Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 22 Monday, 22 February 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Fwd: [Fwd: Another Sappy Poem] Re: TMBG: Fwd: [Fwd: Another Sappy Poem] Re: TMBG: Fwd: [Fwd: Another Sappy Poem] Re: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal TMBG mp3's TMBG: My thoughts on the upcoming TMBG Projects... Re: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal TMBG mp3's TMBG: The Johns on Billboard Re: TMBG: label questions and other stuff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:24:42 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Fwd: [Fwd: Another Sappy Poem] Message-ID: <22812-36CFB4BA-2495@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-1320744040-1249 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit --WebTV-Mail-1320744040-1249 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from dilbert.mix-net.net (dilbert.mix-net.net [207.51.81.3]) by mailsorter-101-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.graham.14Aug97) with ESMTP id WAA12302; Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:16:28 -0800 (PST) Received: from tmbg.org (max542.mix-net.net [208.151.191.48]) by dilbert.mix-net.net (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id BAA11558; Sun, 21 Feb 1999 01:16:23 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <36CFA52E.982EA761@tmbg.org> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 01:18:22 -0500 From: Feeny aka Chris Campbell X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Charis , Dexter Flansburgh , nettie@mid-ohio.net, Mattisse@usa.com Subject: [Fwd: Another Sappy Poem] Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------D9E3B3EC6BAB27F2BC322120" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------D9E3B3EC6BAB27F2BC322120 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Here Dexter, sis, Nettie, and Carl. Have good luck! --------------D9E3B3EC6BAB27F2BC322120 Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (root@ussenterprise.ufp.org [209.249.97.242]) by dilbert.mix-net.net (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id WAA15423 for ; Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:07:08 -0500 (EST) Received: from send102.yahoomail.com (send102.yahoomail.com [205.180.60.90]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id WAA21189 for ; Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:08:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <19990221030718.5372.rocketmail@send102.yahoomail.com> Received: from [206.98.61.72] by send102.yahoomail.com; Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:07:17 PST Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:07:17 -0800 (PST) From: Katie Bradford Subject: Another Sappy Poem To: Mark Walker , Brandon Mcguire , Brianna Miller , Brianna Miller , Becky Neil , Vivian Pau , Bethany Queior , Carl Rounds , Heidi Scribner , Jordan Shaw , Joe Goodness , Jen Hanson , Timmy Hunter , Lisamarie Jones , Kalle Komulainen , Devin Mack , Andrew Main , Marina , Michelle Davis , Ariell Doehler , Amy Fecteau , Chris Feeny , Karla Fossett , Sammy Foster , Amanda Gagnon , Emily Gammon , Tim Garrett , Jamie Ahlquist , Sara Allan , Amanda Arsenault , Emica Boutilier , Lexi Brown , KatY Close <_zaragona@yahoo.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000 > Hi, my name is Brandina. Just e-mailin' you to see if you like to > be on my buddy list. If you r interested, go down the page. ...............go > here-> click here > > << This is the SWEETEST thing i have EVER read! you just HAVE to read it > and pass it on! > > This poem is so sweet! Read and forward!!!! > :) > > I LoveYou > > Written with a pen > sealed with a kiss > if u love me, > please answer me this: > Do you love me, > or do you not? > you told me once but I forgot, > so tell me now and tell me true, > so I can tell you............I love you > Of all the girls/guys (depends if you are a f or m) I've > ever met, > you are the one I won't forget. > And if I die before you do, > I'll go to heaven and wait for you. > If you are not there on judgement day, > I'll know you went the other way, > I'll give the angels back their wings, > and risk the loss of everything, > just to prove my love is true, > I'll go to hell to be with you." > > *send this to 0 people: you get bad luck for a week!* > *send this to 1 person: you will get 1 day of luck!* > *send this to 2 people: you will have a great week!* > *send this to 3 people: you will have a surprise tomorrow!* > *send this to 4 people: your crush will look at you!*go here-> href="http://216.25.100.219/girls"> click here > *send this to 5 people: your crush will smile at you!* > *send this to 6 people: your crush will talk to you!* > *send this to 7 people: your crush will start liking you!* > *send this to 8 people: your crush will ask you out!* > *send this to 9 people: your crush will ask you to marry him/her!* > *send this to 10 people: you will have a wonderful life with your > crush!* > *send this to 20+ people: all your dreams will come true, and you > will have a great life!!!* > >> > > > ......go here-> click here _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com --------------D9E3B3EC6BAB27F2BC322120-- --WebTV-Mail-1320744040-1249-- ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <8edacc5e.36cfb5f0@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 02:29:52 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Fwd: [Fwd: Another Sappy Poem] never. ever. EVER post forwards here. (yes, this sounds like a personal email, but if no one tells the list this, more people will do it..) it's a waste of everyone's time and space, and they're never .. good anyway. and also, these bgsounds you include in your emails, i don't know about your server, but they don't work on mine, and i can imagine if they do, they'd be a nuciance. sarah ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:38:11 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Fwd: [Fwd: Another Sappy Poem] Message-ID: <22813-36CFB7E3-2114@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I'm really sorry. it'll never happen again. Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36D01B67.91C2E37D@osu.edu> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:42:53 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal TMBG mp3's > > I believe this whole mp3 release may be rather like Dial-a-Song itself, more of an > attempt to get some music out than to make a buck. After all, they don't make any > money off of Dial-a-Song, right? But they do it anyway. How much do they care if > people trade copies of music that was previously released for free, anyway? (I > wonder how much of the money goes to recoup costs, and I also wonder how much > of the money goes to goodnoise). I have to agree here. Maybe I'm going to get criticized for this, but honestly, if I could get a copy of the mp3 album for free I'd do it and I wouldn't feel bad about it. This has nothing to do with how much I like TMBG or care about TMBG as a band. They are the ones releasing this and they have to know that people are going to bootleg it. I download mp3's of all sorts of bands all the time, just as lots of people on this list must do, and it has to be illegal if you're not paying for it. I think the point of this is a chance to release all the music that the fans wouldn't normally be able to get. It doesn't seem that they're particularly doing this for money. How much can putting mp3's on the internet cost? This is not music that is or is going to be on a CD, like most mp3 files. Don't get me wrong. I definitely care about how TMBG does. I want them to make money and do well. I in fact will probably end up paying for the mp3 album myself. But, if I can find it for free (though I'm not particularly internet savvy), I'll get that. Diana ------------------------------ From: OHLERT@accuwx.com Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:25:54 +0000 (GMT) Subject: TMBG: My thoughts on the upcoming TMBG Projects... Message-id: <01J80UHO0PKYDBLVES@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc Well in all this discussion about TMBG's various new undertakings I thought I'd put in my $0.02. MP3 album: I think its good what they are doing at GoodNoise. They are offering all the music they control for sale there. What's there to lose, it might just revitalize some sales for the older albums. As for the upcoming new release at GoodNoise, with essentially Dial-A-Songs, its just a chance for them to offer this music in a high quality format to fans who want it. (Instead of the barely audible tapes we all have) This allows them to offer music with no production costs, and is really an all profit situation for them. The thing is this music would never get released on a normal CD release b/c it wouldn't be profitable for anyone, but this format allow them to finally relase some of this stuff, and do it whenever they want. (and if some fans can't get access to the format, well there are pros and cons to every situation and I'm sure people will be quickly making CD-Rs and tapes and trading them around and that's ok, b/c this material was freely available to begin with and the Johns won't be losing money b/c there is almost no cost at using this type of distribution system.) Childern's Album: First off Rounder Records is mostly a Folk label. I think Christine Lavin may have put out an album or two there, I know they also release (or did) a lot of bluegrass music...and I might be terribly off-base but I think Trout Fishing in America may have put an album out there too. I personally think this "Childern's Album" is a chance for them to indulge in their penchant for educational music. Since Flood they have had an educational track on each album (Flood: Istanbul, Apollo 18: Mammal, JH: Meet James Ensor, FS: James K. Polk. STD: Why Does The Sun Shine) I believe that this album is going to be in this vein, and I very much looking forward to it. Matt's Life Savings 2000 (or Matt's Millenial Life Savings for those of you who enjoy a little bit of aliteration): The next studio album. Whenever we get this I can only hope it will be worth the wait. (which I'm sure it will be.) p.s. The other day on the radio I heard for the first time a song called "Lucky Charm" by Elvis. Which includes the chours lyric of "The lucky chram hanging off of my arm", its really interesting to run into the source for a TMBG reference you never knew existed... peter ohlert@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 22:42:17 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal TMBG mp3's Message-ID: Just because i feel ike chiming in on the issue again (quite the trend I have going here, eh?) On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Diana Kocar wrote: > I have to agree here. Maybe I'm going to get criticized for this, but honestly, if I > could get a copy of the mp3 album for free I'd do it and I wouldn't feel bad about it. *nod* points for honesty--and i doubt you're in much (if any) of a minority. > They are > the ones releasing this and they have to know that people are going to > bootleg it. me: Johns, do you figure there will probably be some bootlegging going on? Johns: Yes.. it has a tendency to happen me: This makes it all ok, right? therefore, you prefer people do it. Heck...lets practically encourage it because its going to happen in limited quantities regardless, right? Johns: uhm.. no. > I think the point of this is a chance to release all the music that the fans wouldn't > normally be able to get. It doesn't seem that they're particularly doing this for money. how oh so very true....but! > How much can putting mp3's on the internet cost? potentially a whole fuck of alot. Think of the volume of people who are going to be wanting those songs. assume the demand doesnt let up for a month. basically... think of the cost that goodnoise is paying for.. and they probably would like to be compensatedby the band. I'm not sure how the arrangemenet goes exactly... but even though its cheaper than a normal CD release...i doubt the Johns want to totally eat the cost of their fans getting new music. this is certainly the best way to do it (in this situation) and *1* person not paying is not even a noticeable difference.. but as we see from your logic, that *1* person already not paying for it makes it OK for everyone not to pay for it. i'm not telling you what to do....but dont fool yourself into thinking what youre doing is OK. that aint cool > Don't get me wrong. I definitely care about how TMBG does. I want them to make money and > do well. I in fact will probably end up paying for the mp3 album myself. But, if I can > find it for free (though I'm not particularly internet savvy), I'll get that. heres a hint: you *will* be able to find it for free. Assuming you dont and the only reason you pay for it is because you have to.. well dont get me started. I'm not trying to be the moral majority here or whatever (trust me, that would be more irony than i could handle).. but if i STEAL the album i'm gonna say "i was too cheap to pay for it" > Diana And this isnt really an all-out personal attack on you, Diana.. you just provided me with a nice intro to share my feelings with the many people who probably share your view. In fact, this is less of an attack on you than on others because youre at least being honest. vOv. have a nice day. --kevin "i'd be growing in your brain..." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:19:54 -0500 Subject: TMBG: The Johns on Billboard Message-ID: <19990221.232427.-79989.5.jbparke@juno.com> From: Jeff Parker There's a small article on the front page of Billboard's website about TMBG and their mp3 albums at goodnoise.com. It's a small article, but it's the lead story which is pretty cool... anyway, if this has already been mentioned, you'll get over it!!! BTW, the URL is: www.billboard.com That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v - Always a lurker, even when he does post, and proud of it! "You're right, i can't commit... to you!" -William Shatner -- "Fear of Pop" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:16:59 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: label questions and other stuff Message-ID: On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Adam Schaaf wrote: > so has anyone ever heard of Rounder Records before? i've been > looking near and far for anyone out on that label with no luck. I have, but it surprises me that it's being released on that label -- the only band I know of that's on it is Riders In the Sky, a very funny cowboy band. :} Interesting... Kirsten "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-22 ******************************