Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 11 Monday, 11 January 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Interpretations TMBG: TMBG lyrics TMBG: Re: Interpretations Non-TMBG: Mono Puff Re: Non-TMBG: Mono Puff TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #14-8 TMBG: Yeahoo! Re: TMBG: Yeahoo! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:38:52 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Interpretations Message-ID: <19990110.154003.3254.3.SailorMorningStar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetic) <; Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:43:28 -0500 (EST) Received: (from sailormorningstar@juno.com) by x7.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id DYMMND8Q; Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:42:45 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:34:27 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: progress? Message-ID: <19990110.154003.3254.2.SailorMorningStar@juno.com> References: <19990110033912.10622.qmail@hotmail.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0,2-4 From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetic) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetic) <> Caffeine you mean(hey that rhymed!).....john and john dont use drugs... :) -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] he interpretations of the songs very often. Like the Johns say, I believe most of their songs have more than one way to interpret it, and, well, I just like to keep my mind open to all the possibilities. This is not intended as an offense or anything to the people who do submit their interpretations to tmbg.org, I just don't read them very often. Misty -------------------- If you believe 'most of their songs have more than one way to interpret it', why aren't you eager to check out all the different interpretations of the song rather than avoiding all of them?>> I sort of agree with Misty on this one. I used to love the song "The statue got me high" (and dont get me wrong...I still do) But, reading the interpretation of it sort of ruined it for me. Before reading it I had my own interpretation.....but now when I hear the song I can only think of the one that I read, and not my own. And I liked mine better. -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Gweeg@aol.com Message-ID: <64763242.3699112a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:44:26 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG lyrics I think that the pop sound they seem to have gained in factory showroom and the strange lyrics in every other album are begining to combine. look at the latest DAS songs. they are still pretty easy to interperate but they are definately more strange than in STD or FS i think there will be a few really weird songs on the new CD (if it is even going to get made) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <369919F8.26B2098@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:22:06 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Interpretations Misty wrote: > I don't know how many people on this list agree with me, but I just want > to go on record as saying that I don't like to read the interpretations > of the songs very often. Like the Johns say, I believe most of their > songs have more than one way to interpret it, and, well, I just like to > keep my mind open to all the possibilities. This is not intended as an > offense or anything to the people who do submit their interpretations to > tmbg.org, I just don't read them very often. > > Misty > Some of their songs do have a definite meanings but whether they do or not, I prefer to to let the lyrics make their own impressions on me over time. Once I feel I have completely OD'd on the song, its fun to read interps. Sometimes it breathes new life into them. Even when the interps seem obviously wrong, they're still fun to read. Remember the one claiming "End of the Tour" is about a drunken teenage girl who is killed in a car crash by a man who becomes overwhelmed with remorse. It was a little too creative to be believable but it was fun and it opened up other aspects of the lyrics to me. Other times fan interps seem very convincing. But usually, I prefer to do my own thinking first. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990110231711.28532.rocketmail@send202.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:17:11 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Non-TMBG: Mono Puff Hello All, I've been listening to Mono Puff's "Unsupervised" all day long (I don't know why), and every time I hear "Hello Hello" it makes me think of Tom Petty. Does anyone else notice that??? Sorry for the random thought...now back to your regularly scheduled lives.... == ~Connie~ "I hit my head, now I'm left-handed" -John Flansburgh _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:43:49 -0700 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Mono Puff Message-ID: <19990110.164354.17430.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I've been listening to Mono Puff's "Unsupervised" all day long >(I >don't know why), and every time I hear "Hello Hello" it makes me think >of Tom Petty. Does anyone else notice that??? no, but occasionally i'll think of oasis. but that's a total given so... damn i'm tired... you wouldn't think that nearly 50 hours on a bus could exhaust you so much... maybe it was just the Frulads :) take it easy, "the nice JOrdaN" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Upcoming shows: Galactic, The New Radicals, Cake, and possibly FruCon2::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <7d078442.369958b6@aol.com> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:49:42 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #14-8 John Landis wrote: << If one can read far enough into these >lyrics, one finds somthing mor akin to philosophy or social >commentary >than nerdiness. I'd be interested to know what you all think. >> I thought philosophy and social commentary were nerdiness ~Batbrain ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <97c18700.369966da@aol.com> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:50:02 EST Subject: TMBG: Yeahoo! Today, after being dragged to the Mall with family, I finally realized there was a music store at the mall, and after going there and seeing that there was NO TMBG section (Camelot Music must DIE!), I walked over to Sam Goody, and found a copy of Then, which I have been lusting over since I was too lazy to get They Might Be Giants and Lincoln seperate. Since now I have a whole 2 and a half hours more of TMBG music, I have a few compliments and questions. On the first CD: I really liked this stuff, especially "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die", "32 Footsteps" and "Rhythm Section Want Ad". I have to say that I like the STD version of "She's An Angel" better than the original version, in more ways than one. Ah well. Second CD: Lincoln is quite a better album, in my opinion, with such good ones such as ..... oh, probably the first 11 songs or so. Well, and the rest. As I was listening to Cage and Aquarium, I got a hint of a song called "Age of Aquarius", which is easy to hear if you say both to yourself. "They'll Need a Crane" is awesome! This was also the first thme for me hearing the original of "Ana Ng" and "The World's Address" (of which I love the Remix version, and the regular also). The biggest question in my head is: I've heard of "Swing is a Word" and "We've Got a World That Swings", but I can't figure out what "We've Got a World That Swings" is on. Could someone tell me what CD it is? This is total happiness for me! :) What a nice trip of being dragged to the mall! -Samantha (This is the spawning of the cage and aquarium!) (This is the dawning of the age of aquarius!) ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:27:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Yeahoo! In a message dated 1/10/99 9:52:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, IamSam98@aol.com writes: << The biggest question in my head is: I've heard of "Swing is a Word" and "We've Got a World That Swings", but I can't figure out what "We've Got a World That Swings" is on. Could someone tell me what CD it is? >> Its on the SEXXY Single..very good song. -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-11 ******************************