Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 30 Saturday, 30 January 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: irc Re: TMBG: irc Re: TMBG: irc Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re:Subject: TMBG: dial a song online, yippeee... Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: That V.W. commercial NON-TMBG: Spiritualized Re: Subject: TMBG: dial a song online, yippeee... Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! TMBG: Hmmmmmm - Spiritualized a Few Degrees From TMBG Re: TMBG: irc TMBG: Hmmmmmm - Spiritualized a Few Degrees From TMBG TMBG: Rare photo of Flans Re: TMBG: Hmmmmmm - Spiritualized a Few Degrees From TMBG Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Re: TMBG: That V.W. commercial TMBG: A TMBG School Report Re: TMBG: A TMBG School Report Re: TMBG: A TMBG School Report TMBG: hey hey! Re: TMBG: hey hey! TMBG: 4 Track Dr. worm TMBG: TMBG on vh1 TMBG: For those who have Canadian cable tv Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:11:27 EST Subject: TMBG: irc arrrgh, i'm in a search for an irc application that WILL NOT expire.. can anyone help me out here? this sucks. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:18:59 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: irc Message-ID: > arrrgh, i'm in a search for an irc application that WILL NOT expire.. > > can anyone help me out here? uhm.. BitchX? or ircii for those types. but i guess these require a shell account on your part (which if you are dealing with irc programs that "expire" is very unlikely that you posess. since when did good 'ol pirch start to expire anyway? or mIRC for that matter. and if it's that important to you, pay the developers their $10 or whatever and be done with it. obviously it would be worth it. or just but your morals aside and beg for a crack. and o yes.. if anyone on the list doesnt own s-e-x-x-y or wdtss yet and would like to get them for *free* (as in zero moneys) go to http://www.musicblvd.com/iname thank you. --kevin funkpoparoll beats up my soul On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > arrrgh, i'm in a search for an irc application that WILL NOT expire.. > > can anyone help me out here? > > > > > this sucks. > > > > sarah > ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <23387a2d.36b161ba@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:22:34 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: irc whoops, in my frustration, i forgot to mention i'm in search of an irc application for the *mac*.. makes a big differnce, sadly. In a message dated 1/29/99 2:19:58 AM, insanity@uwns.underworld.net writes: >since when did good 'ol pirch start to expire anyway? or mIRC for that >matter. > >and if it's that important to you, pay the developers their $10 or >whatever and be done with it. obviously it would be worth it. > i am a jobless high school kid. i don't *have* $10. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:00:02 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36B16A82.2C047160@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Misty wrote: > >That wouldn't make Agent 99 the "Hotel Detective", I hope. That truly is > >NOT her style, what with getting married to Max at the end of the series. > >:P > > Nah, I never thought as 99 as the Hotel Detective--that is, unless > Seigfried were holding a KAOS convention in the hotel. Then she'd > have her ear to the walls and would be tappin' the calls, no doubt! > > Misty This is one of the silliest threads I've seen in some time. I haven't seen a thread this silly since the Monty Python 'String' routine... Would you believe 'The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota?' How about 3 silkworms humming 'Don't Let's Start?' Stop me now, please. ^_^ lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob "Maaaaaaaaa-aaaaaxx!" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36B187CE.5948ED3F@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:05:06 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re:Subject: TMBG: dial a song online, yippeee... References: <199901290704.CAA03539@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: >maybe i'm behind the times and living in a cave, or maybe i skim too much, but >i just discovered a tmbg song i've never even *heard* of.. "dark and metric".. >so for anyone living in a cave like myself.. hop over to tmbg.com to hear it. I stumbled on that one a few days ago but I was afraid to mention it on the least for fear of an avalanche of "Well duh!!! No shit sherlock!"-type responses. But it is good. - B O N G O ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901291234.HAA13484@pop.snet.net> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:30:29 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! > > This is one of the silliest threads I've seen in some time. I haven't seen a > thread this silly since the Monty Python 'String' routine... Would you believe > 'The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota?' speaking of Monty Python... i'm trying very hard to convince my history teacher to allow a screening of 'search for the holy grail' in her room... after all, we ARE learning about knights and stuff.... so what if they don't have real horses? that doesn't mean they aren't chivalrous... jen Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990129141058.16142.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: That V.W. commercial Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 06:10:49 PST >nononononononononononono. nono. no. i posted this before, but obviously no one >read it. ::sigh: I read it, sarah. I loved it. It gets my vote for 'Post of the Week'. You should know by now that just because Dexburger doesn't know what's going on, doesn't mean 'no one' read it. So turn that frown upside down, baby. Official 'Post of the Week' ballot _ Someone jabbers on and on about stalking Mr and Mrs Flansburgh _ Some love\sex bullshit _ The Leffel\anti-Leffel dichotomy _ Jen says something bizarre X Sarah solves the elusive 'Mystery of the VW Commercial' Woohoo! You're in the lead. Come on, fellow sarah backers! Let's unite in the name of German automotive engineering! A vote for Sarah is a vote for justice! For liberty! For truth! For - whoops, i'm late for a meeting. More propaganda later. Farside Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199901291452.JAA01662@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: NON-TMBG: Spiritualized Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:52:12 -0500 (EST) > You know, with all of this talk of Spiritualized and the VW commercial they > were in, it reminds me of something from my summer job. This guy who knew the > owner was always coming in and making a general nuisance (sp) of himself, and > one day he brought in his girlfriend, who had a big stack of cassette singles > from Spiritualized: L&GWFIS. She said a friend of hers at a record company > gave > them to her for free. I assumed they must have been some local band, and > thought nothing of it. Now I see all of this talk about them on the > list...hmmm...curious. > I think Spiritualized is a British band, but I might be wrong about that...I picked up this album because I had heard about them last Fall and I do remember that L&GWFIS was the first song and kinda interesting. Hmm, I'll have to go pull that off my CD shelf and give it another listen. -Matt ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:58:34 -0700 Subject: Re: Subject: TMBG: dial a song online, yippeee... Message-ID: <19990129.075836.4990.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I stumbled on that one a few days ago but I was afraid to >mention it on the >least for fear of an avalanche of "Well duh!!! No shit sherlock!"-type >responses. But it >is good. nonoo we only flame the newbies!! seriously tho... it was posted pre-xmas time, and in fact, the lyrics were even posted at one point (i think... it could've been on the message board) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Tonight: The New Radicals & The Reejers (yay, they opened for TMBG 1/2/97)::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:19:26 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! Message-ID: <19990129.102000.9534.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein >speaking of Monty Python... i'm trying very hard to convince my history teacher >to allow a screening of 'search for the holy grail' in her room... after all, we ARE >learning about knights and stuff.... so what if they don't have real horses? that >doesn't mean they aren't chivalrous... Hey, it's worth a shot. My english teacher last year showed it to us for no good reason what so ever. I think the fact that she was old and senile had something to do with it...anyway, everyone kept looking at me because I was laughing my ass off. Screw them if they can't appreciate Monty Python's coolness. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: aday@meridianconsulting.com Message-ID: <85256708.0054268C.00@mail.meridianconsulting.com> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:27:56 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Hmmmmmm - Spiritualized a Few Degrees From TMBG This is really more than we all NEED to know, but there may be a link between this VW commercial and TMBG. I'm still doing the research.....work is slow today. -- I had no idea that the VW song was by Spiritualized until I heard it here. -- Spiritualized is a British Band that is (was?) under the "Dedicated" label in the UK. -- "Dedicated" (I think) was harpooned a few years ago by Big Bad BMG Music in New York City. -- Linnell's (now) wife used to manage "Dedicated" in London and moved to Brooklyn after dedicated got swallowed up by the Evil Bertelsmann Empire. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:01:41 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: irc >whoops, in my frustration, i forgot to mention i'm in search of an irc >application for the *mac*.. makes a big differnce, sadly. Ircle is only fifteen bucks. Worth it for a program that tends to be better-behaved than mIRC. Or ject keep using Ircle without registering-- not a problem if you limit your sessions to a reaonable length. :-) Me, I use ircII on the campus system. One less thing to install, and I can irc from labs the same way I do from my room. --JonBob -- ,, Jonathan Chaffer http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan _||_ Crow: #(:)o Tom Servo: O=[] Gypsy: A=== Dogbert: O- Me: :-D ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199901291600.LAA11210@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Hmmmmmm - Spiritualized a Few Degrees From TMBG Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:00:40 -0500 (EST) > -- "Dedicated" (I think) was harpooned a few years ago by Big Bad BMG > Music in New York City. > > -- Linnell's (now) wife used to manage "Dedicated" in London and moved to > Brooklyn after dedicated got swallowed up by > the Evil Bertelsmann Empire. Well, the obvious question to be raised is, "Is Linnell's wife a Brit or was she a foreigner working in London?" -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E456411212CB@MAIL> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Rare photo of Flans Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:39:28 -0500 Hello exquisite living people, I found this photo and decided to scan it in. It's a rare picture of Flans playing guitar at the Mercury Lounge when TMBG first played, "Finished with Lies" and Flansburgh had not yet memorized the chords. He put a cheat sheet on the stage of the Merc and knelt down and played the whole song while kneeling on one knee and reading from the cheat sheet! Date of the photo is November 6, 1997. http://www.asan.com/users/plassrob/kneeling.jpg Love, Rob Plass ----- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <95ec2561.36b20a94@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:23:00 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Hmmmmmm - Spiritualized a Few Degrees From TMBG In a message dated 1/29/99 10:26:35 AM, aday@meridianconsulting.com writes: >- Linnell's (now) wife used to manage "Dedicated" in London and moved to >Brooklyn after dedicated got swallowed up by > the Evil Bertelsmann Empire. > how do we know this? ever curious -> sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:28:44 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36B20BEC.7A16579E@hotbot.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Hi Honey, I'm Home! linnel@snet.net wrote: > speaking of Monty Python... i'm trying very hard to convince my > history teacher to allow a screening of 'search for the holy grail' in > her room... after all, we ARE learning about knights and stuff.... so > what if they don't have real horses? that doesn't mean they aren't > chivalrous... Well, I know of several teachers in my nuclear-ly devastated head of a town who have shown it just because the students asked for it. The Holy Grail is quality cinema. :P They understand that people learn more from it than from those damn School House Rocks cartoons. ^_^ lemoncurry@hotbot.com AKA Bob "Do you mean African or European swallow? WAAAUGH!!!" Scott ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901291937.OAA02308@pop.snet.net> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:33:03 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: That V.W. commercial [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: TMBJon@aol.com Message-ID: <6cf0fc9.36b21cba@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:40:26 EST Subject: TMBG: A TMBG School Report Hey, gang! I hope this whole Leffel thing blows off... We have so many fughts here... Remember this past summer... Anyway I just got this phat music report. I am in 8th grade (keep that in mind) Here is the rubric: 1. Written presentation (one page report on artist) 2. Visual representation (pix, poster, or cd cover) 3. Audio presentation (recording of the artist) 4. Oral presentation (written presentation but not reading it verbatim) Written report outline: A. name of artist B. time period when artist lived C. nationality of artist D. present age (if decesaed birth/death) E. legnth of fame F. person or event that influenced the artist G. music that influenced the artist H. List musical compositions or recordings I. List several musical achievments or musical awards J. List something interesting about the artist. Okay, here's where youz guyz come in... I need this info plus whatever else you can find: linnel and flansie's b-days ages both influence catagories awards and achievments interesting facts also advice on: visual pres.. (i was thinking of the STD poster and a musicvideo) audio pres (taken care of if Direct from Brooklyn comes before march 4) thanx a lot guys, i need email correspondence for this since i get the digest and i'm pretty backed up on those TMBJon@aol.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:08:12 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG School Report In a message dated 1/29/99 3:54:37 PM, TMBJon@aol.com writes: >A. name of artist well that one's kinda difficult. ;) >F. person or event that influenced the artist >G. music that influenced the artist >H. List musical compositions or recordings >I. List several musical achievments or musical awards >J. List something interesting about the artist. check out these swanky sites: http://www.tmbg.net http://www.tmbg.org http://www.tmbg.com at least in the newsletter section of tmbg.com, i think in the newsletter section, i know there was one that had what music they were listening to (prince.. tee hee..).. >Okay, here's where youz guyz come in... >I need this info plus whatever else you can find: >linnel and flansie's b-days from tmbg.net: John Flansburgh(born: 5/6/60) and John Linnell(born: 6/12/59) >ages that'd be 38 and 39 until their birthdays this year.. >visual pres.. (i was thinking of the STD poster and a musicvideo) >audio pres (taken care of if Direct from Brooklyn comes before march 4) for the latter there, don't you mean video? DFB is the visual and all. sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <456f1302.36b22fbb@aol.com> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:01:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG School Report In a message dated 99-01-29 15:54:37 EST, TMBJon@aol.com writes: << Anyway I just got this phat music report. >> perhaps your report should then lose some weight, thus enabling it to be thinner and subsequently less tedious for you. thin reports are infinitely superior to fat reports, says i. then again .. you're not using the urban colloquialism for "neato," are you? no, no! visions of puff daddy and will smith mercilessly dancing and chanting crappy poetry in my head.. aaaahhhhhh....... do you wish me to die? DIE? for i shall! oh, yes, i shall! and burn in a hell of sups and phats and homies and gs and beee- atches; or turn on mtv; or any number of rap inspired tortures.. nay, nay .. be nicer to your fellow tmbg fan! hide your jams-inspired corruptions from our innocent eyes! i'm sobbing, really peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:53:37 EST Subject: TMBG: hey hey! listie dorks--uh...I mean...members--does anyone know anything about an upcoming in-store performance in a record store in NYC? Please respond directly to myself, for I am not a dork--sorry, a list member anymore. Matt--Blame it on Pez addiction DrWormX@tmbg.org "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointment." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <29JAN99.24358857.0058.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:33:16 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: hey hey! >listie dorks--uh...I mean...members--does anyone know anything about an >upcoming in-store performance in a record store in NYC? Please respond >directly to myself, for I am not a dork--sorry, a list member anymore. > I don't know......you seem pretty dorky to me. In fact, I'd say the intelligence level of the list went up when you left. Oh, by the way, I have no info about the show. Misty ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 23:49:38 EST Subject: TMBG: 4 Track Dr. worm Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=60705598 PR Mega ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:42:18 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: TMBG on vh1 Message-ID: <23574-36B29BBA-1794@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-179227133-830 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit I read on alt.music.tmbg that over in the U.K., their vh1 broadcast a documentary on TMBG. Well, unfortunately, those bastards at vh1 U.S.A., decided it wasn't for them. Anyway, I was wondering if any of the list members from the U.K. happened to have record it. If so, I'd really really like to get a copy of it. Please let me know of your price or my trade options. Thanx alot, Dexburger --WebTV-Mail-179227133-830 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit --WebTV-Mail-179227133-830-- ------------------------------ From: demarco@MNSi.Net Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:50:03 -0500 Message-Id: <199901300650.BAA07957@MNSi.Net> Subject: TMBG: For those who have Canadian cable tv For those of you who get Canada's The Comedy Network: The Larry Sanders Show with TMBG guesting (not a very large part) will be on Wednesday night, Feb. 3. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-30 ******************************