Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 10 Wednesday, 10 February 1999 Today's Topics: Re: mostly non TMBG: irritated grumblings, weezer, music recs and other crap Re: mostly non TMBG: irritated grumblings, weezer, music recs and other crap TMBG: Re: nonTMBG (yes, another one) BF in SNZ vid, and rent TMBG: i made art out of threads! (re: ben, commodore 64, apple II, school co NON-TMBG: Yay, more off-topic drivel!!! Re: NON-TMBG: Yay, more off-topic drivel!!! TMBG: Lassie, do not apologize for off topic posting. [innanity from Re: NON-TMBG: Yay, more off-topic drivel!!! Re: TMBG: tmbg reference in You Don't Know Jack Movies TMBG: Song title question Re: TMBG: Song title question NON-TMBG: Another album recommendation Re: NON-TMBG: Another album recommendation TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s TMBG: Opening Bands nonTMBG: A new Idol Virus song. TMBG: The Shocking Truth About School Colors Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Re: NON-TMBG: Another album recommendation Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Re: TMBG: Opening Bands Re: TMBG: Re: nonTMBG (yes, another one) BF in SNZ vid, and rent Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s yet mo' non-TMBG: Dr. Who, gripes TMBG: RE:NON-Tmbg:C64, Apple II TMBG: The Johns' Birthdays TMBG: Re: TMBG reference on the 60s Re: TMBG: The Shocking Truth About School Colors Re: TMBG: Opening Bands TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: Opening Bands Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again TMBG: RE: Bands like TMBG... TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) TMBG: OMLT's Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: The Johns' Birthdays Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s TMBG: best minds of whose generation again? Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again semi-TMBG: The 60s Re: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s (and OMLT's, now) Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s (and OMLT's, now) Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <950a2397.36bf7387@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:30:15 EST Subject: Re: mostly non TMBG: irritated grumblings, weezer, music recs and other crap In a message dated 99-02-08 17:07:33 EST, hotel_detective1@juno.com writes: << i struggled to think of a good recommendation that hasn't already been mentioned... >> hm. the moody blues! yes! rush! steve vai! hooray for prog rock! everyone go out and buy steve howe's newest solo album, "quantum guitar!" now, dammit! :) really, it seems as if--aside from tmbg and its flansburghian spinoff mono puff--my musical tastes seem to differ vastly from that of the rest of you. i plead innocence: my dabbling in the world of guitar has drastically altered my tastes, for better or worse. however, my employer erika and limzingersarah are both endeavoring to bring me back to the side of the light ... pray that their efforts are succesful. for now, bring on the ragtime! peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <016a01be53bf$5d264280$336056d1@computer> Subject: Re: mostly non TMBG: irritated grumblings, weezer, music recs and other crap Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:01:35 -0500 >Squirrel Nut Zippers are Very Cool. they had Ben Folds in a video! >hooray! > really? what video? david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:39:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: nonTMBG (yes, another one) BF in SNZ vid, and rent Message-ID: <19990208.193918.9846.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae >Squirrel Nut Zippers are Very Cool. they had Ben Folds in a video! >hooray! > >>really? what video? the video is for "suits are picking up the bill." and, i know there's been much objecting to off-topic massing, but, as was pointed out earlier, what else is there to talk about when all is quiet on The Giant Front? but it's a funny video, so this is what happened... the Squirrel Nut Zippers are out for a quiet dinner. after dodging scads of papparazi, they sit down to eat when, All Of A Sudden - a cage drops on them! "what could be happening?" you may ask. well, it turns out that the Zippers themselves are to be dinner for the other customers (Jim Mathus comes at 5 bucks a pound - Katherine Whalen comes with a side of sauteed mushrooms)! fortunatly, they are saved by a money who had come to dine with them (although i don't know why) and the Zippers make a speedy escape. at the very end in of the video, none other than Ben Folds walks in and asks, "excuze me? can i still be served?" and is greeted by malicious grins from the chef and maitre-de. the end. i apologize if i've annoyed anyone. oh, and whoever said they were looking for someone who liked Rent... i do! :-) ever-sincere, eriKa, who's just a phone call to Brooklyn... "You think I'm in love with Continental Shoemakers?" - Tom Wingfield, The Glass Menagerie ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <3d18cb81.36bf8946@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:03:02 EST Subject: TMBG: i made art out of threads! (re: ben, commodore 64, apple II, school colours) http://members.aol.com/limezinger/threads.jpg wahhooooooooo! ;) and i did it all for each and every one of you. sarah ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <48425358.36bfa405@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:57:09 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Yay, more off-topic drivel!!! A little question for all ye merry Utah listees, Has Moxy Fruvous EVER come here?!?!? And if not, why not. If it is good enough for good king Winceslas it should be good enough for them. Are they afraid of our rabbi's? Jeff "can you find the 4 mistakes in this paragraph" Craig ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <696afc02.36bfb4cb@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:08:43 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Yay, more off-topic drivel!!! In a message dated 99-02-08 23:03:19 EST, ErgoTM@aol.com writes: << Are they afraid of our rabbi's? >> just me, baby. just me. jay. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990208211155.0082a100@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 21:11:55 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: Lassie, do not apologize for off topic posting. [innanity from >the end. i apologize if i've annoyed anyone. > I remember my days as a coal miner. I was a very suave coal miner. The ladies loved the suave coal miner named LDB. I'd walk forty miles to work, eighty five back... you see I lived in a houseboat which would change it's location durring high tide. I liked the way the house moved at night. The sound and the motion helped send me to a perfect land of rest and relaxation. A land where I could sleep comfortably without any thoughts of Bob Denver coming and munching on my head, as if I were in some strange Deep Thoughts sketch. It was there I could dream of having a life outside of being a coal miner. I dreamt about cleaning up my act and becoming a dirty sailor. I understand it was not much of a jump from being a coal miner, but a step up in any direction was all I was looking for. I would ride the boats looking for that lost crockadile named moby jaws who stole my last piece of bubble gum. It was my favorite bubblegum. It was striped in a way that reminded me of the multi packs of PEZ those scurvy dogs out at sea, would never understand. Being a pirate sick of the waves, I would dream of going into the more respectful profesion of the coal miner. Coal mining was a job I figured I could do, and we could easilly supplement my parrot for the canary in the mines. Everyone loved me, now that I was a coal miner, and I made many friends. In fact, I made many lovers too. One day I had sex with one of my other coworkers, and was thrown into jail. Guess it goes to show you, you should never sleep with a miner. L "Anime wa mimasen" D "Anime wa watashi o mimasu" B -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:59:24 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Yay, more off-topic drivel!!! Message-ID: <19990208.230516.3590.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > A little question for all ye merry Utah listees, Has Moxy >Fruvous EVER come >here?!?!? hahaa... sorry, the closest they've been is Colorado... but hey, i went right through OOtah on my way to the last frushow i was at in LA. Oh yeah, fun stops in Beaver, UT and bambi's cafe :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Wasatch you say?::: OOtah clan '97 back again :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902090645.BAA73318@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 01:45:54 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg reference in You Don't Know Jack Movies At 02:32 PM 2/8/99 -0500, Sarah Starr wrote: >I dunno if anyone else has seen this before, but in the game You Don't >Know Jack Movies there is the following question: If I'm not mistaken, the original YDKJ has a TMBG reference as well. Something about combining band names with other word (forgive me, I don't remember exactly), and the correct answer was They Might Be Ishtar --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:44:26 +1100 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19990209184400.1d4f00a0@mail.hinet.net.au> From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Song title question What's the name of the song covered by TMBG (performed at concerts? I've got it on a video of an in-store) with the lyric "We're off to the drugstore to whistle at girls"? Who's it by? -Ryan --- More music! Less money! 18/01/99: Back To The Future Part II: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (German LP) Frente!: Marvin The Album (Australian CD) TISM: Collected Recordings 1986-93 (Australian 4CD box set) 22/01/99: They Might Be Giants: S-E-X-X-Y (US promo CD) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 03:01:58 -0500 (EST) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: Song title question Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Ryan Mooney wrote: > What's the name of the song covered by TMBG (performed at concerts? I've > got it on a video of an in-store) with the lyric "We're off to the drugstore > to whistle at girls"? Who's it by? > This would be Walt Kelly's "Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow". And I don't think they perform it often, but it has been a part of their repertoire for years. MIKe http://www.journalx.com - 2nd anniversary on Feb.10! Last CD purchased: Art Of Noise - Who's Afraid Of The Art Of Noise? Last LP purchased: Joe Jackson - Look Sharp! Last film seen: eXistenZ (directed by David Cronenberg) Last food eaten: soy nuts ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:10:15 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: NON-TMBG: Another album recommendation Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > song. As for Moxy Fruvous, I might buy their next studio album new (if I can't find it > used first.he!he!) Good! Based on what I've heard, it should be one heck of an album. > You guys who are 19 are lucky because you're going to be 20 soon. Being > 20 is the best. You think that being 21 is going to be the best, but > you're wrong. Nononono! What madness is this?! I did NOT like being 20, at least for the 2nd half of that year. I had to sneak into a 21+ Eddie From Ohio show. I will not even attempt to explain my state of mind upon discovering that the first Moxy Fruvous (hey, tying two threads together!) show in San Francisco in *4* *stinking* *years* would be 21+ (two months before my 21st birthday)... suffice it to say that I moped for a week. (It turned out ok... the show was all ages all along, and Ticketweb had gotten it wrong (they do that a lot, actually; order tickets from them if you must (and they are reliable; I've used them), but take the information they provide with an unusually large grain of salt )... but even Jian felt sorry for me. :) I love being 21, for no other reason than that I no longer have to worry about friggin' age restrictions. > > at all TMBGish, but if you like music with beautiful guitar arrangements, > they are Very Nice. or Belle & Sebastian, although i think they've > already been mentioned. and Pavement. and Wes Cunningham! and Cake... and > the new Beck album. Y'know, I got Belle & Sebastian's _Boy With The Arab Strap_, and, well... it's ethereal and sweet and gentle and... well... blah. :( Is their first one any better? May I plug one of my favorite recent CD purchases? It's, of all things, the "Due South" soundtrack. Out of sheer diversity and eclecticism, it makes my own collection look downright normal. The music (all Canadian bands, natch) veers from Fairport-Convention-esque folk-rock to swank film-noir jazz to a surprisingly stirring ode to horse riders (sung by one of the show's leads and--according to the webpage--the RCMP Choir (stop and picture this for a moment)) to loopy '70's sci-fi pop to, yes, a selection from Dvorak's _Stabat Mater_. Even more amazingly, it all hangs together into a coherent, if decidedly eccentric, whole. Even the requisite incidental music is distinctly above par--for one, it's performed by the likes of Ashley MacIssac. Nicole approves! --nicole twn only 9 more days 'til Eddie From Ohio! Eeeeeee! *** "Don't worry; this will all make sense once you've dropped some acid."--former CS professor, on computer architecture Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 03:17:16 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Another album recommendation In a message dated 99-02-09 03:10:48 EST, nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu writes: << Y'know, I got Belle & Sebastian's _Boy With The Arab Strap_, and, well... it's ethereal and sweet and gentle and... well... blah. :( Is their first one any better? >> Their first one, if you can find it (they're releasing it to the wide world in May), is better than TBWTAS. I think the new one is the weakest of the 3 (the last one, If You're Feeling Sinister, is the best of the bunch). As for ehereal and sweet and gentle, well, all 3 albums are like that. And that's precisely why I like them so much. They're not for everyone, though (although they really should be and I'll be one of the first people to tell you that your life will not be complete without at least having *heard* their music.....whether you become a fan or not isn't important anymore). For some reason B&S remind me a bit of cub---only not as happy/poppy. jennifer "we lay on the bed there, kissing just for practice, could we please be objective, cause the other boys are queing up behind us a hand over my mouth, a hand over the window" b&s *seeing other people* ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 02:20:19 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Message-ID: <11475-36C00BE3-342@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I don't know if any of you watched that movie on NBC about the 60's, appropriatelly titled "The 60s." But in it, there's this charachter named Sara, she's an rebellious college activist, as well as her boyfriend Kenny is. But Kenny started messin up, and he became an obscure enemy of the law, instead of a peace-lovin' movement leader. Anyway, Kenny & Sara eventually break it off, but later, he wants her to come see him again, he says it's desperate. So she does, and he's now in this little bea up apartment, where he's smokin' pot and building a bomb. He then says "I want you to join me in the movement again," or something like that. Sara then gets into this whole speach about the rights and wrongs of America or something, and how she's fighting to help, and within this speech, she says this line, exactly as I'm about to write it..."Kenny, I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.." I know you were expectinhg me to write "Starving, Hysterical," but that's close enough. Sara then leaves, and Kenny blows up a building, but that's not important. For there...Was a TMBG reference! Sayith the lord! Dexburger...who thanks God that he wasn't even alive in the 60s after seeing that movie. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990209051001.008331e0@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 05:10:01 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s >I don't know if any of you watched that movie on NBC about the 60's, >appropriatelly titled "The 60s." But in it, there's this charachter >named Sara, she's an rebellious college activist, as well as her >boyfriend Kenny is. But Kenny started messin up, and he became an >obscure enemy of the law, instead of a peace-lovin' movement leader. >Anyway, Kenny & Sara eventually break it off, but later, he wants her to >come see him again, he says it's desperate. So she does, and he's now in >this little bea up apartment, where he's smokin' pot and building a >bomb. He then says "I want you to join me in the movement again," or >something like that. Sara then gets into this whole speach about the >rights and wrongs of America or something, and how she's fighting to >help, and within this speech, she says this line, exactly as I'm about >to write it..."Kenny, I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by >madness.." I know you were expectinhg me to write "Starving, >Hysterical," but that's close enough. Sara then leaves, and Kenny blows >up a building, but that's not important. For there...Was a TMBG >reference! Sayith the lord! > I'm sorry to ruin your hopes, Dex, but I feel I should be the one to tell you. It was in no way a reference to TMBG. It was a reference to Alan Ginsberg's poem Howl Part I. TMBG borrowed/pilfered/payed homage to the line in their song. Have fun, LDB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C01497.CC549204@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 03:57:32 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Opening Bands PULPSTRESS@aol.com wrote: >Pappas Fritas opened for Blur on their early '97 tour and so many people I >know who caught that tour didn't like them at all. It was the same for That >Dog who opened for them on their '97 summer tour. Blur fans are very picky >when it comes to music. Nah! As long as those Blur fans are high they'll appreciate anything. Just kidding ... but usually when a bunch of rabid fans get together at a concert their not going to like the opening act. Especially when the opener is very unlike the main act. The Blur fans were already preconditioned to most of Blur's songs. Poor Papas Fritas had to go up there and do 7 or so songs no one ever heard for a crowd not necessarily into they're kind of thing. Nonetheless, I think Papas Fritters were a bad choice to open for them. One thing I hate is when the crowd hecklers the opening band! That's what happened when I saw Michael Shelly (sp?) open for TMBG last year. It was mainly one guy in particular yelling "you suck" (and other scathingly witty comments). I think that kind of thing is excusable when the band is deliberately arrogant...and Shelly wasn't. He was distracted by it though. The guy has to concentrate on his music not defending himself to some big mouth. You'll be happy to know that I followed that guy into the parking lot and kicked the shit out of him. -B O N G O Summary: 1) Buy Papas Fritas' "Helioself". 2) Be nice to opening bands. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990209054624.00838350@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 05:46:24 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: nonTMBG: A new Idol Virus song. Well, since I do have a lot of fans on this here list, I'm posting that my new song *The Red Scare* is up at http://www.mp3.com/idolv/ and invite you all to check it out. Lemme know your thoughts on it, when you are done listening. (and any of the other songs if you take a listen) It's a song about my own personal obsession with Joe McCarthy. Have fun. LDB (sometimes Idol Virus) -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C01C3F.7B7FACC4@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:30:14 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: The Shocking Truth About School Colors I saw some of you YELL at someone who complained about off topic posts today. For some reason, I don't think discussing some similar interests is completely off topic especially when its about music. (For example, I was glad to see the REM dates .) However, I think there's blatant disregard for others when you OVER DO IT with pointless WAY off topic stuff like school colors. I can see why a TMBG fan would like to know what other TMBG fans like in music but why on earth would we need to know what your school colors were? You can discuss that with ANYONE! Here's a GREAT place to divulge your school colors to strangers... http://www.geocities.com/cgi-bin/chat/chat_entry You'll find tons of people who'll be glad to chat about such miscellany. As usual, those who agree, please *don't* respond to this message. Those who disagree, I'm sure you'll continue your rudeness no matter what I say. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C04C77.C3FBCAE4@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 09:55:51 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah ErgoTM@aol.com wrote: > > A little question for all ye merry Utah listees, Has Moxy Fruvous EVER come > here?!?!? And if not, why not. If it is good enough for good king Winceslas > it should be good enough for them. Are they afraid of our rabbi's? I'm not a Utah listie, but I do know a lot about Moxy Fruvous. The band is very much built upon grass roots and fan relationships bringing in new fans. When they commit to "new markets" and playing in new cities, it usually doesn't turn out well until they've played there a couple time. So they just creep bigger each time, depending on the travelling fans to come and help out. Over the past year, they played some California shows for the first time in recent memory and did some Colorado dates with the Nields. Plus they played some in Western Canada. They'd be silly to let those markets drop back down again. So mostly, they aren't like a lot of bands. They grow their markets through grassroots and not the radio, so they need to take more care of the cities they play. This makes travelling a lot to places like Utah hard to do. But that's my opinion. It isn't like I actually know anything about it ;) - Chad ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:59:44 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Another album recommendation Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Nicole Carlson wrote: > May I plug one of my favorite recent CD purchases? It's, of all things, > the "Due South" soundtrack. Yay! Due South! I miss that show so much... They had the *best* music, too. "We're gonna ride forever..." hee hee. I can't believe I haven't gotten around to locating that cd yet; I've known about it since it came out. Thanks for reminding me. :) Kirsten "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <47bb7360.36c04aec@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:49:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s ::sarah takes a big sigh:: In a message dated 2/9/99 5:21:00 AM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >"Kenny, I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by >madness.." I know you were expectinhg me to write "Starving, >Hysterical," but that's close enough. Sara then leaves, and Kenny blows >up a building, but that's not important. For there...Was a TMBG >reference! Sayith the lord! it was - NOT - a TMBG reference. the big tipoff here *should* be that this series is based in the 1960's. john and john were born in '59 and '60. now, your english lesson for today. if you've ever read the liner notes to john henry, you'd understand that TMBG was referencing a poem by allen ginsburg. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:04:51 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Bongo wrote: > One thing I hate is when the crowd hecklers the opening band! That really bugs me, too, 'cause you know it can't be easy anyway... When I saw Tori in Grand Rapids, the opening band was less than stellar; I didn't even catch who they were. Some British band whose songs all sounded the same and very un-Tori like. But I was still annoyed when some fourteen-year-olds near me started chanting "TORI! TORI!" It pleased me when the guy standing next to me turned around and told them to stop being rude. They shut up. :) Kirsten (who thinks it's nice to be nice) "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209153150.6617.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: nonTMBG (yes, another one) BF in SNZ vid, and rent Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 07:31:49 PST >fortunatly, they are saved by a money I'm assuming this is actually supposed to be monkey. Unless it really was a money. I'd hope it was a dime, because dimes are always laying around my apartment and I never know how they got there. I'd like to think it's because they're waiting for an opportunity to save me and not because they have an evil plot to destroy my furniture, as my buddy gordo thinks. You know what has an evil plot to take over the human race, though? A lot of people don't know this, but those strange metallic circles that you see all over the place. They're evil. Next time you walk around a public building, especially one with marble floors, look around you. There are strange metallic circles everywhere. They're just biding their time, waiting to strike. i'm just telling you for your own good. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209155640.27673.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 07:56:40 PST > Dexburger...who thanks God that he wasn't even >alive in the 60s after seeing that movie. > young child, do not let the networks impose their agenda upon you by believing it. I wasn't there in the 60's either, and I didn't see the movie, but a network doesn't put out a movie like this without a certain watered down, keep everybody happy agenda. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO CHANGE HISTORY. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209170525.20983.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mad Midget" Subject: yet mo' non-TMBG: Dr. Who, gripes Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 12:05:23 EST >It's official. The last TMBG Digest I received was...boring. >Yes, I'm sorry to say, I'm getting bored reading it. Than stop reading it and go find a novel of great import until this thread blows over. Like maybe "The Five Doctors".... > kinda like in that dr. who episode "the five doctors", where peter > davison's version of the doctor has to step on a bunch of squares in a > specific order or something like that? if i remember right, the answer > was math-based... I love that episode! I have it on tape around here somewheres... No, it wasn't Peter Davidson. It was the 1st Doctor who was supposed to be William Hartnell, but he was dead so they had a pretty decent replacement. And yes, the game was as "easy as pi" according to the Master. I remember reading the novel version of the episode when I was in 2nd grade. All the other kids were reading Berenstein Bears and Dr. Seuss and there I was reading a novel. Hee hee I love this mailing list. Mike the Amused No, I thought, the geek in Colorado had it all wrong. The real problem is how to wallow with the eagles at night and soar with the pigs in the morning. -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C074BB.3F41CCE8@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 12:47:39 -0500 From: Feeny aka Chris Campbell Subject: TMBG: RE:NON-Tmbg:C64, Apple II > > On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Refund wrote: > > > > i owned a commodore 64 from the first grade on. my favorite games on it > > were ghostbusters (by activision) and pirates! (by... uh-oh... i've > > forgotten who that was by.) oh well. YES! I have a C64! (Doubt It works:-( The only games I had were "Outrun"(Still can be found in arcades) A game with ducks and going through a canal, and A Muppet game with a separate special keyboard of some sort. I was only like 2 or 3, but I remember it clearly! Who needs vic120s anyway?!?! The C64, the _-One-_ and _-Only-_ 64 bit computer system! Also, I had a few apple 2s, A reg. apple 2, An Apple 2e, An apple IIc, and another one. I still have the IIc and should play that fun lemonaid game:-) I also have a really old Osborne I, Ever heard of this? How bout a Digital Rainbow 8088? The newest _Oldest_ computer I have is a Mac Classic II. Reporting live from the computer museum, - Feeny, aka Christopher Feeny Campbell -- Feeny@tmbg.org --- Http://w3.to/tmbg ---- "Calling you the nicest things"-they MIGHT BE giants (She's an Angel) "Helms-A-Lee boy, I'm coming about. Dont fill me in on right or wrong" -Moxy Fruvous (Present Tense Tureen) "Nah, Nah Nah Nah, HEY! Nah Nah Nah Nah" -Homer Simpson (The Hey Song) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990209131720.00a89714@goshen.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:17:20 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: TMBG: The Johns' Birthdays >john and john were born in '59 and '60. When are their birthdays? (Also, which one is which ['59 and '60]). ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 12:37:03 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36C0804F.64399CF5@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG reference on the 60s Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > For there...Was a TMBG > reference! Sayith the lord! > Dexburger...who thanks God that he wasn't even > alive in the 60s after seeing that movie. Firstly, no, sadly tis not a TMBG reference. The Lord doesn't take time to point out such things, nor does he hand out frosted donuts at county fairs. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Thankful that he didn't see that movie... Jerry O'Connel can't even pull off Sliders any more! :P" Scott ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:02:47 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: The Shocking Truth About School Colors In a message dated 99-02-09 07:16:33 EST, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << However, I think there's blatant disregard for others when you OVER DO IT with pointless WAY off topic stuff like school colors. I can see why a TMBG fan would like to know what other TMBG fans like in music but why on earth would we need to know what your school colors were? >> I was curious to know what the most popular school colours were. I didn't realise it was going to cause such an uproar or I wouldn't've done it. At least the posts about it were more than just people listing their school colours - some people wrote paragraphs about it, which was way beyond what I expected people to do. It could've been just a bunch of one-liners being sent through, but it wasn't. I don't normally apologise for things I do, but I'm going to make an exception in this case...I'm sorry such a simple question turned into such a problem. I'll only ask about music from this point on. jennifer np *peter panic* blur ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209202715.4503.rocketmail@web308.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:27:15 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands ---Bongo wrote: > One thing I hate is when the crowd hecklers the opening band! That's what happened when > I saw Michael Shelly (sp?) open for TMBG last year. It was mainly one guy in particular > yelling "you suck" (and other scathingly witty comments). I think that kind of thing is > excusable when the band is deliberately arrogant...and Shelly wasn't. He was distracted by > it though. The guy has to concentrate on his music not defending himself to some big > mouth. You'll be happy to know that I followed that guy into the parking lot and kicked > the shit out of him. Yeah it realy bugged me when there were a few people at the westreville show screaming for You Were Spiraling to get off the stage throught their entire set. Personaly I enjoyed them, plus the lead looks vaugly Linnelesque. Perhaps a long-lost younger brother? Actualy that was the only time I remember the opening band being heckled. Of course the other times it was Linclon(twice actualy) and Eddie from Ohio at my first (and sadly only) Fruvous concert. And both those bands are fairly well liked. Speaking of which, does anyone know if EFO is going to be in Columbus Oh. in the near future? == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001601be5469$e2b89740$e2431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:21:50 -0500 We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY TMBG show you've gone to. I'll start this ball rolling: Jonathan Gregg and the Lonesome Devonaires (1989? or was it 1990) lead singer (J. Gregg) tall, lanky guy with a bright red guitar and a cool accent. Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209203416.27319.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 12:34:15 PST > Yeah it realy bugged me when there were a few people at the >westreville show screaming for You Were Spiraling to get off the stage >throught their entire set. I didn't hear this. In fact, I only saw like 4 songs, but it sounded to me like the crowd was cheering vigorously, in fact maybe even more vigorously than was warrented. I mean, they were decent, but they just wouldn't quit playing, even after I started screaming for them to get off the stage, the filthy bastards. The previous statement was a joke. The rest was for real. Thank you. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <188c94de.36c09bcf@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:34:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again In a message dated 99-02-09 15:32:20 EST, greenjello1973@geocities.com writes: << We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY TMBG show you've gone to. >> The first ever concert I went to was TMBG and Pere Ubu was the opening band. They're my favourite of the TMBG opening bands. Lincoln is probably 2nd favourite and 3rd favourite is the one and only Miss Mary Prankster (she opened up the TMBG/Michael Shelley concert in D.C.) jennifer ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:41:02 -0500 Subject: TMBG: RE: Bands like TMBG... Message-ID: <19990209.154412.-261735.1.Cambot@juno.com> Okay, there are bands that try to be like TMBG, but they usually don't get too far. That is the reason that you don't know of anything quite TMBG. They are good at what they do & the copiers usually, quite frankly, suck. Unless it's a copy of a huge band on the radio, you won't find many bands out there that sound like the band you like. You SHOULD NOT buy a Sloan, BFF, Weezer, etc. CD hoping they will be "They Might Be Giants Next Album by Another Band". It just doesn't work that way, folks. Sloan's CDs are Sloan's CDs. Their newest album (& my favorite by them, I might add) may sound Beatle-esque, but they are Sloan & nobody else. Look at a band for what it is: a band, unless it is a blatant copy of another. I honestly doubt that any of the bands Bongo mentioned that he was disappointed with were aspiring to be They Might Be Giants. They are each aspiring to make music they like to play & figure out a way to make a living off of it, not how they can be more like the band that is their favorite. Yes, if you compare each band as to how much they sound like TMBG, they will ALL be disappointing, no matter how good they are. People on this here list listen to stuff other than stuff that sounds like TMBG, & they figure other folks on here do too. Thus the suggestions come forth. You shouldn't rate a groups' CD on how much they sound like the band you were hoping they would, but on how much you like them as an individual group. I find that most of the songs on Navy Blues are catchy & very enjoyable, as well as songs by Weezer, BFF, etc. I like about half of Moxy Fruvous' stuff, but some of it isn't my bag. I really like YWGTTM by them, though. I honestly can not stand Mailbox or Tuscadero. I got them both for 79 cents used, listened to them repetedly trying to find something that I liked, but there really wasn't anything I liked about either disc, Mailbox being the lesser of the two. I gave them a try as individual bands & found that I didn't like either (I REALLY didn't like Mailbox, for that matter). Anyhoo, here's some suggestions for you folks on the list to check out as bands that are not They Might Be Giants or even Mono Puff (I left out all the obvious ones that for the most part have been mentioned): Sunny Day Real Estate -- Beck -- The Dead Milkmen -- Bernie Bernie Headflap -- The Superfriendz -- Man or Astro-Man? -- Phono Comb -- Radiohead -- Harvey Danger -- Jimmy Eat World -- Fear of Pop -- Fluid Ounces -- Zumpano -- Fountains of Wayne Anyway, that's all I have to say about that. Cheers Steve! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002c01be546c$5e08f8c0$e2431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:40:00 -0500 For those of you who read but DON'T post... this is an excellent opportunity for you to jump right in. It's something that you are part of and something that you can talk about without fear. Brother John "bring on the lurkers" Green Jello ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003e01be546d$a31feee0$e2431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: OMLT's Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:49:06 -0500 The biggest waste of money I've ever seen. Rob, did you ever get that money from Christy, goddess of deception? Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C0A1A6.E1D1480D@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 15:59:18 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Green Jello wrote: > > We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY TMBG > show you've gone to. My favorite was definitely Goat Boy. Goat Boy rocked!! I loved them sooooo much. Chad "Baiting People" Maloney ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:43:52 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Johns' Birthdays Message-ID: <19990209.135859.3758.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >When are their birthdays? (Also, which one is which ['59 and '60]). go to www.tmbg.net/ leo... is this not in the FAQ? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:55:12 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Message-ID: <19990209.135859.3758.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY >TMBG >show you've gone to. everyone should know my answer... but just in case you're living in a cage, er i mean, a newbie: MICHAEL SHELLEY!!! yeahyeah, he rocks, go buy his albums :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::CAKE TONIGHT :) are you sitting or on your feet?::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199902092102.QAA05604@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:02:53 -0500 (EST) > Green Jello wrote: > > > > We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY TMBG > > show you've gone to. > > My favorite was definitely Goat Boy. Goat Boy rocked!! I loved them > sooooo much. > > Chad "Baiting People" Maloney Oh, I agree Chad, his keyboard that sounded exactly like a guitar but probably cost more was very innovative! Go Goat Boy! -Matt > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209212354.21498.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:23:53 PST >to write it..."Kenny, I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by >madness.." I know you were expectinhg me to write "Starving, > They did not say starving and hystericle, because TMBG added that part, they didn't author it. TMBG hit it big in the 80's, not the 60's. I doubt the writer of that movie has even HEARD of TMBG. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "I'd give my life to be dead." -Francesco Dellamorte, "Cemetery Man" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:49:23 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: best minds of whose generation again? Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Josh Buckland wrote: > >to write it..."Kenny, I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed > by > >madness.." I know you were expectinhg me to write "Starving, > > > > They did not say starving and hystericle, because TMBG added that part, > they didn't author it. huh? TMBG didn't add that part! that was in the original: "i saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked..." and i've forgotten what comes directly after that. --jim kuemmerle, more of a kerouac fan than a ginsberg fan anyway... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:53:19 -0500 (EST) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Green Jello wrote: > Jonathan Gregg and the Lonesome Devonaires (1989? or was it 1990) > > lead singer (J. Gregg) tall, lanky guy with a bright red guitar and a cool > accent. I saw them (Debonaires, actually) open for TMBG in Toronto in 1992, didn't care for them much, but then maybe I was being unfair. If memory serves, Mr. Gregg was once a member of The Mundanes, Linnell's previous band. If not, he still once held a similar post. I'd say my favourite openers have been Lincoln and The Candy Butchers, though I did enjoy the 1994 triple bill of Frente, Frank Black and TMBG. Worst opener I've seen was probably Officer Friendly in Rochester in 1996. Wish I could have seen those infamous Mono Puff/TMBG shows. Dream show would be Mono Puff, then Linnell with his State Songs, then TMBG, but I doubt that will ever happen. On another subject: the next few months are going to be great for music. New albums from Ween, Beck, and finally, XTC!!! I've heard that their new album Apple Venus, Vol. 1 is possibly their best yet, and, since I've deliberately avoided hearing the widely available demos, I'm very very much looking forward to it. MIKe www.journalx.com - 2nd anniversary Feb 10! CD currently playing: Stephen Endelman - The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill And Came Down A Mountain (original score) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:48:16 -0500 (EST) From: Mindy Howie Subject: semi-TMBG: The 60s Message-ID: Re: the reference to "I saw the best minds..." in "The 60s"- This line has nothing at all to do w/TMBG, except that they borrowed it for a song. It's the first line of "Howl, part One" by Allen Ginsburgh, probably the most well-known Beat poet, a movement that took place in the 60s. "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix, angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night, who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz, who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated, who passed through universities with radiant cool eyes hallucinating Arkansas and Blake-light tragedy among the scholars of war, who were expelled from the academies for crazy & publishing obscene odes on the windows of the skull, who cowered in unshaven rooms in underwear, burning their money in wastebaskets and listening to the Terror through the wall, who got busted in their pubic beards returning through Laredo with a belt of marijuana for New York . . . __________________________________ {\ *** /} {{\ _ /}} Mindy S. Howie {{{\(_)/}}} English/Secondary Ed. {{{(_j_)}}} Russell Sage College {{{/ \}}} {/ \} howiem@sage.edu / \ mhowie01@yahoo.com (_______) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209215920.29999.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:59:18 PST Green Jello wrote: >For those of you who read but DON'T post... this is an excellent >opportunity >for you to jump right in. It's something that you are part of and >something >that you can talk about without fear. That's actually only true if said lurkers have attended TMBG concerts. Personally, I've only been to one TMBG concert, and I didn't like the opening band. I believe they were called Gravel Pit, or something like that. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209220558.19759.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s (and OMLT's, now) Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 14:05:58 PST Josh Buckland wrote: >>to write it..."Kenny, I saw the best minds of my generation >>destroyed >>by >>madness.." I know you were expectinhg me to write "Starving, >> > >They did not say starving and hystericle, because TMBG added that >part, >they didn't author it. TMBG hit it big in the 80's, not the 60's. I >doubt the writer of that movie has even HEARD of TMBG. Actually, the first line of Allen Ginsberg's "Howl" is "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical." I don't know the rest of the poem, but I'm pretty sure that there's nothing in it about applying the worst bands of his generation by magic marker to drywall. Incidentally, the recent mention of OMLT's made me realize that, although I've heard of these elusive, mythical, and most likely non-existent objects many times, I don't really know what the letters stand for. Old Musty Latin Tigers? Octopi Making Love Timidly? Could someone help me out here? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199902092209.RAA15129@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s (and OMLT's, now) Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:09:49 -0500 (EST) > Incidentally, the recent mention of OMLT's made me realize that, > although I've heard of these elusive, mythical, and most likely > non-existent objects many times, I don't really know what the letters > stand for. Old Musty Latin Tigers? Octopi Making Love Timidly? Could > someone help me out here? They're the most Official (non-existant) Mailing List T-shirts in history! -eggman ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:22:52 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again hmmm, I'm just going to go through and 'rate' all the people I've seen open for TMBG... Frank Black (Oct. 1994) - got a little loud with his "acoustic" guitar, and didn't really present himself that well. he had about 10 guitars on stage and only played one... (and carried them off as he listed TMBG songs with "I wonder if they'll play...") Candy Butchers (Aug. 1996) - great music, but they lack a bit of stage presence. at least they did then. the audience participation stuff was kind of cool, but they lost a lot of people. Goatboy (Dec. 1996) - don't even go there. by far the worst. Lincoln (Sept.-Nov. 1997) - excellent. not really TMBG-esque, but I liked their show and their music. some comedian (Dec. 1997) - can't really say. he wasn't playing music, and a lot of his jokes fell flat. Double Dong (Mar. 1998) - maybe worse than Goatboy. I remember hearing the name "Goatboy" thrown around a lot by audience members at that show. Lincoln (Apr.-May. 1997) - they were better with the keyboard and second guitar. I like some of the new songs, but I miss Sore, Basketball and New Song. Michael Shelley (Aug. 1998, Oct. 1998) - another very good opener. He presented the band well, played good songs, and interacted with the audience pretty well. Man or Astroman (Dec. 1999) - I thought they were awful. All their songs sounded the same, and the setup was more gratuitous than I could stand. their play ran out really quickly - You're NOT from outer space. Get over it! and the samples were inaudible. Whatshisname (New Years 1998-1999) - eh. a lot of people seem to like this guy. I don't know why. His stage presence was completely lacking (people were carrying on conversations) and his songs weren't very interesting. When a song ended, any shred of momentum that might have been there went away. You Were Spiraling (Jan. 1999) - again excellent. a lead singer who looks and acts like Linnell and sings like Ben Folds, and music that is very Lincoln-esque. and, the best opening act I've ever seen for TMBG (3 times now, hopefully more) is..... NONE AT ALL!!! :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990209172936.009367b0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:38:51 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again 10/2/96 - The Georgia Theater, Athens, GA - Thumb: This was the first real concert I had ever attended, and...wow. What a way to start. Thumb sucked (no pun intended). 3/21/98 - House Of Blues, Myrtle Beach, SC - Double Dong: I know I'm in the minority, but I liked Double Dong. Well, maybe not liked, but that gray area between "I can tolerate them" and "I like 'em". I _did_ buy their CD though, and it has some very good songs on it. Would've rather seen Lincoln though, but alas, never got the opportunity. 10/2/98 - Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, GA - Michael Shelley: Maybe I'd be more into his music if I listened to a CD, but his live show didn't do anything to picque my interest. Best openers I never saw: Lincoln, Cub, the Presidents of the United States of America (this was, um, a while ago), and Tuscadero opening, way back in '95 (well, they played before TMBG at a thing in Yale, though I don't think it was *technically* opening) Open letter to Steve (cambot@juno.com) - right on! Although you dislike a couple of bands I really like, your post saying so is, like, the perfect model of how to handle that sort of thing on a list. :-) Mailbox probably would be better off if they didn't try to be so overly goofy (Chameleon In The Kaleidoscope is a lot better then Elephino, although Elephino's more fun to listen to). And if you picked up the Teen Beat Records version of Tuscadero's Pink Album...well, even they find that CD embarassing. :-) The releases on Elektra are much better. TTYL, -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C0B7F1.66512165@cnr.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:34:25 -0500 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) > Personally, I've only been to one TMBG concert, and I didn't like the > opening band. I believe they were called Gravel Pit, or something like > that. > -- Was that the 10/16/98 show in NYC? I was there too....yeah, Gravel Pit kinda sucked....really, really loud guys in suits and a lead singer with maracas....pleh. the other show I've been to (10/17/98) Mono Puff opened, and of course they rocked.... sarah faye currently trying to debunk her Scientologist friend -- "He used to be your victim now you're not the only one...." --Elvis Costello, "Accidents Will Happen" http://lindramine.cjb.net -- The Princess's Castle ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <58100491.36c0b4a4@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:20:20 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again In a message dated 2/9/99 4:00:13 PM, opercmm@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu writes: >My favorite was definitely Goat Boy. Goat Boy rocked!! I loved them >sooooo much. eeeeeeek! that was a joke right? eeeeeeeeew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew eeewwwwe.. i feel dirty just reading about goat boy. as for this thread: put lincoln in as my favourite. they were the openers at 2 of my 4 tmbg shows and i loved 'em! sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990209175623.00a2ccdc@goshen.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:56:23 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again My favorite TMBG opening band ever was You Were Spiraling. Of course, that was my first TMBG concert ever (yes, yes, it was life changing). I thought they (Spiraling) were great. The 'Take On Me' cover was wonderful, it got me really pumped for the following shiggity. ~Amanda At 03:21 PM 2/9/99 -0500, you wrote: >We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY TMBG >show you've gone to. > >I'll start this ball rolling: > >Jonathan Gregg and the Lonesome Devonaires (1989? or was it 1990) > >lead singer (J. Gregg) tall, lanky guy with a bright red guitar and a cool >accent. > >Brother John Green Jello > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-10 ******************************