Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 18 Thursday, 18 February 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! TMBG: Re: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! TMBG: XTC album/book signing (OT) Re: TMBG: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K RE: TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K TMBG: Why is Ric Flair beating Flans Re: TMBG: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! NON-TMBG: XTC, CMJ New Music... Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K TMBG: non-tmbg: my stupid shoes. Re: TMBG: another reason that mtv sucks TMBG: video TMBG: Re: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! Re: TMBG: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K TMBG: Major Album News TMBG: They Might Be Giants, Letters To Cleo Members Team With Gravel TMBG: Re:TMBG and Non TMBG-WDTSS,120 Minutes, and MST3K Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG and Non TMBG-WDTSS,120 Minutes, and MST3K Re: Non_TMBG: HHGTTG TMBG: When is Direct from Brooklyn coming out Re: TMBG: When is Direct from Brooklyn coming out Re: TMBG: video Re: TMBG: When is Direct from Brooklyn coming out Re: TMBG: When is Direct from Brooklyn coming out Re: TMBG: Major Album News Re: TMBG: Major Album News TMBG: Re: Major Album News Re: TMBG: Major Album News Re: TMBG: Major Album News Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <36CAAF55.75B2D67A@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 05:00:29 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! At 12:01 PM 2/16/99 -0500, TDK wrote: >It looks like I'm going to get to interview one or both of the Johns, >hopefully before the 3/4/99 Philly show. Ask them who they think should play Slartibartfast in the Hitchhiker's movie. But seriously, ask them why my Drinky Crow shot glasses arrived broken. But seriously (this time for real) my advice is NOT to concentrate on questions like what label are they going to sign with or when the next album will be out or its title because they'll probably want to announce that kind of stuff in a bigger interview. Or they'll just restate what we already know and therefore it will be a wasted question. Instead, I would ask them lesser questions. Things like, What bands do they like these days? How did the get hooked up with Double Dong? (careful how you phrase that.) Ask Flans how he feels about being in league with Hitler and Christ in the Time Poll. I have a feeling (from listening to other TMBG interviews) that they'll shy away from answering questions about meanings of their lyrics. However, I think they would gladly answer WHAT specific lyrics are. Which brings me to a question that's been buggin' the hell outta me: In "House of Mayors" there's a couple words that are so unintelligible that tmbg.org's lyric section has them blanked out: "Similarity lurks under styles of moustache/These anemic, loyal, ___________" To me it sound like: "will lend his attack" but that makes no sense. Maybe you could mention the "harbor a penguin/deathwish" debate too. Needless to say, I would'nt ask them personal questions (things about their wives, family, etc.) This may sound stupid but it would be cool if you could ask them if they have anything they'd like to say to the newsgroup and list. (Hopefully, they won't reply with "get a life!") Well there's lots of possibilities. Good luck. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <40642c7b.36cabc5d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 07:55:57 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! Thank you, B O N G O, for forwarding those questions to everybody, though the email specifically requested to forward questions to his web page. Now to get back to more important things... like birthdays and converse... ~Batbrain ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: XTC album/book signing (OT) Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:44:07 -0600 From: steve Message-Id: <19990217144406.RKBV5581.mail.rdc1.tx.home.com@[24.4.30.214]> The new XTC album, Apple Venus Volume 1, comes out next Tuesday, the 23rd of February. Andy, with Colin at a couple of stops, will be doing signings at several Borders Books stores. The stops are in New York, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, San Franciso, and Los Angeles. Dates and times are listed on the TVT website at: - Steve ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902171750.MAA35108@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:51:31 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! >are you a fool? i was thinking about going to that show from denver. >and no, it's not my birthday. >damn you east coasters... don't even freekin know what "quite a drive" >is. Wow that was kind of harsh, don't you think? If I hadn't seen them 5 times in '98 it would be a no-brainer, but considering I'd be making the trip solo as I have no friends willing to skip classes to attend a concert 350 miles away :( ...I'll think about it... --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:03:02 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K Message-ID: <19990217.130311.-245889.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray remember how I said I got a whole bunch of old MST3K episodes on tape for X-mas. Well I was watching The Giant Gila Monster, and one character asks "You suppose there's a giant Gilla Monster in these woods?" and Joel Robinson shouts out "Well... There Might Be Giants" in a gruff voice. Well, what do you think sirs? Mysterio Gal (who replayed it twice, just to make sure) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <93C01F5B27C4D111976B0060970764E80B5571@ALPHA1000> From: "Webber, Eric" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:26:01 -0500 They could have been referring to the movie also, but probably not. By the way, The Giant Gilla Monster is my favorite episode. Love that "Leg Up" montage! "He called me _son_! No wonder Mom cries whenever I mention the Sheriff!" Later, -Wubba > -----Original Message----- > From: Claire V Gray [mailto:gray42@juno.com] > Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 1:03 PM > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K > > > remember how I said I got a whole bunch of old MST3K episodes > on tape for > X-mas. Well I was watching The Giant Gila Monster, and one character > asks "You suppose there's a giant Gilla Monster in these > woods?" and Joel > Robinson shouts out "Well... There Might Be Giants" in a gruff voice. > Well, what do you think sirs? > > Mysterio Gal (who replayed it twice, just to make sure) > "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" > --Das Hooded Rat > MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 > gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com > http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project > Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at > http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html > or call Juno at (800) > 654-JUNO [654-5866] > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990217183357.6309.rocketmail@send201.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:33:57 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Why is Ric Flair beating Flans You know there is some thing wrong with the world when A proffesional wrestler is beating The Flans for person of the century. So please particapate in the upcoming 24 hour vote for flansburgh athon. E-mail me for more information. Flansburgh. No Mankind needs us. Thank you. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:43:04 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! Message-ID: <19990217.134305.6734.1.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. will Reel Big Fish be accompanying TMBG on other tour dates? i seem to recall hearing Fish say on MTV once that they wanted to tour with the Johns. seeing as how they're playing together in Philly, i was wondering if the Johns took them up on the offer. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Random Simpsons Quote "Tis no man. Tis a remoteless eating machine, arrh!" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:56:30 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: XTC, CMJ New Music... Message-ID: On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, steve wrote: > The new XTC album, Apple Venus Volume 1, comes out next Tuesday, the 23rd > of February. and you can get a preview of this by buying the march issue of CMJ New Music (the one with a picture of kurt cobain on the cover). it contains a sampler cd with, among other things, xtc's song "i'd like that". lots of other good stuff on the cd too: new stuff from sebadoh, damnations tx, glen scott, dubtribe sound system, built to spill, big rude jake, etc.... i just subscribed to the magazine yesterday -- i figure it's a much less expensive way for me to get my constant craving for new music... they also (in this issue) make reference to TMBG as being one of a growing number of groups who have realized the benefits of selling the same number of albums on an independent label... also something that tony "bony" maimone's doing. which i've forgotten. --jim kuemmerle, who'd grow up really high, like a really high thing, say a sunflower... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:59:45 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36CB11A1.C39517ED@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K Claire V Gray wrote: > remember how I said I got a whole bunch of old MST3K episodes on tape for > X-mas. Well I was watching The Giant Gila Monster, and one character > asks "You suppose there's a giant Gilla Monster in these woods?" and Joel > Robinson shouts out "Well... There Might Be Giants" in a gruff voice. > Well, what do you think sirs? Well, of course, that's one of the episodes I don't have taped, but knowing the Best Brains and their unlimited source of both common and uncommon knowledge/references, it's highly likely that they were referring to the band. Of course, we can't be sure, because Joel always was a self-proclaimed George C. Scott fan :). And there was that time with Crows superb portral of Don Quixote (Well, not really, but I can't get that scene of Crow and Tom singing to Gypsy in the Gypsy Moons episode :). bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Poopy! It is so good to see you! c/o Bannergrams across America" Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36CB15A0.52F5C4ED@cnr.edu> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:16:48 -0500 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: my stupid shoes. I just got my first pair of Converse All Stars on Saturday, and I was wondering if any person out there with chucks can tell me the best way to break them in quickly....they are hurting my feet and it's ticking me off. You can respond off list if you like....I don't wanna start the great off topic wars or anything..... sarah faye -- "He used to be your victim now you're not the only one...." --Elvis Costello, "Accidents Will Happen" http://lindramine.cjb.net -- The Princess's Castle ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:01:24 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: another reason that mtv sucks Message-ID: <19990217.143904.-245889.1.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:24:25 -0600 Jason Arnold writes: >Dude it's dude not dood I dunno, I kinda like dood, it's kewl like skool Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <49bffd72.36cb1f21@aol.com> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:57:21 EST Subject: TMBG: video has anyone that ordered the new music video collection from tmb productions recieved it yet? Directly email me if you have/have not. Matt Kay--Blame it on Pez addiction DrWormX@tmbg.org "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointment." ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:03:18 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! Message-ID: <19990217.140321.14990.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Needless to say, I would'nt ask them personal questions (things >about their wives, >family, etc.) i was actually thinking that TDK could get away with asking questions about robyn... and possibly more specifically about SPondee, her hello band... and what the hell is up with it. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:07:09 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: I interview TMBG, you choose the questions! Message-ID: <19990217.141926.14990.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >will Reel Big Fish be accompanying TMBG on other tour dates? >i seem to recall hearing Fish say on MTV once that they wanted to >tour with the Johns. seeing as how they're playing together in >Philly, >i was wondering if the Johns took them up on the offer. If there's a RBF-TMBG tour and they don't come out west... i'm gonna have some major issues. Anyways, RBF are an amazing band to see live... very entertaining :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <17FEB99.21406443.0010.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:49:14 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG reference on MST3K >remember how I said I got a whole bunch of old MST3K episodes on tape for >X-mas. Well I was watching The Giant Gila Monster, and one character >asks "You suppose there's a giant Gilla Monster in these woods?" and Joel >Robinson shouts out "Well... There Might Be Giants" in a gruff voice. >Well, what do you think sirs? > Sorry, I'm as big a TMBG fan as the next guy, but I really think this is a reference to the movie. Remember George C. Scott does have a pretty gruff voice, and that's an exact line from the movie, where Joanne Woodward tells Scott that windmills aren't giants, and Scott replies, "Well....They Might Be Giants." That's where the title of the film, and therefore the title of the band, comes from. Nice try, but.....I'd say it's a reference to the movie. BTW, I was just wondering, how many people on this list have seen the movie? Misty ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990217205519.007e77a0@pop.fast.net> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:55:19 -0500 From: Jesse Richman Subject: TMBG: Major Album News well I'm on the digest so odds are this has already made the list, but just in case it hasnt... According to Sonicnet Giants To Issue MP3-Only LP Quirky popsters They Might Be Giants will release an album exclusively in the downloadable MP3 format this spring, according to Steve Grady, spokesperson for the GoodNoise Internet label issuing the collection. The set will include several songs from the duo's long-running telephone service "Dial-A-Song," as well as other unreleased work. "Their user base is fairly rabid and Internet-savvy," Grady said. "So, this is a great opportunity to get music out to them." GoodNoise also will issue four previously released TMBG albums in MP3 form. [Wed., Feb 17, 1999 8:15 PM EST] ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Jesse Richman Fear is strangely comfortable hrichman@fast.net +Live+ jesseboy@brandeis.edu And although we were very thirsty Xopchipili@aol.com I questioned the oasis +Live+ Each new BELIEF is a LIMITED SET to be TRANSCENDED The Shamen ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990217211316.0093d100@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:17:04 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, Letters To Cleo Members Team With Gravel From Allstarmag: When Boston rockers the Gravel Pit wanted to add a new twist to their sound for their forthcoming album Silver Gorilla (out March 2 on Boston- based indie Q Division), they called upon a few old friends, including Letters to Cleo singer Kay Hanley, Jen Trynin, and They Might Be Giants' singer/accordion player/saxophonist/keyboardist John Linnell. The album is produced by Mike Denneen, who most recently produced the Gigolo Aunts and mixed the forthcoming Fountains of Wayne record. "They typically don't indulge, but Jed [Parish, the band's singer/ songwriter] wanted to do some different stuff," says Hanley of how the collaboration came about with her and Trynin. "He wanted some background vocals different than his own, and we're his two closest girl rocker friends." "They [Letters to Cleo] were instrumental in us moving to Boston five years ago from New Haven," adds Parish. "We've known Kay for years. In fact, Ed [Valauskas] played with them for awhile before they got their current bassist [Scott Riebling]." Parish also appears on Letters to Cleo's last two albums, and is the subject of the Cleo song "Acid Jed." It was a similar situation that allowed them to recruit Trynin. Hanley and Trynin appear on three tracks, calling themselves the Aqua Vulvas. The singer/ songwriter has been a longtime supporter, and Valauskas handled bass duties on her most recent effort (1997's Gun Shy Trigger Happy) as well. Linnell -- who plays baritone saxophone on the album- ending "Get Tangled!" -- struck up a friendship with the band after the Gravel Pit opened for They Might Be Giants on their spring '97 tour. "I heard horns in this song, so I brought him in," says Parish. Among the other guests on Silver Gorilla is Jamie Arentzen, now in former Cleo/Veruca Salt drummer Stacy Jones' band BMX Girl, who recently signed with Outpost. The Gravel Pit hit the road the day after the album release for a cross-country tour, passing through South by Southwest in Austin, Texas on March 18. For the confirmed tour dates go to www.qdivision.com. -- Mike Magnuson -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36CB8072.D9584521@thebigdogs.net> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:52:34 -0600 From: Laura Helbling Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG and Non TMBG-WDTSS,120 Minutes, and MST3K > Mike K wrote > > <<1. Old TMBG singles are rare. Of course, this is true for pretty much > any single that was released so long ago. "WDTSS?" in particular is > surprisingly easy to find for a single that was released five years > ago.>> > > WDTSS is easy to find because the happy guy is a hottie! > > mike k > > ____________ 1.I'm a "budding" TMBG person but I have WDTSS. I found it at a Best Buy in St. Louis for about $6. Actually, all they had was about 20 Floods and 1 WDTSS. And yes, the happy guy is a hottie. 2.What is this "120 Minutes" thing? Is( or are) TMBG really on tv sometimes? 3. While I have never read HHGTTG, I do love MST3K. They are awesome, man. Almost as awesome as TMBG. Laura(who has reecently joined and never written before, hi)" ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <2c5173b9.36cb840f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:07:59 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG and Non TMBG-WDTSS,120 Minutes, and MST3K welcome laura! In a message dated 2/17/99 10:00:11 PM, laurah@thebigdogs.net writes: > 2.What is this "120 Minutes" thing? Is( or are) TMBG really on tv sometimes? well, they USED to be. they've even hosted 120M a few times. it's a show on mtv (bleh) sunday nights/early monday morning at midnight... or that's when it's scheduled to be on. but as of lately, they've been pre-empting it for crappy marathons of such shows as road rules, or loveline, or real world, or ...you name it... but it is the only show on mtv since 'alternative nation'? that plays .. err.. alternative videos, such as, tmbg, or sonic youth. stuff you're not likely to see on 'total request', anyway. ;) > 3. While I have never read HHGTTG, I do love MST3K. They are awesome, >man. Almost as >awesome as TMBG. MST3K is VERY awesome. =) sarah ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:16:48 EST Subject: Re: Non_TMBG: HHGTTG dilbert_2000@hotmail.com writes: > The guy that knock's down Arther's house: John Cleese *rolling on the floor laughing* That would be perfect (perhaps I should say Prefect?)! But all I can picture is the Gumby Brain Surgeon saying, "I will knoooock down yer house now!" -Samantha ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990218051351.26948.rocketmail@send203.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:13:51 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: When is Direct from Brooklyn coming out i sent out my order in like November and it says it was coming out early '99 but when is that _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:21:50 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: When is Direct from Brooklyn coming out In a message dated 2/18/99 12:13:20 AM, ghost_krabb@yahoo.com writes: >i sent out my order in like November and it says it was coming out >early '99 but when is that in the world of tmbg-land, approxamately... march 25th, 2000. sarah okay, i lied. june 16, 2003. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <18FEB99.00528462.0055.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:29:21 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: video >has anyone that ordered the new music video collection from tmb productions >recieved it yet? Directly email me if you have/have not. > I just checked the on-line catalog, and I can't find any listing of the video. Has anyone even ordered it, and, if so, how? Misty ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <88286878.36cba82b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:42:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: When is Direct from Brooklyn coming out It's (hopefully) coming out in April, so I guess that still qualifies for early 1999... Kay ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199902180602.BAA29167@pop.snet.net> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:55:08 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: When is Direct from Brooklyn coming out > >i sent out my order in like November and it says it was coming out > >early '99 but when is that > > > in the world of tmbg-land, approxamately... march 25th, 2000. excellent. the day after my birthday... it's all falling into place... the greasy spoons should be ready for world domina- er, an innocent game of Risk by then... > okay, i lied. june 16, 2003. d'oh. damn liar : ) jen- the one who wonders if mimes should be able to have sex... jen- the ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902180632.BAA65214@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:33:41 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News At 08:55 PM 2/17/99 -0500, Jesse Richman wrote: > Quirky popsters They Might Be Giants will > release an album exclusively in the > downloadable MP3 format this spring, > according to Steve Grady, spokesperson for > the GoodNoise Internet label issuing the > collection. Wow, you know, I was just sitting in Political Science the other day coming up with a potential track list of an album consisting of unreleased TMBG songs. I wonder what will make the cut. Personally, I hope they save CPICN for a regular album. (I know I've probably ranted on that topic too much in the past already though) --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <18FEB99.01787961.0018.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:39:19 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News > Quirky popsters They Might Be Giants will > release an album exclusively in the > downloadable MP3 format this spring, > according to Steve Grady, spokesperson for > the GoodNoise Internet label issuing the > collection. The set will include several songs > from the duo's long-running telephone service > "Dial-A-Song," as well as other unreleased > work. "Their user base is fairly rabid and > Internet-savvy," Grady said. "So, this is a great > opportunity to get music out to them." While I guess this is a good idea, if the album contains DAS's that weren't on Then: The Earlier Years, then I really wish TMBG would put it out on CD. Not everyone has access to MP3s. Sure, I can listen to them here at college on my roommate's computer, but what if I'm home, in the middle of the summer, and I want to listen to it? I know, I know, I guess I'm screwed. Misty ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:46:21 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7agckv$5hm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Major Album News Jesse Richman wrote in message <3.0.3.32.19990217205519.007e77a0@pop.fast.net>... >well I'm on the digest so odds are this has already made the list, but just >in case it hasnt... >According to Sonicnet: > >Giants To Issue MP3-Only LP (rest of article clipped) I just checked the website for GoodNoise, their the ones who released the new Frank Black and the Cathlics album in MP3 format over the web. Appearently, it's actually gonna be in mp3 format, with no encryption or anything. You have to pay to download from the site, either $0.99 per song or $8.99 for the album. The question is gonna be what's on it? Are people gonna pay to download mp3's of dial-a-songs they already have? Well, I'll pay, but I've already seen the Frank Black Mp3s on other sites for free. Of course, regular albums aren't free from the grasp of mp3s, so making them availalbe as it already seems like a sort of honor system for the fans. Hopefully, this isn't gonna count as their studio album they planned for this year, but more like a Misc. T to tide us over. I wonder which earlier albums will be available: I'm assuming S/T, Licoln, Misc. T, and Then, as They own the rights to those I think. They don't own the rights to any Electra material yet, do they? -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:53:53 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7agd34$5ti$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News >> Quirky popsters They Might Be Giants will >> release an album exclusively in the >> downloadable MP3 format this spring, >While I guess this is a good idea, if the album contains DAS's that >weren't on Then: The Earlier Years, then I really wish TMBG would put >it out on CD. Not everyone has access to MP3s. Sure, I can listen to >them here at college on my roommate's computer, but what if I'm home, >in the middle of the summer, and I want to listen to it? I know, I >know, I guess I'm screwed. > >Misty Well, you could get a friend or someone on this list who have a CD-R to burn a copy for you, I'm sure there's someone nice enough on this list. And I'm sure they could get some label to put it out eventually . -Jay ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <581e548e.36cbb833@aol.com> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:50:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News << >> Quirky popsters They Might Be Giants will >> release an album exclusively in the >> downloadable MP3 format this spring, >While I guess this is a good idea, if the album contains DAS's that >weren't on Then: The Earlier Years, then I really wish TMBG would put >it out on CD. Not everyone has access to MP3s. >> I thought that MP3s once on CD could be played on any CD player. That's what they're doing isn't it? Putting out the album on CD, but the files are actually MP3 files?? That's the impression I get here, but I suppose I could be way off. jennifer ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-18 ******************************