Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 23 Tuesday, 23 February 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #15-22 TMBG: TMBG and non: mp3s, completion, MF Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more TMBG: Hello Cd's Re: TMBG: TMBG and non: mp3s, completion, MF TMBG: Kids' album not official? Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Re: TMBG: mp3s Re: TMBG: Kids' album not official? Re: TMBG: mp3s TMBG: LOSERS!!! TMBG: Fwd: LOSER!!! Re: TMBG: Hello Cd's TMBG: Flansburgh Update TMBG: Re: The flans Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: <1da8c6e8.36d10656@aol.com> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 02:25:10 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #15-22 In a message dated 2/22/99 7:06:38 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: <> yeah, my dad listens to a lot of old popular favorites and its insane, they turn up in the weirdest places! someone should really REALLY make an index of these... volunteers? i think Rounder released stuff by the Nields of the Shags or one of them. i could be very wrong. personally out of all this i've got my fingers crossed for m. linnell's solo record. and i guess a mini-tour would be too much to hope for wouldnt it? just a teeny tiny set at the mercury lounge maybe? I was discussing it the other day, think how much trouble we'd all be in if linnell got really depressed and wrote a whole like, dark album... i mean, most of what he writes has dark themes but its upbeat thoughtful pop. this would be devestating. i aint makin' sense, i'll try again when its not 3am. later! ~liz ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990222175117.5188.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mad Midget" Subject: TMBG: TMBG and non: mp3s, completion, MF Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:51:15 EST I think this whole mp3 thing is lame. 1. Obviously they want a credit card and I don't have one! Of course, snail mail checks don't count as money on the internet, how silly of me. 2. More old stuff! Don't get me wrong, I loved STD, but where be studio album? I dunno, they seem to do a new album every 2 years, and if you count STD I shouldn't be pissed until late next year. Outtakes and alternative tracks would be pretty cool. Oh, well, I'll probably try to get it anyway. I'd first want to see a track list. Depends on what is on there. Maybe go to an illegal mp3 site and listen to couple of them and then buy(I'm still torn on the steal/not to steal thing). On a completely different note, I finally have all of Their albums on cd now. Yay! I just got Flood(my first tape and latest cd)Saturday. With my luck, minidiscs become popular and I'll have to buy them all again. And I bought Moxy Fruvous's "Live Noise" last Thursday for $6(I love used cd stores)and it does kick ass. Tee hee, they're kinda like TMBG if They were a Canadian barbershop quartet. I'm kinda bummed the best way to see them is live because they don't come to the South much: I read at fruvous.com that the last time they were around here was once in '94. And whoever is ruining the digest version is going to feel my wraith. I hate having to skim tons of code to read this. I almost decided to skip the last digest(well, it wasn't that good anyways-a FORWARD? I hate those things). Does anybody have a clue as to get those eps(the Guitar, etc)? As I mentioned above, I don't have a credit card, so e-bay is out. Any suggestions would be really nice. (or someone could convert the tracks to mp3-bwa-ha-ha). Type at y'all later then, Mike No, I thought, the geek in Colorado had it all wrong. The real problem is how to wallow with the eagles at night and soar with the pigs in the morning. -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990222180453.26735.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:04:43 PST >oh.. re: "stealing" money from TMBG by not paying for the online album. >Disrespectful. i for one would pay for it in an instant. then again, i >have access to mp3's...i realize some are in a different position. but >getting them from a friend for free just says alot about lack of respect >for the band and their work or an ignorance of economi thingies. :) I guess I don't really see how this is any different than someone borrowing someone else's copy of Lincoln, making a tape of it and giving it back. Is that disrespectful also? What's the difference? People have been making copies of recordings that other people have purchased for 15 years. How is it that this has all of a sudden become a big issue? Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:03:00 -0500 (EST) From: "ASTON, HEATHER" Subject: TMBG: Hello Cd's Message-id: What I need is a little advice. Compilations of the Hello CD's are still available. I can't shell out $120 for the whole deal right now, so I ask you, which should I buy first, from those of you who have them all? Or who don't, give your opinions anyway. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902221832.NAA26478@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:33:53 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and non: mp3s, completion, MF At 12:51 PM 2/22/99 -0500, Mad Midget wrote: >Does anybody have a clue as to get those eps(the Guitar, etc)? As I >mentioned above, I don't have a credit card, so e-bay is out. Actually, most people accept money orders at ebay, although for The Guitar you're probably going to have to pay in excess of $50.00. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <22FEB99.16401186.0299.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:11:10 EST From: Misty Subject: TMBG: Kids' album not official? In most of the posts I've been reading lately, a lot of people have been saying that while TMBG's children's album will be coming out in the spring, they won't release an official album until 2000. Well, why isn't the children's album an official album? It is going to be made by They Might Be Giants, and it's not going to be a compilation album. Look at all the artists who have Christmas albums. Sure, they're albums that have a specific theme, but they're still official albums, right? In my mind, unless the album consists of covers of older children's songs, it is an official TMBG album. I realize not everybody may agree with me, but that's the way I feel. Misty ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:21:02 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Major album news and more Message-ID: On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Todd Wetherbee wrote: > >oh.. re: "stealing" money from TMBG by not paying for the online album. > >Disrespectful. i for one would pay for it in an instant. then again, > > I guess I don't really see how this is any different than someone > borrowing someone else's copy of Lincoln, making a tape of it and giving > it back. y'know why? cuz there really isn't any. > Is that disrespectful also? yes. > What's the difference? very little. > People have been making copies of recordings that other people have > purchased for 15 years. How is it that this has all of a sudden become > a big issue? i didnt say people who did it were going to burn eternally in hell, Skippy. I said "disrespectful." this is my version of a slap on the wrist, as many people couldn't care less for respect. we all do it or have done it...i think it makes alot of sense--if you're doing it with the intent of eventually purchasing the album (a sort of "test drive", if you will). but, again, lets not fool ourselves into thinking that the quantity of people doing this makes it a-ok, dig? --kevin > > Farside > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990222214931.5330.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3s Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:49:30 PST Mad Midget wrote: >I think this whole mp3 thing is lame. 1. Obviously they want a >credit >card and I don't have one! Of course, snail mail checks don't count >as >money on the internet, how silly of me. I don't know about "obviously." Maybe they'll decide to allow checks and money orders, too. If not, I'm sure I can get someone to order the album for me (since I don't have a credit card, either). I still don't really like the idea of ordering by credit card over the Internet, however. >2. More old stuff! Don't get >me wrong, I loved STD, but where be studio album? Like I've said before, the Johns are human (as unfortunate as this news is to us fans). I'd love to see a new TMBG studio album, but They might just not have the resources to release one at this point. >And whoever is ruining the digest version is going to feel my wraith. Your wraith? Are you a necromancer, or what? >Does anybody have a clue as to get those eps(the Guitar, etc)? As I >mentioned above, I don't have a credit card, so e-bay is out. Forget about credit cards. If you're not incredibly stupid and/or rich, e-bay is out. From what I've heard, the prices that people often pay for items on there are ridiculous. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990222221258.6453.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Kids' album not official? Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:12:58 PST Misty wrote: >In most of the posts I've been reading lately, a lot of people have >been >saying that while TMBG's children's album will be coming out in the >spring, they won't release an official album until 2000. Well, why >isn't >the children's album an official album? It is going to be made by >They >Might Be Giants, and it's not going to be a compilation album. If that's your definition of an "official" album, then I suppose that the children's album is one. Other people might have different definitions of what an "official" album is. From what I've read in interviews, the Johns Themselves don't consider the children's album to be an "official" or "regular" album. Personally, I don't care all that much if it's "official," as long as it's good. As for whether the children's album will be released by They Might Be Giants, it presumably will be. I actually think that it would be a good idea for the Johns to release the album under a pseudonym (like XTC did with the Dukes of Stratosphear stuff). The Johns might not agree with me, though. >In my >mind, unless the album consists of covers of older children's songs, >it >is an official TMBG album. So you wouldn't count a cover album as an "official" album? A lot of bands release albums that consist entirely of covers, and they presumably still consider them to be "official." I sincerely hope that TMBG doesn't release an all-cover album, but I'd probably still consider it "official" if They did. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:21:39 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3s In a message dated 2/22/99 4:56:12 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >Forget about credit cards. If you're not incredibly stupid and/or rich, > >e-bay is out. From what I've heard, the prices that people often pay >for items on there are ridiculous. indeed. $71 for the same TMBG poster i got for free. but ebay's good for other things; like shiny green converse sneakers.. sarah ------------------------------ From: KoalaBeers@webtv.net (Dude Menes) Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:48:49 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: LOSERS!!! Message-ID: <6312-36D1DED1-499@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Shut yo ass up!!!!!!!!!!stop sending me mail!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: KoalaBeers@webtv.net (Dude Menes) Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:49:29 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Fwd: LOSER!!! Message-ID: <6311-36D1DEF9-550@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-1555799307-279 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit --WebTV-Mail-1555799307-279 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-103-1.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.104) by postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net; Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:43:18 -0800 (PST) Return-Path: Received: from mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net (mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net [209.240.199.89]) by mailsorter-103-1.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.gso.01Apr98) with ESMTP id OAA21086; Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:43:18 -0800 (PST) Received: (from production@localhost) by mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/mt.gso.26Feb98) id OAA00913; Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:43:17 -0800 (PST) X-WebTV-Signature: 1 ETAtAhRSPSae4CyySq5oNkabomxTxOsIIgIVAIa96tXE4fuc1amNDbQHYoaMOe94 From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:43:17 -0800 (PST) To: kOaLAbeERs@webtv.net Subject: LOSER!!! Message-ID: <6322-36D1DD85-125@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit MIME-Version: 1.0 (WebTV) You fool...you'll kill us all! --WebTV-Mail-1555799307-279-- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:47:25 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Cd's Message-ID: <19990222.190722.3550.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >What I need is a little advice. Compilations of the Hello CD's are >still >available. I can't shell out $120 for the whole deal right now, so I >ask >you, which should I buy first, from those of you who have them all? somebody throw this in the FAQ! 1993 is no longer available. Sure, they continue to advertise both 1993 and the "super monster pack" but NO, it's not available. And, if you send them all your money etc. you obviously weren't around in the days of hello. They are *extremely* slow and well... good luck. As far as what year to get? that's difficult they're all amazing... it'slike picking your favorite first lady. :D you'll be cool with whatever you pick, however, 1995 took a lil while to grow on me. perhaps 96... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <953c3da7.36d22d0f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:22:39 EST Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh Update we have a new entry in space # 17... looks like a hacker deal to me. heh. anyway, if you get bored, just keep voting and pressing 'back' and vote again etc. and don't worry about bothering with zips. it says zipcode *or* country. http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html The Person of the Century # Person % Tally 1 Jesus Christ 41.12 819686 2 Ric Flair 13.81 275287 3 Adolf Hitler 9.44 188227 4 John Flansburgh 8.36 166837 5 Prophet Mohammed 8.17 162965 6 Mohandas Gandhi 4.67 93131 7 Billy Graham 1.56 31188 8 Mustafa Kemal Ataturk 1.36 27298 9 Raven 1.09 21899 10 Pope John Paul II 0.84 16885 11 Kurt Cobain 0.72 14542 12 Ronald Reagan 0.71 14178 13 Albert Einstein 0.64 12864 14 Sarah McLachlan 0.62 12414 15 Winston Churchill 0.62 12412 16 Dr. William L. Pierce 0.57 11428 17 ||- (Korrupt Machine) 0.47 9524 18 Ryan Aurori 0.38 7736 19 Bill Gates 0.24 4827 20 Serdar Gokhan 0.21 4332 ~sarah now playing: sloan party cd "you're a bunch of english hooligans!" - tom green ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990223054346.12085.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Alex Pedraza" Subject: TMBG: Re: The flans Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:43:45 PST It's not that I don't like the Flans but what's the use in voting and voting and voting for him I've done it about a million times already and he hasn't moved up veyr much. Also I had a question about the Istanbul single is it very valuable? Cause at the TMBG concert in the coachouse last year I saw some chick with it and she got it signed by john and john ( i also got severe tire damage signed byt them but i doubt it's very valuable) Anyhoo, if anyone can tell me if it is very valuable or how much it would go for that would be cool. Thanks! -BeenASon5 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-23 ******************************