Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 8 Saturday, 8 August 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Question Re: TMBG: Rammstein TMBG: on eBay: One More Parade Re: TMBG: Interview questions Re: TMBG: Monty Python TMBG: Re: tmbg- Johnny Flanscake's SHIRTEES! Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg- Johnny Flanscake's SHIRTEES! Re: TMBG: Interview questions Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg- Johnny Flanscake's SHIRTEES! TMBG: cali vacation TMBG: Wired Re: TMBG: on eBay: One More Parade Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark TMBG: Re: tmbg- Johnny Flanscake's SHIRTEES! Re: TMBG: Interview questions NON-TMBG: Sempahores Re: TMBG: Interview questions TMBG: Re: interiew questions Re: TMBG: Monty Python TMBG: Geographic location of other fans TMBG: TMBG in the denver post Re: TMBG: Interview questions TMBG: Re: Sightings Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings TMBG: Re: Sightings TMBG: Interview Questions... TMBG: Re: Sightings TMBG: Re: Sightings TMBG: another Re: Sightings Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings TMBG: They Might Be Pictures Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Re: TMBG: Interview questions Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings Re: TMBG: Re: interiew questions Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <61c28f33.35caa891@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 03:11:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Question In a message dated 98-08-06 22:42:31 EDT, you write: << > First, a question about the graphics on the cover of the first Monopuff Hello > release. There are guys on the cover with flags, making letters for > Monopuff... Does anybody know the official term for those guys? Or their > flagging? semaphore. >> Does anyone remember the Monty Python skit that was The Semaphore Version Of Wuthering Heights? Sorry to pollute the list with my random ramblings... Graham ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 02:15:00 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Rammstein Message-ID: On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Scott Reed wrote: > It's entirely correct that "Du hast" means "You have". > If Rammstein intended "You hate" as the title, it is "Du ha(ss)t", the > second person form of ha(ss)en, "to hate" > the (ss) indicates an s-set, or the funny B looking charachter in German > that indicates a double s. > There is a posibility that either the company had no s-set in their > typeface for the CD case, or it's simply a misspelling. Okay, I'm going to guess that the last two lines of this post are the case. Because, um, Rammstein is a GERMAN group. You know, like, from Germany? No offense to everyone who drew on their German knowledge from assorted classes, but I would think a German band would know what they're doing in the German language. And, as someone aptly pointed out (in a post largely ignored by everyone discussing this thread), Rammstein did an English version of "Du Hast [sic]", and they say "You hate..." Wondering why this thread stayed around as long as it did... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <02e201bdc1f7$31201170$0100000a@icefire> From: "Jen" Subject: TMBG: on eBay: One More Parade Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 04:33:19 -0700 While searching for snails on eBay, I found someone selling Back to Skull (currently $8, ends 8/9), so I searched for "they might be giants" and found selections from the Rubaiyat compilation, including "One More Parade!" (If anyone's interested, that CD is currently $5, and auction ends 8/11.) Just doing my bit to share the joy... SpiderEyes PS Anyone want beanie babies or knives and swords? I sell them (or try to, at least) on eBay; not a glamorous job, but it helps pay the rent. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980807115607.1366.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:56:07 PDT >Exactly what commonly asked Dial-A-Song question would you be referring to? I What I meant was pretty much every interview you see has this somewhere along the line: Interviewer: So I hear you guys have a unique way of getting your songs out to the public. TMBG: Yes, we do have a dial a song service, which was originally an answering machine, etc... Interviewer: Yes, we have the number for that... Of course, in-depth questions about das would be cool, but I was just using das as a typical question that's commonly known among fans... --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <032f01bdc1fb$a1972070$0100000a@icefire> From: "Jen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Monty Python Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 05:05:10 -0700 >Does anyone remember the Monty Python skit that was The Semaphore Version Of Wuthering Heights? I have never seen this, but that's the greatest mental image... And my 'mate started laughing so hard upon hearing that he fell out of his chair (and kind of onto one of our other 'mates, much to her disgruntlement). So, I must see this now. Does anyone know where I can find it? Graham? - SpiderEyes ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:26:20 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg- Johnny Flanscake's SHIRTEES! Message-ID: <19980807.082621.4590.0.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) Uuh... Jon Flanzbergg was wearing a T-shirt that said "DJ" on it when I saw them. And Linnell, well... I never really noticed. Maybe Flansbirk's shirts are more noticeable because they cover a much greater surface area. Yep. Juan Phlandsburg, if you are reading this, I apologize. I was only kidding. You look great. Really. -Dave "The Counterfeit Faker" Hutch (I'm real...) __________________________________________ "Feel the strength of my two-ply!" - Mortimer Kahn, as a roll of toilet paper. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <224b631d.35cafef5@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:19:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg- Johnny Flanscake's SHIRTEES! In a message dated 8/7/98 8:28:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, djmagma@juno.com writes: > Juan Phlandsburg, if you are reading this, > I apologize. I was only kidding. You look great. > Really. > You bet your ASS he looks great!! That smile just melts my heart ... ::sigh:: I just *love* a man in cool glasses! -- Arwen, would happily see Flansy *without* garments! ^_^ ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <41df7981.35caffdc@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:23:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions In a message dated 8/7/98 12:35:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dext182@snet.net writes: > 10. ok. thats enough. i don't care what you say. you're marrying me. > the end. I like your questions ... and that you won't take "no" for an answer! ^_^ -- Arwen, seems to be in "heat" today... ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <440aa99c.35cb0196@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:31:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg- Johnny Flanscake's SHIRTEES! In a message dated 8/7/98 8:28:32 AM, djmagma@juno.com wrote: >And Linnell, well... I never really noticed. for zee record; 1 instore - "Hoboken athletics" t-shirt 1 concert - brown t-shirt 1 concert - purple t-shirt 1 concert - same hoboken shirt lala.. seeing moxy fruvous tonight in toronto, woowoo! sarah "For security reasons, the government will make it illegal to say numbers out loud, and the singing of numbers shall be punishable by death!" - Conan O'Brien ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:45:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG: cali vacation Message-ID: <19980807.095914.4918.1.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) hi everyone, i'm unsubbing from almost all of my mailing lists again because i'm going on vacation to california. (san diego, yay!) let me know if anything really important happens, will ya? i'll be back in about a week and a half on the aug. 20th (i think). and to anyone who i mentioned trading stuff with, i'll take care of it when i get back. thanks. Jessie _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980807112559.00814c70@csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 11:25:59 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Wired I was directed to http://www.wired.com/news/news/email/member/culture/story/14248.html by a Usenet post- They Might Be Getting Web Savvy: Since 1983, fans of nerd-rockers They Might Be Giants have been able to call a Brooklyn phone number, +1 (718) 387-6962, to hear any of 30 unreleased songs by their favorite band. Now the Giants are porting the service online, in a venture distinctly separate from their highly creative promotional Web site. "We're launching a dial-a-song online service in September that will be all new material," says co-founder John Flansburgh. Once that's completed, Flansburgh says he hopes to post the new "Dr. Worm" video online. "I was thinking maybe it should be on its own dedicated Web site," he noted. "But I'm not really online, so I don't know how people use this stuff." Oddly enough, the phrase "nerd rockers" didn't really bug me, aside from being not all that true, I think it'd be kinda cool to be a "nerd rocker." Anyway, hoping that's all true das.com oughta be picking up pretty soon. Oh yah, one little note-I think it MAY have been me who sent those graham crackers. I can remember wanting to do something terribly nutty aaaaand I remember getting a plastic baggie, so there may have been graham cracker in there. Dylan "Mike Narf Graham Cracker Poit Leffel" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980807113451.007df770@mailin.icdc.com> Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 11:34:51 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: on eBay: One More Parade Jen wrote: >While searching for snails on eBay, I found someone selling Back to Skull >(currently $8, ends 8/9), so I searched for "they might be giants" and found >selections from the Rubaiyat compilation, including "One More Parade!" (If >anyone's interested, that CD is currently $5, and auction ends 8/11.) Indeed, this CD is at: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=24117149 and the ENTIRE RUBAIYAT 2-CD SET is at: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=24154951 (The title makes it sound like it's just Metallica, for some unknown ungodly reason, but it's the whole thing!) >Just doing my bit to share the joy... Likewise... -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 NEW WEB URL: http://www.kjsl.com/~beanmom/ mailto:beanmom@icdc.com "...adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them." -- Dr. Seuss ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:43:26 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Message-ID: <19980807.095729.12110.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: thought@weblink.org (Jesse McClusky) To: tmbgirl@juno.com Subject: Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Date: Thu, 6 Aug 98 20:28:57 Message-ID: <26bdd307.u10t12e.bf3f5-thought@weblink.org> -> tmbgirl (tmbgirl@juno.com) Aug 6 > hEY hEy! > > okay so this has been bugging me for a reeeally long time i just didn't > wanna say anything about it cuz well it's just retarded... Nah! I see this alot. > but in the liner notes on flood... in whistling in the dark... where do > the quotation marks end? I assume you're referring to the chorus, in which case it should be: / be like yourself," / Yes, they forgot them. Blame the editor. > what exactly is written on her scalp? "There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you, be what you're like, be like yourself." Quite a bit for a scalp, isn't it? (: > do you > realize that they just left one set out? Define "set". Besides, didn't you notice that they forgot to sing AN ENTIRE VERSE in "Road Movie To Berlin"? Jesse, silent all these years. Well, okay, it's only been about a year that I've been silent, but... _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:51:18 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg- Johnny Flanscake's SHIRTEES! Message-ID: <19980807.095729.12110.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >for zee record; >1 instore - "Hoboken athletics" t-shirt >1 concert - brown t-shirt >1 concert - purple t-shirt >1 concert - same hoboken shirt heh... 1 free cafe show - "Hoboken XXL" t 1 concert - "Hoboken XXL" 1 concert - green/brown/white striped t take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:57:16 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions Message-ID: <19980807.095729.12110.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> ><< oohooh... i'd ask 'em why they changed the lyrics to token back to > brooklyn... >> > >In an interview on NPR > >JF "I was talking with someone about this yesterday....It's the kinda >thing >that makes me feel like we're freak magnets.....and he said 'in the >song that >was on dial-a-song you said that you wanted to 'KILL your parents' and >then >you changed the lyric on the record you ' to...to..." >JL " to TELL our parents" >JF "Yeah, TELL our parents...uh" >JL "yeah, right, right, right" >JF "Uh, Yeah, and then he asked 'and lik the reason you did that was >because >why?' And I was kinda like welllllll, " >JL "Because my mom was going to hear the record, maybe" >JF "yeah, heh huh, YEAH. And I had explain to him, yah know, that I >just >didn't really want to do anyMORE songs about killing my parents" >Interviewer "anyMORE songs.." >JL "heh, uh huh" >JF "Yeeeahhh, we've done songs before about killing our parents, and >it >REALLY doesn't go over at holiday time.." ERG!!!! i was making fun of the person in this *very* interview!! geez... you people need to read the entire post before you start replying! >"I can make our car honk from where I'm sitting" JL have you ever done that? made your car beep when people walk by? very amusing. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <7bb0966e.35cb3438@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:07:03 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Sempahores <> On the topic of semaphores. Has anyone ever seen the little-known Monty Python sketch "The Semaphor Version of Wuthering Heights"? If you've ever read the 19th century soap-opera novel by Bronte (or have been forced to, as in my case) then you will find this ever the funnier. Just my off topic ramblings... -CAsey, who is quite happy that PBS has begin playing Monty Python's Flying Circus every Friday ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:09:24 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions Message-ID: On Fri, 7 Aug 1998 ArwenAnaNg@aol.com wrote: > -- Arwen, seems to be in "heat" today... of course you are! you're in florida! ;) --jim kuemmerle, who seems to be in "lab" today... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01bdc22b$72de5e80$52701ad0@kathy> From: "Kathy Hardiman" Subject: TMBG: Re: interiew questions Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:47:16 -0400 here are A couple questions that would probably stump the johns... 1. if you were a star (meaning the celestial bodies), what kind of star would you be? 2. what if, suddenly one day w/o warning a man started following you around moaning "cornish hens....cooooorrrrrnnnish hennns!"??? what would you do? What if he wouldn't go away? Would you become resigned to his idoticy? 3. would you rather have armies of undead following you around, or armies of small, spoiled, annoying three year old kids? Why? 4. what if you were at the local mcdonalds and you started choking; you wake up to find that a kindly stranger has saved you by giving you mouth to mouth......BUT the starnger is UNDEAD!!!!!! what would you say and do? 5. want to come over to my house and have dinner? 6. can you autograph my accordian?!?!!? --humbly submitted ---kathy--- ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <26a1b990.35cb42ad@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:08:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Monty Python In a message dated 98-08-07 08:06:55 EDT, you write: << >Does anyone remember the Monty Python skit that was The Semaphore Version Of Wuthering Heights? I have never seen this, but that's the greatest mental image... And my 'mate started laughing so hard upon hearing that he fell out of his chair (and kind of onto one of our other 'mates, much to her disgruntlement). So, I must see this now. Does anyone know where I can find it? Graham? - SpiderEyes >> Well, I have a copy of it on some really old video cassette that I got at a thrift store, but if they show reruns of Monty Python where you live you coud watch for it there. Otherwise i suggest hunting for it in used video stores and places like that... Graham "In the year 2000, the United States will return to the barter system. A goat will get you a six-pack of beer, and a Michael Bolton CD will get you a severe beating..." -Conan ------------------------------ From: mike12da@cyberwaves.com (Mike Mcguire) Subject: TMBG: Geographic location of other fans Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 18:21:46 GMT Message-Id: <902514106@cyberwaves.com> Organization: SYNERGY RESOURCES, INC. Is anyone else in Dallas? I'm moving there the 23rd, (well Denton actually, but it's close enough to Dallas). Also I know there's someone in Austin. I wanted to know about the clubs that TMBG are scheduled at (Stubbs and Liberty Lunch) age? All that funky jive. *Mike "You can't run away, out of the hall of heads" McGuire* ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:38:40 -0600 Subject: TMBG: TMBG in the denver post Message-ID: <19980807.123843.9894.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEy! so i spose this really doesn't matter but as i was flipping through the denver post to read the review of what i thought to be an excellent beastie boys concert i was reading all the other music news and was psyched to see that they mentioned TMBG :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html "trade for hats with holes that let the night shine through." _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808071843.OAA13521@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:40:20 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions > > > 10. ok. thats enough. i don't care what you say. you're marrying me. > > the end. > > I like your questions ... and that you won't take "no" for an answer! ^_^ > > -- Arwen, seems to be in "heat" today... see... because even though they keep saying no, they KNOW they want to. they're just.... just.... uh... playing hard to get. they know it. yeah. and you're all invited to the wedding : ) imagine a world with lakes of bran flakes. ~jen~ and NO, i am NOT in denial. ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Message-ID: <5999aabc.35cb6e6b@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 17:15:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Sightings A rather unimportant thing has occurred to me: If TMBG were to release an album titled "The," many people on this list would think immediately of the band whenever they encountered the word "the," and every instance of the word "the" would to them be a secret inside-joke. This is scary. But which is scarier? The fact that this is true, or that I bothered to write about it? My conclusion: TMBG needs to stop making albums and songs with titles that are also common everyday phrases. People flip out whenever they see anything which they think is a TMBG reference (and ususally isn't). I know, shut up, it's all in good fun, etc, etc, etc. -Cynical Geoff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808072125.RAA05649@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 17:23:03 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings > > My conclusion: TMBG needs to stop making albums and songs with titles that > are also common everyday phrases. People flip out whenever they see anything > which they think is a TMBG reference (and ususally isn't). > seriously, though. i think we're reasonable about it. i mean, i hear the word flood often, and i used to live right next to lincoln nebraska, and i know someone named john, and my uncles name is henry... but i don't think that was all because of tmbg. and is severe tire damage a common phrase outside of a car repair shop, because i've never heard it before. yeah. so. imagine a world without lemonade. ~jen~ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 15:32:30 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: Sightings Message-ID: <19980807.153234.9894.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> > i know someone named john, and my uncles name is >henry... heh... have you guys seen those "JH" stickers (ya know.. the excellent white circle ones with black outlines... the country stickers that are now being used for just about anything). ah, Jackson's Hole... John Henry... what's the dufference? take it easy, JOrdaN "proud to have a V99 sticker" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <3accdfcd.35cb7a58@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 18:06:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: Interview Questions... How about, "Mr. Flansburgh, the world is dying to know...how many shirts do you own?" jason "who's seen him in a plain red casual golf kind of shirt " glastetter ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 20:30:45 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Sightings Message-ID: <19980807.203306.3486.0.gray42@juno.com> I must object, it's a very fun thing to be able to find, say... A "Severe Tire Damage" sign, and giggle knowingly. It's sorta like the way that Hitchhikers changes your entire view of #42 (a very common number), bath towels, and mice. It personally makes me feel very special inside to come across these once boring items. Using common phrases for album names and song titles adds a little life to these phrases, sorta makes life more interesting, and fun. Just my 2 scents Mysterio Gal (fellow Overman) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Message-ID: <9c4d8ce.35cba7e3@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 21:20:34 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Sightings << imagine a world without lemonade. I tried this, and was shocked to see in my mind a bunch of little kids on a streetcorner operating an avocado-juice stand. I bought some from them, and it was horrible. -Geoff ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Message-ID: <9633a74e.35cba93f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 21:26:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: another Re: Sightings << I must object, it's a very fun thing to be able to find, say... A "Severe Tire Damage" sign, and giggle knowingly. >> Oh, I do this myself sometimes. I was talking about when people run inside and turn their computers on so they can tell everyone else on the list that the guy they just passed on the street said "Hi, how's the weather?" and that that of course was a secret reference to TMBG and their brand new double-live album, "The." Hehe. -Geoff, who is remarkably happy to have just bought 3 cds for a total of 17.99 (best of Steppenwolf, the Animals, and the Eagles). Power to the used bins of CD stores worldwide! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980808015726.12648.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 18:57:25 PDT >Reply-To: Lawrence P Solomon > >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Aug-98 TMBG: whistling in the dark >by tmbgirl@juno.com >> okay so this has been bugging me for a reeeally long time i just didn't >> wanna say anything about it cuz well it's just retarded... >> but in the liner notes on flood... in whistling in the dark... where do >> the quotation marks end? what exactly is written on her scalp? do you >> realize that they just left one set out? > >I think the ending quote should be right before "and so I'm having a >wonderful time..." as everything before it constitutes one complete >thought. That's what I think, too. The Flood liner notes are incorrect in several places, though. (Hey, maybe someone could ask Them about this in an interview!) >the other explanation, of course, is that it's a song, so this doesn't >really matter anyway. :) (that's probably what Linnell would tell you >if you asked him :) Probably, but do we really care what Linnell thinks? -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980808042553.007df100@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:25:53 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings At 20:30 07/08/98 -0400, you wrote: >I must object, it's a very fun thing to be able to find, say... A >"Severe Tire Damage" sign, and giggle knowingly. It's sorta like the way >that Hitchhikers changes your entire view of #42 (a very common number), >bath towels, and mice. It's when you try and put small yellow fish in your ears that you really have to start worrying! --USQ Colin Ellesley: The eastern counties authority on Carter USM/TMBG/Bennet/The Levellers Home Page: www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html New Photo Site: www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "If I could turn back time, I would not turn back time, I'm a pesimest, I couldn't take that risk, the risk that you might not be beside me, your face next to mind, the risk that I just might be, in the wrong place at the wrong time" -- carter the unstoppable sex machine <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808080341.WAA15320@stan.lcc.net> From: "Kris Maxwell" Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 22:42:28 -0500 Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Pictures Howdy folks, Just wanted to let you know that I have a TMBG pictures pages that I just set up. I realized that i had several press promo photos and stuff, so I decided to scan them and offer them to the public. I have the John Henry, Factory Showroom, and Severe Tire Damage promo photos up, along with a few scans from the latest Info Club Catalog. I might put up some STD liner art if i have the space on my web account (it is teensy, and i use that adjective sparingly). The URL is: http://centum.utulsa.edu/~maxwellkd/www/theypix.html Thanks, and let me know if you have any requests. The D ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980808042843.26659.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: whistling in the dark Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 21:28:42 PDT >Reply-To: Mitchell Harding > >At 11:33 PM 8/6/98 -0400, you wrote: >>Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Aug-98 TMBG: whistling in the dark >>by tmbgirl@juno.com >>> okay so this has been bugging me for a reeeally long time i just didn't >>> wanna say anything about it cuz well it's just retarded... >>> but in the liner notes on flood... in whistling in the dark... where do >>> the quotation marks end? what exactly is written on her scalp? do you >>> realize that they just left one set out? >> >>I think the ending quote should be right before "and so I'm having a >>wonderful time..." as everything before it constitutes one complete >>thought. > >I like to think that the entire rest of the song (perhaps the entire album) >is the entire quotation. That woman must have one friggin' big forehead, in that case. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980808043614.3846.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview questions Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 21:36:13 PDT >Reply-To: "dext182" >3. whats your favourite kind of cereal? Perhaps it's the kind made of dried moths. > think of a world with people with carrot heads and >lettuce arms... Are these the lost lyrics to "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds," or what? -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980808044332.5597.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 21:43:30 PDT <> call me crazy, but i think that there is quite a bit of difference between the two mike " " fink (fill in the blank) *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* Boycott Microsoft http://www.vcnet.com/bms *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980808044900.3232.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 21:48:59 PDT >I must object, it's a very fun thing to be able to find, say... A >"Severe Tire Damage" sign, and giggle knowingly. It's sorta like the way >that Hitchhikers changes your entire view of #42 (a very common number), >bath towels, and mice. well, being a huge "Weird Al" fan, along with being a gigantic TMBG fan, I 'giggle knowingly' whenever I come across the number 27. And anytime my friends utter a phrase that TMBG used in a song or as a title, I alert them to this. Needless to say, it starts to get on their nerves after a while.... mike " Not one misplaced quotation mark here!" fink *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* Boycott Microsoft http://www.vcnet.com/bms *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808080519.BAA29800@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 01:16:52 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings > >I must object, it's a very fun thing to be able to find, say... A > >"Severe Tire Damage" sign, and giggle knowingly. It's sorta like the > way > >that Hitchhikers changes your entire view of #42 (a very common > number), > >bath towels, and mice. > > well, being a huge "Weird Al" fan, along with being a gigantic TMBG fan, > I 'giggle knowingly' whenever I come across the number 27. And anytime > my friends utter a phrase that TMBG used in a song or as a title, I > alert them to this. Needless to say, it starts to get on their nerves > after a while.... > man, i'd hate to have your friends, then, because i do the same exact thing... luckily, they don't get annoyed with me. instead, we break out into song in whatever public place we're in. we end up singing "we want a rock" in the mall because we see mike who we once gave a gift of a pet rock to. this world has a song about everything. ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980808053925.23723.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: interiew questions Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 22:39:24 PDT >Reply-To: "Kathy Hardiman" >3. would you rather have armies of undead following you around, or armies of >small, spoiled, annoying three year old kids? Why? >4. what if you were at the local mcdonalds and you started choking; you wake >up to find that a kindly stranger has saved you by giving you mouth to >mouth......BUT the starnger is UNDEAD!!!!!! what would you say and do? Is it just me, or do you have some sort of fascination with the undead? -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980808054919.25511.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Sightings Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 22:49:17 PDT >Reply-To: "dext182" >and is severe tire damage a common phrase outside of a car repair >shop, because i've never heard it before. It appears on signs warning you not to back up, because such an action would cause severe tire damage. > imagine a world without lemonade. I'd rather not. It would be much too frightening. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-8 ****************************