Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 27 Wednesday, 27 January 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: current tour dates TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: current tour dates Re: Sorta-TMBG: The Bobs Re: TMBG: UK Shows - Full Set Lists -Reply Non-TMBG:TMBG-List Related:Combing the Archives TMBG: Inevitable question Re: TMBG: Inevitable question Re: Non-TMBG: Trying to call Flans(was: Dreams) Re: Non-TMBG:TMBG-List Related:Combing the Archives Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts Re: Non-TMBG:TMBG-List Related:Combing the Archives Re: TMBG: Inevitable question Re: Non-TMBG: Trying to call Flans(was: Dreams) Re:Non- TMBG: Inevitable question Re:Non- TMBG: Inevitable question TMBG: Matt's Life Savings, DAS, Children's Album, Mono Puff, Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings, DAS, Children's Album, Mono Puff,and...um...o TMBG: dreams NON TMBG: MST3K pic! Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Non-TMBG: Ben Flods Five Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five TMBG: Apollo 18 and Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: Non- TMBG: Inevitable question Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! TMBG: johns parents numbers??? Re: NON TMBG: MST3K pic! Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: johns parents numbers??? Re: TMBG: johns parents numbers??? Re: TMBG: johns parents numbers??? TMBG: 11 hours of STD Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:28:24 -0500 From: rachel Message-ID: <36AC9BA8.34A9@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: current tour dates does anyone have anymore info on the otterbien college show on the 29th, like how to get there from i270? sorry if it's already been posted and i missed it. by the way, who's touring with them? thankees. meow, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:34:48 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36ACC757.CDA7D4@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! I'm not referring to any of you as Honey, nor am I home, but I'm just curious about the theme to this somewhat non-extraordinary Nikelodeon sitcom of the early 90's. Was the theme by TMBG? I only ask because I believe I saw a song by TMBG called "Hi Honey, I'm Home" on some ftp text list, and just assumed it to be one and the same with the theme. Any light shone on this matter would be most appreciated. lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob "Icelandic Honeyweek has been cancelled!" Scott ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 02:21:34 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: current tour dates In a message dated 99-01-26 02:19:28 EST, meow@TMBG.ORG writes: << does anyone have anymore info on the otterbien college show on the 29th, like how to get there from i270? >> Check out http://www.mapquest.com for directions from wherever you are..and then double check with someone who knows how to get there, because mapquest has been known to give slightly wrong directions before :) jennifer ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990126022121.0099b5d0@pop3.scott.net> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 02:32:19 -0600 From: Halsted Mencotti Bernard Subject: Re: Sorta-TMBG: The Bobs At 06:02 PM 1/24/99 -0800, Happy Cow wrote: >Hello All, > I just discovered a group today called The Bobs. They did an, um, >interesting a capella version of Particle Man on their CD called "The >Bobs Cover The Songs Of..." They also redid songs by Ray Charles, The >Beatles, Grateful Dead, and a few others. Anyway, on the back cover of >the CD, where they give credit to the people who wrote the songs, they >wrote "John Flansburgh and John Linnel." John LINNEL??? Geez, I guess >it'd be okay if they even did justice to the song, but they made it >sound crappy AND mispelled John's name! [snip] I've been a Bobs fan for several years now -- saw them once live in Chicago -- and I can assure you that their talent makes up for whatever Wrath of the Typo Gods they've incurred with this heinous act. ;o) If you haven't heard The Bobs before, feel free to e-me and I'll make some recommendations. Any other Boobs fans out there? Er, I meant Bobs -- whoops. _Halsted._ [ halsted@pobox.com ] - [ http://www.pobox.com/~halsted/ ] - [ icq 1275457 ] [ less-than-new lurkergrrl; be gentle, or don't and suffer no consequences ] ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 8:53:45 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: UK Shows - Full Set Lists -Reply Excellent idea - but Russ is based in the USA so can you please supply us people in the UK from the UK! Richard still mentally singing along to spiralling shape from Monday before last >>> "Scot.Westwood@m.cc.utah.edu" 25/January/1999 10:16pm >>> If you send a copy of your videotape to Russ, I'm sure He'll do the work of making it available to the list. Go Russ!!! On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Joe Keith wrote: ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:04:37 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36AD9335.F79DACA4@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Non-TMBG:TMBG-List Related:Combing the Archives Country Time. A harmless lemonade-like beverage available in several forms. How is it that it came to have a rather... ahem... "special" meaning on the TMBG list? Was the... ahem... "special" meaning gathered from someplace else, or did someone on the list think up the... ahem... "special" usage for the word? Spending nearly an hour in the archives, my proverbial purple toupee spinning in circles with confusion, I could find only brief mentions of Country Time. You don't need to go into the meaning... I already know that. But what's the story behind it? That is my question to you, oh Bridgekeeper! lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob "ahem...ahem...ahem...Country Time..." Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:01:25 +1100 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19990114015158.1bc73f5e@mail.hinet.net.au> From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Inevitable question >recognized by Sarah as one of her favorite (and she even spelled it with a >"u"!) subject headings. Jeez...that sounded sarcastic. It wasn't, I Bill, when you say Sarah spelled it with a "u", what are you implying? You're both American, right? -Ryan --- More music! Less money! 18/01/99: Back To The Future Part II: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (German LP) Frente!: Marvin The Album (Australian CD) TISM: Collected Recordings 1986-93 (Australian 4CD box set) 22/01/99: They Might Be Giants: S-E-X-X-Y (US promo CD) ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 06:59:59 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Inevitable question Message-ID: <19990126.070014.17206.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Bill, when you say Sarah spelled it with a "u", what are you >implying? You're both American, right? it implies that they're both americans that can spell! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990126150614.00e2e5c4@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:06:14 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Trying to call Flans(was: Dreams) >member when DAS.com was just "registered" someone got a phone number off >of it and called it up and asked for Flansburgh... anyone know what i'm >talking about? well, what i was wondering... who did it? and does anyone >remember (want to dig through the archives) and recap the entire >conversation? I remember this. I recall that someone answered who, I believe, either told them that Flans didn't live there or that Flans wasn't there right now. In any case, the person calling let them know how they got the number, I think, and that was pretty much the entire conversation. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:47:21 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:TMBG-List Related:Combing the Archives Message-ID: On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > Country Time. A harmless lemonade-like beverage available in several > forms. How is it that it came to have a rather... ahem... "special" > meaning on the TMBG list? Was the... ahem... "special" meaning gathered > from someplace else, or did someone on the list think up the... ahem... > "special" usage for the word? It's sort of a long story, and it really only involves myself, Leffel, and Elitza, a since-disappeared member of the list. It all started with a long thread on Led Zeppelin and the musical merits of said band.. I can't remember if it was in a private or list email, but Elitza was talking about the sexual innuendoes in "The Lemon Song." Y'know, "Squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg." Mike said something to the effect of, "Yum yum! Country Time for everyone!" and it sort of became a running joke betwixt Elitza, Mike, and myself that occasionally surfaced on the list. And now you know, as Paul Harvey would say, The Rest of the Story. BTW, if anyone EVER hears anything from Elitza or even ABOUT an Elitza Nicolaou, please tell me 'cause we very suddenly lost contact and I don't know where she is, and I miss her a lot. Kirsten "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990126170534.17712.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:05:34 PST Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 25-Jan-99 Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic >posts by KdsInThHal@aol.com >> actually, the way they feel about ... erm.. us? i think they'd >> rather we make >> off topic posts. ;P > >The whole mailing list/newsgroup idea makes Linnell "uncomfortable," >as >he says in a song about it. > >Oh wait, I only *think* it's about that... > And which song would this be? The first song that comes to mind when I think of the word "uncomfortable" is "Window," and I guess that could be about a mailing list. In fact, considering how few lyrics that song has, it could probably be interpreted as being about almost anything. Of course, we all know that it's REALLY about being marooned on a planet of giant radioactive lobsters, while armed with nothing but an orange. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (crouching in the valley, woken by the Sally Army's Sunday march 'round) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990126170934.20766.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:09:33 PST Jen wrote: >> > wouldn't it be contradictory to post complaining about >> >off-topic >> >posts? i mean, if you were to do so, wouldn't you be contributing >> >to >> >the off-topic posts because complaining about off-topic posts >> >certainly has nothing to do with TMBG... or spaghetti for that >> >matter. >> >> Okay. What about this? >> >> John and John wouldn't like the fact that you're making off-topic >> posts. > >ha. how do you know, mr hot shot i have a banana on my head.... >for all you know, the johns could make a hefty profit selling belly >button lint to a chinese guy down at the corner. It was just an example. Besides, I don't have a banana on my head. That's a squash. >> Or, even better: >> >> I think that "Don't Let's Start" is about not sending off-topic >>posts to >> mailing lists. Either that or spaghetti. > >nooooooo... DLS is about communist prostitutes with mustaches >in central park. duh-uh. Actually, it's about bologna sandwiches. John himself told me this, when I visited him at his summer home on the planet Orgrexx-5. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (bouncing off an ocean liner, make 'em shake 'em in Siam) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:17:30 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:TMBG-List Related:Combing the Archives In a message dated 1/26/99 5:04:11 AM, lemoncurry@hotbot.com writes: > Country Time. A harmless lemonade-like beverage available in several >forms. have you ever eaten that stuff raw? iick! wow.. that can become rather addicting.. sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <70cb03a6.36ae1586@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:20:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Inevitable question In a message dated 1/26/99 6:02:24 AM, ryanm@hinet.net.au writes: > > Bill, when you say Sarah spelled it with a "u", what are you >implying? You're both American, right? > yes. ;) i've got a habit of spelling things with a u where it sounds like they belong.. i also slip into a canadian accent accidentally at times.. ("what's that all aBOOT?") it's kinda scary, and i'm struggling to get back to my american roots, but it's not easy. ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:22:36 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Trying to call Flans(was: Dreams) In a message dated 1/26/99 10:04:58 AM, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu writes: >I remember this. I recall that someone answered who, I believe, either >told >them that Flans didn't live there or that Flans wasn't there right now. > In >any case, the person calling let them know how they got the number, I think, >and that was pretty much the entire conversation. > ohh! wasn't it... buckland? sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990126150118.0084d8f0@goshen.edu> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:01:18 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Re:Non- TMBG: Inevitable question >i've got a habit of spelling things with a u where it sounds like they >belong.. i also slip into a canadian accent accidentally at times.. ("what's >that all aBOOT?") it's kinda scary, and i'm struggling to get back to my >american roots, but it's not easy. ;) > >sarah > That's funny, my newest goal has been to break away from my american roots and become as Canadian as possible. We must fight our american blood, eh? Don't fight the urge, keep up the accidental 'aBOOT's. C'mon, Sarah, don't let me down. ~Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:05:03 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re:Non- TMBG: Inevitable question Message-ID: On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Amanda Heggen wrote: > That's funny, my newest goal has been to break away from my american roots > and become as Canadian as possible. We must fight our american blood, eh? > Don't fight the urge, keep up the accidental 'aBOOT's. C'mon, Sarah, > don't let me down. embrace your inner canuck! play fruvous, joni mitchell, and oscar peterson as loudly and as often as possible! buy drag city albums! (they're made in canada, you know...) --jim kuemmerle, who's slowly realizing that drag city is his 2nd favorite label of all time (behind blue note, of course)... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:14:07 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings, DAS, Children's Album, Mono Puff, > Well, TMBG have yet to release their new (studio) album, Matt's Life > Savings. I'm still waiting in anticipation. Is this truly the title? Has this news been confirmed? And seperately...Are they actually releasing a chlidren's album? I heard Them on NPR's Talk of the Nation and They said this, but They didn't sound serious...They made a comment about how They were going to release it and then record an "adult version" with "explicit lyrics". :) They then explained this joke by commenting that if some people think Their real music is (or is appropriate) for children, what would be on Their childrens' album? So I'm in the dark, as you can tell. Based on the various info collected by kind people willing to give their opinion, I think I'm going to buy "IFTS" as my first official Mono Puff purchase. Just out of curiosity, has ANYONE seen Hello the Band or Mono Puff's "Hal Cragin Years" at any store, anywhere? I doubt it. (It's not even on CDnow OR gemm.com...which probably means no.) LOL...first time I tried to call Dial-a-Song, it was the wrong number (considering the first album I bought was Apollo 18). It was funny. I had no idea whether I would get a recording, or someone would answer, or anything. I got this "Hello?" And I said, "Umm...hi...is this...um...they might be giants' dial-a-song?" The person said "No!" And I said, "Um, ok, thank y--" *click* Speaking of the Dial-a-Song, anyone know if The damn Feel-Good Sublet is off of there? I haven't had a chance to call (either that or I keep forgetting, which is more likely). I hope They've changed it. And now, the full lyrics (or at least what I can remember) of "I Paid My Money" from Fear of Pop, the best song on the album: I paid my money, and I'm gonna see all the movie I paid my money, and I'm gonna see all the movie And it's gonna be good I'm tellin' you people it's gonna be real good 'Cause I paid my money, I paid my money I see people leaving early...they don't know what they're missin'! They don't know what they're missin' They're missing half the movie And I will not be screwed I will not be screwed like the people leaving early 'Cause I paid my money, I paid my money! I paid! I paid! I paid! I paid! Ramalama-ding-dong-shoobop-shoobop-shoobop... There's a place I go (?) where they give pain for free And if I ask for more, I don't pay my money It's this terrible pain, and it's all for free! And if I ask for more, they're gonna give it to me... I thought all you Giantheads might appreciate that, now go buy the album. Also, you'd better take Bongo up on his "Lincoln" offer. It's an excellent album. I used to have it. --Spencer, who likes to relax on his hands, knees, and face ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:18:46 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings, DAS, Children's Album, Mono Puff,and...um...other stuff In a message dated 1/26/99 3:08:28 PM, SOwen@windwardschool.org writes: >> Well, TMBG have yet to release their new (studio) album, Matt's Life >> Savings. I'm still waiting in anticipation. > >Is this truly the title? Has this news been confirmed? nope. :) it's another old thread resurfacing.. i don't remember exactly how it started or ended, but i know it involved our friend matt james and his life savings. >I will not be screwed like the people leaving early thank you! i couldn't figure that one out. :) i can't figure out if that or "in love" is my favourite track.. oh! and you can see the entire fear of pop conan performance on the fleming and john website.. www.flemingandjohn.com? >I thought all you Giantheads might appreciate that, now go buy the album. >Also, you'd better take Bongo up on his "Lincoln" offer. It's an excellent >album. I used to have it. > yes yes yes. :) i'll throw in a reccommedation too.. the superfriendz... sometimes they sound like fruvous on 45, sometimes they sound like lincoln.... :) sarah "i'm telling you people it's gonan be good 'cause i paid my money." - ben folds ------------------------------ From: FID889@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:47:15 EST Subject: TMBG: dreams hey, others seem to be telling their little TMBG dreams, so i figured i would also. Now i do not often remember dreams, so this is especially odd. I am going to not tell all of the specifics as i forget some and therefor it would be extra confusing. ok. Me and two friends of mine went to the park (i do not know if we knew They were going to be there) and we went down this hill and walked through the crowed to a part sectioned off for media (as it was being taped) and sat down. Then we started watching a basketball game with people in bright shiny comstumes (w/ linnell on their team, in normal clothes) and the other tame in pastels (w/ flans also in normal clothes). and they were playing on the grass and then we all just joined in and there was a producer in head phones running around and no one actually shot the ball. there. megan "I'm a good little boy" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:41:39 -0500 Subject: NON TMBG: MST3K pic! Message-ID: <19990126.154151.-159629.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Hey all you Mystery Science Theatre Fans, Wwho would like to see a kick a** picture of Joel Robinson, I know your out there :D Send any requests privately as to not clutter up the list, k' Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:23:20 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jan-99 Re: TMBG: TMBG-off topic posts by Nathan M. DeHoff@hotmail > And which song would this be? The first song that comes to mind when I > think of the word "uncomfortable" is "Window," and I guess that could be > about a mailing list. In fact, considering how few lyrics that song That would be the song. Linnell uses a Mac, so everything appears in a window... it could be more about the web (a catalog of many women, men, the window...) or something... but you're right, that with as few lyrics as the song has, it could be about anything... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990126164023.0092ac00@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:47:16 -0500 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! > I view 'Turn Around' >as an eerie song, and if anyone says it's quirky, I hit them repeatedly in the >nose, seeing as this usually makes them turn around rather quickly, and then I >shout out "Was that quirky? Was that quirky!?" as they drop through the void. I'm not sure exactly how I would describe the song. However, I'd like to point out the funniest lyric I've ever heard is "I was out by myself in the graveyard. I was doing an interpretive dance." Come on, is there any other lyric on the planet the can maintain it's funniness for as long and with such an intensity like that? I always imagine some gangly, pale white guy, in a black leotard, with some weird animal noises tape blasting from a boombox dancing jerkily on someone's grave right next to an open plot. It is pure genius. Ben "I think you're shit, you little turd dropper"-Fear of Pop Take A Gander, part 2 http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/lights/5364 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990126214627.12214.rocketmail@send202.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:46:27 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Non-TMBG: Ben Flods Five Hello All, I was just wondering if anyone here knew of piano songbooks for BF5. I've just recently gotten into them, and I'd love to learn that stuff on the piano! ...And now back to your regularly scheduled lives.... == ~Connie~ "In walked the man in the shape of a man, Holding a hat shaped hat"-Ani DiFranco ICQ: 23230905 AIM: FlansieGal Kewl Stuff: http://www.angelfire.com/oh/tmbg _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:14:28 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36AE3E44.D08E5E02@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! > > > I view 'Turn Around' > >as an eerie song, and if anyone says it's quirky, I hit them repeatedly in > the > >nose, seeing as this usually makes them turn around rather quickly, and > then I > >shout out "Was that quirky? Was that quirky!?" as they drop through the void. > > > I'm not sure exactly how I would describe the song. However, I'd like to > point out the funniest lyric I've ever heard is "I was out by myself in the > graveyard. I was doing an interpretive dance." I admit it has some very intensely, rolling on the floor, laughing, grabbing your neighbor's parakeet by the tail and knocking out the local power grid-type comedy in it, but it's just not quirky :P I wasn't being entirely serious in my previous post, in case anyone out there thinks I really do go up to people and punch them just because they say such and such about a song I like. Unless that song... is the famous... Mr. Klaw! (Not the Kraw, the Kraw!) lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob "Would you believe 3 baskets of dry noodles and a pretzel?" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36AE00B6.2F690B59@osu.edu> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:51:54 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Ben Folds Five Happy Cow wrote: > Hello All, > I was just wondering if anyone here knew of piano songbooks for BF5. > I've just recently gotten into them, and I'd love to learn that stuff > on the piano! > Me too! I have heard that there isn't any sheet music available anywhere, and I've never found it. But once someone sent me an email because somehow they found out that I liked BF5, and apparently he is a college music major who writes out BF5 music, and basically anything else you want (maybe TMBG? :-) ). He charges $2-3 per song. His email address is NFDDarb@aol.com, and his web page is http://members.aol.com/NFDDarb/indexhome.html. The web page might not work, especially if you're not using aol, so you could probably email him and get the info. I haven't yet ordered music from him, so I don't know how well written or accurate/detailed the music is. Speaking of Ben Folds Five, I'd just like to say that I found out about Ben Folds' new solo album through this list, and I'm grateful for it! I love Ben Folds Five, and when I saw someone's quote from Ben Folds that I wasn't familiar with (the one about the movie) and then saw some talk about something called Fear of Pop, I put 2 and 2 together and figured out, Ben Folds has a new solo album and he is called Fear of Pop! So I just ordered it from CDnow. :-) Diana [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:06:14 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: Apollo 18 and Mono Puff Message-id: <36AE4A65.6D59@wmich.edu> Hey all----- here's my 2 cents.... MY Apollo 18 (which i JUST bought used, like two days ago) has the grey/white/silver writing on it. I guess I'm just a commoner after all. But, i've discovered that the dial-a-song # isn't on mine at all. Now, this seems odd... but honestly, is not there at all. But it is on my tape, and it is wrong. Heh, how odd. As for which Mono Puff is better..... I still like Unsupervised best. I'll admit, i didn't even like IFTS the very first time i heard, but it has REALLY grown on me.... i just *love* dedicated..... heck, now that i think of it.... i LOVE the whole thing..... hmmm.... im so bad a choosing favourites, alwasy have been. Ah well. ~Sarah "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:26:45 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Message-ID: <15951-36AE4F35-582@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-1260403673-270 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit "If I were a carpenter I'd hammer on my piglet. I'd collect the $7, and I'd buy a big prosthetic forehead and wear it on my real head." That's hella funny, Dexburger --WebTV-Mail-1260403673-270 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit --WebTV-Mail-1260403673-270 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-101.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.91) by postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net; Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:41:16 -0800 (PST) Return-Path: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [209.249.97.242]) by mailsorter-101.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.graham.14Aug97) with ESMTP id NAA04309; Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:41:15 -0800 (PST) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id QAA03624; Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:41:50 -0500 (EST) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:41:49 -0500 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id QAA03609 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:41:48 -0500 (EST) Received: from smtp0.mindspring.com (smtp0.mindspring.com [207.69.200.30]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id QAA03600 for ; Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:41:46 -0500 (EST) Received: from tuna (user-37kb897.dialup.mindspring.com [207.69.161.39]) by smtp0.mindspring.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id QAA07791 for ; Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:40:43 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <4.1.19990126164023.0092ac00@pop.mindspring.com> X-Sender: benshaw@pop.mindspring.com (Unverified) X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.1 (Demo) Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:47:16 -0500 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: Ben Bradshaw > I view 'Turn Around' >as an eerie song, and if anyone says it's quirky, I hit them repeatedly in the >nose, seeing as this usually makes them turn around rather quickly, and then I >shout out "Was that quirky? Was that quirky!?" as they drop through the void. I'm not sure exactly how I would describe the song. However, I'd like to point out the funniest lyric I've ever heard is "I was out by myself in the graveyard. I was doing an interpretive dance." Come on, is there any other lyric on the planet the can maintain it's funniness for as long and with such an intensity like that? I always imagine some gangly, pale white guy, in a black leotard, with some weird animal noises tape blasting from a boombox dancing jerkily on someone's grave right next to an open plot. It is pure genius. Ben "I think you're shit, you little turd dropper"-Fear of Pop Take A Gander, part 2 http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/lights/5364 --WebTV-Mail-1260403673-270-- ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:40:37 EST Subject: Re: Non- TMBG: Inevitable question ::hides under her desk:: Canadia scares me. I've been there many times, once even for a TMBG concert in Toronto...it was really really creepy....sorry to those Canadians out there, I'm just a Yankee at heart. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36AE0E14.2FA3CCBD@osu.edu> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:48:53 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > "If I were a carpenter I'd hammer on my piglet. I'd collect the $7, > and > I'd buy a big prosthetic forehead and wear it on my real head." > That's hella funny, > Dexburger > It sure is hella funny, but what do they mean by "piglet," and why are they hammering on it?? I've always wondered about that... Diana PS I also think Dexter Flansburgh is one of the coolest names I've ever heard. I'm going to name my first born son that. :-) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:52:00 -0600 (CST) From: Steven Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Message-ID: On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Diana Kocar wrote: > > It sure is hella funny, but what do they mean by "piglet," and why are > they hammering on it?? I've always wondered about that... "piglet" like a piggy bank, with probably around $7 in it, hammering to break it open and get the money. Steve PS. mmm...first-born children... ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <311b2eb7.36ae5509@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:51:37 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! In a message dated 99-01-26 18:48:57 EST, kocar.1@osu.edu writes: << but what do they mean by "piglet," and why are they hammering on it? >> i'd assume they're referring to a piggie-bank, which one would hammer and break to collect his savings; in this case, seven dollars. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990126185209.0093e450@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:52:34 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! At 06:48 PM 1/26/99, Diana Kocar wrote: > >It sure is hella funny, but what do they mean by "piglet," and why are >they hammering on it?? I've always wondered about that... They're talking about breaking open a piggy bank. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990126174933.00884770@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:49:33 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! >It sure is hella funny, but what do they mean by "piglet," and why are >they hammering on it?? I've always wondered about that... > The piglet and hammer are decidedly references to Animal Farm. The hammer would represent the hammer from the communist logo, the sickle and hammer. The piglet would obviously also represent the pigs that took over eventually on Animal Farm. L "The Animals came from miles around" D "No Spill Blood" B -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4a0a3a8a.36ae54d8@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:50:48 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! In a message dated 1/26/99 6:48:57 PM, kocar.1@osu.edu writes: > >It sure is hella funny, but what do they mean by "piglet," and why are >they hammering on it?? I've always wondered about that... piglet as in piggy bank, and y'know how they used to make 'em without an opening at the bottom, so you'd have to break it if you wanted to use the money you saved up? well, yeah. sarah ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Message-ID: <19990126.194244.4679.2.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: Karyn M Majetich Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:48:18 EST >> So, I assume since it's a DAS classic, it's basically unavailable > >>to the >>listening public? > >you can always get the DAS compilations from any friendly bootleg >trader... just ask nicely :) pleeaaaassseee? <------does this qualify as asking nicely? -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: johns parents numbers??? Message-ID: <19990126.194244.4679.3.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: Karyn M Majetich Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:48:18 EST speaking of phone numbers!!! I was really bored and have this program that has an almost complete listing of every single phone number in the us.... I looked at boston MA(also tried NY..no luck) and checked out the names Flansburgh and Linnell.....there was only one listing for both.....with no first name....which is odd because with every name...mostly that you check you usually get more than one listing per name. I was thinking that maybe it's their parents or someting??? I am not very adventurous and cant exactly pay the phone bill anyone wanna try calling?? It'd be fun to try. (Yes I know...also crazy) I'm to lazy at the moment to get the program out so.....if anyone wants to try just email me....who knows????? All I know is that if I could afford it...I would call and ask for John and say i was an old friend...(ok...I know I REALLY must sound crazy now -->stalker quality??....but this way you could get info....eh???) ~Karen :P On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:06:14 -0600 Mitchell Harding writes: >>member when DAS.com was just "registered" someone got a phone number >off >>of it and called it up and asked for Flansburgh... anyone know what >i'm >>talking about? well, what i was wondering... who did it? and does >anyone >>remember (want to dig through the archives) and recap the entire >>conversation? > >I remember this. I recall that someone answered who, I believe, >either told >them that Flans didn't live there or that Flans wasn't there right >now. In >any case, the person calling let them know how they got the number, I >think, >and that was pretty much the entire conversation. > >Harf, >Mitch >http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html > >"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." > - Bertrand Russell > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:20:45 -0500 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: MST3K pic! Message-ID: <19990126.222058.-194087.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray I have put my Joel pic up on my webpage for those who prefer this method. Just go to the address of www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871/joel.jpg and ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY! If you still want one thru mail, message me personally. Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901270345.WAA03560@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:41:15 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! > "If I were a carpenter I'd hammer on my piglet. I'd collect the $7, and > I'd buy a big prosthetic forehead and wear it on my real head." > That's hella funny, you've identified it as hella funny... now, please, tell me what hella funny is, exactly... how do you get to BE hella funny? is it something that i should strive for? jen Tonight, when we were eating dinner, Jon said something that really knocked me for a loop. He said, "I love carrots." "Good," I said as I gritted my teeth real hard. "Then maybe you and carrots would like to go into the bedroom and have sex!" They didn't, but maybe they will sometime, and I can watch ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:00:14 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: johns parents numbers??? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jan-99 TMBG: johns parents numbers??? by Karyn M Majetich@juno.co > speaking of phone numbers!!! I was really bored and have this program > that has an almost complete listing of every single phone number in the > us.... John Flansburgh's parents are actually listed on switchboard.com (and probably others) in Sudbury, MA (I think... maybe Lincoln) and they're the only Flansburghs in the area. Plus, I know that John Flansburgh's father's name is Earl, since he's mentioned it at shows. Just to those who might consider it, though: DO NOT CALL THE NUMBER. That would be rude and possibly grounds for legal action. It's a bad idea. On a more positive note, I have a friend here at CMU who knows a bunch of people who recently graduated from Lincoln-Sudbury High School and may be able to get their hands on some old yearbooks.... say, from 1977 and 1978... (I'll keep you updated, and scan any pictures I get :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:29:30 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: johns parents numbers??? Message-ID: <19990126.213153.3974.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I am not very adventurous and cant exactly pay the phone bill anyone >wanna try calling?? i would just like to advise *against* this. Sure calling up the phone number listed at DAS.com was all fun and games but honestly... calling their parents puts you into stalker category and that's definitely NOT fun and games by any means. You may think it's fun, but believe me... it's not gonna be to whoever you get on the phone. If it is their parents, you've got to remember a) they're old... taking prank calls isn't gonna help their situation by any means b) you're proposing to lie to them. (tell them you're an old friend). i don't see what that's gonna do for you. So you're an old friend of johns but they never met you? i would like to think that they're not totally oblivious and that they would catch on... put 2 and 2 together and realize that their son is somewhat popular and there are freekin loons out there that do this kind of stuff (no offense by any means) grin. >All I know is that if I >could afford it...I would call and ask for John and say i was an old >friend...(ok...I know I REALLY must sound crazy now -->stalker >quality??....but this way you could get info....eh???) whoa sister... what kind of information do you expect to get? John's phone number? his address? what are you looking for? I'm sure i sound like my panties are in a knot but seriously guys, this isn't a joking matter. I mean, woo... that puts you into the stalker category of "i'm breaking into their house and stealing a toothbrush" mode. anyways, call me a hypocrite cuz well, based solely on the last conversation... i was thoroughly entertained and i know i would be if someone did call... i just don't think it's a good idea. ya know where i'm coming from? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:56:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: johns parents numbers??? i was gonna reply to this thread before (i think it was a post by... a karen? i don't remember) but i deleted it by accident. which is kinda pointless because now i don't feel like quoting anything. deal. umm.. DO NOT CALL. do not call, do not by any means. call. maybe it's still scary feelings i have leftover from a being stalked nightmare i had last night, or that clip on talk soup with brad pitt's stalker.... but i feel a little stronger about it now (not much, but enough to.. err.. anyway) i'm sure you wouldn't like it if you were in their families position. would you really? on a semi-side note; on one of my regular newsgroups, some asshole posted the address of the parents of a celebrity that newsgroup was devoted to. (said celebrity made a most regretful slip on their show about a small piece of address information.. and it didn't take long for someone to track down the full info) .. they "thought it would be of interest" .. and they were wrong... any freak could take that info and do serious damage. and guys, i love my celebrities. i wouldn't wish anything bad on them. that's my 2c sarah ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 01:55:53 EST Subject: TMBG: 11 hours of STD Greetings! I just had to share! As I was getting ready for work this morning I had STD playing on the boombox, which sits on the living room of our 3rd floor apartment. Well, I was in such a hurry to get out the door, I didn't get a chance to turn off the CD/stereo. I thought about this as I was running to my car, but figured once the CD got to the end, that would be it.....Well, when I came back home 11 hours later the first noise I heard as I walked in the door was "....because it's EXTRA baaaabyyyyy" Normally this wouldn't concern me too much, except that I didn't get home until almost 11:00 pm ooops.... *shaking head, chuckling* Good Night! -kreadoubt "Buuuunny, Buuuuunny!" JL ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-27 ******************************