Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 13 Wednesday, 13 January 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Tom Ze (was "Old Dial-a-Songs") TMBG: Finding Mono Puff at the store... TMBG: UK dates TMBG: Re: We've got a world that swings Re: TMBG: Tom Ze (was "Old Dial-a-Songs") TMBG: TMBG on GLR - Request for Questions Re: TMBG: Finding Mono Puff at the store... TMBG: Doctor Worm UK single info Re: TMBG: Interpretations Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) Re: TMBG: Finding Mono Puff at the store... Re: TMBG: TMBG on GLR - Request for Questions Re: TMBG: TMBG on GLR - Request for Questions Re: TMBG: TMBG on GLR - Request for Questions Re: Non-TMBG: Year of the Euphonium Re: Non-TMBG: Year of the Euphonium Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) Re: Non-TMBG: Year of the Euphonium Re: Non-TMBG: Year of the Euphonium Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) TMBG: Spanish history during the renaissance era Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) Re: TMBG: Spanish history during the renaissance era Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) TMBG: An Actual POINT? (was: Going on The Record) Re: Non-TMBG: New subject good, old subject bad(was: An Actual Re: Non-TMBG: answering my own question (was: New subject Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <369B1EFB.40F03FBE@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:07:59 -0700 From: Gary Subject: TMBG: Tom Ze (was "Old Dial-a-Songs") "Spencer Owen" wrote: >A CD that Giantheads might enjoy: Tom Ze's "Fabrication Defect." It's a Brazilian artist known as the >"mad genius." His music is melodic and has lots of weird guitar patterns and instruments, including >Rubber Balloon On Tooth (!!!). It's a great CD, look for it in your world music section of your nearest >music store. (Rolling Stone gave it four stars, in case you care). I have one song from Tom Ze's new CD which is strange and pleasing. I have a couple other of his CDs the best of which is "The Best of Tom Ze". I'm not sure all TMBG fans would like him. I would say if you if you're into things like "Boat of Car" you might love Tom Ze. He's also done some beautiful versions of Brazilian classics. Thanks to David Byrne and Luaka Bop for making this stuff available in the US. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <369B24AD.BD45B1D8@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:32:17 -0700 From: Gary Subject: TMBG: Finding Mono Puff at the store... I bought the first MonoPuff album at The Wherehouse (a large chain where I live). I got "The Devil.."single at Best Buy. I actually had a lot of trouble finding "Its Fun to Steal". I went to several stores hoping I could find a copy hidden inbetween the many copies of Mono but I finally found it at Tower records. I never seen it once at my local Virgin Megastore. Maybe the title should have been "Its Hard to Find". -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <008901be3e2d$ac18a7e0$b1b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: TMBG: UK dates Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:15:38 -0000 How many listees in the UK are gonna be going to the UK date on the 18th? I'm dragging a lady friend up there. In case anyone's going, here's what I'll be wearing... BLACK! Black cotton trousers, Black Dinner Jacket-style Jacket (with shinny lapels), Black Shinny Chelsea boots, Black Tee-shirt or shirt (hasn't been decided just yet. If that's not enough for you to spot me out of a crowd, I'm 6ft3" with short mod-ish hair (brown) and my lady friend is shorter with long ginger/brown hair. If anyone spots me, come and have a chat, I'll be glad of it :0) -- Uncle Squid -- We lead double lives, we deal in sex and beautiful women "There's always some dumb, bullshit reason to kill your girlfriend" - Randy, Scream http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/mother_ship/ ICQ: 12605535 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:12:24 -0500 From: TDK Message-ID: <369B7466.E3E1E5BC@cybercomm.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: We've got a world that swings We've Got a World That Swings was performed by Jerry Lewis in the original Nutty Professor. It's much more of a swigin' version. Go rent it! :) -Mike FID889@aol.com wrote: > at some point long ago...i think, someone mentioned that We've got a world > that swings was a remake, but then never followed up on it and said who > originally sang it. As this is one of my favorite TMBG songs, i am interested > in hearing the original, or at least knowing who it was by. > > Megan > "i'm a good little boy" ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: Tom Ze (was "Old Dial-a-Songs") Message-ID: Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:31:52 -0500 (EST) i reviewed the tom ze album for our campus radio station. great stuff. he's said to be an influence on the beastie boys and beck, though it's only apparent in a few of his songs. it's also been near the top of our college radio charts for some time as well. it's a mix of brazilian folk with modern music. amazing. do check it out. j * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:10:21 +0000 Subject: TMBG: TMBG on GLR - Request for Questions I have just talked to a researcher on GLR and he told me that TMBG will be playing live on Wednesday 20th January at 12.30 on the Robert Elmes show (which runs from 10 to 1pm). They should also be some questions and (hopefully) answers. Now Robert Elmes is an above average presenter but he's not going to know a lot about TMBG, and does have a tendancy to talk a lot. So I think we should help him a bit by feeding him some (sensible) questions to ask! Can people send me any questions they would like asked. I will collate them and fax them to him and his researcher. Also is there any song we would like them to play that we wouldn't normally get to hear? (this may not work as they will have prepared what they want to play but lets try it) Finally is anyone going to be able to tape this? I'll be at work. Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <369B609B.62E1@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:47:55 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Finding Mono Puff at the store... I had no trouble finding IFTS, but I have had trouble finding the other ones. I could order them, but I suppose I enjoy the thrill of the hunt.. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:49:41 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Doctor Worm UK single info Message-ID: <19990112.140413.11318.2.Cambot@juno.com> Hola. I recently wrote Cooking Vinyl about info on the Doctor Worm single for the UK (NOT THE US!!! THERE WILL BE A MARKETED SINGLE FOR THE UK!!!!). I thought you all might be interested in the message: > Hi Steve > > Doctor Worm has the B-sides: Birdhouse in Your Soul, Istanbul (not > Constantinople) and XTC Vs. Adam Ant. Please note that these are the > same versions as on the Severe Tire Damage album. > > It is released on 25 January but we already have some in stock. > > It is 4 pounds plus 1 pound 95 postage and packing. We only accept > payments in pounds sterling. You can pay by credit card (all except > Amex), International Money Order or International Postal order. > > Phone: +181 600 9200 (open 9.30 to 5.30 UK time) > Fax: +181 7437534 (24 hours) > Post: PO Box 1845, London, W3 0ZA. > Or e-mail here but please note that the e-mail is not secure! So, for those of you die-hard fans who have to get anything that's official TMBG on CD (like me), this is great, right? I'm just dissapointed that they're all STD versions!!! AARRGGHHH!!!! TMBG have plenty of unreleased songs that they could've put onto the single as B-sides, but they decided to go with songs already out on the album. Oh well. I'm buying it nonetheless. Cheers Steve! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990112203150.9362.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Interpretations Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:31:50 PST >>>now when I hear the song I can only >>>think of the one that I read, and not my own. And I liked mine >>>better. >>I've been off-line for a few days, so i don't yet know if anyone's >>responded to this, but just because you read an interp on the net >>doesn't mean it's right or that yours is worse or any less >>valid... > >I know this....I was talking more in terms of my mindset..not the interp >being wrong or right. > You tell me it's the institution well, you know, you better free your mind instead. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990112203600.15324.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:36:00 PST >At 01:28 PM 1/9/99 -0500, Misty wrote: >>I don't know how many people on this list agree with me, but I just want >>to go on record as saying that I don't like to read the interpretations >>of the songs very often. Like the Johns say, I believe most of their > >Are we keeping a record here on which you can go? > >Have you people been keeping secrets from me again? > >Great. > >Harf, >Mitch >http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html > >"Every man has two nations, and one of them is France." > - Benjamin Franklin > > I'd like to go on record as saying that you're a very silly person and I'm not going to interview you. And what the hey is all this harf stuff? Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <70a21c15.369bb38d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:41:49 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Finding Mono Puff at the store... Only Place I ever saw "Its Fun To Steal" is at a chain store called FYE, It was about $17. I refused to buy it so I had Santa Bring it to me =) -Amber ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <8cc64c51.369bb415@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:44:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on GLR - Request for Questions Whats GLR? ::feels ignorant:: -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <42301ef3.369bb627@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:52:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on GLR - Request for Questions In a message dated 99-01-12 15:47:04 EST, Alterian@aol.com writes: << Whats GLR? ::feels ignorant:: >> Greater London Radio (I *think*). It's a programme on one of the BBC radio stations in Britain.....or it's a station of itself, I'm not 100% sure. jennifer ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199901122111.QAA12517@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on GLR - Request for Questions Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:11:32 -0500 (EST) > In a message dated 99-01-12 15:47:04 EST, Alterian@aol.com writes: > > << Whats GLR? ::feels ignorant:: >> > > Greater London Radio (I *think*). It's a programme on one of the BBC radio > stations in Britain.....or it's a station of itself, I'm not 100% sure. > Yes, you got the name right, and it is a subsidiary of the BBC and that's why they give out crappy prizes apparently. You can only hear the station in the Greater London area, hence the name Greater London Radio. They generally play very good music and are better than most radio stations I've heard in the U.S. -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <369BC088.268BF5E6@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:37:12 -0500 From: "Feeny (aka)Chris Campbell" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Year of the Euphonium Hey, As a Ephonium player, I will try to describe what a Euph is because If I didn't play it, I'd be at a totall loss.A Euphonium is one of the brass instruments, Evolving from tuba-like instruments. It looks a lot like a Baritone Horn, but a lil bigger and fuller brighter sound. Euphoniums have 3 or 4 valves, the fourth valve, similer to the "F" trigger on a trombone, plays the 1 and 3 valves togeather with better innotation(Sound pitch). The Euph has a range of a trombone(I can a get a few more notes than on my bone). It looks similer to a tuba(More like a 3/4 size tuba if ya know what that is) Only its smaller(smaller mouthpiece too, same as trombone) and higher pitched. Its a fun instrument, and if your schools trumpet section is horrible(Like mine) Play the Euph. For More Info, please visit http://euph.pair.com/ http://www.dwerden.com/bareuph.html-ssi http://otto.cmr.fsu.edu/~pilato_n/euph.html FEENY aka CHRIS CAMPBELL FELLOW EUPHIE PLAYER > At the New Year's Eve show, They made a comment about 1999 being "The Year > of the Euphonium". Then Linnell mentioned that it was actually officially > known as International Euphonium Year, or IEY, and that everyone was working > hard on solving the IEY2K problem. ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <93e68c84.369bc920@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:13:52 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Year of the Euphonium > Hey, As a Ephonium player, I will try to describe what a Euph is because If I > didn't play it, I'd be at a totall loss.A Euphonium is one of the brass Some information you left out: The euph is better than the baritone in more ways than one. It's better than the trumpet. It's also better than the tuba. I'm a bit biased? Nah. The range is lower and higher than a Baritone. But why am I saying all of this? All of you that, like me, are blessed enough to play Euph know this already. Or, if you play something else (god forbid), you can always switch over, like I did also. Trumpet to tuba to baritone and then to the best. Well, excluding my jazz attempts with my trumpet. Once you go Euph, you can never go back. An entertaining excellent euph, Samantha ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990112231044.01d5b5ac@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:10:44 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) At 12:36 PM 1/12/99 PST, "Todd Wetherbee" wrote: >I'd like to go on record as saying that you're a very silly person and >I'm not going to interview you. Marriage vows: fascist dogma or abused guidance? >And what the hey is all this harf stuff? Ask Samantha (IamSam98@aol.com) -- she knows all about it. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Every man has two nations, and one of them is France." - Benjamin Franklin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990112231049.01ddda1c@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:10:49 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Year of the Euphonium At 05:13 PM 1/12/99 EST, Samantha wrote: >Once you go Euph, you can never go back. I thought the quote was "Once you go harf, you can never go back." Maybe I should stop listening to that man who speaks to me in my dreams -- although he does play the euphonium. Perhaps that's why he never goes back. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Every man has two nations, and one of them is France." - Benjamin Franklin ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901122317.SAA15051@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:13:52 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Year of the Euphonium > Some information you left out: > > The euph is better than the baritone in more ways than one. It's better than > the trumpet. It's also better than the tuba. but it is not at all better than the bone. I'm a bit biased? Nah. The range > is lower and higher than a Baritone. But why am I saying all of this? All of > you that, like me, are blessed enough to play Euph know this already. Or, if > you play something else (god forbid), you can always switch over, like I did > also. unless it's the trombone. because that's better : ) >Trumpet to tuba to baritone and then to the best. well, second best, because you never played the bone... > > Once you go Euph, you can never go back. > unless you play the trombone. now who's the biased one??? jen ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901122317.SAA15371@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:13:52 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) > > And what the hey is all this harf stuff? > uh oh.... you asked for it... jen ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:58:38 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: Spanish history during the renaissance era Message-ID: <21879-369BE1AE-912@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> guess what! in history class today i came up with two new interps! no one knows my plan: el greco, a renaissance artist, is called the greek guy. during the renaissance, there was a king called william the silent. he was called that coz he never let anyonw know his plans. road movie to berlin: during the rennaisance, a french king inhereted spain. this made him extremely powerful. he got close to heaven, but before he could do anything with his new country, europe said no and made him choose between spain or france. he chose spain. but wait, there's more. his last name was...... bourbon! the french came into spain, got close to heaven, then went home, leaving spain a "glass of bourbon". neat! i know, i know, both need help, so any history teachers (or those enlightened in the area of history) that can back me up or shoot me down? finals week. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990113011743.01cfca70@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:17:43 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) At 06:13 PM 1/12/99 -0500, jen wrote: >> And what the hey is all this harf stuff? >uh oh.... you asked for it... You act as though you are not an instrumental figure in the harf movement. Shame on you! Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Every man has two nations, and one of them is France." - Benjamin Franklin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990113011745.01d39d40@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:17:45 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Spanish history during the renaissance era At 06:58 PM 1/12/99 -0500, you wrote: > guess what! in history class today i came up with two new interps! > no one knows my plan: el greco, a renaissance artist, is called the >greek guy. during the renaissance, there was a king called william the >silent. he was called that coz he never let anyonw know his plans. Well, El Greco may have been known as the Greek guy, but in the song They are referring to Plato. Specifically it refers to Plato's allegory of the cave (from Book 7 of The Republic). Hence the lines: "But they're like the people chained up in the cave In the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy" Normally I'm inclined to think that a song's interpretation is a matter of opinion, but this one seems pretty clear. Then again, there could be a double meaning intended here. Damned if I know. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Every man has two nations, and one of them is France." - Benjamin Franklin ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <690dfd8e.369c049a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:27:38 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) SHUSH! Don't tell them I know .... Mitch, it's supposed to be a secret for now ... until we could harf the harf, and then I was going to harf, "Harf harf, harf!" And harf the harf, while harfing... oh, well YOU know this all already! Nevermind. Harf ya lots, Samantha ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990113023455.01a9dec8@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:34:55 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Going on The Record (was: Interpretations) At 09:27 PM 1/12/99 EST, Samantha wrote: >SHUSH! Don't tell them I know .... Mitch, it's supposed to be a secret for now >... until we could harf the harf, and then I was going to harf, "Harf harf, >harf!" And harf the harf, while harfing... oh, well YOU know this all already! >Nevermind. As though I could ever keep a secret. Ha! The Department of Defense learned that, much to their chagrin, a few years back when they made the unfortunate mistake of giving me Secret security clearance. Do they really think that those cartoon anti-espionage posters are going to dissuade anyone? Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." - Unknown ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <9aa66e1d.369c0ae3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:54:27 EST Subject: TMBG: An Actual POINT? (was: Going on The Record) > As though I could ever keep a secret. Ha! The Department of Defense > learned that, much to their chagrin, a few years back when they made the > unfortunate mistake of giving me Secret security clearance. Well, harf? really? Oh, well, I had a point, I think. Oh yes! Flansie is going down like a ... going down like a ... well, that's up to your imagination ... anyway, the point ... oh yes. Well, we need to all go out and vote for our friend John Flansburgh in Time's poll! http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html We love John ... some of us have explicit sexual fantasies about Flansie *gives Mitch a look of death* ... and some of us prefer either Lin or Harf over Flansie in general. 3 Ric Flair 10.35 172233 4 John Flansburgh 9.62 160050 5 Prophet Mohammed 7.19 119708 Look at the DEFICIT! Catch up, John!! We gotta help him! Harf, Samantha "Oh great, it's Nazi Germany, and I have playboys in my locker!" - BtVS "Do you see any goats? No, because I SACRAFICED them all!" - BtVS again "Do you feel like you've been violated, Mitch? Harf." - Me ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990113032527.01ea31dc@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:25:27 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: New subject good, old subject bad(was: An Actual At 09:54 PM 1/12/99 EST, Samantha wrote: >> As though I could ever keep a secret. Ha! The Department of Defense >> learned that, much to their chagrin, a few years back when they made the >> unfortunate mistake of giving me Secret security clearance. > >Well, harf? really? Oh, well, I had a point, I think. I really was granted Secret clearance, yes. Applied Research Laboratories rue the day that they hired me. >We love John ... some of us have explicit sexual fantasies about Flansie >*gives Mitch a look of death* ... and some of us prefer either Lin or Harf >over Flansie in general. I've received only one look in my life that can be accurately described as "a look of death". It was given to me by Monica Brown (mab16@acpub.duke.edu). I had never seen such a look before, and I hope never to see one again. Therefore, your alleged "look of death" leaves me nonplussed and unruffled. >"Oh great, it's Nazi Germany, and I have playboys in my locker!" - BtVS BtVs? And that would be? >"Do you feel like you've been violated, Mitch? Harf." - Me This is the best thing. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." - Unknown ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990113033047.01c50170@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:30:47 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: answering my own question (was: New subject >BtVs? And that would be? Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But why leave the last "s" uncapitalized? harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." - Unknown ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-13 ******************************