Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 25 Monday, 25 January 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-off topic posts re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG: Mix Tape! NON-TMBG: how many introductions ... Re: TMBG: On topic, for once :) TMBG: John Henry Special Edition (or what ever it's called) TMBG: Pre-Show Music Re: TMBG: John Henry Special Edition (or what ever it's called) Re: TMBG: John Henry Special Edition (or what ever it's called) TMBG: THMB: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music Re: TMBG: THMB: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music TMBG: re: Double Dong & TMBG Re: TMBG: Mix Tape! Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music Re: TMBG: Thank You Re: TMBG: THMB: Apollo 18 Re: TMBG: Mix Tape! Re: TMBG: Mix Tape! TMBG: WKTU Re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG:Lincoln (the band) Re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG: WKTU Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music Re: TMBG: Another Dream!? Good Lord! Re: TMBG: WKTU Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts Re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG: duh Re: TMBG: duh TMBG: Eugene Chadbourne items Re: TMBG: Rock and Roll Jeopardy Sorta-TMBG: The Bobs Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music Re: TMBG: Rock and Roll Jeopardy TMBG: tmbg in the movies Re: Sorta-TMBG: The Bobs Re: TMBG: duh TMBG: They Might be Dreams, and Birdhouse Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901240558.AAA00221@pop.snet.net> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:55:05 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-off topic posts > > whoever DARES to insult the spaghetti is sure to get a > > whipping... i mean, we ALL know THAT... > > > > Well, I'm kinda partial to linguini, personally. And really, how off topic > can pasta be? They might be pasta! Who are we to judge? i like bow ties, myself, but they aren't as hostile as spaghetti... but they also might be cow lint... who really knows? jen Tonight, when we were eating dinner, Jon said something that really knocked me for a loop. He said, "I love carrots." "Good," I said as I gritted my teeth real hard. "Then maybe you and carrots would like to go into the bedroom and have sex!" They didn't, but maybe they will sometime, and I can watch ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901240605.BAA05031@pop.snet.net> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 01:01:46 -0500 Subject: re: TMBG: duh > > > < > HELL IS THE BIG DEAL???>> > > Uhh... if you had had the intelligence and the real concern to actually READ the posts about Mike Leffel, maybe you'd know. and maybe if YOU read all the mail, then maybe you would realize that this was an EARLY one. yes... one that happened a mighty long time ago and launched everyone into this whole thing. an innocent question, don't snap. that's what bread is for. > > Wow. That was the biggest spurt of self-righteousness on this List I've seen wow. and that wasn't? > By the way... is it me, or is it JUST the newbies complaining that they don't like the Leffel phenomenon? define newbie. i mean, hey- leffel hasn't been around for quite a while... since even before i came. and i don't consider myself to be what you call a "newbie". i've been on and off for a while. so suck it up. > <<"I'm your only friend, i'm not your only friend, but really i'm a > little glowing friend, but really i'm not actually your friend.">> > > Errr, Floodie, perhaps? Obviously, since he didn't recognize Pencil Rain. and you are TMBG king, right? ALL HAIL THE TMBG KING! YAHOOOOOOOO! just you wait... don't think that Zues and his army of running sticks are going to just "overlook" this... no way... jen Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man." ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <74afb99b.36aac703@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 02:08:51 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Mix Tape! > I must say, I'm amazed! It's a very good play list, and the order seems > to flow okay. But, may I make a few suggestions (you don't have to > heed my advice, but if you don't, you may risk invoking my wrath )? > First of all, I know some people may be sick of it, but I just can't see > a mix tape without having "Istanbul." I prefer the STD version to the > Flood one, but that's just me. Uh. No Istanbul. I thoroughly hate that song and am embaressed of it. In S.S. class, every day we did anything about Ancient Rome and Constantine (or Constantinople) I would get the mocking tone of that song. This was about a half of a semester. Thank god it's over now. You don't know what it's like to think, "You need more TMBG in your lives, stupid fools! Not just that annoying song!" > Secondly, I would also include "Meet James Ensor" (the wonderful STD > version) and "James K. Polk" on the tape. "Meet James Ensor" (yes, the STD version) is replacing (and I was just starting to do so right before I read this!) "First Kiss" and since I've had total burn out on "James K. Polk", I'm saving it for mix tape 2 .. coming soon. ;) > And what three songs would I remove from the tape to make room for these > three? "First Kiss," "The Biggest One," and "Pet Name." Good songs, yes, > but I think the three I named are better. "Pet Name" is one of my favourite TMBG songs -- that's staying. "The Biggest One" makes me crack up. "First Kiss" is replaceable. > Make all these changes and you'd have a mix tape that would get my Seal > of Approval. > > That is what you want, isn't it? Yes. -Samantha ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990124025044.0095d730@pop3.scott.net> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 02:52:48 -0600 From: Halsted Mencotti Bernard Subject: NON-TMBG: how many introductions ... ... does it take for me to say hello? I'm not sure. We're trying for three, at this point. At least, I *think* this is the third time I've subscribed to the list. One loses track after one vacillates so much, doesn't one? Anyway, I've been a fan of TMBG since 1990 ... *and* I'm living in the Southeastern U.S., which makes for an unsatisfying concert-going combination. Needless to say, I was thrilled to see Robyn's post about getting Them to UGA. Are there any other fans on the list in the South? I look forward to adding what I can to the general discussion, and welcome correspondence from curious and/or bored list members. _Halsted._ [ halsted@pobox.com ] - [ http://www.pobox.com/~halsted/ ] - [ icq 1275457 ] [ less-than-new lurkergrrl; be gentle, or don't and suffer no consequences ] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:22:23 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36AAE64E.836A524E@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: On topic, for once :) Claire V Gray wrote: > I find that Factory Showroom goes wonderfully well with the 1st Star > Wasrs movie, especially Pet Name durring the bit where Han and Luke are > arguing tee hee hee Well, that seems a good possibility. I'll have to try it. But consider this one: Perhaps Miscellaneous T fits some made-for-TV A-Team movie (because, as those of us who have nothing better to know know, Mr. T. is the leader of the A-Team). It would be a funny coincidence, at best. At worst, it would be mildly humorous. lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob "Ace" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990124141011.20850.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 06:10:11 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: TMBG: John Henry Special Edition (or what ever it's called) Does any one know what the extra tracks on the $30 version of JH are? I know that there are some live tracks, but that's just about all I know. Also, are these the same as on STD, or are they different live versions? While I'm at it, has anyone here heard of the group "Blogurt"? I got a song of their's on a compilation CD from WCBE(my local public radio station) and they sound a lot like Moxy Fruvous, but I can't find their CD anywhere, I can't even find it to order of amazon or CDnow. I figure somebody here might know where I can find it. - == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36AAFB0A.31E48748@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:51:08 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Pre-Show Music In the last digest someone (I forget who) said: "I think most of the threads have been worn out by now." If I thought that was true, I would unsubscribe right now. Of course I don't read every post but it seems to me that there's stuff I haven't seen discussed. Here's an example: At the last TMBG show I attended (about six months ago) I was amazed at the recorded music they played before the show. A lot of it was 80's new wave classics but they also played a lot of cool, not so well known songs including some by artists John and John have said they liked. They even played The Residents' cover of "I'm So Lonesome, I Could Cry". What are the odds of hearing that before the average rock/pop concert? So I'm wondering, does this music travel with the band? (I kind of doubt it.) Does the band select it? (Seems possible.) What songs are the rest of you hearing before the shows? (My memory is fading but I recall they also played Tom Waits and Oingo Boingo. At another show, I remember hearing ELP's Brain Salad Surgery.) If this topic has been "worn out" let me know and I'll come up with another fresh one. (I got tons of 'em!) -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "If it wasn't for disappointment I wouldn't have any appointments" -Rodney Dangerfield ....No...wait a second!....I mean TMBG! ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:24:34 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Special Edition (or what ever it's called) << Does any one know what the extra tracks on the $30 version of JH are? I know that there are some live tracks, but that's just about all I know. Also, are these the same as on STD, or are they different live versions? >> Argh, *please* somebody put this in the FAQ !!! The bonus tracks are 6 tracks from the infamous Live in NYC recording, including "Birdhouse," which is, yes, the same one on STD. Nice little sampler, but can't compare with the full-length Live which you could possibly find a copy of for about the same price if you're lucky (and dilligent). If you absolutely can't get that, though, then it Might Be worth it. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:28:23 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Special Edition (or what ever it's called) Message-ID: <19990124.102906.4590.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. > Does any one know what the extra tracks on the $30 version of JH are? >I know that there are some live tracks, but that's just about all I >know. Also, are these the same as on STD, or are they different live >versions? there are six tracks on the JH Australian Tour Edition (i think that's it): 1) Don't Let's Start - a rather boring version, sounds like they were plodding through it just to get it done. 2) Ana Ng - quite possibly the WORST version i've ever heard of this song. it's the same as on STD w/o the cool intro. 3) The Statue Got Me High - probably the reason to buy this CD. very nice on the horns and vocals, the only song they sounded like they were in to. 4) Particle Man - ehh. 5) Birdhouse - same as the STD, only the STD version was mixed better. 6) Twisting - an all right song. makes a nice closer for a mix tape. basically, if you already have JH, don't spend the extra 30 bucks. search around for the actual copy of Live In NYC or get a bootleg from Jordon or TDK. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Random Simpsons Quote "My car get 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way i likes it!" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990124160454.5861.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:04:54 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: TMBG: THMB: Apollo 18 Hello All, I was looking through my friends CDs yesterday, and I noticed that her Apollo 18 CD had silver writing on it. My CD looks exactly the same, but it has black writing on it. Does anybody know why there are 2 different CDs??? == ~Connie~ "You've got two coconut halves and you're banging them together!" ICQ: 23230905 AIM: FlansieGal My HomePage!!!: http://www.angelfire.com/oh/tmbg _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:11:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music bongo asked: << So I'm wondering, does this music travel with the band? (I kind of doubt it.) Does the band select it? (Seems possible.) What songs are the rest of you hearing before the shows? (My memory is fading but I recall they also played Tom Waits and Oingo Boingo. At another show, I remember hearing ELP's Brain Salad Surgery.) >> *grin* if it travels with the band some venues don't play it--at bogarts in cincinnati they played.. spanish music, if memory serve me, before both the opener and tmbg. it sounded more like terribly chosen muzak than anything else: perhaps some venues subscribe to more listenable muzak, or, as you mentioned, allow the band to select the recorded playlist. i can't quit remember what was played at the only other venue i've seen them (newport music hall in colombus), but i don't remember it being too remarkable. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, very sadly the sanest person on this list ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003101be47b5$9aa4d920$9cb3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: THMB: Apollo 18 Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:21:13 -0000 >"You've got two coconut halves and you're banging them together!" NI NI NI NI! Sorry people, I just HAD to say it! -- usq xxx ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003e01be47bd$8ecfb2c0$243988cf@dcg> From: "redips76" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:18:27 -0600 At the shows I attended (Dallas and Austin), they played swing music beforehand and Alice Cooper between acts. Maybe they should do a show in Kiss makeup... ;-) BTW, Jordan, thanks for the Hello recommendations. I'm always interested in broadening my musical horizons, and hell, it's $160 for a good number of CDs! Danielle ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:13:06 -0500 From: TDK Message-ID: <36AB54A1.EE29880B@cybercomm.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: re: Double Dong & TMBG Double Dong has opened for TMBG as well; I saw them together on 3/28/98 at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. -Mike Jim Kuemmerle wrote: >not so strange, i'm thinking, considering how mono puff played with double >dong. ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901241754.MAA22391@pop.snet.net> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:50:09 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mix Tape! > > Uh. No Istanbul. I thoroughly hate that song and am embaressed of it. In S.S. > class, every day we did anything about Ancient Rome and Constantine (or > Constantinople) I would get the mocking tone of that song. This was about a > half of a semester. Thank god it's over now. You don't know what it's like to > think, "You need more TMBG in your lives, stupid fools! Not just that annoying > song!" why? that's all i ask. and it's not even why are elephants flying around in pink underwear? and it's not why does my bagel bite my nose? it's why do people DO this? so what if a lot of people know and/or like Istanbul. i think it's still a neat-o song. why get hung up on the fact that other people that aren't as dedicated to TMBG or dictionaries as you happen to like it, too? in MY history class, we just did the same sort of thing, learning about Constantine and the fall of the Roman Empire and so of course Constantinople gets mentioned. but it wasn't some annoying, drooling idiot in my class that started singing it... I did. ha. now THAT'S some chicken soup for your pencil. jen Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:16:21 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music Message-ID: <19990124.111924.3958.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >BTW, Jordan, thanks for the Hello recommendations. I'm always >interested in broadening my musical horizons, and hell, it's $160 for >a >good number of CDs! they sold out of '93 ages ago tho... i doubt you'll really end up paying $160. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990124132528.0071b910@goshen.edu> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:25:28 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Thank You At 04:13 PM 1/23/99 +0000, you wrote: > > >Amanda Heggen wrote: > >> I just wanted to say 'thank you' to whoever it was that posted the message >> about TMBG's concert in Ohio next weekend. Thanks to you, I will be seeing >> Them for the first time ever, and I've been waiting 9 years for this (since >> sixth grade). I can't tell you thanks enough. Thank you thank you thank >> you. My stomach is getting all knotty from excitement already. >> ~Amanda > >Whoa, I just joined the list a couple of days ago. Could you send me this >message? I am planning on going to this concert, but any extra information >would be great! Thanks! > > >Diana All the information you need is at: http://www.otterbein.edu/calendar/giants.htm I can't wait! ~Amanda > > ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:08:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: THMB: Apollo 18 In a message dated 1/24/99 11:08:01 AM, tmbg2040@yahoo.com writes: >Hello All, > I was looking through my friends CDs yesterday, and I noticed that >her Apollo 18 CD had silver writing on it. My CD looks exactly the >same, but it has black writing on it. Does anybody know why there are >2 different CDs??? > > mine is silver with white writing on it. so..... there. sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <8d15025.36ab7658@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:36:56 EST Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Mix Tape! jen said: why? that's all i ask. and it's not even why are elephants flying around in pink underwear? and it's not why does my bagel bite my nose? it's why do people DO this? so what if a lot of people know and/or like Istanbul. i think it's still a neat-o song. why get hung up on the fact that other people that aren't as dedicated to TMBG or dictionaries as you happen to like it, too? in MY history class, we just did the same sort of thing, learning about Constantine and the fall of the Roman Empire and so of course Constantinople gets mentioned. but it wasn't some annoying, drooling idiot in my class that started singing it... I did. ha. now THAT'S some chicken soup for your pencil. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------ It's not the fact that I don't like them only knowing that song. It's the fact that I hear that song everyday anyway (from my computer's sounds) and when I play Flood, I'm stuck listening to it. (I still only have my original Flood tape and I'm too much of a lazy bum to fast forward.) Not only do they know the song in my class, everyone does. It's like a big chorus. Istanbul, not Constantinople, now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople..... I started singing it the first time also. By the 200th time, it was annoying. Samantha, whose pencil does not enjoy chicken soup all that much ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <2cfd0091.36ab782a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:44:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Mix Tape! In a message dated 1/24/99 2:40:22 PM, IamSam98@aol.com writes: >I started singing it the first time also. By the 200th time, it was annoying. the same thing happened to me with my mom and sister OVERPLAYING moxy fruvous's "bargainville" ... i mean, jesus.. i used to like the cd. if i have to hear "stuck in the 90's" once more.. oiy vey.. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:59:39 -0500 (EST) From: Nub Subject: TMBG: WKTU Message-id: this isn't exactly tmbg-related, but it is lincoln-related (the band, not the album). driving up from NYC a couple weeks ago, i found myself listening to WKTU, which i can only assume is the same WKTU that the truck driver guy has "pumpin'" on "sucker." can anyone tell me anything about this radio station? it seemed pretty cool and eclectic when i heard it - but i can see how it could have been mainstream/pop as well. anyone a KTU fan? anyone know of any other connection to lincoln/tmbg? by the way, "lincoln" (the self-titled album from the band) is VERY VERY good, if you haven't heard it already. i haven't heard much mention of them lately, so i thought i'd put in a plug. -nub ps. i've been hearing talk of leffel for two years now, so i'm pretty excited to actually see him back on the list. ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <104b0fd6.36ab7cf9@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:05:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: duh In a message dated 99-01-24 00:51:07 EST, vlad_drakul@geocities.com writes: > By the way... is it me, or is it JUST the newbies complaining that they don' > t like the Leffel phenomenon? No, it's just that, for WHATEVER'S sake, Mike Leffel is a mere human. He is not a demi-god. He is not the God Of Cool. He may be the King Of Swing, but that's a different story. *I* was just sort of bugged in that, this Mike character makes *A* post, not even a *relevant* post, and the entire list acts like the Johns themselves had joined the list, and, in thanks, were putting all our names in a song on the next album. One other thing, I *think* it was LDB, I forget, but at *NO* point did I, EmarZero@aol.com EVER assume that everyone on this list was a "christian." I was using the Second Coming as an example. Nothing more, nothing less. I personally don't expect it, although it would make a nice Super Bowl halftime show. To the Cafrugal. 'Mar. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990124151642.0093e670@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:17:18 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:Lincoln (the band) At 02:59 PM 1/24/99, Nub wrote: > >by the way, "lincoln" (the self-titled album from the band) is VERY VERY >good, if you haven't heard it already. i haven't heard much mention of >them lately, so i thought i'd put in a plug. They've broken up. Chris will hopefully be releasing a solo album soon, though. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <99d215e8.36ab80c3@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:21:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: duh In a message dated 99-01-24 15:06:38 EST, EmarZero@aol.com writes: << No, it's just that, for WHATEVER'S sake, Mike Leffel is a mere human. He is not a demi-god. He is not the God Of Cool. He may be the King Of Swing, but that's a different story. *I* was just sort of bugged in that, this Mike character makes *A* post, not even a *relevant* post, and the entire list acts like the Johns themselves had joined the list, and, in thanks, were putting all our names in a song on the next album. >> eh. to many persons subscribed to this list, leffel is more than mere human: he's an addition which brings light to most, and--though i'm not by any means acquainted with him--i shan't attempt, as any asshole would, to rain on their long-awaited parade by incessantly commenting that this well-loved man is undeserved of their attentions. granted, this is a tmbg list. that i concede: if it weren't for tmbg, none of us would be here, and for that i am grateful. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:28:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: duh In a message dated 99-01-24 15:24:15 EST, RabbiVole@aol.com writes: > incessantly commenting that this well-loved man is > undeserved of their attentions. I'm not sayin' *jack* about Leffel himself, it's just that, when I get on to check my mail, and I've got 20-30 letters all about this Mike dude, it starts to piss one off. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:31:52 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: duh In a message dated 1/24/99 3:29:43 PM, EmarZero@aol.com writes: >I'm not sayin' *jack* about Leffel himself, it's just that, when I get >on to >check my mail, and I've got 20-30 letters all about this Mike dude, it >starts >to piss one off. we're just having fun. we're just havin' a good time! it's nice to take as many breaks from being serious as possible. tha's what tmbg's all about, baby. sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/ "i believe in peace and love, baby. you got a problem with peace and love?" - conan o'brien ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:45:15 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: WKTU Message-ID: On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Nub wrote: > by the way, "lincoln" (the self-titled album from the band) is VERY VERY > good, if you haven't heard it already. i haven't heard much mention of > them lately, so i thought i'd put in a plug. Well, what a coincidence... I just busted out my dub of Lincoln (taken from Justin the Cool Freshman's album last year) yesterday. I love that album; someday I should buy it for real. Although, you've gotta admit, a tape with Lincoln on one side and Wally Pleasant's Wally World on the other is a damn good tape. Kirsten "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:04:34 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music In a message dated 1/24/99 11:13:49 AM, RabbiVole@aol.com writes: >if it travels with the band some venues don't play it--at bogarts in >cincinnati they played.. spanish music, if memory serve me, before both >the >opener and tmbg. it sounded more like terribly chosen muzak than anything >else: perhaps some venues subscribe to more listenable muzak, or, as you >mentioned, allow the band to select the recorded playlist. lesssseee.. a couple times when i saw them, it was ... well, after i got an esquivel cd, i realized that must have been what they were playing.. or something very similar. another time, it was 70's funk. so. i've heard that bands do in fact pick the music that plays though. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990124155035.0093b450@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:51:44 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music At 02:04 PM 1/24/99, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >lesssseee.. a couple times when i saw them, it was ... well, after i got an >esquivel cd, i realized that must have been what they were playing.. or >something very similar. A *lot* of Esquivel was playing before the show in Atlanta last October....I remember a few other songs, like "Son Of A Preacher Man", where apparently I was the only person not singing along.... -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:20:13 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Dream!? Good Lord! Message-id: <36AB8E8C.1266@wmich.edu> >Most people see Flansburgh as the outgoing >and happy John. While they see Linnell as the John who won't talk to >fans as much, is dark in personality i agree, i have a friend who met them. He talked to Flansie quiet a bit, but i guess Linnell wasn't so friendly and willing > Believe me I love Linnell, his Evil (in a GOOD way) eye thrills my >very heart. But in my dreams he is the happy-go-lucky outgoing one who >"knows" I have a big crush on him. hehe hhehehehe.... you too eh? ~Sarah "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:29:52 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: WKTU Message-ID: <19990124.155322.3758.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >this isn't exactly tmbg-related, but it is lincoln-related (the band, >not >the album) I have a question... anyone heard anything from chris temple lately? has he found a new band? last i heard Rick Rivera (tmbg's super-fly roadie) was gonna hook up with him and start recording some stuff. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <24JAN99.19602533.0040.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:09:01 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts > wouldn't it be contradictory to post complaining about off-topic >posts? i mean, if you were to do so, wouldn't you be contributing to >the off-topic posts because complaining about off-topic posts >certainly has nothing to do with TMBG... or spaghetti for that >matter. and whoever DARES to insult the spaghetti is sure to get a >whipping... i mean, we ALL know THAT... > Yeah, it would be like if somebody wrote an op-ed piece in a newspaper complaining about op-ed pieces. Misty ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901242336.SAA11104@pop.snet.net> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:32:31 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: duh > In a message dated 99-01-24 15:24:15 EST, RabbiVole@aol.com writes: > > > incessantly commenting that this well-loved man is > > undeserved of their attentions. > > I'm not sayin' *jack* about Leffel himself, it's just that, when I get on to > check my mail, and I've got 20-30 letters all about this Mike dude, it starts > to piss one off. > yeah yeah yeah... why don't you go cry? i mean, don't you think it also ticks one off when all they read is a bunch of ANTI-mike posts? eh? EH? yeah yeah yeah. and don't you think it also starts to make people want to cry when the bread tries to mate with the kitchen table? ever think of that? i didn't think so. mike leffel is as much a part of the tmbg list as tmbg themselves. live with it or go fry carrots. jen any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <5f6fea27.36abafff@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:42:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: duh > posts? eh? EH? yeah yeah yeah. and don't you think it also starts > to make people want to cry when the bread tries to mate with the > kitchen table? ever think of that? i didn't think so. > > mike leffel is as much a part of the tmbg list as tmbg themselves. > live with it or go fry carrots. I love crazy Trombonists. -Samantha ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <70c5b310.36abb2f0@aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:55:28 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: duh In a message dated 99-01-24 18:45:56 EST, IamSam98@aol.com writes: > and don't you think it also starts > > to make people want to cry when the bread tries to mate with the > > kitchen table? ever think of that? i didn't think so. > > Actually, yeah, that scares me shitless. Ever SEEN that? Frickin' CREEPY. Anyway, the general sentiment I'm picking up from the list *appears* to be "What? You're not willing to worship Mike until after you've SEEN him? You bastard!" Either that or, "Dancing Paperclip, you are evil, " I haven't decided. As it stands, I've seen nothing of this Mike Leffel either here and now, OR in the digests, (yeah, I went back and read 'em, so THERE.) that makes me believe the hype. When I believe the hype, you'll know. Emar, wondering if he should bother even sticking around.... ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901250016.TAA14091@pop.snet.net> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:12:47 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: duh I wrote- > > and don't you think it also starts > > > to make people want to cry when the bread tries to mate with the > > > kitchen table? ever think of that? i didn't think so. > > > and then some wierd guy who's all ticked off about something wrote- > Actually, yeah, that scares me shitless. Ever SEEN that? Frickin' CREEPY. > no no m'dear... it's called the miracle of life. if everything works out the way it was intended, you get yourself a baby bread table! > Anyway, the general sentiment I'm picking up from the list *appears* to be > "What? You're not willing to worship Mike until after you've SEEN him? You > bastard!" Either that or, "Dancing Paperclip, you are evil, " I haven't > decided. As it stands, I've seen nothing of this Mike Leffel either here and > now, OR in the digests, (yeah, I went back and read 'em, so THERE.) that makes > me believe the hype. When I believe the hype, you'll know. no one is asking you to look back, see those things and then worship Mike. the point to telling you to go stick your head in a pot of boiling water is so that we can all have fried cabbage. the point to having people who weren't around go back and take a peek is so that they can better themselves, see maybe why this guy was nifty and neat-o, and stop complaining about it. people don't actually BELIEVE he's a demi-god. duh. he is a full fledged God : ) MWAHAHAHA! no, really. everyone is being silly. leffel celebrates awful silliness. and pink towels. > Emar, wondering if he should bother even sticking around.... > pliers stick to the ceiling when you throw them real hard. jen Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:00:36 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: duh Message-ID: On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 EmarZero@aol.com wrote: > Anyway, the general sentiment I'm picking up from the list *appears* to be > "What? You're not willing to worship Mike until after you've SEEN him? You > bastard!" Either that or, "Dancing Paperclip, you are evil, " I haven't > decided. Obviously, you haven't listened to anything I've said in my private emails, so all my attempts at preventing your from making a complete and utter fool of yourself are in vain. G'night. Kirsten "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:13:48 -0500 (EST) From: Thomas Murphy Subject: TMBG: Eugene Chadbourne items Message-ID: In my quest for all things relationed to TMBG, I have discovered many bands and artists that find the way to my CD changer repeatedly: Soul Coughing, Frank Black and a few others. But Eugene Chadbourne.... I just don't get it. So i am offering the few Eugene items i have found listed below for sale or trade. Make me any offer. I'm sure there is some TMBG completeist that needs this stuff. (If you don't think this is pertinent to the list, Eugene was the phoned in guitarist on the solo in "Absolutly Bills' Mood" on the Pink LP. So delete this now or look at it as a partial Eugene Chabourne discography.) Cassettes: PLC-7 Eugene Chadbourne- Dear eugene, What you did was not very nice so..Kill Eugene contains side one 1.Ollie's Playhouse 2. How can you kill me. I'm already dead 3. 8 miles high 4.Woman against Porno 5. Purple Haze acoustic 6. The plunger 7. Oh Yoko/Wichita train 8.Ramblin Man. 9. I must have ben blind Side 2 1. Big boys with little balls 2. Lucifer sam 3. Price of Paradise 4. In the cemetary 5. Monk Medley 6. Permanent Lonely 7. Secret of the Cooler. Released in 1987 Cave 68 The Doctor Eugene Chadbourne- I've been Everywhere contains side one 1.The ring 2. It takes longer saying yes than saying no 3.You still live with Mom and dad 4. The liar song 5. Too damn bad 6. Buck owens medley 7. My heart skips a beat. side two 1.we keep the KKK in line 2. the mountain men 3. oil platform 4. I've been everywhere 5. Neurologically impaired leaders Release date unknown Cave 7 Eugene Chadbourne - Country protest contains side one 1. Medley in C 2. The wild Angels 3. A bottle labeled Losers 4. Convention of Mercenaries side two 1.Fightin' side of me 2. W. Va. Spec 3. New car song 4. Universal soldier 5. her name is 6. Answer the phone 7. Perverts on Northridge 8. Choppin down weeds release date unknown CDs Hello Hel37 Eugene Chadbourne contains 1.Hello Medley 1 (Escape from Straitjacket, Escape from Life, One Dyin' and Buryin', Nefertiti) 2.People Will Vote 3.Hello Medley 2 (One Dyin' and Buryin' (reprise), Mickey, Ducks On The Pond 4. Dreamt I Was Young Again 5.Another Needle Since released 1993 Hymn 7 Eugene Cadbourne with Camper Van Beethoven -Camper Van Chadbourne contains 1.Reason to belive 2. i talk to the wind 3. fayettenam 4. evil Filthy Preacher 5. Games people play 6. Zappa Medley 7. Balue Bolivar Balues Are 8. Boy with the coins. 9. Ballad of Easy rider 10. Psychadelic Basement 11. HumAllah HumAllah 12. Careful with that Axe Eugene 13. Balue Bolivar (slight return) 14. They can make it rain bombs. Want list: I have all TMBG /Mono Puff singles, boots vids so I don't need any TMBG (except the sampledelic Racist Friend remix) , but am always looking for the obscure (and not so obscure),CD s from Devo, Breeders/Pixies, The Who, Bowie, Mott the Hoople, jesus and Mary Chain, or any artists connected with these perfomers. Welcome back Leffel! *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. S.L.C. 1884 Thomas Murphy a010879t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:03:21 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Rock and Roll Jeopardy Message-ID: <28804-36ABD0E9-1157@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-1404328489-518 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Ya, I remember that episode. The category I believe was called: In the "House" (all the questions/answers involved houses). Anyway, the question was... "This They Might Be Giants song talks about a blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch," & of course, the answer was Birdhouse in your Soul. What surprised me the most about that was not to see them ask a question about TMBG, but that one of the contestants actually knew the answer. me, Dexburger www.coincide.com/nerfherder --WebTV-Mail-1404328489-518 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit --WebTV-Mail-1404328489-518 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-101-3.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.99) by postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net; Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:44:32 -0800 (PST) Return-Path: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [209.249.97.242]) by mailsorter-101-3.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.graham.14Aug97) with ESMTP id TAA25329; Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:44:31 -0800 (PST) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id WAA01546; Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:44:02 -0500 (EST) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:43:59 -0500 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id WAA01530 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:43:59 -0500 (EST) Received: from mailer.syr.edu (mailer.syr.edu [128.230.18.29]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id WAA01521 for ; Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:43:56 -0500 (EST) Received: from gamera.syr.edu by mailer.syr.edu (LSMTP for Windows NT v1.1a) with SMTP id <0.BDB08E30@mailer.syr.edu>; Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:43:05 -0500 Received: from localhost (jaglaste@localhost) by gamera.syr.edu (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id WAA10153 for ; Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:43:00 -0500 (EST) X-Authentication-Warning: gamera.syr.edu: jaglaste owned process doing -bs Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:42:59 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" X-Sender: jaglaste@gamera.syr.edu To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Rock and Roll Jeopardy Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: "Jason A. Glastetter" My roommate was watching RNRJeopardy & he said there was a question about TMBG (a TMBG song actually) on. He couldn't remember the question, though. jason "100% TMBG Content for the first time in a long time" glastetter ========================================= http://www.poingly.com Home of the infamous Poingly online game! ========================================= --WebTV-Mail-1404328489-518-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990125020223.1774.rocketmail@send201.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:02:23 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Sorta-TMBG: The Bobs Hello All, I just discovered a group today called The Bobs. They did an, um, interesting a capella version of Particle Man on their CD called "The Bobs Cover The Songs Of..." They also redid songs by Ray Charles, The Beatles, Grateful Dead, and a few others. Anyway, on the back cover of the CD, where they give credit to the people who wrote the songs, they wrote "John Flansburgh and John Linnel." John LINNEL??? Geez, I guess it'd be okay if they even did justice to the song, but they made it sound crappy AND mispelled John's name! It's just like in that Harvey Danger video where they mispelled Flansy's name. What do people have against the last letter of people's manes??? On a happier note, I just got Fear Of POP today. VERY COOL! I dunno...Maybe you guys will care, or maybe I'm just tired. Sorry to post off-topic again. (I know how much some of you guys hate that.) And now back to your regularly scheduled lives... == ~Connie~ I like pickles. ICQ: 23230905 AIM: FlansieGal Kewl Stuff: http://www.angelfire.com/oh/tmbg _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005201be480a$e03b2d40$9f431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pre-Show Music Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:31:53 -0500 >at bogarts in >cincinnati they played.. spanish music, bogart's... i used to live there... hehehe or you'd think i lived there for all the time i spent there... fond memories... fond memories... fondle mammaries... wow! i think i like the way i think brother john green jello ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009f01be480b$649fffc0$9f431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: Re: TMBG: Rock and Roll Jeopardy Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:35:36 -0500 anyone ever told this guy that sending binaries to a mailing list is often considered very rude and just wrong? -----Original Message----- From: Dexter Flansburgh To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sunday, January 24, 1999 9:04 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Rock and Roll Jeopardy Ya, I remember that episode. The category I believe was called: In the "House" (all the questions/answers involved houses). Anyway, the question was... "This They Might Be Giants song talks about a blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch," & of course, the answer was Birdhouse in your Soul. What surprised me the most about that was not to see them ask a question about TMBG, but that one of the contestants actually knew the answer. me, Dexburger www.coincide.com/nerfherder [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:23:31 -0700 Subject: TMBG: tmbg in the movies Message-ID: <19990124.212332.3782.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> Ed and his dead mother. what can i say? that movie was so not worth sitting through just to hear Them during the credits... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::thank you for listening to my three cents::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:16:52 -0700 Subject: Re: Sorta-TMBG: The Bobs Message-ID: <19990124.212332.3782.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Geez, I guess >it'd be okay if they even did justice to the song, but they made it >sound crappy i tend to like their version... a lot. I was introduced to the Bobs by numerous references on this list but then someone on the Fruvous NG made me a mix tape of thiers.... i was highly impressed. Anyways, the other day my friend is flipping through my CDs and stops... "you like the bobs? Richard Green is one of my parent's best friends." small world. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:35:28 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36ABF490.705CFBD@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: duh EmarZero@aol.com wrote: > I'm not sayin' *jack* about Leffel himself, it's just that, when I get on to > check my mail, and I've got 20-30 letters all about this Mike dude, it starts > to piss one off. Almost as annoying as opening your mail program and finding 20-30 messages talking about how much 1 or 2 people can't stand the idea that one person is causing such a bustle on the list, and the responses of people who disagree with that, then more rebuttals, and again, counter-rebuttals, etc, ad infinitum. Why not just accept that Leffel is back. Some people care, though you, personally may not. This is all fine and good, but why continue restating what you've already said? We understand that you don't see Leffel as a deity. Get over it and just don't read messages about him! It's a simple solution to what could otherwise add some sort of enjoyment to your otherwise pedantic life. lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob "Tip of the Iceberg Lettuce" Scott ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <12fedbd4.36ac03d6@aol.com> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 00:40:38 EST Subject: TMBG: They Might be Dreams, and Birdhouse Ok, so I had a They Dream last night. I was with a friend, and we were supposed to be doing something or something, and we were waiting for my dad to pick me us up, and we werent supposed to do anything until he did. But we were outside this large theater and I saw a sign saying They Might be Giants were playing inside right then! So we bought tickets and went inside. There was a large crowd, but only a little stage set in the right hand corner. They were playing a song, I dont know what. Linnel looked really mad, kinda surly and freakish. One of the Dan's was in front doing a dance that looked rather russian. I remembered about my dad supposed to pick us up, so I went out and used a pay phone to call him, but my dad was already there waiting for us and he was really mad. Thats the dream.. Also, has anyone else noticed the similarities to Birdhouse and "Hope is the Thing With Feathers" by Emily Dickonson? Mostly just the whole thing about a bird bieng perched in your soul. That is all. ~Batbrain ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-25 ******************************