Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 15 Friday, 15 January 1999 Today's Topics: Re: Non-TMBG: Personal Mottos (was: Interpretations) Re: TMBG: Dr.Worm Video -Reply -Reply TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG NON TMBG: German Re: TMBG: Another of my stupidly long TMBG dreams... Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG TMBG: re: Greatest Hits RE: TMBG: Greatest Hits TMBG: re: Personal Mottos Re: NON TMBG: German Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG TMBG: silly critiquing action Re: TMBG: Personal Mottos NON-TMBG: Punctuation Re: TMBG: Personal Mottos Re: TMBG: silly critiquing action Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG TMBG: Puzzled... Re: TMBG: re: Greatest Hits Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits Re: NON TMBG: German Re: TMBG: Personal Mottos TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous TMBG: RE: MTV totally hates TMBG non-TMBG: FruCon2 Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Non TMBG: German Thanks Re: NON TMBG: German TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: Puzzled... Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous TMBG: Factory Showroom Bonus Song? Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Bonus Song? TMBG:Mono puff Re: non-TMBG: FruCon2 Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Bonus Song? (Fwd) Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous TMBG: Fruvous_covers_TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG Mix Tapes (was Re: TMBG: re: Greatest Hits) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <002f01be3fa9$ddd99640$98b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Personal Mottos (was: Interpretations) Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:36:57 -0000 My personal motto is: Nothing succeeds like exess -- Uncle Squid -- We lead double lives, we deal in sex and beautiful women "There's always some dumb, bullshit reason to kill your girlfriend" - Randy, Scream http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/mother_ship/ ICQ: 12605535 ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 9:56:53 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr.Worm Video -Reply -Reply OK OK OK so maybe the video is not meant to be broadcast as such and is probably only a promotional video to impress some radio DJ or TV producer. However it isn't a bootleg. I purchased it from an Oxfam (do you have Oxfam in the USA - it is a large respectable Charity) shop in central London and there was a small but good stock of similar videos for sale (I picked up the Rolling Stones 'Gimme Shelter live' video as the same time). I think some nice person in the 'media' is regularly passing promotional videos to them. For people living in London it is the Oxfam on the East side of Marylebone High Street opposite Boots. Worth a visit. As for working on US TV sets Russ has sent me video tapes that worked on my UK video so I hope he can turn round a video that works on a UK TV to work on a USA TV if you see what I mean - technically speaking! Richard >>> "idiotnot@visi.net" 13/January/1999 08:20pm >>> :Well as it happens this very morning I airmailed a video cassette of Dr :Worm to Russ for him to include in the next video bootleg. It's a cassette :to be used by professional broadcasters (it has a 10,9,8,7 second :on-screen countdown at the start) that I purchased from my local :(central London) Oxfam for about $one.Honest! I'm sure it's really bootleg. Still, if it's on VHS format, it ain't professional quality, rather it is a dub from a professional broadcast-quality tape. It's probably 3rd generation (edit master to dub master to VHS), which isn't bad, but it isn't good either. Furthermore, being in Britain, it's PAL format, which won't work on most US TV sets. The countdown isn't a big deal....many good-quality VHS recorders have a countdown function, you just have to look for it. Just another note from the list's resident broadcaster..... Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ From: TMBJon@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:39:11 EST Subject: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG In a message dated 1/14/99 2:05:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-tmbg- digest@tmbg.org writes: << forget MTV. just don't even bother. just don't. the only time i've even seen a TMBG video on TV was on comedy central (of all places) on a squirt TV special. it was istanbul, btw. try M2, but few cable providers have picked it up yet >> Actually, I once called 800-DIAL-MTV (after an hour of getting busy signals) I requested Doctor Worm. They told me: "Uhmm.... I don't think we have that in stock. We stopped playing They May (sic) Be Giants back in 1987 when "Weird Al" Yankovich (sic) played "Let's Not Start" (sic). His choice, not ours." MTV totally sucks. Why can't they play a lotta music, and not just crap? We need to call MTV all the time until they are convinced there are enough fans to watch the video and support MTV. TMBJon@aol.com Jon! Katz (the only guy who uses punctuation in his name) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:30:48 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Message-ID: <19990114.113050.2894.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Yes, Mtv sucks. But 1987? That doesn't sound right...How many times have thy hosted 120 Min? They were on in 1990 to play Particle Man live, and also showed the videos for Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head and BHIYS. Then after the release of Apollo 18, they were on to play She's Actual Size live, and then again to host 120 Min, when They played The Guitar video. And in 94, They hosted again, playing the video for Snail Shell, and also doing AKA Driver and The End Of The Tour live. Anyone know of any others? Whoever you talked to over there apparently doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" >Actually, I once called 800-DIAL-MTV >(after an hour of getting busy signals) >I requested Doctor Worm. They told me: >"Uhmm.... I don't think we have that in stock. >We stopped playing They May (sic) Be Giants >back in 1987 when "Weird Al" Yankovich (sic) >played "Let's Not Start" (sic). His choice, >not ours." > >MTV totally sucks. Why can't they play a lotta music, >and not just crap? We need to call MTV all the time >until they are convinced there are enough fans to watch >the video and support MTV. > >TMBJon@aol.com >Jon! Katz (the only guy who uses punctuation in his name) > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990114171516.29801.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:15:16 PST >P.S. I'm also looking for the same type of songs for Black Crowes, Led >Zepellin, Ben Folds Five, Moxy Fruvous, Refreshments, Eels, Phish, >Widespread Panic, Cracker, Less Than Jake, Skankin Pickle, Mr. T >Experience, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Smashing Pumpkins, Agents of Good Roots, >and Beethoven if you happen to have any opinions on any of these bands. > > WYEDG is a good choice for TMBG. Nice work. Or Rhythm Section Want Ad I think. Zeplin - Ramble On BFF - Alice Childress? (wierd, I know) Phish - Harry Hood. But then, it really depends on what kind of Phish songs you like. You could be more of a Possum guy. Or Fluffhead. Widespread - Rebirtha? I dunno, I'm not as informed on this one. Smashing Punkins - Rhinocerous Beethoven - Take the skinheads bowling. And that, by the way, is my personal motto. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990114121600.006d2160@goshen.edu> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:16:00 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG I remember seeing 'Ana Ng' on MTV once in 1994 or 5. I never watch MTV, so the fact that I actually saw it once means they must have been on more than that. SO, these days MTV might hate TMBG, but they definitly haven't been completely neglected since 1987. ~Amanda At 11:30 AM 1/14/99 -0500, you wrote: >Yes, Mtv sucks. But 1987? That doesn't sound right...How many times have >thy hosted 120 Min? They were on in 1990 to play Particle Man live, and >also showed the videos for Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head and >BHIYS. Then after the release of Apollo 18, they were on to play She's >Actual Size live, and then again to host 120 Min, when They played The >Guitar video. And in 94, They hosted again, playing the video for Snail >Shell, and also doing AKA Driver and The End Of The Tour live. Anyone >know of any others? Whoever you talked to over there apparently doesn't >know his ass from a hole in the ground. > >Derek >"What is everyone staring at?" > >>Actually, I once called 800-DIAL-MTV >>(after an hour of getting busy signals) >>I requested Doctor Worm. They told me: >>"Uhmm.... I don't think we have that in stock. >>We stopped playing They May (sic) Be Giants >>back in 1987 when "Weird Al" Yankovich (sic) >>played "Let's Not Start" (sic). His choice, >>not ours." >> >>MTV totally sucks. Why can't they play a lotta music, >>and not just crap? We need to call MTV all the time >>until they are convinced there are enough fans to watch >>the video and support MTV. >> >>TMBJon@aol.com >>Jon! Katz (the only guy who uses punctuation in his name) >> > > >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html >or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:34:52 -0500 Subject: NON TMBG: German Message-ID: <19990114.123504.-254259.2.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) I know there are German speaking listees out there, so if you know German, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, tell me how to say "Drink Goat's Blood In A Can!" in German, I will be ever greatful. Mysterio Gal (The notorious "Hooded Rat") "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge." --Hunter S. Thompson MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:28:51 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Another of my stupidly long TMBG dreams... Message-ID: <19990114.123503.-254259.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Heee Heee, what a fun dream, I must make comments :D SNIP <a >drawing pad that looked identical to my own sitting on his desk. I >stood up >and looked at the drawing. It was a cartoony rendition of Flansy >wearing a >cape and boots. It looked really silly, but it was very well-drawn.>> hehe, were the cape and boots all he was wearing ;) (pardon my gibberish) << "Yeah, I have been. But Linnell's down here in Virginia doing >some weird >thing involving cookies, so I figured I'd take a vacation myself!" >> wait-a-minute, this is crossing into dangerous territory, government files, nuclear war, and infinite numbers of rubber rats seeping out of L.A. Be careful about the amount of info you give this list, or the whole sinister plan will go topside. But leaving proffesional matters aside, one does have to wonder... what's with the Linnell cookies, and if they were marketed, what would they taste like, and what would they be shaped like: i.e. Linnell heads, accordians? << The only light came from a deep blue lightbulb right over >Linnell's head. He was sitting in a chair, dressed all in black. I >walked over >to him, and he looked up and smiled at me. "I take it Mr. Flansburgh >told you >to find me?">> Bird House In Your Soul!!!! :D << "Uh, yes," I replied. "I'm Les--" > He raised a hand. "There's no need for you introduce yourself, >miss. I know >who you are already.">> scary :) << I was a little taken aback, but I tried not to let it phase >me. "Okay, so >anyway, Mr. Flansburgh said you needed some help with cookies, Mr. >Linnell." > "You're right, I do!" He laughed softly then, stood up, took >my hand, and led >me past the light into the complete blackness of the rest of the >room.>> Hmmmmm > > > The next part of my dream had nothing to do with TMBG, except >I found a HUGE >bag of cookies with Linnell's picture on the back...I still don't get >the >thing with the cookies. Oh well. It's like this Leslie, John and John, having proven themselves telepathic in you dream, are sending important information on the new TMBProductions breakthrough product "Tons O' Fun, Linnell Yum, Giant Cookies" (may contain peanuts), and BHIYS will be the jingle, somehow. Funny that at the same time I shaved off my eyebrows, my close friend in Washington had a dream that I was "ART" touring with Marylin Manson who was trying to get kids to eat their parent's brains. Coincidences like that can be really exciting > Oh, and just as a side-note, on December 25th, I celebrated my >one-year >anniversary as a Gianthead!!! I'm so happy! ^_^ congrats ;) >Leslie Mysterio Gal (who has no eyebrows and hasn't checked her E-mail in a week.) "Trink Tcsegan Blu'd in der glas!" -- Hooded Rat (who would like to know how to spell "Drink Goat's Blood In A Can" in German) MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:37:26 -0500 (EST) i think the first time i heard the rocked out version of wdtss was on 120. they've certainly been around past 87. * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:28:36 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: re: Greatest Hits >If anyone can help me out with another song to consider, I'd >appreciate it. Ben: I have an idea for Eels... "Going to Your Funeral Pt. 1" off the new album. Either that or "My Descent Into Madness." As for TMBG, I must elect "She's an Angel," either the original or the live version. For their later stuff, I would suggest either "The End of the Tour" or "The Bells are Ringing." How's THAT grabbin' ya? :) --Spencer, who's not responsible for anything he does ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:26:24 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: RE: TMBG: Greatest Hits Message-id: <369E445C.36@wmich.edu> I recently made a compilation of TMBG music for a friend which included various others like BFF and Moxy Fruvous.... and I had a hard enough time just narrowing my selections down to six or so (I ended up making two tapes!) But, I think Where Your Eyes Don't Go would be a good choice indeed.... if it were me, I would also consider songs like Hey Mr DJ, Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, No One Knows My Plan, and Spiraling Shape (I'd go on but I have WAY too many favourites.....) As for some other groups may I suggest...... Philosophy or Video for Ben Folds Five Lazlo's Career or King of Spain for Moxy Fruvous and Reba for Phish Of course these are all hard to choose to..... good luck with the tape! ~Sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:32:40 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: re: Personal Mottos Mine is, "A bird in the hand keeps the doctor away"...or is it "A rolling stone catches the worm"...wait, no, it's "People in glass houses-" umm...wait...I get it - NO, I lost it...hmmm.... --Spencer, who lives with his mother and repeats himself (Wait...I got it now! Ummm... damn! never mind... I'll tell you when I think of it) ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <88bb405a.369e4665@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:32:53 EST Subject: Re: NON TMBG: German This is probably wrong, but close..I didn't do good at German.. Its probably full of numerous grammar mistakes that would make someone from Germany cringe but please correct me if I'm wrong.... Trink das Ziegeblut in eine Kanne. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990114193929.15485.rocketmail@web306.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:39:29 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits ---Ben Bradshaw wrote: > P.S. I'm also looking for the same type of songs for Black Crowes, Led > Zepellin, Ben Folds Five, Moxy Fruvous, Refreshments, Eels, Phish, > Widespread Panic, Cracker, Less Than Jake, Skankin Pickle, Mr. T > Experience, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Smashing Pumpkins, Agents of Good Roots, > and Beethoven if you happen to have any opinions on any of these bands. > > I don't know about a lot of those bands, but for Moxy Fruvous I would probably go with one of three... 1) "King of Spain" (Hey, it's classic Fruvous) 2) "Michigan Militia" (I'd go with the live version personaly) 3) "The Drinking Song" (What's not to like) Of course if you have a copy (I wish I did) go with "Green Eggs and Ham". As for BFF, I haven't heard it yet, but I think that on the BF solo album there's a track with Flans. I'd go with either "what to world need now" (I think thats the title), or the one about the super model for Cracker. - == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <76aae3c3.369e4895@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:42:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits In a message dated 1/14/99 2:40:25 PM, ttoclat42@yahoo.com writes: >> P.S. I'm also looking for the same type of songs for Black Crowes, Led >> Zepellin, Ben Folds Five, Moxy Fruvous, Refreshments, Eels, Phish, >> Widespread Panic, Cracker, Less Than Jake, Skankin Pickle, Mr. T >> Experience, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Smashing Pumpkins, Agents of Good >Roots, >> and Beethoven if you happen to have any opinions on any of these >bands. >> bf5: where's summer b / or / emaline fruvous: laika sarah ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <22e6ed80.369e49ee@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:47:58 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG In a message dated 99-01-14 11:33:38 EST, captainmarvel2@juno.com writes: > They were on in 1990 to play Particle Man live, >Then after the release of Apollo 18, they were on to play She's > Actual Size live, and then again to host 120 Min, when They played The > Guitar video. And in 94, They hosted again, playing the video for Snail > Shell, and also doing AKA Driver and The End Of The Tour live. Anyone > know of any others? They were on in September of '93, as well...They aired the Don't Let's Start video and performed "Why Does the Sun Shine?" (it wasn't a totally rocked out version, as someone mentioned in another post..it was the version from the EP), which I have on a tape somewhere...... I also have on tape from MTV, the video for Birdhouse... I think I got that sometime in 95. jennifer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:44:46 -0600 Subject: TMBG: silly critiquing action Message-ID: <19990114.144546.10118.1.khurby@juno.com> From: khurby@juno.com (new balance love) people : : i'm new here so you're gonna hafta forgive me if i start throwing old ideas into the discussion. recently in rolling stone, if you guys missed this, tmbg was compared to barenaked ladies. i was like, wow, that's not cool. i have this problem with virtually all media. media covering music. it's not good. i seriously can't stand for anyone (besides you guys and other fans) discussing tmbg in a negative way. i seriously can't see a person -not- liking tmbg. it's all about being there and understanding, and some random reporter filling page space with music reviews just doesn't count. i hate rolling stone. yeah baby. : : mike k : nip nip nip pin pin pin ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990114210727.3933.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah's Madness" Subject: Re: TMBG: Personal Mottos Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:07:27 PST mine is "Come learn the path of the one true church. Come and grovel at our feet. Or just send money, if you like." sarah faye ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199901142108.QAA72174@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:08:31 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: NON-TMBG: Punctuation At 08:39 AM 1/14/99 -0500, you wrote: >Jon! Katz (the only guy who uses punctuation in his name) > Not true. --J'son, who knows it's a rare occasion when the apostrophe is brought out-- ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <713003d4.369e5eba@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:16:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Personal Mottos ah, mottos. my own: the cynics get the last laugh, and the cowards live the longest. never do today what you could feasibly put off till tomorrow. why do yourself what can be done by someone else? life is but a dream, unless you're awake. an apple a day will assuredly not keep the doctor away, but they do taste damned good, don't they? sexual activity as an extension of romantic love is a foolish idea. listen to your tmbg. among others. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990114155612.00882100@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:56:12 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: silly critiquing action At 02:44 PM 1/14/99 -0600, you wrote: >people : > > : i'm new here so you're gonna hafta forgive me if i start throwing >old ideas into the discussion. recently in rolling stone, if you guys >missed this, tmbg was compared to barenaked ladies. i was like, wow, >that's not cool. i have this problem with virtually all media. media >covering music. it's not good. i seriously can't stand for anyone >(besides you guys and other fans) discussing tmbg in a negative way. i >seriously can't see a person -not- liking tmbg. it's all about being >there and understanding, and some random reporter filling page space with >music reviews just doesn't count. i hate rolling stone. yeah baby. : > or do you mean BNL being compared to TMBG? I've heard BNL called the TMBG for Hippies several times, and not once has it ever made me mad. I happen to like BNL, even their recent CD, it's a good CD. L "Stick this in your Leffel and smoke it" DB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990114160503.00877640@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:05:03 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG >Actually, I once called 800-DIAL-MTV >(after an hour of getting busy signals) >I requested Doctor Worm. They told me: >"Uhmm.... I don't think we have that in stock. >We stopped playing They May (sic) Be Giants >back in 1987 when "Weird Al" Yankovich (sic) >played "Let's Not Start" (sic). His choice, >not ours." > Give the guy credit. At least he knew enough to fuck it up, instead of saying who? I've heard many people screw up names of songs, (and bands) it's a very common thing. Also, I'm sick of the people here hating Al. Al is a super talented musician, just because he does funny songs and parodies, (Oh dear lord. Guess what? TMBG does Parodies and Funny songs, too) does not make him stupid. Al is a big fan of TMBG, and Al played them. Wait lemme say that again, Al played them. He decided to put "don't let's start" on AlTV, that should put him in a good place in your eyes. About the Let's/don't flub, I can see that happening "Don't Let's Start" does not make very much sense as a sentance or name, so the guy switched it around to something that did make sense, "Let's not start," something that's commonly used. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of MTV either, in fact, I don't like Television in general, but don't go picking on some guy 'cause he wasn't a fan and well versed on everything TMBG. L "If Leffel were here, he'd agree" DB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:52:09 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Puzzled... Now that I'm a fan of TMBG, both Linnell's and Flansburgh's voices sound totally different and are distinctly clear. But why do people think they sound alike? I really have no clue. Linnell definitely has a smoother voice than Flansburgh, whereas Flansburgh has a whinier voice. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I'm not saying this is bad. But why? I used to get them mixed up too... WHY? --Spencer, who's name is always being called when he is alone ------------------------------ From: Laura A Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: re: Greatest Hits Message-Id: <369e74cb40e0500@mhub2.tc.umn.edu> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:51:01 -0600 Responding to the message of Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:28:36 -0800 from "Spencer Owen" : > > >If anyone can help me out with another song to consider, I'd >appreciate > it. > > Ben: I have an idea for Eels... "Going to Your Funeral Pt. 1" off the new > album. Either that or "My Descent Into Madness." > > As for TMBG, I must elect "She's an Angel," either the original or the > live version. For their later stuff, I would suggest either "The End of > the Tour" or "The Bells are Ringing." How's THAT grabbin' ya? :) > This gives me an idea. I'd like to make a mix tape of all my favorite TMBG songs. And I have so many favorites I would need a whole tape, maybe even two. I also want a TMBG mixed tape so I can listen to TMBG in my car. My car doesn't have a CD player, just a cassette player. But now comes the trouble of picking which ones are going to be on it and in which order. ARRRRGH Laura ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <3f5f20b0.369e735b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:44:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits > Smashing Punkins - Rhinocerous Exactly my opinion -- I was going to say it, but I read all of my email before I could, and lo and behold it was there. -Samantha ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:01:09 EST Subject: Re: NON TMBG: German "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" Drink goat's blood in a can! "Trinkst du Ziegeblut in eine Kanne? Und magst du er?" - You drink goat's blood in a can? And you like it? "Ja, ich mag das Zeigeblud sehr gern ... willst du einiges?" - Yeah, I like goat's blood very much ... do you want some? I could go on, but I think you get my point. - die Samantha ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <5350810e.369e7ab9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:16:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Personal Mottos In a message dated 99-01-14 16:19:22 EST, RabbiVole@aol.com writes: > sexual activity as an extension of romantic love is a foolish > idea. B-b-b-but THAT'S no FUN! My motto: Klaatu... Barada... Nik-*COUGH COUGH COUGH!* Alternately: Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:20:13 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Message-id: <369E7BAC.649D@wmich.edu> I just wanted reamark on something I noticed the other upon listening to Moxy Fruvou's Live Noise CD. I was playing in random order, and I noticed that at the end of BJ Don't Cry, Jian (i think) says "The statue got my high" I just thought that it was neat to hear the TMBG reference on their live album. ~Sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:21:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous In a message dated 1/14/99 6:19:39 PM, sarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: >I just wanted reamark on something I noticed the other upon listening to >Moxy Fruvou's Live Noise CD. I was playing in random order, and I >noticed that at the end of BJ Don't Cry, Jian (i think) says "The statue >got my high" I just thought that it was neat to hear the TMBG reference >on their live album. yup, they make tmbg references constantly. jian started singing particle man at one of the shows i was at this summer, and at a show i was at just over a year ago, mike started a few second cover of they'll need a crane. sarah ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <4b4ae0d4.369e7c1a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:22:02 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG In a message dated 99-01-14 17:15:29 EST, LDB@TMBG.ORG writes: << About the Let's/don't flub, I can see that happening "Don't Let's Start" does not make very much sense as a sentance or name >> Actually, it does. Break it down: Do Not Let Us Start jennifer ------------------------------ From: MDJSK@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:09:08 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Greatest Hits <> Stop right there and throw "Selfless, Cold, and Composed", by Ben Folds Five on the pile. << Moxy Fruvous, Refreshments, Eels,>> I only have Electro-shock Blues, so I can only suggest the best song offa that album, "P.S. You Rock My World". <> Less Than Jake's "Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts" would be a nice representation of the band. << Skankin Pickle,>> The lead singer's voice is tres irritating, but i thinkhalf of Skankin' Pickle makes up half of the B. Lee Band, who covered "She's An Angel". AND Skankin' Pickle does a ripping cover of "Turning Japaneese". So they're not all bad. <> Gotta go with the 5th, man. -jakeok http://www.angelfire.com/va/loserboi <----neglected website "and maybe it's time to live..." -eels, "p.s. you rock my world" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990114172523.00883c50@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:25:23 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG At 06:22 PM 1/14/99 EST, you wrote: >In a message dated 99-01-14 17:15:29 EST, LDB@TMBG.ORG writes: > ><< About the Let's/don't flub, I can see that happening "Don't Let's Start" > does not make very much sense as a sentance or name >> > >Actually, it does. Break it down: Do Not Let Us Start It does not say, Do not let us start. It says don't let's start. I understand it's a contraction for it, but it's name itself don't let's start, does not make sense. L "If Mikey were here, he'd call ya a head head" DB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:42:28 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Message-ID: <19990114.164307.18454.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >. jian started singing >particle man >at one of the shows i was at this summer, and at a show i was at just >over a >year ago, mike started a few second cover of they'll need a crane. yup, jian sang particle man at my first frushow :) then after the show said he'd done it cuz he'd heard (from the NG) that i (tmbgirl) was gonna be at the show :) They rock... honestly they do. which reminds me... is anyone here planning on going to Frucon2? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990115001311.25697.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: RE: MTV totally hates TMBG Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:13:10 PST While we're on the subject of screw-ups, I just wanted to bring up something I found last night. For christmas, I received the "Harmony Illistrated Encyclopedia of Rock; 7th Edition". In the "Appendix to Performers" section, this is what it has to say about TMBG: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS: Idiosyncratic duo (accordinist John Linnell and percussionist John Flansburgh) from Boston wowing U.S. college circuit (as of 1992). Signed to Electrika Records, for which lable they've cut four albums. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control." -Pink Floyd, "Another Brick in the Wall (part 2)" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0qbeJI200ayX0PBP40@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:17:56 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: non-TMBG: FruCon2 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Jan-99 Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous by tmbgirl@juno.com > yup, jian sang particle man at my first frushow :) > then after the show said he'd done it cuz he'd heard (from the NG) that i > (tmbgirl) was gonna be at the show :) They rock... honestly they do. > which reminds me... is anyone here planning on going to Frucon2? considering it. Toronto is only like 5 hours from here, so it'd be an easy drive, assuming the weather is OK. but I can't commit myself to getting tickets when I don't know if I'll be able to go. :( plus I'm seeing them three days in a row in February (4-6)... of course, they won't do anything unusual and rare at those shows. (why can't TMBG learn to tour the right way - Pittsburgh, Boston, New York doesn't make sense... Pittsburgh, DC, Philly does...) another question: if Moxy Fruvous were to cover a TMBG song, which one should it be? if TMBG were to cover a Moxy Fruvous song, which? my votes go for TMBG doing The Incredible Medicine Show or Down from Above (because they have less 4 part harmony than most Fruvous songs), and Fruvous doing Subliminal or O Do Not Forsake Me... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:28:44 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Message-ID: <19990114.212846.9550.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) What? Who hates Weird Al? I love the guy, and I know most people on this list agree. He's a great, talented guy. Show me those who disagree, and I'll club them and eat there bones! Derek "What is everyone staring at?" >Also, I'm sick of the people here hating Al. Al is a super talented musician, >just because he does funny songs and parodies, (Oh dear lord. Guess what? >TMBG does Parodies and Funny songs, too) does not make him stupid. Al is >a big fan of TMBG, and Al played them. Wait lemme say that again, Al >played them. He decided to put "don't let's start" on AlTV, that should put him >in a good place in your eyes. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:16:55 -0500 Subject: Non TMBG: German Thanks Message-ID: <19990114.211707.-254259.3.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Ja thanx :P Thanks, all ya great listees who contrributed the interps, you have helped me, my sig, and my art out a great deal, thank you :D Mysterio Gal (The notorious "Hooded Rat") "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" <--- My other Motto --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001101be402f$ac2fb1c0$5cc708d1@seanberg> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: German Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:35:07 -0500 :This is probably wrong, but close..I didn't do good at German.. Its probably :full of numerous grammar mistakes that would make someone from Germany cringe :but please correct me if I'm wrong.... Trink das Ziegeblut in eine Kanne. Actually pretty close...the command version: "Trink etwas ziegeblut in einen kanne." the formal version: "Trinken Sie etwas ziegeblut in einen kanne." Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:45:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG Message-ID: <19990114.212914.3302.1.SailorMorningStar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetic) <> What?! Boston? I am confused. -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:29:12 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Puzzled... Message-ID: <19990114.212914.3302.6.SailorMorningStar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetic) I know exactly what you mean. Before I was as avid a fan as I am now, I couldn't tell Linnell's voice from Flans........but now........it is distinctly clear to me, and for a while I really didntt understand why I was confused in the first place! This also reminds me a lot of the first time I heard the beatles...I had no idea who's voice was which... either. The point I am getting at is the answer to your "WHY?!" The reason is becuase that when you first liked them it took you a while to disdinguish one voice from another, much like it is taking some other people also. I guess you just had to get to "know" them.. YA KNOW!!!?! hehe... pointless topic...but hey I had no other emails to write and I am bored...k? -Karen :P On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:52:09 -0800 "Spencer Owen" writes: >Now that I'm a fan of TMBG, both Linnell's and Flansburgh's voices >sound totally different and are distinctly clear. But why do people >think they sound alike? I really have no clue. Linnell definitely has >a smoother voice than Flansburgh, whereas Flansburgh has a whinier >voice. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I'm not saying this is bad. But why? I used >to get them mixed up too... WHY? > >--Spencer, who's name is always being called when he is alone > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990114214107.0093b3c0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:43:08 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG At 09:28 PM 1/14/99, Derek A Klein wrote: >What? Who hates Weird Al? I love the guy, and I know most people on this >list agree. He's a great, talented guy. Show me those who disagree, and >I'll club them and eat there bones! When I said that Weird Al is a better accordion player than Linnell a while back, a lot of anti-Al sentiments were posted to the list. :-) Al's not for everyone, and I guess I'll leave it there. Personally I think he's great, although this 3-years-between-albums-crap is getting a little old. -Adam, who still stands by that statement about Al's squeezin' skills -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <3f603f06.369eab5d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:43:41 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG In a message dated 99-01-14 21:41:26 EST, sailormorningstar@juno.com writes: >>THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS: Idiosyncratic duo (accordinist John Linnell and >> percussionist John Flansburgh) from Boston wowing U.S. college circuit >> (as of 1992). Signed to Electrika Records, for which lable they've cut >> four albums. > > What?! Boston? I am confused. Well..wouldn't you know it.. that's about the *only* thing that the article in the book got right (even if they do now live in New York)! I don't know which I find funnier... that they spelled the record label wrong or that they actually think Flans is the percussionist. jennifer ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <11c373f1.369eac59@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:47:53 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous In a message dated 1/14/99 6:45:46 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: >They rock... honestly they do. >which reminds me... is anyone here planning on going to Frucon2? > i would be, but apparently i'm a year or 2 too young for the shows. grrr! since when is fruvous "adult" music anyway? ;P and tmbg for that matter. regardless, i get to go to an all ages sloan show that friday, so yayaaaaaay! sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990114214937.0092ca50@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:52:30 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous At 09:47 PM 1/14/99, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >i would be, but apparently i'm a year or 2 too young for the shows. grrr! >since when is fruvous "adult" music anyway? ;P and tmbg for that matter. And I would, but South Carolina's a little far away. :-p -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:55:06 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom Bonus Song? Message-ID: <28715-369EAE0A-1306@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I might have posted this already, but their was sometihng wrong with my computer when I did, so it might not have gotten through. Anyway, I heard that there's an Extra Track on Factory Showroom, but when I played it to check...there wasn't! So is there? Somebody let me know--- Dexburger "I, have never done...acid" - Jim Infantino ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:02:55 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Message-ID: <19990114.200313.3598.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> complaints complaints... first sarah: >>i would be, but apparently i'm a year or 2 too young for the shows. >grrr! >>since when is fruvous "adult" music anyway? ;P and tmbg for that >matter. well we all know my stance on fake id's. :) then adam: >And I would, but South Carolina's a little far away. :-p okay well i'm considering going from denver... try that on for size :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::must get third job::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <26ff2254.369eaf84@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:01:24 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Bonus Song? In a message dated 1/14/99 9:56:03 PM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >I might have posted this already, but their was sometihng wrong with my >computer when I did, so it might not have gotten through. Anyway, I >heard that there's an Extra Track on Factory Showroom, but when I played >it to check...there wasn't! So is there? Somebody let me know--- ugh. isn't this in the FAQ? *yawn* (::flashback:: "FAQ. FAQ. ...FAQ) um, it's before track 1. you have to "rewind" or scan backwards. it doesn't work on all cd players. sarah ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:14:42 EST Subject: TMBG:Mono puff Does anyone know where I could find the tab for Guitar was the Case by Monopuff? Jeff "Sig of mystery" Craig ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: <27ef8153.369ec286@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:22:30 EST Subject: Re: non-TMBG: FruCon2 In a message dated 1/14/99 9:20:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: << if TMBG were to cover a Moxy Fruvous song, which? >> Definitely Sad Today. Of all their songs, it is the most TMBGish. It resminds me of I've Got a Match. I also thing that Fruvous would do a rocking version of Weep Day, with Murray on bass and Jian on the congas. --Jamal ------------------------------ Message-Id: <369EC7AC.3A2AC018@tc.umn.edu> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:44:29 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Bonus Song? Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > I might have posted this already, but their was sometihng wrong with my > computer when I did, so it might not have gotten through. Anyway, I > heard that there's an Extra Track on Factory Showroom, but when I played > it to check...there wasn't! So is there? Somebody let me know--- > Dexburger > > "I, have never done...acid" - Jim Infantino Yes, a bonus track exists but not all CD players will play it. To play the track try pressing the rewind button until the timer says 1:03, then let go. The bonus track should play if your CD player is equipped for this sort of thing. Actually, I just discovered this last night myself when I was surfing the TMBG websites. Laura ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199901150446.XAA28133@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:44:16 -0500 Subject: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous In a message dated 1/14/99 6:19:39 PM, sarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: >I just wanted reamark on something I noticed the other upon listening to >Moxy Fruvou's Live Noise CD. I was playing in random order, and I >noticed that at the end of BJ Don't Cry, Jian (i think) says "The statue >got my high" I just thought that it was neat to hear the TMBG reference >on their live album. Actually, Jian made a slight mistake at this NYC show. He sang, "The statue MADE me high". I guess he just hasn't listened to that song enough ;) I would go to FruCon 2 if I had frequent flyer miles to pay for the flight. Guess I'll miss it just like I missed Frucon 1 since I was in England last year. Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199901150447.XAA28247@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:45:40 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Fruvous_covers_TMBG I forgot to mention in my last post that Moxy Fruvous did cover TMBG in Shoehorn with Teeth in their duet with Da Vinci's Notebook. Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199901150450.XAA28587@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:48:51 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG > From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com > Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:43:41 EST > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG > Reply-to: PULPSTRESS@aol.com > In a message dated 99-01-14 21:41:26 EST, sailormorningstar@juno.com writes: > > >>THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS: Idiosyncratic duo (accordinist John Linnell and > >> percussionist John Flansburgh) from Boston wowing U.S. college circuit > >> (as of 1992). Signed to Electrika Records, for which lable they've cut > >> four albums. > > > > What?! Boston? I am confused. > > Well..wouldn't you know it.. that's about the *only* thing that the article in > the book got right (even if they do now live in New York)! I don't know which > I find funnier... that they spelled the record label wrong or that they > actually think Flans is the percussionist. Well, technically this is not true. While both Johns are from the Boston area, the band was not formed until they both moved to New York and has been a New York entity, so I'd call them a New York band. Where they were born and raised doesn't necessarily have to do with the history of the band. -Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <6de7b900.369ec9af@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:53:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MTV totally hates TMBG In a message dated 99-01-14 23:50:38 EST, elrond@charm.net writes: << Where they were born and raised doesn't necessarily have to do with the history of the band. >> I couldn't agree with you more. I was just pointing out that in an article full of wrongness, they did actually get *something* right...even if not technically so. That's all I meant. jennifer np *empire state halo* echo& the bunnymen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <369EE4EC.1A93@maristb.marist.edu> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 01:49:16 -0500 From: Misty Subject: Mix Tapes (was Re: TMBG: re: Greatest Hits) Laura A Miller wrote: > I also want a TMBG mixed tape so I can listen to TMBG in my car. My > car doesn't have a CD player, just a cassette player. But now comes the > trouble of picking which ones are going to be on it and in which order. > ARRRRGH > > Laura Many's the time I've thought about making a TMBG mix tape. I've even started it on a couple of occassions, but, like you, I have no idea what order to put them in. I have a few things planned out, though. I'd put No One Knows My Plan and The End of the Tour together, due to the fact they were once-upon-a-time used as the opening and ending theme songs, respectively, for "Cartoon Planet." I'd put Istanbul and Particle Man together, due to their exposure on "Tiny Toons" (the show that introduced me to TMBG). I'd put Meet James Ensor (the Severe Tire Damage version) and James K. Polk (the Factory Showroom version, as that's the only one I have) together, due to their historical-ness. And I'd probably make Number Three as the third song on the tape. Aside from that, I'm lost. Occasionally I think of doing the tape in chronological album-to-album order, but that's not a great idea. And since so many of their songs are so to-die-for great, I'm sure I'd have to leave some excellent songs off the tape, and then I'd wind up second-guessing myself until TMBG comes out with a new album, at which point, I make a new mix tape. It's frustrating. Misty ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-15 ******************************