Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 6 Wednesday, 6 January 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: lounge music! TMBG: damn you guys Re: TMBG: damn you guys TMBG: re: SNZ Re: TMBG: re: SNZ Re: NON-TMBG: damn you guys TMBG: Hey, howdy, happy new year, blah Re: TMBG: damn you guys Re: TMBG: damn you guys Re: TMBG: re: SNZ TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... TMBG: best/worst and everything... NON-TMBG: the triumphant return of LDB... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... NON-TMBG: calling all utah listies... (part I) Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: NON-TMBG: the triumphant return of LDB... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... TMBG: polk your eyes out... TMBG: Can anyone help me? Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: NON-TMBG: the triumphant return of LDB... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... TMBG: CDS - then TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: CDS - then Re: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs Re: NON-TMBG: the triumphant return of LDB... Re: TMBG: CDS - then NON TMBG: Danny Elfman Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... (and CD list, and MTV takeover) Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... (and CD list, and MTV takeover) Pencil Rain [Was Re: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs] Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:35:39 -0800 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: TMBG: lounge music! If you're gonna go lounge, go Ultra Lounge. It's a collection by Capitol Records that I highly recommend. It's over 20 volumes of swingin', cool, hip music! You even get some cocktail recipes! The "Fuzzy Sampler" (look for the fuzzy leopard skin cover) won a Grammy for best compilation/collection. see http://www.ultralounge.com for more info and samples! C o u r t n e y L . P a t u b o toonie@tmbg.org * cpatubo@sirius.com http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo ICQ #3762743 ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 02:57:06 EST Subject: TMBG: damn you guys the more i read this list the more i feel the horrible desire to write out an alphatabetized list of all my CD's n' stuff... this must not come to pass. my little sister looked over my shoulder while i was reading the last digest and she was like "WHY would anyone DO that??" token tmbg related news- they replayed the This American Life with THEM on it about telephones last sunday. unexpected ~liz ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1cd7d57d.3691c7d4@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 03:05:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: damn you guys In a message dated 1/5/99 2:59:06 AM, GoodOmenz@aol.com writes: >the more i read this list the more i feel the horrible desire to write >out an >alphatabetized list of all my CD's n' stuff... this must not come to pass. > my >little sister looked over my shoulder while i was reading the last digest >and >she was like "WHY would anyone DO that??" i read this astrology thing once that said virgos like to make list. i am a virgo. and it's true! i like to make lists. that's my excuse. and i have an addition to my list.. i just got the semisonic cd... um.. i hated closing time, but that "singing in my sleep" showed me they were decent.. and i had a sick urge to foray into the popular world. so sue me. it's good actually... like a mix of rufus wainwright & ben folds five... sarah ------------------------------ From: Gweeg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 03:59:46 EST Subject: TMBG: re: SNZ Cherry Poppin Daddies and Big Bad Voodoo daddies are Nothing like squirrel nut zippers. Cherry poppin daddies are the crappiest sell-out-iest "swing" band out there. and dont get me started on Brian Setzer!! Damn Him to HELL! anyway check out andrew birds' Bowl of fire, or Cigar Store Indians (which are more Rockabilly than swing but they are still kinda like the zippers) I think we should all praise SNZ for not trying to ride this swing wave and milk it for what its worth. They were here before the whole craze got started and will out last cherry poppin daddies indefinately. ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <2d5e0928.3691d6b7@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 04:09:11 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: re: SNZ In a message dated 99-01-05 04:00:59 EST, Gweeg@aol.com writes: > Cherry Poppin Daddies and Big Bad Voodoo daddies are Nothing like squirrel nut > zippers. Cherry poppin daddies are the crappiest sell-out-iest "swing" band > out there. I was really very anti this whole "swing" revival and never thought too much of any of the bands, including the Squirrel Nut Zippers. That was...until I saw them live. That was an AMAZING experience..and one of my top 10 concerts! At the time I was glad that I'd gotten in for free (it was a sold out show, but my best friend works at the club where I saw them and was able to pull a few strings), but afterwards, I'd gladly have paid the $20 and been just as happy. I'd definitely see them again and am anxiously awaiting their return to Los Angeles. > anyway check out andrew birds' Bowl of fire, OOH!!! Thank you thank you THANK YOU for bringing up this band!!! They were the opening act for the Squirrels and completely blew me away. And..I could not for the life of me remember the exact name (I knew it was Andrew something or other, but that's all I could recall) of the band. I'm writing that down now for future reference... jennifer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990105145825.8856.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: damn you guys Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 06:58:25 PST Liz (GoodOmenz) wrote: >the more i read this list the more i feel the horrible desire to >write out an >alphatabetized list of all my CD's n' stuff... Come on! Write 'em out! You know you want to! All your friends are doing it! It's the cool thing to do! >this must not come to pass. my >little sister looked over my shoulder while i was reading the last >digest and >she was like "WHY would anyone DO that??" I don't know. I guess I just like making lists (especially pointless ones). And I'm not even a Virgo! Besides, it wasn't much of a big deal for me (which it might be for you, if you're one of those people who owns twenty thousand million albums). -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 08:07:09 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Hey, howdy, happy new year, blah OK, so I am new to the list, and I am a fairly new TMBG fan. I bought Apollo 18 in late October (1st TMBG album I bought), after years of thinking about buying some of their stuff. Now I realize what I'd been missing out on. Now I can't wait for them to come to Los Angeles. Now I can't wait for a new album (which probably won't be soon, but I can wish). I just recently bought "Then: the Earlier Years," "Severe Tire Damage," "Flood," "Factory Showroom," and "John Henry." My favorite (currently) is Factory Showroom, but I'm sure that will change tomorrow :-) The nice thing about "Then" is that you don't have to spend extra money to buy both "they might be giants" AND "lincoln", PLUS you get four EPs (or Miscellaneous T, which is the same thing) and some other stuff. This would be qualified as a good deal. Anyway, I noticed that the topic is about CDs, and I think I have about...maybe 80, 90 CDs. All of Soul Coughing's stuff, all of Tori Amos's stuff, all of Dave Matthews Band's stuff, most of Ani DiFranco's stuff, blah blah. I know this is an EXTREMELY boring post, but I'm glad that I get to, uh, become initiated, so to speak, to the mailing list. Anyway, cheerio. "and i should be allowed to blurt the merest idea if, by random whim, one occurs to me..." - spencer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001a01be38d1$d40b8e40$5999e7ce@Balloon> From: "Balloon" Subject: Re: TMBG: damn you guys Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:35:45 -0500 >and i have an addition to my list.. i just got the semisonic cd... um.. i >hated closing time, but that "singing in my sleep" showed me they were >decent.. and i had a sick urge to foray into the popular world. so sue me. >it's good actually... like a mix of rufus wainwright & ben folds five... > >sarah > If you want some good semisonic, Check out their first CD! methinks its called Great Divide...that cd set me to listening to semisonic...the new one pushed me away from them. something about hearing semisonice songs on the radio was cool at first, since they had no airplay before..but hearing them every other minute was not cool at all. -Eric ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002901be38d3$9dea8580$5999e7ce@Balloon> From: "Balloon" Subject: Re: TMBG: damn you guys Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:48:08 -0500 >the more i read this list the more i feel the horrible desire to write out an >alphatabetized list of all my CD's n' stuff... this must not come to pass. my >little sister looked over my shoulder while i was reading the last digest and >she was like "WHY would anyone DO that??" >~liz > For me listing out all my cds would be quite painfull..i suffer from an addiction called 'CD Buying', at last roll call I had 145 CDs...soo much wasted $$ aarrgghhh...i don't like to think about that. umm..i guess that there really isn't any point to this email, so I'll shut up now. -Eric ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990105120642.00876180@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 12:06:42 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: re: SNZ At 03:59 AM 1/5/99 EST, you wrote: >Cherry Poppin Daddies and Big Bad Voodoo daddies are Nothing like squirrel nut >zippers. Cherry poppin daddies are the crappiest sell-out-iest "swing" band >out there. and dont get me started on Brian Setzer!! Damn Him to HELL! >anyway check out andrew birds' Bowl of fire, or Cigar Store Indians (which >are more Rockabilly than swing but they are still kinda like the zippers) I >think we should all praise SNZ for not trying to ride this swing wave and milk >it for what its worth. They were here before the whole craze got started and >will out last cherry poppin daddies indefinately. > Well Gweeg. Let me take a stab at your comments. Cherry Poppin' Daddies is really a punk band, never let that out of your mind, they may have released an album with all swing tracks, but if you go listen to them in concert they play some punk and ska as well. Don't even touch Mr. Setzer, Mr. Setzer was making swing while you were prolly still in diapers, and doing rockabilly with the Stray Cats way before that. So your whole SNZ is better than all of 'em, because they were here longer does not count. Also, here's some other good Swing Bands, just 'cause I wanna plug them: Royal Crown Revue, very good mobster swing sound; Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, fun swing band; Indigo Swing, anyone who covers Oingo Boingo is my kind of band; Alien Fashion Show, if you're swing and you cover a Kiss song and make it kick more than the original did, you're my kind of swing band. The Li'l "I want to make Violent Love to You" Depressed Boy -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 11:42:44 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... I don't know how often this question is asked, since I'm new to the list... and I'd just like to know... What is your picks for best TMBG song? best TMBG album? worst TMBG song? I'd have to say my most most favorite TMBG songs are probably "Spiraling Shape," "Don't Let's Start," "Kiss Me, Son of God," "I Should Be Allowed to Think," and "We Want a Rock." (That's more than one, I know...) And let's not forget Gloria. :) As I said, my favorite album (at this minute) is Factory Showroom, but it's gonna change tomorrow. My least favorite TMBG songs are...hmmm...probably "Hot Cha," "XTC vs. Adam Ant," and "You'll Miss Me." Anyway, I love all the rest, and so one, and so forth, and so on. Oh, and also, what are you guys' favorite bands aside from TMBG? I don't mean to get TOO off topic, but I'd like to know what else you guys like so I can get into it too. You REALLY do not have to answer this, but if you feel like it, you may. "now you're the only one that can tell me if it's true, that you love me, and i love me..." - spencer ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <8d1e210f.3692769f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:31:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... ::shrugs:: mind as well..Sailor Moon isn't on for a while ::takes a deep breath:: My favorite TMBG album kinda changes back and forth between Lincoln and A18, depends on my mood. My least favorite album would have to be Factory Showroom because of the lack of tracks and it just doesn't hit me quite as well as the other ones do. My favorite song of all time would be "Certain People I Could Name" each time I listen to it, it just gets cooler and cooler. A close second is Pencil Rain, my theme song. My least favorite song is You'll Miss Me followed closely by SEXXY, they just give a really bad impression of them and many baaad events from them. I'll listen to SEXXYsometimes, but I just can't listen to You'll Miss Me. The other bands that I listen to are: Pixies, Frank Black, Hum, Mansun, Monopuff, Lincoln, Veruca Salt, Placebo and some others...some of these I'm just getting into and I'm not a die hard fan like I am for TMBG, but still are very cool. I think thats it... -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:04:46 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: best/worst and everything... Message-ID: On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Spencer Owen wrote: > I don't know how often this question is asked, since I'm new to the list... welcome to the list, by the way! :) > What is your picks for best TMBG song? i'm torn between "kiss me, son of god", "weep day", "end of the tour", "nightgown of the sullen moon", "extra savoir-faire", "cowtown", "dinner bell", "minimum wage", "which describes how you're feeling", "spacesuit", and "no one knows my plan". hmm. > best TMBG album? most of the time, i'd have to say lincoln (although A18 is my favorite), the rest of the time, i'd say A18, and john henry gets runner-up-hood after those two. > worst TMBG song? that's tough. i'm not so fond of "window", "thermostat", "XTC vs. adam ant", or "see the constellation", and i think some of the unreleased tracks from the pink album era might have been better left unreleased (except for the TMBG-documentarian side of me that likes to study the band,) but in general, i have trouble thinking of TMBG songs as being bad... :) > Oh, and also, what are you guys' favorite bands aside from TMBG? I don't > mean to get TOO off topic, (disclaimer: this is only my opinion, and it's a controversial one at that.) you're new here. ;) we get waaaaay off topic pretty regularly -- as i see it, this list isn't as much about TMBG as it is about TMBG fans, and that's the reason why i've been on the list for a year and a half. but anyway, to answer your question: bill evans (the pianist, not the saxophonist), art tatum, oscar peterson, the chieftains, steeleye span, martin carthy, joni mitchell, jimi hendrix, oumou sangare, l. subramaniam, hariprasad chaurasia, esma redz^epova, petar "pero" teodosijev, maddy prior, miles davis, django reinhardt, elliott smith, va"rttina, ziyia, palace music, charles mingus, parliament, ladysmith black mambazo, sam and dave, moxy fru"vous, edith frost, and glade. (i'm a little less than impartial on the last one, since i'm glade's keyboardist, but the band's been around longer than i've been with them and has two temporarily unavailable but really good CDs.) i can't yet count them among my favorites, but a band i heard (recorded) over the holidays and really enjoyed was indigo swing. while i'm on the subject, let me revise my list of best 20 albums of 1998, using the same logic that makes jesus the frontrunner in the man of the century poll: 1. kind of blue -- miles davis 2. xo -- elliott smith 3. for the roses -- joni mitchell 4. graceland -- paul simon 5. pet sounds -- the beach boys 6. portrait in jazz -- bill evans 7. lincoln -- they might be giants 8. house of mayors -- john linnell 9. moussoulou -- oumou sangare 10. are you experienced? -- the jimi hendrix experience 11. journey of dreams -- ladysmith black mambazo 12. funkentelechy vs. the placebo syndrome -- parliament 13. apollo 18 -- they might be giants 14. sketches of spain -- miles davis 15. maiden voyage -- herbie hancock 16. blue -- joni mitchell 17. bile -- glade 18. calling over time -- edith frost 19. cumbia & jazz fusion -- charles mingus 20. know what i mean? -- julian "cannonball" adderly --jim kuemmerle, back from vacation and slowly catching up on all his old tmbg-mail... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:08:24 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: the triumphant return of LDB... Message-ID: hey, LDB! welcome back! i've missed you! i'd noticed that you hadn't posted in a while, so i deliberately made mike leffel references to try and draw you out of hiding. when you didn't bite, i figured you just saw through my attempt, but i was starting to get worried when somebody *else* started up a "who is this mike leffel guy anyway" thread and not a word came from you... --jim kuemmerle, who's bigger than the list, but not bigger than mike leffel... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199901052112.NAA13070@law-f73.hotmail.com> From: "Sarah's Madness" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 13:12:56 PST My favorite TMBG album is A18, followed closely by the Pink Album, John Henry and Flood. My least favorite album would have to be Factory Showroom also, though I really like some of the tracks. My favorite tmbg song is The Statue Got Me High, followed closely by Everything Right Is Wrong Again. My least favorite song is James K. Polk, followed by Hall of Heads. The other bands that I listen to are: Frank Black, Mono Puff, Sisters of Mercy, Underworld, Orbital, Peter Gabriel, Nine Inch Nails, and many others. sarah "dammit, I like 'You'll Miss Me'!! am I the only one?" faye "Today I don't need no replacement I tell you what the smile on my face meant..." --Peter Gabriel, "Solsbury Hill" Sarah faye fingerofmyglove@tmbg.org http://i.am/lindramine -->The Princess's Castle, home of Sarah's Madness ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:17:07 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: calling all utah listies... (part I) Message-ID: hey, everybody. you know how i've made several plugs on this list for edith frost? (not the least of which was just two messages ago?) well, she's touring the western U.S. (find the dates at www.edithfrost.com), and she'll be hitting salt lake city on february 8th. i know this is a bit early, but i just want to give you plenty of advance warning. anyway, edith and her band will be playing at the moroccan (behind guthrie's bicycle shop around 180-ish east 2nd south, and guess who's going to be opening for them? that's right! glade! or at least a stripped-down version of glade -- probably acoustic guitar (glade sowards), organ/electric piano/accordion (yours truly), and minimal drums (either jaime dalton or davina pallone). i can't even begin to tell you how excited i am about this!! :) lullaby for the working class will be the 2nd opener. i'll definitely remind you all again when it's a little closer. i don't know how much the tickets will be -- probably $5-$8. --jim kuemmerle, who feels like miss piggy standing on lady holiday's desk in "the great muppet caper"... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu visit: www.edithfrost.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990105213950.7074.rocketmail@send201.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:39:50 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Hmm....Favorite TMBG song??? I like 'em all, but lemme think.... My favorite album at this particular moment is John Henry, but it usually changes weekly. My Favorite songs include It's Not My Birthday, AKA Driver, and Certain People. That song is sooooooo incredible!!!! Does anybody know if They're going to put Certain People on Their next album? When is that supposed to come out anyway? As for my least favorite songs, They would be Saphire Bullets of Pure Love, and I'm Def. Other music that I like: Moxy Fruvous Save Ferris Reel Big Fish R.E.M. Dave Matthews Band Ani DiFranco as well as a few others... Also, I waas just wondering, how did everyone here first get into TMBG? I first heard Them when that Tiny Toons episode first aired, but I didn't become a fan until about a year and a half ago. My friend made a tape of Flood for me, and I fell in love with it. I bought the CD a week later, then I purchased Factory Showroom. Since then I have gotten all of Their LPs, and seen Them in concert once. Okay...sorry to bore you all. == ~Connie~ "Once I was the King of Spain...Now I work at the Pizza Pizza." -Moxy Fruvous _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990105160542.00921540@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:05:42 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Fav'rit Song: Hmmmm. Uh. Lemme think about this. I'll say Rat Patrol is currently up there. It'll change soon, like maybe when I put on some TMBG to listen to. Fav'rit Album: John Henry, without question. Least Liked Song: All of 'em. Which makes them all liked about the same amount. I love 'em all. So I don't make this post sound so praising, my brother's least fav'rit song would be Boat of Car. Other Bands: Here is a drastically cut list, limiting to my top 10 fav'rit bands. (1 being the best, 10 being the 10th best) 1. They Might Be Giants/Hello the Band/Mono Puff (I consider 'em all the same) 2. Danny Elfman/Oingo Boingo (Again, I consider them the same thing. My brother has recently convinced me to love Boingo, so you should too) 3. Billy Idol (The musician so great, I named my stage name after him) 4. Less Than Jake (good ol' fashioned pop-punk with horns) 5. Devo (Hey, I love the spud boys, and their version of Head Like A Hole is to die for) 6. David Byrne/Talking Heads (The life blood of the talking heads, and when he left, the heads made one last blood curdling scream that made us all cry) 7. O'Phil (Wheatland Ska at it's best, and the band likes me too) DAG NABBIT, THE NINJAS HAVE ATTACKED AND TAKEN THE REST OF THE LIST! Well, boys and girls, time for me to go back to work, THE LI'L "any news on Mikey Leffel lately?" DEPRESSED BOY -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990105161601.0092d100@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:16:01 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the triumphant return of LDB... At 02:08 PM 1/5/99 -0700, you wrote: > >hey, LDB! welcome back! i've missed you! > Do you think I have not missed you? >i'd noticed that you hadn't posted in a while, so i deliberately made mike >leffel references to try and draw you out of hiding. when you didn't >bite, i figured you just saw through my attempt, but i was starting to get >worried when somebody *else* started up a "who is this mike leffel guy >anyway" thread and not a word came from you... > You think I'm humble enough to lurk? HARK, there is no chance of that. Either I'm posting regulary (multiple posts a day, mikey leffel style) or I'm not on the list. WHAT DID YOU TELL THEM ABOUT MIKE? DID YOU SAY IT IN SPANISH? >--jim kuemmerle, who's bigger than the list, but not bigger than mike >leffel... > Of course not, especially when you calculate the atomic weight and the inconsistancies of the human mind. L "L is for Leffel, our one true ninja" D "D is for Walter, like Manard's G" B "B is for Li'l 'mike leffel reference' Depressed Boy, 'cause he likes to type out his full name sometimes too" Oh, and I'm bigger'n the list too. :) -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 17:37:46 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... I forgot one of my favorite bands! if you could call it that..well i forgot a few and I feel bad about it... David Bowie Cheeky Monkey is pretty good and I guess I like some of the work of the Beatles...like Abbey Road -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:41:49 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Message-ID: <19990105.154150.4942.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > My least favorite song is James K. Polk, i dunno, i think you just had to have heard the original version first to really appreciate the Factory Showroom song :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:51:07 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: polk your eyes out... Message-ID: On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > i dunno, i think you just had to have heard the original version first to > really appreciate the Factory Showroom song :) i agree -- james k. polk is one of my many favorites. but i much prefer the original to the factory showroom version. (besides which, that singing saw never quite gets in tune...) :P --jim kuemmerle, napoleon of the stuff... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ edith frost rocks my world! -- www.edithfrost.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990105230030.418.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: TMBG: Can anyone help me? Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:00:26 PST Hello everybody again. I'm looking to see if anyone has State Songs and House of Mayors on CD that they can either tape or CDR for me... I'll follow whatever tape trading policies you have, I'll pay for or send CDRs, whatever, but I'm anxious to get these (you've probably seen me posting a message like this before). Let me know. Thanks. *Mike* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:01:50 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Message-ID: <19990105.160154.4942.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Cheeky Monkey is pretty good hehee... more Michael Shelley plugs... It's his and Francis Macdonald's (of BMX Bandits) side project. :) Anyways, i must say that their album "four arms to hold you" is extremely groovy, and would recomend it to anyone :) They sound so similar tho... I'm still not sure if i know who sings what on that album :) Last I heard, they wanted to have their next album done in the springtime... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:07:07 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the triumphant return of LDB... Message-ID: On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >i'd noticed that you hadn't posted in a while, so i deliberately made mike > >leffel references to try and draw you out of hiding. when you didn't > >bite, i figured you just saw through my attempt, but i was starting to get > >worried when somebody *else* started up a "who is this mike leffel guy > >anyway" thread and not a word came from you... > > You think I'm humble enough to lurk? not really. busy enough, perhaps, but not humble. :) that's one of the reasons why i was starting to get worried! > HARK, there is no chance of that. > Either I'm posting regulary (multiple posts a day, mikey leffel style) or > I'm not on the list. at first, i thought you wrote HARF... > WHAT DID YOU TELL THEM ABOUT MIKE? DID YOU SAY IT IN SPANISH? i don't remember. something nice, i'm sure. but i'm afraid i'm not as linguistically versatile as yourself, so i'm pretty sure it was in english. > >--jim kuemmerle, who's bigger than the list, but not bigger than mike > >leffel... > > Of course not, especially when you calculate the atomic weight and the > inconsistancies of the human mind. both the list and i, however, have approximately infinite surface area, if i'm interpreting mandelbrot correctly... :) > L "L is for Leffel, our one true ninja" > D "D is for Walter, like Manard's G" buh? muzzah? > B "B is for Li'l 'mike leffel reference' Depressed Boy, 'cause he likes to > type out his full name sometimes too" > > Oh, and I'm bigger'n the list too. :) somehow i feel this deserves an "unbirthday"-style celebration. :) --jim kuemmerle, who's now trying to work on a rationalization for claiming to be smaller than the list... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990105231430.01858d30@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:14:30 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... >What is your picks for best TMBG song? I certainly don't have a favorite -- I like them all. But when pressed for an answer I'll say "She's An Angel". >best TMBG album? Again, they're all good. At any given time there is one album I am most in the mood to listen to, but that changes quickly and there doesn't seem to be any album that I want to listen to more (or less) than all the others. >worst TMBG song? They're all good -- there are none I dislike. There isn't even one that I like less than all the rest. >Oh, and also, what are you guys' favorite bands aside from TMBG? Probably my favorite groups are TMBG, XTC, Dan Bern and Mono Puff. But I also really like Ani DiFranco, Moxy Fruvous, Violent Femmes, Tori Amos, Dance Hall Crashers, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Cake, King Missile, Frank Black, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less Than Jake and many others too numerous to list. Those were just off the top of my head. I know that I've left many out. Anyharf... Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Women don't like guys who are dangerous. Women just want us to think that because women are trying to kill us." - Dennis Miller ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <000001be3902$fb7020a0$83a545cf@computer> Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:50:37 -0500 hey guys here's my votes. favorite tmbg songs: when it rains it snows, puppet head, rhythm section want ad, crane, weep day, mammal, space suit, son of god, spider, dirt bike, worst enemy, spiraling shape, and dr. worm. favorite tmbg album: lincoln or flood or severe tire damage. least fave tmbg songs: mainstream USA, i'll sink manhattan, allowed to think least fave tmbg album: although i don't really have a least favorite (b/c every album has a certain feel to it), john henry. other bands: rem, elliot smith, 10,000maniacs, cornershop, beck, the specials, bad manners, the selector, bruce lee band, squirrel nut zippers, sarah mclachlan, barenaked ladies, radiohead, bob dylan, richard thompson, leo kottke, the wallflowers. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <20379c8d.3692b149@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:41:45 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... sup listies! here's my votes. favorite tmbg songs: crane, worm, spiralling shape, dont lets start, everthing right, ana ng, statue spiraling shape, and dr. worm. favorite tmbg album: factory show room least fave tmbg songs: most all good, except some dial-a-songs and ep's least fave tmbg album: although i don't really have a least favorite (b/c every album has a certain feel to it), john henry and flood other bands: you mean theres more? thanks dave, for lettin me use your format... and select sentences.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106005150.29730.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:51:48 PST Spencer Owen wrote: >I don't know how often this question is asked, since I'm new to the >list... and I'd just like to know... >What is your picks for best TMBG song? best TMBG album? worst TMBG >song? Well, I have done this before, but I'll do it again. Let's do this one album at a time: Pink album: Favorites-She's An Angel, Hope That I Get Old Before I Die Least Favorites-Hotel Detective, Toddler Hiway Lincoln (probably my favorite album): Favorites-Ana Ng, Shoehorn With Teeth Least Favorites-Santa's Beard, You'll Miss Me Flood: Favorites-Whistling In The Dark, We Want A Rock Least Favorites-Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, the ending part of "Hearing Aid" Apollo 18: Favorites-The Statue Got Me High, Dinner Bell Least Favorites-If I Wasn't Shy, Hypnotist Of Ladies John Henry: Favorites-The End Of The Tour, A Self Called Nowhere Least Favorites-Why Must I Be Sad?, Extra Savoir-Faire Factory Showroom (probably my least favorite album): Favorites-Exquisite Dead Guy, James K. Polk Least Favorites-How Can I Sing Like A Girl?, XTC Vs. Adam Ant Severe Tire Damage: Favorite New Stuff-Dr. Worm, First Kiss Least Favorite New Stuff-Return To The Planet Of The Apes, Beneath The Planet Of The Apes Favorite Re-Done Stuff-She's Actual Size, Meet James Ensor Least Favorite Re-Done Stuff-XTC Vs. Adam Ant, S-E-X-X-Y Pink-Era EP's: Favorites-When It Rains It Snows, The Famous Polka Least Favorites-We're The Replacements, Mr. Klaw Lincoln-Era EP's: Favorites-It's Not My Birthday, Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon Least Favorites-"The World's Address" remix, Hello Radio Flood-Era EP's (haven't heard many of these songs, so this is going to be tricky): Favorites-"Istanbul" remix, Stormy Pinkness Least Favorites-Ant, Stormy Pinkness A18-Era EP's: Favorites-Welcome To The Jungle, Cabbagetown Least Favorites-"The Guitar" Outer Planet Mix, Larger Than Life JH-Era EP's: Favorites-Mrs. Train, She Was A Hotel Detective Least Favorites-Whirlpool, Snail Dust FS-Era EP's: Favorites-SenSurround, We've Got A World That Swings Least Favorites-"S-E-X-X-Y" Warren Rigg Microwave Mix, Unforgotten Then Disc 1 Bonus Tracks: Favorites-Now That I Have Everything, Greek #3 Least Favorites-I'm Def, Mainstream USA Then Disc 2 Bonus Tracks: Favorites-Weep Day, "Which Describes How You're Feeling" demo Least Favorites-Schoolchildren Singing "Particle Man," Counterfeit Fake Let's see. What else? Oh, here we go. O Tannenbaum: Favorites-O Tannenbaum, Christmas Cards Least Favorites-Christmas Cards, O Tannenbaum Then there's always Mono Puff. Unsupervised: Favorites-Unsupervised, I Hit My Head, What Bothers The Spaceman Least Favorites-Don't I Have The Right?, The Devil Went Down To Newport It's Fun To Steal: Favorites-It's Fun To Steal, Backstabbing Liar Least Favorites-Pretty Fly, I Just Found Out What Everybody Knows And State Songs (I haven't heard all of the State Songs): Favorites-South Carolina, Maine Least Favorites-Pennsylvania, Oregon Okay. I suppose that's enough for now. Are there any categories I left out? Nathan, not open to the public ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106010232.10606.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 17:02:31 PST Happy Cow wrote: >Also, I waas just wondering, how did everyone here first get into >TMBG? I first heard Them when that Tiny Toons episode first aired, >but >I didn't become a fan until about a year and a half ago. My friend >made a tape of Flood for me, and I fell in love with it. I bought the >CD a week later, then I purchased Factory Showroom. Since then I have >gotten all of Their LPs, and seen Them in concert once. Ah, yet another question that's been asked twenty thousand million times before. Well, here we go: I did see the videos on the infamous Tiny Toons episode, but I wasn't particularly affected by them. I heard "Birdhouse In Your Soul" on the radio, and liked it, but I didn't immediately run out and buy an album. In fact, I didn't buy my first TMBG albums until after my first year of college. During that year, I heard several TMBG songs, since there were other fans in my dormitory, and I also attended a show. I contemplated buying at least one of Their albums, but I didn't get around to it until late that summer, when I picked up Then and Apollo 18 at a local Sam Goody. I had soon purchased all of the major albums, as well as the EP's that I could get my hands on (which wasn't very many; I still only own two). I guess that's about it. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan, who'll sink Manhattan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:04:09 -0500 Subject: TMBG: CDS - then Message-ID: <19990105.200436.3294.0.SailorMorningStar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetic) <> hehe....unless you already had bought them? *_* BAM! oohh..that hurts....oh well I don't care if I wasted money. Afterall at least now I can rightfully say that I actually own every one of their CD's! -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Laura A Miller Subject: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs Message-Id: <3692b81837d6001@mhub1.tc.umn.edu> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:10:49 -0600 Connie said: My Favorite songs include It's Not My Birthday, AKA Driver, and Certain People. That song is sooooooo incredible!!!! Does anybody know if They're going to put Certain People on Their next album? When is that supposed to come out anyway? As for my least favorite songs, They would be Saphire Bullets of Pure Love, and I'm Def. Where do you get certain people? I have eight TMBG albums yet don't have this song. Is it only on EP? I don't have I'm Def either. I have a ton of favorite TMBG songs. Just to name a few: Till my head falls off, Metal Detector, AKA driver, Dig my Grave, Don't Let's Start, I thought you said we had a deal. Worst TMBG songs: not too many. I suppose You'll Miss Me, Sapphire Bullets..., I'll Sink Manhattan. Best album: It changes every week. Last week it was Factory Showroom this week its the pink album. Worst album: STD. I was kind of disappointed the first time I heard it but I listened to it again and I got more out of it the second time. I just have one TMBG question, What is the Pencil Rain? Laura ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199901060110.RAA09501@f274.hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 17:10:07 PST Batbrain wrote: > favorite tmbg songs: > crane, worm, spiralling shape, dont lets start, everthing right, ana >ng, >statue > spiraling shape, and dr. worm. You know, you have both "Worm" and "Dr. Worm" on your list. Does that mean that you liked him even before he became a doctor? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (born in a garage, raised in a graveyard) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:09:27 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Message-ID: <19990105.201231.6902.2.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. here's my votes. > favorite tmbg songs: 1) ana ng 2) doctor worm 3) no one knows my plans 4) turn around 5) spy > favorite tmbg album: lincoln will always take the cake. > least fave tmbg songs: unrelated thing. no matter how hard i try, i can't like this song. it's too country for my taste and i'm not too fond of linnell's voice on it either. > least fave tmbg album: none. i even like misc t. a lot. > other bands: where to begin? dream theater, faith no more, liz phair, the misfits, veruca salt, lincoln, the bouncing souls, the beatles, zeppelin, floyd, the monkees, tori amos, garbage, philip glass, bernard herrmann, weezer, sheryl crow, aerosmith, tom petty, you were spiraling, billy joel, pumpkins, mono puff, skeleton key, tom jones, madonna. i could go on, but i think you all get the picture. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates in theroy, there should be something here. in theroy, communism works. in theory. * ----------------------------------------- ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:36:38 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Message-ID: <19990105.183655.4934.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> okay i really hate to do this... i'm not sure why but here goes... Fave songs: Working Undercover For The Man On The Drag They Got Lost The Guitar (even further outer planet mix) Don't Let's Start erg... just check out my ideal TMBG show: http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/concert.html Least Favorite Songs: Counterfeit Faker (sure it has it's good points... linny on accordion) Lucky Ball & Chain She's Actual Size (they play this waaaay too much live... i've just gotten sick of it). Fave Cover songs: NYC Mr. Tambourine Man take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::12 hours till i'm Going To LA::: Frubliss! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:14:25 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Jan-99 Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one mor.. by Nathan M. DeHoff@hotmail > Well, I have done this before, but I'll do it again. Let's do this one > album at a time: oooh, good idea... (to shorten things, I'm using "best" and "worst" to mean "favorite" and "least favorite") TMBG: Best: She's an Angel, Rhythm Section Want Ad Worst: Toddler Hiway Lincoln: Best: Ana Ng, They'll Need a Crane Worst: You'll Miss Me Flood: Best: Whistling in the Dark, Birdhouse in Your Soul Worst: Hot Cha, Particle Man (not a bad song, but *please* stop playing it) Apollo 18: Best: The Statue Got Me High, I Palindrome I Worst: Hypnotist of Ladies, The Guitar John Henry: Best: The End of the Tour, Sleeping in the Flowers Worst: Extra Savoir-Faire, Spy Factory Showroom: Best: Linnell Worst: Flansburgh Severe Tire Damage: Best: Dr. Worm, Til My Head Falls Off Worst: XTC vs. Adam Ant (why?!?), They Got Lost (I don't dislike the song, but they overdubbed the vocals, and that's cheating for a live album) I'm not going to go through all the EPs because I haven't heard all of them... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106023834.12936.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: CDS - then Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:38:33 PST Karen M Majetic wrote: ><money >to buy both "they might be giants" AND "lincoln", PLUS you get four >EPs >(or Miscellaneous T, which is the same thing) and some other stuff. >This >would be qualified as a good deal.>> > >hehe....unless you already had bought them? *_* BAM! oohh..that >hurts....oh well I don't care if I wasted money. Afterall at least >now I >can rightfully say that I actually own every one of their CD's! Really? Do you have the _Then_ sampler? What about the "Your Racist Friend" radio promo EP? The German version of the "Birdhouse In Your Soul" single? The Betelgeuse version of the "Dig My Grave" EP, featuring the Zaphod Beeblebrox Remix of "My Evil Twin"? (Okay, so I made that last one up.) I seriously doubt that you have ALL of Their albums. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (sitting in an English garden, waiting for the Sun) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106024740.10324.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:47:40 PST Laura A Miller wrote: >Where do you get certain people? I have eight TMBG albums yet don't >have >this song. Is it only on EP? I don't have I'm Def either. "Certain People I Could Name" was recorded at the same time as the Factory Showroom songs, but it has never been officially released. You can hear it at Dial-A-Song Online, though. >I just have one TMBG question, What is the Pencil Rain? Since you have eight TMBG albums, I'm assuming that you've heard the song, and are asking what a "pencil rain" actually is. I've always taken the song fairly literally, and seen it as being about pencils falling from the sky. Other interpretations have the pencils representing anything from missiles to penises. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990106025228.017ce37c@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 21:52:28 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the triumphant return of LDB... >> HARK, there is no chance of that. >> Either I'm posting regulary (multiple posts a day, mikey leffel style) or >> I'm not on the list. > >at first, i thought you wrote HARF... No such luck, alas... HARF, there is no chance of that. How was that? Speaking of harf, my brother and I met a little girl named Dana at a Moxy Fruvous show recently and taught her the word harf. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Women don't like guys who are dangerous. Women just want us to think that because women are trying to kill us." - Dennis Miller ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990105204943.008dc260@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:49:43 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: CDS - then >Really? Do you have the _Then_ sampler? What about the "Your Racist >Friend" radio promo EP? The German version of the "Birdhouse In Your >Soul" single? The Betelgeuse version of the "Dig My Grave" EP, >featuring the Zaphod Beeblebrox Remix of "My Evil Twin"? (Okay, so I >made that last one up.) I seriously doubt that you have ALL of Their >albums. Your mistaken there. Those are not albums. So don't be a bastard to people. A single is not an album. A promo is not an album. An EP is not an album. An album is a full length recording. The person has every album, but not every recording. So, shush. L "can't stand folks who pick on others" DB -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:58:27 -0500 Subject: NON TMBG: Danny Elfman Message-ID: <19990105.215848.-254941.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) phew, I'm gettin' really dizzy from readin' all those CD titles :) Anyway, I got Danny Elfman's: Music For A Darkened Theatre vol. 1, and there's and exerpt (a really good one) from Face Like A Frog. I was wondering if anyone has seen this, and what it's about, and any kind of review anyone has to offer. Mysterio Gal (on a list like this, someone has to have seen a movie with a name like that :) *all misspelled words are comercially korrect* MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:19:54 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... In a message dated 1/5/99 7:53:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << Nathan, not open to the public >> For some reason I had the Edison Museum song running through my head the whole time I was reading your e-mail...did you have some kind of subliminal e-mail or something....I'm on to you... -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity Brought to you by everyone's favorite non food product, soap. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106031903.24166.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:19:03 -0800 (PST) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... ---Sarah's Madness wrote: > sarah "dammit, I like 'You'll Miss Me'!! am I the only one?" faye No, you're not the only one. Although I have to be in a certain mood for that song, when I am, listening to that song has the effect of purging my system, so to speak. Sort of like listening to John Lennon scream at the end of "Cold Turkey." And now for the pointless breakdown of my favorite TMBG stuff (I should add that even the least favorites have some redeeming qualities): Pink Album Faves: Don't Let's Start, She's An Angel Least: Hide Away Folk Family (the only vocal performance worse than Puppet Head), The Day Lincoln Faves: Ana Ng (describes my life only too well); They'll Need a Crane (see above); Kiss Me, Son of God (describes my views on religion all too well!) Least: Cowtown, Piece of Dirt (kind of drags) Flood Faves: Istanbul (although I'm glad they changed it live), Whistling in the Dark (cool booming bass thing!) Least: Particle Man (not a bad song, but Linnell's voice kind of sucks on this track) Apollo 18 Faves: The Statue Got Me High (I *love* the imagery in this!), Dinner Bell (I'm a food junkie, OK? And a piano junkie.) Least: Mammal (BO-ring!), The Guitar (too freaking repetitive for my tastes) John Henry Faves: No One Knows My Plan (I like a good little ditty about psychopathic revenge!), The End of the Tour (a song that practically rips my heart out of my chest and makes me love it) Least: Dirt Bike (just doesn't grab me), Thermostat (see previous) Factory Showroom Faves: Till My Head Falls Off (I'm Danielle, and I'm a New Wave fan. "Hi, Danielle."), Your Own Worst Enemy (no struggles with depression here--can't you tell?) Least: How Can I Sing Like A Girl? (interesting lyrics but kind of a dull tune), XTC vs. Adam Ant (can we say "overdone"?) Stuff I'm into other than TMBG: Elvis Costello, The Beatles (as well as Lennon's and McCartney's solo stuff), Depeche Mode, Ben Folds Five, The B-52's, other weird eclectic stuff Not sure of her magnitude in relation to the list, Inspector Over the Mine === http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html See, Starvin' Marvin, these are what we call *appetizers*. This is what you eat before you eat to make you more hungry. --Eric Cartman _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:20:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Favorite songs: Weep Day, Certain People, NYC, James K. Polk, Spiralling Shape, Pet Name, The Bells Are Ringing, SEXXY, Til My Head Falls Off, Famous Polka, On the Drag, Hotel Detective (90's version), Statue, She's An Angel, Dr. Worm, and the ubiquitous Birdhouse. Least favorites: Um... Sapphire Bullets. Particle Man (overated) Least Appreciated Songs By The Fanbase: XTC vs. Adam Ant, Pet Name Favorite Album: TIE! FS and A18. ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <19d377ab.3692d7da@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:26:18 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs In a message dated 99-01-05 21:48:52 EST, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >I just have one TMBG question, What is the Pencil Rain? > > Since you have eight TMBG albums, I'm assuming that you've heard the > song, and are asking what a "pencil rain" actually is. I've always > taken the song fairly literally, and seen it as being about pencils > falling from the sky. Other interpretations have the pencils > representing anything from missiles to penises. I dunno, kinda reminds me of when I was a lil' Hooper X and my brother and I would set GIJoes up in the yard and throw shit at 'em. So, to me, "Pencil Rain" is Lil Flans and Lil' Linnell (whoa, too many "l"s) in the yard, tossing pencils at those lil' green army dudes. ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <58a44df3.3692dc98@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:46:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... (and CD list, and MTV takeover) Okay, this is going to cover three topics in one email for you who hate more than one email from one person in a two hour span. If you're bored, skip to the bottom; it's important! (This is the reply to the email...) Best songs? Well, I'd have to say I love "We Want A Rock", "Space Suit", "Dinner Bell", "Hypnotist of Ladies", and "Don't Let's Start" the most, but I love them all too much ... there's a lot more that I keep thinking of, but I don't want this to be a huge huge email. The best TMBG album must be "Apollo 18". It's got every type of TMBG stuff that I like on it. Well, the only songs that I don't love love are "Dirt Bike", "Hello Radio", and "Birds Fly". There's only one TMBG song that I absoutely loathe. That's "When It Rains, It Snows" and don't ask why. I have no reason. (This is partially a CD list.) This part will be sort of a other band/CD list for you all who are doing the CD thing. A star (*) means I own all of the albums that the artist has. Tori Amos* Cake Weezer* Matchbox 20 Monty Python Boys II Men Foo Fighters* Nirvana* Eric Clapton Stabbing Westward* Counting Crows* Rammstein Sonic Youth Sponge Beck Belly* Fastball Buck O Nine Velvert Underground Miles Davis Billie Holiday (... and TMBG! I have a lot of others, but I don't want to bore you. For a full list, just email me. If you really want it.) (This is the important part of the eMail! Hope you stuck around!) Right before that, I have a fun announcement. Yesterday, I was bored while my sister was having a party, and so I called up the radio station they were listening to (107.7 in St. Louis) and requested "Dr. Worm". After a while of a wait, it came on and their party was halted so they could hear what was being played. They listened to it and liked it, I heard from my sister later. Seeing as how they were in the basement and it was full blast, I could hear it in my room, and I think the whole block should have. Yeah! Anyway, you've all seen "Total Request" on MTV? Well, the teenybopper fans on there request the most horrible music, and since my sisters are all rap/cheesy pop fans, I'm stuck watching it. I was wondering if there was some way we could get TMBG onto the countdown for a day ... or maybe longer. Since the John's have been popping up everywhere and I think that since MTV takes email requests, we can get a bunch of people to send them email requesting "Dr. Worm", maybe? Email me back if you have any suggestions! Thanks for reading, Samantha ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <3944ce1a.3692df03@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:56:51 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... (and CD list, and MTV takeover) In a message dated 1/5/99 10:47:58 PM, IamSam98@aol.com writes: >Anyway, you've all seen "Total Request" on MTV? Well, the teenybopper fans >on >there request the most horrible music, and since my sisters are all rap/cheesy >pop fans, I'm stuck watching it. I was wondering if there was some way >we >could get TMBG onto the countdown for a day ... or maybe longer. Since >the >John's have been popping up everywhere and I think that since MTV takes >email >requests, we can get a bunch of people to send them email requesting "Dr. >Worm", maybe? >Email me back if you have any suggestions! nope, i hate to bust anyone's dreams, but total request is completely fixed. ...what happens is they pick the videos they deem "hot" (aka, creating pop culture..) and only take the requests that are for those videos. and there are enough hanson & backstreet boys &... uh... well; *rap/r&b* fans that will request crap.. :P no matter how hard we try, even if we surpass them, that's not how mtv plays the game.(c'mon, ya give them that much credit? ;))... and as a matter of fact, i was reading the barenaked ladies newsgroup the other day and someone said she and a friend were down in times square and requested "it's all been done" but the guy told them only "one week" was an option. :P (and it didn't even make the coutdown, heh..) which.. not even to mention the fact that the name is TOTAL REQUEST, it's completely the opposite. hey! just like MUSIC TELEVISION! (loveline, road rules, real world, blah blah blah... ludicrous.. and they're STILL adding shows, aiyy...) ... so not only is it not-really-request, they only offer certain songs, therefore they're just contributing to the sick overplaying of stuff no one wants to hear (::cough:: oneweek...) sarah ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <00fe01be3930$bdbc4bc0$249645cf@computer> Subject: Pencil Rain [Was Re: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs] Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 23:55:08 -0500 >>I just have one TMBG question, What is the Pencil Rain? > >Since you have eight TMBG albums, I'm assuming that you've heard the >song, and are asking what a "pencil rain" actually is. I've always >taken the song fairly literally, and seen it as being about pencils >falling from the sky. Other interpretations have the pencils >representing anything from missiles to penises. > i've always thought that they're playing with words -- rain/reign (a la "the world's address".) it's a bunch of soldiers, but w/ the "helmets on each head," they look like pencils from afar. so my theory or whatever is that its a war, but all of the soldiers look kinda like pencils (perhaps the helmets are the erasers), so it's a pencil rain (pencil's are everywhere), but pencils are reigning (b/c that's what everyone looks like). i think that linnel prolly thought up the war part first then mixed in all of the stuff w/ pencils ie helmets = erasers, "searching for number two" (number 2 pencils), "the first lead". theory #2: it's about a newly-bought box of number 2 pencils, so none of them have been sharpened. some kid ("the marshal"?) looks for one and chooses one, then sharpens it ("the thunderous clatter of splintering wood"). so it's about pencils reigning in their own little box -- the "possible dream" for the pencils is that they'll be sharpened and actually used. okay, that's my theory on the song "Pencil Rain." david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-6 *****************************