Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 13 Saturday, 13 February 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: FA: Hey Mr. DJ promo CD Re: TMBG: Opening bands Re: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG Re: TMBG: Opening Bands TMBG: mondegreens NON-TMBG:Unalert me Re: NON-TMBG:Unalert me Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: Crichton, Beowulf, Ansel Adams :P Re: non:TMBG:theMilkmen Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again TMBG: Ween hates TMBG TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #15-11 Re: TMBG: OMLT's non-TMBG: friendly message from your neighborhood jay. Re: NON-TMBG:Unalert me Re: TMBG: OMLT's Re: non:TMBG:theMilkmen Re: TMBG: OMLT's TMBG: Gianthead TMBG: Music Recommendation- MONEY MARK TMBG: I'm sorry!!! TMBG: Name change Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: DNA, and Star Wars vs. Spaceballs TMBG: TMBG: Re: a dash of TMBG TMBG: TMBG reference in Entertainment Weekly TMBG: TMBG reference on my calendar TMBG: Happy Birthday Jennifer! TMBG: All Hail Flood NON-TMBG: Fruvous's 'b' album (was Re: TMBG: All Hail Flood) Re: TMBG: All Hail Flood non-TMBG: t.s. eliot/crash test dummies Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie TMBG: TMBG Re: How you got into TMBG TMBG: First TMBG / Weird music TMBG: Thank you Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG Re: TMBG: TMBG reference in Entertainment Weekly Re: TMBG: TMBG reference in Entertainment Weekly TMBG: a little more about those yummy opening bands Re: TMBG: TMBG Re: How you got into TMBG Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <6b626725.36c25348@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:49:28 EST Subject: TMBG: FA: Hey Mr. DJ promo CD Hello 41- I have a copy of Copy of Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal promotional CD for auction at Ebay. It is in excellent condition. There are no liner notes, except for a sticker with the lyrics on the back of the jewel case. The address is: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=65673663 Happy bidding Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:22:34 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening bands Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Feb-99 Re: TMBG: Opening bands by IamSam98@aol.com > Here's a good question....... what would it have been a rip off of? I can't > even think of one song! title: Everything Right is Wrong form: verse, refrain, verse, refrain, bridge, verse, refrain - typical song music: Birdhouse, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, Twisting bridge: Purple Toupee, Hall of Heads, The Famous Polka references: We Want a Rock, My Evil Twin, Everything Right is Wrong It's parodying their "style," from back when it was very easy to identify a TMBG song without having heard it first. (note that the music is mostly Flood-ish) And it was recorded in November, 1994, so there are no references to anything beyond John Henry in it, and maybe not even much from there. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:21:18 EST Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: TMBG: How you got into TMBG >Wow, you had a milkman deliver your milk? I thought they only did >that in England? >-Matt One time a company offered to deliver our milk, and we said no. Then they sent us a tape showing us the wonders of milk delivery, and we said no. Then they sent ninja's to get us to buy milk, but we destroyed the ninja's with our mighty fist of justice, and then we destroyed there evil ring of milk salesmen, and we said no. We sure showed them. Jeff "I hate you Milkman Dan" Craig P.S. the part about the ninja's is fabricated ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:31:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands In a message dated 2/10/99 11:23:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: << title: Everything Right is Wrong<< Nope. From "Ask Al" on www.weirdal.com-- Jeremiah of South Paris, Maine asks: One of my absolute favorite songs of yours is "Everything You Know Is Wrong". Was the title at all inspired by the Firesign Theatre album of the same title? Yes, which is why the Firesign Theatre is thanked in the liner notes. >>music: Birdhouse, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, Twisting bridge: Purple Toupee, Hall of Heads, The Famous Polka references: We Want a Rock, My Evil Twin, Everything Right is Wrong >> Not to mention that the whole song is really like an (even more) twisted version of Turn Around. Odd things happening to the singer, and each verse ends with a character the singer encounters singing the chorus. Other possible references are Rabid Child ("...rabid wolverine in my underwear") and theres the naming of products, which TMBG tends to do (nyquil, Miller High Life, etc). Also the mention of St.Peter (Dig My Grave). Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:55:27 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: mondegreens Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, banana fanna fo famy wrote: > hee hee! amy, if this doesn't go in the mondegreen page, there's no > justice... > > In order to keep justice served and jim giggling, the mondegreen > page has been sufficiently updated. I even added a nifty background! woohoo!!! thank you so much, amy! i really like the background! --jim kuemmerle, whose many ear infections as a kid resulted in a hefty contribution of mondegreens to amy's page... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <6758c120.36c269e8@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:26:00 EST Subject: NON-TMBG:Unalert me Where can I get a free MP3 player? I know someone already posted this, but well, I am not the brightest bulb in the drawer. Jeff "Almost as hot as Charleton Heston" Craig ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:46:21 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Unalert me In a message dated 99-02-11 00:40:16 EST, ErgoTM@aol.com writes: << Where can I get a free MP3 player? I know someone already posted this, but well, I am not the brightest bulb in the drawer. >> heck, my computer can't handle sound, and even i know the answer to this one--go to www.winamp.com and download yerself what others term a nifty piece of software. if you're on a mac, of course, the answer'll be different--check yer old email or the archives; it wasn't very long ago. should this be on the faq, along with the merits of moxy fruvous and mike leffel? ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 02:02:04 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36C28E7B.776D2CF8@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: Crichton, Beowulf, Ansel Adams :P Claire V Gray wrote: > >(sorry if i bother anyone with the off-topic post) > > Don't be sorry, not many people are involved, it ain't bigger than the > list yet :) Heh, just imagine if it were Douglas Adams I was talkin' > about. Did I hear someone mention the name of god?! I haven't heard many mentions of HGTTG recently... Come to think of it, I haven't heard much mention of Lima, Peru neither! What's going on? Has Wonko gone crazy? Can a pan galactic gargle blaster really power my car for eons? Will the Arcturian Megadonkey lose its legs? Find out in: Bob's Meaningless Post! Anywho, I was gonna say I really liked "The Great Train Robbery", a movie from 1979 or so which I believe is based on a book by Crichton. I really enjoyed the intricacy of the story. Quite a good movie portrayal. But then, I've never even thought to read the book. Oh, and I guess I have heard about the HG movie... I don't know what I was thinking in that first paragraph, but nor do any of you... I'll just shut up now. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Donald Sutherland is a very convincing corpse, you know" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 02:10:56 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36C29090.6CA092C7@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: non:TMBG:theMilkmen Alterian@aol.com wrote: > Hehe, that just made me think of something really fun to do when I become an > adult. > I'll have to get a mikman's uniform and some milk bottles and go to a random > neiborhood and pretend to be one...not really early in the morning, but when > people are up and about...I think it would be fun. I can start my own > milkman..er..woman or whatever. Anyone wanna join me?! > -Amber the Transcendent I think I heard something about a new Kevin Costner movie about Milkmen... Gonna call it "The Milkman". It's been done!!! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "I found that ending a bit predictable..." Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C2B0B3.A5284B2E@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 03:28:06 -0700 From: Gary Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite opening bands... again References: <199902110704.CAA06258@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lincoln would have been my fave opener for TMBG except they never opened for them on here on the West Coast. Of bands I've actually seen open for them, my vote goes to Candy Butchers. The Lonesome Debonairs were my least favorite but maybe that's because I wasn't expecting a country-ish band to open for them. It threw me off. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36C2CF44.F5A3C397@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:38:28 -0500 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: Ween hates TMBG > Ween and They Might Be Giants, my two favorites by far. Sure, Ween has > mentioned that they hate TMBG several times, but... mmmmmm, boy. > ~Amanda I get the strong impression that anything Gene & Dean say, should not be taken seriously. They are a good group, very strange but good. They're one of the few bands that I love AND hate. They have songs that are excellent, right next to songs that are pretty crappy IMO. I saw them in concert, and as you might expect, they were not what you might expect. bert np: Material, "Hallucination Engine" -- My homepage - now updated with even more boring photos and mindless tedium!: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36C2D0BA.4123EB15@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:44:43 -0500 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #15-11 > my question is: How is Moxy Fruvous pronounced? > Thanks, > Dexburger It rhymes with Doxy Gruvous bert np: Bjork, "Homogenic" -- My homepage - now updated with even more boring photos and mindless tedium!: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990211091152.007c0100@muc.muohio.edu> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:11:52 -0500 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT's >From: tmbgirl@juno.com > >>The biggest waste of money I've ever seen. Rob, did you ever get that >>money from Christy, goddess of deception? > >didn't you hear? rob, christy, and goatboy took the money, bought some >horses and split :P > >take it easy, JOrdaN Whoa whoa whoa whoa and hey and whoa once again? However did I get mixed up in the scandal? I believe I was the one who saw that there was lawsuit potential because Christy didn't cover herself as well as she believed. I got ripped too, but just because I don't complain about it all the time doesn't mean I was part of the scam. -Chris "I thought you knew me better than that" Combs ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:55:56 -0500 Subject: non-TMBG: friendly message from your neighborhood jay. Message-ID: <19990121.220633.3182.4.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: Renquist L Hedgeloff To my dearest friends and foes: Since AOL mail can be one annoying sonofabitch, I'm now going to use juno for most of my emailing needs--for list purposes, Renquist the Phone Book should serve me well. Any questions or comments on the sudden change can be taken and served, deep fried, with plastic CD cases on rye bread pending the re-release of Ken Starr into the jungle. I'll then answer them, but only if you can beat me in a game of mah jong blindfolded, handcuffed, and strapped to the back of a moving harrier jet as it plunges to its death into a carton of straw. (the pilot, of course, should know better; there's a feather mattress not two blocks away. *yawn*) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, purportedly the list's only phone book Remember, because you can't see it means it doesn't exist! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <2c39213e.36c31300@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:27:28 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Unalert me In a message dated 2/11/99 1:04:30 AM, RabbiVole@aol.com writes: >heck, my computer can't handle sound, and even i know the answer to this >one--go to www.winamp.com and download yerself what others term a nifty >piece >of software. if you're on a mac, of course, the answer'll be different--check >yer old email or the archives; it wasn't very long ago. > >should this be on the faq, along with the merits of moxy fruvous and mike >leffel? ;) > >peace, love, and good happiness stuff, arrrrrrrr! don't forget there's some people with macs too! (::stamping foot furiously, on the behalf of... me... and linnell, and flans ::) http://www.macamp.com sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:41:00 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT's In a message dated 2/11/99 9:15:09 AM, goatboy@entropy.muc.muohio.edu writes: > Whoa whoa whoa whoa and hey and whoa once again? However did I get >mixed up in the scandal? I believe I was the one who saw that there was >lawsuit potential because Christy didn't cover herself as well as she >believed. I got ripped too, but just because I don't complain about it >all >the time doesn't mean I was part of the scam. > >-Chris "I thought you knew me better than that" Combs i think she was referring to the opening band goatboy. ;) sarah? ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <2bbb423b.36c35565@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:10:45 EST Subject: Re: non:TMBG:theMilkmen Its been done?! Awww... Now I need to think of something else to do with my life. hrrrmm.. How about an amatuer super ball...I can do that..i usually bounce off walls and doors when i run into them... -Amber the Transcendent Mistress ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:31:35 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT's Message-ID: <19990211.154158.3966.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >>-Chris "I thought you knew me better than that" Combs > >i think she was referring to the opening band goatboy. ;) indeed... just meshing together a bunch of threads... sorry for the confusion :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:53:36 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Gianthead Message-ID: <14938-36C36D80-49@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> This is a question for all you TMBG.org Giantheads. Well, ya' see, I applied to become a member about a 2 weeks ago, and it said when I applied that they'd get back to me in a few days. Well, I still haven't gotten a reply. Does this mean I've been rejected? I don't see why. How long does this process usually take? me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990212003225.16236.rocketmail@send203.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:32:25 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Music Recommendation- MONEY MARK Money Mark is the best music every next to tmbg. It sounds nothing like Markie MArk if you are wondering. Go out and buy all his albums its worth a try. and theres only to of them. -Chris _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Pimppdaddy@webtv.net (Dude Menes) Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:09:32 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: I'm sorry!!! Message-ID: <6942-36C37F4C-884@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-1176685514-496 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit I'm sorry for anyone I offened. I was hie. Sorry, Dude --WebTV-Mail-1176685514-496 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit I have a new name. I've preveisly ben known as: PimmpDaddy @webtv.com Now I'm known as KoalaBeers@webtv.com Just to make sure I'm the one who sent you te hoe. yours truely, Dude ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:01:02 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: DNA, and Star Wars vs. Spaceballs Message-ID: <19990211.210115.-158687.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 02:02:04 -0600 Bob Scott writes: >Claire V Gray wrote: > > >> >(sorry if i bother anyone with the off-topic post) >> >> Don't be sorry, not many people are involved, it ain't bigger than >the >> list yet :) Heh, just imagine if it were Douglas Adams I was >talkin' >> about. > >Did I hear someone mention the name of god?! I haven't heard many >mentions of >HGTTG recently... Come to think of it, I haven't heard much mention of >Lima, >Peru neither! What's going on? Has Wonko gone crazy? Can a pan >galactic >gargle blaster really power my car for eons? Will the Arcturian >Megadonkey >lose its legs? Find out in: Bob's Meaningless Post! In theory: yes, yes &yes ;) > Anywho, I was gonna say I really liked "The Great Train Robbery", >a movie >from 1979 or so which I believe is based on a book by Crichton. I >really >enjoyed the intricacy of the story. Quite a good movie portrayal. But >then, >I've never even thought to read the book. > Oh, and I guess I have heard about the HG movie... I don't know >what I >was thinking in that first paragraph, but nor do any of you... I'll >just shut >up now. IMHO Disney is bringing out that My Favorite Martian Movie to hype and make popular: old sci-fi comedy stories. Thus receiving a larger profit from THHGTTG: The movie when it comes out the summer after next year (oh Leffel, is it really that soon:) . Plus you take into account The next Star Wars prequel, it's so perfectly timed. On the other hand, I remember DNA going to this one movie producer back in the 80's who wanted to turn HG into a Star Wars with jokes. So the job wasn't done. I have to wonder if this director or producer or whatever went on to make Spaceballs instead, which was a DAMNED GOOD MoViE. It may fascinate some listees to realise that I saw Spaceballs before I saw Star Wars, any other listees with the same experience? I grew up with that and Little Shop Ofd Horrors, which totally explains why I've become the person I now am :P Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > >bobscott@tmbg.org >AKA Bob "Donald Sutherland is a very convincing corpse, you know" >Scott > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:02:19 EST Subject: TMBG: Does anyone know where I can find the song "Hell Hotel" in wav, mp3, or ra format? Or could someone send it to me? Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:16:34 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: a dash of TMBG Message-ID: <19990211.221638.9998.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae >>I couldn't tell the difference between their voices until the "Doctor Worm" video. don't feel bad. i didn't realize both Johns sang leads until a few months ago, when, all of a sudden, i realized the guy singing on one song sounded a bit more different than the other. at least i'm not the only one... i don't feel so bad now. >>Now, here's something I've been wondering(humor me, I'm a newbie): how did all you people find out about TMBG? well... way back in my AOHell days, i would frequent a BF5 message board, and i noticed the majority of the folks on there were TMBG fans as well, so i got curious. also, i saw cartoon versions of "Particle Man" and "Istanbul" on Tiny Toon Adventures and found it great. i found a used copy of "SEXXY" and loved it, and bought Apollo 18 a week later. and now, five albums and two singles later... i still don't know much about them. hooray for ignorance! :-) ever-sincere, eriKa, who, due to a cold, sounds like a twelve-year-old boy going through puberty and has had "SEXXY" in her head all day because they're learning about chromosomes in her Biology class "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons." - T.S. Eliot ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003a01be5641$2535d320$57e4fbd0@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: TMBG: TMBG reference in Entertainment Weekly Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:35:38 -0500 In the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, we find out that Michelle Pfeiffer has a son named John Henry. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <9728f06b.36c3b0cb@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:40:43 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG reference on my calendar hey guys! on my calendar it says "lincoln's birthday"! that's pretty swell of them to commemorate the anniversary of the release of they might be giants's sophmore effort, don't ya think? gee wiz! sarah ;) ------------------------------ From: ghostkrabb@webtv.net Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:21:56 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <199902121421.GAA02608@exserv.egreetings.com> Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday Jennifer! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (image/gif)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990212170516.26530.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mad Midget" Subject: TMBG: All Hail Flood Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:05:16 EST So apparently our favorite Johns should roll out their prayer rugs, point it towards Brooklyn, and thank Allah for 2 things: 1. Flood 2. Tiny Toons Or they wouldn't have any fans. How interesting. I too, saw them through Tiny Toons, and bought "Flood" about a month later. The tape sounds like it's about to snap every time I play it, so I should save some dough and buy the cd one of these days. Oh, and the *bestest* version of "(She was)a Hotel Detective" is the 1994 version. The rest are negligible. Speaking of dough, I saw Moxy Frouvous's cd "b" for only $8. Should I get it, or stick with the live album? Mike the Saracen No, I thought, the geek in Colorado had it all wrong. The real problem is how to wallow with the eagles at night and soar with the pigs in the morning. -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36C469F4.231F6BE2@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:50:44 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: NON-TMBG: Fruvous's 'b' album (was Re: TMBG: All Hail Flood) Mad Midget wrote: > Speaking of dough, I saw Moxy Frouvous's cd "b" for only $8. Should I > get it, or stick with the live album? It's only an EP. Roughly 23 minutes of music. It's also mostly the humorous side of Fruvous. But must people's Frucollection wouldn't be complete without I Love My Boss, Greatest Man in America, and the Kid's Song. - Chad ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <16b96550.36c46bc7@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:58:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: All Hail Flood In a message dated 2/12/99 12:07:27 PM, m_peror07@hotmail.com writes: >So apparently our favorite Johns should roll out their prayer rugs, >point it towards Brooklyn, and thank Allah for 2 things: >1. Flood >2. Tiny Toons >Or they wouldn't have any fans. How interesting. *gasp* noooooooo! not me, sir! sarah ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <001e01be56c2$d17e1da0$c54856d1@computer> Subject: non-TMBG: t.s. eliot/crash test dummies Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:03:52 -0500 > >"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons." - T.S. Eliot > thank you for using this quote -- i recently bought the crash test dummies' cd "god shuffled his feet," and in the song "afternoons and coffee spoons" there is a lyric that goes "afternoons will be measured out, measured out by coffee spoons and t.s. eliot" and i had no idea why t.s. eliot's name was in there. but now i know why, so thank you very much. on a somewhat-tmbg-related thing, does anyone here think that crash test dummies and They are similar? maybe it's just me but while listening to the "gshf" album, i thought that the lyrics kinda had a tmbg feel to them. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990212202026.5324.rocketmail@web303.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:20:26 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie ---Claire V Gray wrote: > IMHO Disney is bringing out that My Favorite Martian Movie to hype and > make popular: old sci-fi comedy stories. Thus receiving a larger profit > from THHGTTG: The movie when it comes out the summer after next year (oh > Leffel, is it really that soon:) Please tell me I'm jumping to conclusions here. You're not telling me Disney (the butcherer of all not easily marketable plots, characters, and stories) is making the HHGTTG movie, are you??? == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:28:18 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: TMBG Re: How you got into TMBG Message-id: <36C48EE2.2EA1@wmich.edu> Well, like so many others, I first heard TMBG on Tiny Toons, which was my fav. show at the time. I had taped the episode and absolutely *loved* Particle Man and Istanbul. I had never heard of They Might be Giants before, and I wasn't sure if it was May, or Might, or Must (i thought Buster had said Might.... but i was just hard of hearing. Then, upon singing the songs in school one day I found out that one of my friends actually knew of TMBG and he loaned me Apollo 18. I listened to the tape every hour for the next week, during which I came to find a video tape with a clip from Conan O'Brian where they performed Why does the Sun Shine..... and all of this occurred at the time Snail Shell was being played on the radio. So many factors played a part in my newfound LOVE of TMBG..... but i think it was fate anyway. ~Sarah "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36C4BC09.FB477CB6@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:40:57 -0800 From: Bert Rubini Organization: no, thank you Subject: TMBG: First TMBG / Weird music > Now, here's something I've been wondering(humor me, I'm a newbie): how > did all you people find out about TMBG? A friend of mine belonged to one of those music clubs, ala BMG or Columbia House,where you automatically get the selection of the month if you don't return the card. Well, she got "Flood" this way, never having heard (or heard OF) the band. Next thing I know, she's telling me "I got this disc of a really WEIRD band, I don't know what to think about them..." She lent me the tape and the rest is history. Well, it's MY history, anyway. (This was in 1990, the CD was brand new). > I love Yes, and Rush.... know a bit of Moody Blues...... Here's some > How's that for different! I'd like to know who has more varied tastes > in music than i.... its a rare thing you know, and most people don't > know what half (err, most) of the music i own is! > > ~Sarah I know how you feel. On my homepage I have a list of my entire CD collection, and Iget more comments about that than anything else, usually along the lines of "Who *ARE* all these bands? Where did you ever *HEAR* about them?" etc. There's very little mainstream stuff on there, I guess. bert -- My homepage - slightly more interesting than watching grass grow: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <80da18c.36c49941@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:12:33 EST Subject: TMBG: Thank you Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday greetings. I wish I could write to you all individually, but I'm too lazy to do that. I'm too lazy to do anything :) I'm taking it easy today and tonight I'm going to see The Eels. It's free so I'll be able to have a drink or two. I wish I had enough money to have a drink for each person who said happy birthday, but I don't. I'll be thinking of you though. jennifer np *you just haven't earned it yet baby* the smiths ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:29:08 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36C49D24.53B0A557@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Talcott Starr wrote: > ---Claire V Gray wrote: > > IMHO Disney is bringing out that My Favorite Martian Movie to hype and > > make popular: old sci-fi comedy stories. Thus receiving a larger > profit > > from THHGTTG: The movie when it comes out the summer after next year > (oh > > Leffel, is it really that soon:) > Please tell me I'm jumping to conclusions here. You're not telling me > Disney (the butcherer of all not easily marketable plots, characters, > and stories) is making the HHGTTG movie, are you??? It's true. But the one solace we can all have is that Jim Carrey will not be cast as Arthur Dent. Douglas Adams has specifically said so, because Dent is British, and Carrey is more than likely Canadian (Just Kidding, I love Canada). As far as I know, Adams is the only one holding the first draft of the script as of right now, though that is going to change very soon. Actually, I read that a few weeks ago, so it's probably moved on to some other stage by now... Casting perhaps? Just remember: Disney has lots of money to throw around, and not every movie by Disney is like My Favorite Martian in nature. Brian Singer (Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil) will be directing(?), so I think it's more likely to be good than bad. I mean really... Can you make The Guide bad? Not even the BBC could accomplish that, and I swear on my own grave (digging it right now) that the BBC really tried back in those days to make all the Sci Fi they put out smell worse than most of Uncle Ronnie's discarded disposable undergarments. But shlock is good. And if it's a horrible movie, we can all rest assured that in some 20 years, MST3K will recycle it and make it more laughable than your friendly neighborhood skull. I suppose that about sums up what I know and think about the whole thing, but how often are my suppositions ever correct? I don't know, but I'm sure I'll post more regarding anything as the info becomes available, so that once again we might hear the wonderful chime of the voices of those who hate all things off topic, yet don't feel that it's off topic to post about people posting off topic anyway. On a final note, I saw Payback just last night... And it made me wish that Rushmore was in town... :P Or better yet, TMBG... But such is not to be, for I live in the city that never stops watching She's All That ^_^ bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Enough of this gay banter! Get on with it!" Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html See why the John's are 'As gay as Dan Fielding' (in the word's of my predecessor). Recently added: America's Deadliest Elvis Sighthings! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:05:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG Message-ID: <19990212.170542.10006.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae >>I first heard TMBG on Tiny Toons... i thought the most interesting part about the whole Tiny Toons thing was that Linnell and Flans were portrayed as a duck and a pig (in that order, for those of ya'll who haven't seen it). and the fact that Buster Bunny happily chirruped, "And now, another video from They Might Be Giants! ...who are these guys?" that's great. :-) >>Oh, and the *bestest* version of "(She was)a Hotel Detective" is the 1994 version. The rest are negligible. no, *I* am the bestest version of Hotel Detective. ever-sincere, eriKa, who is the best Hotel Detective ever because her quotes help people without even her realization - and she didn't even have to get some "information" from that Dumbwaiter Monkey! and now, one of my favorite John Linnell quotes ever! "I wish I liked slurpees." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 05:52:37 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG Message-ID: <19990123.055239.2726.0.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: Renquist L Hedgeloff << no, *I* am the bestest version of Hotel Detective.>> yes, i can vouch for that. i've been forgetting my secrets ever since i met her. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990212225904.10090.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference in Entertainment Weekly Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:59:04 PST Amy Kelspots wrote: >In the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, we find out that >Michelle >Pfeiffer has a son named John Henry. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! Probably not a coincidence, but not a TMBG reference either. John Henry was the railroad worker who beat the steam drill. I think I've known about him since I was a little baby, sittin' on my mammy's knee. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan, who was never a steel-drivin' man DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <429991d0.36c4b2f3@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:02:11 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference in Entertainment Weekly In a message dated 2/12/99 6:01:17 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >Probably not a coincidence, but not a TMBG reference either. John Henry > >was the railroad worker who beat the steam drill. I think I've known >about him since I was a little baby, sittin' on my mammy's knee. (i think she was joking ;)) .. at least, i *hope* she was ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: <6fd513e.36c4bb93@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:38:59 EST Subject: TMBG: a little more about those yummy opening bands tmbg have had a lot of my fave bands open for them, despite flans' occasionally dubious taste in music... i'd have to say my fave is deffinitely a tie between Candy Butchers (who, for anyone keepin track, now perform as a 7 piece and should have an album out by june) and Brian Dewan (who still performs all alone and should have a new album coming out... someday) with skeleton key and magnetic fields (who sound a bit like belle and sebastian) coming up a *very* close second. Fave monopuff opening band is Pinataland who im gonna go see tonite if im not too lazy... theyve got a tuba. worst honors go to the infamous goat boy. wish i'd seen 'em with soul coughing or frank black, ah well... But ANYway, what i was gonna say is that it occured to me that tmbg's opening bands tend to play this place called The Knitting Factory a lot. The Knit brodcasts all their shows (except when its a superrockstar like lou reed or david byrne) live at www.knittingfactory.com. I'm certainly *not* plugging this cuz i work there. I know lincoln, candy butchers, skeleton key, magnetic fields, soul coughing, brian dewan, pere ubu and probably some more have all played their and i've heard the audio is really good. Nothing great scheduled currently except if this one guy cancels they're gonna try to get Candy Butchers on the 26th. also, check out my lofi lameass web site for news about whats up with a lot of tmbg related bands... http://members.aol.com/goodomenz/dates.html im 18, born june 20th and i got "into" tmbg summer of '94 after getting a hell of a lot of reccomendations for john henery (i got apolo 18 instead tho cuz i liked the cover and what the hell good are recomendations anyway?) And oh, im probably gonna be at philly with lisa so... if you know me come say hi, if you dont your not really missing much. im tryin' to win blondie tix on the radio right now (the only way to get them) and its making me verrrrry grumpy and bored. im putting together a mental list of worst song lyrics of the 90's. currently at the top is ms jewels- "my hands are small i know, but they're not yours they are my own." (?) ~liz "well, he's tall, dark and handsome like maralyn manson yeah he's always in command... cuz he's a high class swinger, sexy superstar singer in your next new favorite band" -kitty in the tree ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902130005.TAA101684@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:05:37 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Re: How you got into TMBG I probably have one of the more unusual "origin" stories. Despite the fact that I watched a lot of Tiny Toons back in the day, I never saw the episode with the videos until I got the video bootlegs. Anyway, I've always been a regular watcher of Conan (not the Barbarian, mind you) and one day I happened to catch this weird band singing a song about the sun on Late Night. I didn't think much of it, but the name They Might Be Giants was subconsciously put away into one of the vaults of my brain. Anyway, I was a member of BMG and on several occassions they would have a special where if you ordered 2 tapes you got one for free. I wanted exactly two tapes in the catalog and as I was surveying the rest of the catalog, I saw John Henry was available. I figured what the heck, it's free. When I got my tapes I waited about a week before i even put my TMBG tape in the stereo. I listened through it once, but nothing struck a chord. Somehow, the tape ended up in my mom's van and as I was waiting for her in the van one day I saw it, popped into the radio to pass some time, and suddenly loved every single song. 4 years later, here I am. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005201be5700$f2ed3140$aee4fbd0@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:58:43 -0500 I mean really... Can you make The Guide bad? Not even the BBC could accomplish that, and I swear on my own grave (digging it right now) that the BBC really tried back in those... I dunno...their realization of Zaphod makes me cringe every time I watch it... Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-13 ******************************