Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 5 Friday, 5 February 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics TMBG: List Survey Re: TMBG: ages Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics TMBG: TMBG 3rd most requested song of 1998 (on CD101) Re: TMBG: birthdays and stuff (plus a little question) TMBG: name switch TMBG: Westerville, a sad story :( TMBG: all kinds of stuff Re: non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) TMBG: Re: name switch TMBG: Re: List Survey TMBG: Re: List Survey Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics TMBG: Birthday List Re: TMBG: birthdays Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: TMBG: Birthday List Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff TMBG: I may be young, but I'm not ignorant (thanks Kirsten) Re: TMBG: Re: List Survey Re: TMBG: Re: List Survey TMBG: a web-station that might play tmbg (well, mono puff they do..) TMBG: WAIT wait wait wait wait wait!! Re: TMBG: a web-station that might play tmbg (well, mono puff they do..) TMBG: ages and 80's stuff Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) TMBG: I may be young, but I'm not ignorant (thanks Kirsten) -Reply TMBG: more about that ... YES tmbg content..! TMBG: Reworked Thread-That-Might-Have-Been TMBG: Q? about Sensurround Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) TMBG: all kinds of stuff TMBG: Engagement announcement... Re: TMBG: Birthday List Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff Re: NON-TMBG: Engagement announcement... TMBG: Inside information from The Hornblow Group! (TMBG's management) TMBG: Mail, and then some! Re: TMBG: Birthday List Non-TMBG: Martian Command Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:25:50 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics In a message dated 2/3/99 9:23:27 PM, wt3@cec.wustl.edu writes: >But Mike, if you're interested....go right ahead. I'm >curious to see how much things have changed myself. hey, whoever wants to compile a new census, post a questionairre on the newsgroup, and people can fill it out and reply to you but withOUT posting the replies to the list... we don't need that again.. ;) so, get crackin'! sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004701be4fe8$b9ebd500$3abd9cce@mike> From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:47:35 -0500 -----Original Message----- From: bill tatalovich To: TMBG Date: Wednesday, February 03, 1999 9:21 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics > >We didn't actually do another one...I had asked if people would like >another one, and I ended up with getting about ten "yes" responses. In a >list of about 450 people (again, relying on 1996 estimates), that wasn't >enough, in my opinion, to go through the shit involved in making another >survey happen. But Mike, if you're interested....go right ahead. I'm >curious to see how much things have changed myself. > Hmm maybe you're right. I was thinking we did another one, but I guess not. I guess I'll go ahead and make up a survey right now. I'll just use the same questions Rev used on his first one, unless anyone has any other suggestions. ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006101be4fec$7d5ee600$3abd9cce@mike> From: Mike Blaser Subject: TMBG: List Survey Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:14:24 -0500 Here's that survey thingy. I decided to add a favorite movie category, since it didn't seem right to have a TV show question without a movie question. Now people, reply to ME, not to the list so we don't clog it up with useless posts and get people complaining about it. I'll leave it open for a week or two, then it'll probably take another week or so to compile everything. So, three weeks at most. 1. What state are you from? Or, if you live outside the US, what country? 2. How old are you? 3. Your occupation? (or if you're a student, put student) 4. Favorite band? 5. Favorite author? 6. Favorite TV show? 7. Favorite movie? 8. Favorite TMBG album? 9. Favorite TMBG song? 10. Favorite comic strip? ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199902040316.WAA13448@pop.snet.net> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:11:42 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: ages [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:32:58 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics Message-ID: <19990203.203607.3470.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I'll just use >the same >questions Rev used on his first one, unless anyone has any other >suggestions. you could go all out... http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/me.html but the amount of time it takes to fill that thing out... erg. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 23:03:21 -0500 From: Bryce Durbin Subject: TMBG: TMBG 3rd most requested song of 1998 (on CD101) Message-id: <36B91C09.BD305048@uoft02.utoledo.edu> Organization: University of Toledo Check out www.cd101.com. At Columbus, OH's 101.1 fm (WWCD), "Doctor Worm" was the third most requested song of 1998, after Beastie Boys and Watershed. Pretty cool, I think. By the way, I went to the Otterbein show and I agree with other people that it was a really good one. I'd never seen Linnell yell so much stuff in between lyrics. And I was really happy to see the stick again. Bryce ex-lurker, no longer subscribing ------------------------------ From: Drizzt_DoUrden@att.net (Chris Cornell) Subject: Re: TMBG: birthdays and stuff (plus a little question) Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:11:29 GMT Organization: Godless Inc. Message-ID: <36b91d9d.21342501@mailhost.worldnet.att.net> I share a b-day (Nov 27) with Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Lee, and "Buffalo" Bob Smith who hosted Howdy Doody. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <95ff4b3f.36b94351@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:50:57 EST Subject: TMBG: name switch this is really cheezy, but i (formerly KdsInThHal@aol.com) am now going by this email address... Limezinger@aol.com just to not confuse anyone:) sarah (bored as hell...) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00a401be5011$c13b2ee0$3a26fdd0@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: TMBG: Westerville, a sad story :( Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 02:41:15 -0500 Well, I must say that I'm very jealous of all of you that got to go to the show last Friday. I was all set to go, until I got sick on Thursday. I hoped and prayed to all the gods known to man (and some that aren't) that I'd be feeling good enough the next day, but alas, it was not to be. Then as I read the list Friday and Saturday, I kicked myself a few good times for missing what seems to have been a kickass show! Oh sure, I could have made the drive from Toledo, but then a large crowd of people would tonsillitis, instead of just me. So if anyone got the show on tape, take pity on poor sick me and let me know! :) By the way, for whoever's keeping track I'm 23, born on July 28. 1975 and sharing my birthday with Beatrix Potter. Amy :) Come trade with me! http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/boots.html [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 00:37:52 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: all kinds of stuff Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > I heard on TMBG spy (for those of you who know the page) that Birdhouse > in your soul was supposed to be the theme for soe sitcom. They never > gave the title of the show though. So I don't know if it's already been > aired, and they decided to go without TMBG, or it's still yet to come. > It was like a year ago when I read this. me, > Dexburger I first heard this rumour years ago. As far as I know, it's a bit of TMBG-list folklore. :) > I have a question that is probably dumb.... > > Is the stuff on TMBG.com in the catalog from the info club? And if yes, do > they sell more than shown on the homepage in the info club? And again if > yes, how does one get a catalog. > > Thank you for your time, > > James Webb > jamweb@sendit.nodak.edu Hey James, welcome to the list! :) Be sure to check out the official unofficial page at www.tmbg.org . The short answer to your question is "yes and no". Now are you glad you asked? ;) Most of the items on tmbg.org are in the most recent Info Club catalog. That said, there are items on there (like the "summer baseball hat") that I don't remember seeing. To join the Info Club, sign up on the mailing list at a TMBG concert or send a letter to TMB Productions PO box 110535 Williamsburgh Station Brooklyn, NY 11211 > I'm 40 years old, but have found that the music of TMBG is > a veritable "Fountain of Youth". > > The secret is to play the 7" vinyl EP of "Older" backwards > on your turntable. You're younger than you've ever been, and now you're even younger? > Assuming that you have visited http://www.fruvous.com > and have seen their discography I would suggest > _You Will Go To the Moon_ for a studio album and > _Live Noise_ for a live album, which does a fairly good > job of capturing the live show (although it doesn't compare > to being there). I'd agree with Matt's choice of _Live Noise_, but for rank novices I usually recommend _Bargainville_ over _YWGTTM_. And _B_ and _Wood_ were re-released in the US by Bottom Line last October. Last I checked, even my local Tower had it. > By the way, you weren't the only one singing along. I was, and all the > people around me looked at me like I was some kind of freak I know the feeling... I was at a show last March where I was the only person singing along with They Got Lost. > Hi! Does anyone know the title of the album that the birdhouse song is > on? Hey, Nikki, welcome to the list! :) "Birdhouse In Your Soul" is on _Flood_, their third and best-known release. Or, if you prefer the scruffier live version, it's also on their latest, _Severe Tire Damage_. Have fun... > Thanks, Chad, for mentioning the concert in Dayton! What a coincidence that > they're coming near me just as I start to become interested in them. Alas, > I have no car to get me there. Bus? Train? Persuade a friend with a car to drive you both? (Could happen--I once got my best friend to come with me to a concert by a band that I'd never heard and she'd never even heard of.) > They don't really have a lead singer -- each of them sings lead on different > songs. In which song, may I ask, did the lead singer sound like Linnell to you? It probably wasn't Jian or Mike (fundamentally different-sounding voices from Linnell, methinks)... hmm... probably Dave. (I base this on sheer statistics--Dave sings far more songs than Murray.) > You 20 year old people are SO old. Harumph. Durn teeny-boppers. :) 20 is NOT old. > > 9. As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents. > Nope. 22 cents when I was a lass... and I think it'd just gone up and everyone was grumbling. If they only knew... > I remember most of it... I remember very well watching him win the 1984 > election (appropriate, eh?) and wondering why on earth he was so popular > (I still wonder) I have some memories of the Reagan/Mondale campaign... and I certainly remember his presidency. I also remember the 1984 Olympics. (Remember Mary Lou Retton, anyone? I do.) > well, technically speaking, we 1977 people have lived alongside it, too, > but it didn't become a news item until the late 1980s... I remember the early years of it... there was a lot of misinformation (even more than today). I remember my mother telling me that you could catch it from toilet seats and the like. > I remember when my parents bought me an Atari for Chanukah... I was so > happy... I played Adventure and Pac Man for days on end... then they > sold it when we got our Nintendo... the bastards... We *still* have our Atari. Every so often my sister and I haul it out and play Space Invaders. > > 16. They never heard the term "Where's the beef?" > man, I hate feeling this old. :) What?? You don't remember the Wendy's commercials with the two old ladies sternly demanding "Where's the beef?" *I* remember those, and I didn't watch much TV (Square One excepted). > here's another one - who here has had a microwave oven for as long as > they can remember? (I remember when we got our first one - no digital > keypad... this big huge bulky thing) not to mention home computers... My family has had a microwave oven for as long as I can remember. Also computers and a CD player. (I grew up in Silicon Valley, where people like their techie toys. I got my first computer as a wee lass. An Apple IIc.) I remember when modems were still a novelty (my father has a a 300 baud modem in the basement), a 286 was the latest and greatest, 4 MB of RAM was considered massively excessive, and sound cards were exotic and hard to find. Ahh, the memories. Actual TMBG content: Does anyone have the lyrics to "Finished With Lies"? They're not on tmbg.org. --nicole the wonder nerd ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 02:38:16 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36B95C77.783C34A@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > my favourite is still the rubix cube. mm.. my mom tells me stories of how i > used to pick off the stickers and re-stick them to make it look like i solved > it. I think most anyone who's ever tried to solve a rubix cube resorts to such actions sooner or later. :) Stephen Hawking himself would admit to it under duress! ^_^ Sticking with the subject, being born in '79, I recall listening to vinyls quite a bit in my younger days (There's a line I won't say for another 20 years :). And there was always an 8-track in the basement, right next to the Sound of Music Earmuffs (j/k). Mork and Mindy WAS on Nick at Nite, though I saw far too few episodes to recall anything substantial. And I'll close with the lowest price I can think of stamps being (I was a collector at one point... And a sad time that was ;). I recall around 1988 they raised the price from 25 cents to 29 cents. And I think they might have been 22 cents at some point just prior to that, though that goes into the realm of speculation. And finally, because this is TMBG list and no one else has mentioned "I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die," please allow me to mention "I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die." Thank you :P bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "What about Coleco?! Hang on to your Miner 2049er!" Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html If only I actually did some reading on HTML :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 02:49:17 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36B95F0D.CC549214@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: name switch LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > this is really cheezy, but i (formerly KdsInThHal@aol.com) am now going by > this email address... Limezinger@aol.com > > just to not confuse anyone:) Whew! It's a good thing I got my TMBG.org address, or else there could be too many citrus-based emails on the list. I could just see the progression: orange-watermelontango@hotmail.com, potatoboy@zdnetmail.com... Actually, that's not a citrus fruit at all! Not even a fruit! I'll just shut up already :P bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "And I really liked the lemoncurry adress, too..." Scott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 03:01:50 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36B961FD.7BD3CA95@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: List Survey Because I understand that this survey is best completed without clutter, I'll leave out any of the remarks I usually would place at the end of any given answer. (i.e.: Under What State are you from, I would type Nebraska [or some facsimile thereof] instead of just the state name. I hope that this helps to not distract you, as any extra letters, words, graphics, animations, pirates, etc. might. I look forward to seeing the results, and would personally like to say thank you for taking the time to find the answers to these questions which I'm sure many TMBG Listers are wondering about. Sorry about the questions I posted dual answers to, but I just want to be sure that the whole opinion is conveyed. Mike Blaser wrote: > 1. What state are you from? Or, if you live outside the US, what country? Nebraska > > 2. How old are you? 19 > > 3. Your occupation? (or if you're a student, put student) Student/Writer > > 4. Favorite band? They Might Be Giants! :P > > 5. Favorite author? Carl Sagan (Nonfiction) / Douglas Adams (Fiction) > > 6. Favorite TV show? (Of all times): Monty Python's Flying Circus; (Currently airing): Mystery Science Theater 3000 > > 7. Favorite movie? Tie between "Braveheart" and "Barry Lyndon" > > 8. Favorite TMBG album? Apollo 18 > > 9. Favorite TMBG song? Turn Around > > 10. Favorite comic strip? Red Meat ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 03:33:32 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36B9696C.DA38E054@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: List Survey Um, please don't damn my eternal soul to hell for this. It is not some sort of joke or anything... I could have sworn I clicked on 'reply to sender...' It won't happen again. bosbcott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Recoiling from the shock of logging on and seeing the message posted for all eyes to see... So much for secret ballot, not that I care! My secrets are but fodder to the oatmeal chompers of the world!" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36B96F2E.C3B3C318@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 02:58:09 -0700 From: Gary Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg list demographics From: bill tatalovich wrote: >Yes, we did indeed do that. Back in late '96/early '97, I did a survey >and put the results (complete with highly simplified statistical analysis >of those results) on a web page. I still haven't taken it down, >actually...the URL is http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html. YOU made that page? I remember it well. It was extremely well done. If you do another survey count me in. If only 10 people agree to particapate this time, I'll keep posting to remind/bug everyone else till they cooperate. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 02:50:31 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Birthday List Message-ID: <29082-36B97B77-336@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Okay, thanks to all of you who submitted their birthdays. I'll do something special when you day comes around, I'm pretty sure there's still some list members out there who haven't given me there birthdays yet, but that's cool, you don't have to. But if you do, please post the year you were born in, too. And for those of you who's birthdays I have (I'm going to write a list in a few seconds), please send the year you were born to ME PERSONALLY, so that I can ake sure that I did the math right. I have the birthdays of the following members: Kevin Keeler Dexter Flansburgh Jennifer (Pulpstress) Sarah Jay (RabbiVote) Adam Tyner Derek Kline Nick "Refund" Wolf Jen Jason Fickley Bob Scott Mindy Howie Chris "Feeny" Campbell Karyn M. Majetich Danielle Gaither Happy Cow Lawrence P. Solomon Diana Kocar Chris Cornell Sarah Faye Samantha Bob Gonsalves Jason Arnold TDK Spencer Owen Talcott Starr Ben Bradshaw ---------------------------Okay that's it. Remeber, if your name was mentioned up there, send me the year of your birth, and nothig else. Dexburger ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:01:55 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: birthdays My birthday is the 26 November. Any of you clever people like to tell me (and not necessarily the whole list!!!) who I share a birthday with - and where I can find this sort of information. Thanks Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:49:03 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-Feb-99 TMBG: all kinds of stuff by Nicole Carlson@ucdavis.e > What?? You don't remember the Wendy's commercials with the two old ladies > sternly demanding "Where's the beef?" *I* remember those, and I didn't > watch much TV (Square One excepted). no, I do remember it. that's why I feel so old. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36B9B4FE.647EA5E0@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:55:58 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > 1. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era. > > I remember most of it... I remember very well watching him win the 1984 > election (appropriate, eh?) and wondering why on earth he was so popular > (I still wonder) Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro! Oh yeah! But Reagan made for good jokin' and I wasn't old enough to see how he was screwing up the country *grin* > > > 5. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums > > I remember when my parents bought me an Atari for Chanukah... I was so > happy... I played Adventure and Pac Man for days on end... then they > sold it when we got our Nintendo... the bastards... Mmmm.... Atari. I loved Indiana Jones and ET. Much better than Stampede. Adventure rocked too (my favorite was that you could pick up the bridge the same as the key *grin*). > And I grew upu on vinyl. I had an automatic record player in my room, > so I would go to sleep to a record every night. I still have more records than I do tapes... > > 6. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. > > I heard that at least once a week from parents, teachers, and friends. Lawrence, that's really funny. All you listies that blazed right over that great line need to reread it and see just how funny it is. > > 8. The digital Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old. > > Seriously? We didn't get our first CD player until 1987... I remember > buying albums on tape, though... > > > 15. They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. > > He was from the planet Ork. Duh. And he was played by Robin Williams. Don't forget Mindy, Pam Dauber. And wonderful guest appearances by people like Jonathan Winters! And if you ever get the trivia question, Mork & Mindy was set in Boulder Colorado. And no, I don't know how many horses they owned... > here's another one - who here has had a microwave oven for as long as > they can remember? (I remember when we got our first one - no digital > keypad... this big huge bulky thing) not to mention home computers... Oh man, our first VCS (it was beta and we bought it at some electronics tradeshow in St. Louis) was huge. It had big clicky buttons on the top, top loaded, and had analog buttons for channel switching. Pretty neat. Of course we've been talking about Dangermouse and Count Duckula and some old-school TV on alt.music.moxy-fruvous lately[1] *grin* - Chad PS My favorite comic was Goats. If you don't read Goats, get your butt to http://www.goats.com and partake of the archive function. [1] Well, that and books. A whole lot of books. ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <64c42028.36b9bbee@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:25:34 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Birthday List In a message dated 99-02-04 05:50:58 EST, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: << Jay (RabbiVote) >> rabbi vole, dammit. i play the solos, not the synagogues, 'member? ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:41:06 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Nicole Carlson wrote: > I'd agree with Matt's choice of _Live Noise_, but for rank novices I > usually recommend _Bargainville_ over _YWGTTM_. Y'know, it's funny how stuff on this list intersects with real life. I was just sitting there last night, thinking "Gee, I should get some Fruvous..." when my friend Alana Banana came over, bringing her new Life Noise cd that she got when she saw them in Ann Arbor last week. She let me borrow it, and I am in love! :) Although I gotta admit, I was the most excited when they went into "Psycho Killer." And an awesome version, as well. But it's a very good cd, and one I might have to buy officially. But count me among the fans on the List, now... Kirsten (who also got to watch her Boy juggle fire last night, so it was a very eye-opening night...) "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 08:08:37 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: I may be young, but I'm not ignorant (thanks Kirsten) I'm 14, but I ain't stupid. I'll have to do the same as Kirsten (and thanks for unknowingly letting me steal your format): > 1. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era. This may be true, but I have significant knowledge of the Iran-Contra Scandal, enough to form an educated opinion. For example, I know that it's WAY worse than anything going on today. (I don't want to start a thread about Monicagate, however, so please...whatever you do...) > 5. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums I played Atari, some of the time. My friend had an Atari computer. Also, I have just recently bought an album by Built to Spill on vinyl, which I listen to extremely frequently. > 6. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. I use this expression as part of my regular vocabulary. > 7. They may have heard of an 8-track, but chances are they probably have > never actually seen or heard one. I actually have seen one. I actually have seen a collection. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a PLAYER that works... (No, I don't own any.) > 9. As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents. I can EASILY recollect when they were 29 cents, and by the way, they're 33 now. > 10. They have always had an answering machine. I don't remember a time when I didn't, but this may or may not be true. > 11. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels. We used to have a set with only 13 channels. > 15. They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. Mork from Ork? Man, I love that guy! Oh, and that chemistry between Pam and Robin was awesome. (!) :) > 16. They never heard the term "Where's the beef?" Of course I have, they still have commercials. However, like Kirsten, I don't get it... ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <6ddbc25.36b9c5b4@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:07:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: List Survey Mike Blaser wrote: > 1. What state are you from? Or, if you live outside the US, what country? California (Los Angeles area - North Hollywood to be specific) > 2. How old are you? 23 (but I'll be 24 in 8 days) > 3. Your occupation? (or if you're a student, put student) currently unemployed > 4. Favorite band? R.E.M. (TMBG are in the top 10, though...somewhere around #6 or so) > 5. Favorite author? Margarat Atwood > 6. Favorite TV show? Frasier, News Radio, ER, Dharma & Greg, Win Ben Stein's Money (on which I may be a contestant soon), Kids in the Hall, Golden Girls, Ellen, M*A*S*H, Monty Python's Flying Circus, MST3K > 7. Favorite movie? Lion in Winter > 8. Favorite TMBG album? Lincoln > 9. Favorite TMBG song? ooh..that's a toughie... either Cowton or Shoehorn with Teeth > 10. Favorite comic strip? The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield jennifer ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <39a2d783.36b9c609@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:08:41 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: List Survey In a message dated 99-02-04 04:34:22 EST, bobscott@tmbg.org writes: << Um, please don't damn my eternal soul to hell for this. It is not some sort of joke or anything... I could have sworn I clicked on 'reply to sender...' It won't happen again. >> Oops! I did the same thing!!!!! I didn't know it was meant to be a private thingy.... umm..and I don't know the address of the person who started it....could someone forward my message to that person? Umm..could you do it, Bob? Since I think I sent my responces to you as well as the list. jennifer ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <6b46b0c5.36b9c8f0@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:21:04 EST Subject: TMBG: a web-station that might play tmbg (well, mono puff they do..) doooooooooooodes and dooooooooodettes.. i found this: http://www.gogaga.com/ ....it's unbeliveable. fed up with radio? go there.. no this is not a paid advertisement. it's really good. to make this relevant, i was perusing their top 50 lists, and mono puff was in july's. so there. sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:22:38 EST Subject: TMBG: WAIT wait wait wait wait wait!! what i just sent.. well NOW they're playing "twisting" from "we might be giants too" .. hah hah! i emailed to ask if they had any tmbg, and i got this back: >> Thanks for your message earlier. We're thrilled you found us and that you enjoy what you're hearing. As for TMBG, I'm sure we must have some somewhere, but hopefully you'll enjoy this disc we just got the other day "We Might Be Giants, Too" the second volume of a TMBG tribute covers album. It's pretty special, to be sure. I'll try to select an interesting track from it. >> how funny... sarah!!!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36B9CBCF.B1EFE6EC@pop.drake.edu> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 10:33:19 -0600 From: Jason Arnold Organization: Drake Subject: Re: TMBG: a web-station that might play tmbg (well, mono puff they do..) That's a preset station in Real Player G2. Just thought I would mention it. LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > doooooooooooodes and dooooooooodettes.. > > i found this: > > http://www.gogaga.com/ > > ....it's unbeliveable. fed up with radio? go there.. no this is not a paid > advertisement. it's really good. > > to make this relevant, i was perusing their top 50 lists, and mono puff was in > july's. so there. > > sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990204170444.17051.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike Jones" Subject: TMBG: ages and 80's stuff Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:04:42 PST Well, I just subscribed to this here spiffy list around last week and would dig filling out a survey. I was born on July 20th, 1980 making me all of 18. Rock the vote. I share my b-day with a bunch of people you've never heard of: Natalie Wood, Sir Edmund Hilary, Carlos Santana(well, maybe him), and my b-day is independence day in Colombia I think. 11 years before, the astronauts landed on the moon on my b-day. Actually, I remember Reagan's last speech to the people. I played Atari(ET sucked worse than the movie did). I remember when we got our microwave. I'm not stupid, I know what a broken record sounds like. I know what "where's the beef?" means, but I think of it as history and not personal experience. I DO TOO remember the Persian Gulf. And how about this: I remember when the attempted coup in the Soviet Union happened. Beat that Mr. Holier-than-Thou. Forgive my ignorance but just who the hell are Sifl and Olly? Sounds like Beanie and Cecil or something. Keep up the good work, Mike PS I also get digest, and sometimes it does get all screwy towards the end. I think it's unfair to pin down Dexburger, though. Maybe errors in the packaging or something? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:44:41 -0700 Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Message-ID: <19990204.104445.3502.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >And if you ever get the trivia question, >Mork & Mindy was set in Boulder Colorado. And no, I don't know how >many horses they owned... i have nothing more to say than... HEY NOW!!! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::upcoming shows (through 2/25): Reel Big Fish, Cake, Everclear, Soul Coughing, DJ Spooky, Redman, Long Beach Dub All Stars, Everlast, 2 Skinnee J's, and Sugar Ray::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:18:52 +0000 Subject: TMBG: I may be young, but I'm not ignorant (thanks Kirsten) -Reply >>> "SOwen@windwardschool.org" 4/February/1999 03:47pm >>> I'm 14, but I ain't stupid. I'll have to do the same as Kirsten (and thanks for unknowingly letting me steal your format): > 1. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era. This may be true, but I have significant knowledge of the Iran-Contra Scandal, enough to form an educated opinion. For example, I know that it's WAY worse than anything going on today. (I don't want to start a thread about Monicagate, howeve r, so please...whatever you do...) Well it isn't a thread but if you think Reagan was bad you should study your (American that is!) politics at the time of Watergate. What Nixon was doing was truly frightening. Richard ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <8f2da625.36b9e2a4@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:10:44 EST Subject: TMBG: more about that ... YES tmbg content..! ::giggle:: well, i was just at lunch, i come back and look at the current gogaga playlist, and i see: Various Artists Musica Ficta - Dead We Might Be Giants, Too! TMBG i just missed it. wow. that url again? http://www.gogaga.com sarah :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 10:33:33 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Reworked Thread-That-Might-Have-Been I noticed an interesting thread-that-might-have-been. It was the way that people make mix tapes, so unexpectedly, they would come up with these genius segues. I started a mix tape and I immediately noticed this. I will give you examples. Try to listen to these songs in these orders and you'll see what I mean. Tell me your opinion because to me, they all mesh really well. 1) First Kiss, Boat of Car, Mainstream U.S.A., Stomp Box 2) (my favorite) Birds Fly, STD Theme, She's Actual Size, Hot Cha, About Me 3) Mr. Me, Women and Men, Weep Day, If I Wasn't Shy 4) Minimum Wage, Exquisite Dead Guy, Toddler Hiway 5) Token Back to Brooklyn, Window, Letterbox, Space Suit Again, let me know what you think. I'll be coming up with more later. --Spencer, who was uncomfortable, and now he's uncomfortable ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:18:27 EST Subject: TMBG: Q? about Sensurround Okay, first off, Sensurround is one of the most asskicking TMBG songs ever... on the SEXXY version... what is being sung as the backing vocals? I can't make it out! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:44:54 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Chad Maloney wrote: i don't know who wrote that stupid list originally, but i think we can safely discount the whole damn thing. i got it a few months ago from arwen, and thought about writing a point-by-point rebuttal the way kirsten did, but i just didn't have enough time. (yay kirsten!) :) > > > 6. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to > > > them. > > > > I heard that at least once a week from parents, teachers, and friends. > > Lawrence, that's really funny. All you listies that blazed right over > that great line need to reread it and see just how funny it is. i was wondering when somebody would mention that! if only it had read "stick" instead of "sound"... (sigh...) > Don't forget Mindy, Pam Dauber. And wonderful guest appearances by > people like Jonathan Winters! as mork's offspring, no less... --jim kuemmerle, who somehow has trouble considering "dangermouse" and "duckula" as old-school tv when there are things like, say, ed sullivan or the honeymooners around... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:56:32 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: all kinds of stuff Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Nicole Carlson wrote: > Bus? Train? boat of car? > I have some memories of the Reagan/Mondale campaign... and I certainly > remember his presidency. I also remember the 1984 Olympics. (Remember > Mary Lou Retton, anyone? I do.) i definitely remember mary lou. i also remember walking around the playground during 1st grade and singing political jingles of my own invention to the tunes of christmas carols. never mind the fact that i knew nothing about the actual issues. :) --jim kuemmerle, who considers the phrase "star wars generation" to be the most accurate and fitting description of his age group... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003801be509b$16e964e0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Engagement announcement... Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:04:22 -0700 A few days ago, when I posted my birthday and age, I also asked if there was anyone out in the vast wilderness of that which is known as the Internet who would marry me. Much to my surprise, I actually got an answer! So, it is with no shortage of happiness that I hereby announce to the List that Amanda Heggen and I are engaged to be married. :0) You should all send us gifts and stuff! Signed, Nick Wolf, soon to be married TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. The effect? I'll tell you what the effect is! It's pissing me off! Ghostbusters, the Movie. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199902050059.TAA12981@pop.snet.net> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 19:55:04 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Birthday List [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <62ce2afb.36ba431a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:02:18 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff In a message dated 99-02-04 20:00:30 EST, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: > --jim kuemmerle, who considers the phrase "star wars generation" to be the > most accurate and fitting description of his age group... I'll fight that. Everyone born in or after 1978/9 is the Nintendo Generation. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990205013502.22362.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:35:01 PST Jim Kuemmerle wrote: >--jim kuemmerle, who considers the phrase "star wars generation" to >be the >most accurate and fitting description of his age group... In reference to the George Lucas film, or the Ronald Reagan satellite project? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990205013734.2514.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Engagement announcement... Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:37:34 PST Refund wrote: >A few days ago, when I posted my birthday and age, I also asked if >there was >anyone out in the vast wilderness of that which is known as the >Internet who >would marry me. Much to my surprise, I actually got an answer! I wonder if that would work for me. Eh, even if it did, they'd probably call it off as soon as they actually met me. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:49:08 -0500 From: TDK Message-ID: <36BA4E13.63AAA071@cybercomm.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Inside information from The Hornblow Group! (TMBG's management) Hey, I finally got Pat Dillett to cough up a phone number for Hornblow, and the nice gentleman I spoke to gave up some cool info on the Johns: 1) They might play a show on 3/11/99 at Kutztown University in PA. 2) They will start recording the children's album in March and it will be released on Rounder Records in the fall. 3) Ok, this one is not so cool: He says They will not release a regular studio album in '99. :( 4) John and John will make a regular appearance on a new ABC show this summer, which is somehow related to Nightline. 5) John Linnell might release State Songs on Rounder Records. Does this include new songs? I didn't ask. :( 6) And best of all, I might get to interview the Johns on 3/4/99 at the next TMBG show I am attending (Electric Factory, Philadelphia). I just bought my tix. I am waiting on confirmation that I can do this. Thats about it. I will let you know if I get more details or info. Ciao! -Mike ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <4996b791.36ba5fbe@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:04:30 EST Subject: TMBG: Mail, and then some! Congratulations! I'll have each of you know that I just deleted a heck lot of junk mail bearing the TMBG likeness, and may have in face deleted some important mail. Don't get me wrong, I think many threads are funny, and i always read and contribute to them. But what's with this whole age/birthday thing? I don't care about people's ages and birthdays! After reading a few, I got really annoyed and practically deleted everything. I may have deleted some friends e-mail (its happened before) or deleted an actually important TMBG related mail! I didn't mind the converse thing a while back, but this is going too far! ~Bat "16, july 5 1982" Brain ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <6e0ad745.36ba658b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:29:15 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Birthday List In a message dated 99-02-04 22:09:59 EST, linnel@snet.net writes: << he bitches about something, then ends with: peace, love, and good happiness stuff, interesting... : ) >> i was just teasing. ;) the devil made me do it--he and the diet coke cans out back which kept me up all night singing "henry the eighth," because they're unhappy with ken starr's performance as xylophonist in the cincinnati pops orchestra. which is unfortunate, because that's why i was teasing. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, jen's groupee ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990205050929.01289f28@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:09:29 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Martian Command Go see the movie Rushmore now. And if you haven't seen the movie Bottle Rocket, rent it. That is all. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-5 *****************************