Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 11 Thursday, 11 February 1999 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Re: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) TMBG: RE: Bands like TMBG... TMBG: favorite openers. Re: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Re: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: best minds of whose generation again? TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s TMBG: Does anyone own the whole collection of Hello CD of the month 93-96 co Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote TMBG: Daddies, show openers, John Malkovich and an elephant Re: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote Re: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Non-TMBG: Literature wanted! TMBG: TMBG/KITH Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... Re: TMBG: TMBG/KITH Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG reference on the 60s Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Non-TMBG: TMBG Reference in Ancient Mesopotamian Myth! Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote TMBG: tmbg stuff tonight Re: TMBG: OMLT's TMBG: UK Dr Worm on The Box TMBG: RE: Bands like TMBG... PLUS: TMBG in Elektra Book Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Favorite openining bands... again Re: TMBG: Favorite openining bands... again (Fwd) Re: TMBG: RE: Bands like TMBG... TMBG: Re: Favorite opening bands... again Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:02:00 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Message-ID: hello, everybody. this is totally NON-TMBG, but i have to say it anyway. last night, i got to open up (as the keyboard player for Glade) for one of my musical heroes (edith frost, hence the catchy subject line). while i was a bit nervous, and messed up a few times, edith loved what we were doing, and that has to be one of the most meaningful compliments i've ever had. then lullaby for the working class played, and they are excellent. then edith and her band played. and their show was better than i ever anticipated, which is really saying a lot. so, GO SEE EDITH if she's anywhere nearby!! her tour's getting close to over, but i will keep you posted as things develop... the next show (jordan, you listening?) is in denver tomorrow night... Wednesday, February 10th Denver, CO - 15th St. Tavern 623 15th St. - (303) 572-0822 (with Lullaby For The Working Class) Thursday, February 11th Lawrence, KS - Bottleneck 737 New Hampshire St. - (785) 841-5483 (with Lullaby For The Working Class) Friday, February 12th Iowa City, IA - Gabes Oasis 330 E. Washington St. - (319) 354-4788 (ALL AGES; with Lullaby For The Working Class) Saturday, February 13th Chicago, IL - Empty Bottle 1035 N. Western Avenue - (773) 276-3600 (21 and over; with Lullaby For The Working Class) if you get to go, tell edith (she's very approachable) that jim from glade sent you. :) --jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <5b893a1b.36c0bb05@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:47:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) In a message dated 2/9/99 5:40:06 PM, sstarr@cnr.edu writes: > >the other show I've been to (10/17/98) Mono Puff opened, and of course >they rocked.... > eek, i forgot mono puff. at the 1 MP show i attended (central park, ny ny), there were a few openers. the moonlighters (?) they were cute, and good. kinda loungy i think.. i dunno, it's been a while, i'm foggy. :) apparently they play at some place everyonce in a while in ny. tadonoshin - this band was very very weird.. in that way that you can't tell whether they're annoying or just silly.. :) the lead singer was this little asian guy that was apparently drunk, and wearing a wrap around.. um.. "skirt"... and the vocals were all screaming esentially.. "I GOT A .. DIIIIIIRTY MIIIIND!" .. the music was neat though. they even used samples of clinton's testimony (this was in august, the day after the infamous testimony).. or maybe that was mono puff that did that, now that i think about it. hmm. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990209180525.00a0dbbc@goshen.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 18:05:25 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: TMBG: RE: Bands like TMBG... I don't think anyone's mentioned Ween. Anyone and everyone: GET SOME WEEN. Just because you've heard 'Push th' Little Daisies' doesn't mean you've really heard them. Everything they do is different and beautiful (okay, not always blatantly beautiful, but it's almost always really good stuff). Ween and They Might Be Giants, my two favorites by far. Sure, Ween has mentioned that they hate TMBG several times, but... mmmmmm, boy. ~Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:08:16 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: favorite openers. Message-ID: since the only tmbg show i've ever seen had michael shelley opening, i guess i have to cast my vote with jordan and say "michael shelley".... --jim kuemmerle, casting his vote just for vote-casting's sake... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:07:28 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. In a message dated 2/9/99 6:02:47 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: >if you get to go, tell edith (she's very approachable) that jim from glade >sent you. :) > glade? :) as in the poupourrri thingies? (i joke, i know i know what you meant ;)) is edith moderately famous er something? i've never heard of her.. :} so jim, are you cinnamony or pine fresh? sarah ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:24:39 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Message-ID: <29995-36C0C3B7-67@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> This has nothing to do with Moxy Fruvous playing Utah. I don't live in Utah, and I don't know anything really about Moxy Fruvous (except that alot of people on this list like 'em). I'm going to get one of their C.D.s though. But I felt that there was something I should know before I do this. So, my question is: How is Moxy Fruvous pronounced? Thanks, Dexburger ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:30:51 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > >if you get to go, tell edith (she's very approachable) that jim from glade > >sent you. :) > > glade? :) as in the poupourrri thingies? (i joke, i know i know > what you meant ;)) i'm used to it. :) glade's actually the first name of our lead singer, who also writes all the songs. > is edith moderately famous er something? i've never heard of her.. :} mildly so; she's only got two albums out, so she hasn't been prominent on the scene for very long; also, she's on an independent label (drag city, woohoo!!!) so she doesn't have the kind of distribution that many other artists get, but the critical acclaim has been pretty consistent. (for an example, check out the january issue of CMJ new music, page 10).... > so jim, are you cinnamony or pine fresh? --jim kuemmerle, who's a unique blend of mint, pumpkin, rhubarb, and lavender, with overtones of lemon and nutmeg... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:35:19 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > This has nothing to do with Moxy Fruvous playing Utah. I don't live in > Utah, and I don't know anything really about Moxy Fruvous (except that > alot of people on this list like 'em). I'm going to get one of their > C.D.s though. But I felt that there was something I should know before I > do this. So, my question is: How is Moxy Fruvous pronounced? MOCKS-ee FROO-vuss. --jim kuemmerle, who doesn't understand why they don't stop through here between california and colorado the way everybody else does... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:43:43 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Message-ID: <29987-36C0C82F-207@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Bob Scott wrote: AKA Bob "Thankful that he didn't see that movie... Jerry O'Connel can't even pull off Sliders any more! :P" Scott Actually, Jerry O'Connel was pretty good in this(except for the parts were he had the war flashbacks, and he started going crazy). And whoever played his dad in that movie was pretty good too. And, I want to apologize about starting this thing, I didn't even bother to read the liner note in JH, so I didn't know it was a poem. Forgive me. Thanks, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C0842C.519E789F@osu.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 18:53:33 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again My favorite opening band for TMBG was Lincoln. I saw them open at least twice, and I have their CD, which I like a lot. You Were Spiraling wasn't bad either, and I got one of the copies of their set list! (which is a pretty exciting thing for me) It's now hanging on my wall, which makes me think of the concert. I remember the first TMBG concert I saw was a couple years ago (almost to the day I bet) at Eastern Michigan University. The opening band was called the Chainsaw Kittens. The were not good (all I remember is that they were really loud), but I always thought their name was pretty funny. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990209234018.27974.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:40:18 -0800 (PST) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s ---Josh Buckland wrote: > >to write it..."Kenny, I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed > by > >madness.." I know you were expectinhg me to write "Starving, > > > > They did not say starving and hystericle, because TMBG added that part, > they didn't author it. TMBG hit it big in the 80's, not the 60's. I > doubt the writer of that movie has even HEARD of TMBG. Actually, TMBG didn't add "starving, hysterical." The opening line (including "starving, hysterical") of "I Should Be Allowed To Think" is itself a quotation of the poem "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg, who was popular in the 60's. So it's an Allen Ginsberg reference, not a TMBG reference. Danielle === URL: http://come.to/cherubino See, Starvin' Marvin, these are what we call *appetizers*. This is what you eat before you eat to make you more hungry. --Eric Cartman _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:00:59 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Diana Kocar wrote: > I remember the first TMBG concert I saw was a couple years ago (almost to the > day I bet) at Eastern Michigan University. The opening band was called the > Chainsaw Kittens. The were not good (all I remember is that they were really > loud), but I always thought their name was pretty funny. I saw a Chainsaw Kittens cd at Flipsides the other day.. I said, "Hey, they opened for TMBG!" and my friend Celia said, "It's only two dollars; do you want it?" and then I remembered that everyone said they were sort of loud and sucky, and so bought the two dollar Mekons ep I spied next. Which brings me to my plug -- I love love love the Mekons; they're not anything like TMBG, they're not anything like anything else, they're just great.. They're what punk should've turned into. I saw them at the Intersection in Grand Rapids, and Sally Timms had me model my Mekons t-shirt and smiled at me. I'm in love... For the record, they're British, they've been around for like twenty years, and they have a new album out called "Me." Oh yeah, and the first time I saw TMBG was when they opened for Hootie, so there was no opening band. But the second time, Lincoln opened, and I really liked them a lot. Kirsten "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990209175315.00844100@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:53:15 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: best minds of whose generation again? > >huh? TMBG didn't add that part! that was in the original: > >"i saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, >hysterical, naked..." and i've forgotten what comes directly after that. > Glad to know someone here knows their Beat Generationg 'sides me. >--jim kuemmerle, more of a kerouac fan than a ginsberg fan anyway... > Hrm I'm not sure, Kerouac definitely #1, but I'm thinking maybe Burroughs #2, y'know? LDB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:17:20 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote Message-ID: <19990209.191724.11702.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae now, call me ignorant, but i must ask. i've heard Two Tales of how TMBG got their name: from a George C. Scott film and from a quote in Don Quixote, where Sancho asks Quixote why he would want to fight windmills, Quixote replies, "Why, because They Might Be Giants." which is it? i'm so confused... also, are The Johns hitched? i've heard Flansburgh is, but what about Linnell? >>I saw Michael Shelly (sp?) open for TMBG last year. It was mainly one guy in particular yelling "you suck" (and other scathingly witty comments). I think that kind of thing is excusable when the band is deliberately arrogant...and Shelly wasn't. He was distracted by it though. The guy has to concentrate on his music not defending himself to some big mouth was this in Philadelphia? because i have a friend who saw TMBG, opened by Michael Shelly, and the poor guy was heckled there as well. i hope there's not just One Guy following him around to tell him he sucks and everything - especially when i've been told he's pretty good. could you imagine having a groupie who hated you? tsk. some opening bands, no matter how nice you try to be, just don't deserve it. i saw Beck once, and the band that opened for him was Atari Teenage Riot. they were beyond awful. just... German screaming techno crap with strobe lights. i get nightmares just thinking about it. >fortunatly, they are saved by a money >>I'm assuming this is actually supposed to be monkey. oops. yes, they were saved by a Monkey, not a Money. it was a nice little monkey, the kind that are those Helper Monkeys for the handicapped. although i'm sure a Dime, or say, and entire Army of Dimes (a March of Dimes perhaps?), would have been just as helpful in saving the Squirrel Nut Zippers. maybe, a Herd of Dimes saved poor Ben Folds from sudden becoming dinner. i guess those Chapel Hill musicians are Especially Tasty yeesh, i spelled fortunately wrong too. i need to start proofreading these things... ever-sincere, eriKa, who, although she hasn't been a Punk for years (she didn't really stop liking Punk, but Punk stopped liking her, so now she's a Geek - and damn proud!), still remembers the words to every song on the first four Green Day albums, and yet can't remember what she did ten minutes ago Interviewer: "Do you guys have girlfriends?" Ben Folds: "Yeah, three of them." Darren Jessee: "Each. You can do that in Utah." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:30:40 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Message-ID: <19990209.183438.10358.1.SailorMorningStar@juno.com> From: Karen M Majetic << she says this line, exactly as I'm about to write it..."Kenny, I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.." I know you were expectinhg me to write "Starving,Hysterical," but that's close enough. Sara then leaves, and Kenny blows up a building, but that's not important.>> Actually...this is a quote from Allen Ginsberg in 1956....and TMBG just borrowed it. -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990210010959.689.rocketmail@send202.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:09:59 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Does anyone own the whole collection of Hello CD of the month 93-96 collections Does anyone own the whole collection of Hello CD of the month 93-96 collections? Is is worth $160? Whats it Like? _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:01:08 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote In a message dated 99-02-09 19:57:06 EST, you write: << now, call me ignorant, but i must ask. i've heard Two Tales of how TMBG got their name: from a George C. Scott film and from a quote in Don Quixote, where Sancho asks Quixote why he would want to fight windmills, Quixote replies, "Why, because They Might Be Giants." which is it? i'm so confused... I'm almost positive that it was from the movie. The confusion arises because the movie title itself is a reference to Don Quixote. also, are The Johns hitched? i've heard Flansburgh is, but what about Linnell? >> Linnell is not only hitched but a new daddy :) Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:15:03 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote Message-ID: <19990209.201530.8838.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf >now, call me ignorant, but i must ask. i've heard Two Tales of how >TMBG got their name: from a George C. Scott film and from a quote in >Don Quixote nope, it's the movie. >also, are The Johns hitched? i've heard Flansburgh is, but what about >Linnell? yes, they both are (unfortunately). flansburgh is married to the ever beautiful Robyn Gosswater, better known to us as Mono Puff's own, Sister Puff. Linnell is married to a lovely young lady named Karen who gave birth to their son Henry a month or so ago. >I saw Michael Shelly (sp?) open for TMBG last year. It was mainly >one guy in particular yelling "you suck". The guy has to concentrate >on his music not defending himself to some big mouth was this in >Philadelphia? possibly. we didn't take too kindly to mr. shelley here in Philly when he came back in October. but Philly crowds are very vicious (eg - we booed limp bizkit off stage twice and deservedly so). Shelley did seem very distracted and tried his best to heckle back to at the crowd. i liked his album (or what i've heard) more than of what i saw live. >oops. yes, they were saved by a Monkey, not a Money. it was a nice >little monkey, the kind that are those Helper Monkeys for the >handicapped. grandpa: oh, son, this monkey's going to change my life. homer: mind if i take him for a ride? grandpa: sure. homer tosses monkey in car and peels off. grandpa: mmm, i can't wait to eat that monkey. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Random Simpsons Quote you already got one. deal with it. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:45:02 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Daddies, show openers, John Malkovich and an elephant Message-ID: <19990209.204506.14294.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae wasn't Joanne Woodward in that George C. Scott film? because, if so, i can finish one of my "Degrees of John Malkovich" (it's pretty much the same as Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, only i find John Malkovich more entertaining than Mr. Bacon, and also, my connections always come in a full circle, starting and ending with Mr. Malkovich) games in which i link TMBG to Mr. Malkovich. Joanne Woodward is the closing element! hmmp. i'm yet to go to a TMBG show yet... i suck. but then, i've just suddenly gotten really into them in the past six months or so... i could have seen them in october but they were playing in a club that was 21 and over only! so it's not my fault... i will see them next time they come around, no matter what it takes. aw, Linnell, a daddy? how cute, i may swoon. kids are great, but not to have on my own. i denounce children, and Jay and i shall raise our elephant, Dale, and all will be at peace. "this is Precious Roy, and i just got offered the lead in Cats!" ever-sincere, eriKa, who, in the big scheme of things, is more of a Sal Paradise, constantly questing for her Dean Moriarty to take her to see Rushmore Fun Fact of the Day: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:04:39 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: PS about the opening bands (lurkers please read) Message-ID: <19990209.190441.3710.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >That's actually only true if said lurkers have attended TMBG concerts. > >Personally, I've only been to one TMBG concert, and I didn't like the >opening band. I believe they were called Gravel Pit, or something >like >that. yeah i saw gravel pit open for tmbg in kansas... i wasn't too impressed but the naked guy in the pit seemed to be having a blast. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:58:36 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Message-ID: <19990209.190441.3710.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >. So, my question is: How is Moxy Fruvous pronounced? it's pronounced "GOAT BOY" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:04:15 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote Message-ID: <19990209.190441.3710.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> YOU'RE ALL WRONG!!! they got their name from their friend who was a ventriloquist with several names for his act, one of which they happened to like, thinking wow "this it outward looking and paranoid" and so, the saga of They Might Be Giants began. Now if you want to be technical, it came from the movie, which was based on the whole don quixote thing. And flansburgh's wife's name is Robin Goldwasser, what are you talking about? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::CAKE TONIGHT!!! are you sitting or on your feet?::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:09:53 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Message-ID: <19990209.190956.3710.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >the next show (jordan, you listening?) is in denver tomorrow night... allright kids... here's my dealy-o: Cake is playing two sold-out shows here in denver, one tonight and one tomorrow night. And yes, i've got tickets to both. Now, i'm on my way to tonight's show in like 5 minutes but about tomorrow's show... Should i sell my tickets to tomorrow nights show (since, well, i most likely will be able to make some major cash) and then head down to the edith frost/lullaby for the working class show instead? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990210021805.24433.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 18:18:04 PST >From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) >Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:43:43 -0800 (PST) >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on the 60s >Actually, Jerry O'Connel was pretty good in this(except for the parts >were he had the war flashbacks, and he started going crazy). And whoever >played his dad in that movie was pretty good too. And don't forget Sarah and Kate. Sarah. I'd like to shag THOSE chicks. Especialy Kate, cus she puts out alot, though Sarah was alot finer. "Rambling nonesence? All the WORLD need rambling nonesence, so what the hell are YOU complaining about???" ---Actually, I just made that up... Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:51:29 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote In a message dated 2/9/99 8:50:16 PM, superman75@juno.com writes: > Robyn Gosswater actually, it's robin goldwasser. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:33:51 -0500 (EST) From: Chad M Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > >. So, my question is: How is Moxy Fruvous pronounced? > > it's pronounced "GOAT BOY" Oh, I see how it is. I make one snide "How many horses do you own?" comment and now we are speaking of Moxy Fruvous and Goat Boy in the same general conversation. Harumpf ;P - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990210023549.16383.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non-TMBG: Literature wanted! Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 18:35:48 PST Since we've kinda been on the subject of literature, does anyone knoe the author of The Parasite? I'm not sure if that was the title or not, but if it is, does anyone know who wrote it and where on the net I can read it? On this note, I would like to recomend "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson to anyone who hasn't yet read it. This book is my second Bible! * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like 'I feel a bit lightheaded, maybe you should drive', and suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas: 'Holy Jesus! What are these Goddamned animals?!?!'" "We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocain and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budwiser, a pint of raw ether, and two-dozen amyls... But the only thing that worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge..." * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." -- Dr. Johnson Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990209222238.006a5e94@goshen.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 22:22:38 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: TMBG: TMBG/KITH I just made a little discovery that may interest someone. Maybe. John Linnell and Scott Thompson (one of the Kids in the Hall) were born on the same day, same year! ~Amanda ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199902100337.WAA24948@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:37:02 -0500 (EST) I would have to say that my favorite opener is a tie between Brian Dewan and They Might Be Giants... I wish that they would both open more often! (Although I expect that we'll never see either again as openers:-( m@t ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:31:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG/KITH In a message dated 2/9/99 10:28:42 PM, amandah@goshen.edu writes: >I just made a little discovery that may interest someone. Maybe. >John Linnell and Scott Thompson (one of the Kids in the Hall) were born >on >the same day, same year! yuh, well, i knew that! ;) formerly sister sarah of the kids in the hall (?) now sister sarah ....of the limes (?!) sarah ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:58:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG reference on the 60s In a message dated 99-02-09 13:37:21 EST, bobscott@tmbg.org writes: > The Lord doesn't take time to > point out such things, nor does he hand out frosted donuts at county fairs. However, She is a skee-ball *fanatic.* ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:38:12 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again In a message dated 2/9/99 5:27:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: << Whatshisname (New Years 1998-1999) - eh. a lot of people seem to like this guy. I don't know why. His stage presence was completely lacking (people were carrying on conversations) and his songs weren't very interesting. When a song ended, any shred of momentum that might have been there went away.<< Carmaig De Forest. I really liked him...his cds are good. >> and, the best opening act I've ever seen for TMBG (3 times now, hopefully more) is..... >> The best opening act for TMBG I've ever seen was Mono Puff! Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:29:39 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Message-ID: > We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY > TMBG show you've gone to. Oh jeez. Well, since I am completely unable to remember dates of any of these, I'll just throw them all together, in no particular order: PERE UBU: first TMBG show. Was weirded out by this strange old band that had strange instruments. But David Thomas turned me...I love this band. Without going through the rest, I can honestly say that Pere Ubu is my favorite (album-wise...The Modern Dance and Dub Housing are classics). LINCOLN: once I got beyond the lead singer's voice, I liked them. Very nice. MICHAEL SHELLEY: deserves an award for how he dealt with unruly crowd members telling him he sucked: he challenged them to a fight. And they never showed. Oh, and his music was good, too. For the life of me, I can't remember any of the other bands that I've seen open for Them. These stick out, because they were basically the best of the group. There were others...none that I thought sucked, but none really worth mention either. The Rev np: Paul Van Dyk--Seven Ways |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 22:42:17 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36C10E29.4FDFD1A2@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Non-TMBG: TMBG Reference in Ancient Mesopotamian Myth! Okay, this is just plain silly, but whilst reading about Near Eastern mythology earlier today, I found something quite shocking. Just before Enkidu, friend of Gilgamesh, was slain by a disease given by the gods as a curse for slaying the Bull of Heaven after angering the goddess Ishtar. Gilgamesh's slaying of the Bull of Heaven is obviously on the same level of the deleriously evil-ity of the song "If I Wasn't Shy," found, of course, on Apollo 18, by They Might Be Giants. The explanation for the time displacement required for such knowledge of TMBG to be known in ancient times goes beyond the scope of this newsgroup, and as such, shall only be mentioned using the letter q. Well, that about sums that up. TMBG references are worked into the fabric of space itself. We cannot inhale without being exposed to them. So if you think you see a TMBG reference someplace, call your local fire brigade. Thank you. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Well, it wasn't that off-topic! Gilgamesh was the concept for Gargamel in the Smurfs, which were blue, which is another word for sad, which is a word used in Their song 'Why Must I Be Sad?' Another reference! :P" Scott ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <11147438.36c0f23b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:43:07 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah In a message dated 2/9/99 9:41:09 PM, opercmm@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu writes: >Oh, I see how it is. I make one snide "How many horses do you own?" >comment and now we are speaking of Moxy Fruvous and Goat Boy in the same >general conversation. Harumpf ;P hey, i draw the line on making a picture of goatboy and a horse. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger/threads.jpg ;) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:20:29 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Feb-99 Re: TMBG: Favorite opening .. by HallOfEyes@aol.com > The best opening act for TMBG I've ever seen was Mono Puff! you know, I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned TMBG '87 as their favorite opener... if I'd ever seen a Then show, it certainly would have been... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <428dfd73.36c117e3@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:23:47 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again In a message dated 2/10/99 12:22:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: << you know, I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned TMBG '87 as their favorite opener... if I'd ever seen a Then show, it certainly would have been... >> When I SAW tmbg 87, TMBG didn't really open for themsevles...there was still 2 opening bands. It was more like 2 different short tmbg sets. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:34:45 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Ok, for those of you who read alt.music.moxy-fruvous, you've seen all this. For the rest of you, it is something important to keep in mind if it's going to work... On December 30, 1995, TMBG played at a place called the Trocadero Theater in Philadelphia. Ok, you say, so what? On Saturday, February 6, 1999, Moxy Fruvous played at that same venue. It was then decided that Moxy Fruvous would never play there again, and that most of the fans who were there, or who read alt.music.moxy-fruvous, would never attend a concert there again. Why? For one, they rudely pat-searched everyone's pockets. Keep in mind where jeans pockets are located. This was not pleasant for many people. Secondly, the internal design is poor (this wasn't brought up there, but it's a personal observation) And, worst of all, the staff treated both the band members and staff, along with the audience, like total dirt. The instant the house lights came on at the end of the show, bouncers started forcefully moving people towards the back, and with no spoken reason. People protested, claiming that one or more of the band members generally come out to chat and sign autographs, and they were told they could talk to them outside. Once outside, band members did arrive, and one of them was denied re-entry to the bulding, as more and more fans were herded through the doors, and even along the sidewalk so they didn't "block" the entrance. Other members of the band were also asked to leave - apparently the bouncers hadn't been informed as to who was actually in the band. That's the short version. I think there are many other problems that have been brought up, but suffice it to say, that's not a good place to see your favorite band. So, what I'm asking is that even if yourr absolute favorite band in the world is playing at the Trocadero, DO NOT GO. I think we should try to get in contact with TMBG's management to let them know of this situation, and make sure they never book a show there. The more people are involved in a boycott, the better the results... if any of the other bands you like that play the kind of venue the Trocadero is have online discussion areas, please explain this to them so that they, too, will avoid the Trocadero. Thank you. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:43:08 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous In a message dated 99-02-10 00:36:45 EST, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: << The more people are involved in a boycott, the better the results... if any of the other bands you like that play the kind of venue the Trocadero is have online discussion areas, please explain this to them so that they, too, will avoid the Trocadero. >> i'd just like to say that the Troc is usually a great venue for concerts and the security people are not always like this. I've been to 3 shows there and not one was made any less enjoyable because of the stupidity of the people who work there. jennifer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:18:41 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Message-ID: <19990210.011854.12678.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. ><< The more people are involved in a boycott, the better the >results... if any of the other bands you like that play the kind of venue the > Trocadero is have online discussion areas, please explain this to >them so that they, too, will avoid the Trocadero. >> >i'd just like to say that the Troc is usually a great venue for concerts and >the security people are not always like this. I've been to 3 shows there and >not one was made any less enjoyable because of the stupidity of the >people who work there. and i will chime in and say, you are both right. i've been to a majority of shows at the troc (usually to see the punk rock). i and others have been subjected to lots of nasty behavior from the "security" people who are far more of a threat than anyone there to see the bands. i've also been there on occasions where there weren't any barriers or bouncers. moxy probably couldn't book the TLA, which is roughly the same size and don't seem "big enough" to play the electric factory. the troc is, though, a total dive and is a very hazardous place (lots of steps and a balcony that is very easy to fall from). every town has that nasty venue. Philly has the troc. if i were you, i'd say take some caution. don't try to get up front. stick to the back and for God sake, don't use their bathroom! if you're over 21, hang around upstairs at the bar. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Random Simpsons Quote "Out of my way, Jerkass!" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902100709.CAA71014@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 02:09:43 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous >So, what I'm asking is that even if yourr absolute favorite band in the >world is playing at the Trocadero, DO NOT GO. First off, let me say I've never been to this venue, so I can't offer an opinion on the Trocadero. That said, what will this boycott solve? I would guess that if you add up everyone on the list/newsgroup/whatever who would boycott this venue, it would not be a significant number compared to the total number of people who would attend the concert. This boycott is not going to cause the people at the Trocadero to think "Wow, 12 less people showed up than we were expecting. I guess it's because our staff acts really dumb sometimes. Let's change our policy!" I could understand a phone call/letter-writing campaign, but why ask people to miss out on a concert when their absence will not be noticed or solve anything? It just seems to me there are better ways to voice your opinions in this case. --Jason-- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:16:14 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Monkeys, opening bands and Don Quixote Message-ID: <19990210.002628.3734.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Where did you find this out? You always have this sort of information >way before everyone else; it's like your working undercover for the >man >or something. shit they're on to me and my connections :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::next thing, they'll find i really *do* own horses::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:26:25 -0700 Subject: TMBG: tmbg stuff tonight Message-ID: <19990210.002628.3734.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEy HEY!!! so i made my way to the cake show this evening (very good)... anyways, that's not the point of this... the opening band starts jamming on a zither, yes folks, a zither. So, when their set is done i hear the guy behind me say "DAMN I WISH HE COULD ROCK OUT ON A ZITHER LIKE THAT GUY THAT OPENED FOR THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!!" hahaa, so i start up a conversation with this guy, who was pretty groovy... he seemed pretty interested in brian dewan... only makes me wish he'd put out another album soon! :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Floyd, what are you on?::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:29:27 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT's Message-ID: <19990210.003114.3734.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >The biggest waste of money I've ever seen. Rob, did you ever get that >money >from Christy, goddess of deception? didn't you hear? rob, christy, and goatboy took the money, bought some horses and split :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301be54d6$f877fc20$c6b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: TMBG: UK Dr Worm on The Box Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:22:50 -0000 I understand from my dear old mother that Dr Worm is now on the Music Channel, The Box's play list in the UK. Get dialling people of the UK! -- Uncle Squid: Looking through Colin Ellesley's eyes. Carter USM fan chat: http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/carter_usm/ ICQ: 12605535 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C15E7B.4A54C8D3@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 03:25:04 -0700 From: Gary Subject: TMBG: RE: Bands like TMBG... PLUS: TMBG in Elektra Book I was never expecting BNL, Fruvous, Sloan, SNZ, etc. to sound like TMBG and I wouldn't want them to. However, occasionally in music history, bands seemingly pattern themselves after other bands they like and the results don't necessarily suck. The only example I can think of right now is Rancid. They sound incredibly like The Clash to me (and not just a crummy rip-off.) So I wouldn't write-off the possibility of there someday (maybe in the very distant future) being a band with a very TMBGish feel. On another note, there's a new book chronicling Elektra Records history. (Actually it came out about a year ago.) Would you like me to transcribe everything they wrote about TMBG? Well, I cant because they didn't even mention TMBG! (And it was a very large book.) That's not the only new book that gives TMBG the shaft. In the 80's volume of "Virgin's Encyclopedia of Rock" TMBG's name appears but not much more than their name. They DO have a full entry in the New Wave volume of the series, though. We must educate future generations! -B O N G O PS: I too vote "If Your Feeling Sinister" as Belle and Sebastian's best. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C1933F.400CCCB4@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:10:07 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous Jason Fickley wrote: > > >So, what I'm asking is that even if yourr absolute favorite band in the > >world is playing at the Trocadero, DO NOT GO. > > First off, let me say I've never been to this venue, so I can't offer an > opinion on the Trocadero. That said, what will this boycott solve? I would > guess that if you add up everyone on the list/newsgroup/whatever who would > boycott this venue, it would not be a significant number compared to the > total number of people who would attend the concert. This boycott is not > going to cause the people at the Trocadero to think "Wow, 12 less people > showed up than we were expecting. I guess it's because our staff acts > really dumb sometimes. Let's change our policy!" I could understand a phone > call/letter-writing campaign, but why ask people to miss out on a concert > when their absence will not be noticed or solve anything? It just seems to > me there are better ways to voice your opinions in this case. I bet you don't vote either, do you? Dood, because of the mistreatment of fans, Moxy Fruvous (the band itself) will not play the Troc again. That's a whole show loss for the Troc up to 3 times a year (yeah, Fruvous tours that much). And those shows sold out before the day of the concert. That's pretty much a guaranteed sum of money for the venue that is gone because the staff at the Troc were asses, treating paying customers like cattle. You know how the band decided to never play the Troc again? Some fans complained and said that they wouldn't brave the Troc event to see Fruvous again. The band saw that, knew what a great town of people Philly is, and made the decision to never play the Troc again. I could care less about the Troc. I just want to make sure that when I go to Philly to see a Fruvous show, I'm gonna enjoy it instead of standing up straight and pushing back at the damn bouncers because they are literally pushing my friends out the door for no good reason. Oh, and Adam, the TLA holds about 950 I think. The Troc is bigger. Maybe 1200+. That was where the original decision for Fruvous to play the Troc came from. It was a bigger place so more fans could come in and see the show. Personally, I wouldn't go to the Troc to see TMBG because of the Troc. That's a very bad thing, but it's true. How would you like it if 1200 people came to see TMBG at the Troc, the staff were asses, and 1200 people came out of the Troc blaming the band for it and never buying another album again? - Chad ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19990210093234.016f3850@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:32:34 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia, TMBG, and Moxy Fruvous At 09:10 AM 2/10/99 -0500, Chad Maloney wrote: >Dood, because of the mistreatment of fans, Moxy Fruvous (the band itself) >will not play the Troc again. That's a whole show loss for the Troc >up to 3 times a year (yeah, Fruvous tours that much). And those shows >sold out before the day of the concert. That's pretty much a guaranteed >sum of money for the venue that is gone because the staff at the Troc were >asses, treating paying customers like cattle. Well, that's great, good for Moxy Fruvous. That doesn't mean, however, that if some other band that I really liked was playing at the Troc, my personal boycott would affect the people there in any way. You know how the band decided >to never play the Troc again? Some fans complained and said that they >wouldn't brave the Troc event to see Fruvous again. The band saw that, >knew what a great town of people Philly is, and made the decision to >never play the Troc again. Once again, that's great, but it's irrelevant to someone who wants to go see a concert that is already booked. Why miss out on seeing your favorite band, choosing instead to sit at home, unbeknownst (i probably spelled that wrong) to the people running the Troc? If you go to the concert and are disappointed with the way you're treated by the staff, then by all means, complain, try to contact the band and/or the Troc to let them know how you feel about the venue, whatever. But if you ask me, skipping a concert that is going to take place at the Troc whether you go or not will only hurt yourself and and not the Troc. >How would you like it if >1200 people came to see TMBG at the Troc, the staff were asses, and >1200 people came out of the Troc blaming the band for it and never >buying another album again? If someone was mistreated by the staff at a concert venue and blamed the band for it, then they're just ignorant. But will your staying at home during said concert change anything about that? --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:37:57 -0500 (est) From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite openining bands... again Message-Id: Organization: WordStock I'll rank my top TMBG 3 opening acts: 1) Cibo Matto - Avalon, Boston, MA 2) Brian Dewan - Sanders Theatre, Cambridge, MA 3) Pere Ubu - Lupo's, Providence, RI 4) Candy Butchers - Paradise, Boston, MA 5) Chris Stamey's group (I forget the name) - Lupo's, Providence, RI I wish I'd seen NRBQ open for TMBG ... but that was in Virginia or some-such place like that ... although the Q really need a full set to do themselves justice, not just an opening slot. - Fred. -- Fred Boak Brookline, MA np: Cesar Rojas - Soul Disguise ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:39:14 -0500 (est) From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite openining bands... again (Fwd) Message-Id: Organization: WordStock > I'll rank my top TMBG 3 opening acts: Err ... make that *5* opening acts ... sorry, too early in the morning! ;-) - Fred. > 1) Cibo Matto - Avalon, Boston, MA > 2) Brian Dewan - Sanders Theatre, Cambridge, MA > 3) Pere Ubu - Lupo's, Providence, RI > 4) Candy Butchers - Paradise, Boston, MA > 5) Chris Stamey's group (I forget the name) - Lupo's, Providence, RI > > I wish I'd seen NRBQ open for TMBG ... but that was in Virginia > or some-such place like that ... although the Q really need a > full set to do themselves justice, not just an opening slot. > > - Fred. > -- > Fred Boak > Brookline, MA > > np: Cesar Rojas - Soul Disguise ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990210155822.28404.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: Bands like TMBG... Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:58:19 PST > Sure, Ween has >mentioned that they hate TMBG several times, but... mmmmmm, boy. But then, so do those kids on the John Henry cover. Okay, other bands. Anyone else here dig Velvet Underground? Loaded is one of the finest albums around. Check it out. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:03:35 -0500 From: TDK Message-ID: <36C1ADD6.272CC15C@cybercomm.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Favorite opening bands... again Here are my faves: 1) Lincoln; I saw them open for TMBG ten times. 2) Brian Dewan; twice. 3) Violent Femmes (Saint Joseph University; Philadelphia, PA) 4) Todd Barry; stand up comic. (Mercury Lounge, NYC) 5) Pere Ubu (Tradewinds; Seabright, NJ) 6) Frank Black (Count Basie Theater; Red Bank, NJ) -Mike http://i.am/tdk Green Jello wrote: > We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY TMBG > show you've gone to. > > I'll start this ball rolling: > > Jonathan Gregg and the Lonesome Devonaires (1989? or was it 1990) > > lead singer (J. Gregg) tall, lanky guy with a bright red guitar and a cool > accent. > > Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-11 ******************************