Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 20 Saturday, 20 February 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: TMBG on "Tiny Toons" NON-TMBG: Movies...crappy ones. Re: Non_TMBG: HHGTTG Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more TMBG: Orangutans versus MP3s TMBG: Singles Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG on TMBG: An idea... Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: An idea... Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Major Album News Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Major Album News, Adam's comments... Re: TMBG: Major Album News Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more TMBG: the job of musicianhood... Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Major Album News Re: TMBG: Major Album News Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more TMBG: they might be kiddie songs, the Johns and other such scenarios Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more TMBG: Online Concert TMBG: Hmm. Questions for the Johns TMBG: What's the childrens album Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more TMBG: please tell me whats going on Re: TMBG: Hmm. Questions for the Johns TMBG: It's Fun to Steal TMBG mp3's Re: TMBG: label questions and other stuff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:13:43 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG on "Tiny Toons" Message-ID: <19990219.020920.2870.2.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein >-Since you all seem to so interested in references, I thought you might like to >know this one. There's a kid's show on Nickelodeon called "Tiny Toon >Adventures" that I used to watch. It was like Looney Toons, only all the >characters were kid versions. Anyway, on one episode,they did some fake >music videos featuring the cartoon characters. One song was Aretha Franklin's >"R-E-S-P-E-C-T" and two other ones were... Istanbul and Particle Man! I, being >a young person at the time, just assumed that these were popular songs that >everyone but me knew. Little did I know.... Yes, we've know about this for quite some time now. ::points to FAQ:: It's in there, right? Anyway, if you're looking for copy of these videos, our resident video bootleg guy can hook you up. His e-mail address is russj@juno.com. I think it's on the first video bootleg. Ask him, he'll help you out. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001801be5bd9$ba8d3600$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: NON-TMBG: Movies...crappy ones. Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 00:30:10 -0700 I just made the biggest mistake of my whole life. I saw "John Carpenter's Vampires." That movie sucked serious goats...so I just felt obligated to tell you all. Or maybe I'm trying to warn you. Anyway, since there are people out there who would crucify me for not doing at least /some/ on topic stuff, I'd like to voice my opinion on the MP3 album.. I, for one, will be glad to pay for such an album. I know there will be a lot of you who will feel the need to simply get them copied...and I know that for some of you that's a necessity. For those of you for whom it isn't, though, please support the John's by giving them buckoo bucks. Money is good, after all. Helps by lots of things. There. TMBG content. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico My Shoutcast channel is at 129.138.34.90:7050. No guarantee it'll be up all the time, but at least it's a start, no? Oh yeah. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550 The first Julie Plug tribute page in history!!! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 02:11:04 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36CD1C97.D8948F38@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Non_TMBG: HHGTTG CajunGram@aol.com wrote: > And, DNA did that book (Starship Titanic) sort of with Terry Jones (Dougy did > the CD-ROM and Terry wrote the book) so you know at least some of them are on > friendly terms with him, it's possible... > > Graham Final episode of Monty Python, Douglas Adams is in the credits. That's how he hooked up with the MP team, which actually led to the Starship Titanic collaboration with Terry Jones. Let's just hope that collaboration between the two great forces continues into the future! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Listening to Art Bell for some reason... Ugh..." Scott ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <9a1e3e0d.36cd5a4f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 07:34:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more << So here's what you do. You get someone to burn you a CD with the new songs, so you can listen to them. Then, you use your crappy system to go to the GoodNoise web page and buy the album, deleting each mp3 as you download it to free up that precious hard drive space (which you probably need on your old machine). So you can listen to the songs and TMBG can get the money. Hmm, that's a good idea...I think all of us non-MP3-compatible people who get burned copies should make a pledge to do this. < Subject: TMBG: Orangutans versus MP3s Message-Id: <919432331.15521.659@excite.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 05:52:11 PST People, Sorry to infect this mailing list again, but I have been away from mailing possibilities and have missed the chance to throw my money in at everyone. Right, has anything happened TMBG-wise that I need to know (since last December)? (My digests were deleted cos of space problems.) Also, I would like to know if anyone agrees with me on the lyrical content of 'End Of The Tour' - it being about a car crash between an elderly man and a car full of students. Private responses welcome. Until then, eat fish and fart. LXD. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private email at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990219144626.10729.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Chris Haufschild" Subject: TMBG: Singles Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:46:26 PST I have a fairly stupid request. I know that it is only once in a blue moon that a true fan decides to part with some of the most unique TMBG stuff. Yet I make this plea. Is there anyone out there willing to part with their Guitar, Istanbul, or any other single (minus WDTSS, SEXXY, and BTS) or know where I could get them? Please e-mail me personally , not the list. Thank you. Chris Haufschild chaufschild@hotmai ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:04:04 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Feb-99 Re: TMBG: Re: Major album n.. by Destin Berthelot@Rollins > So it breaks down like this. A few people (like me) are going to pay for > it, a few people are going to steal it, and a few people are going to > have to wait for better-wired people to send it their way sometime. but you're forgetting one other thing... this is just another example of people going overboard and totally gung ho about a particular technology. I, for one, have absolutely no intention of spending a penny on this crap, although I have every intention of hearing the songs, and screwing the record company out of a sneakily earned $10 or whatever. I want something I can take with me; something I can listen to in my car. And those portable mp3 players are NOT what I have in mind. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990219102408.00937850@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:26:43 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more At 10:04 AM 2/19/99, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > >I, for one, have absolutely no intention of spending a >penny on this crap, although I have every intention of hearing the >songs, and screwing the record company out of a sneakily earned $10 or >whatever. Well, aside from the screwing the record company part, that's exactly that attitude I've been hoping to hear more of. A lot of people from the newsgroup are complaining about the mp3-only thing, and...well, it's your right as a consumer to not get it. TMBG doesn't get your money, then, and if enough people do that to where it's not profitable, they probably won't ever release anything like this again. Personally, I don't want to comment one way or another right now. Maybe when the songs are available, I'll change my mind. ;-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:35:37 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Message-ID: Maybe I am missing something here but this sounds like a really bad argument. I would imagine that TMBG has to be making money off this or they would not have done it and therefore spending money on this is helping TMBG out. In addition, people complaining about the mp3 nature of this release are really not looking at the big picture. Most other bands would never realease the rare obscure stuff like TMBG is doing. TMBG is putting out DAS's and "some of the wilder tracks" for us to hear. Of COURSE they are not going to release it on CD, no record company in their right mind would spend the production money on this kind of a release. So instead of just not releasing the stuff and having nobody hear it, TMBG found a creative new way to get it out there.... It is everybody's choice whether to buy it or not... the argument that "I want something to take around with me" is silly because tapes and CDs can easily enough be made for everybody who wants them. The point is that TMBG has found a creative new way to release material that would have otherwise not been released and we should support them by buying it -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Adam Tyner wrote: > At 10:04 AM 2/19/99, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > > >I, for one, have absolutely no intention of spending a > >penny on this crap, although I have every intention of hearing the > >songs, and screwing the record company out of a sneakily earned $10 or > >whatever. > > Well, aside from the screwing the record company part, that's exactly that > attitude I've been hoping to hear more of. A lot of people from the > newsgroup are complaining about the mp3-only thing, and...well, it's your > right as a consumer to not get it. TMBG doesn't get your money, then, and > if enough people do that to where it's not profitable, they probably won't > ever release anything like this again. > > Personally, I don't want to comment one way or another right now. Maybe > when the songs are available, I'll change my mind. ;-) > -Adam > -- > /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ > http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990219155303.16692.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG on Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 07:53:03 PST Derek A Klein wrote: >>-Since you all seem to so interested in references, I thought you >>might >>like to >know this one. There's a kid's show on Nickelodeon called >>"Tiny >>Toon >Adventures" that I used to watch. It was like Looney Toons, >>only >>all the >characters were kid versions. Anyway, on one episode,they >>did >>some fake >music videos featuring the cartoon characters. One song >>was >>Aretha Franklin's >"R-E-S-P-E-C-T" and two other ones were... >>Istanbul >>and Particle Man! I, being >a young person at the time, just assumed >>that >>these were popular songs that >everyone but me knew. Little did I >>know.... > >Yes, we've know about this for quite some time now. ::points to FAQ:: >It's in there, right? Actually, it isn't. It probably should be, though, since this is a frequently asked question. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002101be5c2f$228f7d80$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: An idea... Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:41:38 -0700 I've got a plan.. How about all of us never buy another one of their albums simply because /some/ people don't own CD players, and /some/ people don't own tape decks... That way, maybe they'll never release something like that again! What the hell??? Oh, here's a better idea. Let's all steal the songs so They feel nice and stupid for releasing them on the internet.. How about that? I bet that would be really cool. Or something. I don't understand exactly why some of your are so blatantly opposed to this. I understand if some of you can't view MP3 files, that you may be a bit peeved, but we can fix that for you. Stealing them from Them isn't the solution. Good lord. I expected a bit more solidarity than this... Ok. That's it for my rant. Back to my Physics homework. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico My Shoutcast channel is at 129.138.34.90:7050. No guarantee it'll be up all the time, but at least it's a start, no? Oh yeah. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550 The first Julie Plug tribute page in history!!! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990219174910.2320.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:49:10 PST >I know I will personally try to police this and I would hope the rest of >us would to. How can you, man? You can't stop free thinking individuals from downloading an mp3 for free from one site instead of paying on another. > This is a pretty revolutionary thing that TMBG is doing and >if it works out for them it could mean great things. Conceivably they >could release all their rare obscure stuff this way... I guess I'm missing the implications here. Can anyone tell me why exactly this is revolutionary? All the rare obsure TMBG stuff that I'm aware of can be acquired from fans for the price of a blank tape. And they already release all their wierder tracks on DAS. > so I would hope >that a lot of us would actively try to prevent people from pirating these >mp3s.... How? Should we beat them up? Become mp3 vigilantes, serving justice to all the mp3 villians in the world? Understand, I'm not trying to be a dick. I just don't see the point. If anything is revolutionary it's the fact that you can listen to any music you want to over the internet for free. It's not the beginning of the end for great bands, it's the beginning of the end for sleazy, sell-out record labels. If the mp3 revolution does have an impact on record sales (which I question, at least in the short term), bands will just have to make more money by actually working (touring. i'm talking about touring.) If you're in a band and you're too lazy or you don't love your job enough to go out and play on a regular basis, I might just have to say that your band sucks and maybe you should leave it to the real musicians\performers. Also, I've said this before on the list, but I think it bears repeating. Being able to download mp3's for free is not going to hurt all bands. Many people listen to songs off the internet so they can decide what albums to purchase. That way you don't have to trust some ridiculous hype or the word of someone else when deciding what music to purchase (or what bands you want to go see). You can base your decision on the quality of the music. The good bands win, the bad bands lose. It's a popular revolution, man. Led by the people, for the people. We're taking power out of the hands of the labels and making them work for us. This train's leaving the station. Don't stand on the track. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <33627d14.36cda6a1@aol.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:00:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: An idea... << I understand if some of you can't view MP3 files, that you may be a bit peeved, but we can fix that for you. >> Outside of buying us new computers, I don't see how Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990219125422.00938b10@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:00:25 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more At 09:49 AM 2/19/99, Todd Wetherbee wrote: > >How can you, man? You can't stop free thinking individuals from >downloading an mp3 for free from one site instead of paying on another. Of course not. But if I come across a site illegally carrying them, I will unquestionably e-mail the URL to Goodnoise. Whatever they choose to do is their decision. >I guess I'm missing the implications here. Can anyone tell me why >exactly this is revolutionary? All the rare obsure TMBG stuff that I'm >aware of can be acquired from fans for the price of a blank tape. And >they already release all their wierder tracks on DAS. LOL! I take if you've never actually listened to any of the Dial-A-Song compilation tapes. Personally, I find the recordings of such low quality that they're nearly unlistenable. The mp3s, presumably, will be much higher quality. >If you're in a band and you're too lazy or you don't >love your job enough to go out and play on a regular basis, I might just >have to say that your band sucks and maybe you should leave it to the >real musicians\performers. It's easy to say that if you're not in a band. I'm not either (really), but I have some friends and acquaintances that are, and all of them hate touring and the effect it has on their personal lives. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:26:17 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News Message-ID: <19990219.142623.8422.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. ****The following is NOT an attack on the band, just**** concern on what the band has been doing. i believe i'm in the minority here and i'm curious to know if anyone else feels the same. it is going on 2 and a half years since the release of factory showroom, the last TMBG album of all new material. since then the quanity and, in all honesty, quality of the Johns work doesn't seem to be hitting the mark. the lackluster effort of STD and an apparent high amount of foucs on Mono Puff's It's Fun To Steal, really angered me as a fan. this MP3 thing adds on top of that. and i'm wondering: does anyone else just not give a damn anymore? okay, maybe that was a little strong, but i feel the question does have some merit. at this point i believe the split from Elektra was quite possibly the worst thing for the band. I know they were unhappy and the label was giving them hell, but the way They left was so sudden and very poorly planned. It seemed like They wanted to get out of there so badly, They didn't give thought as to what steps to take after leaving. there was no label waiting for them saying "okay, we'll take you guys in." They walked out of Elektra's contract and into some labelless limbo that has seemed to kill the group's momentum. Now let me take a moment here to say kudos for the band for still sticking it out. As I've said in the past, a lot of other bands in their positon would just break up and never be heard from again. right now, however, i'm wondering if that could be a very likely possiblity in the future. They have a least two albums worth of new material (whatever ideas for the kids album and the 13 odd songs they've been playing live for the past 2 years like Counterfeit Faker and Certain People) that have had a hard time of surfacing publicly. and this MP3 thing appears to have so many flaws in its marketing approach, i'm wondering how John and John could make any money? others have already started voicing similar opinions and i'm agreeing with most of them. i don't want to pay for MP3s nor do i want to download them for free illegally. i also don't want more dial-a-songs. i was rather hesitant to shell out 29 bucks for Then solely for the extra tracks. i wouldn't be surprised if some of new songs were files available from the dial-a-song website. it's poor decisions like this that are starting to make me angry towards a band i love so much. do i really want a state song album? yeah, but i'd rather have a copy of Working Under Cover For The Man or Rest Awhile. do i really want the children's album? yeah, but what it takes off and the real TMBG gets set aside for awhile? i have a hard enough time convining people that TMBG aren't a novelity band as it is. i can only hope that John and John (as well as the Dans) really want this to be the direction to take the band, and to not be doing it only for the money. if that were true, that would really hurt me personally and alienate me as a fan. as i said at the beginning, this isn't some John bashing rant i've been on for the course of the email. it's just PERSONAL OPINION to the recent events of the group. i'm really looking forward to TDK's interview at the Philly show on the 4th. i'd like to hear comments on the band's status straight from the horse's mouth. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Random Simpsons Quote "My eyes! The goggles do nothing!" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990219195846.00f4216c@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:58:46 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more >'Tis truly a moral dilemma. What do y'all think? What should the MP3 >impaired do? They should pay to download the MP3s, and then get a copy in whatever fashion they want (ie burned CD or whatever). Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990219200027.00fa1b54@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:00:27 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more >Hmm, that's a good idea...I think all of us non-MP3-compatible people who get >burned copies should make a pledge to do this. I don't know about any pledges... How about you just do it? Hey! Whoa! Walking pineapple! Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990219200422.12933.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:04:21 PST >>I guess I'm missing the implications here. Can anyone tell me why >>exactly this is revolutionary? All the rare obsure TMBG stuff that I'm >>aware of can be acquired from fans for the price of a blank tape. And >>they already release all their wierder tracks on DAS. > >LOL! I take if you've never actually listened to any of the Dial-A-Song >compilation tapes. Personally, I find the recordings of such low quality >that they're nearly unlistenable. The mp3s, presumably, will be much >higher quality. > I can dig this point. You are correct. I haven't listened to the DAS tapes. I haven't listened to the internet version of DAS either, because I have no sound card. But so far, there hasn't even been any new material out on the GoodNoise site and in all the publicity for it, I haven't heard any mention of any. Are there really going to be newer or clearer versions of old DAS songs out there? Right now, it sounds more like a rumor than reality. >>If you're in a band and you're too lazy or you don't >>love your job enough to go out and play on a regular basis, I might just >>have to say that your band sucks and maybe you should leave it to the >>real musicians\performers. > >It's easy to say that if you're not in a band. I'm not either (really), >but I have some friends and acquaintances that are, and all of them hate >touring and the effect it has on their personal lives. Again, a valid point, but I don't necessarily like the effect my job has on my personal life either, yet I still have to go to work. I realize that being in a band and doing all the things that that entails, from recording to practicing to touring to all the miscellaneous other things that come with the package, is very difficult. But if that's the career path you have chosen, that's what you gotta do. The history of musicians is one of making a living through live performances. The advent of recording equipment shouldn't change the fact that performing is the central role of a musician. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:16:35 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News, Adam's comments... Message-ID: On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Adam Schaaf ranted: > okay, maybe that was a little strong, but i feel the question does > have some merit. at this point i believe the split from Elektra > was quite possibly the worst thing for the band. I know they > were unhappy and the label was giving them hell, but the way > They left was so sudden and very poorly planned. i agree with your assessment of how the move was made, adam -- it seems, as you said, very poorly planned -- but i think that the move itself, in principle, is one of the better things They could have done. and it still might be, if they get their act together and figure this stuff out. the record sales that they consistently achieve are an indie label's wet dream, and once they find a good fit, i'm optimistic that things will improve. > it's poor decisions like this that are starting to make me angry > towards a band i love so much. very well-put. > i'm really looking forward to TDK's interview at the Philly show on the > 4th. i'd like to hear comments on the band's status straight from the > horse's mouth. me too. TDK, are you going to post your questions before the interview? --jim kuemmerle, who would now like to revive the question of "what label would be a good one for Them to go to?"... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990219203302.9402.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:33:02 PST Adam Schaaf wrote: >i believe i'm in the minority here and i'm curious to know if >anyone else feels the same. it is going on 2 and a half years >since the release of factory showroom, the last TMBG album >of all new material. since then the quanity and, in all honesty, >quality of the Johns work doesn't seem to be hitting the mark. I agree. Of course, as much as fans might disapprove, the Johns are human, and might not be able to handle coming out with a new album every other year. They have lives outside of the band, y'know. I am also disappointed in the quantity of quality of TMBG's recent work. It might just not be possible for Them to do better, though. I suppose that They don't really have any obligation to Their fans. Still, it is somewhat irritating that They don't seem to be living up to Their reputation as of late. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990219151257.0092fc70@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:36:27 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more At 12:04 PM 2/19/99, Todd Wetherbee wrote: > >I can dig this point. You are correct. I haven't listened to the DAS >tapes. I haven't listened to the internet version of DAS either, >because I have no sound card. But so far, there hasn't even been any You're not missing much. The current version of DAS Online, at least, is marginally better than the compilation tapes, but....pretty comparable to listening to it over the phone. >new material out on the GoodNoise site and in all the publicity for it, >I haven't heard any mention of any. Are there really going to be newer Goodnoise's press release says the new album will be out "this spring". Why it can't be out now, considering that all the material has been recorded, is beyond me. >or clearer versions of old DAS songs out there? Right now, it sounds >more like a rumor than reality. The press release states Dial-A-Songs and unreleased songs (presumably FS outtakes like Rat Patrol). >Again, a valid point, but I don't necessarily like the effect my job has >on my personal life either, yet I still have to go to work. I realize >that being in a band and doing all the things that that entails, from >recording to practicing to touring to all the miscellaneous other things >that come with the package, is very difficult. But if that's the career >path you have chosen, that's what you gotta do. The history of >musicians is one of making a living through live performances. The >advent of recording equipment shouldn't change the fact that performing >is the central role of a musician. I see what you mean, but I suppose it's really just a matter of philosophy. I still consider XTC to be musicians, even though they don't tour, for example. Don't get the wrong idea though; I'm not saying you're mistaken or anything. Music's one of those things that everyone can have millions of opinions about. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:36:30 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: the job of musicianhood... Message-ID: On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Todd Wetherbee wrote: > Again, a valid point, but I don't necessarily like the effect my job has > on my personal life either, yet I still have to go to work. I realize > that being in a band and doing all the things that that entails, from > recording to practicing to touring to all the miscellaneous other things > that come with the package, is very difficult. But if that's the career > path you have chosen, that's what you gotta do. The history of > musicians is one of making a living through live performances. The > advent of recording equipment shouldn't change the fact that performing > is the central role of a musician. todd, while i agree with your position that "if that's the career path you have chosen, that's what you gotta do", i think you may be oversimplifying the issue and putting too much emphasis on the tour aspect. you can't tour all the time. you just can't. and even if you could, it's really hard for even a band of TMBG's stature to it profitably. TMBG are already one of the hardest-touring bands out there, and it's obviously taking a very significant toll. even more importantly, touring is a drain on the creative process. while it's great for testing and reworking new material, it makes it really hard to come up with that new material in the first place. this, i think, may be one of the reasons that it's been so long since we've seen a normal album (a la F.S.) from the Johns -- the stress of trying to find a new label, the constant touring, new parenthood, for chrissakes... it makes it really hard for them to get any recording done. before they split with elektra, these pressures weren't nearly as much of an issue. i've forgotten what my point was, so i'll stop now. --jim kuemmerle, who thinks it had something to do with mp3's vs. conventional recordings... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:23:22 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Message-ID: On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Mitchell Harding wrote: > >Hmm, that's a good idea...I think all of us non-MP3-compatible people who get > >burned copies should make a pledge to do this. > > I don't know about any pledges... How about you just do it? i'm assuming you need a credit card to purchase this thing. i'm mp3-compatible, but i have no credit card. what then? > Hey! Whoa! Walking pineapple! that sounds like a really good band name. :) --jim kuemmerle, co-conspirator with cornflakes... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990219213157.013c9458@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:31:57 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more At 02:23 PM 2/19/99 -0700, you wrote: >i'm assuming you need a credit card to purchase this thing. i'm >mp3-compatible, but i have no credit card. what then? Use a friend's credit card and pay them back, or send a check to another list member and have them buy you a copy. Just see to it that a copy is paid for "in your name". Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4qnRt_O00UwC11Q480@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:57:30 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Feb-99 Re: TMBG: Re: Major album n.. by "Todd Wetherbee"@hotmail > I guess I'm missing the implications here. Can anyone tell me why > exactly this is revolutionary? All the rare obsure TMBG stuff that I'm > aware of can be acquired from fans for the price of a blank tape. And > they already release all their wierder tracks on DAS. sadly, it's considered "revolutionary" because it's new, and whenever there's something new that takes advantage of technology, people go totally insane about it and go way overboard over something that isn't really all that great. case in point: Java. I'd be willing to bet that the people who think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread also probably believe that the new millenium starts in 2000, not 2001. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:14:12 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Feb-99 Re: TMBG: Major Album News by Adam Schaaf@juno.com > i believe i'm in the minority here and i'm curious to know if > anyone else feels the same. it is going on 2 and a half years > since the release of factory showroom, the last TMBG album > of all new material. since then the quanity and, in all honesty, > quality of the Johns work doesn't seem to be hitting the mark. > the lackluster effort of STD and an apparent high amount of > foucs on Mono Puff's It's Fun To Steal, really angered me as a > fan. this MP3 thing adds on top of that. and i'm wondering: > does anyone else just not give a damn anymore? well, if it makes you feel any better, I agree with you. I was very disappointed with Severe Tire Damage (I bought it the day it came out, but I was still disappointed) and half the songs on Factory Showroom (everything Flans wrote) I just skip. I think Flans' songwriting ability is being spread way too thin between TMBG and Mono Puff. And for Flans, it's apparently quite a chore to write a song. and their live show just isn't that good anymore, either... they play for about 90 minutes, usually, and the set varies by maybe a song or two from show to show. I saw Moxy Fruvous three nights in a row earlier this month and every show was completely different. I don't want to compare TMBG to Moxy Fruvous, though, since they are two different types of bands... but TMBG could stand to improve their live show. > okay, maybe that was a little strong, but i feel the question does > have some merit. at this point i believe the split from Elektra > was quite possibly the worst thing for the band. I know they > were unhappy and the label was giving them hell, but the way > They left was so sudden and very poorly planned. It seemed > like They wanted to get out of there so badly, They didn't give > thought as to what steps to take after leaving. there was no > label waiting for them saying "okay, we'll take you guys in." > They walked out of Elektra's contract and into some labelless > limbo that has seemed to kill the group's momentum. Now > let me take a moment here to say kudos for the band for still > sticking it out. As I've said in the past, a lot of other bands in their > positon would just break up and never be heard from again. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another studio release from them after the so-called "kids" album. Linnell is almost 40, and has a kid. That doesn't exactly lend itself to the lifestyle that TMBG had over the past 10 years with all the touring and stuff. > right now, however, i'm wondering if that could be a very likely > possiblity in the future. They have a least two albums worth of > new material (whatever ideas for the kids album and the 13 odd > songs they've been playing live for the past 2 years like Counterfeit > Faker and Certain People) that have had a hard time of surfacing > publicly. and this MP3 thing appears to have so many flaws in its > marketing approach, i'm wondering how John and John could make > any money? others have already started voicing similar opinions > and i'm agreeing with most of them. i don't want to pay for MP3s > nor do i want to download them for free illegally. i also don't want > more dial-a-songs. i was rather hesitant to shell out 29 bucks for > Then solely for the extra tracks. i wouldn't be surprised if some of > new songs were files available from the dial-a-song website. not to mention they seem to have removed most of these songs from their show anyway. I haven't hear Counterfeit Faker in over a year... Certain People... aside from the 2/14/97 show, has been gone for almost 3 years... > it's poor decisions like this that are starting to make me angry > towards a band i love so much. do i really want a state song album? > yeah, but i'd rather have a copy of Working Under Cover For The Man > or Rest Awhile. do i really want the children's album? yeah, but what > it takes off and the real TMBG gets set aside for awhile? i have a hard > enough time convining people that TMBG aren't a novelity band as it is. > i can only hope that John and John (as well as the Dans) really want > this to be the direction to take the band, and to not be doing it only > for > the money. if that were true, that would really hurt me personally and > alienate me as a fan. hmmm... I'm going to make an odd analogy, and above I said I wouldn't compare TMBG to Moxy Fruvous, but this is different... any Fruvous fans out there can tell you that Wood and You Will Go To the Moon are vastly different in their feel. Wood is cohesive... has a general style to the whole album, and a general tone, too. The instrumentation is pretty consistent, and there are no a capella songs. YWGTTM is like Bargainville in that it has 13 very different tracks, uses a wide range of instrumentation, and isn't nearly as depressing. They basically decided that the consistency of Wood wasn't received well, and that they'd rather go back to the ecclectic nature of Bargainville... on to TMBG... With Factory Showroom, it seems that TMBG made a concerted effort to rock, and stuck a few non-rock songs in the middle. They hired Eric Schermerhorn to play guitar solos, ditched the horns, mostly, and put heavy guitar lines in almost every number. When had they ever done that before? never. It was an experiment, and, at least as far as I can tell, it failed. They tour with Dan Miller now, who plays lead guitar, but does so a lot more tastefully than Eric did - Dan is more of a substitute for the horns on a lot of songs. I think the next album, if there is one, could be more in the style of Flood and Apollo 18, or even John Henry, which had enough varied styles to be considered ecclectic. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902192245.RAA225904@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:46:59 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Major Album News At 05:14 PM 2/19/99 -0500, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another studio release from them >after the so-called "kids" album. Linnell is almost 40, and has a kid. >That doesn't exactly lend itself to the lifestyle that TMBG had over the >past 10 years with all the touring and stuff. I think it's premature to start predicting the demise of TMBG. I do think wholeheartedly that they've made a mistake by releasing Then, STD, and a children's album in succession. I think all 3 of these projects individually are good enough ideas, but to release all three in between studio albums makes absolutely no sense to me. However, they are at least working on projects together. They've been touring, giving interviews, and everything else that you would expect a band on its last legs to avoid. I do, however, believe that from here on out They Might Be Giants albums will be few and far between. They just have way too many other things going on at this point to release a studio album every other year. I think it's realistic to say that any upcoming studio albums will be at least 2 to 3 years in between. >With Factory Showroom, it seems that TMBG made a concerted effort to >rock, and stuck a few non-rock songs in the middle. They hired Eric >Schermerhorn to play guitar solos, ditched the horns, mostly, and put >heavy guitar lines in almost every number. When had they ever done that >before? never. It was an experiment, and, at least as far as I can >tell, it failed. They tour with Dan Miller now, who plays lead guitar, >but does so a lot more tastefully than Eric did - Dan is more of a >substitute for the horns on a lot of songs. I think the next album, if >there is one, could be more in the style of Flood and Apollo 18, or even >John Henry, which had enough varied styles to be considered ecclectic. I definitely agree with you here, I think they've pursued that "rock-hero trip" that Dave Kendall asked them about so long ago, and now that it's out of their system, hopefully they'll return to the "rock-gyro trip". :) Look at the 2 studio tracks (not counting STD theme) on Severe Tire Damage. Dr. Worm and About Me would, in my opinion, stick out like sore thumbs on Factory Showroom. Hopefully these two songs are signs of the style to come in the next regular album. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990219225911.20718.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:59:11 PST Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >sadly, it's considered "revolutionary" because it's new, and whenever >there's something new that takes advantage of technology, people go >totally insane about it and go way overboard over something that >isn't >really all that great. case in point: Java. I would definitely agree here. A lot of people tend to "upgrade" whenever possible, and insist that the newest thing is the best. While MP3's do sound pretty good, I don't really think WAV's sound all that bad, but pretty much everyone is using MP3's for computer sounds these days. I don't really see what the Johns are doing as a bad idea, since I doubt They would have been able to place the Dial-A-Song stuff on a regular album. I do see you point about people considering new things to be "revolutionary," though. >I'd be willing to bet that the people who think this is the greatest >thing since sliced bread also probably believe that the new millenium >starts in 2000, not 2001. And the people who have Windows 98 installed on their computers. As for the millennium thing, though, our system of years is based on an inaccurate approximation of when Jesus was born. It's quite likely that it's already been 2000 years since the birth of Christ (making the "2000 will be the end of the world!" prophets seem even more ridiculous than they would be anyway). -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990219170250.00862100@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:02:50 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more >I would definitely agree here. A lot of people tend to "upgrade" >whenever possible, and insist that the newest thing is the best. While >MP3's do sound pretty good, I don't really think WAV's sound all that >bad, but pretty much everyone is using MP3's for computer sounds these >days. I don't really see what the Johns are doing as a bad idea, since >I doubt They would have been able to place the Dial-A-Song stuff on a >regular album. I do see you point about people considering new things >to be "revolutionary," though. > It's not that wavs sound bad. Wavs and MP3s can be the same amount of good quality. The reason why MP3s are better, is because they are much smaller. LDB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:01:47 -0500 Subject: TMBG: they might be kiddie songs, the Johns and other such scenarios Message-ID: <19990219.190151.3150.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae i've noticed there's been a deal of discussion of where the epic saga of John and John seems to be headed... and personally (now, this is just my thoughts; please don't hurt me), i think that... maybe some of ya'll are being a bit too hard on the lads. i can see how upsetting it can be when a band hits a bit of a low point but, for one thing, They've been together over ten years, with both Johns in their late thirties, and i would think it would be rather difficult to keep going on at top speed for that long without hitting a little rough spot. and, i can't think They'd want to keep touring intensively and spending massive studio time well into their forties. i mean, hell, They're not the Rolling Stones (although i'm sure it would be interesting to see a very gangly Linnell doing a Mick Jagger prance across the stage, accordion 'round his neck). also, i feel that part of our roles as Their fans, we should try and support the goings on (ex: the mp3 thing, the album of children's music). i can see how it's all kind of weird -- i don't even know what a friggen' mp3 is, although i probably would if i actually read some of these posts about them, but on some things - technology for example - i prefer to remain ignorant (for ignorance is bliss, and electronics are confusing). but i think an album of kid's music might be interesting - WDTSS is pretty neat, methinks (maybe then my little sister won't pitch a fit every time i play TMBG). and, maybe i'm the only one, but i really liked STD but i guess i have no room to talk - i still haven't been fully exposed to all of Their music yet, only having the first five albums, and i express probably a bit too much loyalty to certain things - but i thought i'd express my opinion, since i so rarely do it in real life. ever-sincere, eriKa, who will crawl back into her hole now and roll up in a fetal position in the corner, clutching her copy of Lincoln and a picture of the Johns from an add for Severe Tire Damage "As rare as it is...My spare time is reserved for 1) staring out the window... 2) hanging out with people and staring out the window 3) riding my bicycle 'round Brooklyn 4) playing cards 5) reading the newspaper" - John Linnell ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:17:42 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Message-ID: uhm... i think there is some confusion here: "I don't really think WAV's sound all that bad" "Wavs and MP3s can be the same amount of good quality." sorry.. but no. a .wav file is an EXACT DIGITAL COPY. it will sound as the source (theoretically... things like speakers and soundcards still make a difference <--so no one says "it sounds worse on my computer than a cd does on my stereo") I'm not even talking high quailty kinko's type copy.... its *exact*. when we dub a dub of a dub.. each one gets worse in quality. photocopy a copy of a copy of a newspaper and you won't even be able to read it. make a wav of a wav of a [source] and you lose nothing. zero. saying "it sounds ok" is sorta meaningless.... unless you mean that what is a copy of sounded ok. hrm. guess thats not totally true. the sound on a CD is 44khz.... wavs can vary. a track "ripped" from a cd will be 44khz stereo.. on the other hand, the wavs they used to use for DAS (online version) were 22khx mono wav files. yes, these did indeed sound like dook. but they were about 1/4 the file size they would have been otherwise. ah.. and mp3's are not a "copy" per se.. they are a compressed (read: inteerpreted) very near duplication. they may not sound "worse"... but there are aspects missing. hell... theres a chance that the annoying hiss on a tape wont be there when you encode it (cuz mp3s cut out certain ranges of music). the compression is something like 12:1. you do *not* get this without some loss of fidelity.... but its usually not noticeable unless youre really looking for it (and have a nice soundcard/speakers) my oh my i go on and on about this. oh.. re: "stealing" money from TMBG by not paying for the online album. Disrespectful. i for one would pay for it in an instant. then again, i have access to mp3's...i realize some are in a different position. but getting them from a friend for free just says alot about lack of respect for the band and their work or an ignorance of economi thingies. :) and personally i cant wait. nice to see TMBG all up on the technology. they even got mentionon slashdot!! as per the "wah wah no computer not fair" people. i dunno....not much to say except a) too bad. b) a 486 really isnt all that extravagant these days. c) someones gotta push stuff forward. --kevin On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >I would definitely agree here. A lot of people tend to "upgrade" > >whenever possible, and insist that the newest thing is the best. While > >MP3's do sound pretty good, I don't really think WAV's sound all that > >bad, but pretty much everyone is using MP3's for computer sounds these > >days. I don't really see what the Johns are doing as a bad idea, since > >I doubt They would have been able to place the Dial-A-Song stuff on a > >regular album. I do see you point about people considering new things > >to be "revolutionary," though. > > > It's not that wavs sound bad. Wavs and MP3s can be the same amount of good > quality. The reason why MP3s are better, is because they are much smaller. > > LDB > -- > http://www.lucidx.com/is > My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. > -- > http://www.mp3.com/idolv > Download some of my music. > -- > http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ > The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA > -- > Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. > M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all > related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble > ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <2bd8ead5.36ce1e89@aol.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:31:37 EST Subject: TMBG: Online Concert I don't now if this has been sent to the list yet, but check this out: http://www.yack.com/LiveConcerts/175000734.html It says you need a Realplayer version 5.0. Does anyone know if it wrks with version G2, also? PR Mega ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990220041001.4990.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:10:01 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Hmm. Questions for the Johns >Besides, why not discuss TMBG interview questions on the list? Mine >probably won't be >chosen anyway plus, if you post your questions to the list... its possible that one of us already knows the answer and TDK won't have to waste time asking questions we already know the answers to... ya know? You can allways ask questions not music related like what was your mothers maiden name. Damn i sured like to know both Linnell and Flansburghs Mothers Maiden names and their middle names too gosh darnit. ...um Chris <--- thats my name (it's been worn out) PS. i'm really tired right now. I'm sorry if you read that _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990220041642.10569.rocketmail@send203.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:16:42 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: What's the childrens album > According to the Hornblow Group, They won't be releasing a regular > studio album this year (unless you count the children's album). I'm > pretty sure that this MP3 album will consist primarily of stuff that > They don't think will work on a regular album, or appeal to thegeneral > public. Perhaps the children's album _is_ the next studio album. It's not live right? It's going to be all TMBG material, no? Just because it might be geared towards children and adults with child-like minds *g* doesn't not make it a new studio album. It can take just as much time to write a good children's album as any other album and the songs can be just as interesting.-Matt ______________ Um yes indeed i hate to sound dumb... but whats the children's album _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <5600bd1.36ce36c3@aol.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:14:59 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more In a message dated 2/19/99 4:37:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, Kaylum@aol.com writes: > You get someone to burn you a CD with the new > songs, so you can listen to them. Then, you use your crappy system to go > to the GoodNoise web page and buy the album, deleting each mp3 as you > download it to free up that precious hard drive space (which you > probably need on your old machine). So you can listen to the songs and > TMBG can get the money. > > Hmm, that's a good idea...I think all of us non-MP3-compatible people who > get > burned copies should make a pledge to do this. You know... as nice and good as I would like to think that I am, if a free CD copy of Their new stuff founds itself my way, I wouldn't go to the sit, and waste the money top download it jsut to say with a good concience that I support the band. Maybe, insteaed of pumpng money into something that you already have that you are jsut going to destroy as soon as you get anyway, you could do something else with the money. Like donate it to charity or something. Who knows, eh? Graham "Accepting donations" Amsden ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990220042326.18146.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:23:26 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: please tell me whats going on Check out: http://www.goodnoise.com/artist/tmbg/index.html I'm soooo so so so happy! wow.-Ryan (who wonders about this list and why he rarely posts) is this some sick joke. i have all these songs. This better not be that MP3 album everyones so damn geared up about... pardon my language.. could someone please just tell me what this MP3 album is all about or send me to a site that can thank you -Chris (he's your pal.... yes he is) _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990220042837.16974.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hmm. Questions for the Johns Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:28:37 PST KRS Tyler wrote: >You can allways ask questions not music related like what was your >mothers maiden name. Damn i sured like to know both Linnell and >Flansburghs Mothers Maiden names and their middle names too gosh >darnit. I read somewhere that Flans's mother's maiden name was Peggy Hospital. I don't know about Linnell's, though. When you mention "middle names," do you mean the Johns' middle names, or Their mothers'? If you mean the former, Their full names are John Sidney Linnell and John Conant Flansburgh. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36CE7759.31107A06@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:50:34 -0800 From: Bert Rubini Organization: no, thank you Subject: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal TMBG mp3's > "We knew a couple of years ago there was a lot of trading of Dial-A-Song > files in MP3, TMBG's John Flansburgh says, Is it just me, or does this statement seem to indicate that TMBG are aware that trading will occur with this release? I mean, if they KNOW that mp3's are commonly traded, then why issue a release exclusively in that format? I believe this whole mp3 release may be rather like Dial-a-Song itself, more of an attempt to get some music out than to make a buck. After all, they don't make any money off of Dial-a-Song, right? But they do it anyway. How much do they care if people trade copies of music that was previously released for free, anyway? (I wonder how much of the money goes to recoup costs, and I also wonder how much of the money goes to goodnoise). Of course, I'm reading a lot into Flansburgh's statement above, but everyone seems to automatically assume that free trading is bad for the band. I'm not so sure. (Some bands encourage trading, remember). Does the band really want us to "police" each other? I kind of suspect that, as someone else said, this release *encourages* bootlegging. Maybe that's intentional. Don't forget, it's fun to steal. bert np: King Crimson "Matte Kudasai" -- My homepage - slightly more interesting than watching grass grow: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 01:10:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: label questions and other stuff Message-ID: <19990220.011250.13350.1.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf >--jim kuemmerle, who would now like to revive the question of "what >label would be a good one for Them to go to?"... two words: MATADOR RECORDS. every time i listen to the What's Up Matador? comp CD (a steal at only $9.99 for two CDs!!!), i dream of being able to go from Yo La Tengo to John Spencer to Liz Phair and maybe one day TMBG all on the same CD. i guess the Kids In The Hall: Brain Candy soundtrack is as close as i'll ever come to musical nirvana. so has anyone ever heard of Rounder Records before? i've been looking near and far for anyone out on that label with no luck. >They're not the Rolling Stones (although i'm sure it would be interesting >to see a very gangly Linnell doing a Mick Jagger prance across the stage, >accordion 'round his neck). this has nothing to do whatsoever with that last bit other than it reminded me of something. has anyone ever noticed that Linnell and composer Philip Glass look EXACTLY alike? i forget which CD it is but there's a cover with Glass on the front and he looks like Linnell with about 15 years added on. well, enough with non-sequiturs for now. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Random Simpsons Quote "He may be a lair, a drunk, a pig and a communist, but my son is not a porn star." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-20 ******************************