Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 7 Sunday, 7 February 1999 Today's Topics: Non TMBG: CATS Re: TMBG: Fun Question TMBG: Tmbg Posters TMBG: Mondegreens Re: Non TMBG: CATS TMBG: 92.6% Off Topic: "Rushmore" TMBG: What About Bob? Was:Re: 92.6% Off Topic: "Rushmore" Re: NON TMBG: MP3's Re: Non TMBG: CATS Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) Re: TMBG: Fun Questions Re: Non-TMBG: BFF, Fear of Pop, Flansburgh, ect. Re: Non-TMBG: BFF, Fear of Pop, Flansburgh, etc. Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: No longer TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) NON-TMBG: why won't glam rock just DIE??? Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: No longer TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) Non-TMBG: Oregon Trail Killing Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: No longer TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) Re: TMBG: Fun Questions Re: Non TMBG: CATS Re: Non-TMBG: BFF, Fear of Pop, Flansburgh, etc. Re: Non-TMBG: BFF, Fear of Pop, Flansburgh, etc. Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff (literally) Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: TMBG: Fun Question Non:TMBG:firstComputers TMBG: non:tmbg:computers again Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: TMBG: Re: Birthday Buddies Re: Non TMBG: CATS Re: TMBG: A Quick Question from JH NON-TMBG: new radicals TMBG: Miscellaneous T Re: TMBG: Miscellaneous T Re: TMBG: Fun Question Re: No longer TMBG: Miscellaneous T Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Re: Non TMBG: CATS Re: TMBG: Fun Question Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 01:53:06 -0500 Subject: Non TMBG: CATS Message-ID: <19990206.015318.-187113.9.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Seeing as listees have a lot in common, what are your oppinions of the Broadway Show of Cats? Idiot Club? Or strangely attractive? Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 01:39:36 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BBF1B8.E95317B0@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Fun Question Adam Tyner wrote: > If the songs on the album were normal were normal, but there was a sticker > on the jewel case saying "A percentage of this album's profits will be used > to benefit [insert name of cause you strongly oppose]", would you still buy > the CD? This would be a dilemma. If a portion of the money I spent on the CD was to go to 'Beating Baby Seals With Bags Full of Money, Inc.', I'd probably have to pass it up. But I'm sure someone would put it up on ebay sooner or later, and like buying it in a used bin, no money would go to 'Eaters of the Dead, Co.' bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Actually, Eaters of the Dead is a shoehorn company... The kind with teeth!!! :P" Scott ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: <6f607489.36bbf496@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 02:51:50 EST Subject: TMBG: Tmbg Posters Hello All, I don't know if any of you are bidding on the poster up for auction on Ebay, but the price is up to like $41.00 or something when i checked last!!!! Just to let all of you know, you can buy the same exact poster for $15.95 at: http://www.photowrld.com/pics2/giantmp.jpg so don't waste your money!!!! Later, Athena~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <02ed01be51ad$b0a136e0$7e25fad0@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: TMBG: Mondegreens Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 03:50:02 -0500 I have (finally!) updated my mondegreen page, so those of you who happen to like that sort of thing should check it out. And if you don't like that sort of thing, you should still browse through it, if only to get a chuckle. http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/TMBGreen.html Amy :) Come trade with me! http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/boots.html [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 03:57:29 EST Subject: Re: Non TMBG: CATS In a message dated 99-02-06 02:10:54 EST, gray42@juno.com writes: << Seeing as listees have a lot in common, what are your oppinions of the Broadway Show of Cats? >> I found it boring and silly. Not one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's finest. jennifer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BBF979.3735F193@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 01:12:53 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: 92.6% Off Topic: "Rushmore" Mitchell Harding wrote: > Go see the movie Rushmore now. > > And if you haven't seen the movie Bottle Rocket, rent it. I agree on Rushmore! Normally, I wouldn't clutter the list with movie recommendations but I suspect the type of person who likes TMBG would like this unique, off-beat film. (And I'll rent Bottle Rocket.) -B O N G O "With friends like these, who needs friends?" -Dirk Calloway, Rushmore Academy ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 03:36:25 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BC0D19.DB40BC85@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: What About Bob? Was:Re: 92.6% Off Topic: "Rushmore" Bongo wrote: > I agree on Rushmore! Normally, I wouldn't clutter the list with movie recommendations > but I suspect the type of person who likes TMBG would like this unique, off-beat film. Okay, silly subject line, I'll admit, but this is a serious message. If I'm correct, Feb. 5th is also the opening night for another movie which I think quite a few TMBG fans might like. Normally, I wouldn't go mentioning movies I haven't seen, but this time I have reason to believe that one movie may just be one of the greatest movies of the year (I'm leaving my 'greatest movie of the year' spot open for Eyes Wide Shut). I'm not gonna say anything about Rushmore, since I haven't seen it, but I've gotten to mention Roberto Benigni's movie 'Life is Beautiful'. I haven't personally seen it, but I have seen 3 other films which he starred in. So if you see one movie this weekend, listen to the other listies and see Rushmore. But if you've got some extra money and wanna go for a double feature, go see Life Is Beautiful. You'll thank me... Or hate me, but who's counting? bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Oh, are they?" Scott ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 08:13:07 EST Subject: Re: NON TMBG: MP3's In a message dated 2/5/99 11:29:11 PM, gray42@juno.com writes: >Ummm... I need an exact URL for finding a FREE mp3 player. I've been >really frustrated with Real Audio for never playing any file after the >first second, and am hoping that MP3's will treat me better :} if you're like myself with a lovely macintosh: http://www.macamp.com if you're not: http://www.winamp.com sarah np: bran van 3000, "glee" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206144836.29445.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: CATS Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 09:48:36 EST >Seeing as listees have a lot in common, what are your oppinions of the >Broadway Show of Cats? > >Idiot Club? > >Or strangely attractive? > >Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) >"Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" >--Das Hooded Rat I love T.S.Eliot, and Cats is a good show, but the video sucks, and it's not the best thing Weber wrote, and memory was written by the directer and it sucks! Ian ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206155601.28519.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 07:56:01 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) ---Claire V Gray wrote: > 5th grade: Number Crunchers, Oregon Trail, and that one game where fish > would eat each other. > Yes! I think that Number Munchers and Oregon trail have to be the defining factors of our mid-late 80s childhood. I'm willing to bet that everyone here (well, at least the 15-20yr olds) remember making sure to place names of people they didn't like in their Oregon Trail party. Still nothing beats the cruel joy of seeing " has died of disentary" Blaring on the computer screen. Also who else remembers playing in teems and fighting over who's turn it was to go hunting. Ah yes, I clearly remember in 5th grade, when my parents bought our first home PC. I was very disapointed that they got a 386 that couldn't run anything, instead of one of the wonderful Apple IIe's we had at school. ;) - == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BC67DD.F9271927@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 11:03:41 -0500 From: Feeny aka Chris Campbell Subject: Re: TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) Speaking of posters, Did the Lincoln poster ever sell out? I orderd it in Nov, And I only got like 60% of my stuff, and they only credited me for a small amount... Argh- Well I'll find a way to straighten it out. When is Direct from Brooklyn gonna arrive on all of our doorsteps? One other thing- Where is that TMBG Quake Plug-in???? I wanna try it! John Henry Hyper Card Stack? Anyone? -On my way to the Jazzzzzzz Festival today! (Anyone from maine going to this?) - Feeny, aka Christopher Feeny Campbell -- Feeny@tmbg.org --- Http://w3.to/tmbg ---- "Calling you the nicest things"-they MIGHT BE giants (She's an Angel) "Helms-A-Lee boy, I'm coming about. Dont fill me in on right or wrong" -Moxy Fruvous (Present Tense Tureen) "Nah, Nah Nah Nah, HEY! Nah Nah Nah Nah" -Homer Simpson (The Hey Song) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 09:03:09 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Fun Questions Message-ID: On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Claire V Gray wrote: > If They Might Be Giants did an album where all the songs were a form of > taboo, would you still get the album? i'm not sure i follow the question; do you mean something along the lines of: TRACK LIST: 1. beating baby seals over the head with a bag o' money (sorry, bob) 2. crack, crack, crack (sorry, laura) 3. EEK! NAZIS! EEK! (sorry, mike) etc., etc....? then adam posited: > If the songs on the album were normal were normal, but there was a > sticker on the jewel case saying "A percentage of this album's profits > will be used to benefit [insert name of cause you strongly oppose]", > would you still buy the CD? (1) if it were TMBG's album, i would buy the CD regardless, although maybe i'd get it used. (2) if it were *not* TMBG (some totally unrelated band or compilation of bands) and the music was *normal*, i probably would not buy the CD at all. (3) if it were *not* TMBG and the music was *good*, i would likely buy it used if i could get a good deal on it. (4) if the music was *great*, i might get converted to their cause. ;) (just kidding) --jim kuemmerle, for whom it is too early in the morning to have an original thought... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206161614.24593.rocketmail@web305.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 08:16:14 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: BFF, Fear of Pop, Flansburgh, ect. ---e f rae wrote: > the John listed on "Interlude" is John Mark Painter from the duo Fleming > & John, who has been friends with Ben Folds Five for several years. i've > heard about Flansburgh allegedly being involved with Fear of Pop, but, as > far as i know, he's nowhere to be found, unless he is uncredited. i'm a > devoted follower of the Entity Known As Ben Folds (the Five led me to > find TMBG) and have yet to find anything in which Ben says he's worked > with Senor Flansburgh. i shall continue to keep an Ever-Watchful Eye out > until this mystery is solved. > Well Flans did direct the Song for the Dumped video, which I've only been privileged to see once. I'm planing on getting into BFF, if I can only get one album at a time which one should I get? == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BC2A46.FD02B08@osu.edu> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 11:40:55 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: BFF, Fear of Pop, Flansburgh, etc. > > Well Flans did direct the Song for the Dumped video, which I've only > been privileged to see once. I'm planing on getting into BFF, if I can > only get one album at a time which one should I get? Well, I'm a big BFF fan, and my personal favorite album is their first, self-titled album (and one of my favorite CDs I own). It has great songs like "Philosophy" and "Boxing" (an absolute masterpiece). Their second album is probably a little more sophisticated, and has such radio favorites as "Brick" and "Whatever and Ever Amen." So, either one is an excellent choice I'd say. Have fun with BFF! They are awesome. :-) Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206175748.2496.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 09:57:47 PST Talcott Starr wrote: > Yes! I think that Number Munchers and Oregon trail have to be the >defining factors of our mid-late 80s childhood. I'm willing to bet >that everyone here (well, at least the 15-20yr olds) remember making >sure to place names of people they didn't like in their Oregon Trail >party. I don't think I ever actually played "The Oregon Trail," although it was certainly around in my youth. I did play all of the Munchers games (Word, Number, Fraction, and Super), though. I remember playing Word Munchers when it was way too easy for me, and getting up to like the 100th board or something. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206175957.16217.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 09:59:57 PST Chris Campbell wrote: >"Nah, Nah Nah Nah, HEY! Nah Nah Nah Nah" -Homer Simpson (The Hey >Song) Actually, I think that song is called "Rock and Roll Part Two." Wasn't it by Gary Glitter, the same guy who wrote "Hello Hello"? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 11:05:18 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: why won't glam rock just DIE??? Message-ID: On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Actually, I think that song is called "Rock and Roll Part Two." Wasn't > it by Gary Glitter, the same guy who wrote "Hello Hello"? yep. --jim kuemmerle, who prefers timbuk3's version incorporating the doctor who theme song... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:23:45 EST Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) In a message dated 99-02-06 10:56:48 EST, ttoclat42@yahoo.com writes: << Ah yes, I clearly remember in 5th grade, when my parents bought our first home PC. I was very disapointed that they got a 386 that couldn't run anything, instead of one of the wonderful Apple IIe's we had at school. ;) >> Our first computer was a Texas Instruments. We didn't get a 386 until sometime in the early 90s. Apple was what we always used in school and I hated the thing. They were was always so slow in comparison to our home computers (TI, Commodore 64, Commodore 64K and various others) jennifer ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:32:25 EST Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) In a message dated 2/6/99 1:25:53 PM, PULPSTRESS@aol.com writes: >Our first computer was a Texas Instruments. We didn't get a 386 until sometime >in the early 90s. Apple was what we always used in school and I hated the >thing. They were was always so slow in comparison to our home computers >(TI, >Commodore 64, Commodore 64K and various others) > > commodore 64..mm hehe.. i remember that durn thing. i played games on it all my waking hours. until we got a mac IIvx in '93. i did dig it out one time and hook it up in my room, but it just wasn't the same. i guess once you move forward in technology, it's just not as fun to reminice. i do miss this one "game" though... you'd move the joystick and it'd make this fun electronic music and it had a rainbow bar graph that'd move along with it. it was so pointless, yet it was my favourite thing. and i do remember oregon trail. ("oregon is bad... stop i--" yeah yeah,) were all those diseases for real? i never bought that. it'd really piss me off too. until i started putting names in of my enemies. ;) (btw, jen/pulpstress.. i sent out the stuff.. just so ya know.. yay! :)) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206190023.29523.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 11:00:22 PST Jennifer Pulpstress wrote: >Our first computer was a Texas Instruments. We didn't get a 386 until >sometime >in the early 90s. Our first computer was a Texas Instruments 99-4A. We had quite a few games for it, too. Anyone else ever play "Hunt the Wumpus"? Now, that was a great game. There was also an RPG-type game called "Tunnels of Doom," which was a lot of fun, but the whole thing didn't fit on the cartridge, so you had to load the data from a cassette tape. That was fairly obnoxious. >Apple was what we always used in school and I hated the >thing. They were was always so slow in comparison to our home >computers (TI, >Commodore 64, Commodore 64K and various others) I'm not sure about the Commodore computers, but the TI was fast because it used cartridges instead of floppy disks. That meant that you didn't have to stare at those stupid Apple "Please wait..." screens for hours on end, but it also meant that you couldn't save data, unless you used cassette tapes (and it was rarely worth the bother). I did a little bit of BASIC programming when I was young, and I recall that TI BASIC was a definite step up from the Apple version (in which it was incredibly difficult to get the computer to do anything but say "Syntax Error"). -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206191708.111.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 14:17:08 EST >From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) >Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 09:59:57 PST >Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" > >Chris Campbell wrote: >>"Nah, Nah Nah Nah, HEY! Nah Nah Nah Nah" -Homer Simpson (The Hey >Song) > >Actually, I think that song is called "Rock and Roll Part Two." Wasn't No It's the back Ground to Steams "Kiss Him Goodbye" for the late sixties. There is no Nah Nah in Rock and Roll part 2. -Ian >it by Gary Glitter, the same guy who wrote "Hello Hello"? >-- >May you live in interesting times, >Nathan >DinnerBell@tmbg.org >http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: IamSam98@aol.com Message-ID: <36a6ce49.36bc952f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 14:17:03 EST Subject: Non-TMBG: Oregon Trail Killing > and i do remember oregon trail. ("oregon is bad... stop i--" yeah yeah,) > were all those diseases for real? i never bought that. it'd really piss me > off too. until i started putting names in of my enemies. ;) My friends and I used to specifically try to kill ourselves in that game. We'd buy 20 oxen, no food, no clothing, and nothing else. We'd pretend everyone was screwing the oxen and running around naked. When we'd die, we'd always put something silly on the gravestone and play again, trying to die beore we got to it again. Sure, we could have just beat it (which we did at first) but where's the fun in that? P.S. Did anyone get a message from me entitled something like "Lovely Angel (Nameless)"? Cuz if not, I'll resend it. :) -Samantha What the hell happened to me? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206192019.11936.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 14:20:18 EST >From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com >Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:23:45 EST >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) >Reply-To: PULPSTRESS@aol.com > >In a message dated 99-02-06 10:56:48 EST, ttoclat42@yahoo.com writes: > ><< Ah yes, I clearly remember in 5th grade, when my parents bought our > first home PC. I was very disapointed that they got a 386 that > couldn't run anything, instead of one of the wonderful Apple IIe's we > had at school. ;) >> > >Our first computer was a Texas Instruments. We didn't get a 386 until sometime >in the early 90s. Apple was what we always used in school and I hated the >thing. They were was always so slow in comparison to our home computers (TI, >Commodore 64, Commodore 64K and various others) > > > jennifer > Talcott you hate mac's! But I of course have to work with G3's at school. Apple Computer Classroom Of Yearteryear. I ment Tommorow. Opps! I got my first Clone back round winter 91-Ian ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 14:29:37 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: Tmbg Posters(and other stuff) Message-ID: On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, The Band Four O'Clock wrote: > No It's the back Ground to Steams "Kiss Him Goodbye" for the late > sixties. There is no Nah Nah in Rock and Roll part 2. But, I thought the "Nah nah nah nah nah" was the guitar part. The guitar part goes "Nah nah nah nah nah," sort of, and that's what people say when they sing it 'cause they can't make the sound of a guitar. :) Kirsten (who has the feeling she may have just sounded incredibly stupid) "All love is rhymed need." - Peter S. Beagle, _A Fine & Private Place_ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 13:36:52 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BC99D4.7B1BB717@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Fun Questions Jim Kuemmerle spouted some sort of nonsense: > Adam Tyner posted: > > If the songs on the album were normal were normal, but there was a > > sticker on the jewel case saying "A percentage of this album's profits > > will be used to benefit [insert name of cause you strongly oppose]", > > would you still buy the CD? > (4) if the music was *great*, i might get converted to their cause. ;) > (just kidding) Well, we all can get a glimpse of cult mentality here on the TMBG list... Not that all cults are bad. I recall hearing word of one cult which gave cookies to puppies. Their intentions were good, but some other cult back at the cookie factory had laced the cookies with some kind of poison which only affected puppies, and the rest is history. The nerve of that one post saying that I didn't know anything about the Iran-Contra scandal :P bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Scandals are frosted!" Scott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990206145337.0096c95c@goshen.edu> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 14:53:37 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: CATS At 03:57 AM 2/6/99 EST, you wrote: >In a message dated 99-02-06 02:10:54 EST, gray42@juno.com writes: > ><< > Seeing as listees have a lot in common, what are your oppinions of the > Broadway Show of Cats? >> > >I found it boring and silly. Not one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's finest. > > > jennifer > I thought it was entertainingly cheesy. A little nauseating, but I basically enjoyed it. The way they sang to the camera (in the video version), how could you not laugh? I think the main reason I appreciate it is because my favorite episode of Reading Rainbow is when Levar gets to watch the cats put on their make-up. I was always amazed by that. Of course, it was nothing at all compared to 'Jesus Christ Superstar' or 'Joseph and the Amazing Techicolor Dreamcoat'. Now there's good stuff. ~Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990206210639.23543.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:06:39 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: BFF, Fear of Pop, Flansburgh, etc. ---Diana Kocar wrote: > Well, I'm a big BFF fan, and my personal favorite album is their first, > self-titled album (and one of my favorite CDs I own). It has great songs > like "Philosophy" and "Boxing" (an absolute masterpiece). Their second > album is probably a little more sophisticated, and has such radio favorites > as "Brick" and "Whatever and Ever Amen." So, either one is an excellent > choice I'd say. > > Have fun with BFF! They are awesome. :-) > > > Diana > Time for me to ask a stupid and admitidly ignorant question? How many CD's do they have. I remember seeing "Whatever and Ever Amen" and another one called "Naked Baby Pictures" (I think), but no self titled. Where does this fit in. Or did I simply mistake it's name/existence? Also I know "Whatever and Ever Amen" will be easy to find, but how hard will the other(s) be to find? - == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BC8377.DF525532@osu.edu> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 18:01:30 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: BFF, Fear of Pop, Flansburgh, etc. > Time for me to ask a stupid and admitidly ignorant question? How many > CD's do they have. I remember seeing "Whatever and Ever Amen" and > another one called "Naked Baby Pictures" (I think), but no self > titled. Where does this fit in. Or did I simply mistake it's > name/existence? Also I know "Whatever and Ever Amen" will be easy to > find, but how hard will the other(s) be to find? Ok, they have three albums: their self-titled one (their first), Whatever and Ever Amen (the second), and Naked Baby Photos (which is a few studio tracks and a lot of live tracks, and some tracks where they're just messing around). I don't really recommend Naked Baby Photos as the first one you buy, though it is pretty good, but more for someone who is already a fan of BFF. As to how hard they are to find, I don't really think it is that difficult. I'm pretty sure they'd have all three at places like Border's, etc., and I know you can order them from http://www.cdnow.com. Hope I cleared things up! Diana ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 18:01:28 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: all kinds of stuff (literally) Message-ID: <19990206.180133.10030.0.hotel_detective@juno.com> From: e f rae >>5th grade: Number Crunchers, Oregon Trail, and that one game where fish would eat each other i played those too, only in sixth grade. what was up with that Fish Game, anyway? i shall always remember the great lengths my classmates and i would go to in order to make sure every member of our Oregon Trail team died some brutal death, usually due to disease or starvation. >>If the songs on the album were normal were normal, but there was a sticker on the jewel case saying "A percentage of this album's profits will be used to benefit [insert name of cause you strongly oppose]", would you still buy the CD? "They Might Be Giants, proud supporters of the 'Maim and Cripple Children with Learning Disabilities Foundation.' A percentage of this album's profits will help buy shovels and other blunt implements of pain to help Special Ed teachers across America give their students severe head injuries."? >>Seeing as listees have a lot in common, what are your oppinions of the Broadway Show of Cats? i saw it, and it wasn't Bad, but wasn't Great either. however, i prefer my musicals with less dancing and women in spandex body suits... but maybe that's just me. >>I'm planing on getting into BFF, if I can only get one album at a time which one should I get? >>I remember seeing "Whatever and Ever Amen" and another one called "Naked Baby Pictures" (I think), but no self titled. Where does this fit in. Or did I simply mistake it's name/existence? Also I know "Whatever and Ever Amen" will be easy to find, but how hard will the other(s) be to find? Ben Folds Five has three CDs out - the first (1995, Caroline Records) is Self-Titled, the second is "Whatever and Ever Amen" (1997, Sony 550 Records, which has "Brick" and "Song for the Dumped", and the third is called "Naked Baby Photos" (1998, Caroline Records) but is more of an Odds-And-Sods compilation of live tracks and B-sides, and is really more oriented toward the Devoted Fan. both the Self-Titled Album and WAEA (Whatever and...) are very good, but I'm afraid I can't recommend one over the other, since I don't have a favorite of the two - my apologies. "Naked Baby Photos" shouldn't be too hard to find, beings it's only a year or so old. the Self-Titled Album might be a little more difficult to find since it's older and on a smaller label. try looking at Borders (that's where i found My Copy) or something like it. The Five also has a new album due out this Spring... >>Actually, I think that song is called "Rock and Roll Part Two." Wasn't it by Gary Glitter, the same guy who wrote "Hello Hello"? and then he got arrested for having Kiddie Porn. the end. :-) >>hee hee!! this has got to be one of the best sigs i've seen in a long time. i especially like the use of the Pooh-style Caps. thank you So Very Much! i long to be accepted amongst this crowd... i shall try to keep my signatures interesting, although maybe not quite so long. yeesh. my posts are long... i talk too much, methinks. ever-sincere, eriKa, who isn't the buh-buh-buh-Bull Goose Looney yet, though she's next in luh-luh-line for The Job. "Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains." - Jean Jacques Rosseau ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 17:31:23 -0500 Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Message-ID: <19990206.181134.-261955.1.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Heh, the first PC game I ever owned was Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. It was long before I had ever read the books, and responsible for my DNA obssession! Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 17:24:14 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Fun Question Message-ID: <19990206.181134.-261955.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray On Sat, 06 Feb 1999 01:39:36 -0600 Bob Scott writes: >Adam Tyner wrote: > >> If the songs on the album were normal were normal, but there was a >sticker >> on the jewel case saying "A percentage of this album's profits will >be used >> to benefit [insert name of cause you strongly oppose]", would you >still buy >> the CD? > >This would be a dilemma. If a portion of the money I spent on the CD >was to go >to 'Beating Baby Seals With Bags Full of Money, Inc.', I'd probably >have to >pass it up. But I'm sure someone would put it up on ebay sooner or >later, and >like buying it in a used bin, no money would go to 'Eaters of the >Dead, Co.' Hey, Eaters of the Dead was a REALLY good book, I hear tell they're making a movie out of it, but I don't see how... Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >bobscott@tmbg.org >AKA Bob "Actually, Eaters of the Dead is a shoehorn company... The >kind with >teeth!!! :P" Scott > > > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <8800ca2e.36bcf8c0@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:21:52 EST Subject: Non:TMBG:firstComputers I remember when my dad brought home our first computer. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.... ...it was a Tandy.. ..it didn't even have a hard drive.... I could draw pictures and crappy music and word documents and save them on a disk....oh! and I think I could play Where in the Wolrd Is Carmen Sandiago. I remember getting a Nintendo...I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I was easily amused, but I think I still am. I think that my graphing calculator is the coolest thing in the world... -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <3aa1122f.36bcf99c@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:25:32 EST Subject: TMBG: non:tmbg:computers again Yeah! I remember I use to have a Commodore! My dad got frustrated with it and threw it across the room. (he's an electrical engineer which makes it more funny) I had this neat game called Ranch and this one where I got to make different faces and this thing with the Muppets. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it had this neat board that you had to plug in separately. Thats all I can think of, but I'm sure theres something else, way down inside me, I can feel it coming back. -Amber ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 21:44:09 -0500 From: The Quote Pimp Message-ID: <36BCFDF9.1F84@hotmail.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) I abolutely adored my Commodore 64. Anyone remember Summer Games, and other fine Epyx products? Can anyone hum the "Epyx anthem"? Of course, the version of Oregon Trail that came with it was incredibly primitive, but... > I did a little bit of BASIC programming when I was young, and I recall > that TI BASIC was a definite step up from the Apple version (in which it > was incredibly difficult to get the computer to do anything but say > "Syntax Error"). As a susbcriber to 3-2-1 Contact magazine, I quickly learned how to program my Commodore and make it do nifty things, like make sprites move across the screen. All that dreadful poking and peeking... I've often heard that C64 BASIC was the best version BASIC around, and I'd be inclined to agree. The Quote Pimp, longtime TMBG fan "Brought to you by the Helena Rubenstein Foundation, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and viewers like YOU!" ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <42839c41.36bcfb87@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:33:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Birthday Buddies Hey if someone would like to tell me who i share a b-day with i would appreciate it. i was born on Janurary 19 ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <933848c2.36bcfc30@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:36:32 EST Subject: Re: Non TMBG: CATS I saw cats once on broadway on a field trip and i thought it rocked. i was the only one in my whole group (of about 150 or so people) that actually stood awake through the whole thing ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 22:23:01 -0500 From: The Quote Pimp Message-ID: <36BD0715.6C83@hotmail.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: A Quick Question from JH Claire V Gray wrote: > > Window has always been one of my favorites off of John Henry, I love the > voicing, the kookiness, the lighthearted classic TMBG atmosphere. Maybe > they didn't like it because it didn't fit with the other songs on the > album... It was a catalogue of many women, men, the window... window... WINDOW... Ahem, well, I love Window, personally. I only wish it were longer. I like the weird voice and lyrical repetition (people in the window, uncomfortable, it was, Window). Hey, did anyone ever try interpreting Window as the speaker's annoyance with Micro$oft Window$? Not the most valid of interpretations, but I find it funny. I was uncomfortable when I first used Window$, now I'm still uncomfortable with it. And I noticed my computer ran slower under it. The trouble? What I thought it was, it was: Window$! But I have no idea who the people in the window are. The Quote Pimp, longtime TMBG fan "Just when we're sheltered under paper, the rockets come at us sideways" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 22:01:15 -0600 Subject: NON-TMBG: new radicals Message-ID: <19990206.225018.22382.0.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: Jessica J Woletz So uhm... yeah, the new radicals played their single twice last night.... i'm seeing a lot of this happening lately. what's up? take it easy, JOrdaN * --------------------------------- i noticed that too... first tmbg and then the new radicals! has any other band done that? i didn't know NR plays YGWYG twice at every show, though...i thought maybe it was just an impromtu one-time thing. btw, how was their show? when they played here in cleveland, i thought they put on an awful concert... i absolutely love the cd and everything, but they seemed kind of fake during the show...not at all what i expected, but it might've just been a bad night or something. Jessie ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36BD1257.2C73A8EA@tc.umn.edu> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 22:11:05 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: TMBG: Miscellaneous T speaking of computers, i remember using something called apple works in my computer lab class when we were learning spreadsheets. it was a real pain to use, and after that i thought i'd never use a spreadsheet again. this was some 8 years ago so maybe the thing is totally out of date now. i'm 24 now. that's pretty old for this list and i even remember the where's the beef hype, though i wasn't hyped. for spreadsheets, i find excel much easier and more straighforward to use but maybe i've just gotten more computer literate over the years. i've never seen the show cats live, only on a videotape. i thought it was pretty good. i was intrigued especially by the costuming and the setting- would have been better to see it live though. i enjoy most musicals i've seen- wasn't sure though if i'd like cats. i guess its cause i prefer musicals about people and things that happen to people. i guess cats still appealed to me because they gave the cats distinct characters and looks- much like what you see in people. window. i can only speculate why people seem to dislike it more than other tmbg songs. i think the biggest factor is the length. its too short to really get into it. by the time you're into it and have a grasp of it, its done. i tend to not like the really short tmbg songs for that reason (except minimum wage). or maybe some think the lyrics are too simplified. i decided to try something new and post without using the caps lock key. its more efficient this way and no english professor is going to grade it anyway. laura ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 23:30:56 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Miscellaneous T Message-ID: >i decided to try something new and post without using the caps lock >key. its more efficient this way and no english professor is going to >grade it anyway. > >laura TEEHEE.. i bet its quite inefficient.. perhaps someone should introduce you to the key. [letter] [more_letters] etc. is proly more than most ppl could take or did i misundersand? and personally i *like* window.. if for no other reason than its fun to sing along and try to match the voice ("the trou bulli encountered when i thaw tit was i twas a window") not much else on topic.. i just like to pop in occasionally. and my fondest old-skool computer memory is al ittle game called "Willy the Worm" i could smack the FUCK out of that game. cept its the type where the speed of the game was limited only by the processor.. so after the 286 i played it on, it bacame damn near impossible. pardon my language. --kevin so safe and sound (i could drown) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990207043204.16997.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 20:32:04 -0800 (PST) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Fun Question ---Claire V Gray wrote: > > If They Might Be Giants did an album where all the songs were a form of > taboo, would you still get the album? It depends on what you mean by that. Do you mean the songs would contain taboo subject matter, or do you mean something else? Actually, I think it would be funny if they did do an album "featuring swear words." I would buy it. :) Danielle === URL: http://come.to/cherubino See, Starvin' Marvin, these are what we call *appetizers*. This is what you eat before you eat to make you more hungry. --Eric Cartman _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990207043945.2096.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: No longer TMBG: Miscellaneous T Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 20:39:45 PST Laura Miller wrote: >i decided to try something new and post without using the caps lock >key. its more efficient this way and no english professor is going >to grade it anyway. No capital letters? That's an F. I want you to rewrite this post with capital letters by Monday. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (who's not really an English professor, but he plays one on a mailing list) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199902070555.AAA09420@pop.snet.net> Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:51:04 -0500 Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:40:47 -0500 Subject: Re: Non TMBG: CATS Message-ID: <19990207.004055.-227379.1.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray As poster of the original question, it is only right that I include my opinion. People in cat costumes, liked the idea, vidio made it really cheesy (in a Full House way, you refuse to admit you like the show, often make fun of it, but find yourself watching it regularly, and secretly enjoying it), assuming it's much better live w/ out the camera work. Hey, it's a theatre thing. Loved the music and lyrics so much that I recently got the soundtrack, subliminal obssession with Mr. Mestofelees (the magic cat) Heck I started singin' along with the vidio. I'm sure that I'm not the only type who likes to sing along with music in this group. I mean TMBG calls for it. It's attractive because you can determine the words without reading the books. A lot of people aren't used to hearing lyrics so clearly. I love drama, and this had a lot of it. I love cats, and catwoman. Now wouldn't it be great if they were all dressed up like catwoman... hee hee hee Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:18:16 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Fun Question Message-ID: <19990207.004055.-227379.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray I meant the question to be specifically vague... On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 20:32:04 -0800 (PST) Danielle Gaither writes: >---Claire V Gray wrote: >> >> If They Might Be Giants did an album where all the songs were a form >of >> taboo, would you still get the album? >It depends on what you mean by that. Do you mean the songs would >contain >taboo subject matter, yes mainly or do you mean something else? somewhat yes, but a bit less > >Actually, I think it would be funny if they did do an album "featuring >swear >words." I would buy it. :) > >Danielle Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >=== >URL: http://come.to/cherubino > >See, Starvin' Marvin, these are what we call *appetizers*. >This is what you eat before you eat to make you more hungry. >--Eric Cartman > >_________________________________________________________ >DO YOU YAHOO!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-7 *****************************