Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 21 Thursday, 21 January 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - (Stuff about the instrument) -Reply Re: NON-TMBG: other vw commercial Celebs at TMBG concerts (was Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show!...) Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show!...) Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations TMBG: Re: Celebs at TMBG concerts Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations Re: TMBG: Jukebox (was Non-TMBG: Ani DiFranco) Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) TMBG: Re: Fear of Pop and Buffalo Daughter (was: Non-TMBG Music TMBG: Re: VW commercials, Finding Mono Puff, Linnell's solo + TMBG: Re: Fear of Pop and Buffalo Daughter (was: Non-TMBG MusicRecommendatio Re: TMBG: Re: VW commercials, Finding Mono Puff, Linnell's solo +bootlegs TMBG: cdnow voting TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Re: TMBG: Jukebox (was Non-TMBG: Ani DiFranco) Re: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote Re: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote Re: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote Re: TMBG: cdnow voting Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Re: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG CD's NonTMBG: Fear of Pop Re: Celebs at TMBG concerts (was Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show!...) Re: TMBG: cdnow voting TMBG: okay, I'm sorry Re: TMBG: okay, I'm sorry Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:01:02 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36A59B4E.6ED3A0DA@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Dec-98 Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel by > tmbgirl@juno.com > > If anyone wants to fill in the actual story of mike and how he > > just disappeared one day only to return several months later and inform > > us of how he was majorly sick (sorry i can't member the details...) only > > to disappear again a few weeks later and never return... > > actually, he might be back in a couple of weeks... I know a friend of > his here at CMU, and he said that when he goes home for the winter, he's > going to help fix Mike's computer and get him back online... > (apparently, that's more difficult than it sounds in Nebraska) > > I'm sure when he comes back he'll fill us in on all the details of where > he's been for the last year and a half... :) > > Also, he's the one who started the signature thing with the quote in the > middle of his name... Sorry, everybody. It's probably a bad way to post my first message to the list, but I've got 1000 to go before I get to the present messages :P. Firstly, I live in the state of Nebraska, the same city as said Leffel, and was introduced to the wonders beyond Flood by Mike himself (yes, I was a Floodie for like 5 years, but only because of Dr. Demento). Mike's friend who came back from CMU (Vince, so that you can know I'm not some freak making all of this up as some "psychological test") did fix Mike's computer... to some extent. No internet, however. But twas not to last. Just last week, Mike's HD crashed, and there's no immediate sign of hope. I quote Mike: "Damn you, baby Jesus... I'll fight you right now!" (of course, he quoted Upright Citizen's Brigade, so who knows what he really meant, if that is at all possible). That sums up the Leffel bit. Well, except for the fact that if he really wants to, he could always use my computer the 1 day out of the week that he comes to my house to watch that damn Pokemon cartoon (not to say that I dislike Pokemon). So perhaps Leffel will post again in weeks to come. As for me, I've taken more of a shining to TMBG in the last 6 months than I ever imagined possible. Mike lent me his CDs, as he had no working CD player til just last month, so I had plenty of time to get hooked. Anyone with info on Cabbagetown or Poison Flowers, please let me know, via my new custom created email address created just for this mailing list. If you all hate me, please let your Congressman know, as they tend to care about these things. Ok, I'll stop now. Let me just say I'm glad to be on the list... lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob "Not a care in my half of the world" Scott ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 9:02:15 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show! More - (Stuff about the instrument) -Reply Unless someone else at the gig with greater knowledge knows better I think that it will have been a Baritone Sax he was playing. Richard >>> "IamSam98@aol.com" 19/January/1999 08:37pm >>> > They had a two piece horn section and John L spent quite a bit of time > playing something that looked like a alto sax. Anyone have any ideas > what instrument it was? There are a few choices for this instrument. Was it just one short piece with a high sounding sound? That's a Soprano sax. Was it a bit bigger than the Alto, with a lower pitch? That's a Tenor sax. If it was as big as hell with a curved part at the top, it's a Baritone sax. Lin usually plays Bari, for those of you who don't know ... and that is quite a sexxy instrument. Unless he's on clarinet -- a small black thing with keys! (Gosh, I've been in band too long.....) Too bad the Euph is not more prevelant! -Samantha ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36A5A9F9.F78A5FF2@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:03:40 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: other vw commercial From: Ben Bradshaw > Although I'm not personally familiar with the band, one of my friends >loves the band that plays in that commercial. I believe its name is >Spiritualized, and the name of the song is "ladies and gentlemen, we're >floating in space." The Spiritualized song was in the one for the New Beetle. The music in question is in the Jetta commercial. Turn on the TV. Its always on. Every channel, all the time. - B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36A5AE83.88BA8998@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:23:03 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Celebs at TMBG concerts (was Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show!...) Pickstock, Kevin wrote: >Anyone know of any other famous peeps who love all things >giant? I saw one celebrity at a TMBG show. Weird Al was a few rows in front of me when They played The Pantages in L.A. during the John Henry Tour. Some non-first hand accounts... Conan O'Brien usually expresses how much he like Them when they are on his show. Also I read an article in People magazine a long time ago where Weezer praised them. That's all I can think of. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990120051431.0088e300@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 05:14:31 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) >>> So perhaps Leffel will post again in weeks to come. <<< Bob, I must say that if you are toying with our feelings, may leffel himself unleash an army of 'N SYNC fans upon you, telling them to return with your eyeballs (seperated from the rest of the body, naturally) for backstage passes. Mike Leffel to us is no longer just a cult icon, but an object of worship. If you are not giving us false hopes, then I must say thank you. I will sure miss answering the "Just who the hell *is* Mike Leffel" questions, but I'd rather see the master at work instead of doing my pale attempts at thus. And since you gave almost all other info about Mikey, and left out some, lemme ask, how's his art going? Also, does he happen to have relatives in Kansas? But if you are toying with our feelings, may leffel himself unleash an army of 'N SYNC fans upon you, telling them to return with your eyeballs (seperated from the rest of the body, naturally) for backstage passes. Mike Leffel to us is no longer just a cult icon, but an object of worship. L "One of three who tried to keep the dream alive" DB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901201132.GAA08291@pop.snet.net> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 06:28:34 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) > As for me, I've taken more of a shining to TMBG in the last 6 months than I > ever imagined possible. Mike lent me his CDs, as he had no working CD player til > just last month ha. sounds like somebody needs to get this boy some new electronics! lord knows we can't leave it to the cornflakes... jen ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 05:01:23 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show!...) Message-ID: <19990120.050639.3478.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > That's all I can think of. hey now... don't forget my boys... reel big fish :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Upcoming shows: Cake, The New Radicals, Reel Big Fish, Long Beach Dub Allstars, and Sno-Core'99 (Soul Coughing, Everclear, Redman, & DJ Spooky)::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36A5DDA6.CE965A40@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:44:06 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Bob Scott wrote: > Firstly, I live in the state of Nebraska, Can you see any trees? I mean right now, like if you look around from where you are, can you see *any* trees at all? Just wondering. > the same city as said Leffel, Is the town named after him yet? Is he mayor and busy bringing joy and happiness to the citizens of his town instead of bringing it to us, the rightful children of Leffel (literally - really. DNA check time, eh?) > was introduced to the wonders beyond Flood by Mike himself (yes, I was a Floodie > for like 5 years, but only because of Dr. Demento). > Mike's friend who came back > from CMU (Vince, so that you can know I'm not some freak making all of this up as > some "psychological test") did fix Mike's computer... to some extent. No > internet, however. Crowd: Awwwwwww. > That sums up the Leffel bit. Well, except for the fact that if he really > wants to, he could always use my computer the 1 day out of the week that he comes > to my house to watch that damn Pokemon cartoon (not to say that I dislike > Pokemon). So perhaps Leffel will post again in weeks to come. Leffel could possibly use *your* computer? Leffel comes over to *your* house? Leffel watches *your* TV! Bob, carry this scepter and wear this tiara and cape. We shall praise you and laugh at you behind your back as you walk amongst us. Well, those of us that know and love Leffel will, the rest shall thusly ask "Who the hell is this Leffel guy and why does he seem to be bigger than the list?". > As for me, I've taken more of a shining to TMBG in the last 6 months than I > ever imagined possible. Mike lent me his CDs, as he had no working CD player til > just last month, so I had plenty of time to get hooked. Anyone with info on > Cabbagetown or Poison Flowers, please let me know, via my new custom created > email address created just for this mailing list. Define "info on Cabbagetown or Poison Flowers". Fellow Leffel-worshippers, it seems Leffel-Palindrome-Leffel has forsaken technology. Maybe we should follow suit... > AKA Bob "Not a care in my half of the world" Scott AKA Bob, do you have your own card? Chad "I haven't Leffelled in my sig in a long time" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:56:12 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations Message-id: <36A5EE8C.28A9@wmich.edu> >I think you guys would like Ben Folds' latest side project, recorded under >the alias Fear of Pop. The album is called "Volume 1". It's really strange >but it proves that he does have a brilliant mind. It's nothing like Ben >Folds Five, in fact, it almost makes fun of it (the song "Brick" is playing >in the background at double speed at the beginning of a track). It's a >great, strange, often humorous, often creepy album and William Shatner >reads on two tracks. I ordered Fear of Pop from cdnow just the other day.... and i can't wait to hear it. I was JUST listening to the radio and they played a song from it, which was very cool.... i love my college radio station, they're the only station with the really cool obscure music :) ~Sarah "I don't need to walk around in circles" but i do. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:14:49 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Re: Celebs at TMBG concerts Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Bongo wrote: > Some non-first hand accounts... Conan O'Brien usually expresses how > much he like Them when they are on his show. Also I read an article in > People magazine a long time ago where Weezer praised them. That's all I > can think of. I can only assume that Pere Ubu are big fans of Them...or else why would one of the best underground weirdo bands, who had been around for at least ten years when They released their FIRST album, agree to open for Them? To me, if Pere Ubu said they liked my band, I think I'd have a stroke out of happiness. And, while this doesn't really correspond with the question asked, They are pretty damn well-liked by some highly respected music critics. Never hurts to have help from folks like that. The "Leffel is overrated, but he's still okay in my book" Rev np: Paul Oakenfold--Tranceport (yummy) |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:21:21 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Sarah wrote: > I ordered Fear of Pop from cdnow just the other day.... and i can't wait > to hear it. I was JUST listening to the radio and they played a song > from it, which was very cool.... i love my college radio station, > they're the only station with the really cool obscure music :) I will now take this time (and server space) to plug myself. You like the college radio, do you? You like the cool obscure music, do you? Well then, listen to me over the internet (or, if you're in western St. Louis, just listen on the air) at 8:00 pm (central time) on sunday evenings, and you'll get yourself some of that college radio you love. And hey, e-mail me if you actually listen and make a request before the show or something like that...if I know you're listening, I'll keep it out of the really weird shit. The "Doubting anyone will listen, considering his Leffel crack" Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:13:30 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG Music Recommendations Message-ID: Whoops. I forgot the url for that little radio show thingie. Go on over to http://kwur.wustl.edu. You'll find us there. Sorry about that. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990120181638.26578.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Jukebox (was Non-TMBG: Ani DiFranco) Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:16:38 PST Happy Cow wrote: > I just wanted to know if there were any Ani DiFranco fans on >the >list. I just purchased her new CD, "Up Up Up Up Up Up", (hey, that's >fun to type!) and I HIGHLY recommend it. I especially like >"Jukebox"...it's a rockin' song! I'm assuming that this song has no connection to the "Jukebox" song that TMBG played at a concert (I think it was a British concert; the song was posted on TDK's page a few months ago). Incidentally, does anyone know who wrote "Jukebox"? It doesn't sound like a TMBG original. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:19:22 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36A61E2A.3A983AE2@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >>> So perhaps Leffel will post again in weeks to come. <<< > > Bob, I must say that if you are toying with our feelings, may leffel > himself unleash an army of 'N SYNC fans upon you, telling them to return > with your eyeballs (seperated from the rest of the body, naturally) for > backstage passes. Mike Leffel to us is no longer just a cult icon, but an > object of worship. > > If you are not giving us false hopes, then I must say thank you. I will > sure miss answering the "Just who the hell *is* Mike Leffel" questions, but > I'd rather see the master at work instead of doing my pale attempts at > thus. And since you gave almost all other info about Mikey, and left out > some, lemme ask, how's his art going? Also, does he happen to have > relatives in Kansas? > Leffel Art Update: Mike, being the tortured artist type, is never happy with anything that he draws, which you may know from his postings just over a year ago. He was working on a few comic ideas, but I think he's given up on them for the moment to pursue illustrating a children's book with the major star being a hippo. And I don't know about the Leffels in Kansas thing... Thursday, you shall know... Ask the great Leffel! Barring the blizzard predicted (In Nebraska, I doubt the weathermen are right), Leffel himself shall post! I toy with you not! Of course, don't expect the quantity of messages he once sent. And for those of you who still doubt that I am telling the truth, send me an email at my address in Norfolk, same provider as Leffel had, tplummer@ncfcomm.com With that I shut up once again! lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob Scott inaccessible web page: http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html accessible, but small website: http://www.angelfire.com/ne/bobscott/lemon.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:30:57 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36A620E1.F23498E4@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Chad Maloney wrote: > Bob Scott wrote: > > Firstly, I live in the state of Nebraska, > > Can you see any trees? I mean right now, like if you look around from where > you are, can you see *any* trees at all? Just wondering. There's a small larch(#1) out front...I think I see a maple across the street...I can't really identify them from quite a long ways away... > > the same city as said Leffel, > > Is the town named after him yet? Is he mayor and busy bringing joy and > happiness to the citizens of his town instead of bringing it to us, the > rightful children of Leffel (literally - really. DNA check time, eh?) Well, if you move the letters of Norfolk around, you can see that the town has always been named after him: Drop the N... and the O... Actually, just drop all the letters, and add Leffelville... There ya go! > > was introduced to the wonders beyond Flood by Mike himself (yes, I was a Floodie > > for like 5 years, but only because of Dr. Demento). > > > > > Mike's friend who came back > > from CMU (Vince, so that you can know I'm not some freak making all of this up as > > some "psychological test") did fix Mike's computer... to some extent. No > > internet, however. > > Crowd: Awwwwwww. > > > That sums up the Leffel bit. Well, except for the fact that if he really > > wants to, he could always use my computer the 1 day out of the week that he comes > > to my house to watch that damn Pokemon cartoon (not to say that I dislike > > Pokemon). So perhaps Leffel will post again in weeks to come. > > Leffel could possibly use *your* computer? Leffel comes over to *your* house? > Leffel watches *your* TV! Bob, carry this scepter and wear this tiara and cape. > We shall praise you and laugh at you behind your back as you walk amongst us. > Well, those of us that know and love Leffel will, the rest shall thusly ask > "Who the hell is this Leffel guy and why does he seem to be bigger than the > list?". I did take part in his immersal in Monty Python, and I have allowed him to see the new episodes of the Simpsons which are no longer syndicated in this hick-town called home... Of course, neither of those things has anything to do with this list, but when I let him back on the list, perhaps they will, as I'm sure he won't shut up about most anything (especially Pokemon...) > > As for me, I've taken more of a shining to TMBG in the last 6 months than I > > ever imagined possible. Mike lent me his CDs, as he had no working CD player til > > just last month, so I had plenty of time to get hooked. Anyone with info on > > Cabbagetown or Poison Flowers, please let me know, via my new custom created > > email address created just for this mailing list. > > Define "info on Cabbagetown or Poison Flowers". > > Fellow Leffel-worshippers, it seems Leffel-Palindrome-Leffel has forsaken > technology. Maybe we should follow suit... > Actually, technology has forsaken him... I spent the better part of 3 hours trying to help him find out if there was anything wrong with his comp other than the HD... It turned out that the smoke coming from the floppy drive would indicate that it was dead...So now his entire comp is simply a new CD player... But he's not complaining... > > AKA Bob "Not a care in my half of the world" Scott > > AKA Bob, do you have your own card? > > Chad "I haven't Leffelled in my sig in a long time" Maloney No cards, just buttons...Not personalized buttons, mind you, but really crappy Ahaha buttons which I somehow managed to win via the net. But I'm blithering like the idiot I am, so I'll stop now... lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob Scott Mediocre site: http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html Bad Monty Python site: http://www.angelfire.com/ne/bobscott/lemon.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:57:09 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Re: Fear of Pop and Buffalo Daughter (was: Non-TMBG Music >>I think you guys would like Ben Folds' latest side project, recorded under >>the alias Fear of Pop. >unfortunately i've been unable to find the cd anywhere.. Where do you live, Sarah? It seems this album would be fairly easy to find. The places I have been it's either been used, new, both, or sold out because of popularity... >>Also check out "New Rock" by Buffalo Daughter if you haven't already >i've heard some of their stuff and i love it, but alas, can't locate this one >either... > >sarah Again, where do you live?!? This album seems like it would be even larger. It was reviewed in Rolling Stone and mentioned many times, and it's one of Sean Lennon's favorite bands. --Spencer, the helper and the pal ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:43:39 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Re: VW commercials, Finding Mono Puff, Linnell's solo + Ben: Yes, the commercial you mentioned does, in fact, have Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" (a great song and a great album). There is also another Beetle commercial with Stereolab's "Diagonals" on it. I recommend anything by either of these bands, especially Stereolab. However, the commercial I believe the original person was asking about was the new one where there's two people driving down a street and everything around them moves to the beat. The man then says, "That was interesting." I would LOVE to know what that music is, it's really good. If anyone knows pipe up. I have so far found "It's Fun to Steal" at THREE stores and "Unsupervised" at one. I haven't even looked at Tower Records yet! After Ani's "Up Up Up Up Up Up", I'm probably going to buy "IFTS". Speaking of "Up Up Up Up Up Up," I recommend it to anyone...I've heard clips at www.cdnow.com and they're awesome. However, to become a fan I suggest the first album you buy is "Not a Pretty Girl." It's great. I want to say something cool about TMBG, so I'll say...umm...oh yeah! Someone kindly sent me a free tape (I'll name names if you want, kind person) of Linnell's "House of Mayors" and "State Songs." "House of Mayors" is brilliant, and "State Songs," while wonderful to listen to, is just weird. (Why the hell does Nevada stretch out so damn long?) I also recieved many many bootleg recordings along with it. I have a version of Certain People I Could Name on tape now! I'm so excited! AND Finished With Lies! I love those songs. It's a great tape. Does anyone know when "Direct from Brooklyn" is being released? --Spencer, who will not sweep for you ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9483786d.36a63b70@aol.com> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:24:16 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: Fear of Pop and Buffalo Daughter (was: Non-TMBG MusicRecommendations) In a message dated 1/20/99 2:50:29 PM, SOwen@windwardschool.org writes: >Where do you live, Sarah? It seems this album would be fairly easy to find. >The places I have been it's either been used, new, both, or sold out because >of popularity... > > >Again, where do you live?!? rochester ny. we've got a little more than average cd stores here, but i can't find these (and air's "moon safari" too..) but it seems like the slot in where they'd be is always empty. :P sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5362aded.36a63b9d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:25:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: VW commercials, Finding Mono Puff, Linnell's solo +bootlegs In a message dated 1/20/99 2:59:48 PM, SOwen@windwardschool.org writes: >. There is also another Beetle commercial with Stereolab's "Diagonals" >on it. I recommend anything by either of these bands, especially Stereolab. > nope, actually it's the song "parsec". :) from the album "dots and loops" sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:10:18 EST Subject: TMBG: cdnow voting okay everyone. get thee to www.cdnow.com and to the best of 98 and to enter your ballot. i just voted, and the resuls as of now are: Best of '98: 1. Tommy Shaw 2. Kerry Livgren 3. Kylie Minogue 4. Bee Gees 5. King's X 6. Garbage 7. Moxy Fruvous 8. Idina Menzel 9. David Lee Murphy 10. Madonna Your selection: 79. They Might Be Giants Worst of '98: 1. Backstreet Boys 2. Marilyn Manson 3. Celine Dion 4. Spice Girls 5. Hanson 6. Mariah Carey 7. N Sync 8. Alanis Morissette 9. Puff Daddy 10. Natalie Imbruglia Your selection: 58. Limp Bizkit Total votes tallied: 25201 Total votes tallied: 12589 we can make this happen. : ) ::beam:: sarah ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:16:10 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote Message-ID: <25244-36A663BA-537@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-1019924691-249 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Here's the official ballot to decide exactly how we will refer to the Mono Puff bonus track on It's Fun To Steal (well, really, you can call it whatever you want). Just send me your vote, and I'll post the results. To vote, send me the number next to your choice. Here 'tis... #1: Bag o' Chips #2: Bonus Track, Bonus Track #3: House Arrest #4: Where Have All My Friends Gone? #5: The Mono Puff Syndicate Song type-thing #6: 2 minutes & 9 seconds behind Creepy #7: The not-so Musical Song #8: Computer Sadness #9: Head t-twapp #10: Your Call Well, there's your choices, please get back to me (personally) with your choices. (one each) --WebTV-Mail-1019924691-249 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit --WebTV-Mail-1019924691-249-- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:04:56 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Message-ID: <19990120.162555.4678.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Can you see any trees? I mean right now, like if you look around from >where >you are, can you see *any* trees at all? Just wondering. ya know... you start stereotyping and look. Geez, when i was in NYC and people asked where i was from (denver) the common response was "oh, how many horses do you own?" uh... wha? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::anxiouslly awaiting the return on leffel... perhaps he'll come bearing gifts... kool-aid anyone?::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:59:34 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Jukebox (was Non-TMBG: Ani DiFranco) Message-ID: <19990120.162555.4678.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Incidentally, does anyone >know >who wrote "Jukebox"? It doesn't sound like a TMBG original. on stumpbox i think it was just listed as "generic country" i dunno... it sounds like some pretty generic country. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::it's all fun and games when you have a crush on someone twice your age, it's not when someone twice your age has a crush on you::: ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9dd8181e.36a6708b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:10:51 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote In a message dated 1/20/99 6:18:27 PM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >#1: Bag o' Chips >#2: Bonus Track, Bonus Track >#3: House Arrest >#4: Where Have All My Friends Gone? >#5: The Mono Puff Syndicate Song type-thing >#6: 2 minutes & 9 seconds behind Creepy >#7: The not-so Musical Song >#8: Computer Sadness >#9: Head t-twapp >#10: Your Call #11: Matt's Life Savings #12: Butt Knobs ::eternally ducking:: ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:40:59 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote Message-ID: <19990120.174105.4670.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >#11: Matt's Life Savings >#12: Butt Knobs >::eternally ducking:: ;) ya know, some threads you don't mind to see show up from time to time... others you do. Next thing you know, we'll be talkin about AKA's. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::it must be the return of leffel...whoa, talk about freudian slips when you're typing... i almost wrote "it must be the rerun of leffel"::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:45:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote In a message dated 1/20/99 7:43:41 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: >Next thing you know, we'll be talkin about AKA's. ::tips head back and LOL's:: :D sarah >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html >:::it must be the return of leffel...whoa, talk about freudian slips when >you're typing... i almost wrote "it must be the rerun of leffel"::: > ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901210110.UAA24308@pop.snet.net> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:05:28 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: cdnow voting > Your selection: 79. They Might Be Giants this is simply unexcusable. what a sorry, pathetic display... tmbg... number SEVENTY NINE. the thought itself is proposterous. we must make a stir in the society that so many people conform to. we MUST knock out those who are not as deserving... those who... well, suck. in the name of the holy cornflakes, we must.... because we all know that the communists won't. jen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002401be44dc$3ccb4180$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:20:30 -0700 I got that beat by a lot! Okay...I was in Florida for the national DECA conference. Part of it was this cultural exchange, of sorts, with people from other states. When I told people I was from New Mexico, the most common responses were as followed: Can you drink the water down there? How's it feel to be in another country? Do you guys speak English down there? (Now, what possessed the Texan (no offense to Texans) to say that to me, I have no clue. Not that I'd spoken our ENTIRE F***ING CONVERSATION IN ENGLISH or anything.. Ah well.) Just thought I'd inform you all... Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico (USA!!!) -----Original Message----- From: tmbgirl@juno.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 4:28 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (Long message, but Leffel Update) >>Can you see any trees? I mean right now, like if you look around from >>where >>you are, can you see *any* trees at all? Just wondering. > >ya know... you start stereotyping and look. >Geez, when i was in NYC and people asked where i was from (denver) the >common response was "oh, how many horses do you own?" uh... wha? > >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html >:::anxiouslly awaiting the return on leffel... perhaps he'll come bearing >gifts... kool-aid anyone?::: > >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html >or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:50:59 -0500 (EST) From: Chad M Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff bonus track vote Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > >#11: Matt's Life Savings > >#12: Butt Knobs > >::eternally ducking:: ;) > > ya know, some threads you don't mind to see show up from time to time... > others you do. > Next thing you know, we'll be talkin about AKA's. I don't know about you, but I was talking about AKA's when I asked AKA Bob if he had a card... *grin* - Chad ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:47:58 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG CD's Message-ID: <19990120.221341.-191661.2.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Yeah, I think they're still in print, like 60 bucks or something. I saw them used for 2o, but had to pass them up cause I'm so DIRT poor, waaaah :( Anyone know where i can find the records or the towels? Mysterio Gal (The notorious "Hooded Rat") "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:10:05 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: NonTMBG: Fear of Pop Message-id: <36A6A89D.1614@wmich.edu> Hey Everybody.... Don't miss FEAR OF POP's first ever live performance, featuring Ben Folds, William Shatner and the infamous Eddie Walker on drums on LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O'BRIEN this Friday, January 22. They will be performing "In Love", the first single from the Fear Of Pop album, Volume I. Make sure you tune in! Definitely worth checking out..... ~Sarah "I don't need to walk around in circles." but i do. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01be44f4$513cca40$18c608d1@seanberg> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Celebs at TMBG concerts (was Re: TMBG: FANtastic UK show!...) Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:12:50 -0500 :Pickstock, Kevin wrote: : :>Anyone know of any other famous peeps who love all things :>giant? : : I saw one celebrity at a TMBG show. Weird Al was a few rows in front of me when They :played The Pantages in L.A. during the John Henry Tour. : : Some non-first hand accounts... Conan O'Brien usually expresses how much he like Them :when they are on his show. Also I read an article in People magazine a long time ago where :Weezer praised them. That's all I can think of. I stood next to Jamie Kitman of Automobile Magazine for a good portion of the recent 9:30 club show. No shit! Really! Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ Yes I know he's their manager.....just checking to see who's awake. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:59:39 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: cdnow voting Message-ID: <19990120.231851.4998.1.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. >> Your selection: 79. They Might Be Giants > >this is simply unexcusable. what a sorry, pathetic display... >tmbg... number SEVENTY NINE. the thought itself is proposterous. >we must make a stir in the society that so many people conform >to. we MUST knock out those who are not as deserving... those >who... well, suck. hell, i'm surprised they even made the damn list (boy, i'm letting the profanity fly tonight). it was also out of what, a 100 bands? as nice as it would have been to have the Johns in the top ten, i'm pretty impressed they made it that far considering how much came out last year. and who were most of those people in the top ten? Tommy Shaw? Kerry Livgren? Idina Menzel? save for Garbage, Moxy and Madonna, i'm lost. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Random Simpsons Quote "And with a flute up his nose, Ralph Wiggum." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:22:53 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: okay, I'm sorry Message-ID: <14602-36A6B9AD-1701@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-795051341-733 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Alright, I'm sorry if you all got mad over the fact that I thought we should have a name for the Mono Puff bonus track. I didn't think anyone would care so much if we changed it from merely "bonus track." That's so dull. I didn't know that was official. I would however like to thank Jeff Parker, who was the only one who actualy cast a vote, and just played along, instead of getting on my ass about it (did I sound bitter?). Thank you Jeff, and for now on, I personally will be refering to it as "House Arrest," which was the only one to recieve a vote. Forgive me, & please still accept me here. Sorry, Dexburger --WebTV-Mail-795051341-733 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit --WebTV-Mail-795051341-733-- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <96cd5cb8.36a6ba7b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:26:19 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: okay, I'm sorry In a message dated 1/21/99 12:23:50 AM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >I would however like to thank >Jeff Parker, who was the only one who actualy cast a vote, and just >played along, instead of getting on my ass about it (did I sound >bitter?). i was just being silly with my reply. i wasn't getting on your ass... ::ponders.. no.:: sarah:) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-21 ******************************