Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 21 Sunday, 21 February 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: label questions and other stuff TMBG: The MP3 Album Re: TMBG: they might be kiddie songs, the Johns and other such Re: TMBG: please tell me whats going on TMBG: On MP3 and various bits TMBG: Free CD demo!! TMBG: This is a post about They Might Be Giants. Re: TMBG: This is a post about They Might Be Giants. Re: TMBG: The MP3 Album Re: TMBG: This is a post about They Might Be Giants. Re: TMBG: they might be kiddie songs, the Johns and other suchscenarios TMBG: Thank you Re: TMBG: they might be kiddie songs, the Johns and other suchscenarios Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more TMBG: Re: TMBG on "Tiny Toons" Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more TMBG: re "new" album news Re: TMBG: label questions and other stuff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 01:18:13 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: label questions and other stuff In a message dated 99-02-20 01:15:01 EST, superman75@juno.com writes: << so has anyone ever heard of Rounder Records before? i've been looking near and far for anyone out on that label with no luck. >> Country-folk singer Nanci Griffith used to be on Rounder. From about 1984 to 1986 or so; then MCA picked her up. She's no on some other major, but I don't remember which one. I highly recommend her - she's not annoying country, she's more folky. jennifer ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:38:43 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36CE5873.A83A3C37@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: The MP3 Album Since I haven't said anything about it yet, and it seems to be a rather hot topic, here are my thoughts: 1. TMBG getting in on this whole MP3-only album while it's still in its early phase is actually quite good in that it is something which many major recording companies are planning in the not too distant future. Revolutionary is a word I saw in someone else's message, and that is the most fitting word to describe it. 2. MP3's, like any recorded work, are gonna be traded illegally. Sure, it's easier to trade mp3's via the net than it is to trade tapes and CDs (via the net), but as people have said, if people truly care about the band continuing to exist, they'll go through the proper channels. 3. Despite the fact that many of the songs on the mp3-only album will be DASs, I don't think that should encourage people to assume that trading them without paying the album price is anything near what the Johns want. I'm not claiming to know what they want, but it just seems like it would be pointless to try to charge money for something you want the fans to have for free. (Well, I'm sure John and John would love for all their fans to have every one of their songs for free, but this isn't some idyllic dreamworld). Well I suppose that about sums up my opinion... Well, the parts of my opinion that pertain to the subject :P bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "SEMPRINI!!!" Scott ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:02:09 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: they might be kiddie songs, the Johns and other such Message-ID: <12197-36CE6C01-2715@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> preach on, e f rae! I totally agree with you on everything. I'm looking forward to this children's album. I don't know about the rest of you, but one reason that TMBG is my fav band, is because they always venture into new things. I could never classify Them under one category. This children's album is just another idea They're toying with, because this is the kinda' stuff that comes out of the John's heads. They're very inquisitve people. Have any f you heard pf The Banana Slug String Band? They're a children's group, who do songs abot science. All of BSSB's material reminds me of TMBG's educational stuff, just scientific, like the WDTSS rock version. Check 'em out! me, Dexburger P.S.- We've always supported the Johns, and they've delivered very satisfying results because of this. Let's have faith in whatever it is They decide to do next. Even if it's deathmetal! ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 08:37:02 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: please tell me whats going on << Check out: http://www.goodnoise.com/artist/tmbg/index.html I'm soooo so so so happy! wow.-Ryan (who wonders about this list and why he rarely posts) Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 09:02:15 -0500 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: On MP3 and various bits There's a lot of concern as to why the Johns are releasing the MP3 album. "Do they know what amount of money they can lose?" is a sentiment I hear over and over again. I would venture that yes, they do know. That is why it's not going to be an album of new material. New material will cost money to record and produce. The old material is already in the can. If they don't make money (say from the bootlegs already circulating of this material) then it's just the same. If they make some amount of money, that's money they wouldn't have had. It's really a win-win situation, since they aren't putting a lot of money into this project. Selling ten albums will probably show a profit. And now for miscellaneous bits from the digest: >Final episode of Monty Python, Douglas Adams is in the credits. That's how he >hooked up with the MP team, which actually led to the Starship Titanic >collaboration with Terry Jones. And don't forget the DNA reference in "Monty Python's Meaning Of Liff"... er I mean "Meaning Of Life." > If you're in a band and you're too lazy or you don't >love your job enough to go out and play on a regular basis, I might just >have to say that your band sucks and maybe you should leave it to the >real musicians\performers. You know what band really annoys me because they stopped touring? The Beatles. Between the years of 1966 and 1969, not a single live show. And then only one at the end. And of course all those albums they made in that time (Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be) were just terrible. Keep in mind that it is easier to produce music when not on tour. In fact, bands don't usually make a whole lot of money on tours. The biggest income is form record sales, and the tours are to attract new buyers. If all the money was in touring, nobody would put out a record, or refer to it as their "big break." -Chris /---------------------------------------------------------------\ | Chris Combs aka Piglet Goat Boy | | http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ | | "If I have any real purpose in life I guess it would be to | | slam a stapler against the forehead of American pop culture." | | -"Weird Al" Yankovic | \---------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ From: GlamMonst@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 09:11:02 EST Subject: TMBG: Free CD demo!! Hey TMBG's fans...just wanted to let you know that there is a free cd demo of a project out of Boston called "Shecky". They're upcoming album "Yummy" should be out in a few weeks..They have stron TMBG influences as well as Beatles, Jellyfish, Robyn Hitchcock, XTC, 10cc...etc...If your interseted in a FREE demo....just email Glammonst@aol.com..........Enjoy, .....Tiny. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990220153423.14862.rocketmail@web311.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 07:34:23 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: TMBG: This is a post about They Might Be Giants. Hey, I'm on topic for once. Actually I'm on a lot of topics at once. ==>TMBG MP3s<== Hmm, I'm still not sure about this. Honestly I have no problems with the MP3 format, and like the fact that TMBG are pioneering a new media. On the other hand, I would like a physical album, with cover art, liner notes, ect. Also, I'm going to be going off to college next year. If I download them this spring, I don't want to have to pay to take my music with me. Personally if I were Them, I would release it both as a studio CD (let's not forget that at Restless, They are a well know, big name group for the label) and as a cheaper MP3 release, perhaps with an extra track or two, which could be downloaded alone or as part of the CD. ==>The Future<== I could easily see the Johns slowing down their touring schedule in the near future. Actually I think it's already starting to happen. I'm sure Linnel want's to be at home with his son, and AFAIK neither of their wives tour with them. Actually I think that not touring for a while would be great for the band. If they spent 1/2 the amount of the time they spent touring in a recording studio near where they live, we could get at least a new TMBG album each year, not to mention more Mono Puff stuff. Plus they would have the time to go in new directions. One of the major reasons band tour is to experiment with new material. TMBG already does/can to that through DAS. Plus with DAS online, they could set up an answering machine type feedback area. ==>The Kids Album<== They way I see it is that there are a few direction they could go with this, each of which would be great. 1) An educational album. Stuff like mammal, James K. Polk, Istanbul WDTSS ect. Plus new stuff along those lines. Actually this might be the most profitable because they could sell it to schools. 2) The Raffi approach. Songs about daily activities. The joy of brushing your teeth. Basicly your standard young kid's album, with more TMBG like lyrics. 3) What's the difference. For those who haven't heard the World Cafe interview a few months ago. They basicly said that one of the questions they had about the children's album was how would it be different. Basicly I think that most likely it will be a basic TMBG album, but it will have no relationship songs, and they will be a little more cautious with the language. ==>Mono Puff sample sighting<== This might have already been stated before, if so sorry for the repetition. Sorry for the repetition. I was over at a friend's (whose a lot more interested in techno, than me) house and he was playing a techno CD (I think the band was called "Coldcut") and suddenly I heard sampled into the song Flans singing "...Not only, but expecialy for the ladies...). Just thought I would send along more useless info ;) - == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:54:50 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: This is a post about They Might Be Giants. Message-ID: Hrm.. another issue that just came up. The chance of "losing" mp3's may be somewhat greater than losing a CD. personally, I've never had a HDD failure or anything...but having to reformat is not altogether uncommon. So you pay to download these loverly mp3's then lose 'em when IE5 nukez your 'puter. that would piss the balls out of me. course, as i recently lost about 50 CD's thi past autumn....we know that no system is foolproof. --kevin On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Talcott Starr wrote: > > Hey, I'm on topic for once. Actually I'm on a lot of topics at once. > > ==>TMBG MP3s<== > Hmm, I'm still not sure about this. Honestly I have no problems with > the MP3 format, and like the fact that TMBG are pioneering a new > media. On the other hand, I would like a physical album, with cover > art, liner notes, ect. Also, I'm going to be going off to college next > year. If I download them this spring, I don't want to have to pay to > take my music with me. Personally if I were Them, I would release it >.... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:55:18 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: The MP3 Album Message-ID: Amen to this, I agree totally and am considering something to promote the proper paying and d/ling for the mp3s. I still don't know the details yet but for those people who either can't listen to mp3s or really want a CD version I was thinking that anybody who can show me proof that they bought the mp3s (whether they can play them or not), I will send a CD-R version of the album to them for free... hopefully with a nice cover and stuff... no postage or paying for the CD-R, free to you for doing the right thing :) I will discuss this again closer to release after I figure out the logistics of it... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > Since I haven't said anything about it yet, and it seems to be a rather > hot topic, here are my thoughts: > > 1. TMBG getting in on this whole MP3-only album while it's still in its > early phase is actually quite good in that it is something which many > major recording companies are planning in the not too distant future. > Revolutionary is a word I saw in someone else's message, and that is the > most fitting word to describe it. > > 2. MP3's, like any recorded work, are gonna be traded illegally. Sure, > it's easier to trade mp3's via the net than it is to trade tapes and CDs > (via the net), but as people have said, if people truly care about the > band continuing to exist, they'll go through the proper channels. > > 3. Despite the fact that many of the songs on the mp3-only album will be > DASs, I don't think that should encourage people to assume that trading > them without paying the album price is anything near what the Johns > want. I'm not claiming to know what they want, but it just seems like it > would be pointless to try to charge money for something you want the > fans to have for free. (Well, I'm sure John and John would love for all > their fans to have every one of their songs for free, but this isn't > some idyllic dreamworld). > > Well I suppose that about sums up my opinion... Well, the parts of my > opinion that pertain to the subject :P > > bobscott@tmbg.org > AKA Bob "SEMPRINI!!!" Scott > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:58:36 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: This is a post about They Might Be Giants. Message-ID: > > ==>TMBG MP3s<== > Hmm, I'm still not sure about this. Honestly I have no problems with > the MP3 format, and like the fact that TMBG are pioneering a new > media. On the other hand, I would like a physical album, with cover > art, liner notes, ect. Also, I'm going to be going off to college next > year. If I download them this spring, I don't want to have to pay to > take my music with me. Personally if I were Them, I would release it > both as a studio CD (let's not forget that at Restless, They are a > well know, big name group for the label) and as a cheaper MP3 release, > perhaps with an extra track or two, which could be downloaded alone or > as part of the CD. > Again I would like to stress the fact that releasing a CD is a lot more expensive than doing what they are doing with these mp3s. These songs, by their own admission, are the more obscure stuff like the DAS stuff. There is probably no record company that wants to pay the money to release an album of totally obscure songs. Most bands would probably just let these tracks die and never be heard, but TMBG has found a cool way to release them. I think it is as good as we can get assuming that it isn't realistic that this material would be released on a real CD -- Jish http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990220181544.8798.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: they might be kiddie songs, the Johns and other suchscenarios Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:15:44 PST Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >I'm looking >forward to this children's album. I don't know about the rest of you, >but one reason that TMBG is my fav band, is because they always >venture >into new things. I could never classify Them under one category. That's actually one reason I'm a bit apprehensive about the children's album. It's an attempt to appeal to a particular audience, which TMBG doesn't usually do. The children's album might be the first TMBG album that can be placed in one category. (Then again, it might not. We'll just have to wait and see.) -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990220191212.21344.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:12:12 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Thank you KRS Tyler wrote:> Check out: http://www.goodnoise.com/artist/tmbg/index.html > I'm soooo so so so happy! wow.-Ryan > (who wonders about this list and why he rarely posts)> > is this some sick joke. i have all these songs. This better not be > that MP3 album everyones so damn geared up about... pardon my > language.. could someone please just tell me what this MP3 album is > all about or send me to a site that can thank you> > -Chris (he's your pal.... yes he is) Here's the scoop: The *New* Mp3 album is due out in a couple of months. The ones that GoodNoise is selling now is just like a preview. There was an article posted to the group yesterday which said something along those lines, if you can find it, you can see the exact info. Hope this has been of some help!bobscott@tmbg.orgAKA Bob "Pika-chuuuuu!" Scott ...Thank you _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:34:10 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36CF0E32.F98D33D3@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: they might be kiddie songs, the Johns and other suchscenarios Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > P.S.- We've always supported the Johns, and they've delivered very > satisfying results because of this. Let's have faith in whatever it is > They decide to do next. Even if it's deathmetal! If they go the way of MC Hammer (or just Hammer, whatever he's calling himself these days...) and go into Christian Rap, I might feel a slight discomfort... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Can I get a witness?" Scott ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <14246c3b.36cf293d@aol.com> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:29:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more In a message dated 2/19/99 7:20:30 PM, insanity@uwns.underworld.net writes: >oh.. re: "stealing" money from TMBG by not paying for the online album. >Disrespectful. i for one would pay for it in an instant. then again, >i >have access to mp3's...i realize some are in a different position. but >getting them from a friend for free just says alot about lack of respect >for the band and their work or an ignorance of economi thingies. :) that's kinda silly. who said anything about getting them from a friend for free? of course, i'm sure some people would do that, but i would at least chip in. but if someone doesn't have the ability to hear an mp3, why should they pay for something they can't use? sure, it's an up and coming technology, but... that's no excuse. ((and on a non-related-to-this-thread note... i just saw sloan last night.. chris murphy (the lead singer, mostly) is unbelievably sweet. we were chatting with him for a god 2 hours before the show; and he left a phone message for my sister who couldn't come. [in fact his # is on my caller id .. lol!] could you imagine john and john ever doing that? oh yeah, and chris kissed my ear. :) )) sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:35:23 -0800 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG on "Tiny Toons" >Anyway, if you're looking for copy of these videos, our resident video >bootleg guy can hook you up. His e-mail address is russj@juno.com. I >think it's on the first video bootleg. Ask him, he'll help you out. It's also on a video available at amazon.com... Tiny Toon Adventures - Tiny Toon Music Television (1992) List Price: $12.99 Our Price: $10.99 You Save: $2.00 (15%) Availability: This title usually ships within 2-3 days. VHS Rated: NR Edition Details: * NTSC format (for use in US and Canada only) * Animated, Color, Closed-captioned, NTSC * Number of tapes: 1 * ASIN: 6302697719 C o u r t n e y L . P a t u b o toonie@tmbg.org * cpatubo@sirius.com http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo ICQ #3762743 ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <3d402755.36cf2a27@aol.com> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:33:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more In a message dated 2/19/99 4:24:27 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: >i'm assuming you need a credit card to purchase this thing. i'm >mp3-compatible, but i have no credit card. what then? i mentioned that before. (but i've already forgot about it ) it seems to be a really overlooked fact. i don't have one either. people just assume you can order something.. err.. no.. not if you don't have a card. and think about tmbg's fan base.. lotsa kids. i'm sure several have parents that will help them in that situation; but there are several that won't. watch, now i'll be hit with the arguement "well it's better than nothing!" ... blah blah blah... sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:02:24 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Message-ID: On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > >oh.. re: "stealing" money from TMBG by not paying for the online album. > >Disrespectful. i for one would pay for it in an instant. then again, > >i > >have access to mp3's...i realize some are in a different position. but > >getting them from a friend for free just says alot about lack of respect > >for the band and their work or an ignorance of economi thingies. :) > > > that's kinda silly. > > who said anything about getting them from a friend for free? of course, i'm > sure some people would do that, but i would at least chip in. but if someone > doesn't have the ability to hear an mp3, why should they pay for something > they can't use? sure, it's an up and coming technology, but... that's no > excuse. thats not what i said, silly. :p me: "...i have access to mp3's...i realize some are in a different position". you: "i am in a different position. why should i pay?" see.. in my world.. you're in that "exception" group i was referring to. i hope it didnt sound like i was telling people to pay for an album they couldnt hear. see.. if tis were 1982 or something and Culture club were releasing n album on CD only... it'd be the same if you didnt yet have a cd player. vOv. not a whole lot you can do. except.. this is 1999 and i stil hold that some form of internet access (which apparantyl you have) and a 486 is not all that extravagant. this probably makes me sound like a spoiled git...but yah. --kevin (digging a hole from the botom of the hole) ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <3d4130db.36cf9917@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:26:47 EST Subject: TMBG: re "new" album news ok everyone i think all they are going to do is sell all the same DAS stuff we've been hearing all along. If the songs are new they would be shooting themselves in the foot if only internet nerds like us could obtain the songs. Maybe they'll have the songs out for a month before a new cd comes out, if not i'd guess its just the same old stuff we've been hearing at various TMBG web sights. so lets stop deciding who is gonna steal the songs and who is gonna burn them on cd and who is gonna order the burnt cd from who. ok thats all ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:35:14 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: label questions and other stuff In a message dated 2/19/99 10:15:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, superman75@juno.com writes: > so has anyone ever heard of Rounder Records before? i've been > looking near and far for anyone out on that label with no luck. Yeah, I've heard of them before. They released stuff by Jonathan Richman (He was the guy in Something About Mary), but I think know he's on Vapor Records... Graham ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-21 ******************************