Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 27 Saturday, 27 February 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: The ULTIMATE tmbg reference Re: TMBG: Fingertips! Re: TMBG: Fingertips and Favorite Johns Re: TMBG: The ULTIMATE tmbg reference Re: TMBG: Fingertips! TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs TMBG: Favorite John Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs Re:TMBG: Fingertips and Favorite Johns Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs TMBG: Windows 95 stuff? Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songsand John Re: TMBG: Fingertips and Favorite Johns TMBG: Survey results are up! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <36D697FF.143A1624@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:47:59 -0500 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: The ULTIMATE tmbg reference Well, I know everyone is tired of tmbg references in pop culture, but I can't resist this one, it might even be of cosmic significance! Would you believe a tmbg reference in the book of Genesis? (that's in the bible, by the way): Gen 2:4 "... the heavens and the earth when *THEY* were created" Gen 12:19 " So I *MIGHT* have taken here to me to wife." Gen 1:3 " Let there *BE* light." Gen 6:4 "There were *GIANTS* in the earth in those days." Spooky, huh? They might be giants. Not only a great band, they're HOLY, too. bert np: Future Sound of London "Snake Hips" -- My homepage - now updated with even more boring photos and mindless tedium!: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36D6B207.3DC16DE2@sevenlands.com> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:39:03 -0500 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: TMBG: Fingertips! Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > > Out of curiosity, what part of fingertips does everyone believe makes the song > so great? Which little melody could the song not do without? My personal > fave is Mysterious Whisper, mostly cuz it bugs the hell out of my family. > Batbrain Definitely "what's that blue thing doing here?" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990226162954.13937.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Fingertips and Favorite Johns Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:29:54 PST eriKa f rae wrote: >a ha! here we go. Fingertips, eh? i like "I've Found a New Friend >Underneath My Pillow" and "Please Pass the Milk Please." they're >kinda >neat - very brief, but neat nonetheless. I also like "Please pass the milk," probably because of its odd sound. Other favourites in the Fingertips department include "Aren't you the guy?" and "I don't understand you." My least favourite Fingertip is "I walk along darkened corridors." It just drags on for too long. (Yes, I realize it's only a few seconds long, but it sometimes seems longer than that.) >also, a comment i noticed in a previous letter (i deleted it, so i >can't >put a Handy Dandy Sample of it here) made me think, does anyone, or >everyone, here have a specific John they prefer over the other? i >mean, i >like them both, but if i had to pick one... it'd probably be Linnell, >but not for any real reason beyond the fact that i tend to dig the >lanky, >enigmatic type of gentleman (see also: Ben Folds, Stephen Malkmus) >and >that he plays bari sax, and so do i, so it's something to admire. >now, >i've got nothing against Flans. he's a great guy, i'm sure. well, i'm >sure they're both nice. i don't even actually know either of them, so >where do i have room to judge. i'll just shut up now... I tend to prefer Linnell over Flansburgh, because John Sid's songs tend to be odder and more enigmatic (to use your word). I also think that Linnell is cuter, but that's hardly the determining factor in my decision. I would imagine that Linnell is the more popular John overall, if only because most of the band's relative "hits" ("Don't Let's Start," "Ana Ng," "Birdhouse In Your Soul," "Particle Man") were his work. Still, They're both great, and They work well together. >"Curtsey while you're thinking dear, it saves time." - the Queen of >Hearts That sounds more like the Red Queen than the Queen of Hearts. The Red Queen is the one who's obsessed with courtesy (rather than decapitation). -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: XTC, Drums and Wires ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990226163157.20614.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The ULTIMATE tmbg reference Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:31:57 PST Bert Rubini wrote: >Well, I know everyone is tired of tmbg references in pop >culture, but I can't resist this one, it might even be of >cosmic significance! Would you believe a tmbg reference in >the book of Genesis? (that's in the bible, by the way): > >Gen 2:4 "... the heavens and the earth when *THEY* were >created" >Gen 12:19 " So I *MIGHT* have taken here to me to wife." >Gen 1:3 " Let there *BE* light." >Gen 6:4 "There were *GIANTS* in the earth in those days." Hey! That same book mentions a great FLOOD! The writers of that book must have been TMBG fans. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:48:49 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Fingertips! Message-ID: On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > Out of curiosity, what part of fingertips does everyone believe makes > the song so great? Which little melody could the song not do without? > My personal fave is Mysterious Whisper, mostly cuz it bugs the hell out > of my family. #1: "i don't understand you." #2: "what's that blue thing doing here?" #3: "leave me alone, leave me alone." in that order. --jim kuemmerle, who dares you to come on and wreck his car... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:00:43 -0600 (CST) From: Tarsi Subject: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs Message-ID: On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > > > Out of curiosity, what part of fingertips does everyone believe makes > > the song so great? Which little melody could the song not do without? > > My personal fave is Mysterious Whisper, mostly cuz it bugs the hell out > > of my family. > > #1: "i don't understand you." > #2: "what's that blue thing doing here?" > #3: "leave me alone, leave me alone." > > in that order. I'd have to say "Darkened Corridors." I think that is a really cool way to end the series. But, of course, the whole thing was meant as small interjections on a shuffle-based system. Still cool. Tarsi 210 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36D6C52C.1499@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:00:44 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs I'm not too sure what my favorite fingertips are, but I've pondered this idea: an album, "Extended Fingertips", with all of them being normal length TMBG songs. I just always thought it would be kinda cool, like new material but not really. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36D6C831.7F@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:13:37 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: Favorite John I've always been a bigger Flans fan than a Linnell lover. I've never really pondered why...I guess cause Flans is more like myself: not exactly thin, generally happy-looking and friendly (as opposed to Linnell's more mysterious nature), and funny in that sort of way that he is, as opposed to Linnell's way (sorry it's hard to describe). Plus I'm just not exactly thrilled about exceptionally skinny people, even though Linnell isn't one, but he just seems really really skinny next to Flans and the Dans. But Linnell's songs do seem to be the more popular ones, and for some reason it always seems like he sings everything. But, Flans is coming up fast with "Working Undercover for the Man", which will probably be their next big song (at least Dr. Worm level). -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <26FEB99.16525585.0356.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:18:05 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs >> > Out of curiosity, what part of fingertips does everyone believe makes >> > the song so great? Which little melody could the song not do without? >> > My personal fave is Mysterious Whisper, mostly cuz it bugs the hell out >> > of my family. >> I've always liked "I'm Having a Heart Attack." I don't mean this to offend anyone who's had or knows someone who's had a heart attack or anything. I just think that the idea of somebody having a heart attack and then breaking into song about it is really funny. Also, "What's That Blue Thing Doing Here?" is so incredibly random (even in a song like Fingertips, which is rife with randomness), it's hilarious. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <26FEB99.16562820.0356.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:20:09 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs Sorry, I accidentally sent the e-mail before I finished it. One more thing......"I Don't Understand You" would make a great answering machine message. Misty ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:20:44 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re:TMBG: Fingertips and Favorite Johns Message-id: <36D7021B.6F77@wmich.edu> aahhhhhhhhh, FinGerTipS..... I love them all...... but mostly Please Pass the Milk, and I found a new friend underneath my pillow. But HeartAttack still makes me laugh.... i just can;t help but picture this guy in the middle of a heartattack, and he's just casually telling everyone aroundhim that he is having a heartattack..... heheheh...... uh yeah, and if I had to pick a John it would indeed be Linnell (and i just realized that i have the same taste as eriKa... wow) i have nothing against Flansie..... but Linnell strikes me as the dark mysterious fellow whom i only wish i knew personally..... okay that's all... buh-bye now ~Sarah "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36D6C5F3.15227AE2@osu.edu> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:04:06 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs K.C. wrote: > I'm not too sure what my favorite fingertips are, but I've pondered this > idea: > > an album, "Extended Fingertips", with all of them being normal length > TMBG songs. I just always thought it would be kinda cool, like new > material but not really. That's an interesting idea! I've always thought about what the song that each fingertip was from could be like. A lot of them seem kinda twisted, like, "Everything's Catching on Fire." I've always imagined this pyro who got out of hand, and is now singing a song with a similar mood as the song, "Turn Around," where the material in the song would be pretty morbid, but with a catchy, happy little tune. Everything around him would be burning and he would be liking it and describing it in his song. It seems like a lot of the fingertips could be about a person in an insane asylum...seeing blue things, seeing people standing in the window...stuff like that. I guess I think songs like that are cool. Like "Absolutely Bill's Mood." As for my favorite fingertip, I'd say it'd have to be "I hear the wind blow." I also really like "Please pass the milk," just because it's so unexpected and funny. Though I suppose ALL of the fingertips would fit that category. I remember in the FAQ there's something about an overall meaning of all the Fingertips? Like all the songs kind of correllate? Does anybody have any ideas about this? Sigh, this has probably been posted on the list before, but I'm fairly new, so bear with me... Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36991D3D000E2473@isosmtp2.viacom.com> (added by isosmtp2.viacom.com) From: "Haitkin, Meredith" Subject: TMBG: Windows 95 stuff? Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:24:00 -0500 I saw a link on some site about TMBG stuff for Windows 95 but the connection seemed to be wrong and I've not seen any other links or downloads like that. Does anyone know what this might be or where I might get it? Thanks so very much, kids. -Meri ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990226220002.7154.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:00:01 PST Diana Kocar wrote: >I remember in the FAQ there's something about an overall meaning of >all the >Fingertips? Like all the songs kind of correllate? Does anybody >have any >ideas about this? Sigh, this has probably been posted on the list >before, >but I'm fairly new, so bear with me... I'm not sure if it's in the FAQ or not, but the "official" explanation of "Fingertips" is that it's supposed to be like an advertisement for a collection of music, where snippets of certain songs are played. As for an overall meaning, someone once interpreted the song as a representation of life, from beginning to end. This interpretation really stretches in spots, though. It's available at tmbg.org. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <5ed7e91e.36d71bc2@aol.com> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:10:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songs In a message dated 2/26/99 3:21:40 PM, K4ZK@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU writes: >One more thing......"I Don't Understand You" would make a great >answering machine message. > >Misty i sometimes use fingertips as tape labels on mix tapes when i can't come up with a title. :) side a, you know.. it'll say "who's knocking on the wall?" and side b's label says "c'mon and wrck my car!" .. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <723f1298.36d71fb7@aol.com> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:27:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Fav Fingertips Songsand John Most of the Fingertips reminds me of some random line that was taken out of different Musicals. I think it would be neat to make a whole musical that contained all of the fingertips somewhere in it...hmm..something to do this summer.... My personal fav is probably the blue one or the heart attack one..Sometimes out of total randomness if one of my fellow TMBG loving friends dresses in all blue I''ll point to them and yell out in the middle of the hall "Whats that blue thing doing here!" Its fun to be random and get weird looks. My fav. John is Linnell...hard to explain why. I usually seem to go for Linnell type of guys (lanky, smart people) he just seems like he'd be an interesting person to talk to even if he is shy. Flans is cool in his own respect being a fellow guitarist myself I like his stage style..he's not boring at all.. -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:09:48 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Fingertips and Favorite Johns Message-ID: <19990226.180952.2790.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae >"Curtsey while you're thinking dear, it saves time." - the Queen of >Hearts >>That sounds more like the Red Queen than the Queen of Hearts. The Red Queen is the one who's obsessed with courtesy (rather than decapitation). well, my quote's from the Disney Cartoon Version, not the book, although you do indeed have a point. the Disney flick kinda blended both Alice's Adventures and Through the Looking Glass anyway. >>(and i just realized that i have the same taste as eriKa... wow) and damn good taste at that. as for anything about Fingertips, i have found this quote from a SPIN online interview with John Linnell, the question being: "so....where'd did the idea come from for that song on Apollo 18 with all the little songs on it like 'please pass the milk please'" and Linnell's answer was: "it was partly inspired by the ads for song collections that you here on late night TV hear." beat that with yer... FAQ... and... stuff. yeah. ever-sincere, eriKa, who digs that when people mention me on here, they spell my name "eriKa" and not "erika" even though it's actually spelled "erica." FUN FACT OF THE DAY: An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <010301be61f8$7f1ad080$3cbd9cce@mike> From: Mike Blaser Subject: TMBG: Survey results are up! Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:25:40 -0500 Well, I finally have the good 'ol list survey done...let me know if you have any problems viewing it or anything. http://members.xoom.com/revmaynard/tmbgsurvey/index.html ~Mike ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-27 ******************************