Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 7 Thursday, 7 January 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Pet Name (was Re: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing...) Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... TMBG: Best and worst of TMBG Re: TMBG: CDS - then Re: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... TMBG: Interesting item on eBay web site item#52948831: They Might Be Giants TMBG: Re: Can anyone help me? (StateSongs&Mayors) TMBG: Re: Hey, howdy, happy new year, blah TMBG: "Kings of Ska" Re: TMBG: CDS - then Re: TMBG: Best and worst of TMBG Re: TMBG: CDS - then Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: CDS - then Re: TMBG: Interesting item on eBay web site item#52948831: TMBG: First time I heard TMBG...? TMBG: faves, the size of the list TMBG: Linnell's solo stuff... / Factory Showroom - what's wrong with Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom - what's wrong withit? Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... TMBG: lounge!! & other Re: TMBG: First time I heard TMBG...? TMBG: Favorite Songs TMBG: It has resulted to this. TMBG: WLIR Bootleg '98 Re: TMBG: lounge!! & other (just "other" now, since I cut the "lounge" part Re: TMBG: First time I heard TMBG...? Re: TMBG: It has resulted to this. Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: faves, the size of the list TMBG: Favorite Songs TMBG:CPICN TMBG: the flow of misc. t Re: TMBG: damn you guys Re: TMBG: CD collecting Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... TMBG: All My Favorite (And Least Favorite) Things Re: TMBG: the flow of misc. t TMBG: Talk of the Nation Real Audio TMBG: Favs, Least Favs, etc. TMBG: does anyone have mp3s of the singles Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <010d01be3931$06ae0080$249645cf@computer> Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 23:57:08 -0500 >Least Appreciated Songs By The Fanbase: >XTC vs. Adam Ant, Pet Name > is this true -- does the fanbase not appreciate pet name? why not? david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19990106000146.007ca100@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:01:46 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... At 11:57 PM 1/5/99 -0500, wagner@mindspring.com wrote: > >is this true -- does the fanbase not appreciate pet name? why not? As a whole, I'd agree that a large percentage of fans probably don't care for Pet Name that much...or at least the percentage is higher than most of Their songs....although I personally really like it. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:55:19 EST Subject: Pet Name (was Re: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing...) Well, Pet Name is actually one of my favourites, I just didn't put it on the list. It's a great song, and even tho I understand it, I don't in a way. -Samantha ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 01:07:51 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Jan-99 Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one mor.. by wagner@mindspring.com > is this true -- does the fanbase not appreciate pet name? why not? most people don't appreciate pet name - not just the fanbase... I heard that the reason they stopped playing it was because Flans was the only band member who wanted to play it... then when they got a new bassist, they brought it back for a while, and sort of revitalized it by playing it in the dark. And just now they've brought it back again - I guess it had a long enough rest to satisfy Linnell and the Dans. (and they still play it in the dark) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9191c8a0.3692fe88@aol.com> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 01:11:20 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... In a message dated 1/6/99 12:01:04 AM, wagner@mindspring.com writes: >is this true -- does the fanbase not appreciate pet name? why not? i love pet name. it's one of my favourite tracks on FS. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <369306EC.6AD5597E@tc.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:47:09 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: TMBG: Best and worst of TMBG I already posted some of my favorites and least favorites but I never did it by album so I'll do it again. The list being somewhat different from the previous because several of my favorites were overlooked from before. I'm still leaving several favorites out- there's too many to list. The least favorites are much less numerous and on any given album I usually like at least 75% of the stuff. Pink Album: Best:Don't lets start, Everything Right......., Hope that I get old....., Nothings gonna change my clothes Worst: Toddler HiWay, boat of car Lincoln. Best: Mr. Me, Shoehorn with teeth (some will disagree here no doubt, but I find the lyrics hilarious!), I've got a match, cage + aquarium. Worst: You'll miss me (too much rage), piece of dirt (A little too slow), pencil rain (but only because I still don't understand what 'pencil rain' really is) Flood. Best: Birdhouse, Istanbul, Dead, Minimum Wage (my favorite TMBG song clocking under 1 minute). Worst: Hot Cha, Sapphire, Someone keeps moving my chair (that line sounds too whiney) Misc. T. Best: We had a deal, Kiss me son of god, Not my birthday Worst: World's address (remix is too long at 5 minutes), I'll Sink Manhattan (way too slow and boring), 13 (the track number. Not a song but some dialogue thrown in) Apollo 18: Best: Dig my grave, Actual size, Dinner Bell, The end of the album from fingertips to space suit (I love singing along to those mini-snippets). Worst: Mammal (boring), Spider, If I wasn't shy (sounds too whiney) John Henry: Best: AKA driver, Out of Jail, Self called nowhere. Worst: Window, Do not forsake me (too short and not enough instrumental to spice it up) Factory Showroom. Best: Till my head falls off, Metal Detector, Exquisite Dead Guy (even better live with the puppets), James K. Polk (I don't think the song itself is all that catchy but I love the lyrics). Worst: S-E-X-X-Y (the only song here I usually skip. That's pretty good). STD: Best: They got lost, Dr. Worm. Worse: I thought the ape tracks 18-24 or whatever they are was a bit excessive. But I guess the extra tracks make up for the lack on Factory Showroom. I don't have any EPs so I can't comment on them. Mono Puff- Its Fun to steal. Best: Hillbilly Drummer Girl, Back stabbing liar, Extra Krispy (best song without John's vocals though he plays the guitars here). Worst: Pretty Fly (I bought the album to hear John, and there's no sign of John here. Plus its just boring with no instrumentals at all) I don't have the first Mono Puff album. Laura ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36930A6E.FD51001A@tc.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 01:02:07 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: CDS - then Well then my TMBG collection must be lacking too. I thought I was doing well with 8 TMBG albums but I don't have Then, the earlier years and I don't have any EP's. Even Misc. T doesn't cover all the EP stuff so I'm still missing several TMBG songs. I'm reading the favorites and least favorites and several I haven't heard before. Larua Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Karen M Majetic wrote: > >< >money > >to buy both "they might be giants" AND "lincoln", PLUS you get four > >EPs > >(or Miscellaneous T, which is the same thing) and some other stuff. > >This > >would be qualified as a good deal.>> > > > >hehe....unless you already had bought them? *_* BAM! oohh..that > >hurts....oh well I don't care if I wasted money. Afterall at least > >now I > >can rightfully say that I actually own every one of their CD's! > > Really? Do you have the _Then_ sampler? What about the "Your Racist > Friend" radio promo EP? The German version of the "Birdhouse In Your > Soul" single? The Betelgeuse version of the "Dig My Grave" EP, > featuring the Zaphod Beeblebrox Remix of "My Evil Twin"? (Okay, so I > made that last one up.) I seriously doubt that you have ALL of Their > albums. > -- > May you live in interesting times, > Nathan (sitting in an English garden, waiting for the Sun) > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36930AD8.D76F070E@tc.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 01:03:52 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: best and worst TMBG songs Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Laura A Miller wrote: > >Where do you get certain people? I have eight TMBG albums yet don't > >have > >this song. Is it only on EP? I don't have I'm Def either. > > "Certain People I Could Name" was recorded at the same time as the > Factory Showroom songs, but it has never been officially released. You > can hear it at Dial-A-Song Online, though. > How do you do this? > > >I just have one TMBG question, What is the Pencil Rain? > > Since you have eight TMBG albums, I'm assuming that you've heard the > song, and are asking what a "pencil rain" actually is. I've always > taken the song fairly literally, and seen it as being about pencils > falling from the sky. Other interpretations have the pencils > representing anything from missiles to penises. > > -- > May you live in interesting times, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36930EF7.3DB8F26F@tc.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 01:21:28 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Adam Tyner wrote: > At 11:57 PM 1/5/99 -0500, wagner@mindspring.com wrote: > > > >is this true -- does the fanbase not appreciate pet name? why not? > > As a whole, I'd agree that a large percentage of fans probably don't care > for Pet Name that much...or at least the percentage is higher than most of > Their songs....although I personally really like it. > > -Adam I don't know if there's a lot of people who dislike pet name or not. I'm not amongst them. There seems to be a lot more people complaining about songs like XTC, SEXXY, particel man, You'll Miss Me. I've seen a couple of people say they didn't like it, but that's true for just about any song. You can't please everyone. Laura > > -- > /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ > http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 02:29:02 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199901060729.CAA17090@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: hellhotel@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Interesting item on eBay web site item#52948831: They Might Be Giants - Dial -A- Song I found this auction at ebay...I personally find it ridiculous that anyone would pay the price listed for this one...it's currently at $40+ what the HELL?? This is just simply retarded and Illegal to boot! I AM offended! the sale of a bootlegged cd tape etc is morally and legally wrong! -HellHotel Title of item: They Might Be Giants - Dial -A- Song Seller: nathan@amouse.net Starts: 12/31/98 15:32:45 PST Ends: 01/07/99 15:32:45 PST Price: Currently $47.01 To bid the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=52948831 Item Description: They Might Be Giants - Dial -A- Song This collection of unreleaseed songs and Dial a songs are pure sweetness and a MUST have for any TMBG fan. I got it in CD-R form from a friend. It's my guess that its a bootleg since I have never heard of it. Now I offer it to you in CD-R form. 1. Countdown Into 2. On the Drag 3. When Tornados Take Over the World 4. Stormy Pinkness 5. We Just Go Nuts at Christmas Time 6. Token Back To Brooklyn (Demo) 7. Feel Good Sublet 8. Rat Patrol 9. Maine 10. Don't Make me Kill You Again 11. Triptap 12. Summer Breeze 13. 25 O'Clock 14. Rat Patrol 15. 4 of 2 16. Reprehensible 17. Certain People I could Name 18. Edison Museum 19. Rest a While 20. Operators are standing by 21. Dark and Metric 22. Finished With Lies 23. One More Parade 24. Living Doll 25. Frankenstein 26. Hell Hotel 27. Maybe I Know 28. 120 Minutes 29. Bunch O' Live stuff $1.50 Shipping, Good Luck!! Visit eBay, the world's largest Personal Trading Community at http://www.ebay.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3693301E.BFE0AA59@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 02:42:58 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Can anyone help me? (StateSongs&Mayors) "Mike McGuire" wrote: >Hello everybody again. I'm looking to see if anyone has State Songs and >House of Mayors on CD that they can either tape or CDR for me... I'll >follow whatever tape trading policies you have, I'll pay for or send >CDRs, whatever, but I'm anxious to get these (you've probably seen me >posting a message like this before). Let me know. Thanks. >*Mike* Wait a second...are these no longer available? I order both from TMBG's mail order less than a year ago and they arrived a few weeks later. What's more is they're both inexpensive. Damn! I knew I should have order a couple of extras! By the way, with respect to Flans and the Mono Puff gang, Linnell solo blow 'em away! -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "Wouldn't it be great if Tinkerbell *tinked* everybody on the head with the kitchen sink?" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3693329B.9C9727C7@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 02:53:37 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Hey, howdy, happy new year, blah "Spencer Owen" wrote: > OK, so I am new to the list, and I am a fairly new TMBG fan. I bought Apollo 18 in late October (1st TMBG album I > bought), after years of thinking about buying some of their stuff. Now I realize what I'd been missing out on. Now I can't wait for > them to come to Los Angeles. > Sad to say but TMBG don't come out and see us hear in So Cal too often. They usually just stop by once approximately every two years. I suppose things could change though. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3693365F.CE34EC69@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 03:09:39 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: "Kings of Ska" I was at a record store in Valencia, CA recently and out of habit, I drifted over to the TMBG section except the didn't have one. (Not even in with the Misc. T's) The store is part of a major chain so I was kind of surprised. A few weeks later, I was in the same store and I was walking past their SKA section and there they had almost every TMBG CD! I wonder what dope decided to put them there. Just because they use a lot of horns doesn't make them a Ska band. I see how some people might think *some *of their music *might* have a feel *similar* to modern Ska bands but its just crazy. Of course I didn't bother to mention it to any of bozos working there because they'd be too dense and or lazy to correct it. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106132318.18205.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: CDS - then Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 05:23:18 PST The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: >>Really? Do you have the _Then_ sampler? What about the "Your >>Racist >>Friend" radio promo EP? The German version of the "Birdhouse In >>Your >>Soul" single? The Betelgeuse version of the "Dig My Grave" EP, >>featuring the Zaphod Beeblebrox Remix of "My Evil Twin"? (Okay, so >>I >>made that last one up.) I seriously doubt that you have ALL of >>Their >>albums. > >Your mistaken there. Those are not albums. You're right. I should have said "CD's," not "albums" (or not posted the message in the first place, but that's another story). >So don't be a bastard to >people. A single is not an album. A promo is not an album. An EP >is not >an album. An album is a full length recording. The person has every >album, but not every recording. So, shush. > >L "can't stand folks who pick on others" DB I wasn't trying to pick on anyone. My post was basically intended as a joke. It was probably a joke that only I found funny (my best kind), but the point is that there was no malice intended. My apologies to anyone who thought there was. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan, waiting for my thumbs DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106133432.19399.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Best and worst of TMBG Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 05:34:32 PST Laura Miller wrote: >Lincoln. >Worst: You'll miss me (too much rage), piece of dirt (A >little too slow), pencil rain (but only because I still don't >understand >what 'pencil rain' really is) Actually, I'm not sure that anyone but whichever John wrote the song (probably Linnell) knows what "pencil rain" really is. Personally, I started liking "Pencil Rain" more when I learned about the Morse code contained in it. >Flood. >Worst: Hot Cha, Sapphire, Someone >keeps moving my chair >(that line sounds too whiney) I have now seen "Hot Cha" on several people's "worst" lists. Any particular reason why? That song has never been one of my absolute favorites, but I find the lyrics amusing, and the music somewhat catchy. >Factory Showroom. Best: Till my head falls off, Metal Detector, >Exquisite Dead Guy (even better live with the puppets), James K. Polk >(I >don't think the song itself is all that catchy but I love the >lyrics). I actually find "James K. Polk" fairly catchy. It's certainly one of the more upbeat songs on FS. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106134419.15128.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: CDS - then Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 05:44:19 PST Laura Miller wrote: >Well then my TMBG collection must be lacking too. I thought I was >doing >well with 8 TMBG albums but I don't have Then, the earlier years and >I >don't have any EP's. Even Misc. T doesn't cover all the EP stuff so >I'm >still missing several TMBG songs. I'm reading the favorites and >least >favorites and several I haven't heard before. I'd say you're doing pretty well with eight albums. I wasn't trying to say that people who don't own every single recording are somehow "lesser" fans, just pointing out that none of us (as far as I know) can honestly say that we own ALL of Their CD's. I actually only own two EP's (plus _Then_, which contains quite a bit of EP material), but I've heard many of the other EP tracks by way of the Internet. I do tend to be a bit obsessive. Since I like TMBG, I want to hear every song They've ever done. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106140041.13804.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 06:00:41 PST Amber wrote: >In a message dated 1/5/99 7:53:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, >xornom@hotmail.com >writes: > ><< Nathan, not open to the public >> >For some reason I had the Edison Museum song running through my head >the whole >time I was reading your e-mail...did you have some kind of subliminal >e-mail >or something....I'm on to you... You'll never stop me! Soon, "The Edison Museum" will be implanted into the brains of everyone on this list! All list members will bow before me! Or maybe they'll just make a mass pilgrimage to Menlo Park. >Brought to you by everyone's favorite non food product, soap. Soap isn't a food? So NOW they tell me! -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (searching the yonder blue, looking out for number two) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 07:01:38 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: CDS - then Message-ID: <19990106.070749.4966.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > just pointing out that none of us (as far as I know) >can >honestly say that we own ALL of Their CD's but we can sure as hell try! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::2 hours till i'm going to LA::: ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 07:07:01 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Interesting item on eBay web site item#52948831: Message-ID: <19990106.070749.4966.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEy HEY! > I AM offended! the sale of a bootlegged cd tape etc is morally >and legally wrong! i actually took it upon myself to e-mail each and every person that bid on that item and offered to make dubs of the DAS tapes or anyother show... then explained that there were several other bootleg "traders" that would be more than willing to burn them onto CD... everyone was mostly surprised to see that there were other ways to get their hands on it... except for one chick who just assumed that i was trying to make a profit myself. that there was absolutely no way i could have a bootleg collection as large as mine without ever buying or selling a bootleg. i guess it's the oblivious folk like herself that end up paying outrageous sums of money for something they can get for the price of a blank tape, an envelope, and postage two ways. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:00:12 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: First time I heard TMBG...? Oh, I've got no clue. Years and years ago. On some radio station or something. I've been listening to their CDs in the music stores around my vicinity for a long long time, trying to figure out whether I should buy them. Now I guess I've gotten my question answered. Oh, yeah, thanks for the warm welcoming. I appreciate the response. :) I'm going to hear Moxy Fruvous at some music store somewhere soon, I've never heard them and a few people on the list recommended them. Can anyone describe their sound for me? "dressed up in clothes from her head to her toes, this is the way the talking part goes..." - spencer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:48:25 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: faves, the size of the list Message-ID: > John Henry > Faves: No One Knows My Plan (I like a good little ditty about psychopathic > revenge!) you left out misc. t, danielle... does "i'll sink manhattan" fall into your faves? > Not sure of her magnitude in relation to the list, > Inspector Over the Mine ah, it's easy! *everyone* is bigger than the list! :) --jim kuemmerle, who, if he were hollow, could fit a million lists inside of him... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:34:46 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Linnell's solo stuff... / Factory Showroom - what's wrong with I, too, would love a tape/CD of Linnell's solo stuff (both "State Songs" and "House of Mayors"). It tends to be true that, while Flansburgh has equal genius, I tend to enjoy Linnell's voice just a little more. If anyone's got it, E-MAIL me at either easyfast@aol.com, ebbwylted@aol.com, or sowen@windwardschool.org. Factory Showroom - what's wrong with it? Aside from the fact that it has "XTC vs. Adam Ant" on it, nothing. It's a great album. True, it only has 13 tracks, but the songs are a little longer, plus who doesn't love "Exquisite Dead Guy," "Spiraling Shape," "The Bells are Ringing," or "Token Back to Brooklyn" (hidden track, for anyone not in the know, BEFORE track one)? I don't see why people dislike it so much. I happen to love "S-E-X-X-Y." Mr. Cragin does some good work on that one. Anyone called (718)387-6962 recently? I know you don't need to be reminded, but it's good to remember the genius, masterpiece, and simple "bravo!" that is the Dial-a-Song. I called twice last night just to hear the same song. Oh, and just as an aside, I'd have to add "Mainstream U.S.A.," "Fake Out in Buenos Aires," and "The Big Big Whoredom" to my favorite song list. They're so weird, they're good to listen to. The vocals on Mainstream are just so classically disjointed. I love it. Plus any song with Linnell on guitar is good. (Mr. Klaw!) Out. "we worked the smartest to be the hardest, but the big big whoredom scares me..." --spencer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106184937.1270.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom - what's wrong withit? Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:49:37 PST Spencer Owen wrote: >Factory Showroom - what's wrong with it? >Aside from the fact that it has "XTC vs. Adam Ant" on it, nothing. >It's a great album. True, it only has 13 tracks, but the songs are a >little longer, Well, that's somewhat of a problem in itself, especially for those of us with short attention spans. Besides, the reason why some of these songs are so long is because of unnecessary repetition. ("How Can I Sing Like A Girl?" strikes me as a good example of this.) >Anyone called (718)387-6962 recently? I know you don't need to be >reminded, but it's good to remember the genius, masterpiece, and >simple "bravo!" that is the Dial-a-Song. I called twice last night >just to hear the same song. Was it "The Feel-Good Sublet"? Someone on the newsgroup was complaining that DAS has been playing that one too much recently. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901061932.OAA19450@pop.snet.net> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:29:19 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... > Happy Cow wrote: > >Also, I waas just wondering, how did everyone here first get into > >TMBG? I first heard Them when that Tiny Toons episode first aired, >but > >I didn't become a fan until about a year and a half ago. My friend > >made a tape of Flood for me, and I fell in love with it. man. i think i'm lucky... i got the FULL tmbg effect in a single dose, the first time i had ever heard of them. one day, my sister comes running in the house, interrupting the movie i was watching with a video tape that she wanted me to watch. she popped it into the VCR, and what to my wondering eyes should appear? but a couple of johns (and eight massive reindeer) the first video was DLS, and we were cracking up at how neat-o it was. ever since then, i've been an avid (or rabid... whichever way you want to look at it) fan. yay! jen- the queen of all self-centered posts ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106194822.11523.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: TMBG: lounge!! & other Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:48:21 CST I think the Ultra-Lounge CD won the grammy for best packaging, not best compilation. Fav album: A18 Least Fav.: Pink Apollo 18 has more catchier stuff, whereas Pink is a little too rough and disjointed to allow for a good listen. Fav song(s): weep day, spiralling shape, jkp, women & men, tmbg, snowball in hell, kiss me son of god, hey mr. dj, turn around, mrs. train, i hope i get old before i die, rhythym section want ad, nothing's gonna change my clothes, spider Least fav.: the guitar, hall of heads, pet name, "i walk alone" fingertips bit, other bands/albums: stereolab, bjork, nick cave, juliana hatfield, juan garcia esquivel, perry and kingsley, beastie boys, hole, deee-lite, beth orton, nine inch nails, beck, soul coughing, bjorky ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <73ec1cae.3693bf1a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:52:58 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: First time I heard TMBG...? The first time I heard TMBG was when I was 7 or so, listening to Tiny Toons. I once read in an interview that TMBG thinks it's funny when fans (such as myself) who were really young when they first heard them finally go to concerts and tell Them that they first heard the videos on Fox. After not listening to Them for a *long* time, I finslly got into Jr. High and met a friend who loved TMBG and Pink Floyd, among others. She let me borrow Flood, and I went right out and bought it. Last year (9th grade), I finally bought John Henry. Last week or so, I got enough money to buy stuff (seeing as how I was broke for about a year ... and I mean broke!) and I bought Misc. T, FS, and A18. I'm trying to cough enough money up to buy Then ... which makes it pointless for me to own Misc. T, but oh well. I've never been to a TMBG concert, because here in St. L, They don't play often enough for me to catch Them. They have played before at a thing called "Pointfest", where a local radio station (the Point) gets a bunch of bands together. I'm just wondering if They'll play here soon so I can catch my first TMBG concert ... what a trip! ;) -Samantha ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106195709.5778.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: TMBG: Favorite Songs Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 11:57:06 PST Ok, I guess I'm apart form the crowd in this one: I love XTC vs. Adam Ant. It's not my very favorite, but I like it alot. Anyways, another thing I'm probably apart from everyone is about Pet Name. Pet Name is my number one favorite TMBG song. Here's my favorite 5: 1. Pet Name 2. Hall of Heads 3. Stomp Box 4. Exquisite Dead Guy 5. Certain People I Could Name So there. *Mike* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:10:13 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: It has resulted to this. Does anyone know if they improvise frequently live? I'd love to seem them live, and those "Planet of the Apes" things at the end of STD (no, NOT the medical term) are brilliant. Details, details. I know it's pointless, but I now like so many songs that I have to narrow it down to albums and favorite songs from each. (By the way, I apologize to people who have the regular version of this list - I know you're getting tons of e-mails from me!) And like someone else before, I am going to abbreviate "favorite" and "least favorite" with "best" and "worst". And we can also assume that I like all of the rest equally. PINK ALBUM Best: "Don't Let's Start," "She's an Angel," "Boat of Car" Worst: "The Day," "(She Was a) Hotel Detective," "32 Footsteps" LINCOLN Best: "Ana Ng," "Stand on Your Own Head," "Snowball in Hell" Worst: "Santa's Beard," "They'll Need a Crane" (I am in the minority in this one, I know), "You'll Miss Me" (AAARGH!) FLOOD Best: "Dead," "We Want a Rock," "Whistling in the Dark" Worst: "Lucky Ball and chain," "Hot Cha," "Road Movie to Berlin" Most Overplayed (of all TMBG songs): "Particle Man"!!! It's fine, but just SHUT UP! APOLLO 18 Best: "Mammal," "Which Describes How You're Feeling," "Space Suit" Worst: "She's Actual Size," "Hall of Heads," "Hypnotist of Ladies" JOHN HENRY Best: "I Should Be Allowed to Think," "Meet James Ensor," "The End of the Tour" Worst: "Sleeping in the Flowers," "A Self Called Nowhere," "Window" FACTORY SHOWROOM Best: "Exquisite Dead Guy," "Spiraling Shape," "The Bells are Ringing" Worst: "New York City," "XTC vs. Adam Ant," "Pet Name" SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE Best: "Doctor Worm," "They Got Lost," ALL the "Planet of the Apes" songs! Worst: "First Kiss," "About Me" Versions Better Than Originals: "She's an Angel," "Spider," "Why Does the Sun Shine?" Versions Worse Than Originals: "Ana Ng," "S-E-X-X-Y" THEN: THE EARLIER YEARS (non-album, non-EP tracks) Best: "Mainstream U.S.A.," "Fake Out in Buenos Aires," "Kitten Intro," "The Big Big Whoredom," "Weep Day" Worst: "Become a Robot," "Counterfeit Fake," "Don't Let's Start (demo)," "Which Describes How You're Feeling" (but the backwards message is awesome, so it has redeeming quality) MISCELLANEOUS T Best: "Hey, Mr. DJ...", "Mr. Klaw," "The Famous Polka" Worst: "Lady is a Tramp," "World's Address (Joshua Fried Remix)," "The Biggest One" That's all, folks. Another novel. :) I'd also like to correct (LOL) my egregious quote error at the end of my last e-mail. I think you know what it was supposed to say, if you don't, try to appreciate the one I gave you. "let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" --spencer ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19990106160633.007be9f0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 16:06:33 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: WLIR Bootleg '98 Let the buyer beware! I picked up a copy of WLIR's "Bootleg '98" CD after seeing TMBG featured on the cover, but unlike, well, every other track on it, TMBG's contribution wasn't live in-studio or anything. It's the version of "Don't Let's Start" from Live!! NYC... If you're a completist and really want this, or if you think some of the other bands on it are cool, I'm auctioning it on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=54492175 I just don't want anyone to go through the same disappointment, expecting to hear TMBG live and acoustic, and getting something you've already heard. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106211152.3476.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: lounge!! & other (just "other" now, since I cut the "lounge" part out) Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:11:52 PST Scott "Bjorky" Reed wrote: >Fav album: A18 > >Least Fav.: Pink > >Apollo 18 has more catchier stuff, whereas Pink is a little too rough >and disjointed to allow for a good listen. I would agree with the "rough" part, but I think that the pink album flows pretty well. So does A18, for that matter. I'd say that FS might be the most "disjointed," since the order of songs on that album seems somewhat haphazard. _Miscellaneous T_ might also be a contender in that category, since the songs on that were not really intended to "flow," but I've only heard those songs on _Then_. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106211751.26032.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: First time I heard TMBG...? Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:17:51 PST >I'm trying to cough enough money up to buy Then ... which makes it >pointless for me to own Misc. T, but oh well. Well, _Misc. T_ does have the single mix of "Hotel Detective," which isn't on _Then_. >I'm just wondering >if They'll play here soon so I can catch my first TMBG concert ... >what a >trip! ;) Wouldn't it actually be more of a trip if you had to travel a long distance to see Them? (Sorry, that was a terrible pun.) -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan, showing you the way when summer brings you down DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <7880f177.3693d422@aol.com> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:22:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: It has resulted to this. Okay, everyone and their sixchanging son (NAME THAT REFERENCE!) has done one of these listies... BEST TMBG SONGS EVER: Sensurround, CPICN, Famous Polka. There. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990106075631.00866730@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 07:56:31 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... At 12:01 AM 1/6/99 -0500, you wrote: >At 11:57 PM 1/5/99 -0500, wagner@mindspring.com wrote: >> >>is this true -- does the fanbase not appreciate pet name? why not? > >As a whole, I'd agree that a large percentage of fans probably don't care >for Pet Name that much...or at least the percentage is higher than most of >Their songs....although I personally really like it. > I used to *hate* petname, it was the song I always got mad when it came on, 'cause I serioously hated it. Though I toughed it out, and did not skip it and go on to the next track. So eventually, much like Oingo Boingo's Piggy, it grew on me and is now a track I enjoy muchly. L "I hate your face B1" DB -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990106215559.11512.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:55:59 -0800 (PST) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: faves, the size of the list ---Jim Kuemmerle wrote:> > > John Henry > > Faves: No One Knows My Plan (I like a good little ditty about psychopathic > > revenge!) > > you left out misc. t, danielle... does "i'll sink manhattan" fall into > your faves? That I did, and that it is! Although I don't like that song as much as I used to, I can relate to the sentiment involved. For the record, my other faves on that album are "Hey, Mr. DJ..." and "The Famous Polka." My least faves are probably "Mr. Klaw" and "When It Rains It Snows." > > Not sure of her magnitude in relation to the list, > > Inspector Over the Mine > > ah, it's easy! *everyone* is bigger than the list! :) Silly me. :) > --jim kuemmerle, who, if he were hollow, could fit a million lists inside > of him... But that would be too fucked up, so you can't! ;) > j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu > http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ Glad to be bigger than the list, Inspector Over the Mine === http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html See, Starvin' Marvin, these are what we call *appetizers*. This is what you eat before you eat to make you more hungry. --Eric Cartman _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003001be39c0$197ed880$5999e7ce@Balloon> From: "Balloon" Subject: TMBG: Favorite Songs Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:01:21 -0500 My favorite TMBG songs? well...I usually say that it's whatever song I'm listening to at the present time... but If i have to say which ones i like best...hmm Fav songs off Pink album: DLS, Absolutely Bills Mood Fav song off misc T: FAMOUS POLKA...what else would you expect? Fav song off Flood: DEAD, Sapphire Bullets Fav song off A18: Space Suit, Fingetips(Heart Attack), See The Constellation Fav song off JH: Nyquil Driver, SPY, No One Knows Fav songs off FS: Bells Are Ringing, Exquisite Dead Guy Fav songs off STD: Planet of the Apes section..duh, First Kiss Fav unreleased songs: 4 of 2, Rest Awhile Fav Songs Live: Faous Polka, No One Knows My Plan(all i can say is CONGA!), Working Undercover For the Man Fav Bands other than TMBG: Moxy Fruvous, Man Or Astroman, Ween ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <250bd1ee.3693f097@aol.com> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:24:07 EST Subject: TMBG:CPICN Out of total curiosity, I've noticed that a lot of people have CPICN on their favs lists. Does anybody who has heard this song not care for it? I dunno, i get a lot out of the song..it hits me in a special way. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:06:25 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: the flow of misc. t Message-ID: On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I would agree with the "rough" part, but I think that the pink album > flows pretty well. So does A18, for that matter. I'd say that FS might > be the most "disjointed," since the order of songs on that album seems > somewhat haphazard. _Miscellaneous T_ might also be a contender in that > category, since the songs on that were not really intended to "flow," > but I've only heard those songs on _Then_. i for one always thought misc. t flowed really well. and i have no idea whether it was by accident or intentional... often, in my compilation-making experience, i'll juxtapose two songs with no specific purpose in mind, only to find that they fit together much better than i could have ever guessed a priori... my favorite example of this is following an aria from mozart's "don giovanni" (i've forgotten which one) with "barbara ann" by the beach boys... --jim kuemmerle, who doesn't suggest trying that until i figure out which aria it was... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:04:56 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: damn you guys Message-ID: <19990106.192405.-254541.2.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Ummmm ... Peer pressure :P Mysterio Gal (truffles for everyone) *all misspelled words are comercially korrect* MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:53:41 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: CD collecting Message-ID: <19990106.192405.-254541.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >into some harder stuff (Metallica, 311, Soundgarden) while remaining >quirky (Wierd Al). What do you all think? Hmmm, as for hard stuff and me (which is not much) I like Rammstien, and I can sit patiently through Marylin Manson and Nine Inch Nails (tho' I have none of their albums) I don't know much about "hard" music, so don't poke fun ;) But I definitely listen to quirky music i.e. Devo, Negativland, Eno, Pink Floyd, Tom Waites, Danny Elfman, etc. I have a few friends at my skool that I would classify as "floodies" because they like TMBG but they are only familiar with Particle Man. These kids are heavily into Metallica, Marylin Manson, and Nine Inch Nails, while, like me, they are also into Frank Black, and Radiohead. Then there is this other kid, that I'd like to refer to as a S-E-X-X-Y, because he is completely into the remix, to the point of wanting to own a copy, but it's the ONLY TMBG he's familiar with, this guy is really big on raves and Techno. Also there's another friend I'd like to refer to as a Pink, or a Blue Dog, or maybe just self titled *hyuk*, because the only TMBG she's ever interested in listening to is Don't Let's Start, or She's An Angel. This girl is big on Nine Inch Nails, The Beatles, and Simon and Garfunkel, with Interest in Talking Heads. Then there's my other good buddy who is a hardcore Giants fan, we tend to break into song every once in a while, ranging from the Pink Album to Severe Tire Damage, knowledge of lyrics, and who can sing more TMBG songs really loud amoung large crowds of people has made us into TMBG rivals :) I don't really know what other kinds of music she listens to, because when we talk about the Audio Universe, it usually refers to our good friends, John & John. >Bjorky Mysterio Gal (truffles for everyone) *all misspelled words are comercially korrect* MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:16:52 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Message-ID: <19990106.192405.-254541.3.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 11:42:44 -0800 "Spencer Owen" writes: >I don't know how often this question is asked, since I'm new to the >list... and I'd just like to know... >What is your picks for best TMBG song? ummm, Sentimental, Hotel Detective (B-side version), Dr. Worm, Mrs. Train, Birdhouse, Demo DLS, Chesspeice face... ah the list goes on and on :) best TMBG album? I'd have to pick Apollo 18 worst TMBG >song? This is a toughee, I never cared for Letterbox cause it's too hard to sing along with. I don't care for S-E-X-X-Y, and often skip it, cause it kinda goes against the grain. These are pretty much the only two songs I have any sort of problem with. >Oh, and also, what are you guys' favorite bands aside from TMBG? I >don't mean to get TOO off topic, but I'd like to know what else you >guys like so I can get into it too. You REALLY do not have to answer >this, but if you feel like it, you may. ummm, Mono Puff, Negativland, R.E.M., Tori Amos, Bjork, Devo, Eno, Danny Elfman, Firehose, Mr. Bungle, Trotsky Icepick, Aha, The Cure, Pink Floyd, and much more... >"now you're the only one that can tell me if it's true, that you love >me, and i love me..." >- spencer Mysterio Gal (truffles for everyone) *all misspelled words are comercially korrect* MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19990106194640.007c39c0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:46:40 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 11:42:44 -0800 "Spencer Owen" writes: > >Oh, and also, what are you guys' favorite bands aside from TMBG? I >don't mean to get TOO off topic, but I'd like to know what else you >guys like so I can get into it too. You REALLY do not have to answer >this, but if you feel like it, you may. Barenaked Ladies (aside from 'Stunt'), Ben Folds Five, Devo, Elastica, Everclear, Lincoln, Mono Puff, Moxy Fruvous, the Presidents of the United States of America, the Residents, Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet, That Dog, Tuscadero, Velocity Girl, XTC, and "Weird Al" Yankovic. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199901070118.UAA27508@pop.snet.net> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 20:15:13 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... > > This is a toughee, I never cared for Letterbox cause it's too hard to > sing along with. I don't care for S-E-X-X-Y, and often skip it, cause it > kinda goes against the grain. let me tell you... the first time i heard S-E-X-X-Y, i fell in love. i was in the shower... and if you can imagine a girl boogying down to a shampoo bottle (minus the nakedness, because you just don't need to be imagining that :P) that's about what it was. i think it's great that there's no other TMBG songs like it at all. and it's neat-o in it's own little way. jen- now the queen of naked e-mails ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19990106202431.007aaad0@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:24:31 -0500 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: TMBG: All My Favorite (And Least Favorite) Things I can't really explain why I like that stuff I like. Actually I just thought about it. I DO know why I like it. I like the stuff that usually rises to a crescendo and/or has tremendously great lyrics. I just know that all the stuff I like least was the most catchy stuff off the album and that since it was so catchy soon became overplayed, or seemingly overplayed since I noticed it more than the other stuff. Favorite Album(s): John Henry and Lincoln Least Favorite Album: Flood Favorite Songs: Youth Culture Killed My Dog, Pencil Rain (This song is really touching. I don't know. The first time I actually listened to the words and had a grasp of what was being said, I believe I almost cried), Where Your Eyes Don't Go, The World's Address (I love the salsiness(?)), Nightgown of The Sullen Moon, The Famous Polka, Men And Women, Twisting, Hall of Heads, Turn Around, Dirt Bike, Self Called Nowhere, No One Knows My Plan, Til My Head Falls Off, Spiraling Shape, James K. Polk (A.P. History really brings this song out), Bells Are Ringing, First Kiss, Mrs. Train Least Favorite Songs: She's An Angel (I'm so sorry, but it has just lost it's magic), Ana Ng (The first few lines about the gun perpendicular is great, but it just gets too repetitive), The Guitar, Snail Shell, End Of The Tour (See beginning of Mail), How Can I Sing Like A Girl? Other Music I listen to: Ben Folds Five, Led Zeppelin, Less Than Jake, Phish, Widespread Panic, Black Crowes, Beethoven, Cashmere Jungle Lords (a great local, sorta surf, sorta spanish, sorta good ol' rock band from Richmond, VA. Please buy their cd's, or feel free to email them $1000 bills. I really want them to be able to make a new album so I can get more hard copies of their music.) Ben "O Freunde, nicht diese Tone! Sondern laBt uns angenehmere anstimmen und freudenvollere!"-Beethoven's Ninth Symphony P.S.-I've just recently "discovered" classical music, due largely in part to Mr. Ben Folds' Fear of Pop Volume 1. I encourage anyone to listen to classical music with the volume turned all the way up. The best part is that they have all this stuff in the library so you can just get it for free. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990107022442.3407.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: the flow of misc. t Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 18:24:41 PST Jim Kuemmerle wrote: >i for one always thought misc. t flowed really well. and i have no >idea >whether it was by accident or intentional... often, in my >compilation-making experience, i'll juxtapose two songs with no >specific >purpose in mind, only to find that they fit together much better than >i >could have ever guessed a priori... my favorite example of this is >following an aria from mozart's "don giovanni" (i've forgotten which >one) with "barbara ann" by the beach boys... On a mix tape that I made, "Shoehorn With Teeth" is followed by "Spiraling Shape." For some reason, the transition between these two works quite well. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (who will make you go insane, but everyone wants to see that groovy thing) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34B30E90.7F60@rica.net> Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 00:11:44 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Talk of the Nation Real Audio Hey! TMBG on Talk of the Nation can be heard at http://programs.npr.org/archives/totn/Day.cfm?Date=12/30/98&Program_ID=TOTN&FileName=TOTN123098 in Real Audio. I'm listening to it right now and it is suepoib! And welcome back LDB and Jim K Joey, bigger than the bread box * ---------------------------------------------------------------- Harlan Ellison on PI last night, Penn & Teller on Conan tonight, TMBG right now. It's good to be up late ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36944341.35FA@maristb.marist.edu> Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 00:16:49 -0500 From: Misty Subject: TMBG: Favs, Least Favs, etc. Well, I was just going to name them, but I guess I'll break it down album-by-album. Never met a bandwagon I couldn't jump on, I guess. Oh, BTW, since Misc. T was pretty well encapsulated in Then, I'll save my favs/least favs of Misc T until my Then listing. The Eponymous Album: Favs--Number Three, Don't Let's Start, Alienation's For the Rich, Hope That I Get Old Before I Die, Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes Least Favs--Boat of Car, The Day (I used to hate it, but it's growing on me, yet still merits a least favorite mention) Lincoln: Favs--Cowtown, Shoehorn With Teeth, Snowball in Hell (I even quoted it in a short story of mine--check it out on the Stories and Essays section of my web site--http://lavender.fortunecity.com/fullmonty/22/mywebpage.htm), Kiss Me, Son of God, They'll Need a Crane, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Pencil Rain, Mr. Me Least Favs--You'll Miss Me Flood: Favs--Lucky Ball and Chain, Istanbul, Particle Man, Women and Men, Birdhouse in your Soul Least Favs--They Might Be Giants, Hearing Aid Apollo 18: Favs--I Pallindrome I, See the Constellation, The Guitar, Dinner Bell (simply because it introduced me to the idea of Pavlov's dogs, something that came in handy in my Intro to Psychology class; in fact, whenever my professor would mention it, I'd think of either this song or Barbara Feldon), Spider Least Favs--Dig My Grave, the Wreck My Car bit of Fingertips P.S. This is the TMBG album I'm most indifferent about John Henry: Favs--Meet James Ensor, No one Knows My Plan (makes me think of Space Ghost every time I hear it), Spy (except the end--okay, you're a full band now, but experiment with the new sound someplace else, please), The End of the Tour Least Favs: Subliminal, Window, Thermostat, Stomp Box, A Self Called Nowhere (again, used to hate it, but slowly growing on me, still merits a mention) Factory Showroom: Favs--Spiralling Shape, Your Own Worst Enemy, James K. Polk, The Bells Are Ringing, Til My Head Falls Off Least Favs--XTC vs. Atom Ant, SEXXY, Pet Name, I Can Hear You (okay for an EP, I guess, but not for an album that's already short on songs) Then: Favs--Hey Mr. DJ, Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, Famous Polka, It's Not My Birthday, For Science, Greek Number Three, Weep Day, The Big Big Whoredom, Doris Cunningham, Critic Intro, Children Singing Particle Man Least Favs--Hello Radio, World's Address Remix, Counterfit Fake Severe Tire Damage: Favs--Dr. Worm, Why Does the Sun Shine (realy cool), the STD theme, Meet James Ensor Least Favs--They Got Lost, XTC vs. Atom Ant, SEXXY (really not much of a difference between FS version and live one on these two songs), the Planet of the Apes tracks (I know that they're cool when you actually see it in concert, but on a CD they're kind of blah) Why Does the Sun Shine EP: Favs--title track, Jessica Least Favs--Whirlpool Back to Skull EP: Favs--Hotel Detective, Mrs. Train Least Fav--Snail Shell (while it didn't make my list of least fav JH songs, I really wouldn't have put it on a single) SEXXY EP: Favs--We've Got a World That Swings, SenSurround Least Favs--Unforgotten, SEXXY Remix (for cryin' out loud, it's seven minutes long!) Favorite Album: Lincoln Least Favorite Album: John Henry Adding to my already humongous e-mail, I'd just like to say that Cherry Poppin' Daddies are not a poser band just because they came along after Squirrel Nut Zippers (BTW, I like them both, as well as Garbage and Mono Puff, and that's about it for bands other than TMBG, at least for now). In the world of country music, Martina McBride came along after Reba McIntire, but that doesn't make Martina a poser country artist, does it? Misty ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003b01be3a09$ea1df0e0$5999e7ce@Balloon> From: "Balloon" Subject: TMBG: does anyone have mp3s of the singles Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:49:44 -0500 I'm trying to find MP3s of the singles that are out of print...PLEASE HELP!! -Hell Hotel [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-7 *****************************