Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 31 Sunday, 31 January 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: triangle man LOSES! (sort of) Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings, DAS, Children's Album, Mono Puff,and...um...o Re: TMBG: That V.W. commercial Subject: TMBG: TMBG onVH1 TMBG: Westerville last night. WOW!!! NON-TMBG: Spiritualized & VW TMBG: My hoe Re: TMBG: My hoe TMBG: TMBG & Sifl & Olly Re: TMBG: TMBG & Sifl & Olly Re: TMBG: Westerville last night. WOW!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:04:08 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: triangle man LOSES! (sort of) So I just got back from Westerville, OH, where I saw one of the best TMBG performances I've ever seen... I was kind of surprised - usually college shows, especially at small schools in small towns, don't turn out that well - they generally aren't that into it. I was proved wrong tonight. The venue was odd... a HUGE gymnasium with bleachers down in one half, and the stage in the other half... there were actually people sitting in the bleachers where they couldn't see the stage! But the sound turned out to not be that bad, considering... To start things off, You Were Spiraling opened. I was impressed... I even bought their Hello CD. Their keyboardist reminds me of Linnell... Then, after a brief wait, TMBG showed up and led things off with I Am Not Your Broom, with Linnell screaming along with Flans at the end... then New York City, and a "song about a fictitious band called They Might Be Giants..." (They Got Lost - with lots of added "Oh yeah"s in it, and Linnell messing up the third verse: "Dan said to Dan: "I think we make a left at the light.... so they rolled down the window and said hello, excuse me.... RIGHT!") After that they went right into Twisting, and at this point I could tell they were really into it... and then the "only polka we know how to play..." the Famous Polka, which went over not surprisingly well in the midwest... :) and then Battle for the Planet of the Dans. That's right. Planet of the Dans. This was amusing and ended with Linnell shouting "Get your hands off me you damn dirty Dan!" And Flans began tuning his guitar down and everyone knew She's an Angel was next. Afterwards, Flans made the STD plug and mentioned that the next song was not on it. It was a song about a controversial president... James K. Polk. Then the new song portion of the show, with Working Undercover for the Man. Please someone tell me I wasn't the only one singing along with them... :) And then the part of the show that can no longer be called improv, "Born in a graveyard... raised in a garage..." for the glockenspiel and all that stuff. Shoehorn followed, at a reasonable rate of speed, and then at an unreasonable rate of speed. The audience found it quite amusing. Then Linnell went crazy. I could faintly hear the opening strains of Ana Ng, and Linnell picked up his vocorder and started singing... "Vocorder... fifteen hundred dollars.... vocorder... fifteen hundred dollars... brand new... vocorder... expensive... but worth it... only used once in the show... trying to get my money's worth... could have gotten a used car... vocorder!" and then Ana Ng, with Linnell very quietly substituting "human hair" in the third verse for "humid air." They then did the long intro version of S-E-X-X-Y, so Flans could talk over Dan Miller's guitar solo... And She's Actual Size, in its usual fashion, Flans bugging Dan during his solo ("Play the interesting shit...... no, the other interesting shit... NOT THAT interesting shit... play the high-hat... people love the high-hat...") and singing the last half of the song very slowly and falsetto. At this point they decided to add Mammal to the set (I'm not sure why they chose Mammal - perhaps its educational nature) and introduced it as the theme song of the movie "Mammal," in which Dan Miller stars in the title role... Then came a short rant about how we all think they have fun on stage, but really it's work for them, and how the next song was a lot of work... Spy. No really interesting improv, except Linnell shouting with each beat during one part... "Trent Lott stole my hairstyle..." :) and Lie Still Little Bottle with a lot of the lyrics modified... and Linnell being funny again... "This is a song.... from.... it's... um... I don't know what to say about it... it's called Particle Man." And they did Particle Man... but right after the Person Man verse, Linnell broke into Ace of Base's "The Sign"... I've seen him do this before, but last I remember him doing it was well over a year ago... I was surprised, even though I said to myself a minute before "It would be cool if he did "The Sign" during this..." :) and then "Triangle Man, Triangle Man.... Triangle Man hates Triangle Man... they have a fight.... Triangle wins... Triangle Man." (who else *could* win?) and a rocking version of the sun, with lots of extra adjectives added to describe the hollowed out sun... and at one point, Linnell telling the audience "don't make me come back there!" but I'm not sure why... "This is a song about our friend. We have a friend." Birdhouse. I've never really heard them intro this much... usually they just play it. but it was still good. Then Spider -> Guitar, Everybody Conga, and No One Knows My Plan to round out the first part of the set... nothing really interesting happened during those, except I think somewhere in there Dan Weinkauf's other bass fell over... So they came out for an encore and Dan realized his bass had fallen over and was badly out of tune, so Linnell started Istanbul with the normal bass intro played on the keyboard, and Flans introduced the band, giving Dan time to tune... Istanbul was quite a rockin' yellin' version. And they finished with Dr. Worm. Lots of extra words added to the song, as usual. it was a great show, and it took me only three hours to get back to Pittsburgh, despite a 20 minute... uh... stop. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990128010333.10768.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt's Life Savings, DAS, Children's Album, Mono Puff,and...um...other stuff Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:03:33 PST Spencer Owen wrote: >Just out of curiosity, has ANYONE seen Hello the Band or Mono Puff's >"Hal Cragin Years" at any store, anywhere? I doubt it. (It's not even >on CDnow OR gemm.com...which probably means no.) I'm pretty sure that this was only available through the Hello Recording Club. I don't know whether or not it's still available. The only officially released Mono Puff albums were _Unsupervised_ and _It's Fun To Steal_. I believe that there was also an EP of "The Devil Went Down To Newport," which has since gone out of print. >Also, you'd better take Bongo up on his "Lincoln" offer. It's an >excellent album. I used to have it. Wait a minute. It's an excellent album, but you don't have it anymore? Did you lose it, or what? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36B2C3D9.FE532E78@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:33:31 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: That V.W. commercial "Todd Wetherbee" wrote: >>nononononononononononono. nono. no. i posted this before, but obviously no one >>read it. ::sigh: [referring to the identity of the music in the Jetta commercial] >I read it, sarah. I loved it. It gets my vote for 'Post of the Week'. Me too. I read it, followed the link, was informed/entertained. Nice job on tracking down the info. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36B2CAF0.19CB8C05@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 02:03:48 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Subject: TMBG: TMBG onVH1 GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) wrote: >I read on alt.music.tmbg that over in the U.K., their vh1 broadcast a >documentary on TMBG. Well, unfortunately, those bastards at vh1 U.S.A., >decided it wasn't for them. Anyway, I was wondering if any of the list >members from the U.K. happened to have record it. If so, I'd really >really like to get a copy of it. Please let me know of your price or my >trade options. I think a lot of us would be interested in that. First though, you've got to keep in mind that anyone who sends you a video from the U.K. is probably going to be sending it to you in the PAL format. This is where The King of TMBG Boots, Russ Josephson, could come in handy. In a recent post he mentioned he has the equipment to convert PAL to NTSC. If Russ got a hold of a quality copy, he could convert it and distribute it. (I mean, if he wanted to.) Since the show is probably no longer than 1 hour, maybe he could stick the whole thing on TMBG Bootleg #5. (There's probably not enough room for it on #4 since he says its almost done.) Sorry people, I get the list digest-style. I suspect I might be the 90th person to mention this. - B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990130152438.19549.rocketmail@web307.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 07:24:38 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: TMBG: Westerville last night. WOW!!! Last night had to have been the best of the 3 TMBG concerts I have had the privilege to be at. The set list has already been posted, so I won't mention everything, just the best stuff. First off, I loved You Were Spiraling. I bought both their Hello CD, and their regular CD. (Actually I'm listening to it right now). Then after a realitivley short wait (I think it was only 1/2 an hour as opposed to the usual 45min.) They came on stage. Linnel was surprisingly talkitive last night. At all my previous concerts Flans did most of the talking, and Linnel just said a little here and there. But last night Linnel practictaly ran the show! Actually, the only disappointment was that they didn't play Exquisite Dead Guy. I know I saw the puppets on the side of the stage, but alas they were never used. Over all it was a great show, I hope they are back near Columbus soon. (Of course last year I got 2 concerts in a week, less than 50 miles from my house, so I really can't complain too much.) - == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990130174621.22783.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: NON-TMBG: Spiritualized & VW Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:46:20 CST For the record (I'm an old vinyl fan) Spritualized are British and they were formerly called Spacemen 3. Their new record "live at albert hall" is on Arista Records. The song in the VW ad is "Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space" from the album of the same name. Incidentally, other VW commercial artists include Stereolab, who are french/british. Their song 'Parsec is off the _Dots and Loops_ release. It's the one with the "ahhh-ahhhhh"s and the farifsa organ. Another VW commerical song is "Little Fluffy Clouds" by the Orb. It's off the _Adventures beyond the ultraworld_ release. There are a couple more, but I can't remember them. They were all featured in a SPIN chart of how much your favorite artist had sold out. These were listed under the category "Was your future-is-now music featured in a Volkswagen ad so people would think "Holy Shit, Dude, the future is now!"? Bjorky And there you are. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Pimppdaddy@webtv.net (Dude Menes) Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:34:31 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: My hoe Message-ID: <17357-36B37AE7-323@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-219985196-150 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Who wants a hoe? Mail me. Your pimp, Dude --WebTV-Mail-219985196-150 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:03:02 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: My hoe [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:45:15 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: TMBG & Sifl & Olly Message-ID: <17360-36B3DFDB-1308@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> This might be of some interest to those of you who like MTV's Sifl & Olly, which I'm a big fan of, because their songs are reminescent of TMBG. Anyway, I was listening to Severe Tire Damage earlier today, and on She's An Angel, when they're signing the 2nd verse (about speaking to the man in charge & stuff), the Johns sound a lot like Sifl & Olly. Could they be under alias? Actually, I once read n article about the men behind those lovable sock puppets. They're like 2 musicians, that really couldn't make it, but got pretty big break when MTV offered them this show. And for the life of me, I can't remeber their names. But I was wondering if there are indeed other TMBG/Sifl & Olly fans out there, wh know there names, and know if they ever released any albums. I'd really like to get a hold of one, because if you've ever seen the show, on some of the songs they sing, you'd swear they were perfomed, and written by TMBG. They do share the same writing techniques. Well, get back to me with any info. Thanx, Dexburger ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:33:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG & Sifl & Olly In a message dated 1/30/99 11:49:30 PM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >the Johns sound a lot like Sifl & Olly. >Could they be under alias? nah. >wondering if there are indeed other TMBG/Sifl & Olly fans out there, wh >know there names, and know if they ever released any albums. I'd really >like to get a hold of one, because if you've ever seen the show, on some >of the songs they sing, you'd swear they were perfomed, and written by >TMBG. They do share the same writing techniques. Well, get back to me >with any info. http://www.sifl-n-olly.com i like the show, but i don't think it sounds at all like tmbg. and may i say something here that's been driving me crazy? sort of along the same lines, err.. almost.. you people have to stop being convinced that every show you watch has a "blatant tmbg reference"... not just shows either. y'all are just telling yerself things are ... well hey, my neighbor wears glasses and his name is john, and it doesn't excite me. just chill out a bit. i'm not saying this to anyone in particular, but i've *wanted* to *say it* for so *long* ... sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 01:44:58 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Westerville last night. WOW!!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 30-Jan-99 TMBG: Westerville last nigh.. by Talcott Starr@yahoo.com > First off, I loved You Were Spiraling. I bought both their Hello CD, > and their regular CD. (Actually I'm listening to it right now). ack. their regular CD was on sale, too?!? I didn't see it... :( another thing I did notice at the show, that I've never seen before - Dan Miller was wearing a TMBG shirt. The STD one without the accordion on the front. And Dan Weinkauf was wearing a Michael Shelley shirt, which seemed slightly less out of place. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-31 ******************************