Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 12 Friday, 12 February 1999 Today's Topics: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. TMBG: OFF TOPIC: Crichton, Beowulf Re: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous TMBG: Opening bands Re: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Re: TMBG: Opening bands Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again TMBG: Opening Bands Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Opening Bands Re: TMBG: Opening bands Re: TMBG: Opening bands Re: TMBG: Opening bands TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG Re: TMBG: ages Re: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. Re: TMBG: Opening Bands NON-TMBG: ages + hair TMBG: NRBQ opening for TMBG Re: mostly non TMBG: irritated grumblings, weezer, Re: TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: Crichton, Beowulf Re: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Re: TMBG: Opening bands NON-TMBG: A pointless random thing... (Fwd) Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG NON-TMBG: milkmen Re: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Re: TMBG: Opening bands Re: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. Re: TMBG: Opening bands Re: not a whole heck of a lot of TMBG: recommendations, etc. Re: NON-TMBG: ages + hair Re: TMBG: Opening bands non:TMBG:theMilkmen Re: TMBG: Opening bands Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Re: TMBG: OMLT's Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990210160924.18536.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mad Midget" Subject: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:09:23 EST Er, well, Monday was my first concert ever and that was the Brian Setzer Orchestra. In fact, I've loved TMBG since '92, but I didn't even know what they looked like until last year. I couldn't tell the difference between their voices until the "Doctor Worm" video. I'm so deprived. Someday, I WILL see them. Soooon, sooooon..... Here are my favorite non-TMBG bands that I can think of off the top o' my head: Blue Oyster Cult, Reverend Horton Heat, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Pink Floyd, and Frank Zappa. Naturally NONE of them sound like TMBG, which I think is a good thing. Variety is good. Now, here's something I've been wondering(humor me, I'm a newbie): how did all you people find out about TMBG? I mean, the only time I ever hear them on the radio is on novelty shows between "Fish Heads" and "They're Going to Take Me Away". And I've never seen a video(I even watched the horror of M2 hoping they'd show TMBG, but they did show an XTC video once and I was happy). Type at you all later then, Mike the Hermit No, I thought, the geek in Colorado had it all wrong. The real problem is how to wallow with the eagles at night and soar with the pigs in the morning. -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36C1B187.14C67447@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:19:20 -0500 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: Crichton, Beowulf Well, this is off-topic, but I couldn't help responding to: > And yes, from what I've heard, Eaters of the > >Dead is > >due out this year. And from the one time I saw the book in a for sale > >bin at > >my local library, I looked in the front cover, and it said something > >about > >it being based on a true story. > > Yeah, I think it came from the ancient narrators journal. This is amusing! Do you think Beowulf is a true story? Many people don't realize that the book is a retelling of the poem "Beowulf" from the point of view of a Middle Eastern visitor to "The Northland". (This is never explicitly stated in the book anywhere). Consider that the narrator in "Eaters" is accompanying a Norse "hero" named Buliwyf, who is going to visit a king named Rothgar, who reigns at Hurot Hall, to kill a monster. (In Beowulf, the king was Hrothgar and he lived at Heorot Hall). It's been some years since I read "Eaters of the Dead", but if I recall correctly, Buliwyf kills one of the "monsters" by pulling off his arm (as Beowulf did to Grendel in the poem). > Certain aspects of the Congo movie I enjoyed. But it is very difficult > to put Crichton's works on the screen because there is so much more to > the words that cannot be confined by film and vision alone. It's funny that you say this, because I've always thought that Crichton's books are MOREsuited to cinema than most authors. In particular, he paces his books so that they can be adapted to film scenes easily. I think his later books were written with movies in mind (this is just my opinion, of course!). >because there is so much more to >the words that cannot be confined by film and vision alone. This is of course true for virtually any book. Is it particularly true for Crichton? > Although insanely difficult to translate, Sphere was actually a good > movie, and an utterly fantastic book. So many were disatisfied by the > movie version, but I have a great fondness for it. I haven't seen this movie, you're the first person who I've heard say it was good. It's myfavorite book of his, probably. (sorry if i bother anyone with the off-topic post) bert r. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:19:11 EST Subject: Re: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. In a message dated 2/10/99 11:10:59 AM, m_peror07@hotmail.com writes: >Now, here's something I've been wondering(humor me, I'm a newbie): how > >did all you people find out about TMBG? I mean, the only time I ever >hear them on the radio is on novelty shows between "Fish Heads" and >"They're Going to Take Me Away". i don't remember a distinct time i "found out about TMBG".. i guess somehow i'd heard their name every once in a while... one of those bands that .. sneaks up on ya !:) and i had heard their songs on the radio but never paid attention much. then about 5 years ago, i had a tape of stuff i'd taped off the radio, and "particle man" was on there. i was listening to it a lot, and i had one of my friends listen to it, and she said "oh i know this song! my sister has the tape!" ... so she offered to make me a non-staticy-radio copy. she copied that and coincidentally, "they're coming to take me away". and we'd listen to it in art class. (the teacher let us bring in tapes.. :) wow.. to think before i was a tmbg fan, i had the whole class listening, ... hehe) annnnnnnnd then one day, i decided to spend a birthday media play gift certificate on a tmbg cd (and bjork.) i got misc. t ~ it was the only one they had in stock with a song on it i recognized -- "don't lets's start." (i also got bjork's "debut".) i loved it and followed it up with john henry (i was actually well aware of the song "snail shell") ... and then flood, lincoln, apollo 18, and the pink album.{{and all assorted ep's and stuff in my collection; followed by remaining releases yet to be released then...}} tah dah! sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C1B338.381E8BFC@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:26:32 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous Jason Fickley wrote: > > Well, that's great, good for Moxy Fruvous. That doesn't mean, however, that > if some other band that I really liked was playing at the Troc, my personal > boycott would affect the people there in any way. I'm not saying it will. I am saying that some peoples' decisions to personally boycott the Troc have caused the band Moxy Fruvous to not play there anymore. I think we are just looking at this differently. I guess I'm more idealistic here. I believe something and don't want to prostitute that belief at all. A lot of times if you look at that realistically, it seems silly, but to me, it isn't. > Once again, that's great, but it's irrelevant to someone who wants to go > see a concert that is already booked. Why miss out on seeing your favorite > band, choosing instead to sit at home, unbeknownst (i probably spelled that > wrong) to the people running the Troc? Because I believe in something and want to stand by that belief. I came by that belief at known sacrifices and am more than willing to live with it, you know? I would much rather see any band I care about play in a place which will help them provide their fans with a good time and make them more successful. I believe that the Troc is NOT such a place and if a band I care about plays there, I think it is a bad decision on their part. > If you go to the concert and are > disappointed with the way you're treated by the staff, then by all means, > complain, try to contact the band and/or the Troc to let them know how you > feel about the venue, whatever. But if you ask me, skipping a concert that > is going to take place at the Troc whether you go or not will only hurt > yourself and and not the Troc. To me, ignoring yourself and what you think is right just to see a show hurts you far more than having to find something to do for one night. But that's just my opinion. > >How would you like it if > >1200 people came to see TMBG at the Troc, the staff were asses, and > >1200 people came out of the Troc blaming the band for it and never > >buying another album again? > > If someone was mistreated by the staff at a concert venue and blamed the > band for it, then they're just ignorant. But will your staying at home > during said concert change anything about that? I guess not directly blaming the band, but if the experience were bad enough, it would hurt the band. It really would. You're sitting there looking at two albums wondering which to buy and one conjurs up a crappy show at the Troc and the other conjurs up a wonderful show at the TLA. Hmmmm. Which to buy? Of course, it's a lot easier for me to sit at home in Indiana when there is something going on in Philadelphia *grin* - Chad ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <2dd035d9.36c1b4c6@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:33:10 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous a'right fellas, thassenough. :P i can sit with you on both situations here. i agree with both of ya. so there. ppbbt. let's not get hasty. you're both right. i've been to a good share of concerts, and quite a few have had SHITTY security. however that would not keep me from seeing a band i love. (like TMBG.) i'd go, and who knows what the outcome'd be. if i was legitamately treated wrongly, i'd call up the venue and throw them my 2 cents. la la. sarah "love, baby, don't hate." - conan o'brien ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <90e5b955.36c1d071@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:31:13 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous I'm confused here....during the show were there problems with the security not letting you enjoy it? Or was it just after the show was over and they were clearing everyone out of the place? I'm trying to remember the original post, but I can't recall anything about the actual experience during the band's performance that made it unenjoyable. jennifer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:14:03 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Opening bands Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > What's the name of the song covered by TMBG (performed at concerts? I've > > got it on a video of an in-store) with the lyric "We're off to the drugstore > > to whistle at girls"? Who's it by? > > > This would be Walt Kelly's "Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow". And I > don't think they perform it often, but it has been a part of their > repertoire for years. And if you absolutely must hear it, it's on Stumpbox. > >john and john were born in '59 and '60. > When are their birthdays? (Also, which one is which ['59 and '60]). Linnell: June 12, 1959 Flans: May 6, 1960 The FAQ is your friend. :) > Eddie from > Ohio at my first (and sadly only) Fruvous concert. And both those > bands are fairly well liked. Speaking of which, does anyone know if > EFO is going to be in Columbus Oh. in the near future? And doesn't THAT sound like a dream concert. I'm still looking for a tape of it. Speaking of dream concerts, everyone check out the lineup for this year's Falcon Ridge Folk Festival--damn near every cool band. I'm saving up for airfare even as we speak. Anyhoo. www.efohio.com/gigs.html has EFO's schedule. I STILL think a TMBG/Fruvous double bill would kick major bootie. Think about it--wouldn't it absolutely ROCK??? Unfortunately, it would be well-nigh impossible to simultaneously be stage Linnell and stage Murray... Of course, a concert like that... I'll settle for any spot I can get. >We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY TMBG > show you've gone to. Lessee... I've had pretty good luck, actually. Nov. '96: Cub. I was actually kinda dissapointed... they were ok but not great. Mar. '97: Brian Dewan. My favorite so far. :) Oct. '98: Michael Shelley. Better than I'd been expecting--melodic, catchy, and they seemed like nice guys. But they were LOUD; I was glad I'd had my earplugs. > Candy Butchers (Aug. 1996) - great music, but they lack a bit of stage > presence. at least they did then. the audience participation stuff was > kind of cool, but they lost a lot of people. Are they ever coming out with that album of theirs? I like their Santa Special song ("Give Me A Second Chance For Christmas") bunches. > Man or Astroman (Dec. 1999) - I thought they were awful. All their > songs sounded the same, and the setup was more gratuitous than I could > stand. their play ran out really quickly - You're NOT from outer space. > Get over it! and the samples were inaudible. Yah, they don't seem like a live band, do they? I have one of their albums and listen to it every now and again, but I don't think it'd translate well into live concert terms. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "We won't say that we're better; it's just that we're less worse."--the Arrogant Worms, "Proud to be Canadian" Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:29:40 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: edith frost rocks my world. Message-ID: On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > allright kids... here's my dealy-o: > Cake is playing two sold-out shows here in denver, one tonight and one > tomorrow night. And yes, i've got tickets to both. Now, i'm on my way > to tonight's show in like 5 minutes but about tomorrow's show... > Should i sell my tickets to tomorrow nights show (since, well, i most > likely will be able to make some major cash) and then head down to the > edith frost/lullaby for the working class show instead? i have two words for you: YES. --jim kuemmerle, who's never been a math major... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:31:20 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands Ok, I guess I'll toss out my own opening band list: Cub...very good! They had a lot of charisma and energy, especially the drummer :) I felt bad when some jerks started heckling them. Gravel Pit...nicknamed by one of my friends as "The Drew Carey Band," hehe. They were by far the loudest...my mom and I were at the very front, and she unabashedly put her fingers in her ears throughout their set...and she likes music louder than I do! Goatboy... ::shudder:: Still, I'm glad to have seen them so I know that all the stuff people have said about them is _not_ an exaggeration. Fat Amy...also loud and fairly unmemorable music, but the lead singer kinda creeped me out because he reminded me of a really slimy guy who used to hit on me. Michael Shelley...I liked him, including the funny way he handles hecklers. Don't know if I'd ever buy his stuff, but it certainly wasn't unpleasant to listen to. And that's it so far...I did see TMBG once at a festival in Gainsville, but can't remember the names of the (mostly local to the area) bands who came on before them. And the first time I saw TMBG was at one of the '96 Mercury Lounge shows when they did an early and late show, so no opening act, just two TMBG shows in a row, yay! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:35:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again Message-ID: <19990210.143542.9494.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein >We do this every so often... who was your favorite opening band at ANY TMBG >show you've gone to. My absolute favorite opening band was Lincoln...and my least favoriet was Double Dong. If anyone else has seen them live, then you must know where I'm coming from. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:41:48 -0500 (EST) From: "ASTON, HEATHER" Subject: TMBG: Opening Bands Message-id: Well, I'm one of those lurkers, so here I come out of the closet. This past New Years Eve was my very first TMBG concert. Which is kind of odd, since I first got into them in 1988, when I bought Lincoln. This is going to sound strange, but I couldn't listen to them for years. I was ill and I couldn't bear the relentless cheeriness. Well, I went and I'm glad I did, I found something I'd lost-my sense of humor, and some happiness. But back to the topic. I don't understand why people have to be so mean. At the New Years' show (early one)frat boys were yelling at....that guy. Carmaig de Forest, that's it. It's strange no one seems to remember his name-it's not exactly common, like John Smith or something. Some idiot standing directly behind me, breathing his beery breath on me, was yelling "get off the stage." again and again. I wanted to say something to him, but well, I'm a girl, and he was drunk, so I didn't. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4qkSIm_00UwC0YCp80@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:59:46 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Feb-99 Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia .. by Chad Maloney@rosevc.rose > Of course, it's a lot easier for me to sit at home in Indiana > when there is something going on in Philadelphia *grin* although, really, that does bring up another point - a large number of the people at shows in Philadelphia come from other cities - DC, Baltimore, New York, most of New Jersey, and even Pittsburgh (hi! :). People in Philly might feel inclined to go anyway, but I'd probably not waste my effort on a road trip if I knew the venue was bad. Even someone a couple of hours away might think twice - especially in a large-ish city where they'll play anyway. What I'd really like to do is contact the TMBG people to ensure that they don't play the Troc. (it wouldn't be for a while, since they're playing at the Electric Factory on March 4...) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:02:58 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia and Moxy Fruvous Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Feb-99 Re: NON-TMBG: Philadelphia .. by PULPSTRESS@aol.com > I'm confused here....during the show were there problems with the security not > > letting you enjoy it? Or was it just after the show was over and they were > clearing everyone out of the place? I'm trying to remember the original post, > but I can't recall anything about the actual experience during the band's > performance that made it unenjoyable. part of a Fruvous show experience is getting to hang out with them afterwards and talk to them and stuff. This was impossible, except when the band members decided to come outside, but were denied re-entry when they wanted to get their stuff. And apparently some security people were making loud comments about their dissatisfaction during the show. They seemed to be anxious to get it finished, and frustrated that people weren't buying alcohol. (it was a pretty young crowd) it's also a matter of the fact that after that I really don't want to give them my business anymore. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990210201947.12108.rocketmail@web309.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:19:47 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands ---Todd Wetherbee wrote: > I didn't hear this. In fact, I only saw like 4 songs, but it sounded to > me like the crowd was cheering vigorously, in fact maybe even more > vigorously than was warrented. > Farside Well I think that the main hecklers were the group of frat boys standing right behind me. Of course they looked a little out of place and uncomfortable at the TMBG concert to begin with, so that might have had something to do with it. == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:20:45 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Feb-99 TMBG: Opening bands by Nicole Carlson@ucdavis.e > I STILL think a TMBG/Fruvous double bill would kick major bootie. Think > about it--wouldn't it absolutely ROCK??? Unfortunately, it would be > well-nigh impossible to simultaneously be stage Linnell and stage > Murray... Of course, a concert like that... I'll settle for any spot I can > get. would you believe that it's happened? according to Flansburgh, there was a show in 1995 where they both played, but I tried cross referencing old Quills with tmbg.net and turned up no coinciding venues and dates. So it might have been a last minute addition, or left out of tmbg.net's list of dates. I believe the show was in Toronto somewhere. There has been a Fruvous/Weird Al show before, and Weird Al even got up to play with them on Jockey Full of Bourbon. a Weird Al/TMBG show will probably never happen, given Flans' opinion of him. :( And why be stage Murray, anyway? he doesn't pull on your hair during I Love My Boss like Jian does. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990210161110.00943ba0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:13:39 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands At 03:20 PM 2/10/99, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > >There has been a Fruvous/Weird Al show before, and Weird Al even got up >to play with them on Jockey Full of Bourbon. a Weird Al/TMBG show will >probably never happen, given Flans' opinion of him. :( Flans' opinion? Was this in an interview or somethin'? I don't believe I've read it. If it's up on the www, can you post the URL to the list? -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <7cfdb015.36c1f604@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:11:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands In a message dated 2/10/99 3:24:11 PM, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: >And why be stage Murray, anyway? he doesn't pull on your hair during I >Love My Boss like Jian does. :) 'cause murray's a hottie! :) wheeee! sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990210163846.0094a370@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:44:36 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG Like some of you, I first heard Istanbul & Particle Man on Tiny Toons. Those songs stuck with me, and eventually, in the summer '94, I came across a tape of Flood and bought that...(the same day I got my second ever pair of eyeglasses. Wow.) The tape broke in '95 while on a Journalism conference.... OK, jump forward to March 12, '96 (IIRC?) I had just picked up Weird Al's "Bad Hair Day" on CD, and a number of people on alt.music.weird-al were talking about how much "Everything You Know Is Wrong", one of my favorite songs on the CD, sounds like TMBG. That piqued my interest, so I got Flood on CD, and from there it pretty much spiralled out of control. By September '96 (the same month I joined the list, or maybe it was Aug. '96; I don't remember), my first semester at Clemson, I had all the full-length albums. (No easy feat, considering I wasn't working then. I skipped meals to buy TMBG, seriously.) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990208175225.321.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: ages Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:52:25 PST I'm 67, and I've been a TMBG fan ever since I was 15. Okay, I admit it. I'm lying. Even in base 4. I'm actually 24, to be 25 on April 26. Now I'm older still. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C1C711.C2ABFC7F@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:51:15 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. > Now, here's something I've been wondering (humor me, I'm a newbie): how > did all you people find out about TMBG? Well, I don't know how long I've sorta known that they've existed, for I remember hearing Istanbul and Birdhouse in Your Soul on occasion years ago, though I didn't know that they were by They Might Be Giants. My dad bought Flood, for some reason, when it first came out probably, and I remember hearing him play that like once and I liked it. However, I did not pursue this interest. Two years ago, I'm applying for colleges and Eastern Michigan is one of them. They have this special program for propective students that lasts a couple days where you can go visit the school, sleep in a dorm room etc. And one perk is, they'll give you free TMBG concert tickets, because they happen to be coming to the school at that very time. I thought, "that's pretty cool, but who's TMBG?" My friend Evan (a huge TMBG fan, and former listie), hears I am going to this concert and was so jealous (he did end up getting himself to that concert even though it was three hours away from our hometown). So anyway, before the concert, I dig out Flood from my dad's CD collection, listen to it a few times, and like it. I had a blast at the concert. Afterwards, Evan continually told me to listen to TMBG, listen to TMBG. I listened to Flood lots, but it takes me like another year to actually buy another album besides that. But from then on, I've been a hardcore fan, with all their CDs, obsessing over the Johns, and going to seven concerts since the one at EMU. Diana ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990210181017.0092f770@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:15:07 -0500 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands The only time I've seen They Might Be Giants was at a pseudo-festival here in Richmond, about two years ago I guess. Jimmie's Chicken Shack, who I didn't get there in time to see, Everything, who was ok, Bio Ritmo, who sucked big time, and the band that is fantastic, Agents of Good Roots, all opened for them. Of course, my definition of "opening" is playing before another band comes on stage. Ben "di magni, salaputium disertum (Great Gods, an eloquent dwarf!)"-Catullus Take A Gander, part 2 http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/lights/5364 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990205012520.15554.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Bradley Gibson" Subject: NON-TMBG: ages + hair Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:25:19 PST >I just turned 24 a couple of weeks ago. I'm getting old. once in a while >I'll spot a gray hair in my head. Scary huh? > Indeed, but I'm a mere 15 (16 in two weeks exactly, feb 18) and I too spot the stark, gleaming white hairs on my head when i look in the mirror, and have since i was about 10. Mwa-ha-ha! *evil grin* My Sister said she'd dye my hair for me, and my Brother offered to rip them out one-by-one, but I like the idea of having grey hair, It makes you look more dignified, and it makes me look more like Harrison Ford. (as I'm told :o) btw: my B-Day is shared with the likes of John Hughes, John Travolta, and Yoko Ono... as well as Gambia, Pluto, and Huckleberry Finn. (flashes a smile over to the Inspector) ~~~ Still not quite over the fact that Leffel digs the Pokemon cartoons... James "three year lurker" LeVeque AKA Bradley Gibson AKA blue_j ~~~ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199902102333.SAA26881@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: NRBQ opening for TMBG Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:33:13 -0500 (EST) > I wish I'd seen NRBQ open for TMBG ... but that was in Virginia > or some-such place like that ... although the Q really need a > full set to do themselves justice, not just an opening slot. I was at this show, it was June 1994 and, in fact, my first TMBG show. It was at Wolf Trap in Virginia. I didn't really care for NRBQ but there were a few folks in the audience with NRBQ shirts and such. The thing is, it was more like a co-bill, they each played 1 1/2 hour sets! I really didn't like that since I wasn't too hot for NRBQ and I really wanted to see TMBG being my first show ever! -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:33:59 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: mostly non TMBG: irritated grumblings, weezer, Message-id: <36C21766.1B8E@wmich.edu> > ><< i struggled to think of a good recommendation that hasn't already >been > mentioned... >> > >hm. the moody blues! yes! rush! steve vai! hooray for prog rock! >everyone go out and buy steve howe's newest solo album, "quantum >guitar!" >now, dammit! :) I love Yes, and Rush.... know a bit of Moody Blues...... Here's some more greats for ya: Emerson Lake & Palmer, Jethro Tull, The Who and then there's the Greatful Dead, The Doors, The Byrds, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Sting, Peter Gabriel (i could go on forever!)...... And then there's my moderne favs like Tori Amos, U2, the Verve, Ween, REM, Phish, and many others previously mentioned on this list. I also have an affliction for Jazz, Classical, Musical and Movie soundtracks, and some New Age...... How's that for different! I'd like to know who has more varied tastes in music than i.... its a rare thing you know, and most people don't know what half (err, most) of the music i own is! ~Sarah "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:44:08 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG Message-ID: <24542-36C219C8-70@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, the first time I got a taste of TMBG, was when Istanbul & Particle Man were on Tiny Toons. Of course, back then, I had no clue who They were, and I liked the songs, but thought that they were just made for the show or something. Until, that faithful day early last year, when my friend Josh brought over his older brother's copy of Flood. He insited I listen to it, because it was so funny. So I did. I instantly recognized Particle Man & Istanbul, but couldn't quite place were from. Then Josh said "You heard it on Tiny Toons, huh?" And yes, it had been Tiny Toons were I first experenced Them a few years before. Anyway, after hearing the rest of Flood, I was hooked! I borrowed the C.D. from Josh for a few months, until his brother became curious as to were it was. So I had to return it. So eventually, I just bought it. It still remains to this day...MY FAVORITE ALBUM OF ALL TIME!!! Following Flood, came the rest of their C.D.s, in I believe this order: Factory Showroom, Apollo 18, Then: The Earlier Years, John Henry & Severe Tire Damage. And yes, I just bought Then instead of getting The Pink Album, Lincoln, & Misc. T. Which reminds me, is the (She Was A) Hotel Detective single version worth buying Misc. T by itself (because it's not on the Then version)? Oh yeah, thrown into the mix at some time was John Linnel's 2 collections of his Hello stuff, Mono Puff's 2 C.D.s (and oe of their E.P.s) plus the E.Ps for S~E~X~X~Y, Back To Skull & Why Does The Sun Shine. And I'm sure there's still many more to come, I'm sure. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:49:01 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: Crichton, Beowulf Message-ID: <19990210.185000.-215735.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray >> Certain aspects of the Congo movie I enjoyed. But it is very >difficult >> to put Crichton's works on the screen because there is so much more >to >> the words that cannot be confined by film and vision alone. > >It's funny that you say this, because I've always thought that >Crichton's books are MOREsuited to cinema than most authors. In >particular, he paces his books so that they can be >adapted to film scenes easily. I think his later books were written >with movies in mind (this >is just my opinion, of course!). Ah, but I find that a lot of learning is involved with his books. And they'd make for damned long movies if every aspect of them were transferred to the screen, but yes, that is true for all books. Tho' books I've read by John Grisham really just had story and no learning involved, and things about it made it easier to turn into a movie. You know, how in his books, Crichton cuts into the story and brings up some interesting facts. That's not easy to do in a movie. Although many people disagree, I really enjoyed the book Lost World, and was very dissapointed in the movie, it was completely different. They should've had help from Crichton. The only thing that I did not like in the book version is the fact that he made the miasaur eggs to big, and he probably knew better. One of the well known facts is that miasaur babies began life at around the size of a squirrel, and grew extrordinarily fast, the eggs couldn't have been to big to strech a humans arms around. I guess a lot of people criticized the movie who didn't read the book. Sarah wasn't a bonehead, pushing her way into a dangerous world and not caring about her or anyone else. In the book, she was the last to get to the island, was invited to come. There was no resue mission involved. Until the end. And you get the idea of animal testing for the bad guys instead of revisiting the issue of opening another theme park. And the animals on the island were doomed, the book made that clear, so Hammond was not saving anything. Not to mention he was supposed to be dead *sigh* Sorry, I used to obsessed with JP in middle school, which TMBG would take a major part in because I would make TMBG mix tapes thsat I thought would be a humorous Jurassic Park soundtrack according to the book's circumstances. So I really get into these MC conversations. >>because there is so much more to >>the words that cannot be confined by film and vision alone. > >This is of course true for virtually any book. Is it particularly >true for Crichton? see above ;) > >> Although insanely difficult to translate, Sphere was actually a >good >> movie, and an utterly fantastic book. So many were disatisfied by >the >> movie version, but I have a great fondness for it. > >I haven't seen this movie, you're the first person who I've heard say >it was good. It's myfavorite book of his, probably. Yeah, a good friend of mine really enjoyed it. My sister didn't like it because she didn't understand it. It left too many unanswered questions. But I think that was the point. It suprisingly followed the book quite well. There were no changes in the story other than an edit. No added characters or stupid stuff like that. And they did a great job of depicting each character's form of insanity. I think it's a cult thing, because you need to have read the book to get the full effect of the movie. And since they spent all there money on acting and practically zilch on special effects, it may have been a turn off in that way. That's all people want these days, a big light show w/ out a story. Personally, I'd like to sdee it on MST3K, the bots would have a great time with it. That last line was meant as a compliment btw ;) > >(sorry if i bother anyone with the off-topic post) Don't be sorry, not many people are involved, it ain't bigger than the list yet :) Heh, just imagine if it were Douglas Adams I was talkin' about. >bert r. Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:46:41 EST Subject: Re: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. In a message dated 2/10/99 5:53:14 PM, kocar.1@osu.edu writes: >My friend Evan (a huge TMBG fan, and former >listie), chakroff? with the sig that went like this? : -----> . more fun than a barrel of monkeys! ? sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004101be5555$83b34e60$0ba308d0@orion> From: "Kelly Mendenhall" Subject: Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:28:56 -0800 Well...the story goes a little something like this. One day umm back in the summer of '92...the snow had been freshly plowed and the milkman had already made his devilish hell ride through my neighborhood only running over one newly sprouted turnip...my pal Nick knocked on my door and exclaimed 'Hey, Kelly you gotta check out this tape that I found!' it turns out the tape was his moms boyfriends copy of Flood...and he had me listen to Dead and Birdhouse in your Soul and Particle Man. Amazingly at the time I wasn't all that impressed! I was kinda slow as a kid you see.....so after listening to those songs we went outside and hung around on my front porch which was all the rage back then. However, the winter of '93 I happened to hear one of my friends in high school mention Particle Man...and it rang a bell. I asked about who did that song and my friend replied 'They Might Be Giants' to which I said 'They must be who? Eh, would you make me a copy of that tape?' and so my friend made me a copy of Flood and I went home and listened to it and loved it! Amazing what a few months can do...The only problem was that I didn't have any listing of the tracks...so I didn't know what any of the songs were called...so I thought Road Movie to Berlin was Your Own Groovy Tuber Land...I thought that opening line went 'We're in your own groovy tuber land, can't drive out the way we drove in, so take our last Suburban and we'll go'...At any rate my friend then made me a copy of the Pink Album heh...my friend wrote the track list on this one...but I thought Alienation's For the Rich was Alien Nation is For the Rich which made sense to me...because it'd be really hard to watch Alien Nation if your TV was stuck in esperanto... my friends handwriting wasn't too keen. Heh the first album I actually purchased was Lincoln in May of '94...I bought the CD even before I had a CD player! And now you know....the rest of the story Kelly Lurker Extrodinaire Better Known to Those on IRC as MrHorrible ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990211013638.10277.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:36:38 PST Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >So, my question is: How is Moxy Fruvous pronounced? Well, it's spelled "Moxy Fruvous," but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove." -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (who's not a real doctor, but he might be chewing on a pair of feet) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:39:05 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Kelly Mendenhall wrote: (snip) > Amazing what a few months can do...The only problem was that I didn't > have any listing of the tracks...so I didn't know what any of the songs were > called...so I thought Road Movie to Berlin was Your Own Groovy Tuber > Land...I thought that opening line went 'We're in your own groovy tuber > land, can't drive out the way we drove in, so take our last Suburban and > we'll go' hee hee! amy, if this doesn't go in the mondegreen page, there's no justice... --jim kuemmerle, in his own little groovy tuber land right this very moment... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:41:28 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and Utah Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Well, it's spelled "Moxy Fruvous," but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler > Mangrove." i could have sworn you were going to type "mancomb seepgood..." > Nathan (who's not a real doctor, but he might be chewing on a pair of > feet) (singing:) i don't know whether i'd rather be having a pair of feet, i don't know whether i'd rather be having an egg... --jim kuemmerle, who doesn't know whether he'd rather be having an order of bacon or whether he'd rather be having a basket of garlic bread... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:57:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Feb-99 Re: TMBG: Opening bands by Adam Tyner@CLEMSON.EDU > Flans' opinion? Was this in an interview or somethin'? I don't believe > I've read it. If it's up on the www, can you post the URL to the list? Flans doesn't seem to appreciate Weird Al's humor, or even his non-serious nature. He doesn't seem to understand him. I forget where I saw this - I think it was around the time Bad Hair Day was released and people were talking about Everything You Know is Wrong... someone asked Flans about it and he flipped out over it. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990211015755.4737.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Happy Cow ." Subject: NON-TMBG: A pointless random thing... Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:57:55 PST Kelly wrote: >And now you know....the rest of the story WOO HOO!!!! I listen to that every day on the way home from school! I don't remember what station it's on, but my friend's mom listens to it all the time! Oh, that's so cool! I love AM radio! ...And now back to your regularly scheduled lives... ~Connie~ "!Mi cabeza esta en fuego!" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902110158.UAA11735@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:56:44 -0500 Subject: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG >From: "Kelly Mendenhall" > >Well...the story goes a little something like this. One day umm >back in the summer of '92...the snow had been freshly plowed and the >milkman had already made his devilish hell ride through my >neighborhood only running over one Wow, you had a milkman deliver your milk? I thought they only did that in England? -Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:02:04 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: milkmen Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Matt James wrote: > >Well...the story goes a little something like this. One day umm > >back in the summer of '92...the snow had been freshly plowed and the > >milkman had already made his devilish hell ride through my > >neighborhood only running over one > Wow, you had a milkman deliver your milk? I thought they only did > that in England? growing up in southeastern new mexico, my house was the target of a milkman every friday morning. i don't think they still do it, though, or at least they don't hit our house anymore. --jim kuemmerle, whose brother became a teenager and quadrupled our weekly milk expense... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007501be5563$ded9ede0$0ba308d0@orion> From: "Kelly Mendenhall" Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:11:40 -0800 >Wow, you had a milkman deliver your milk? I thought they only did >that in England? >-Matt Heh, no...that part of the story was not true...no milkmen here! But as a kid I always was waiting for one to show up one day....ahhh the glory of the milk man... Later! Kelly ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <16b32dae.36c23a0c@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:01:48 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands In a message dated 2/10/99 8:58:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: << Flans doesn't seem to appreciate Weird Al's humor, or even his non-serious nature. He doesn't seem to understand him. I forget where I saw this - I think it was around the time Bad Hair Day was released and people were talking about Everything You Know is Wrong... someone asked Flans about it and he flipped out over it. >> Nnnnnope...Unless you are thinking of something else, in an AOL chat I was at, someone asked Flans if he has heard Everything You Know is Wrong, and if Flans thinks its a TMBG parody. Flansburgh said something along the lines of "No I haven't heard it. I bet it isn't." Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C1FDC6.CFBBEAC1@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:44:39 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: a dash of TMBG: recommendations, etc. LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 2/10/99 5:53:14 PM, kocar.1@osu.edu writes: > > >My friend Evan (a huge TMBG fan, and former > >listie), > > chakroff? with the sig that went like this? : > > -----> . > more fun than a barrel of monkeys! > No, I'm not sure what his sig would've been then. His last name is Kleve. He tends to sign his emails, "your psychotically deranged yet friendly pal, Evan." I believe he used to have a quote from Where Your Eyes Don't Go at the bottom, too. Diana ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:46:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands > Nnnnnope...Unless you are thinking of something else, in an AOL chat I was at, > > someone asked Flans if he has heard Everything You Know is Wrong, and if > Flans > thinks its a TMBG parody. Flansburgh said something along the lines of "No I > haven't heard it. I bet it isn't." > Here's a good question....... what would it have been a rip off of? I can't even think of one song! -Samantha ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990211030058.25902.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Happy Cow ." Subject: Re: not a whole heck of a lot of TMBG: recommendations, etc. Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:00:57 PST Hello All, I just want to tell everyone here to check out a really cool band called 10 Speed. They should have a CD out this spring, if all goes well. My friend introduced them to me a few months ago, and I must say they're really groovy! http://www.10Speed.com As for other music that I enjoy... Ani DiFranco, Soul Coughing, Moxy Fruvous, Mono Puff, Buck-O-Nine, Save Ferris, Dave Matthews Band, R.E.M., Weezer, James Taylor, Frank Sinatra, and, um, a few more that I can't remember right now because I've been doing too much homework and my brain hurts. I have one more recommendation.... If you're ever really bored, go look at my webpage. It's nothing special, but it has a nifty little story that I wrote along with some other stuff... http://www.angelfire.com/oh/tmbg ...And now back to your regularly scheduled lives... ~Connie~ "!Mi cabeza esta en fuego!" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:40:37 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: ages + hair > My Sister said she'd dye my hair for me, and my Brother offered to rip > them out one-by-one, but I like the idea of having grey hair, It makes > you look more dignified, and it makes me look more like Harrison Ford. > (as I'm told :o) Just dye your hair green. Mine is green. It's fun. -Samantha ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990210220808.0092b3c0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:13:57 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands A parody or tribute doesn't mean it's a rip off of anything. A number of posts have been made to this list and to alt.music.weird-al & alt.music.tmbg detailing the similarities between Everything You Know Is Wrong and a number of TMBG songs. Check Dejanews or the list archives. -Adam At 09:46 PM 2/10/99, IamSam98@aol.com wrote: > >Here's a good question....... what would it have been a rip off of? I can't >even think of one song! -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:59:30 EST Subject: non:TMBG:theMilkmen Hehe, that just made me think of something really fun to do when I become an adult. I'll have to get a mikman's uniform and some milk bottles and go to a random neiborhood and pretend to be one...not really early in the morning, but when people are up and about...I think it would be fun. I can start my own milkman..er..woman or whatever. Anyone wanna join me?! -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <6e1ff307.36c24705@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:57:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands In a message dated 2/10/99 9:56:19 PM, IamSam98@AOL.com writes: >> someone asked Flans if he has heard Everything You Know is Wrong, and >if >> Flans >> thinks its a TMBG parody. Flansburgh said something along the lines >of "No >I >> haven't heard it. I bet it isn't." >> > >Here's a good question....... what would it have been a rip off of? I can't >even think of one song! everythingrightiswrongagain,justlikeinthelonglongtrailer... sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009f01be5572$734b4ce0$1ce4fbd0@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:55:55 -0500 jim jim bo bim wrote: On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Kelly Mendenhall wrote: (snip) > Amazing what a few months can do...The only problem was that I didn't > have any listing of the tracks...so I didn't know what any of the songs were > called...so I thought Road Movie to Berlin was Your Own Groovy Tuber > Land...I thought that opening line went 'We're in your own groovy tuber > land, can't drive out the way we drove in, so take our last Suburban and > we'll go' hee hee! amy, if this doesn't go in the mondegreen page, there's no justice... In order to keep justice served and jim giggling, the mondegreen page has been sufficiently updated. I even added a nifty background! Go see: http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/TMBGreen.html Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <5b8e1533.36c2561a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:01:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG In a message dated 2/10/99 10:59:53 PM, kelspots@gateway.net writes: > In order to keep justice served and jim giggling, the mondegreen page >has been sufficiently updated. I even added a nifty background! Go see: > > http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/TMBGreen.html > > Amy :) > > actually, that bg doesn't work 'cause it's a bmp file.. bg's can either be gifs or jpgs. :{ sarah :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00b301be5574$161e3bc0$1ce4fbd0@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT's Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:07:40 -0500 Brother John Green Jello wrote: The biggest waste of money I've ever seen. Rob, did you ever get that money from Christy, goddess of deception? Hey yeah, I'd like to know what's up with them too. They sure sounded like a good idea at the time. And on the opening bands note, my favorite were The Candy Butchers, who I saw after driving all night to my very second TMBG show. Ahh, memories :) Amy :)Come trade with me! http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/boots.html [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-12 ******************************