Question, Space Ghost TMBG: STD Re: TMBG: Monopuff Question, Space Ghost TMBG: Re: cd listening thing TMBG: 3 new mp3s!!! TMBG: Man of the Century? How? TMBG:space ghost TMBG: Interview questions Re: TMBG: Interview questions TMBG: whistling in the dark Re: TMBG: Interview questions TMBG: Monopuff Question Re: TMBG: Monopuff Question Re: TMBG: Monopuff Question Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Re: TMBG: Interview questions Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Re: TMBG: Interview questions Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Re: TMBG: Interview questions Re: TMBG: Interview questions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <35C96263.23F38045@earthlink.net> Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 00:59:31 -0700 From: KenL Subject: TMBG: Back from NYC...thanks for the info Greetings music fans... Just returned from New York the other day. Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me with the names of various record stores to check out. It turns out that I remembered or was familiar with almost all of the ones people mentioned but it was good to be reminded. I found lots of interesting trinkets Costello/XTC/TMBG related which I will discuss on those specific lists. Hopefully on a future trip I can meet some of you fellow list dwellers from the Big Apple...if I can ever escape L.A. again.. KL ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980806080950.19206.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: TMBG: Rammstein Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 01:09:50 PDT It's entirely correct that "Du hast" means "You have". If Rammstein intended "You hate" as the title, it is "Du ha(ss)t", the second person form of ha(ss)en, "to hate" the (ss) indicates an s-set, or the funny B looking charachter in German that indicates a double s. There is a posibility that either the company had no s-set in their typeface for the CD case, or it's simply a misspelling. Esquivel ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C9B8BA.5353511C@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:07:54 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein and German and stuff Scott Reed wrote: > > It's entirely correct that "Du hast" means "You have". > If Rammstein intended "You hate" as the title, it is "Du ha(ss)t", the Actually hassen gets umlauts in du and er/sie/es, so it would be haesst (where ae is the "I don't have an a-umlaut" key and ss is the "I don't have an ess-tzet" key). > There is a posibility that either the company had no s-set in their > typeface for the CD case, or it's simply a misspelling. That seems plausible to me. Of course I've never heard of Rammstein the band or the song at all, but I do have too much German in my head... - Chad ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980806093049.006963a0@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:30:49 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: flansie's wardrobe (aka: Space Ghost) arwen wrote: >He's wearing a Soul Coughing t-shirt in the picture I took with him. > > -- Arwen, seems to be bragging a lot today > oh, my bad. ok so that makes about 7: a brown and yellow terry cloth t-shirt, a lumber-jack-looking-flannel and a bright orange t shirt. and according to sarah he has a cub shirt and a "devil girl chocolate bar" one (which may be the same as the orange one). then the soul coughing shirt you mentioned, and now that i think about it i remember seeing him in a black, frank black t many a time. hee hee. this number is purely estimation though, as i am sure he has oodles more flannels and they just all look the same to me. anyone else care to add anything to our beautiful list? ;) ...i just think it's funny (justifying obsessivness) that when i saw tmbg twice in a 7 day period he was wearing the same shirt at both shows and also at the SG interview which was taped a year earlier. kooky. meow, rachel "obsessive projects" can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy, (or whatever it is that you do) "i stay inside, i have no television. but i can recite edgar allan poe line for line..." ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 10:44:31 -0400 Subject: Re: NON - TMBG: in the comics (STD) Message-ID: <19980806.104804.4606.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 11:30:13 PDT "Josh Buckland" writes: >>But I just wanted to tell the list about this... > >I it's been done. > Yeah, I realized that once I sent it... people who have Juno can relate... You get AND send mail at the same time.. so I wrote my post first and then sent it, then Juno got all my NEW mail and in that was a post about the same thing... sorry... Tim, starting now I'm finished with lies Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD purchase: Perennial Favorites - Squirrel Nut Zippers (free poster w/ purchase!) Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL >Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com > ICQ#: 16461969 contact me! > http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ <> _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:00:00 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #9-6 Message-ID: <19980806.110002.4574.4.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) On some day, at some time, with some fingers, someone wrote: > >> It was beautiful. My friend >got >pictures of them back stage. He posed as a photographer and got to >shake >Linnel's hand and got a high five from Flans. Needless to say I was >jealous, but he got some kick ass pictures. Ok, after he was done did he offer one of the Johns a Mentos? -Farf, Dave __________________________________________ "Feel the strength of my two-ply!" - Mortimer Kahn, as a roll of toilet paper. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: pburge@uo.com Message-ID: <65C15B132BFAD0118EB400A0C96EAD8CFB98@HELMHOLTZ> Subject: TMBG: Jamie's Plan Works. And HERE'S PROOF! Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:15:14 -0400 Point yer web browser to http://www.wfnx.com and follow the link at the bottom of the page to "top 20." Look down there at the bottom. Number 20 on the WFNX play list. They Might Be Giants. Dr. Worm. I'm convinced that this is due in large part to a large number of requests by Boston area TMBG fans (myself included), both by phone and by e-mail. I hope all Boston area TMBG fans will keep up the pressure and help get it moved up the list. WFNX is an influential station in the region and perhaps beyond. They also boast to be the most listened to station on the internet. So Boston Giantheads, keep up the good work. And everyone else, take this as proof that diligent, persistent requesting does work. Next time a DJ laughs at you for requesting Dr. Worm, laugh back and say "Sorry, I thought you guys were on top of it." Then point them to the above web sight. -- Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:49:52 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: CD Universe Big Bang Newsletter Message-ID: <19980806.095218.11142.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEy! anyone know why STD isn't on here? please don't tell me they delayed the release date... i would have to cry. >The BIG BANG Newsletter >Volume 2, Issue 43, Released - August 5, 1998 >::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: >:: Recent and Upcoming Rock/Pop Releases for >:: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 >::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: > >Remember, place your order for new releases by 2:00 PM EST on Friday >and we >will ship them to you on Monday. ALL ITEMS LISTED ARE CURRENTLY ON >SALE. >Check the CD Universe web site for the most up-to-date prices. > >DISHWALLA And You Think You Know What Life's About >HOOVERPHONIC Blue Wonder Power Milk >LIZ PHAIR Whitechocolatespaceegg >BEACH BOYS Endless Harmony >SCREECHING WEASEL Television City Dream >THE AVENGERS Original Soundtrack (Feat. Sugar Ray, Dishwalla, and many >more) >DEAD MAN ON CAMPUS Original Soundtrack (Feat. Marilyn Manson and many >more) >MICKEY HART Supralingua >SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS Perennial Favorites >SEX PISTOLS Back & There Again [4 CD Box Set] > >Keep in mind that all release dates are tentative and beyond our >control. hoping that cduniverse is just retarded.... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:55:53 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: CD Universe Big Bang Newsletter Message-id: <35C9D209.13FB@rollins.edu> Organization: Rollins College Seeing as how the squirrel nut zippers CD came out two days ago, I'd say they're just a big bunch of retardo montalbans.... tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > > hEY hEy! > anyone know why STD isn't on here? please don't tell me they delayed the > release date... i would have to cry. > > >The BIG BANG Newsletter > >Volume 2, Issue 43, Released - August 5, 1998 > > >::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: > >:: Recent and Upcoming Rock/Pop Releases for > >:: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 > >::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: > > > >Remember, place your order for new releases by 2:00 PM EST on Friday > >and we > >will ship them to you on Monday. ALL ITEMS LISTED ARE CURRENTLY ON > >SALE. > >Check the CD Universe web site for the most up-to-date prices. > > > >DISHWALLA And You Think You Know What Life's About > >HOOVERPHONIC Blue Wonder Power Milk > >LIZ PHAIR Whitechocolatespaceegg > >BEACH BOYS Endless Harmony > >SCREECHING WEASEL Television City Dream > >THE AVENGERS Original Soundtrack (Feat. Sugar Ray, Dishwalla, and many > >more) > >DEAD MAN ON CAMPUS Original Soundtrack (Feat. Marilyn Manson and many > >more) > >MICKEY HART Supralingua > >SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS Perennial Favorites > >SEX PISTOLS Back & There Again [4 CD Box Set] > > > >Keep in mind that all release dates are tentative and beyond our > >control. > > > hoping that cduniverse is just retarded.... > > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html > > _____________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com > Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:29:34 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG - New STD stuff at TMBG.org Message-ID: <19980806.122150.12894.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Wow I loved the new Severe Tire Damage stuff I found at TMBG.org... I especially liked Leo's narration... except when he said Ana NIG!!! NIG? Leo! What was that all about... surely the webmaster of your and my source for TMBG news owns a copy of Lincoln! C'mon, Leo! Sorry about this extra post... but since my last one was NON-TMBG... I think this one is OK... Leo: Was that a joke? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Ana Nig Last CD purchase:Perennial Favorites - Squirrel Nut Zippers Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:38:37 -0400 Subject: Non TMBG: Marker Men Message-ID: <19980806.123856.3302.0.gray42@juno.com> Oh My Dear God, The Marker Men were on Conan O' Brian last night, it was absolutely perfect, maniacs from outer space with their shirts pulled over their heads, a perfect likeness for a marker man. It's a name I came up with a couple months ago, when I was explaining to a freind why half my head was shaved, I said "I was abducted by a marker man!" And then later that night he pulled his shirt over his head and started running around and screaming. And I exclaimed "Oh My God! A Marker Man!" Did anyone else see the unknown space visitors last night on Conan? Mysterio Gal (who finally started to watch Conan after a month of completely ignoring television) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871/mysterio.htm (find out about The Marker Men here!) The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:04:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: #TMBG/mp3 page back up Message-ID: Well...the #TMBG Home Page is back up... and along with it, all the mp3s that used to be up are up for a while. Including every track of Dr. Spock's Backup Band in 256kbps mp3s. Check it out and d/l the stuff you don't have...more to come soon.. Jish EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://tmbg.pc.cc.cmu.edu/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808061709.NAA02949@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:06:44 +0000 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein and German and stuff > > > > It's entirely correct that "Du hast" means "You have". > > If Rammstein intended "You hate" as the title, it is "Du ha(ss)t", the > > Actually hassen gets umlauts in du and er/sie/es, so it would be > haesst (where ae is the "I don't have an a-umlaut" key and ss is the > "I don't have an ess-tzet" key). > > > There is a posibility that either the company had no s-set in their > > typeface for the CD case, or it's simply a misspelling. > > That seems plausible to me. Of course I've never heard of Rammstein the > band or the song at all, but I do have too much German in my head... > > - Chad > > ok. it seems to me that german is a terribly hard and complicated language if it's this hard to figure out what one word means. i only know one word in german. unterseeboot, but thats spelled wrong. meaning u-boat. meaning submarine : ) great. i shared my knowledge. now think of a world without dog food. ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808061720.NAA12103@elvis.vnet.net> From: "FD&C Blue #1" Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 13:20:49 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rammstein and German and stuff -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- On Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:07:54 -0500, Chad Maloney wrote: >> There is a posibility that either the company had no s-set in their >> typeface for the CD case, or it's simply a misspelling. > >That seems plausible to me. Of course I've never heard of Rammstein the >band or the song at all, but I do have too much German in my head... Well, kids, if you have actually heard the song (ugh), you will know that the "du hast" bit is part of the phrase, "du hast mich gefragt" ("you asked me"). Therefore there's no hatred (or haste :) involved. I wandered past this light, bouncy tune on MTV once; the VJ said the video was like a Tarantino film because the band are fans of his stuff... I dunno about that, but there's guys in shirts and ties, and stuff blows up... could be any film involving the Mafia. :) Moo, =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "I'm gonna get up in the morning ][ "I am not your broom." [h ] I believe I'll dust my broom." ][ [e =] - ZZ Top - ][ - TMBG - [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNcnl8b5BFpotHh45AQHYUgQArSWrXVoRD+L3bvLcGRQQkwa3KtlFqFgX GPAbbmXIaLR8VGGuZmPrGcW2Eog9x6UgvLZaBMIi2c603kkQUPO4R8S4Voxp6ZGD WK2oEBgS9mDzaC9EnzhNBCq/9tQ9tyIVf3eVmy40FZq55GLfjkkUVqLyM3EWTR+Z rA6CjzXX5/A= =R32w -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <5da799be.35c9ecd5@aol.com> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:50:12 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Lounge act. It was a waste of space because I didn't write anything but my friend has all four. I can't really judge the dragon warrior games because I've never played them ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:53:32 -0500 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #9-6 >Ok, after he was done did he offer one of the Johns >a Mentos? Unfortunately, no, but he was going to offer to take them both out to Perkins. However, he never got the chance too. It's cool that STD is going to have all The Planet of the Apes songs as hidden tracks. Why you ask? As the Johns stated at the concert cause of certain laws, and for the same reason they had to change the name of Nyquil Driver to AKA Driver. That was a humerous part of the concert. Jason "yes I am insane, but who cares" Arnold ------------------------------ From: Coffeesgrl@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 15:59:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: CD Universe Big Bang Newsletter In a message dated 8/6/98 11:55:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << hEY hEy! anyone know why STD isn't on here? please don't tell me they delayed the release date... i would have to cry. >> I was at The Wall today and was looking at the release dates for the 11th and I didn't see it there. I asked the lady there and she was looking through all the paperwork and finally found it. So, it is still scheduled to come out the 11th. I'm glad I asked because they were only getting 4(!!!) copies in. So, my friend Kim and I have 2 reserved. ~alison ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:05:02 -0500 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: CD Universe Big Bang Newsletter >I was at The Wall today and was looking at the release dates for the 11th and >I didn't see it there. I asked the lady there and she was looking through all >the paperwork and finally found it. So, it is still scheduled to come out the >11th. I'm glad I asked because they were only getting 4(!!!) copies in. So, >my friend Kim and I have 2 reserved. > >~alison At the concert in Minn. the Johns gave a shameless promotion for STD as they should and they said it was going to be on the 11th so don't worry about it gettin pushed back. I trust the wisdom of the Johns. Jason "The Johns got me high" Arnold ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980806213500.4222.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: TMBG: info club Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 14:34:59 PDT Not to change any of the topics that are going on in the list now, but does anyone know about a new info club mailing coming out any time soon? Or has there been one, and I was unfortunate enough to have my name taken off that mailing list? mike "not able to contain himself for 5 more days" fink ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <2c84627a.35ca2e7a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:30:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: Monopuff Question, Space Ghost Hello 41- First, a question about the graphics on the cover of the first Monopuff Hello release. There are guys on the cover with flags, making letters for Monopuff... Does anybody know the official term for those guys? Or their flagging? Anyone have resources for this? Help would be appriciated! I hate to bring this up and bring the group down (possible, not probable). I really doubt Flans will be on Space Ghost this season. Reasons: #1 Flansburgh was on Space Ghost allready. The style of the show isn't really to bring him back if they said they were going to. It's just not. #2 Someone got the episode guide for this season, and he isn't on it. Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808062233.SAA07621@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:30:52 +0000 Subject: TMBG: STD ok, so i was watching the simpsons just about 5 minutes ago and there was homer, walking along all mad because he felt all alone and didn't have a soul mate, so they did one of those thins where signs pass by the person, making it look like they were going somehwere and time was lapsing and they were thinking... and there was a sign that said "no trespassing" and one that said "closed" and those sorts of things, and then there was one that said "severe tire damage" and i was like- cool! yeah. life without catfood sucks too. ~jen~ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:59:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Question, Space Ghost >#1 Flansburgh was on Space Ghost allready. The style of the show >isn't really to bring him back if they said they were going to. It's just >not. nope, it didn't. unless, maybe you were the only one to see it... :] Space Ghost himself (heehe) - spaceghost@aol.com - said it'll be airing this season. ::shrug:: sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bdc197$51214800$5f701ad0@kathy> From: "Kathy Hardiman" Subject: TMBG: Re: cd listening thing Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:07:05 -0400 jee whiz people!!!!! i've been a dj for seemingly ages!!!! y'all are taking me way too literally!!!!! by saying, CD listening party ,that means that the show is focused on 1. promoting the cd 2. celebrating the cd 3. celebrating TMBG and to celebrate anything constitutes a party. and.....do you think that i'd be so crass as to play the whole cd in order so that lame cheap-o jerkoffs could just copy it?!?!?!? shit, do you know the humiliation i had to endure to even get the damn record in the first place!!?! thirdly, we ARE a meger college station that is only allowed on the gigantic mighty non-commercial 88.1 frequency but once a week!!!! this station is normally pre-recorded spanish programming and robo-jazz at night. nobody knows we exist, our friends and students make up our audience......HENCE when we get a chance to do something different and "hip", we jump at it! when the b-52's compilation came out, we made a point to do something special. we played the entire mono-puff album over the course of one show interdispersed by other good music, and the only coment we received was from a listener happy that we didn't conform to the play-list bible that imprisons most other stations. hence, being the alt.music director ( a humble, trying position especially in such a closeminded state such as RI), i make yet another invitation that is more specific..... on sunday, 88.1 WELH-FM (RIC Radio Sunday) will feature a day of Giants between 12 and 2pm. this show will be a touching retrospective over the career of the giants highlighting songs that never made the hit charts, and featuring, on and off throughout the show, tracks from the up-coming STDamage album. Added to this conundrum will be banter between two DJs that have known and loved the giants from the start. so, if you live in providence, or RI for that matter, tune in. you might learn something.....and leave your recorders on the shelves....we'll be sure to do pleanty of talkovers and stations liners to watermark the songs.....if you can even get the frequency......but thats another tale. signing off, ---kathy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:08:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: 3 new mp3s!!! Message-ID: A person who would prefer to remain anonymous has given me three great mp3s of TMBG Radio interviews. The best of which is an interview from last week in Minnesota. John and John talk about STD, online polls, and more...plus a live in studio performace...get them now! The mp3s are on the Special Offer section of the page listed below -- Jish EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://tmbg.pc.cc.cmu.edu/ ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <7407bd7a.35ca49c0@aol.com> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:26:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: Man of the Century? How? Ok, someone's gotta give me detailed instructions on how to vote many, many times...Our good man, John Flansburgh is number 7, but with only 2.19% of the vote & over 200,000 votes behind Jesus! (i'm going to start voting several times a day!) let's say 50 times a day for (until Dec. 1999) 500 (?) days = 25000, right? (get 20 people to do this, we'll be set) We can assume that if the people voting for Jesus are really religious & only vote once (otherwise, it would be breaking Jesus' teachings, no?)...we can do it....we can... jason "who's thinking he's feeling odd, but a Flans supporter" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35CA5D5C.A3C77E81@softhome.net> Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 20:50:20 -0500 From: melissa Subject: TMBG:space ghost finally! the new seasons starting! ive been taping that show for almost a year and got sick and tired of accidently taping repeats....anyway, when it does come on ill be sure to get it on tape! oh yeah, and last time i met flans he was wearing a "get real" tshirt... hmm maybe someday mike [from MF] will be on spaceghost. thatd be a sight! melissa ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980807014948.11033.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: Interview questions Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 18:49:47 PDT Here's a thought (let's get some TMBG content going here!): as "experienced vets" of TMBG's music and background, what questions would you want to ask them in an interview (no, I'm not actually interviewing them, I'm just curious)? After eliminating the commonly asked questions such as dial-a-song, new record, etc., what would you want to know? --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 21:56:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions In a message dated 98-08-06 21:53:17 EDT, hotcha57@hotmail.com writes: << After eliminating the commonly asked questions such as dial-a-song, new record, etc., what would you want to know? >> Exactly what commonly asked Dial-A-Song question would you be referring to? I hardly ever see John and John REALLY being asked about dial-a-song. I mean besides what the number is. I would ask them when the HELL are they going to put new Dial-A-Songs up on the phone line...it's been the same bunch of songs for quite a while. I have a few das questions in mind actually... Jordan ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 19:54:43 -0600 Subject: TMBG: whistling in the dark Message-ID: <19980806.195450.3302.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEy! okay so this has been bugging me for a reeeally long time i just didn't wanna say anything about it cuz well it's just retarded... but in the liner notes on flood... in whistling in the dark... where do the quotation marks end? what exactly is written on her scalp? do you realize that they just left one set out? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html MIS-QUOTE THAT RELATES TO MY POST: "so like dude... in the DAS version you said you wanted to 'kill your parents' and like in the album version you say he'll 'tell your parents' dude what's up with that?" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 19:59:33 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions Message-ID: <19980806.195937.3302.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> After eliminating the commonly asked >questions >such as dial-a-song, new record, etc., what would you want to know? oohooh... i'd ask 'em why they changed the lyrics to token back to brooklyn... (ah geez.. 10 points to anyone that actually admits to that being them...) i think that's soooo funny... they just sit there on national public radio and make fun of us. and when i say "us" i don't mean the fans in general... i mean "us" the freek-fans that waste like 20 minutes a day reading e-mails that half the time don't relate to TMBG anyways... and you know it had to be someone on this list... or at least on the NG... no one else would be that aware of the lyric change from DAS to the album... take it easy, JOrdaN "LAUGHING AT HER PEERS!!" (yes, that's you!) http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:40:32 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Monopuff Question Message-ID: On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > First, a question about the graphics on the cover of the first Monopuff Hello > release. There are guys on the cover with flags, making letters for > Monopuff... Does anybody know the official term for those guys? Or their > flagging? semaphore. --jim kuemmerle, who wonders if anybody ever hears "semaphore" and thinks "two"... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: thought@weblink.org (Jesse McClusky) Message-Id: <26bdd415.u10t12e.411b0-thought@weblink.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Question Date: Thu, 6 Aug 98 20:33:27 Organization: Advanced Computer Interactions -> J Kuemmerle (J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu) Aug 6 > --jim kuemmerle, who wonders if anybody ever hears "semaphore" and thinks > "two"... I always think of a means by which a programmer arbitrates access to a set of data being modified by several sources simultaneously in a true multi-tasking system. But maybe that's just me. (: Jesse "does anyone remember the Amiga?" "Good, cause I'm typing this on one!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 23:20:14 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Question > >-> J Kuemmerle (J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu) Aug 6 > >> --jim kuemmerle, who wonders if anybody ever hears "semaphore" and thinks >> "two"... No, but now I will... Kirsten -- \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ "If I was dressed in my best defenses, would you agree to meet me for coffee?" - Ani DiFranco "Superhero" Kirsten Brodbeck // kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu // AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 23:33:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Aug-98 TMBG: whistling in the dark by tmbgirl@juno.com > okay so this has been bugging me for a reeeally long time i just didn't > wanna say anything about it cuz well it's just retarded... > but in the liner notes on flood... in whistling in the dark... where do > the quotation marks end? what exactly is written on her scalp? do you > realize that they just left one set out? I think the ending quote should be right before "and so I'm having a wonderful time..." as everything before it constitutes one complete thought. the other explanation, of course, is that it's a song, so this doesn't really matter anyway. :) (that's probably what Linnell would tell you if you asked him :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 23:36:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions In a message dated 98-08-06 21:59:54 EDT, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << oohooh... i'd ask 'em why they changed the lyrics to token back to brooklyn... >> In an interview on NPR JF "I was talking with someone about this yesterday....It's the kinda thing that makes me feel like we're freak magnets.....and he said 'in the song that was on dial-a-song you said that you wanted to 'KILL your parents' and then you changed the lyric on the record you ' to...to..." JL " to TELL our parents" JF "Yeah, TELL our parents...uh" JL "yeah, right, right, right" JF "Uh, Yeah, and then he asked 'and lik the reason you did that was because why?' And I was kinda like welllllll, " JL "Because my mom was going to hear the record, maybe" JF "yeah, heh huh, YEAH. And I had explain to him, yah know, that I just didn't really want to do anyMORE songs about killing my parents" Interviewer "anyMORE songs.." JL "heh, uh huh" JF "Yeeeahhh, we've done songs before about killing our parents, and it REALLY doesn't go over at holiday time.." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "I can make our car honk from where I'm sitting" JL ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808070347.XAA08493@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 22:47:33 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark At 11:33 PM 8/6/98 -0400, you wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Aug-98 TMBG: whistling in the dark >by tmbgirl@juno.com >> okay so this has been bugging me for a reeeally long time i just didn't >> wanna say anything about it cuz well it's just retarded... >> but in the liner notes on flood... in whistling in the dark... where do >> the quotation marks end? what exactly is written on her scalp? do you >> realize that they just left one set out? > >I think the ending quote should be right before "and so I'm having a >wonderful time..." as everything before it constitutes one complete >thought. I like to think that the entire rest of the song (perhaps the entire album) is the entire quotation. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 00:00:22 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions Message-ID: <19980807.001511.3302.0.gray42@juno.com> Whelp... You asked for it... (1) John, have you ever heard of "Bob" Dobbs, I suspect you do because of subliminal messages sent across in your "Birdhouse" vidio? (2) If you could be any muppet, which muppet would you like to be? (3) Do you like fan art? Would you sit down so I could draw yer picture, please? (4) Would you sign my new STD CD and DR. Worm single? Mysterio Gal (who thinks this conversation with John is probably a figment of her twisted mind, and that she's really just hallucinating :) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 00:14:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Message-ID: <19980807.001512.3302.1.gray42@juno.com> Very simple IMHO it's... "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you, be what your like, be like yourself," Mysterio Gal (who has never EVER interpreted a TMBG song, but rather takes them all literally as they are, tho' I do enjoy reading others interpretations.) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808070434.AAA26482@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 00:31:41 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions ok. here we goo... 1. john, john... will you marry me? (yes, both) 2. please??? 3. whats your favourite kind of cereal? 4. do you like thick paper, or do you prefer thin? 5. come on.... please???? 6. you know you want to. oh wait. thats not a question. 7. do you have a pet moose? 8. do you prefer to walk, or trot? 9. sign this, will ya? 10. ok. thats enough. i don't care what you say. you're marrying me. the end. think of a world with people with carrot heads and lettuce arms... ~jen~ ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 01:02:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1) How much would you charge to haunt a house? 2) If you could be an electrical appliance, would you be AC or DC ? 3) Have you ever been a member of an organization that advocated the overthrow of the United States government by force or violence? 4) Would you be willing to go to hell if you got the Gatorade concession? 5) If you knew you were going to die in one week, would you be able to max out your credit cards? 6) If you could change the order of the alphabet, what order would you put the letters in? 7) What breakfast cereal has had the greatest influence on your life? 8) Have you ever been attacked by an aquatic rabbit? 9) Where does lint come from, and would you want to go there on vacation? 10) What's your favorite internal organ? 11) How annoyed would you be if some total stranger insisted on asking you a series of ridiculous, personal questions? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hee Hee..... "Yah know, it's things like this that make me think we're freak magnets" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-7 ****************************