Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 20 Wednesday, 20 January 1999 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: more love/sex stuff... TMBG: FANtastic UK show! Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! Re: NON-TMBG: other vw commercial NON-TMBG: more love/sex stuff.. Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! Re: TMBG: Finding Mono Puff at the store... Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Re: TMBG: silly non-tmbg love business Re: TMBG: Re: Mono Puff Bonus Track Re: TMBG: silly non-tmbg love business TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations Re: NON-TMBG: more love/sex stuff.. Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations Re: Non-TMBG: Personal Mottos TMBG: rant perhaps Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - sorry if we are boring you America! Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - (Stuff about the instrument) Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - sorry if we are boring Re: NON-TMBG: more love/sex stuff.. Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG Re: TMBG:YEuph99, euph, Maine. (was: FANtastic UK show! More - (Stuff Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - sorry if we are boring you America! Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - sorry if we are boring Non-TMBG: Ani DiFranco TMBG: Great news! Re: NON-TMBG: other vw commercial Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:04:18 -0800 Message-Id: From: J Chen Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: more love/sex stuff... Hi all, Jim Kuemmerle wrote: >(1) sex has the ability to (as you put it) embellish romantic love. >(2) not only that, but sex in a loving relationship can be one of the most > sincere, genuine, and intense experiences of pure connectedness > possible. this is not to argue that sex is just inherently perfect or > any such b.s. -- sex (even in the most loving of relationships) can be > subject to any of the pitfalls mentioned in earlier posts and more. > but the ability of sex to enhance and strengthen emotional bonds > is far too important to be overlooked, and to reduce sex to merely an > act of lust is to ignore that very potential. and because it so > completely trivializes both sex and the love -- and i mean that word > -- that can be the motivating factor behind it, such a reductionistic > view is dangerous and seductive. At the risk of posting what is technically a "me too" message, I'd like to put in a few supporting words here for Jim's thoughts (after keeping up with this thread for the last few days). Most particularly, I'd like to emphasize: > to reduce sex to merely an > act of lust is to ignore that very potential. and because it so > completely trivializes both sex and the love -- and i mean that word > -- that can be the motivating factor behind it, such a reductionistic > view is dangerous and seductive. That explains exactly what I see wrong with the opposite viewpoint thus far: that it is taking something with very broad meanings and values for so many different people and making one declarative statement about it: Sex is lust. In this life on this world, one will realize that narrowing wide concepts into tight, non-alterable meanings can only serve to limit one's self. No one can truly say sex is only lust. I've heard people say sex is under-rated and over-rated, and reduce sex to scientific terms and likened to the highest philosophical and spiritual planes. Ultimately, it can be a cheap high provided by nature, or the most intense union, physically and mentally, between two people who love each other. Maybe some of you wish to reduce its meaning to have it make more sense in your lives... I think, for personal purposes, that is fine. But such a viewpoint can not possibly be adopted by all the people you converse with and, while, this was probably not the intent of those who argue it, stating such a viewpoint in said declarative manner can only make the person's viewpoint look limited. As for my opinion of how sex is related to love and lust, I'm not really worried about expressing it here... it's about as off-topic as we can get. I just wanted to make the point that second thoughts should be taken by any person whose habit it may be to make declarative statements. My other disagreement has to do with Jay's definition of love as related to the pursuit of beauty. I could probably argue all day on this one, but let me just say for now that I do not concur with that notion. Love has nothing to do wholly with beauty. This time it's taking two words, "love" and "beauty," which have very broad definitions to a wide spectrum of people, and giving them a direct relationship. I have loved things/people despite aspects of them which I perceive to be "ugly." I have a capacity for forgiveness which comes about as an extension of whatever love I feel. And beauty, which to me is an inanimate and self-created concept, can't be related to what is essentially a feeling of either intense passion or good will. If I find something beautiful, it doesn't necessarily mean I love it; love is so much deeper than a perception of beauty. Well, no flames intended and I hope no ires raised. This is an interesting discussion and I've thrown in my hat for now. Remember, keep thinking and debating, it keeps you alive and gets your blood flowing :-) --LVJeff And the rest of sex and love can be debated on Ally McBeal. ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | alecson@ucla.edu | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | ICQ# 10906249 | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Message-ID: <312FD527DF9BD111A3BC00A0C941EC8570F970@EXCALIBUR> From: "Pickstock, Kevin" Subject: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:12:16 +0000 TMBG at The Garage, London! MAD or what!!!!! The boys played the first of their two sell-out shows, and having never seen them live before, this was just beyond my wildest dreams. I've been to over 100 gigs but THIS was something special, I need time to recover before Saturday's show (which apparently is going to be different, and even longer). John Linnell's introductory speech: "We haven't played England for four years, some of you weren't even born then, so we're going to have to explain everything!" But it seemed that everyone there was TMBG's biggest fan, yelling out everything word perfect, this was the biggest and best response I've seen for any band. Did anyone spot any celebs in the crowd? I saw Jonathan Ross there. I've never seen him post a message to the digest though. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:16:49 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! In a message dated 1/19/99 4:15:19 AM, PickstockK@luton.gov.uk writes: >Did anyone spot any celebs in >the crowd? I saw Jonathan Ross there. I've never seen him post a message >to the digest though. > who? sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36A454D1.2F85FA94@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 02:48:04 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: other vw commercial wagner@mindspring.comn wrote: >i'm sure that many of you have seen the new >vw commercial, the one with the couple driving down the street and they play >a tape and everything outside is with the beat of the song -- does anyone >know what band/song this is that's playing? thanks. I assumed it was a piece of music written for that commercial but you could be right. (They played that commercial a kajillion times in the last week.) Volkswagen was cool enough to use Spirtualized's music in one of there commercials. They also resurrected TRIO from the dead. Any chance they could help out TMBG? -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199901191457.JAA06260@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: NON-TMBG: more love/sex stuff.. Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:57:07 -0500 (EST) > also... i take issue with matt's statement that: > > > If you are truly in love with someone sex will not enhance that love > > because you have already reached the peak of love. > > the analogy that i would offer is of a hiker thinking that he's about to > reach the summit, only to find that the hill he was on was obscuring his > view of another hill, even higher, just beyond. > > finally, like two other people who have written about this (i forget who), > i am a firm believer in the concept of dynamic beauty. and what i mean by > this is that your perception of somebody's physical attractiveness is > altered by so many factors, including their self-image, your self-image, > your perceptions of their personality and intelligence, and your emotional > concept of that person. > I guess what I was trying to say, Jim, is something like this: You know that you are climbing the highest mountain in the world (Mt. Everest?) and once you've reached that peak you've hit the highest point in your life. This is the love that you feel for your partner and the sex in that relationship is at that highest of high levels. But I think I was going along with your dynamic beauty theory as well (even though I seem to be arguing a static point). Even as with the mountains (for they can change in height ever so slowly, albeit generally they get smaller instead of larger) that peak of love can continue to rise as new aspects of the relationship are discovered. If things are going great and the 2 people really love each other everything in the relationship, from talking, laughing, hugging, walking the dog, sex, and anything else will grow and become more loving. Anyway, how the heck did we get onto this topic?? -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002a01be43bc$d50a7ea0$96b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:02:51 -0000 -----Original Message----- From: Pickstock, Kevin To: 'tmbg-digest@tmbg.org' Date: 19 January 1999 09:13 Subject: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! >TMBG at The Garage, London! MAD or what!!!!! The boys played the first >of their two sell-out shows, and having never seen them live before, >this was just beyond my wildest dreams. I've been to over 100 gigs but >THIS was something special, I need time to recover before Saturday's >show (which apparently is going to be different, and even longer). John >Linnell's introductory speech: "We haven't played England for four >years, some of you weren't even born then, so we're going to have to >explain everything!" But it seemed that everyone there was TMBG's >biggest fan, yelling out everything word perfect, this was the biggest >and best response I've seen for any band. It was SUCH a good gig. I bought the "Ants Attack" tee-shirt too (which I've wanted since the dawn of time). I was standing more or less in the middle of the audience (next to a girl with braided hair and behind a guy with a 1990 Flood tour tee on). I didn't get involed in any moshing as I was holding my lover in my arms. I did however do the conga line as instructed my Flansie, "Do the fucking conga.... I'm not FUCKING kidding!!!". I totally enjoyed every minute of it, especially the ultra-super-kicking-fast version of The Famous Polka near the beginning of the set. Anyone know the entire set list? Were there 4 Dans in the end? >Did anyone spot any celebs in >the crowd? I saw Jonathan Ross there. I've never seen him post a message >to the digest though. I remember reading a thing in the Daily Mail (were too working class to bother with The Times) that one of Jonathan Ross' fave LP's was Factory Showroom. Cool. Anyone know of any other famous peeps who love all things giant? -- Uncle Squid -- We lead double lives, we deal in sex and beautiful women "There's always some dumb, bullshit reason to kill your girlfriend" - Randy, Scream http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/mother_ship/ ICQ: 12605535 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990119170400.3451.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Finding Mono Puff at the store... Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:04:00 PST Amber wrote: >Only Place I ever saw "Its Fun To Steal" is at a chain store called >FYE, It >was about $17. I refused to buy it so I had Santa Bring it to me =) I don't know if that was such a good idea. He often tends to be rather careless. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990119171001.22714.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV totally hates TMBG Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:09:58 PST The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: >At 06:22 PM 1/14/99 EST, you wrote: >>In a message dated 99-01-14 17:15:29 EST, LDB@TMBG.ORG writes: >> >><< About the Let's/don't flub, I can see that happening "Don't Let's Start" >> does not make very much sense as a sentance or name >> >> >>Actually, it does. Break it down: Do Not Let Us Start > >It does not say, Do not let us start. It says don't let's start. I >understand it's a contraction for it, but it's name itself don't >let's start, does not make sense. Actually, I'd say that "don't let's" makes just as much sense as "let's not," if not more. I've heard "don't let's" several times from people other than John Linnell. Still, I can understand the mistake. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990119171305.25551.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: silly non-tmbg love business Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:13:04 PST mike wrote: >everyone's main focus in life should be A.) falling -in- love, B.) >saying >"sucks" a whole lot, and C.) laughing. I do all of those except for the first. In fact, I should probably say "sucks" less often. It's really a pretty stupid word. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990119171453.23047.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mono Puff Bonus Track Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:14:53 PST Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >Since there doesn't seem to be a name for the bonus track on >I.F.T.S., >I'm say we have a vote write here within tmbg-list, to see what it >should be called. Personally mail me your suggestions, and I'll set >up >the vote. When I've got all the suggestions, I'll post the ballot, >and >give you info on how to vote. This should be pretty cool. I usually just call it "Hidden Track." -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <003401be43d2$5857e120$874c56d1@computer> Subject: Re: TMBG: silly non-tmbg love business Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:37:09 -0500 >I do all of those except for the first. In fact, I should probably say >"sucks" less often. It's really a pretty stupid word. yeah, it sucks. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:26:44 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations I think you guys would like Ben Folds' latest side project, recorded under the alias Fear of Pop. The album is called "Volume 1". It's really strange but it proves that he does have a brilliant mind. It's nothing like Ben Folds Five, in fact, it almost makes fun of it (the song "Brick" is playing in the background at double speed at the beginning of a track). It's a great, strange, often humorous, often creepy album and William Shatner reads on two tracks. Also check out "New Rock" by Buffalo Daughter if you haven't already (it ain't new, but it's awesome). It has some brilliant jams on it and some trippy voice stuff. And check out anything by the band Folk Implosion if you have never. One of the members is named John Davis, he has an album called "Blue Mountains" with some TMBG-like vocals ("You knock me out because you are a knock out/And I thank you for it/Thank you/They sent you downhill, spinning/Did you think you could control it, the spinning?/I don't think so/Take a look, right now"). I have absolutely nothing else to say. I like posting to this message board, but I have nothing to say in response to anything that has been posted recently. I'm sorry to take you peoples' time here with non-TMBG junk. --Spencer, who does a parody of each unconcious thing you do ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <37670006.36a4cc2e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:17:18 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: more love/sex stuff.. In a message dated 1/19/99 10:01:45 AM, elrond@charm.net writes: >Anyway, how the heck did we get onto this topic?? blame it on jay. :) sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <265be8e.36a4ceeb@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:28:59 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations In a message dated 1/19/99 1:21:58 PM, SOwen@windwardschool.org writes: >I think you guys would like Ben Folds' latest side project, recorded under >the alias Fear of Pop. The album is called "Volume 1". It's really strange >but it proves that he does have a brilliant mind. It's nothing like Ben >Folds Five, in fact, it almost makes fun of it (the song "Brick" is playing >in the background at double speed at the beginning of a track). It's a >great, strange, often humorous, often creepy album and William Shatner >reads on two tracks. they're going to be on conan friday. :) unfortunately i've been unable to find the cd anywhere.. >Also check out "New Rock" by Buffalo Daughter if you haven't already i've heard some of their stuff and i love it, but alas, can't locate this one either... sarah ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: <476ff4e4.36a4e236@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:51:18 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Personal Mottos I live by the title of an old Sir Mix-a-lot song: "Put 'em on the Glass!" --Jamal ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:15:54 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: rant perhaps Message-ID: <3856-36A4E7FA-6@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I'd like to say that this bickering over sex, lust, and love (just like other arguments have in the past) is getting a little dangerous. It starts simply enough with someone pointing out something. Then, a discussion begins on the subject. Arguements start, people get edgey, and misunderstandings take place. Then we die. On a side note, these arguement detract attention from other posts (I don't see how, but it seems so). What will probably happen: an arguement starts over this post (Oh, brave new world, it'd be just like Animal Farm). Don't psychoanalize me from this post alone ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:05:50 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - sorry if we are boring you America! So I finally saw TMBG for the first time last night and it was a truly fantastic gig. Here are my rambling and random notes. It was a sold out and I believe Saturday is also sold out. Having purchased the STD tour T shirt (#15) I positioned myself about 6 rows from the front. Support band were pleasant and spent a pleasantly short time on stage. It can*t be any fun opening for TMBG. TMBG on stage at about 10 p.m. and played for about for 90 minutes Front section of the audience spent most of the time having a wild time. Didn*t see what was happening further back. They had a two piece horn section and John L spent quite a bit of time playing something that looked like a alto sax. Anyone have any ideas what instrument it was? Numbers included;- Dr Worm - only played once, not twice as in America recently I believe Spiralling Staircase- really really really rocked along Pet Name - sung in the dark(!) SEXXY - hate the song on the CD, now beginning to understand it James K Polk - played as it has a reference to us handing you Americans back some land?! Aga Ng Mammal - we sang alone with the expertise of final year biology students! Birdhouse - of course Istanbul - lovely introduction from both in the horn section The Famous Polka Spider Exquisite Dead Guy - who else would have the nerve to sing to you through puppets?! They got lost and many more. Did anyone get the set list? So we had the puppets. But no cannon - maybe British Customs won*t let it in. We were told to conga - some of us did but it didn*t really take off. Humans won, apes lost. I*ll be back on Saturday; just have to decide whether my body can take another 90 minutes at the front or whether I*ll retire to the back of the hall! I didn*t see any celebs although I know John Mills - hardly a celeb but a big fan of them and he*s on the radio - said he was going on Saturday. See you all on Saturday. Don't worry America we may have given them a fantastic reception but the weather is so grotty they won't want to stay - more's the pity. Richard ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <1b2204b1.36a4efa6@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:48:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - (Stuff about the instrument) > They had a two piece horn section and John L spent quite a bit of time > playing something that looked like a alto sax. Anyone have any ideas > what instrument it was? There are a few choices for this instrument. Was it just one short piece with a high sounding sound? That's a Soprano sax. Was it a bit bigger than the Alto, with a lower pitch? That's a Tenor sax. If it was as big as hell with a curved part at the top, it's a Baritone sax. Lin usually plays Bari, for those of you who don't know ... and that is quite a sexxy instrument. Unless he's on clarinet -- a small black thing with keys! (Gosh, I've been in band too long.....) Too bad the Euph is not more prevelant! -Samantha ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:05:44 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - sorry if we are boring Message-ID: <19990119.140546.3462.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEY! >and many more. Did anyone get the set list? more importantly... did anyone record the show? >Pet Name - sung in the dark(!) i have my theories as to why they play this in the dark... otherwise people would just get too bored/restless and well... next thing you know it'll be a riot, oh yes, a pet name riot. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::d-town vs. atlanta, history will decide::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:22:46 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: more love/sex stuff.. Message-ID: On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Matt James wrote: > I guess what I was trying to say, Jim, is something like this: > You know that you are climbing the highest mountain in the world > (Mt. Everest?) and once you've reached that peak you've hit the > highest point in your life. i guess (to continue the analogy) that my objection lies in the realization that you can only go down from there. > This is the love that you feel for your partner and the sex in that > relationship is at that highest of high levels. But I think I was going > along with your dynamic beauty theory as well (even though I seem to be > arguing a static point). Even as with the mountains (for they can > change in height ever so slowly, albeit generally they get smaller > instead of larger) that peak of love can continue to rise as new aspects > of the relationship are discovered. If things are going great and the 2 > people really love each other everything in the relationship, from > talking, laughing, hugging, walking the dog, sex, and anything else > will grow and become more loving. i entirely agree, and i hope i didn't sound like i meant that sex was the best way (or only way) to keep climbing. ;) also, (to once again extend the analogy) i would like to argue that sex can also work the same emotional bonding thing on relationships that are too immature to handle it, and liken such a case to climbing up to a higher altitude (think wile e. coyote) than the hill/mountain actually goes... :) i also like what somebody (is it jim lowery? i don't know...) said about sex being a tool that can be used for lots of different purposes... i guess i just like creative analogies in general. that reminds me: are there any douglas hofstadter fans here? i not-too-long-ago read one of his books (i forget the whole title, but it had the phrase "creative analogies" in the title and some funky-ass fonts on the front) and highly recommend it to anybody and everybody even remotely interested in fonts, jumble, analogies, and/or the creative/cognitive process in general... --jim kuemmerle, who's always happy to find a good explanation of his font jones in print... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:51:49 -0600 From: Message-ID: <782ug7$p1p$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote in message <22249-36A255C9-67@mailtod-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net>... I have the "ultimate HH..." book and it doesn't contain the fifth book. The short story confused me... The book you have is the "More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide" which has only the first four books + short story. It was released before Mostly Harmless came out and therefore is now less than complete. After Mostly Harmless came out, they released another complete collection called "Ultimate Hitchhicker's.." containing all five books + short story. Regarding the short story "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe", I read in an interview of DNA that the two escaped 'persons' (forgot what they actaully are) from the ship are supposed to be Ronald Reagen and Margrat Thatcher. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36A502A6.BDFF7AA3@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:09:42 -0500 From: Feeny aka Chris Campbell Subject: Re: TMBG:YEuph99, euph, Maine. (was: FANtastic UK show! More - (Stuff Did dan play his euphonium? I love the euph! GO SAM! and all the other euph players out there! BTW, totally unrelated but fun- I learned how to play "Till My Head Falls Off" on the euph, and is now rolling on the ground. I plan to debut(sp) it at next fridays pep band game. Are there any Maine listees here from the good ol hell from above? I know John Henrey lives close, anymore? IamSam98@aol.com wrote: > > They had a two piece horn section and John L spent quite a bit of time > > playing something that looked like a alto sax. Anyone have any ideas > > what instrument it was? > > There are a few choices for this instrument. > > Was it just one short piece with a high sounding sound? That's a Soprano sax. > > Was it a bit bigger than the Alto, with a lower pitch? That's a Tenor sax. > > If it was as big as hell with a curved part at the top, it's a Baritone sax. > > Lin usually plays Bari, for those of you who don't know ... and that is quite > a sexxy instrument. Unless he's on clarinet -- a small black thing with keys! > (Gosh, I've been in band too long.....) > > Too bad the Euph is not more prevelant! > > -Samantha ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <366db6bf.36a515ab@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:30:51 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - sorry if we are boring you America! In a message dated 99-01-19 16:10:03 EST, you write: > :::d-town vs. atlanta, history will decide::: And Atlanta will kick much ass. Oh yes. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:56:14 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - sorry if we are boring Message-ID: <19990119.170540.3438.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >> :::d-town vs. atlanta, history will decide::: > >And Atlanta will kick much ass. Oh yes. hey now! that just hurts. Actually, all my friends are giving me hell cuz i told them that i still like dan reeves. go figure. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Upcoming shows: Cake, The New Radicals, Reel Big Fish, Long Beach Dub Allstars, and Sno-Core'99 (Soul Coughing, Everclear, Redman, & DJ Spooky)::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990120000858.11595.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:08:58 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Non-TMBG: Ani DiFranco Hello all, I just wanted to know if there were any Ani DiFranco fans on the list. I just purchased her new CD, "Up Up Up Up Up Up", (hey, that's fun to type!) and I HIGHLY recommend it. I especially like "Jukebox"...it's a rockin' song! I haven't been a fan of hers for too long (only about a year), but I think she's an AMAZING songwriter! Okay, I just had to get that out of my system. And now back to your regularly scheduled lives.... == ~Connie~ "I ran out of nifty things to say for my sig." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990120003341.28579.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:33:41 -0800 (PST) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: TMBG: Great news! The TMBG Dreams page that has been in the works for eons on end is finally up! Well, sort of. The dreams are posted. I know the page is very rudimentary and needs spiffing up, but that will probably be taken care of over the weekend. At any rate, the dreams are posted for your viewing pleasure at: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/dreams.html Enjoy! Danielle === URL: http://come.to/cherubino See, Starvin' Marvin, these are what we call *appetizers*. This is what you eat before you eat to make you more hungry. --Eric Cartman _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990119222124.0092cdd0@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:27:56 -0500 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: other vw commercial Although I'm not personally familiar with the band, one of my friends loves the band that plays in that commercial. I believe its name is Spiritualized, and the name of the song is "ladies and gentlemen, we're floating in space." Ben "I was out by myself in the graveyard, I was doing an interpretive dance." Take A Gander, part 2 http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/lights/5364 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-20 ******************************