Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #14-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 14, Number 8 Friday, 8 January 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg mention, for those of you keeping score... TMBG: TMBG - Do they mean us?! TMBG: Dr. Spock's Backup Band, Jackyl's site? TMBG: Re: Dial-a-Song Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... TMBG: SEXXY Bass Re: TMBG: SEXXY Bass TMBG: Interesting item on eBay web site item#52948831: They Might Be Giants Re: TMBG: SEXXY Bass Re: TMBG: TMBG - Do they mean us?! Re: TMBG: TMBG - Do they mean us?! Re: TMBG: Favorite Songs NON-TMBG: digital watches and other harf... TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Re: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Re: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Re: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Re: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Non-TMBG: OMLTs Re: TMBG: TMBG - Do they mean us?! Re: Non-TMBG: OMLTs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 07:48:05 EST Subject: TMBG: tmbg mention, for those of you keeping score... -- www.blender.com ---- history of band names -------1981: Frankie Goes to Hollywood- "Taken from a newspaper headline touting the beginning of Frank Sinatra's film career. Touched off a string of 80's band names taken from headlines and movie posters: Fine Young Cannibals, They Might Be Giants, Johnny Hates Jazz. For that they should pay." sarah ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:55:22 +0000 Subject: TMBG: TMBG - Do they mean us?! Just back off holiday (well, since you ask, yes Australia was very enjoyable - lots of wildlife and beach but 24 hours traveling is tough on the body) and among numerous bit of post was the latest issue of Q magazine with the following piece in the concert listings section (page 138 for those who get the magazine but missed the piece):- They Might Be Giants Another band whose subterranean British profile since the late *80*s hit Birdhouse In Your Soul hides continuing US success, where unbelievably, singer John Flansburgh was recently votes eighth in Time magazine*s Person O The Century poll. The original duo of Flansburgh and John Linell have ditched their backing tapes and now perform with a seven piece band. Early song such as Istanbul have undergone a dramatic live overhaul, as heard on recent live album Severe Tire Damage. Sadly the album also reveals They Might Be Giants still deal in the kind of whacky, nerdy humour that shortened their shelf-life in Britain. The fact they*re massively popular among US internet users speaks volumes. Ends Do they mean us! I think they do. By the way I had over 1,000 emails wainting for me at work. Most were from you lot! Richard ------------------------------ From: "Stephen Shores" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Spock's Backup Band, Jackyl's site? Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:58:54 -0500 Message-Id: <19990107101447.dd312d85a42711d2af6e0000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> HEy there, I'm missing Track 4 off of the Dr. Spock's Backup Band bootleg. I downloaded the other tracks from Jackyl's site, but it doesn't seem to be up anymore. Has he moved sites, shut down permanently, or what? Does anyone know where I might find an mp3 of Track 4 off that recording? Thanks, Stephen ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 08:02:50 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Re: Dial-a-Song >>Anyone called (718)387-6962 recently? > >Was it "The Feel-Good Sublet"? Someone on the newsgroup was >complaining that DAS has been playing that one too much recently. Yes it was. It's great. I happen to like their more "minimalist" efforts, as seen in my recent affinity and affection for "Mainstream U.S.A.," "The Big Big Whoredom," "Fake Out in Buenos Aires," "Mr. Klaw," etc. "ohhhhh...i see, back on that time is money kick?" "not back on it, joe. still on it." --spencer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990107173104.11605.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh yeah...one more thing... Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:31:03 PST >>Oh, and also, what are you guys' favorite bands aside from TMBG? I >>don't mean to get TOO off topic, but I'd like to know what else you >>guys like so I can get into it too. You REALLY do not have to answer >>this, but if you feel like it, you may. Talking Heads/David Byrne Philip Glass Steely Dan Hum Portishead Phish Mono Puff (duh) Harvey Danger and many more... *Mike* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990107175913.5205.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: TMBG: SEXXY Bass Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:59:13 PST >I happen to love "S-E-X-X-Y." Mr. Cragin does some good work on that >one. Actually, I think it's Mr. Maby. But yes, he does indeed do good work. I also like the verse that starts 'look inside your mind' and there's that little drum part in the background going deet-do-de-doo-doo-de-deet-do. That part makes me grin until my face hurts every time i hear it. Right now, this very second, my favorite TMBG song is Stompbox. Would you all like for me to update you every time it changes? Everyone seems so interested in each others favorite songs, I'd be happy to set up a separate list where we could all send an email to the list every time our favorite tmbg song changes. We could also set up a web site where we could all post our entire CD collections and provide statistical analysis. Wouldn't that be fun? Oops since i've started writing, my favorite TMBG song has changed to The Replacements. I'll keep you all posted. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:17:47 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY Bass I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :) It's fun to know what other people think about Their music. I was the one that introduced the question, anyway. Also, a lot of people happen to not like Toddler Hiway. I say it's great. It's their weirdest song on any album by FAR (except for You'll Miss Me - ugh! - and Exquisite Dead Guy - yay!) and I love it. In S-E-X-X-Y, I thought it was Mr. Cragin because he co-wrote the song...I'll have to do some research. "how'm i s'posed to let you know the way i feel about you?" --spencer >>> "Todd Wetherbee" 01/07 9:59 AM >>> >>I happen to love "S-E-X-X-Y." Mr. Cragin does some good work on that >>one. >Actually, I think it's Mr. Maby. But yes, he does indeed do good work. >I also like the verse that starts 'look inside your mind' and there's >that little drum part in the background going >deet-do-de-doo-doo-de-deet-do. That part makes me grin until my face >hurts every time i hear it. > >Right now, this very second, my favorite TMBG song is Stompbox. Would >you all like for me to update you every time it changes? Everyone seems >so interested in each others favorite songs, I'd be happy to set up a >separate list where we could all send an email to the list every time >our favorite tmbg song changes. We could also set up a web site where >we could all post our entire CD collections and provide statistical >analysis. Wouldn't that be fun? Oops since i've started writing, my >favorite TMBG song has changed to The Replacements. I'll keep you all >posted. > >Farside ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:47:25 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199901071847.NAA02424@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: hellhotel@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Interesting item on eBay web site item#52948831: They Might Be Giants - Dial -A- Song now this is just retarded...it was $47 earlier...i can see some misguided soul with a lot of $$ paying that much for this but, THIS IS RIDICULOUS!! who the HELL would pay this much for this?? -Baffled Hell Hotel Title of item: They Might Be Giants - Dial -A- Song Seller: nathan@amouse.net Starts: 12/31/98 15:32:45 PST Ends: 01/07/99 15:32:45 PST Price: Currently $82.00 To bid the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=52948831 Item Description: They Might Be Giants - Dial -A- Song This collection of unreleaseed songs and Dial a songs are pure sweetness and a MUST have for any TMBG fan. I got it in CD-R form from a friend. It's my guess that its a bootleg since I have never heard of it. Now I offer it to you in CD-R form. 1. Countdown Into 2. On the Drag 3. When Tornados Take Over the World 4. Stormy Pinkness 5. We Just Go Nuts at Christmas Time 6. Token Back To Brooklyn (Demo) 7. Feel Good Sublet 8. Rat Patrol 9. Maine 10. Don't Make me Kill You Again 11. Triptap 12. Summer Breeze 13. 25 O'Clock 14. Rat Patrol 15. 4 of 2 16. Reprehensible 17. Certain People I could Name 18. Edison Museum 19. Rest a While 20. Operators are standing by 21. Dark and Metric 22. Finished With Lies 23. One More Parade 24. Living Doll 25. Frankenstein 26. Hell Hotel 27. Maybe I Know 28. 120 Minutes 29. Bunch O' Live stuff $1.50 Shipping, Good Luck!! Visit eBay, the world's largest Personal Trading Community at http://www.ebay.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990107185854.27715.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY Bass Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:58:54 PST >I can=27t tell if you=27re being sarcastic or not. :) It=27s fun to know = >what other people think about Their music. I was the one that introduced = >the question, anyway. Yes, well I may have been a bit sarcastic there at the end. But the part about the drums in SEXXY was for real. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:00:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG - Do they mean us?! In a message dated 1/7/99 9:40:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, rhilton@bitc.org.uk writes: << The fact they*re massively popular among US internet users speaks volumes. >> Hey..I feel offended...I'm not an internet..wait...I am..yeah! and Damn proud of it too! The internet is what separates us from the animals! -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for eternity Sponsored by the Alterian Robotics Corporation, building armies of blood thirsty robots for power hungry dictators for over 50 years. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:53:12 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG - Do they mean us?! Message-ID: On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 Alterian@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 1/7/99 9:40:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, > rhilton@bitc.org.uk writes: > > << The fact they*re massively popular among US internet users > speaks volumes. >> > Hey..I feel offended...I'm not an internet..wait...I am..yeah! and Damn > proud of it too! The internet is what separates us from the animals! That, and digital watches. Jim! ------------------------------ From: LinnellLvr@aol.com Message-ID: <3a4806ce.369539ad@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:48:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite Songs I will always hold the torch highest for "Ana Ng". That song is my absolute favorite out of all songs in all the universe. I personally love all of TMBG's songs, though there are some I could definately like a lot more. The only songs of Theirs I have ever actually disliked are "The Big Big Whoredom", "Boat of Car", and my most hated (but still loved somewhat, though I don't know why...wait, yes I do, I'm a TMBG fangirl, that's why) song of Theirs of all time, "Swing is a Word" (UGH!!!). Well, anyway, there's my .02 yen. Thanks for reading it. Leslie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:55:50 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: digital watches and other harf... Message-ID: On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Jim wrote: > > Hey..I feel offended...I'm not an internet..wait...I am..yeah! and Damn > > proud of it too! The internet is what separates us from the animals! > > That, and digital watches. hey, now *i* feel offended. digital watches are pretty darn neat. in fact, i'm wearing one right now. (JIM presses a little button on his spiffy digital watch, thereby illuminating the numbers from behind in a neat shade of blue, and silently thanks Bob that radium isn't somehow involved.) --jim kuemmerle, who's glad he doesn't take x-rays of his feet for shoe-fitting either... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: LinnellLvr@aol.com Message-ID: <88aa151e.36953b7e@aol.com> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:55:58 EST Subject: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Looking through a few posts, I've noticed a distinct lack of liking around the list for "Pet Name". Now, to each his own, of course, and not to offend anyone, but may I pose a simple "why"? It's my favorite song on Factory Showroom, I think it's a simply wonderful song, and I'd just like to know why it seems to be so disliked. Sorry again, Leslie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01be3a93$f98fb1a0$d05133cf@ccampbell> From: "Feeny -aka- Chris Campbell" Subject: Re: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:18:01 -0500 I totally agree! Pet name is one of the greatest songs around! I dont know why anyonw would dislike it. -My $.01 -Chris -Feeny- Campbell >Looking through a few posts, I've noticed a distinct lack of liking around the >list for "Pet Name". Now, to each his own, of course, and not to offend >anyone, but may I pose a simple "why"? It's my favorite song on Factory >Showroom, I think it's a simply wonderful song, and I'd just like to know why >it seems to be so disliked. > >Sorry again, >Leslie > ------------------------------ From: OHLERT@accuwx.com Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 23:59:37 +0000 (GMT) Subject: Re: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Message-id: <01J6A0JW8U9EA0Y2FC@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc >Looking through a few posts, I've noticed a distinct lack of liking around the >list for "Pet Name". Now, to each his own, of course, and not to offend >anyone, but may I pose a simple "why"? It's my favorite song on Factory >Showroom, I think it's a simply wonderful song, and I'd just like to know why >it seems to be so disliked. > >Sorry again, >Leslie Pet Name also happens to be one of my FS favorites. I love the sorta George Benson feel the song has. What I don't like is that they insist playing it in the dark on most of their live shows. That stage gesture I don't understand. (I also think it would be cool if they went into an extended jam on this song live, its so ripe for it. But I guess the jazz improv slot has already been taken by Spy.) Peter p.s. Leslie, don't appoligize for your opinions, that all they are, and we should all be able to respect that... ohlert@accuwx.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990108031659.14997.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:16:59 PST Well, "Pet Name" is a bit slow, and it doesn't really sound like much else that TMBG have done. (I guess those could be seen as either good things or bad things, though.) I didn't really like the song the first few times I heard it, but I think it's growing on me. I do like the lyrics, especially "You said that love was just a lie, but I could tell that you were lying." -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:45:29 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: What's wrong with Pet Name? In a message dated 99-01-07 22:19:30 EST, you write: << I do like the lyrics, especially "You said that love was just a lie, but I could tell that you were lying." >> I think that Pet Name is a big step for TMBG. It's mroe of an "open" song than most They do. I'm sure a lot of songs have more of a personal meaning than the lyrics would let on, and Pet Name leaves the meaning more stark and open, which is a hard thing to do for a songwriter. I tend to categorize it with End of the Tour, in the sense that they are both more mellow and emotional songs. Maybe that's wrong, but it makes sense to me. I really like Pet Name, it's my favortie track on FS... Graham ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990108045931.00738970@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 23:59:31 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: OMLTs I hate to beat a dead horse but... What in the harf was the last status of the OMLTs? Wasn't someone new taking over? What happened to them? Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Women don't like guys who are dangerous. Women just want us to think that because women are trying to kill us." - Dennis Miller ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <7914256a.3695920c@aol.com> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:05:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG - Do they mean us?! They Might Be Giants still deal in the kind of whacky, nerdy humour that shortened their shelf-life in Britain. The fact they*re massively popular among US internet users speaks volumes. wow.... I've been mentioned in a British news article as a part of the masses... >sniff< doesnt it just... beat all? one step closer to fame, batbrain ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 01:46:07 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: OMLTs In a message dated 1/7/99 8:59:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu writes: << I hate to beat a dead horse but... What in the harf was the last status of the OMLTs? Wasn't someone new taking over? What happened to them? >> You'll need a crane, You'll need crane.... -kreadoubt "Can I have my dollar back?" JL ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #14-8 *****************************