Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 2 Saturday, 2 January 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg shoutcast channel Re: TMBG: This American Life show now available TMBG: New York City Guitar Solo TMBG: Live concerts and other thoughts Re: TMBG: Live concerts and other thoughts TMBG:Tramps New Years Show! Non-TMBG: Kevin Meany TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: CD collecting TMBG: Re: New York City Guitar Solo TMBG: TMBG 9:30 Club review (long) Re: TMBG: Linnell babysitter Re: TMBG: vw bug commercial TMBG: CD Collections Re: TMBG: tmbg shoutcast channel Re: TMBG: Live concerts and other thoughts TMBG: "My CD Collection" or "Steve's Obsession With Listing Things" Non-TMBG: CDs!!! CDs!!! CDs!!! Re: Non-TMBG: CDs!!! CDs!!! CDs!!! Re: Non-TMBG: CDs!!! CDs!!! CDs!!! TMBG: tickets TMBG: Westerville Show TMBG: TMBG" mentioned in Newsday TMBG: Hotel detective CD TMBG: "Restawhile" Re: TMBG: Westerville Show TMBG: clever ideas TMBG: help! Re: TMBG: clever ideas Non-TMBG: CDs and 10 Speed Re: TMBG: Westerville Show NON-TMBG:SNMNMNM TMBG: CD collecting Re: Non-TMBG: CDs and 10 Speed Re: TMBG: CD collecting Re: TMBG: CD collecting TMBG: Tramps shows (very long) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:21:26 -0600 (CST) From: christ Message-Id: <199812312321.RAA07137@dfw.nationwide.net> Subject: TMBG: tmbg shoutcast channel hi, i'd love it if whoever is running the tmbg shoutcast channel would contact me--i'd like to offer a higher-quality relay for public consumption. (for folks who have no clue what it is i'm talking about, check out http://www.shoutcast.com for info on how anyone with winamp and an internet connection can broadcast mp3 on the net. there is at least one all tmbg all the time channel =) ) fortunately, even those of us not burdened with windows can listen...any stream-capable mp3 player can listen (the channel i'm listening to is hosted at 209.63.115.3:7000), including mpg123 under unix. i'll be out of town for the next few days, but i'll read email when i get back, so if anyone here is running the channel, or finds out who it is and can point them at my mailbox, i'd love to hear from the responsible party. thanks, -- McEscher: Good times, great taste, planar tesselations. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:05:31 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: This American Life show now available Message-ID: <19981231.182925.-442193.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com (Garrett M Liggett) >Hey, subject line said it: http://www.thislife.org has the show with >TMBG available thru RA. > Does anyone possibly have the actual RA file? I tried downloading the file itself but then a little screen popped up asking me for my login and password. I found the link but here's my problem: whenever I listen to RA it's always jumpy, plus I can't stay online for extended periods of time (all due to the total junk that is my computer). So I need to listen to RA things offline. Also, I wanna be able to keep it in my TMBG archives =) Thanks, Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:29:17 -0800 Subject: TMBG: New York City Guitar Solo Message-ID: <19981231.182925.-442193.1.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com (Garrett M Liggett) Hey everybody, I just wanted to contribute a little tab I worked out for the guitar solo at the end of New York City. I'm not sure how exact it is but I think it's right. I hope this comes out clearly. If it isn't clear and you still want to read it try pasting it over to notepad where it'll have the correct spacing. Here it is: e -----2-4-5-4-2-0-2-0-12-11-9----9---------------------- B -0-5-------------------------10---12-10-9-11----------- G ------------------------------------------------------- D ------------------------------------------------------- A ------------------------------------------------------- E ------------------------------------------------------- e ----------13-12-10------------------------------------- B -10-12-13----------13-10-11-13------------------------- G -------------------------------10-12-14-10-9-9-10-12--- D ------------------------------------------------------- A ------------------------------------------------------- E ------------------------------------------------------- e ------------------------------------------------------- B -------10---------------------------------------------- G -10-12----9-10-12-9-7-5-------------------------------- D ------------------------3-2-0-------------------------- A ------------------------------3-1---------------------- E ------------------------------------------------------- -Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:15:19 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Live concerts and other thoughts Message-ID: >Perhaps I'm asking to be flamed for saying this -- but am I the only >one who doesn't find TMBG's live shows to be that remarkable? >Don't get me wrong -- I have a lot of fun at them and always see '>em when they come near here, but...I dunno, it's kind of hard to >describe, but if you've ever seen a _really_ good live show and >compare it to TMBG...they just pale in comparison... Y'know, Adam, I think that depends on the specific TMBG show. (Granted, I've only seen three, but humor me here.) Two of them were, well, fun. I went and bopped and had a good time and went home. But just when I'd made up my mind that maybe TMBG just doesn't put on heart-stopping live shows, they came to San Francisco again and I got treated to an AMAZING show. Holy cow. What a great show that was. *shakes head in rememberance* I don't know if that was a fluke. In my book, anyway, Fruvous consistently gives better concerts. But I think that TMBG could more accurately be described as band that gives uneven concerts rather than mediocre ones. >-sarah mclachlan: surfacing Oh, is this a good one? I liked "Building a Mystery" so much (don't flame me, peoples; it's a darn cool song in my book) that I've been looking for something by her, but I can't find anything inexpensive. >hey does anybody know if or what SNMNMNM stands for 'cause i was looking for >their CDs but i couldn't find any of them Not to steal Jordan's (Official SNMNMNM Booster) thunder, but: SNMNMNM is the name of the band, not an abbreviation thereof. ('S', 'M', 'M', and 'M' are the initials of the band members. They are a college band from Rochester, and are unlikely to have CDs everywhere. Couldn't hurt to ask, though. --nicole twn ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 23:23:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Live concerts and other thoughts In a message dated 12/31/98 11:16:06 PM, nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu writes: >>-sarah mclachlan: surfacing > >Oh, is this a good one? I liked "Building a Mystery" so much (don't flame >me, peoples; it's a darn cool song in my book) that I've been looking for >something by her, but I can't find anything inexpensive. very good. :) i got it for christmas last year. sarah's so cool :) >>hey does anybody know if or what SNMNMNM stands for 'cause i was looking >for >>their CDs but i couldn't find any of them > >Not to steal Jordan's (Official SNMNMNM Booster) thunder, but: >SNMNMNM is the name of the band, not an abbreviation thereof. ('S', 'M', >'M', and 'M' are the initials of the band members. >They are a college band from Rochester, and are unlikely to have CDs >everywhere. Couldn't hurt to ask, though. yup.. i have their demo cd and i can make copies for anyone who wants em, just give me some tme.. i still have tapes of 'em to send out to some people.:) on a side note: i accidentally deleted my mail - *is* there a real audio recording of the npr program? email offlist to give me the url if there is... thanks!:) happy new year, tmbglist! sarah ------------------------------ From: LOADTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 00:47:59 EST Subject: TMBG:Tramps New Years Show! Hey everyone, First I would like to wish everyone a healthy and happy New Year!!!! :-) Well, I just got home a little while ago from the concert; it was reallllllllllyyyy great!!!! I mean excelent!! :) They sounded and looked great! They played around an hour and a half! (it was a little too loud at some points though) Here are most of the songs played if not all of them (not in order) : Mammal Till My Head Falls Off WDTSS? She's Actual Size Birdhouse In Your Soul Spy Shoehorn With Teeth Partical Man Older Finished With Lies James K. Polk Ana Ng Dr. Worm (first song) NYC (which They included Tramps with the other places mentioned) Nobody Knows My Plan S.E.X.X.Y Broom (sung by the audience) Twisting Subliminal They Got Lost She's An Angel To All The Girls I Loved Before (they picked a song they didn't know how to play) I was surprised that They didn't play Istanbul, that would have been great with the Velcro Horns! The opening act was alright (can't remember his name); he is from California and was very nice. There were a few bad parts of the show, 1) when I went to get a Happy New Year's shirt, they were sold out :( 2) I couldn't get a set list. :( 3) no confetti canyon :( For anyone interested, I was standing on Linnell's side in the front. I guess I should go now, if I remember anything else I will write tomorrow. LOADTMBG :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990101074853.15635.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non-TMBG: Kevin Meany Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 23:48:52 PST Hey, Does anyone out there have any scanned photos of Kevin Meany or know where I can get any? I've searched the web over, and I can't find a single pic. I need it for a page I'm adding to my web-site. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html ---I went to the the "Jack in the Box" one time, ordered myself a hamburger. The woman behind the counter asked me if I wanted any Jack Sauce on it. I said "Jack Sauce? Exactly what IS the Jack Sauce?" She tells me it's secret. I said "you can hold that Jack Sauce, no thanks!" A guy walk out from the back room, "I make the Jack Sauce!" Makin' the Jack Sauce, that's not right! One way or another you ARE gonna lose your eye-sight!--- -Taken from one of Kevin Meany's routines ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 03:15:01 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199901010815.DAA11263@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990101032053.007c2170@muc.muohio.edu> Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 03:20:53 -0500 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: CD collecting >I was wondering how many CDs you all own. It sounds like from the posts >that most of us here are really into music and like lots and lots of >groups in addition to TMBG. I get the impression that we're a bunch of >audiophiles, purchasing one CD after another. I'm not going to list all of my CDs, cassettes and records, but I will share the fact that I don't collect great varieties of music, but rather I focus on collecting all albums from an artist. Right now I am in serious danger of becoming a strong Frank Zappa fan (which will lead me to buying over 50 CDs - I only have 7 at the moment). So I'll list the most popular artists in my collection: The Residents: I have everything in print from them as well as some limited edition stuff (34 releases) The Beatles: some version (be it CD, vinyl or cassette) of every single release They Might Be Giants: every album, all Elektra singles minus the ones from Apollo 18 (also every Mono Puff CD) The Doors: every album Weird Al Yankovic: every album Laurie Anderson: everything but "Home Of The Brave" and "Ugly One With The Jewels" Grandma Gershwin Band: MP3s of all their albums downloaded from their website, someday to be replaced with proper CDs -Chris "wanting OnoBox for his birthday" Combs ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 01:46:31 -0800 Subject: TMBG: Re: New York City Guitar Solo Message-ID: <19990101.014734.-383665.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com (Garrett M Liggett) I knew this would happen, I haven't been part of the list long so I don't know whether people don't want me to throw this stuff out to people. Feel free to send me all the flames you want though. To the point though, in the solo I posted it is a little confusing and also messed up on the first part, here's a fix of the beginning: e -----2-4-5-4-2-0-2-0-12-11-9----9---------------------- B -0-5-------------------------10---12-10-9-------------- G ------------------------------------------11-9-11------ D ------------------------------------------------------- A ------------------------------------------------------- E ------------------------------------------------------- Yes I did have a sudden urge to come out from the darkness today but I'll be going back to my lurking now... later! -Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <368CFF5F.4A60@rica.net> Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 12:01:19 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: TMBG 9:30 Club review (long) I sent this a day or so ago but didn't see it in the digest so I'm re-mailing now. Please forgive if you've already gotten this once. Wow. One of the best shows I've ever seen by any band, but this ain't just any band... Got there just as they were letting people in, went up to coat check, decided to plant ourselves on the second floor. Kids no older than eight mixed with a smaterings of the Bob Dole crowd and a heaping helping of teenagers/college kids. Man Or Astro-Man? got on stage about 8:40 and rocked out. MOA-M? project old NASA/biology class-type footage onto a screen and satellite dish as they play their space surf-rock while bouncing around like popcorn in a nuclear reactor core. Amid multiple TV and computer screens the four spacemen run around and play guitars really loud. Bottle their energy, slap a buck price tag on it, money in the bank. Highlights include Drako, King of the Dragon Men, dancing in unison, and the bassist setting his helmet on fire and running back and forth across the stage. About 10ish, TMBG came on to hearty cheers. We were anticipating the horns ('cause mike stands were set up) and Velcroed they came. They opened with Finished With Lies (Dan Miller on keyboard) and kept going with accordion-featuring songs, slapping the horns on for Particle Man. Dan shifted to guitar mode second song and the show rambled on. The line-up was: Johns, Dan "The Machine" Levine, Dan Hickey, Dan Bassguy, Dan Miller, and Jim O'Connor. Highlights (I'm too tired to expand): technical difficulties with the bass amp = impov fun. Flans and Linnell going into Saphirre Bullets ("What song doesn't have a bass part?"). After Linnell sang (it's Flans on the album, right?) Flans said something to the effect of "I knew it was going to be good when John turned to me and asked "Do I sing this?" Apparently other stuff went wrong too as Flans mentioned a couple of times, but I couldn't pick 'um out. The horns rocked! Flans ran around sans guitar a lot when Dan Miller was on stage, and even when he wasn't. The first... third(?) of the show had a nice, laid back feel to it. No rush, just fooling around. Played PEt Name in total darkness on stage. Polished, but fun and improvy. The horns! Instead of Apes vs People, we got the Dans (4) vs the Johns (2) vs Jim (1). Due to sheer number, Jim won. Flans let the audience play his guitar, Linnell let them play his keyboard. So cool. Lots of accordiion. TMBG had tons of energy. Horns! Puppet heads! Confetti cannon! Three encores with New York City, a rocking Dr. Worm, Istanbul, Birdhouse, Spy, and NOKMP! They played until 12:10-12:15ish. Spent the first hour of the last day of 1998 with TMBG. That ain't a bad way to end the year. Setlist in no particular order: Finished With Lies Particle Man James Ensor The Famous Polka Older SEXXY James K. Polk Exquisite Dead GuyTwistin' Mammal Birdhouse She's Actual Size Dr. Worm Spy NOKMP New York City Saphire Bullets Spiiiiiiidddddddeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr! Guitar Whistling in the Dark Pet Name Santa Claus is Coming To Town Ana Ng They Got Lost WDTSS? She's an Angel Shoehorn and I'm sure I leaving something out... Must sleep now ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001701be35a9$9039ba00$23301004@oemcomputer> From: ".." Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell babysitter Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 20:58:56 -0500 He told me that her name is Rose -Joel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001a01be35a9$91ec9a20$23301004@oemcomputer> From: ".." Subject: Re: TMBG: vw bug commercial Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:09:37 -0500 it's Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space by Spiritualized :) Joel VISIT US ON DALNET AT #ALL-MP3Z http://allmp3z.cjb.net/ ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Sunday, December 27, 1998 2:16 PM Subject: TMBG: vw bug commercial >hi all >okay, i've got a question. i'm sure that many of you have seen that >volkswagon (sp?) new bug commercial -- the one that has a slow love song >playing, the lyrics go "...and i will love you till i die, and i will love >you all the time" (and then the commercial ends). here's my question: does >anybody know what band is singing? is it and old velvet underground song? it >sounds like lou reed singing and it does have a VU quality to it. >happy holidays. >david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199901011740.MAA24252@uceng.uc.edu> Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 12:41:23 -0500 From: Heather Garver Subject: TMBG: CD Collections Well, after lurking for quite a while, I've decided that this worthy topic deserved my attention. So, here's my CD/Tape/Record Collections. I didn't get a CD player until my freshman year of college(1995), so bear with me on that, and I still have a working record player. And remember that I'm including EVERYTHING, I'm not afraid to admit that I didn't always have good taste in music(well, at least there aren't any New Kids on the Block albums in here). (ST=self-titled album) Vinyl: 1. Beatles-Beatles '65 (all the beatles stuff on vinyl is the original, not a modern copy) 2. Beatles-Rubber Soul 3. Beatles-Magical Mystery Tour 4. Beatles-Yesterday and Today 5. Beatles- Hard Day's Night 6. The Cure- Concert Live 7. Pearl Jam- Vitalogy 8. R.E.M.- Monster 9. Sleep Chamber- Spellbondage 10. TMBG- (She was a )Hotel Detective EP 11. TMBG- Christmas Cards 12. U2- The Unforgettable Fire Tapes: 1. Ass Ponys-Electric Rock Music 2. Beck-Mellow Gold 3. Bjork-Debut 4. Buffalo Tom-Big Red Letter Day 5. Cracker- ST 6 Crash Test Dummies-God Shuffled His Feet 7 The Crow-Soundtrack 8 The Cranberries-No Need to Argue 9 Sheryl Crow-Tuesday Night Music Club 10 The Cure-Japanese Whispers 11. The Cure The Head on the Door 12. The Cure- Standing on a Beach/The Singles 13. The Cure- Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me 14 the Cure - Disintegration 15 the Cure - Mixed Up 16 The Cure - Wish 17 The Cure - Paris 18 The Cure - Show 19 Daisy Chainsaw - Eleventeen 20 The Dead Milkmen - Soul Rotation 21 Dead Can Dance - Into the Labrynth 22 Depeche Mode - Violator 23 Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion 24 EMF - Schubert Dip 25 The Fall - The Infotainment Scam 26 The Flaming Lips 27 Gin Blossoms- New Miserable Experience 28 Green Day - dookie 29 Hole- Live Through This 30 LemonHeads - Its a Shame about Ray 31 Less Than Jake- 3 song sampler(from Alternative Press) 32 Live -Throwing Copper 33 Meat Puppets - Too High To Die 34 Ministry - KEoANHO(don't have the greek characters) 35 Moby - Move EP 36 M.O.D- Surfin' M.O.D. 37 NIN - broken EP 38 NIN -the downward spiral 39 Nirvana- Bleach 40 Nirvana - Nevermind 41 Offspring - Smash 42 Pearl Jam - ten 43 Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville 44 Pixies - Surfer Rosa 45 Porno for Pyros - ST 46 Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese 47 Primus - Pork Soda 48 Rage Against the Machine - ST 49 Ramones - Loco Live 50 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mothers Milk 51 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic 52 R.E.M. -Out of Time 53 Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion 54 Sebadoh - III 55 Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols 56 Singles - Soundtrack 57 Skinny Puppy - Last Rights 58 Social Distortion - Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell 59 So I Married an Axe Murderer - Soundtrack 60 Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger 61 Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite 62 The Stone Roses - ST 63 The Stone Roses - Second Coming 64 Stone Temple Pilots - Core 65 Sugar - Copper Blue 66 Sugar - File Under Easy Listening 67 The Sundays - Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic 68 Teenage Fan Club - Bandwagonesque 69 Temple of the Dog - ST 70 The The - Infected 71 The The - Dusk 72 TMBG - Flood 73 Toad the Wet Sprocket - fear 74 U2 - Rattle and Hum 75 Urge Overkill - Saturation 76 Wayne's World - Soundtrack CD's: 1 Ambient- 152 minutes 33 seconds: A brief history of Ambient, Volume 1(2CD set) 2 Ash- Trailer 3 Ash - 1977 4 barenaked Ladies - Rock Spectacle 5 barenaked ladies - stunt 6 Beck - Odelay 7 Ben Folds Five - ST 8 Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen 9 ben Folds Five - Naked Baby Photos 10 Better than Ezra - Friction, Baby 11 Big Bad Voodoo Daddy -ST 12 Meredith Brooks - blurring the edges 13 Jeff Buckley - Grace 14 Jeff Buckley - Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk(2CD) 15 Jeff Buckley - Grace EP(Austrailian import) 16 Jeff Buckley - Eternal Life EP (Austrailian import) 17 Bush - Razorblade Suitcase 18 Butthole Surfers - Electriclarryland 19 Cake - Fashion Nugget 20 the Cardigans - first band on the Moon 21 Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot 22 Chopin - Works for Piano and orchestra 23 Chumbawamba - Tubthumper 24 City of Angels - Soundtrack 25 Counting Crows - recovering the sattelites 26 Counting Crows - Across a wire, Live in NY(I forgot to send in the BMG card) 27 the Cure - Wild Mood Swings 28 Crystal Method - Vegas 29 Dead can Dance- Toward the Within 30 Eels - Beautiful Freak 31 Enigma - Le Roi est Mort, vive le Roi 32 Hackers - Soundtrack 33 Hackers - Soundtrack 2 34 harvey Danger - Where have all the merrmakers Gone? 35 Billie Holiday - Billie's best 36 Natalie Imbruglia - Left of Middle 37 In to the Mix II -The second coming, Various artists(2CD) 38 KMFDM - (bang, skull, bomb, spiral, fist(the title is symbols)) 39 Kula Shaker - K 40 Leftfield - Leftism 41 Live - Secret Samadhi 42 Lost Highway - Soundtrack 43 Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing 44 Dave Matthews band - crash 45 The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Lets Face It 46 Moby - Everything is Wrong 47 monopuff - unsupervised 48 monopuff - Its Fun To Steal 49 Moxy Fruvous - Bargainville 50 Moxy Fruvous - Live Noise 51 NIN - Pretty Hate Machine 52 Orb - ORBVS TERRARVM 53 Orb - the orb's adventures beyond the underworld(2CD) 54 Orb - Orblivion 55 the Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation 56 Radiohead - OK Computer 57 Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire 58 the Refreshments - Fizzy fuzzy big and buzzy 59 R.E.M. Automatic for the People 60 Romeo & juliet - soundtrack 61 Rusted Root - When I Woke 62 Schroeder's Greatest Hits-piano music 63 Sebadoh - harmacy 64 duncan Sheik - ST 65 Skinny Puppy - the process 66 Smashmouth - Fush Yu Mang 67 Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash 68 Soul Coughing - Irresistible Bliss 69 Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash and no Star 70 TMBG - ST 71 TMBG - Lincoln 72 TMBG - Apollo 18 73 TMBG - John Henry 74 TMBG - Then 75 TMBG - STD 76 TMBG - Why Does the Sun Shine EP 77 TMBG - Back to Skull EP 78 The Wallflowers - Bringing down the Horse 79 Weezer - ST 80 The Beatles - Anthology 1 81 The Beatles - Anthology 2 82 The Beatles - Anthology 3 83 The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band So there you have it, my musical collection minus the numerous CD's/tapes I've dubbed from friends and the collection of old 45's that used to be my dad's. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <368D0C09.F4B1D74E@weirdness.com> Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 10:55:21 -0700 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg shoutcast channel Um, that'd be me. Let me know what you had in mind.... As a public note, I'm not sure if anyone off this list has found this server, but it's turned out to be rather popular; I'm quite pleased. Thanks for your support! Once again, the best way to listen is to install the latest WinAmp (2.06 as of yesterday), choose "Open Location" (right-click on the eject button or hit Ctrl-L), and type in "http://209.63.115.3:7000". Voila, instant TMBG! christ wrote: > > hi, > > i'd love it if whoever is running the tmbg shoutcast channel would contact > me--i'd like to offer a higher-quality relay for public consumption. > > (for folks who have no clue what it is i'm talking about, check out > http://www.shoutcast.com for info on how anyone with winamp and an > internet connection can broadcast mp3 on the net. there is at least one > all tmbg all the time channel =) ) > > fortunately, even those of us not burdened with windows can listen...any > stream-capable mp3 player can listen (the channel i'm listening to is > hosted at 209.63.115.3:7000), including mpg123 under unix. > > i'll be out of town for the next few days, but i'll read email when i get > back, so if anyone here is running the channel, or finds out who it is and > can point them at my mailbox, i'd love to hear from the responsible party. > > thanks, > -- > McEscher: Good times, great taste, planar tesselations. -- Chris Nuccitelli -- http://chris.vsnet.com/ -- ICQ# 1124216 "Now, witness the power of this fully operational tagline!" ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:25:43 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Live concerts and other thoughts Message-ID: <19990101.112546.17222.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Not to steal Jordan's (Official SNMNMNM Booster) thunder, wha?! talk to sarah! :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::if i hear that freekin' prince song one more time::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 15:17:57 -0500 Subject: TMBG: "My CD Collection" or "Steve's Obsession With Listing Things" Message-ID: <19990101.151813.13446.4.Cambot@juno.com> Well, I've got some spare time, so I thought all of you good people would appreciate if I would take up some space on the TMBG List & post my entire CD collection. The ones with (*) next to them mean that they are often in my CD player: 1) 2 Skinee J's - SUPERmercado * 2) A3 - Exile on Coldharbour Lane 3) A3 - Remix Bonus CD 4) Alcohol Funnycar - Time to Make the Donuts 5) The Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker * 6) Austin Powers soundtrack 7) The B-52's - Good Stuff 8) Barenaked Ladies - Gordon 9) Barenaked Ladies - Shoebox EP 10) Barenaked Ladies - Stunt 11) The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band * 12) Beck - Loser EP 13) Beck - Mellow Gold * 14) Beck - Stereopathetic Soul Manure 15) Beck - One Foot in the Grave 16) Beck - Odelay * 17) Beck - Mutations * 18) Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five 19) Ben Folds Five - Mix Tape's a Masterpiece (promo CD) 20) Ben Folds Five - Whatever & Ever Amen * 21) Ben Folds Five - Battle of Who Could Care Less (import #1) 22) Ben Folds Five - Battle of Who Could Care Less (import #2) 23) Ben Folds Five - One Angry Dwarf & 200 Solemn Faces EP (Japanese import) 24) Ben Folds Five - Brick (import #1) 25) Ben Folds Five - Brick (Australian import) 26) Ben Folds Five - Song for the Dumped (radio promo) 27) Ben Folds Five - Naked Baby Photos 28) Bernie Bernie Headflap - Cheese on Wheat * 29) Bus Stop - Bus Stop 30) Candy Butchers - Live at La Bon Bonierre 31) Chairman of the Board soundtrack (Man or Astro-Man?, Hillbilly Soul Surfers) 32) Circus McGurkis - Circus McGurkis * 33) The Dead Milkmen - Death Rides a Pale Cow * 34) Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen * 35) Fear of Pop - Volume I * 36) Five for Fighting - Message for Albert 37) Fluid Ounces - Big Notebook for Easy Piano * 38) Fountains of Wayne - Fountains of Wayne * 39) Gladhands - La Di Da 40) G. Love & Special Sauce - s/t 41) Harvey Danger - Where Have All the Merrimakers Gone? 42) Ivy - Apartment Life 43) Jimmy Eat World - Static Prevails * 44) Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy soundtrack * 45) Sean Lennon - Into the Sun 46) Lincoln - Lincoln * 47) Lounge-a-Palooza comp. 48) Man or Astro-man? - Is it... Man or Astro-Man? 49) Man or Astro-Man? - Destroy All Astro-Men!! * 50) Man or Astro-Man? - Project Infinity 51) Man or Astro-Man? - What Remains Inside a Black Hole 52) Man or Astro-Man? - Deluxe Men in Space 53) Man or Astro-Man? - 1000X * 54) Man or Astro-Man? - Made from Technetium * 55) Bob & Doug McKenzie - Great White North 56) Bruce McCulloch - Shame-Based Man * 57) Mono Puff - Unsupervised 58) Mono Puff - It's Fun to Steal * 59) Moxy Fruvous - Bargainville 60) Moxy Fruvous - Wood 61) Moxy Fruvous - b 62) Moxy Fruvous - You Will Go to the Moon * 63) Moxy Fruvous - Live Noise 64) MTV 120 Minutes Live comp. (TMBG, Radiohead, Weezer, Violent Femmes) 65) MST3K - Clowns in the Sky 66) Pee-Wee's Big Adventure soundtrack (Danny Elfman) 67) Phantom Planet - Is Missing 68) Portastatic - Scrapbook EP 69) PUSA - PUSA 70) PUSA - II 71) Radiohead - Pablo Honey * 72) Radiohead - My Iron Lung EP 73) Radiohead - The Bends * 74) Radiohead - OK Computer * 75) Radiohead - Airbag / How Am I Driving? EP 76) Radiohead - No Suprises (import#1) 77) Radiohead - Unplugged (bootleg) 78) The Rutles - Archaeology 79) Adam Sandler - Bleeps (in-store promo) 80) Adam Sandler - What the Hell Happened to Me? 81) Semisonic - Great Divide * 82) Semisonic - F.N.T. (radio promo) 83) Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine * 84) Semisonic - Singing in My Sleep EP 85) Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Savvy Show Stoppers 86) Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Sport Fishin' * 87) Michael Shelly - Too Many Movies * 88) The Simpsons - Sing the Blues 89) The Simpsons - Songs in the Key of Springfield 90) Skeleton Key - Fantastic Spikes Through Balloon 91) Sloan - Peppermint EP 92) Sloan - Twice Removed * 93) Sloan - One Chord to Another * 94) Sloan - Navy Blues * 95) The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & the Infinate Sadness 96) Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom * 97) Soul Coughing - Irresistable Bliss 98) Soul Coughing - El Oso * 99) Southern Culture on the Skids - Shot Gun! (radio promo) 100) Stereolab - Dots & Loops * 101) The Sugarplastic - Bang, the Earth is Round 102) Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary * 103) Sunny Day Real Estate - LP2 * 104) Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels to be Something On 105) Superdrag - Head Trip in Every Key 106) The Superfriendz - Sticktoitiveness * 107) Matthew Sweet - 100% Fun * 108) Matthew Sweet - Best Buy rarities promo 109) Teleconned Vol.1 comp. (BFF, Soul Coughing) 110) TMBG - Flood * 111) TMBG - Istanbul EP 112) TMBG - Miscellaneous T 113) TMBG - Apollo 18 * 114) TMBG - Why Does the Sun Shine? EP 115) TMBG - Back to Skull EP 116) TMBG - John Henry * 117) TMBG - Snail Shell (radio promo) 118) TMBG - Live in NYC * (radio promo) 119) TMBG - Factory Showroom * 120) TMBG - S~E~X~X~Y EP 121) TMBG - Then: The Earlier Years * 122) TMBG - Selections from Then (instore promo) 123) TMBG - Severe Tire Damage * 124) TMBG - Superfueled Freaksicle (bootleg) 125) TMBG - Julie at the Station (bootleg) 126) Travis - Good Feeling * 127) Ween - The Mollusk 128) Weezer - Weezer * 129) Weezer - Undone - the Sweater Song (import) 130) Weezer - Buddy Holly (import) 131) Weezer - Pinkerton * 132) Weird Al Yankovic - Amish Paradise EP 133) Weird Al Yankovic - Gump EP 134) We Might Be Giants, Too! comp. Well, that's it. G'bye! Cheers Steve! PS, Anyone else heard of Bernie Bernie Headflap? They're from Philly & are on Creep Records, but I can't seem to find any other info on them. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19990101155134.007ab100@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 15:51:34 -0500 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Non-TMBG: CDs!!! CDs!!! CDs!!! I'm sorry to bug the shit out of everyone, but I'm just so damn proud of my cds. Agents of Good Roots Where'd Ya Get that Vibe? Agents of Good Roots Straightaround Agents of Good Roots One By One Barenaked Ladies Gordon Barenaked Ladies Maybe You Should Drive Barenaked Ladies Rock Spectacle Barenaked Ladies Stunt Ben Folds Five Ben Folds Five* Ben Folds Five Whatever and Ever Amen* Ben Folds Five Naked Baby Pictures* Black Crowes Shake Your Money Maker Black Crowes Amorica Black Crowes The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion Black Crowes Three Snakes and One Charm Bloodhound Gang Use Your Fingers Bloodhound Gang One Fierce Beer Coaster Buck-O-Nine Songs in the Key of Bree Buck-O-Nine Barfly Buck-O-Nine Twenty-Eight Teeth Cashmere Jungle Lords Southern Barber Supply Cowboy Mouth Are You With Me? Cracker Cracker Cracker Kerosene Hat Cracker The Golden Age Cracker Gentleman's Blues CCR Greatest Hits Cunninghams Zeroed Out Dire Straits Sultans of Swing (Greatest Hits) Eels Beautiful Freak Eels Electro-shock Blues Everclear World Of Noise Everclear Sparkle and Fade Everclear So Much For the Afterglow Fastball Make Your Mama Proud Fastball All The Pain Money Can Buy Fear of Pop Volume 1 Fighting Gravity Forever=1 Day Five For Fighting Message for Albert G. Love and Special Sauce G. Love and Special Sauce G. Love and Special Sauce Coast to Coast Motel G. Love and Special Sauce Yeah, it's that easy Goldfinger Goldfinger Goldfinger Hangups* Harvey Danger Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? Led Zeppelin One Led Zeppelin Two Led Zeppelin Three Led Zeppelin Zoso Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti Led Zeppelin In Through the Out Door Led Zeppelin Coda Less Than Jake Pezcore Less Than Jake Losers, Kings, and other things we don't understand Less Than Jake Losing Streak Less Than Jake Greased Less Than Jake Hello Rockview Live Mental Jewelry Live Throwing Copper Live Secret Samadhi Lynryd Skynrd Skynrd's Innyrds Mighty Mighty Bosstones Let's Face It Mr. T Experience Big Black Bugs Bleed Blue Blood Mr. T Experience Our Bodies Our Selves Mr. T Experience Revenge is Sweet, and So are you Moxy Fruvous Live Noise MxPx Life In General New Radicals Maybe You've Been Brainwashed, Too Pearl Jam Ten Pearl Jam Vs. Pearl Jam Vitalogy Pearl Jam No Code Pearl Jam Yield Liz Phair Exile in Guyville Liz Phair Whip-Smart Phish A Picture of Nectar Phish Lawn Boy Phish Rift Phish Hoist Phish A Live One Phish Billy Breathes Phish The Story of the Ghost Refreshments Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy Refreshments The Bottle and Fresh Horses Skankin' Pickle Sing Along with Skankin Pickle Skankin' Pickle The Green Album Skankin' Pickle Skankin' Pickle Fever Smashing Pumpkins Gish Smashing Pumpkins Pisces Iscariot Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream* Soul Coughing Ruby Vroom Soul Coughing Irresistible Bliss Space Hog Resident Alien Space Hog The Chinese Album They Might Be Giants They Might Be Giants* They Might Be Giants Flood They Might Be Giants Apollo 18* They Might Be Giants John Henry* They Might Be Giants Then: The Early Years* They Might Be Giants Factory Showroom* They Might Be Giants Severe Tire* Damage Tom Petty & Heartbreakers Greatest Hits Voodoo Glow Skulls Baile los Locos Voodoo Glow Skulls The Band Geek Mafia Weezer Weezer* Weezer Pinkerton Widespread Panic Space Wrangler Widespread Panic Widespread Panic Widespread Panic Light Fuse Get Away All those number 112 and growing. I plan on completing all those bands listed above except for the ones I have the greatest hits for, cowboy mouth, fighting gravity, five for fighting, mighty mighty bosstones, mxpx, and liz phair, since I wasn't really impressed with the albums I got except for exile from guyville which is great. The way I arrange my cds is apparently extremely weird because my friends always look at me weird when I have to explain it to them. Well, I have all the cd cases on a rack in my room, arranged alphabetically for the time being with space alotted for cds I plan on getting. I keep all the actual cds in those binders arranged in random order. Then I just listen all the way through all my cds at one time. I call it my "rotation." I do it to help reduce the mental strain of actually thinking of what I want to listen to next. Also, it helps to keep from "killing" a cd by overplaying it. sometimes I break loose of the rotation and just go wild listening to whichever cd I feel like, but usually that feeling subsides soon enough. Sorry again for general non-tmbgness and self-centeredness of this post. Ben Take a Gander, part 2 http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/lights/5364 ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <68c6b22.368d3662@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 15:56:02 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: CDs!!! CDs!!! CDs!!! In a message dated 99-01-01 15:50:12 EST, benshaw@mindspring.com writes: << I'm sorry to bug the shit out of everyone, but I'm just so damn proud of my cds. >> A lot of consistancy within these CD lists (heh, yeah, all two of 'em ;).. I'd list all of mine, but I haven't got the time (actually, the patience..I do have the time) to do it. But I can list some of the bands I've got in it....... Ash Barenaked Ladies Belle & Sebastian Bluetones Blur David Bowie Cast Catatonia Catherine Wheel Connells Corky & the Juicepigs Cure ack.. I have too many I can't remember them all! But if you want to know what British bands I have on CD, you can see that list at http://members.aol.com/pulpstress/disco.html jennifer ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <51197078.368d3b3f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 16:16:47 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: CDs!!! CDs!!! CDs!!! odd. i sent this email to the list a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to have .. gone through. shrug. well, you asked for it. bear in mind that i am Jay, and in being Jay things get a little strange. the following is in no order whatsoever. 1. simon and garfunkel: collected works (2 cd) 2. simon and garfunkel: bridge over troubled water 3. simon and garfunkel: bookends 4. earl klugh: the best of earl klugh 5. yes: union 6. yes: big generator 7. yes: fragile 8. yes: tales from topographic oceans (2 cd) 9. rush: roll the bones 10. rush: presto 11. steve vai: passion and warfare 12. steve vai: sex and religion 13. harry chapin: greatest stories live 14. harry chapin: heads and tales 15. harry chapin: sequel 16. harry chapin: collected works (2 cd) 17. harry chapin: verities and balderdash 18. harry chapin: remember when the music 19. harry chapin: living room suite 20. enya: watermark 21. enya: the celts 22. enya: shephard moon 23. led zeppelin 2 24. led zeppelin 4 25. led zeppelin: in through the out door 26. led zeppelin: houses of the holy 27. dave matthews band: under the table and dreaming 28. dave matthews band: crash 29. dave matthews band: live at red rocks 30. steve howe: not necessarily acoustic 31. christopher parkening: simple gifts 32. christopher parkening: parkening plays vivaldi 33. 100 masterpieces of classical music (10 cd) 34. eric clapton: unplugged 35. reel big fish: turn the radio off (not sure how this got in my collection) 36. no doubt: tragic kingdom (i believe a gift i never bothered to return) 37. selections from tchaikovsky's "the nutcracker" 38. the mormon tabernacle choir christmas carols 39. queensryche: empire 40. van halen 1 41. van halen 2 42. van halen: diver down 43. van halen: ou812 44. van halen: 5150 45. van halen: balance 46. van halen: women and children first 47. van halen: best of 48. selections from mozart's "le nozze di figaro" 49. pearl jam: ten 50. pearj jam: vitalogy 51. cats: original london cast recording 52. barenaked ladies: rock spectacle 53. pink floyd: the wall (2 cd) 54. pink floyd: a momentary lapse of reason 55. stone temple pilots: core 56. stone temple pilots 57. weird al yancovic: bad hair day 58. albinoni/adagio, pachelbel/canon 59. selections from gounod's faust 60. the beatles: sgt pepper's lonely hearts club band 61. the beatles: past masters 1 62. the beatles: past masters 2 63. mono puff: it's fun to steal 64. they might be giants 65. they might be giants: lincoln 66. they might be giants: flood 67. they might be giants: apollo 18 68. they might be giants: john henry 69. they might be giants: factory showroom 70. they might be giants: then (2 cd) 71. they might be giants: severe tire damage 72. they might be giants: why does the sun shine there's more, but i'm afraid that's all i have the gumption to write down at the moment: i probably have but a hundred total, all of that odd mix of folk rock, classic rock, big hair rock, progressive rock, pop, and classical that i find so charming. you may not think so. ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ From: ALVINCO@webtv.net (Todd Durbin) Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:21:10 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: tickets Message-ID: <2588-368D4A56-2897@mailtod-102.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-646158901-1536 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Where can I get tickets for the upcoming show at the Rike Center on Jan. 29 in Westerville, Ohio.? Is it possible to buy them online ? Can you help me or direct me to where I need to go ? If so that would be great!! Thank's Thanx Again, Todd A. Durbin --WebTV-Mail-646158901-1536 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Got SPAM?
If you don't want your SPAM just Click on the tin above! --WebTV-Mail-646158901-1536-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990101233352.4015.rocketmail@send202.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 15:33:52 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: TMBG: Westerville Show Hello All, I was just wondering who else is going to the TMBG show on the 29th. My friend and I are probably going to go, and we want to see if anyone wants to meet up with us. == ~Connie~ "If they only went on a three hour tour, why did the cast of 'Gilligan's Island' have so many clothes?" _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:39:28 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG" mentioned in Newsday In yesterdays New York Newsday, they have a little thing about the TMBG shows. Look how stupid THIS is-- HOT BAND: Who: They Might Be Giants WHY: Why not? It's New Years Eve, a wonderful time of year to catch John Flansburgh and John Linnell doing their goofy, endearing schtick at Tramps. The lads will likely be performing a few dozen of their greatest hits, perhaps even "Youth Culture Killed My Dog" so bring your lyric sheets. There is a cool picture with it though...its the same field, etc as the info club poster, except Flans is standing in front with his guitar and Linnell is in the background with the accordion. Jordan ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 19:35:49 EST Subject: TMBG: Hotel detective CD Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the (She Was A) Hotel Detective CD? If so, please e-mail me. Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01be35e9$16cc6a60$03000004@mr.-guyet> From: "Paul Guyet" Subject: TMBG: "Restawhile" Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 19:43:51 -0500 I have come across a live recording of a TMBG song entitled, "Restawhile". It is the on-line Dial A Song with three more verses. I cannot make out the verses after the first one. If you happen to have ANY info on the rest of the lyrics, please E-mail me. Thank you. Paul M.D.G. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 19:49:35 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Westerville Show Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Jan-99 TMBG: Westerville Show by Happy Cow@yahoo.com > I was just wondering who else is going to the TMBG show on the 29th. > My friend and I are probably going to go, and we want to see if anyone > wants to meet up with us. if it's open to the public, I'll be there... (kind of sort of on my way to Ann Arbor for Moxy Fruvous on the 30th) does anyone know if it is open to the public or if I shouldn't waste three hours driving there to find out? Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990102011010.22917.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Miss Karen" Subject: TMBG: clever ideas Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 17:10:09 PST I work in the production department of this really cool national magazine called POPsmear (www.popsmear.com--but be warned: 18+) and one of my goals for 1999 is to get TMBG in there. The thing is that I would need to come up with something clever so that the editor will okay it because we don't really do conventional interviews with bands. Like in the current issue, we had Sloan come in to the office for an air hockey tournament against some of the staff (we have a game room). I didn't hear about it until way afterwards when it came up while I was in a meeting with the editor ("Oh, you've heard of them?" he asked. Aagh!!!!) As consolation, he gave me their 4x4 sampler CD from Navy Blues autographed. In the past, we had a bowling contest with Muckaferguson, a pool contest with Letters to Cleo (those bands I haven't heard of.) I don't think my goal is unrealistic. The problem is, I don't have any clever ideas so help me please!!! Thanks, Karen ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <4520ea81.368d727a@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:12:26 EST Subject: TMBG: help! I'm in a lot of trouble now. This is my first post, so go ahead and email me instead of going for the whole group because this a really good question I'm asking. Okay, I owned Flood, JH, and STD until a few days ago. I bought A18, Factory, and Misc. T. Since then, I have not been able to listen to any other music. When I get on my computer, I go straight to look for TMBG stuff on the internet. When I get off of the computer, the songs in my head always are TMBG. I can't even listen to anything anymore. I found myself a few moments ago reading set lists from old shows and then I realized I had a problem. I loved TMBG before, but I don't know why now I am getting obsessed! This is horrible ... what will I do when school starts on Monday? Will I just have to bring my discman with me to school and risk it? Or wane off and stop cracking up? BTW, TMBG has always been infectious, cuz my friends spread it to me, but I think I've got a TMBG-STD! And it itches. Really badly. -Samantha ICQ: 9859165 "Dinner bell dinner bell, do the bell thing/I'm waiting for the dinner bell to do the bell thing/Dinner bell dinner bell, ding ding ding!" - Dinner Bell P.S. I really am going insane. During that song a second ago, I swear in the last 10 seconds, I heard a bell ring. I am not clinically insane! Hah! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:13:28 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: clever ideas In a message dated 1/1/99 8:11:37 PM, girlfromvenus@hotmail.com writes: >I work in the production department of this really cool national >magazine called POPsmear (www.popsmear.com--but be warned: 18+) and one > >of my goals for 1999 is to get TMBG in there. The thing is that I would > >need to come up with something clever so that the editor will okay it >because we don't really do conventional interviews with bands. > >Like in the current issue, we had Sloan come in to the office for an air > >hockey tournament against some of the staff (we have a game room). I >didn't hear about it until way afterwards when it came up while I was in > >a meeting with the editor ("Oh, you've heard of them?" he asked. >Aagh!!!!) As consolation, he gave me their 4x4 sampler CD from Navy >Blues autographed. > lol, sloan's slowly creeping up on this list eh? wonder how long till they just ..explode in the states.. hm.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990102013437.23825.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:34:37 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Non-TMBG: CDs and 10 Speed Sigh....I didn't want to do this, but I'm INCREDIBLY bored today, so here are all of my CDs (in alphabetical order)... Aladdin Movie Soundtrack All-4-One All-4-One American Eagle The Black Top Sessions Fiona Apple Tidal Aquabats The Fury of the Aquabats Barenaked Ladies Rock Spectacle Barenaked Ladies Stunt Bean Movie Soundtrack Beavis And Butthead Movie Soundtrack Blues Traveler Blues Traveler Blues Traveler Four Blessid Union of Souls Home Boyz II Men Cooleyhighharmony Boyz II Men II Boyz II Men Christmas Interpretations Boyz II Men The Remix Collection Buck-O-Nine Twenty-Eight Teeth Cable Guy Movie Soundtrack Cherry Poppin' Daddies Zoot Suit Riot Counting Crows August and Everything After The Cranberries No Need To Argue Cheryl Crow Tuesday Night Music Club Dance Hall Crashers Honey, I'm Homely Ani DiFranco Little Plastic Castle Foo Fighters The Colour and the Shape Green Day Nimrod Vince Geuraldi A Charlie Brown Christmas Harvey Danger WHATMG? Hootie & the Blowfish Cracked Rear View Hootie & the Blowfish Fairweather Johnson Janet Jackson Design of a Decade Michael Jackson History Jamiroquai Traveling Without Moving Jars of Clay Jars of Clay Jesus Christ Superstar Soundtrack Jewel Pieces of You Kermit the Frog UnPigged The Lion King Movie Soundtrack Madonna Ray of Light Wynton & Ellis Marsalis Joe Cool's Blues Matchbox 20 Yourself orSomeone Like You Mr. Holland's Opus Movie Soundtrack Dave Matthews Band Remember Two Things Dave Matthews Band Recently (EP) Dave Matthews Band Under the Table & Dreaming Dave Matthews Band Crash Dave Matthews Band Live At Red Rocks Dave Matthews Band Before These Crowded Street Dave Matthews Band Don't Drink the Water (EP) Alanis Morrisette Jagged Little Pill Moxy Fruvous Bargainville Moxy Fruvous Live Noise Mono Puff Unsupervised Mono Puff It's Fun to Steal Mozart Hi-Ho Mozart Mozart Mozart for Monday Mornings No Doubt Tragic Kingdom Joan Osborne Relish Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack Phantom of the Opera Hilights Planet Hollywood Some CD I got for free PUSA PUSA R.E.M. Automatic for the People R.E.M. Monster R.E.M. New Adventures in Hi-Fi R.E.M. Up Rembrandts LP Ren & Stimpy You Eediot! Save Ferris It Means Everything Jon Secada Heart, Soul, & a Voice Michael Shelley Too Many Movies Smash Mouth Fush Yu Mang Soul Coughing Irresistable Bliss Soul Coughing El Oso Space Ghost Misical B-B-Q Space Ghost Surf and Turf Squirrel Nut Zippers Perinneal Favorites Sweet Relief II The Songs of Vic Chestnut Television's Gratesst Hits Cable Ready They Might Be Giants They Might Be Giants They Might Be Giants Lincoln They Might Be Giants Flood They Might Be Giants Misc. T They Might Be Giants Apollo 18 They Might Be Giants WDTSS? (EP) They Might Be Giants John Henry They Might Be Giants Factory Showroom They Might Be Giants Severe Tire Damage They Might Be Giants Then: The Earlier Years 311 311 TLC CrazySexyCool Trio Da Da Da Us3 Hand on the Torch The Village People Live & Sleazy The Wallflowers Bringing Down the Horse Weezer Weezer Weird Al Yankovic Bad Hair Day Well, there you have it. That's 97 (I think)... I have lots of tapes too, but I really don't want to list them now. One more thing. Has ever heard of the band 10 Speed? I just got a sampler casette from my friend and they're pretty cool! Does anyone know if they have a CD out yet? Thanks! == ~Connie~ "Ever tried to eat smoked turkey, whipped cream, and diced tomatoes all at the same time? No? Oh...um, me niether...." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990102013855.24937.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:38:55 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Re: TMBG: Westerville Show Yeah, I think the show's open to the public. At least, I hope so, because I live 3 hours away! >(kind of sort of on my way to Ann Arbor for Moxy >Fruvous on the 30th) I thiught the MF show on the 30th eas in Dayton, OH!!! == ~Connie~ "Ever tried to eat smoked turkey, whipped cream, and diced tomatoes all at the same time? No? Oh...um, me niether...." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <2d56c837.368d7966@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:41:58 EST Subject: NON-TMBG:SNMNMNM Someone said SNMNMNM had a dial a songish thing, I lost the number and not even my genie can find it, could someone tell me it again? Jeff "Glitter in you Gruel" Craig ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990102020723.14760.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: TMBG: CD collecting Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 20:07:22 CST Personally, I own about 360 CDs, give or take a dozen. My list is similar to some of the others, except I'm minus the BNL, the Sarah McLachlan, and some others. I have more Bjork, Stereolab, Esquivel, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Juliana Hatfield, and Smashing Pumpkins. I won't bore you with the complete list. I do think it is interesting that CD Universe lists that people who buy TMBG tend to also buy: Pearl Jam, Capercaille, Radiohead, Sublime (Punk), Live, Sarah McLachlan, Pixies, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ventures, Cake, Wierd Al Yankovic, Soundgarden, 311, Beatles, The Beavis and Butthead Do America Soundtrack, Dave Matthews, Bad Religion, Echo and the Bunnymen, and Metallica. According to their unofficial demographic, TMBG listeners tend to be into some harder stuff (Metallica, 311, Soundgarden) while remaining quirky (Wierd Al). What do you all think? Bjorky P.S. does anyone know who Capercaille or the Ventures are? I've never heard of either. Bjorky also maintains a list of CDs to buy in the future when he obtains money that runs with about another 400 CDs. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 21:08:02 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: CDs and 10 Speed Message-ID: <19990101.210806.8622.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Oh, what the hell? Why not add my collection to the list. Devo Devo's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 John Linnell State Songs John Linnell House Of Mayors Lincoln Lincoln Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie Soundtrack Mighty Morphin Power Rangers the Album Mono Puff Unsupervised Mono Puff The Devil went Down To Newport Mono Puff It's Fun To Steal They Might Be Giants They Might Be Giants They Might Be Giants Lincoln They Might Be Giants Flood They Might Be Giants Miscellaneous T. They Might Be Giants Apollo 18 They Might Be Giants John Henry They Might Be Giants Factory Showroom They Might Be Giants Then: The Earlier Years They Might Be Giants Severe Tire Damage They Might Be Giants Don't Let's Start They Might Be Giants They'll Need A Crane They Might Be Giants Istanbul (Not Constantinople) They Might Be Giants The Statue Got Me High They Might Be Giants I Palindrome I They Might Be Giants The Guitar They Might Be Giants Why Does the Sun Shine? They Might Be Giants Back To Skull They Might Be Giants S-E-X-X-Y They Might Be Giants Birdhouse In Your Soul (Promo) They Might Be Giants Twisting (Promo) They Might Be Giants Snail Shell (Promo) They Might Be Giants AKA Driver (Promo) They Might Be Giants S-E-X-X-Y (Promo) Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie Movie Soundtrack So, does anyone notice a psychotic obsession hidden in there? Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <9fb606ad.368d8077@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 21:12:07 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: CD collecting The ventures I believe are a surf group from the fifties the founders of surf Jeff "Ha Ha Ho Ho Hee Hee' Craig ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19990101214359.007ea5b0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 21:43:59 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: CD collecting At 09:12 PM 1/1/99 EST, ErgoTM@aol.com wrote: > The ventures I believe are a surf group from the fifties the founders of surf No, Dick Dale is the guy who started surf, but the Ventures were (or are? didn't they reunite?) definitely one of the most popular surf bands ever, most famous for "Walk Don't Run". -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 22:02:18 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Tramps shows (very long) Ok, so I just got back from New York and on my way I was wondering "Gee, is it really worth it to keep spending all this time and money going places for shows if they aren't really doing anything that differs from their regular show that they've been doing for the past year?" The answer is, of course, yes, because they *might* do something interesting and different. I'll put up the setlists and the highlights and my own experiences for you all to ignore now. :) first show: auld lang syne (instrumental/show intro) / worm / finished / polka / working undercover / angel / particle / older / bird / sun / shoe / "NAMES" (battle for TMBG) / "somebody took my eye" / ana / broom / spy / mammal / s-e-x-x-y / to all the girls I've loved before / no one / twisting / subliminal / actual / lost / auld lang syne (reprise!/band intros) / nyc // guitar / polk / til / dig having heard a tape of their 1995 Tramps New year's show, I was really surprised to hear them making such a big deal about it during the first show. The early show three years ago was just a regular old show... highlights of this one were.... Linnell bursting into Broom about 5 songs before it appeared on the setlist, and Flans giving him a weird look as the audience sang the broom parts. Ana Ng was on the setlist twice, and Flans commented on this and they played "To All the Girls I've Loved Before" instead of doing Ana Ng again. Flans said he wanted to do a song that "we don't know how to play." and there were many shouts from the audience for obscure b-sides and things like that. they did No One Knows My Plan by request, and instead of doing Sapphire Bullets, which was listed as the first song of the encore on the setlist, they did The Guitar, with an unusual intro - Flans and Dan Miller came out and Flans did the bass line while Dan played the chords. Then everyone else came out and they played the song ("Is it Dan? I don't think so!") then we all got herded outside into the freezing cold to wait for the second show. we didn't have to wait that long, fortunately. the second show was split into two parts - the good part and the "we've lost all our energy and so has the audience" part. setlist: guitar -> auld lang syne -> guitar / spiral / til / racist / particle / spider / don't / pet name / lost / nyc (MINI SET!) istanbul / polka / actual / (some Linnell vocoder improv) / Ana Ng / Ensor / angel / s-e-x-x-y / shoe / turn / spy / finished / twisting / no one // intros / worm // (unknown?) / bird / dig first of all, they came out a little late and started The Guitar in the same way they did in the first show. Flans stopped Dan halfway through his bass solo and looked at his watch, announcing that there were only 25 seconds left in 1998. (I looked at my watch and saw that it was more like 12:03) so they did the countdown, sang Auld Lang Syne and finished The Guitar. They announced that they were going to do a short set then go freshen up and play some more. When they broke into Don't Let's Start, the audience let out a very loud cheer, kind of a "Thank you for finally playing this!" cheer. Flans started experiencing guitar trouble during it, though, and switched guitars mid-song. After Pet Name in the dark, they played The Got Lost (with the old intro, slow then picking up speed), and did New York City, in which Flans still had guitar trouble - he spent most of They Got Lost off stage yelling at people. So Dan covered his parts in NYC, and it included the following sequence of lines: Flans: "Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, Co-op City, Katz's and Tiffany's, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State where Dylan lived, Coney Island and Times Square, Rockefeller Center, wish I was there." Linnell: "You are there, John." Flans: "No, I mean Rockefeller Center." Linnell: "Oh." then they left and came back 20 minutes later with Istanbul - during the intro, they forgot to turn off the CD that had been playing during the break, and it sounded very odd. I guess they didn't notice it, though, since they started playing anyway. Then they plowed through the set. They said very little (they were tired) and it seemed that the audience wasn't as interested anymore, either... there was some enthusiasm, but not nearly as much as before. They switched Angel and S-E-X-X-Y because Flans tuned his guitar down a song early... and they introduced No One Knows My Plan with the "Everybody Conga" intro. At that point, I had started to feel faint, so I moved to the back of the room (at which point I immediately felt better - I guess it got a little cramped at the front) the encores weren't tremendously exciting, but Linnell's solo in Dr. Worm was nice and slow and then suddenly fast. amusing. the set list had written in as a third encore "I want to party fuckhead" but I guess we'll never know what that means, since they stopped after Dig My Grave. I'm not sure what the point of the break was, but it really screwed up the momentum... the opening act... the songs weren't bad, but he had no stage presence whatsoever. he couldn't keep the audience's attention between songs, and most of his jokes fell very flat. I'm guessing he sounds better on CD. He'd probably sound better with a band, too. I also forgot his name. overall, a fun experience... I don't know if I'd do it again, though. :) Happy New Year, and see whoever's going to be there in Westerville, Ohio, wherever that may be. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-2 *****************************