Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 31 Thursday, 31 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: music update, and BOOKS Re: TMBG: snmnmnm Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Re: NON-TMBG: music update, and books TMBG: Books TMBG: UK: TMBG MOVIE ON BBC1 tonight TMBG: FavShows TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-30 Re: NON-TMBG: top 10 of the year (My ranting about things) Re: NON-TMBG: music update, and BOOKS TMBG: my TMBG experience of the day TMBG: tmbg related books ;) TMBG: TMBG on NPR's Talk of the Nation TMBG: CD collecting Re: TMBG: CD collecting Re: TMBG: CD collecting TMBG: RE: CD collecting Re: TMBG: RE: CD collecting Re: TMBG: RE: CD collecting Re: TMBG: RE: CD collecting Re: TMBG: tmbg related books ;) TMBG: Re: CD collecting Re: TMBG: tmbg related books ;) TMBG: Tmbg: Shows attended/Tramp's Show! Re: TMBG: Re: CD collecting- organizing your collection Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 01:50:23 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: music update, and BOOKS Message-ID: <19981230.015050.-194193.8.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Too update my music list Eno- (I've never seen the list mention this guy before, does anyone know about him. My Aunt and Uncle (Talking Heads fans) gave me his CD for X-mas. S'interesting stuff: He looks like David Bowie, and reminds me of Pink Floyd, beetles, and Talking Heads all mixed up together, with some weird chorus thing going on, and of course, elevator music :) I like him :) >Here's some books everybody needs to read... Now look what you've done >Breakfast of Champions/Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. >The Stranger by Albert Camus >Youth In Revolt by C.D. Payne >Great Expectations by Charles Dickens hehe skool, the bok: pretty good, the movie: needlessly perverted >In His Own Write/A Spaniard In The Works/Skywriting by Word of Mouth >by John >Lennon >The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Freidrich Engels >A Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger started it, didn't finish it >A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess need to borrow this from my sis, loved the movie (but I hear book is better (as usual)) >The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton neehee, you pushed my weak spot, I'm a HUGE MC fan! I've read this about 6 or 7 times, saw the freaky movie, read JP 30 times, Lost World 25 times (no I'm not a complete lunatic... well... maybe I am) Sphere and Congo 20+, Travels (lost count :P) Air frame 8 times, all the others 2+ heehee, I was on a Jeff Goldblum list before I came to this one. >well... enough out of me i suppose. WAAAAIT... Don't ferget these: Anything by Douglass Adams Anything by Ayn Rand (especially Anthem) Anything by Rollo May The Happy Mutant Handbook Any SubGenius related books Anything by Shakesphere (even tho' he is a sellout >:) Anything By Edgar Allen Poe Watership Down- Another Adams :) Witch Baby- Francesca Lia Block I'll probably come up with more later ;) >Graham Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >It's time to tell the truth, these things have to be faced >My fuse is burning out and all my powder's gone to waste >But, don't think for a moment darling that, we'll ever be through >I'll build a bonfire of my dreams, and burn a broken effigy of me and >you... > >Elvis Costello -Indoor Fireworks > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <52ca5b95.3689dae6@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 02:48:54 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: snmnmnm In a message dated 12/29/98 10:58:44 PM, Tmbg4life@aol.com writes: >hey does anybody know if or what SNMNMNM stands for 'cause i was looking >for >their CDs but i couldn't find any of them > they don't have a cd "out". i have one of their unlabled demo cd's though. snmnmnm is short for seamus and matthew and matthew and mark. (NOT s&m and M&M) sarah ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 02:52:10 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) >"I've loved you guys since I was eight years >old!" and then he said "That's funny....that's the same thing my wife >said to me when we first met!" that is amazingly scary.... just wanted to mention it. and observant kids will notice it doesnt stop there... rant: eh, the first show i saw was violent femmes. teehee. TMBG shows are amazing when they're happy, when theyre not its just boring. to be a silly fan kid for a moment, they ARE briliant musicians, lyricists, witty banterers etc... their people skills arent so great and i agree, control freaks like them should be weary of improv. but theyre always so happy with it you cant really ask them to stop (especially now with the vocoder!) When they talk to eachother it sounds more like two best friends having a funny conversation than like, say, fruvous who usually sound like theyre trying to entertain (and im not saying it doesnt work.) whenever ive seen tmbg (lost count how many times) theyve always interacted with the audience, talking to them, shooting them, letting them play guitars or keyboards and stuff. im not trashing whoevers opinion it was that their live show wasnt great, im just saying what i think. So just appreciate them for what they are. flans is the pr whore, linnell brings in the chickfactor. thats all you need to know. brian was swell, but i miss graham most of all fruvous are good live too, even if they are possibly mistaken for a gospel band. occasionally they drag on. the only artist ive seen a bunch who's NEVER sucked is david byrne. which is funny cuz he has pretty much *no* real stage pressence... "i am david, im going to play a song for you." and what a song! and candy butchers, they never suck either. if you like that stuff (which i do!) Im listening to Neutral Milk Hotel right now.. its quirky cy'all new years ~liz ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <7a7211b3.368a0807@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 06:01:27 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) << to be a silly fan kid for a moment, they ARE briliant musicians, lyricists, witty banterers etc... their people skills arent so great and i agree, control freaks like them should be weary of improv. but theyre always so happy with it you cant really ask them to stop (especially now with the vocoder!) When they talk to eachother it sounds more like two best friends having a funny conversation than like, say, fruvous who usually sound like theyre trying to entertain (and im not saying it doesnt work.) whenever ive seen tmbg (lost count how many times) theyve always interacted with the audience, talking to them, shooting them, letting them play guitars or keyboards and stuff. im not trashing whoevers opinion it was that their live show wasnt great, im just saying what i think. So just appreciate them for what they are. > Amen, Sistah Liz! There's something charming about the natural, unpolished nature of TMBG's between song patter, and seeing just one of Linnell's sly smiles or hearing one of his muttered insults when Flans screws up is worth a ton of polished stage patter and forced audience participation, at least to me. < flans is the pr whore, linnell brings in the chickfactor. thats all you need to know. brian was swell, but i miss graham most of all >> ::giggle:: Yeah, Flans is definitely the official PR Whore of TMBG, but from the two times I've been able to exchange brief words with him, and from what I've heard from others, when he chooses to hang around and sign stuff or chat a bit after a show, it's because he really wants to, not because he feels obligated to. Hell, he let me take three pictures with a blinding flash after the last show! I always get annoyed when I hear people whine, "I waited 5 hours in the freezing cold after the show and they wouldn't even sign my cd!" It seems as if because they aren't a "huge" band, it's taken for granted that they owe their fans more. They're both very hardworking guys who aren't that comfortable with others (as Flans said, that's why it took them so long to have a band), and they put so much into their music (most of the time) that it's more than satisfying enough for me. I miss Graham, too :( Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:08:58 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: music update, and books Message-ID: <19981230.110937.4518.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi >Eno- S'interesting stuff: He looks like David Bowie, and reminds >me of Pink Floyd, beetles, and Talking Heads all mixed up together, >with some weird chorus thing going on, and of course, elevator music :) i would like to take this time to plug a beautiful album. david bowie and brian eno teamed up with my favorite composer philip glass about a year or so ago. the CD is called "The Heroes Symphony." if you're a fan of any or all three, pick it up. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Ween - Jan. 1 * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981230162928.11802.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: TMBG: Books Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 08:29:27 PST I was curious if anyone out there has read anything by, or at least even HEARD of a guy named Andre Malraux. He's an existentialist writer from Paris, died in 76 or something, I had never heard of him but picked up a book of his called "Lazarus", which turned out to be an autobiographical. Anyways, it was an absolutely incredible book, very beautifully written, very touching and though provoking. I don't know anyone who's even heard of the guy, and the book I read hasn't been checked out of my university library since 1982, so no one at my college has even read him. Crazy. *Mike* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000f01be3418$8c168c60$a7b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: TMBG: UK: TMBG MOVIE ON BBC1 tonight Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:18:45 -0000 That's right kiddies of the UK, after about a year, BBC1 have deemed it necessary to show the GREAT movie, They Might Be Giants once again so get those video recorders set... here's what the TV rag says: 1.35 am: They Might Be Giants Offbeat comedy about a man who believes he is Sherlock Holmes. Starring George C Scott, Joanne Woodward. (1971, PG, 85 mins) **** Followed by Weather It's a great movie and anyone who disagrees is VERY VERY wrong indeed. Happy viewing people of the UK -- Uncle Squid - Pretty Fly (for a white guy) Http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/mother_ship/ ICQ: 12605535 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981230175037.2324.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Eric Fiedler" Subject: TMBG: FavShows Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:50:37 PST Since y'all are already TMBG fans there's no use bragging about how great their shows are. I will however tell you about some other bands that put on unbelievable shows and are actually worth the admission prices, and who don't throw any cocky attitudes at you. #1 Midnight Oil - My first show, in '93, still the best. Saw them again in '96 and '97, nothing compares to the energy from these shows. See them when they come around again! They're still making some decent records. #2 Phish- You have to be there to enjoy it - and you don't have to be high. You never know what they'll play next. #3 Bela Fleck - Guitar virtuoso who's always on tour with somebody. #4 Eddie from Ohio- Independent band from D.C., great talent and humor, and they refuse to "sell out". #5 If you're into the big festivals check out HORDE, it's the most consistent. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kensey99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:38:08 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-30 I just heard John and John interviewed on NPR at the Pasadena City College station 89.3 It was excellent. They played Older, James K. Polk, They got Lost, and a few others from Dial a Song. It was a lot of fun. Jed ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:14:54 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: top 10 of the year (My ranting about things) Message-ID: On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 CajunGram@aol.com wrote: > Sisters of Mercy--*Floodland* and *Vision Thing* I'm really surprised by the fact that two different people said that they listened to Sisters of Mercy on this list. I had never heard them, but then my radio show partner was obsessed with them, and thus I was forced to hear them every week. I like them....and I was lucky enough to see one of their few shows in America when they played Chicago early this year. Great band...maybe they'll actually put something new out soon. And for anyone who likes the Sisters....check out the new Gary Numan (yes, the "Cars" guy) stuff. He's on Cleopatra Records now (a goth label, who have picked up not only Gary Numan but Dead or Alive ("You Spin Me Round") as well...great label), and his newest stuff, while really dark, is really good. > Dub Narcotic Sound System > Halo Benders Two really great bands, both fronted (or at least including) Calvin Johnson (sp?), one of the great musical minds of this decade. Both Dub Narcotic and the Halo Benders are part of the musical incest that has given us Built to Spill and Beat Happening and (my personal favorite) Pell Mell as well....all of these bands are just great. > Cornelius (kick ass music by a guy from Japan) Great stuff, and this guy is actually the husband of Kahimi Karie, who is getting a lot of press, and with good reason...she's just so gosh darn cute. She makes music that is a throw back to the french chanteuse (sp?) as well..great stuff. > Fugees solo projects Even Pras? I'm not sure about Pras....he scares me, ever since he did that Psychic friends commercial. > Jay-Z You're kidding, right? This guy is pathetic....I mean, sampling "Annie"? Christ....anyone into hip-hop, if you can find them, pick up the Aceyalone album and the Atmosphere EP that came out this year....now that's where hip-hop should be going. Oh, and then Keembearlee said: > The Promise Ring - Nothing Feels Good Came out last year, I think, but this is a great album. Both the Promise Ring and the Get Up Kids are (hopefully) going to have albums out in 1999, and one of them will become popular, being called the fore-runners of the "emo/pop-punk" movement...and they deserve it. > Here's some books everybody needs to read... Here's some more: anything by Douglas Coupland anything by Nick Hornby (I haven't read Fever Pitch, though) Lost in the Funhouse -- John Barth A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again -- David Foster Wallace and there's more, but I'm drawing blanks... I'm sorry for rambling... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <98ae2a0a.368a9a89@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:26:33 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: music update, and BOOKS As we list good books let us not forget the bone books. Cause they're good. Jeff "Books without pictures? Booooorrrrrriiiing" Craig ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:52:08 -0700 Subject: TMBG: my TMBG experience of the day Message-ID: <19981230.175212.4894.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEy HEY! Allright, so i walk into Abercrombie & Fitch today only to stop in my tracks and tilt my head to the side with a confused expression on my face, as i hear the music blasting throughout the store... my friends were like, "jordan? are you ok?"... I just gave them an odd look then started groovin along with Why Does The Sun Shine (live version) that was looped, two times in a row before beastie boys "body movin'" came on. :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5895cd6a.368ad2d8@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:26:48 EST Subject: TMBG: tmbg related books ;) >> Here's some books everybody needs to read... > hello, y'all should read some of hal sirowitz's books. :) you may know him as being a hello artist of the month, so there's your plug from Flansburgh. do you need anymore? first though i'd recommend hearing his voice on his cd before you read. ;) motha said.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3685E69E.698B@stlnet.com> Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:49:50 -0800 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: TMBG on NPR's Talk of the Nation TMBG were on NPR's Talk of the Nation today and I managed to record it, if anyone's interested in a trade e-mail me. They played Older, Working Undercover for the Man, JKP, and Finished with Lies. This call-in show was 45 minutes long. nick ------------------------------ Message-Id: <368ADE3E.8DC19FD3@tc.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:15:26 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: TMBG: CD collecting Some of my current favorite CDs- not necessarily from 1998. TMBG (my favorite always changes. Right now its Factory Showroom) Maxwell, Embrya Morphine, Like Swimming Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Lets Face It Fleetwood Mac, The Dance Skatalites, Ball of Fire Meat Beat Manifesto, Original Fire Alanis Morisette, Jagged Little Pill (I'm still not tired of this one yet. I don't care for Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie) Catching up with Depeche Mode Crash Test Dummies, God Shuffled his Feet Enya, Shepard Moons Simon and Garfunkel's Grt. Hits I like a huge variety of stuff as you can probably tell. Favorite Mainstream song: I've found most of them kind of boring lately. I like Save Tonight by Eagle Eye Cherry. Last CD purchase: STD by They Might Be Giants. I finally got around to buying this. Personally I don't like it as well as the other TMBG albums but its still got a couple of cool tracks on it. I was wondering how many CDs you all own. It sounds like from the posts that most of us here are really into music and like lots and lots of groups in addition to TMBG. I get the impression that we're a bunch of audiophiles, purchasing one CD after another. Right now I have approx 150 CDs and about 60 cassette tapes. Some of my friends were impressed that I owned that many- they only owned about 20 CDs and/or cassettes or so. Most of their music listening seemed to come from the radio. Then again I met somebody who had around 500 CDs- showed me his entire collection and this was back in fall of 1993, before I owned a CD player. I didn't get a CD player until Christmas 1993. That was over 5 years ago, who knows how many he has now. Anyway this guy with the massive collection was a college radio DJ and got a lot of free CDs from his job. I asked him if he actually listened to all of them and he said about half of them. I've also seen people post their CD collections on their web pages and I've seen people owning over 350 CDs. So maybe 150 isn't that many after all. Laura ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:15:39 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: CD collecting In a message dated 12/30/98 9:10:49 PM, mill1159@tc.umn.edu writes: > >I was wondering how many CDs you all own. It sounds like from the posts >that most of us here are really into music and like lots and lots of >groups in addition to TMBG. I get the impression that we're a bunch of >audiophiles, purchasing one CD after another. BEHOLD! sarah's cd collection. ahem *compact discs* I own (not including ones I'm embarrased to admit to owning..) (* = don't [really] listen to it anymore, maybe i ought to take it to the used cd store... {g}) * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1.Air - Kelly Watch the Stars (UK import EP) 2.Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes 3.Tori Amos - Under the Pink 4.Barenaked Ladies - Born on a Pirate Ship 5.Barenaked Ladies - Brian Wilson EP (1992) 6.Barenaked Ladies - Brian Wilson 2000 EP (1997) 7.Barenaked Ladies - Gordon 8.Barenaked Ladies - Jane radio promo cd 9.Barenaked Ladies - Maybe You Should Drive 10.Barenaked Ladies - Old Apartment EP 11.Barenaked Ladies - One Week EP 12.Barenaked Ladies - Rock Spectacle 13.Barenaked Ladies - Shoe Box EP 14.Barenaked Ladies - Stunt 15.Paul Bellini - The Northland's Own 16.The Beatles - Anthology 1 (double cd) 17.The Beatles - Anthology 2 (double cd) 18.The Beatles - Please Please Me 19.The Beatles - White Album (double cd) 20.Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty 21.Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique 22.The Beautiful South - Carry on Up the Charts 23.Beck - Mellow Gold 24.Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five 25.Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen 26.Ben Folds Five - Naked Baby Photos 27.Bjork - Debut 28.Frank Black - Frank Black 29.Blue Rodeo - Lost Together 30.Bran Van 3000 - Glee 31.The Breeders - Last Splash 32.Meryn Cadell - Angel Food For Thought 33.Meryn Cadell - Bombazine 34.The Cardigans - First Band on the Moon 35.The Brothers Creeggan - The Brothers Creeggan 36.The Brothers Creeggan - The Brothers Creeggan II 37.Cibo Matto - VIVA! La Woman 38.The Clash - Combat Rock 39.The Clash - London Calling 40.The Clash - Super Black Market Clash 41.The Clash - The Clash 42.Combustible Edison - Four Rooms movie soundtrack 43.Combustible Edison - I, Swinger 44.Combustible Edison - Schizophonic! 45.Cub - Box of Hair 46.Daft Punk - Homework 47.Brian Dewan - Brian Dewan Tells the Story 48.Don't Talk, Dance! - Don't Talk, Dance! 49.The Doors - The Doors 50.The Doors - Strange Days 51.Ani DiFranco - Little Plastic Castle 52.Ani DiFranco - Living in Clip (double cd) 53.Ani DiFranco - More Joy, Less Shame 54.Ani DiFranco - Not a Pretty Girl 55.Ani DiFranco - Not So Soft 56.Ani DiFranco - Out of Range 57.Ani DiFranco - Puddle Dive 58.Elevator to Hell - Eerieconsiliation 59.Elevator to Hell - Parts 1-3 60.54-40 - Smilin' Buddha Cabaret 61.Frantic Flattops - Hi-Fi Honey 62.Stephen Duffy - I Love My Friends 63.Esquivel - Cabaret Manana 64.Geggy Tah - Grand Opening 65.Geggy Tah - Sacred Cow 66.Hole - Live Through This 67.Hole - Pretty on the Inside 68.Hooverphonic - A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular 69.Hooverphonic - 2 Wicky EP 70.Kevin Hearn - Mothball Mint 71.Huevos Rancheros - Get Outta Dodge 72.Jale - Dreamcake 73.Jale - So Wound 74.Kraftwerk - The Mix 75.Lincoln - Lincoln 76.Laura Love - Octoroon 77.Laura Love - Shum Ticky 78.Ashley MacIssac - Hi (tm) How Are You Today? 79.Ashley MacIssac - Sleepy Maggie EP 80.Man...Or Astroman? - Destroy All Astromen!! 81.Man...Or Astroman? - Deluxe Men in Space 82.Bruce McCulloch - Shame Based Man 83.Sarah McLachlan - Adia EP 84.Sarah McLachlan - Building a Mystery EP 85.Sarah McLachlan - Freedom Sessions 86.Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy 87.Sarah McLachlan - Into the Fire EP 88.Sarah McLachlan - Solace 89.Sarah McLachlan - Steaming EP 90.Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing 91.Sarah McLachlan - Sweet Surrender EP 92.Sarah McLachlan - Touch 93.Sarah McLachlan - Vox EP 94.Thurston Moore - Psychic Hearts 95.Mono Puff - It's Fun to Steal 96.Mono Puff - The Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rocking) EP 97.Mono Puff - Unsupervised 98.Moxy Fruvous - B Album 99.Moxy Fruvous - Bargainville 100.Moxy Fruvous - Live Noise 101.Moxy Fruvous - Wood 102.Moxy Fruvous - You Will Go to the Moon 103.Nirvana - Incesticide 104.Nirvana - In Utero 105.Nirvana - Nevermind 106.Nirvana - Unplugged * 107.No Doubt - No Doubt 108.Odds - Bedbugs 109.Odds - Good Weird Feeling 110.Odds - Heterosexual Man radio promo cd 111.Odds - Neopolitan 112.Odds - Nest 113.Odds - Someone Who's Cool EP 114.Orb - Toxygene EP 115.Orbital - In Sides (double cd) 116.Pearl Jam - Ten 117.Pearl Jam - Vitalogy 118.Pearl Jam - VS. 119.Pell Mell - Interstate 120.Pet Shop Boys - Disco 2 121.Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville 122.Liz Phair - Juvenalia 123.Liz Phair - Whip Smart 124.Liz Phair - whitechocolatespaceegg 125.Phono-Comb - Fresh Gasoline 126.Pixies - Trompe Le Monde 127.Pizzicato 5 - Made in USA 128.Pizzicato 5 - The Sound of Music by Pizzicato 5 129.The Ramones - Mania * 130.R.E.M. - Out of Time 131.The Rheostatics - Introducing Happiness 132.Roni Size / Reprazent - New Forms (double cd) 133.Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Dim the Lights, Chill the Ham 134.Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Savvy Show Stoppers 135.Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Sport Fishin' 136.Shonen Knife - Happy Hour (advance promo version) 137.Sloan - Navy Blues 138.Sloan - One Chord to Another 139.Sloan - Party CD 140.Sloan - Peppermint EP 141.Sloan - Smeared 142.Sloan - Twice Removed 143.Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream * 144.SNMNMNM - untitled 145.Sonic Youth - 100% EP 146.Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves 147.Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation 148.Sonic Youth - Dirty 149.Sonic Youth - EVOL 150.Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star 151.Sonic Youth - Goo 152.Sonic Youth - Screaming Fields of Sonic Love 153.Sonic Youth - Sister 154.Sonic Youth - Sonic Youth 155.Sonic Youth - Washing Machine 156.Soul Coughing - El Oso 157.Soul Coughing - Irresistable Bliss 158.Soundgarden - Superunknown * 159.Sponge - Rotting Pinata * 160.Stereolab - Dots and Loops 161.Stereolab - Emporer Tomato Ketchup 162.Stereolab - Mars Audaic Quintet 163.Stereolab - the groop played "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" 164.Stone Temple Pilots - Core * 165.Superchunk - Here's Where the Strings Come In 166.Superchunk - Indoor Living 167.They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18 168.They Might Be Giants - Back To Skull EP 169.They Might Be Giants - Factory Showroom 170.They Might Be Giants - Flood 171.They Might Be Giants - Istanbul EP 172.They Might Be Giants - John Henry 173.They Might Be Giants - Lincoln 174.They Might Be Giants - Miscellaneous T 175.They Might Be Giants - Severe Tire Damage 176.They Might Be Giants - SEXXY EP 177.They Might Be Giants - Statue Got Me High radio promo cd 178.They Might Be Giants - Then: The Earlier Years (double cd) 179.They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants 180.They Might Be Giants - Why Does The Sun Shine EP 181.Thrush Hermit - Sweet Homewrecker 182.The Tragically Hip - Day For Night 183.The Tragically Hip - Fully Completely 184.The Tragically Hip - Live Between Us 185.The Tragically Hip - Phantom Power 186.The Tragically Hip - Road Apples 187.The Tragically Hip - Up To Here 188.The Tragically Hip - promo 3-song disc (poets & 2 live songs) 189.Trio - Da Da Da 190.UB40 - Labour of Love * 191.UB40 - Promises and Lies * 192.The Ventures - Walk - Don't Run 193.The Ventures - Where the Action Is/The Ventures Knock Me Out 194.Various - Conan O'Brien, Live from 6A (Ani...) 195.Various - DGC Rarities 1 (Sloan...) 196.Various - Home Hypnosis Kit (it was free..) 197.Various - If I Were a Carpenter (Sonic Youth) 198.Various - Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy movie soundtrack 199.Various - Lounge-a-palooza (BF5, P5, & Combustible Edison) 200.Various - No Alternative 201.Various - Saturday Morning Cartoons Greatest Hits 202.Various - Super Fantastic Mega Smash Hits! (SMOASP) 203.Various - 30 Hour Famine, benefit compilation (Odds, Sloan, Hip, Sarah M...) 204.Various - Wipeout XL (Daft Punk, Orbital...) 205.Rufus Wainwright - Rufus Wainwright 206.Weezer - Weezer 207.Wesley Willis - Rock 'N' Roll Will Never Die 208.XTC - Drums and Wires 209.XTC - Nonsuch 210.XTC - Oranges and Lemons 211.XTC - Skylarking 212.Yo La Tengo - Electr-o-pura 213.Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One --- last updated ~ 12.28.98. sarah!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981231022705.242.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: Re: TMBG: CD collecting Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:27:05 PST >I was wondering how many CDs you all own. It sounds like from the posts >that most of us here are really into music and like lots and lots of >groups in addition to TMBG. I get the impression that we're a bunch of >audiophiles, purchasing one CD after another. Amen to that... I got 11 CD's for xmas, then went out and bought 4 more since then. I own 263 CDs to myself, and my dad and I collectively (we kind of split bands when we want to get all their albums, he'll get half, I'll get the other half... sucks when I'm at college [i don't even own my own copy of Dark Side of the Moon!]) own approximately 900-1000 CDs. We don't have a house or a car or anything, we spend all our money on music. It's a drag to have to eat cassettes! *Mike* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <368AE7A9.BD27F7FF@tc.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:55:38 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: TMBG: RE: CD collecting Sarah wrote: 212.Yo La Tengo - Electr-o-pura 213.Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One --- last updated ~ 12.28.98. Well you've got me beat in terms of numbers. I'd probably have more like 180 but I've sold about 30 of them to a used CD store because I know I'll never listen to them again. I think your collection is more specialized than mine. I may have more artists represented in mine but TMBG is the only group I have more than 5 albums from. 8 to be exact. REM is a distant second with 4 albums and all the rest of the groups are just 1 or 2 albums each. Also, about 30 of my CDs are really sampler CDs that came free with my subscription for CMJ New Music Monthly. I'm unsubscribed now. I just couldn't caught up with all these new CDs. Laura (too lazy to post a CD list. Besides it might be painful for me to admit several of the ones I do have) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5cbe4689.368ae7fb@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:56:59 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: CD collecting In a message dated 12/30/98 9:51:23 PM, mill1159@tc.umn.edu writes: >Also, about 30 of my CDs are really >sampler CDs that came free with my subscription for CMJ New Music >Monthly. heh, i have some from cmj too... wow, i never added those.. i just got the recent one, and my cd was cracked. arrr! sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199812310314.TAA19020@law-f117.hotmail.com> From: "Sarah's Madness" Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: CD collecting Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:14:57 PST eeek....my cd collection seems paltry in comparision......but considering that I only owned 5 cds until about a year ago, I think I'm doing well :) my parents own about 300 cds...man, I'm gonna have to buy so many cds when i move away from home :) ...{*} indicates cds i do not love anymore....they'll be sold to the highest bidder soon enough :) Rock/Pop/Gothic 1. Bad Religion--No Substance 2. Ben Folds Five--Whatever and Ever Amen * 3. Frank Black--Frank Black 4. Frank Black--Teenager of the Year 5. Frank Black and the Catholics--Frank Black and the Catholics 6. Frank Black and the Catholics--All My Ghosts (single) 7. The Cure--Disintegration 8. The Dead Milkmen--Death Rides a Pale Cow 9. Peter Gabriel--Revisited 10. God Lives Underwater--Life in the So-Called Space Age 11. Harvey Danger--Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone? * 12. Lincoln--Lincoln * 13. Mono Puff--Unsupervised 14. Mono Puff--It's Fun to Steal 15. Moxy Fruvous--Bargainville 16. Moxy Fruvous--B 17. Moxy Fruvous--You Will Go to The Moon 18. The Pixies--Come On Pilgrim 19. The Pixies--Death to the Pixies (2 cd set) 20. Radiohead--OK Computer 21. Saint Etienne--Good Humor 22. Siouxie and the Banshees--Twice Upon A Time: The Singles 23. The Sisters of Mercy--First and Last and Always 24. The Sisters of Mercy--Floodland 25. The Sisters of Mercy--Vision Thing 26. The Sisters of Mercy--Some Girls Wander by Mistake 27. The Sisters of Mercy--A Slight Case of Overbombing (Greatest Hits Vol. 1) 28. Sloan--Navy Blues 29. Stabbing Westward--Darkest Days 30. They Might Be Giants--Lincoln 31. They Might Be Giants--Flood 33. They Might Be Giants--Apollo 18 34. They Might Be Giants--John Henry 35. They Might Be Giants--Factory Showroom 36. They Might Be Giants--S-E-X-X-Y (single) 37. They Might Be Giants--Then: The Earlier Years (2 cd set) 38. They Might Be Giants--Severe Tire Damage 39. Tool--Opiate 40. Various Artists--Songs to Wake The Dead * 41. XTC--The Big Express Techno 42. Air--Moon Safari 43. Aphex Twin--Richard D. James Album 44. Chemical Brothers--Setting Sun (single) 45. Fluke--Risotto 46. Katharsis--Earth...Hey 47. Moby--Everything Is Wrong 48. Nine Inch Nails--The Perfect Drug Versions 49. Orbital--In Sides 50. Underworld--Dirty Epic/Cowgirl (ep) 51. Underworld--Born Slippy (ep) 52. Underworld--Pearl's Girl (ep) 53. Various Artists--One World Electronica 54. Various Artists--Digital Empire (2 cd set) 55. Various Artists--Into the Mix (2 cd set) 56. Various Artists--Plastic Compilation Vol. 1 * 57. Various Artists--Wipeout XL sarah "i listen to music lots" faye ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <368AEF6A.127705A@tc.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:28:42 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: CD collecting KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 12/30/98 9:51:23 PM, mill1159@tc.umn.edu writes: > > >Also, about 30 of my CDs are really > >sampler CDs that came free with my subscription for CMJ New Music > >Monthly. > > heh, i have some from cmj too... wow, i never added those.. > > i just got the recent one, and my cd was cracked. arrr! > > sarah A couple times I got a CMJ CD and it would play perfectly during the first half of the tracks, but I couldn't listen to the second half of the tracks because the CD kept skipping. It pissed me off. I called CMJ and at least they gave me a replacement CD for free! If you call CMJ and send them the cracked CD, they just might give you one for free so you don't have to go and order the back issue. Laura ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:50:01 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg related books ;) Message-ID: <19981230.205005.21342.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >hello, y'all should read some of hal sirowitz's books. ah! no way... hal sirowitz rocks, but i dunno if it'd be the same experience w/o hearing him! what's the publishing company? do you have any titles? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:47:04 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: CD collecting Message-ID: <19981230.205005.21342.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >TMBG is the only group I have more than 5 albums from. 8 to be exact. ooh... i finally organized (hell yeah, alphabetically) my 3 cd cases (two holding 100 cds and one holding 200)... it took about 2 hrs. and i wasn't a happy camper afterwards but it's all worth it, i can finally find the cd's when i'm looking for 'em! anyways, when i got to TMBG, i had a grand total of 18 of their cd's (with the most recent addition being the Birdhouse single)... now if we talked TMBG cassettes... well... i dunno... do you wanna count? http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:58:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg related books ;) In a message dated 12/30/98 10:53:32 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: >ah! no way... hal sirowitz rocks, but i dunno if it'd be the same >experience w/o hearing him! what's the publishing company? do you have >any titles? crown publishers. titles: "mother said" (maybe it's "my mother said") and "my therapist said" when i was in NY, i (and my friends as well ) got the therapist one at a bookstore all at half price. think it was called the strand. sarah ------------------------------ From: LOADTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: <451d54b2.368af778@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:03:04 EST Subject: TMBG: Tmbg: Shows attended/Tramp's Show! Hey everyone, I noticed that a few of you have written what shows you've been to, so here are the shows I have attended: 1. Smashing Pumpkins/Grant Lee Buffalo '97 2. Fiona Apple/Hooverphonic '97 3. Dave Matthews Band/Beck/Ben Folds Five '98 4. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS '98 5. Pearl Jam/Ben Harper '98 6. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS.... tomorrow at Tramps!!! Is anyone else going to tomorrow's shows at Tramps? If so let me know. LOADTMBG@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <368AFF62.37FA60D1@tc.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:36:51 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: CD collecting- organizing your collection tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > >TMBG is the only group I have more than 5 albums from. 8 to be exact. > > ooh... i finally organized (hell yeah, alphabetically) my 3 cd cases (two > holding 100 cds and one holding 200)... it took about 2 hrs. and i wasn't > a happy camper afterwards but it's all worth it, i can finally find the > cd's when i'm looking for 'em! > anyways, when i got to TMBG, i had a grand total of 18 of their cd's > (with the most recent addition being the Birdhouse single)... now if we > talked TMBG cassettes... well... i dunno... do you wanna count? > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :D > > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html > or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] I used to alphatize my CDs but its gotten to be too much work. But my CDs are semi-organized. They are no longer alphabetical but they are somewhat sorted by type. For instance, all my TMBG and Mono Puff stuff is lumped together. So are my REM CDs. Classic rock is in one area, world type music in another. My CMJ CDs are arranged chronologically by date, the CDs I'd be embarrassed if anyone ever saw are not in the display tower, there in a box stashed away in my closet. CDs I don't want anymore and about to give away are in another box. How do others here organize their music collections if they do at all? Laura ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-31 ******************************