Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 14 Sunday, 14 February 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG TMBG: Truth or Sandwiches? TMBG: Dinner Bell & Music Tabs Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie TMBG: mac mp3 player Re: TMBG: Dinner Bell & Music Tabs TMBG: How I got into tmbg Re: TMBG: How I got into tmbg Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie NON-TMBG: THHGTTG movie Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990213150139.9123.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 07:01:39 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie ---Bob Scott wrote: > It's true. But the one solace we can all have is that Jim Carrey will not be > cast as Arthur Dent. Douglas Adams has specifically said so, because Dent is > British, and Carrey is more than likely Canadian (Just Kidding, I love > Canada). So is DNA going to have control over the casting? > Just remember: Disney has lots of money to throw around, and not every movie > by Disney is like My Favorite Martian in nature. Brian Singer (Usual > Suspects, Apt Pupil) will be directing(?), so I think it's more likely to be > good than bad. I mean really... Can you make The Guide bad? Not even the BBC > could accomplish that, and I swear on my own grave (digging it right now) Well they can make it very over marketed. I don't think I could stand seeing THHGTTG turned into a new "Hip-N-Cool" movie. Over the past year or two I've seen a lot of my little islands of supreme geekines turned into mainstreme pop culture (BNL being the best example). Don't get me wrong, I would love the movie to do well, but I don't want to get a comment about the movie ever time I mention HHGTTG. Do we know if it is comming out under the Disney or Touchstone? I just have a bad feeling about it being toned down to make it a kids movie. == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002201be5765$5125d5a0$b9b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:26:52 -0000 >---Bob Scott wrote: > >> It's true. But the one solace we can all have is that Jim Carrey >will not be >> cast as Arthur Dent. Douglas Adams has specifically said so, because >Dent is >> British, and Carrey is more than likely Canadian (Just Kidding, I love >> Canada). *sighs with relief* I've nothing against America or Canada for that matter because some really great stuff has come out of those fine, dandy places but I really would like HHG to be kept as it was intended. It's nice to know Doug Adams isn't selling himself out on that one. He has artistic integrity it seems. I was somewhat sceptical though. I grew up on the BBC radio show of HHG and then read the books (which I should do again sometime when I'm done with my Red Dwarf recital) and then saw the BBC TV adaptation which although low budget and a bit naff, is quite good considering what they had to do to get Doug's ideas into a visual thing. I mean, Zaphod's two heads was a bit of a task in them days. I was young and didn't much notice the cheap effects but these days it doesn't do well in comparison to modern-day stuff. I think it'll be nice for a modern day spin on the book(s). Does anyone know if the entire story is going to be in the new movie or just the first book? I got a really pleasant suprise when I used Altavista's translation thing to sort out some French research on Louis Pasteur the other day and part of the URL was "Babel fish", nice touch by Alta there. I was tre impressed. -- Uncle "pass me a pan-galactic gargleblaster, please" Squid: Zaphod Beeblebrox's 34th cousin (8 times removed). ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:37:33 -0500 From: TDK Message-ID: <36C5AA4B.80F81FE@cybercomm.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie If this is true the film must be slated for release in the year 2000, because Bryan Singer's '99 project is The X-Men. -Mike Bob Scott wrote: > Brian Singer (Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil) will be directing(?), so I think > it's ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:43:52 -0500 From: TDK Message-ID: <36C5ABC7.F46E76C4@cybercomm.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: How you got into TMBG The first time I ever heard/saw TMBG was in 1989, while I was watching 'Dr. Demento's Top Twenty Demented Video Countdown', a show they used to do every year on MTV. Don't Lets Start was in there somewhere. (I believe 'Fishheads' by Barnes & Barnes was #1) I remember loving it. They following year Ana Ng was on the same countdown. I aquired a really bad dub of Lincoln on cassette; it sounded bad and only played on the left side.. I played it nonstop anyway. Not long after that I went out and bought Lincoln & Flood on CD. -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:49:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Truth or Sandwiches? Message-ID: <19990213.144915.3398.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae i blast of inspiration came to me from the cover of the Pink Album... (forgive me, i'm bored. have some fun with it) and now, everyone's favorite game... -^v^{TRUTH OR SANDWICHES}^v^- see how much you know! (answers at bottom) 1. It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. 2. Ham and cheese with mayo on rye, hold the pickles. 3. The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated. 4. Cheeseburger with the works on a sourdough bun. 5. Yer mom. ANSWERS! (see how you did!) 1. Truth 2. Sandwich 3. Truth 4. Sandwich 5. Neither! Trick Question there. Sorry Kiddies. ever-sincere, eriKa, who's ten times cooler than Wink Martindale "Oh, I wish that life was like a game show, I could use my smarts and my intelligence. I know my folks would be so proud of me if I won them a year's supply of Cap'n Crunch." - Suburban Rhythm ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:48:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Dinner Bell & Music Tabs Message-ID: <19990213.144915.3398.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae i was listening to Apollo 18 today, and when Dinner Bell came on, a thought came across my path (amazing as it seems, i do occasionally get those thoughts that poke their way through all the junk rattling around in my head). to me, it seems Dinner Bell is, perhaps, about Pavlov's Dog, what with all the talk of food related with bells and the whole "experimental dog" undertones. thoughts, anyone? i mean, it could be, and you all know it, but it's occurring to me late, so don't make fun of me... i'll cry also, i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find some TMBG music tabs? i know there's most likely scads of tabs for guitar or keyboard or whatnot, but i'm looking for music to some of the horn arrangements - i would kill to find some to No One Knows My Plan or Whirlpool... ever-sincere, eriKa, who, although the engagements are booked through the end of the world, could probably fit you in next Tuesday, about 4ish. have your people call her people, she'll get back to you later. and now, things that Are and Are Not Hardcore: Hardcore: Al Roker Not Hardcore: Katie Couric Definitely Not Hardcore: Matt "I Play With Dolls" Lauer ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:00:35 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36C5D9E2.578C4BD6@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie TDK wrote: > If this is true the film must be slated for release in the year 2000, because > Bryan Singer's '99 project is The X-Men. I might have read too much into the magazine from which I got all the info in the previous message. Perhaps I just put Singer's name with The Guide just because I panicked (DON'T!) when I saw that Disney was the company handling it... But I'm pretty sure the current release time is like summer of 2000 or 2001, so we've got plenty of time to stew over any really bad casting. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "I'll have butter with my Kaiser Sosey..." Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990213200609.8980.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Miss Karen" Subject: TMBG: mac mp3 player Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:06:09 PST I have MacAmp Chroma that I can send as an attachment to anyone who wants it. The file is 385k. Please email me privately. Karen ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: Dinner Bell & Music Tabs Message-ID: Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:26:57 -0500 of course the song, or at least that part of the chorus or whatever, is about pavlov's dogs. i'm pretty sure that's in the FAQ or the song interps on tmbg.org. also there are chords for dinner bell. beware though, the song changes keys about every two measures. nothing too difficult, but you'll have to train your hands to move from a G chord to a Bb and other odd transitions. also, a little FYI. pavlov was not even interested in conditioning the dogs. he was more of a biologist than a psychologist. he rang a bell, showed the dogs some meat, and before feeding them, measured the amount of saliva in their mouths (this was of more concern to him than the psychological outcomes of the experiment). thus the line, "salivating dog." the ideas of classical conditioning were stumbled upon when he found that dogs who heard the bell but did not see or smell the meat began to salivate. that's enough school for a saturday. j * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990214033237.12898.rocketmail@send203.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:32:37 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: How I got into tmbg My cousins introduced me to tmbg when i was like 9 or something it was right after John Henry Came out and they played some tracks for me and i've been listening to them since _C~h~r~i~s _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Crazysword@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:06:50 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: How I got into tmbg Greetings everyone, this is my first post so I thought I'd say hi. I remember clearly how I was introduced to TMBG. About 5 years ago, our 8th grade class drove down to DC and my friend had particle man, istanbul not constantinople on a tape and we spent about 3 hours listening to those two songs. Well, by the time we got to DC, it was amazing because we had the whole bus singing particle man. Imagine a bus load of 8th graders singing particle man...our teachers weren't in the greatest mental state after that trip. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:12:33 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Message-ID: <19990213.231420.-134039.1.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Considering that Hitchhiker's is a GIGANTIC cult classic, it would be absurd for disney/touchstone to make it hip and popular, I think they'd also have sense enough to realize that. #2 DNA is writing the script, as long as that is hapening, no way will it be toned down, or stray from DNA's brilliant mind. #3 If this Usual suspects director is in fact directing the film, and considering Hitchhiker's British humour, and satire, it will not make much of a little kids movie, older kids perhaps. Tho' this doesn't mean Disney can't cash in on Zaphod's two heads, think about the great action figures. Actually, it's always been a deep wish of mine to get a Zaphod Beeblebrox, Ford Prefect, Marvin TPA, and Arthur Dent action figure. I'm a huge figure collector and lover, and it might happen, ooh I can't wait. And I realise that I'm being very overly optomistic, but that's okay. Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:11:49 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: THHGTTG movie Message-ID: <19990213.231420.-134039.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:26:52 -0000 "Uncle Squid" writes: >>---Bob Scott wrote: >> >>> It's true. But the one solace we can all have is that Jim Carrey >>will not be >>> cast as Arthur Dent. Douglas Adams has specifically said so, >because >>Dent is >>> British, and Carrey is more than likely Canadian (Just Kidding, I >love >>> Canada). I personally never thought of Jim Carrey as being Arthur, but rather a better Zaphod. Zaphod wouldn't have to sound British cause he's an alien. > >*sighs with relief* > >I've nothing against America or Canada for that matter because some >really >great stuff has come out of those fine, dandy places but I really >would like >HHG to be kept as it was intended. It's nice to know Doug Adams isn't >selling himself out on that one. He has artistic integrity it seems. I >was >somewhat sceptical though. I grew up on the BBC radio show of HHG and >then >read the books (which I should do again sometime when I'm done with my >Red >Dwarf recital) and then saw the BBC TV adaptation which although low >budget >and a bit naff, is quite good considering what they had to do to get >Doug's >ideas into a visual thing. I mean, Zaphod's two heads was a bit of a >task in >them days. I was young and didn't much notice the cheap effects but >these >days it doesn't do well in comparison to modern-day stuff. I think >it'll be >nice for a modern day spin on the book(s). Does anyone know if the >entire >story is going to be in the new movie or just the first book? In my personal fantasy, I think it would be great if they madfe a movie out of each book, or is that asking too much? Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >I got a really pleasant suprise when I used Altavista's translation >thing to >sort out some French research on Louis Pasteur the other day and part >of the >URL was "Babel fish", nice touch by Alta there. I was tre impressed. > >-- Uncle "pass me a pan-galactic gargleblaster, please" Squid: Zaphod >Beeblebrox's 34th cousin (8 times removed). > > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990214062102.13193.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: NON-TMBG: THHGTTG movie Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:21:02 PST Claire V Gray wrote: >I personally never thought of Jim Carrey as being Arthur, but rather >a >better Zaphod. Zaphod wouldn't have to sound British cause he's an >alien. They just have to find an actor with two heads and a good Betelgeusian accent. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-14 ******************************