Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 5 Tuesday, 5 January 1999 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: 120 Minutes TMBG: UK tour? Partially TMBG: All My Albums Re: TMBG: CD collecting TMBG: Flans Vote Page Re: TMBG: CD collecting Re: NON-TMBG: 120 Minutes/New Beastie Boys video Re: NON-TMBG: 120 Minutes/New Beastie Boys video Re: NON-TMBG: MTV bashing TMBG: Non-tmbg: squirrel nut zippers TMBG: TDK's TMBG sound page updated.. finally! TMBG: the power of fruvous... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5e36d8bd.369067e8@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 02:04:08 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: 120 Minutes okay, i just must speak and this is the best place to do it. dunno how many of you watched tonight's 120 minutes; on the west coast maybe it's not even on yet, who knows.. anyway.. 1) those artsy closeups of matt pinfield really sucked, i didn't need to see him that large, and 2) if you missed the credits, you missed him acting like a 5 year old, oh my. thanks! i just had to get that out of my system. sarah:) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:08:14 +0000 From: Mark Iles Subject: TMBG: UK tour? Dear TMBG-fans, I've heard that TMBg will be playing a couple of shows at the Garage in London, but don't know the dates and can't find them listed on the official TMBG web-site. Can anyone tell me where I can find out about these and any other dates They might be playing in the UK (since I live nowhere near London)? Please reply privately as I am not subscribed to the list. Thanks in advance, Mark ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2065042 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James's University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990104170850.22885.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Partially TMBG: All My Albums Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 09:08:49 PST Laura Miller wrote: >I was wondering how many CDs you all own. Not all that many, actually. I'll list them, but I'll throw in cassette tapes (and even copies of other cassette tapes) in order to pad my list. Here we go: (All of these are CD's, unless specified otherwise) Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes (copy of a tape) Barenaked Ladies: Gordon The Beatles: Rubber Soul (tape) The Beatles: Revolver The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour The Beatles: Abbey Road The Beatles: The white album (tape copy, without all of the songs on it) (I'm seriously considering getting this one on CD.) Blood, Sweat, and Tears: Greatest Hits Dr. Demento: 20th Anniversary Collection The Dukes of Stratosphear: Chips From The Chocolate Fireball Spike Jones: Dinner Music Tom Lehrer: Revisited Tom Lehrer: An Evening Wasted Tom Lehrer: That Was The Year That Was Mono Puff: Unsupervised Mono Puff: It's Fun To Steal Monty Python: The Final Rip-Off (2 tapes) Moxy Fruvous: Bargainville Moxy Fruvous: Wood Moxy Fruvous: The B Album Moxy Fruvous: You Will Go To The Moon Moxy Fruvous: Live Noise Allan Sherman: My Son, The Greatest Simon and Garfunkel: Greatest Hits (tape) The Simpsons: Songs In The Key Of Springfield They Might Be Giants: Then (2 CD's) They Might Be Giants: Flood They Might Be Giants: Apollo 18 They Might Be Giants: Why Does The Sun Shine? (4-song EP) They Might Be Giants: John Henry They Might Be Giants: Factory Showroom They Might Be Giants: S-E-X-X-Y (5-song EP) They Might Be Giants: Severe Tire Damage XTC: Mummer XTC: Skylarking XTC: Oranges And Lemons XTC: Nonsuch XTC: Upsy Daisy Assortment "Weird Al" Yankovic: The first album (tape) "Weird Al" Yankovic: In 3-D (tape) "Weird Al" Yankovic: Dare To Be Stupid (tape, which is actually my brother's) "Weird Al" Yankovic: Polka Party! (tape) "Weird Al" Yankovic: Even Worse (tape) "Weird Al" Yankovic: UHF (tape) "Weird Al" Yankovic: Off The Deep End (tape, which partially belongs to my brother) "Weird Al" Yankovic: Alapalooza (tape, which is actually my brother's) "Weird Al" Yankovic: Greatest Hits Volume II "Weird Al" Yankovic: Bad Hair Day "Weird Al" Yankovic: Gump (7-song EP) That's it for now, although I might be adding to my collection in the near future (and I might not). Nathan ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990104174826.8763.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: CD collecting Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 09:48:26 PST Scott "Bjorky" Reed wrote: > I do think it is interesting that CD Universe lists that people who >buy TMBG tend to also buy: Pearl Jam, Capercaille, Radiohead, Sublime >(Punk), Live, Sarah McLachlan, Pixies, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Red >Hot >Chili Peppers, Ventures, Cake, Wierd Al Yankovic, Soundgarden, 311, >Beatles, The Beavis and Butthead Do America Soundtrack, Dave >Matthews, >Bad Religion, Echo and the Bunnymen, and Metallica. > According to their unofficial demographic, TMBG listeners tend to >be >into some harder stuff (Metallica, 311, Soundgarden) while remaining >quirky (Wierd Al). What do you all think? I would imagine that TMBG fans have fairly diverse tastes in music (not surprising, considering the variety of styles with which the Johns Themselves have experimented). Personally, I don't really care for the noisy, "hard" stuff (metal, rap, grunge, etc.), or for music that is too "soft." (I'm starting to sound like Goldilocks here.) I like music that is interesting (for lack of a better word), and that includes more than one style. (I don't care all that much for bands whose songs all sound basically the same.) I prefer songs with clever lyrics, and also enjoy humorous music. I'm a big fan of Weird Al (but not Wierd Al; he sucks). As for voices, I don't necessarily mind if someone is not an excellent singer, as long as they can be understood, and have voices that are not too irritating. (Admittedly, this is a subjective matter. Someone could easily argue that Weird Al's voice is irritating.) -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:46:17 -0500 (EST) From: Mike Sawicki Subject: TMBG: Flans Vote Page Message-ID: It has come to my attention that Ric Flair is steadily gaining on Flans in the poll, and will probably have him passed by tomorrow. I am willing to reopen the Flans Voting site _IF AND ONLY IF_ we use it responsibly. First of all, I am going to make the damn thing shut down if the load gets too high...only those who are using it BEFORE the load limit gets exceeded will be able to continue. I think last time we had too many people voting anyway. The url will remain the same http://87advil.painful.org Check the site sometime later this week for rules and usage instructions..if you have any recommendations on how I can keep this orderly, please feel free to post to the list, or write me directly. [ Mike Sawicki < f i f i at HAX d.o.t org > *DIE SPAM BOTS!* ] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:24:23 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: CD collecting Message-ID: <19990104.183406.-255443.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Lessee, I own 75 CD's: 2 Depeche Mode, 3 Devo, 1 Enya, 1 The Cure, 2 UB40s, 6 Tori Amos, 4 REM, 1 Eno, 1 Madonna, 1 Bjork, 1 Firehose, 1 Soul Coughing, 7 TMBG, 1 Oingo Boingo, 1 Royal Crown Revue, 1 Pixies, 1 Weird Al Yancovic, 3 Mono Puff, 1 Sinead O' Connor, 2 Frank Black, Earth Girls are Easy, 1 Talking Heads, 1 Rammstien, 1 The Sugarcubes, 3 Danny Elfman, 2 Crash Test Dummies, 3 Negativland, 2 Sir Millard Mulch (50 Intellectually Stimulating Themes From A Cheap Amusement Park For Robots And Aliens, vol. 1), 1 Radiohead, 1 The Cranberries, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Hackers, 1 No Doubt, 1 Tears For Fears, 1 Trotsky Icepick, 2 Mr. Bungle, Batman Forever, 1 Simon and Garfunkel, 1 Meat Puppets, Jurassic Park, 1 The B-52's, 1 Annie Lennox, Dumb and Dumber, 1 Tom Waites, 1 Natural Born Chillers... 80 tapes... and 30 records. I started my CD collection when my sister gave me her old CD playin' boombox after receiving a stereo from her boyfriend. I usually pick out a few favorites to listen to over and over again. Once a month I arange the CD's either in a year order i.e. Simon and Garfunkel:1965 (greatest hits) to They Might Be giants: 1998 (STD). And whenever I get a new CD, i listen to it until the people I live with go crazy, and every lyric to every song is memorized. :) Mysterio Gal (listinin' to Frank Black) *all misspelled words are comercially korrect* MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:37:52 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: 120 Minutes/New Beastie Boys video In a message dated 99-01-04 02:05:37 EST, you write: << 1) those artsy closeups of matt pinfield really sucked, i didn't need to see him that large, and 2) if you missed the credits, you missed him acting like a 5 year old, oh my. >> OH MY GOD!!! I was thinking the exact same thing!! Now here is some other stuff so this isn't just a "Me Too" post... I think Matt Pinfield is cool! Someday I wish I could know as much stuff about music as he does!! Though, it's true the extreme close-ups (WAHHHHHH Wayne's World, gotta love it!) aren't exactly necessisary. HEY!! Did anyone catch the new Beastie Boys video that was on a few nights ago? It was for Body Movin'. They used the remix (I think it was done by Fatboy Slim, though I coudl be wrong) and it kicks royal ass!!! Oh well, I guess that's enough out of me... Graham "The Unsuccessful Lurker" Amsden They say you're nothing but a party girl Just like a million more all over the world I know I shouldn't be raising my hopes so high But I have seen the hungry looks in their eyes They'd settle for anything in disguise of love ---Elvis Costello ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <005a01be3857$5a109920$47f445cf@computer> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: 120 Minutes/New Beastie Boys video Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 21:59:01 -0500 >I think Matt Pinfield is cool! Someday I wish I could know as much stuff about >music as he does!! Though, it's true the extreme close-ups (WAHHHHHH Wayne's >World, gotta love it!) aren't exactly necessisary. > personally i hate matt pinfield, i think he's really annoying and he's got a too serious tone. plus his voice is pretty annoying to me. i doubt that matt pinfield knows about half the stuff that he says -- there are people that have jobs to dig up research and write the stuff on the teleprompter; it's not that hard to read a screen. i think that there may have been a thread on this a short while ago...but does anyone else think that mtv really sucks now? i'm not whining b/c of the videos they do/don't play, but they don't have the music aspect too much anymore -- they play read world marathons all the time and they have best of the beach or whatever that is, and how many times are they gonna show "world's most expensive videos"? and how many people really care what the spice girls and n'sync's favorite videos are? i'm done raving now. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <1646087a.369185c8@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:23:52 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: MTV bashing MTV has really gone downhill, luckily I have M2 so i don't go insane....actually, its sad to say, but I might actually watch VH1 more than MTV cause they have some pretty cool things on there, even if they play pretty crappy videos, like Pop up video is pretty cool, and all those shows they have about artists and stuff, there actually quite interesting. all MTV shows are the same damn things over and over and that stupid MTV Jams! Arg! I can't stand that! If they have MTV Jams why the heck don't they have MTV Rocks?! But then again they'd probably play really icky stuff anyways, but still, give us people who don't like rap or hip hop or R&B or whatever a chance! phew, I think I'm done. -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the known cosmos ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <002c01be3860$6841a120$0b2156d1@computer> Subject: TMBG: Non-tmbg: squirrel nut zippers Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:03:50 -0500 hi guys does anybody know where on the internet i can find guitar chords to squirrel nut zippers songs, besides OLGA? i'm especially trying to find chords/tabs for any songs off of "perinneal favorites" (sp?), but i would also like to learn other songs by them so that i can get an idea of the chords they use and stuff. can anyone help me? have they released a songbook for "perinneal favorites"? also, what are some similar SNZ bands, besides cherry poppin' daddies and big bad voodoo daddy and all those other bands? CPD and BBVD are cool, i guess, but i'm looking for 'old school' jazz/lounge/swing like the zippers. can anyone help me? any help would be appreciated, thank you. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <369192C6.3A5078E3@cybercomm.net> Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 23:19:21 -0500 From: TDK Subject: TMBG: TDK's TMBG sound page updated.. finally! Hi, I just put new sounds on my page, from the 12/3/90 show in Perth, Australia. It is a duo show. Check it totally out! -Mike http://i.am/tdk http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:00:54 -0700 Subject: TMBG: the power of fruvous... Message-ID: <19990104.220057.19998.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY listies... Well it looks as tho i will be hopping on a bus wednesday morning out to LA with a total stranger to catch a Fruvous show. i figure no matter how much i end up hating this guy, it's only 24 hours one way... how bad can it be (...until i realize i have to go another 24 hours home with him!)? anyways, to anyone that i was trading with... expect the tapes three to four days later. sorry for any inconveniences! :D Man, i totally thought that if i was gonna start traveling all over the country for concerts it'd be TMBG shows... ah well... i spose the 10 hour drive to see them counts for something? and the trip to NYC... Michael Shelley, Laura Cantrell, and Brian Dewan are all more or less TMBG related, right? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "guess i'm going to LA" --- Michael Shelley!! :D ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-5 *****************************