Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #15-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 15, Number 9 Tuesday, 9 February 1999 Today's Topics: Re: nonTMBG: school colours Re: Non-TMBG: Michael Crichton TMBG: a whole bunch of schtuff Re: TMBG: school colors Re: TMBG: school colors Re: non TMBG: computers Re: TMBG: school colors Re: TMBG: school colors TMBG: MP3's TMBG: Sloan, BFF, Fruvous, Weezer and many more TMBG: Dexburger's forwarded message. (Jim's Big Ego) Re: NON-TMBG: Sloan, BFF, Fruvous, Weezer and many more Re: NON-TMBG: Sloan, BFF, Fruvous, Weezer and many more Re: NON-TMBG: Sloan, BFF, Fruvous, Weezer and many more TMBG: Re: TMBG(NON): Sloan, non-TMBG: colours, 'puters, non-TMBG bands Re: non-TMBG: colours, 'puters, non-TMBG bands TMBG:Mailbox NON-TMBG: Music Recommendations Re: NON-TMBG: Music Recommendations TMBG: TMBG CHAT Re: TMBG:Mailbox TMBG: agh! more "reccomendations" TMBG: You're Watching.... Re: TMBG: AGES! Re: nonTMBG: school colours Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) TMBG: school colors TMBG: tmbg reference in You Don't Know Jack Movies NON-TMBG: Calling all utah listies... (part II?) Re: nonTMBG: school colours Re: TMBG: BFF & live TMBG Re: nonTMBG: school colours TMBG: Re: You're Watching.... non-TMBG: Off topic posts Re: TMBG: BFF & live TMBG RE:NON-TMBG:Cats and Colours TMBG: OK, it's official. mostly non TMBG: irritated grumblings, weezer, music recs and Re: TMBG: OK, it's official. Non-TMBG: a C64-dr. who connection? Re: TMBG: BFF & live TMBG Re: Non-TMBG: a C64-dr. who connection? Re: non-TMBG: Off topic posts TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #15-8 TMBG: Re: OK, it's official. Re: TMBG: live TMBG TMBG: (NON TMBG/NON PULP) R.E.M. Tour dates Re: TMBG: OK, it's official. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:24:05 -0500 Subject: Re: nonTMBG: school colours Message-ID: <19990207.213833.-254247.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray My skool colours are as follows Middle skool- silver and blue High Skool- Purple and Gold Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:37:41 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Michael Crichton Message-ID: <19990207.213833.-254247.1.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 02:32:45 -0600 Bob Scott writes: >I didn't mean to insult the book. Michael Crichton is a genius in >many >senses, though I liked some of his earlier works made into movies >(i.e. The >Great Train Robbery) better than some of the recent made into movies >(i.e. >Jurassic Park, Congo). And yes, from what I've heard, Eaters of the >Dead is >due out this year. And from the one time I saw the book in a for sale >bin at >my local library, I looked in the front cover, and it said something >about >it being based on a true story. Yeah, I think it came from the ancient narrators journal. I especially loved how a whale was described as a frightening serpant, it really helped explain those old myths. Most of you probably don't care, or >already >know all of what I just said, but I figure Michael Crichton is >someone >respected by many of you (he has something to do with ER? I wouldn't >know :) He originally wrote a script for a movie for which they based the show upon. I'm guessing the pilot. They said something along the lines of it making a better TV series than a movie. > >bobscott@tmbg.org >AKA Bob "Who actually liked Congo, despite the fact that I just said >I >didn't. Bruce Campbell's 3 second life-span really adds to it. ^_^" >Scott Certain aspects of the Congo movie I enjoyed. But it is very difficult to put Crichton's works on the screen because there is so much more to the words that cannot be confined by film and vision alone. Although insanely difficult to translate, Sphere was actually a good movie, and an utterly fantastic book. So many were disatisfied by the movie version, but I have a great fondness for it. Mysterio Gal (too weird to live, to rare to die) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:43:21 -0500 Subject: TMBG: a whole bunch of schtuff Message-ID: <19990207.220824.9398.0.SailorMorningStar@juno.com> From: Karen M Majetic << i have size 32x31, or the other way around, pants ---- i don't remember what size i am. 11? i dunno. girls are different than boys, and i haven't bought pants for quite a while. just keep wearing the same old ones.>> Dont you think that they should just have one type of size rating...I mean what is the point of having different types of sizes?? Sure girls and boys are a little different in size...but I just end up buying all of my pants in the guys department anyways! << i like toasters more than toaster ovens, because toasters toast the bread evenly>> stupid remark - You know there is a band called the toasters! They rule! I just went to one of their concerts recently....they are a ska band.... <> hehe...speaking of computers...I remember my first one being a commodore vic 20....its operating system was basic and it had a whole bunch of cheap games....it also had a tape cassette for a disk drive. I remember sitting on that thing for hours writing my own games....it was pretty fun...::sigh:: those were the days. Well that's it! Gee golly gosh...being bored is fun...you get to answer all of the things you would not usually. =) -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199902080318.WAA10691@pop.snet.net> Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 22:14:08 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: school colors > 11-12 grades: Purple and Gold *barf* i think you were mistaken... you must have meant to say *HARF*... simple mistake. anyone could do it... just don't let it happen again... mitch might have to kill you. jen -I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BE1BE4.D476B2BB@osu.edu> Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 23:04:06 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: school colors Karen M Majetic wrote: > heh...this is kind of funny > My school colors were: > in middle school - blue and white > and in high school - blue and white! > AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that some schools need to get a little more > creative and come up with something a little better than blue and > white....from what Ive read so far a LOT of schools have those two > colors. > > um...how did this get started anyways??? > > -Karen :P > Yeah, I was kinda wondering how this all came to be too. I seem to have missed the original message about school colors, but with all this talk about fish computer games and other things I tend to glance over, I guess I can see how (not that fish computer games is a perfectly acceptable and entertaining subject for an odd group of people such as ourselves). :-) If I have to hear about another school color I think I'm gonna.....go....CRAZY...la la la.... My high school colors were good ol' blue and white too, and we were the Rockets. Of course now at OSU they are Scarlet (not red, but scarlet) and grey. Go Bucks! :-) Diana (who realizes she is contributing to her own insanity) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 22:02:35 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BE61DA.95FBD271@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: non TMBG: computers PULPSTRESS@aol.com wrote: > Ultima really doesn't sound familiar, but I'm not discounting it (I'd ask my > dad, but he wouldn't know, he rarely played it). It might not've been a TI > game, but it was definitely a Commodore game - and it used a cassette tape, > not a floppy (although I think later versions did have floppys, as they became > more popular than tapes). > The box was red and I think it had a dragon on it. > > jennifer I don't know if it was ever on a cassette tape, but Ultima I did have a dragon on the box if memory serves correctly. If you could try to steal while in the towns from the various shops, and then when you got caught, the burly guards (sprites:P) would chase you down and kill you if you couldn't get out of the town or kill everything in the city, then the game was definately Ultima. If not, I suppose most RPGs do have dragons on the cover of the box, as dragons are often at the center of games dealing with such things. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "And when you saved enough money, you could buy a space shuttle and dock at ancient space stations until you became a 'Space Ace'... No, really!" Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:11:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: school colors In a message dated 99-02-07 21:35:02 EST, sailormorningstar@juno.com writes: << um...how did this get started anyways??? >> First Jen mentioned some group at her school called the Strawberry something or others and that her school colours were blue & gray. Then I asked what everyone's school colours were in an attempt to do a semi-study on most popular school colours, because my school colours were also blue & gray and someone I know in Illinois also had school colours of blue & gray. And that is how this monster known as "Subject: nonTMBG: school colours" came to be. jennifer np *ease your feet into the sea* belle & sebastian ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199902080414.XAA05121@pop.snet.net> Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:10:15 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: school colors > > um...how did this get started anyways??? > > > > -Karen :P > > > > Yeah, I was kinda wondering how this all came to be too. I seem to have > missed the original message about school colors, but with all this talk > about fish computer games and other things I tend to glance over, I guess I > can see how (not that fish computer games is a perfectly acceptable and > entertaining subject for an odd group of people such as ourselves). :-) well... it was all me who started this. ME. yes. aim your arrows. shoot your meatballs at me. i can take it. then again, it was only i who brought up MY school colors... casually, mind you... and then someone asked what colors everyone else had. so that wasn't my fault. jen- the one who will cause you to throw spoons and run around in a way that is funny until someone gets hurt. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199902081359.IAA45740@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 08:59:27 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: MP3's I got this email from someone and I was pretty much stumped since that jackyl page didn't seem to be running last time I checked (and if it is, let me know)...so, any suggestions? --Jason-- >I was wondering if you knew of any good They Might Be Giants sites with >MP3 files on them. Thanks, ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BEE4BE.495E21A2@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 06:21:10 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Sloan, BFF, Fruvous, Weezer and many more LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > in sloan's defense... each of their albums are drastically > different.. kinda like the difference bewteen john henry and the pink > album..although more so between "smeared" and "one chord to another". people > who like sonic youth (me!) should like smeared. people who like beatlesey > songs should like OCTA. umm. the same theory could be applied to other bands, > i'm just using sloan as an example because they are now my favourite band, am > in that defensiveness, i'm .. "all up in that".. :) and yeah.. your mama! ;) > (hey, weren't you the one i got the first ben folds cd from?) > Then who's Navy Blues like? That's the one I have. I guess I missed their golden era. (My gut feeling told me to go for OCTA but it was out.) It does have one semi-catchy song. As for Moxy Fruvous, I might buy their next studio album new (if I can't find it used first.he!he!) In the last three years, I've really gotten into what I call "ultra-pop"-- bands with music that is so unashamedly bright and catchy that it might be unpopular to today's mainstream listeners. (That's why I though I might like Sloan.) My faves of this type are The Sugarplastic, Papas Fritas and The Cardigans (except for their latest). I don't think any of us have found a band that is really like TMBG. Weezer called TMBG an inspiration and they're fun but they need to grow a lot before they can near TMBG's level. Sarah, about the BFF CD, I think I finally flung far into the air like a frisbee and it landed in your back yard. Glad you like it. Anyone that likes Sterolab can't be all bad. This isn't a recommendation but has anyone heard of The Negro Problem? They have some catchy stuff. Their sound *sort of* reminds me of BNL or MF. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BEE62E.9A3D7D77@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 06:27:17 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Dexburger's forwarded message. (Jim's Big Ego) [Mr. Dexburger asked that I forward this to the list.] Bongo wrote: >I bought the CDs of all these bands (except The Bobs) based >on listees' recommendations. Well, if your doin' based on listee's reccomendations, I being a listee, highly reccomend Jim's Big Ego. They are my 2nd favorite band (next to TMBG of course) and they're very good. They're very reminescent of TMBG, that being they've got funny, yet intelligent lyrics. And the lead signer Jim Infantino, is an absoute musical genius. For an obvious stay true to TMBG stlye type listee, I'd say get the live album "Titanic" or their newest one "Don't Get Smart." If you don't mind more folky stuff (folk is Jim's backround), go for Jim's solo CDs, "Strawman" and "World of Particulars." Or if you'd rather have moreof a mixture, go for the whole band's first effort, "More Songs About Me." If you're even remotely interested in Jim Infantino & Jim's Big Ego based on what I've said, let me know. So, you say Fruvous is the best out of the one you got? I'll have to get one of their C.D.s. There's so many TMBG fans that like them, it would suck if I didn't. Also because there's always conversations abot them, and I feel left out. I've honestly never even heard of them. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990208091212.009363b0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:16:15 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sloan, BFF, Fruvous, Weezer and many more At 06:21 AM 2/8/99, Bongo wrote: > > In the last three years, I've really gotten into what I call > "ultra-pop"-- bands with music that is so unashamedly bright and catchy that > it might be unpopular to today's mainstream listeners. (That's why I though I > might like Sloan.) My faves of this type are The Sugarplastic, Papas Fritas > and The Cardigans (except for their latest). Same here -- some bands I'd recommend are Tuscadero (who I love so much that I put together an unofficial web site; URL's in the sig) and the Rondelles (the only band I'm familiar with where one person plays drums and keyboards simultaneously). > > I don't think any of us have found a band that is really like TMBG. > Weezer called TMBG an inspiration and they're fun but they need to grow a lot > before they can near TMBG's level. Mailbox is rather TMBG-ish, although they tend to stay closer to the less-serious side of music, whereas TMBG tends to handle it all. Nothing wrong with that, but people who hear Mailbox' stuff might be put off by that. They have a site at http://superpickle.com/mailbox/ -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <4e2d8546.36bef4b6@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:29:10 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sloan, BFF, Fruvous, Weezer and many more In a message dated 2/8/99 9:19:37 AM, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: >Mailbox is rather TMBG-ish, although they tend to stay closer to the >less-serious side of music, whereas TMBG tends to handle it all. Nothing >wrong >with that, but people who hear Mailbox' stuff might be put off by that. > They >have a site at http://superpickle.com/mailbox/ > actually, i haven't heard anything of theirs (actually, i think i did hear a tiny snippet somewhere.. but i don't remember being impressed).. but i was put off by their constant.. errm.. spamming? being a fan of both tmbg and bnl, i saw their ads on newsgroups and stuff and that's just not something i'm fond of. from what i've observed, no one's said anything like that yet about them. hm. i'll put in some non sloan recommendations that have yet to be mentioned: stereolab (okay, they were slightly mentioned, but i wuvvem. :)), odds, tragically hip, superchunk, sonic youth, bran van 3000, thrush hermit, the super friendz, jale, liz phair, ani difranco, geggy tah, ashley macissac, orbital, the orb, air, xtc, cibo matto... and my mind has locked up now, so that's all. oh wait, and what would a list be without the beastie boys? don't get me wrong, i for the most part, hate a majority of rap. i like the beastie boys. s'all good. "hey ladies!" hello nasty has a good share of .. "non- stereotypical" beastie boys songs on it actually.. from lounge to acoustic. s'fun. watch now, i'll think of something important later that i forgot. :P sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990208093705.0092e8d0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:44:20 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sloan, BFF, Fruvous, Weezer and many more At 09:29 AM 2/8/99, LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > >actually, i haven't heard anything of theirs (actually, i think i did hear a >tiny snippet somewhere.. but i don't remember being impressed).. but i was put >off by their constant.. errm.. spamming? being a fan of both tmbg and bnl, i >saw their ads on newsgroups and stuff and that's just not something i'm fond >of. from what i've observed, no one's said anything like that yet about them. >hm. Mailbox is...certainly different. Lots of analog synth tracks mixed in with (mostly acoustic) guitar. There are a bunch of mp3s on their official site, if you're interested in hearing more. The San Antonio/West Virginia Energy Malaprop Incident and A Little More are my personal favorites. I'm not too fond of spamming either, and personally, while I guess I can see the TMBG relationship, I don't hear any BNL influence at all. >i'll put in some non sloan recommendations that have yet to be mentioned: Glad to see XTC mentioned. I'll recommend the Young Fresh Fellows, Velocity Girl, Starry Eyes, Harvey Danger, Julie Plug, Hot Pursuit, the Rentals, Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet, the Residents (only for the adventurous!), and the War Effort as well. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <1b60ce8c.36bf030c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:30:20 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG(NON): Sloan, In a message dated 99-02-08 09:08:08 EST, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: > Then who's Navy Blues like? That's the one I have. I guess I missed their >golden era. (My gut feeling told me to go for OCTA but it was out.) It does have one >semi-catchy song. I thought Navy Blues was very Beatles-y..moreso than One Chord to Another is. In fact, I thought it was so Beatlesy that I didn't like it. I love the Beatles, but anyone who blatantly tried to sound like them....well, all I can say is, get your own sound. Smeared is my favourite Sloan album...Twice Removed comes in second..I don't care for the other two. > In the last three years, I've really gotten into what I call "ultra- pop"-- bands with > music that is so unashamedly bright and catchy that it might be unpopular to >today's mainstream listeners. (That's why I though I might like Sloan.) My faves of >this type are The Sugarplastic, Papas Fritas Pappas Fritas opened for Blur on their early '97 tour and so many people I know who caught that tour didn't like them at all. It was the same for That Dog who opened for them on their '97 summer tour. Blur fans are very picky when it comes to music. jennifer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990208161204.2775.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mad Midget" Subject: non-TMBG: colours, 'puters, non-TMBG bands Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:12:03 EST School Colours: Elementary: blue and yellow(could've been....GOLD-insert Twilight Zone theme here)=the Tigers Middle: black and white=the Spartans High: blue and yellow again=the Falcons(we come from Georgia, I think the real falcons should've sued) College: orange and white=the Vols (hee hee) >There's a few bands besides TMBG that many here (and on the ng) rave >about. >Excluding >Mono Puff and any bands that actually opened for TMBG, the most >frequently >talked about >bands seem to be: Barenaked Ladies, Moxy Fruvous, Ben Folds Five, >Squirrel Nut >Zippers(less so these days), occasionally The Bobs and now recently, >Sloan. I thought this sounded cool but then... >I bought the CDs of all these bands (except The Bobs) based on >listees' >recommendations. I listened to most of them a lot, trying hard to >like them but >I was disappointed in every case except for maybe Moxy Fruvous. I LOVE Squirrel Nut Zippers, they kick supreme ascot, I've almost got all their cds. I agree about BNL, they're pretty bland: their best song is the live version of "Brian Wilson". I apparently need to speed up and listen to some MF :-) Who the hell are Sloan? On the computer front, my dad's been a programmer since the Ice Age, so we've always had a computer. I just couldn't use it for a LONG LONG time. I could only play "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?" for like 4 years. I did play the Oregon Trail and that fishing game when I was in elementary and middle school(I'm apparently the ONLY ONE HERE who wanted his crew to live. the thought of killing them all with horrible diseases never crossed my mind). I finally got a *decent* computer 2 Christmases ago, which I'm typing on now. My roommate the other day played the original Leisure Suit Larry game which I'd never seen before. Pretty goldurn funny. Type at you guys later, Mike the Merciless No, I thought, the geek in Colorado had it all wrong. The real problem is how to wallow with the eagles at night and soar with the pigs in the morning. -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <16aa7d95.36bf0e8f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:19:27 EST Subject: Re: non-TMBG: colours, 'puters, non-TMBG bands In a message dated 2/8/99 11:14:58 AM, m_peror07@hotmail.com writes: >Who the hell are Sloan? thery're a canadian band. and they knocked tmbg out of my personal "favourite band category"... actually, nah, it's more like all of the both of them are squeezed onto a tiny train bench called my favourite bands. yah. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990208120613.006a534c@goshen.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:06:13 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: TMBG:Mailbox Adam Tyner wrote: Mailbox is rather TMBG-ish, although they tend to stay closer to the less-serious side of music, whereas TMBG tends to handle it all. Nothing wrong with that, but people who hear Mailbox' stuff might be put off by that. They have a site at http://superpickle.com/mailbox/ I'd definitely recommend Mailbox. I found out about them ('him', actually) because of some banner on a Ween page that said 'Do you like ~Ween~They Might Be Giants~Oingo Boing~Barenaked Ladies~XTC~? You'll love Mailbox' That's a very random assortment (who would ever pair Ween with XTC?), which just happens to include five of my favorite bands. I was shocked, so I ordered both Mailbox CDs and I'm quite happy with them. They annoy my roommate, but so does most of my music. ~Amanda ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990208121026.00971850@goshen.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:10:26 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: NON-TMBG: Music Recommendations At 09:29 AM 2/8/99 EST, LimeZinger wrote: > >stereolab (okay, they were slightly mentioned, but i wuvvem. :)), odds, >tragically hip, superchunk, sonic youth, bran van 3000, thrush hermit, the >super friendz, jale, liz phair, ani difranco, geggy tah, ashley macissac, >orbital, the orb, air, xtc, cibo matto... and my mind has locked up now, so >that's all. So, basically, you're telling everyone to buy the Brain Candy soundtrack (which they really should)! Speaking of which, are Odds any good without Bruce? ~Amanda ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:13:27 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Music Recommendations In a message dated 2/8/99 12:12:10 PM, amandah@goshen.edu writes: >So, basically, you're telling everyone to buy the Brain Candy soundtrack >(which they really should)! Speaking of which, are Odds any good without >Bruce? ahh! even better! not to discredit bruce at all, but ... :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004201be5387$4e2831e0$5999e7ce@Balloon> From: "Balloon" Subject: TMBG: TMBG CHAT Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:20:19 -0500 Anyone know what the deal with TMBG chat is? It's been down for a couple of days now......inform me if you can. -Hell Hotel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990208123128.00935c70@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:35:29 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:Mailbox At 12:06 PM 2/8/99, Amanda Heggen wrote: > > I'd definitely recommend Mailbox. I found out about them ('him', It's definitely more of a "him" than "them", although Irving has enough guest musicians for me to use the plural form and not feel too guilty. Also, he said he's thinking about putting together a full band. Definitely something to look forward to. If you're in the Mass. area, definitely keep an eye out for him. >shocked, so I ordered both Mailbox CDs and I'm quite happy with them. >They annoy my roommate, but so does most of my music. Same here. :-) There's a new Mailbox EP out that's only $3.99. The new songs are great! Also, that Live From The Wormhole CD (where the live version of My Head from Idle Hands and the multimedia part of Elephino is from, along with HCR's "Next Stop My Dick", also from that same enhanced CD) will be out sometime later this year. -Adam, who was the first person to order Elephino! Seriously! -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:41:17 EST Subject: TMBG: agh! more "reccomendations" ~ combustible edison ~ shadowy men (yes, adam got them, but *i* should have! ) ~ snmnmnm // call: 1-888-37-SNEWS to hear 'em (it's free! free when you call from work, or home, or anywhere else!) sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990208131942.009371c0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:20:05 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: You're Watching.... Anyone heard this yet? http://www.dialasong.com/intros/yourwatching.mov -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990208182323.7506.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: AGES! Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:23:22 PST You guys who are 19 are lucky because you're going to be 20 soon. Being 20 is the best. You think that being 21 is going to be the best, but you're wrong. I haven't noticed that anyone age 20 is on the list here...that's probably because they're too busy partying their damned heads off, and hence have no time to give us non-age-20ers any love. Bastards. Farside > >I am 19 years of age..... the most meaningless age before 22..... >Born on July 23, 1979..... > >~Sarah > "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" > >>>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:26:48 EST Subject: Re: nonTMBG: school colours In a message dated 99-02-07 16:18:18 EST, PULPSTRESS@aol.com writes: << Here were mine: Jr high - maroon and gray High school - blue and gray I don't think my elementary/grammar school had colours. >> And I don't think anybody cared! What the hell kind of topic is this?! elementary-blue and white jr high- brown and gold (puke) high school - black and gold ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990208185316.2429.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: very-non-TMBG: Are you feeling old? (was Ages?) Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:53:16 PST >> > 5. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums >> >> I remember when my parents bought me an Atari for Chanukah... I was so >> happy... I played Adventure and Pac Man for days on end... then they >> sold it when we got our Nintendo... the bastards... > >Mmmm.... Atari. I loved Indiana Jones and ET. Much better than Stampede. >Adventure rocked too (my favorite was that you could pick up the >bridge the same as the key *grin*). > Best Atari game hands down: Yar's Revenge. (Fly Yar Warriors, Fly!) Sorry if it seems like I'm replying to really old posts, but I've been gone for a week. Actually what happened was, I kind of got in a fight with a really unpopular superhero named Clicheman, and he yelled, "I'm gonna knock you into next week!" And he did. But at least he wasn't waiting for me when I got here. I was kind of hoping he would say, "I'm gonna beat the shit out of you!" for I was just a bit constipated at the time. Enough. I'm stopping Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "mill1159" Subject: TMBG: school colors Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:11:23 Message-Id: <36bf36dc2789105@mhub3.tc.umn.edu> Batbrain 99 said: And I don't think anybody cared! What the hell kind of topic is this?! elementary-blue and white jr high- brown and gold (puke) high school - black and gold You mean you went to a school with brown and gold as colors? And I thought I was the only one. Where was the school that had brown and gold as colors? It wasn't Apple Valley, Minnesota by any chance was it? Laura ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BF3BDC.FC2F9505@cnr.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:32:45 -0500 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: TMBG: tmbg reference in You Don't Know Jack Movies I dunno if anyone else has seen this before, but in the game You Don't Know Jack Movies there is the following question: Category : They Might Be Actors Question: Suppose the band They Might Be Giants were to sing a love song for the movie They Might Be Giants. What duo's relationship might they be singing about? the answer of course, is Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. :) sarah faye who just totally whipped that game's ass!!! $55,000, baby!!!! -- "He used to be your victim now you're not the only one...." --Elvis Costello, "Accidents Will Happen" http://lindramine.cjb.net -- The Princess's Castle ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:16:37 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: Calling all utah listies... (part II?) Message-ID: TONIGHT. 9 pm. the moroccan (behind guthrie bicycle, 156 E 200 S, salt lake city) drag city recording artist edith frost, preceded by lullaby for the working class, preceded by glade (featuring yours truly on organ and electric piano). there's a cover, i don't know how much it is, but it's on the order of $4-8. arrive early, as this one's expected to sell out. --jim kuemmerle, who's keeping this one short and sweet... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:03:55 EST Subject: Re: nonTMBG: school colours In a message dated 99-02-08 13:36:22 EST, Batbrain99@aol.com writes: > And I don't think anybody cared! you answered it so you must've cared at least a little ;) >What the hell kind of topic is this?! a fun one, to be answered or not answered depending on who wants to or not. jennifer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990208202326.15967.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: BFF & live TMBG Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:23:25 PST > If you choose to >get WEAEA first, see if you can find a copy of the original printing with >the talking inbetween tracks & the hidden track at the end (most likely, >it will be used). They stopped making these back in October '97 when >Brick was released as a single. If you can't, there's not too much to >miss. The hidden track is a guy saying "Ben Folds is a fuckin' asshole, >man!!!". It's just pretty damn cool to own an early copy before they got >big. Outstanding! I have this. I didn't realized they stopped selling it this way. What a priviledge. I like the eponymous disk much better myself. I actually saw bff at Lollopalooza in '97 and they were smokin'. Anyone else noticed that they haven't put anything new out in a while? This may not be a good sign. On a TMBG-related note, I was also at the Otterbien show and I agree that they were basically hysterical. In rare form. But I would like to register my opinion on something. Their shows have become extremely canned, music-wise. All the same songs we keep hearing at every show. Almost nothing from the JH era (i know, no horns, but still..) and I'd like to see them find a way to do some of their wierder stuff with a full band. Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, It's not my Birthday, I've got a Match, Dinner Bell, Which Describes How You're Feeling, Rhythm Section Want Ad, Nothing's Gonna Change my Clothes, Birds Fly, They'll Need a Crane, I'll Sink Manhatten, Letterbox, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, Where Your Eyes Don't Go. I could go on. All great songs. All rarely heard in concert with full band(never by me). They've got a ridiculous number of songs to work with and they just don't seem to be tapping into them. Maybe it's because I keep going to see them at small colleges in Ohio. Faride ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:33:01 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BF49FD.76457ADA@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: nonTMBG: school colours Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > And I don't think anybody cared! What the hell kind of topic is this?! Well, from the subject line, I think we might have some moose-humping Canadians on our hands ^_^. Not to be taken literally! The vultures are circling! "Eek! Nazis! Eek" Indeed! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Kill it before it spreads" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:36:56 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BF4AE8.8F88FEC0@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: You're Watching.... Adam Tyner wrote: > Anyone heard this yet? > > http://www.dialasong.com/intros/yourwatching.mov They really should have added a sound from the incredibly expensive machine that goes 'Ping!' at the very end. It would have really capped it all off rather nicely. Not that I'm complaining. I went into seizures from the sheer joy of hearing something different! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Who doesn't want to march up and down the square? Got something better to do that marching up and down the square?" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990208205004.17885.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Happy Cow ." Subject: non-TMBG: Off topic posts Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:50:04 PST Hello All, I know that some of you are getting a little upset with this whole "School Colors" thread. I know that I don't really care what everyone's Jr. High mascot was, but some people on this list might. If you don't want to read a post, no one is forcing you--just skip it. I have a friend who's on the Weezer mailing list, and she told me that people are starting to get kicked off because others are complaining about their off-topic posts. Come on, people, do you want this to happen to us? I know that this is a TMBG list, but there's not all that much going on today in the world of TMBG for us to talk about. So please, humor all of the listees (like me) who enjoy the off topic silliness that is this mailing list. Okay, I'm done talking now.... ...And now back to your regularly scheduled lives... ~Connie~ "!Mi cabeza esta en fuego!" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36BF0CDE.34F10FAC@osu.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:12:15 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: BFF & live TMBG Todd Wetherbee wrote: > Outstanding! I have this. I didn't realized they stopped selling it > this way. What a priviledge. I like the eponymous disk much better > myself. I actually saw bff at Lollopalooza in '97 and they were > smokin'. Anyone else noticed that they haven't put anything new out in > a while? This may not be a good sign. Well, I heard from somebody on this list that they are coming out with a new album in April. Yay! > > On a TMBG-related note, I was also at the Otterbien show and I agree > that they were basically hysterical. In rare form. But I would like to > register my opinion on something. Their shows have become extremely > canned, music-wise. All the same songs we keep hearing at every show. > Maybe it's because I keep going to see them at small colleges in Ohio. I've been to my share of shows at small colleges in Ohio, and I've noticed the same thing. I've been to so many of Their shows now (I think I've been to 7 or 8), I can check off what songs they played in my mind and I can think of how many more there are to go that they usually play at concerts. Then I know when the show will be over soon. There are TONS of songs I would love to hear them do live, especially more off of John Henry, like Sleeping in the Flowers (I guess they used to do it but I've never seen it). It is so exciting when they do a song they don't usually do at concerts! I almost wet my pants when I saw them in Cincinnati in October and they opened with I Palindrome I. :-) I was just wondering, where is the best place exactly to see TMBG shows? Do they actually tend to not be as exciting at small colleges? Are they better at actual concert venues (such as the Newport in Columbus, Bogart's in Cincy, etc.)? I saw a very good show at the Newport last spring, but then again I also saw a good show at Otterbein. I mean, I know the quality of sound usually isn't as good at colleges because they are either a) outdoors, or b) in a big gym. But does this seem to affect their performance, I'm wondering? Diana ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:15:20 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: RE:NON-TMBG:Cats and Colours Message-id: <36BF53E8.72F2@wmich.edu> I have not yet seen Cats myself..... but i' have heard an awful lot about it. my young sister has recently become *obsessed* with it and is convinced that she will star in Cats someday. i'd like to see, just have to find the time....... and while i'm on the subject of musicals....... who here is big a fan of RENT as i? i simply love it. my roomate introduced me to it last year.... i knew ALL the music by heart before i even saw the show last summer, and seeing it only increased mylove and appreciation of the show, its meaning, and the tragedy of jonathan larson. i am soooo happy tho', cuz i get to see RENT TWICE this week!!!!! hooray! okay i'm done now..... Oh, and for this silly school colours thing..... you all must have gone to big schools or something 'cuz my elementary school had no colours 'cuz we didn't do anything in e. school. also, Red & White were the colours for middle and high school, i've never imagined that they could be diffenrent. We were also always the wolfpack (or the wolves to make easier for chanting at games)this brings a question to mind..... Who's schools were actually named after their town? I always thought it was funny when people would ask where i was from, and then ask where i went to school. I was like, well i'm from Laingsburg, so naturally i went to Laingsburg high school. It was a while before i realized that schools were not always named after their cities. What can i say, i lived in a small town. But now i live in a real city.... were there is MORE, yesh, more than one elementary school, more than one middle school, and more than one high school too! there's even more than one college! I think my college has the worst colours though...... brown and gold (yellow).... just like a brown-eyed susan.... yippie! And now that i've bored everyone to death....... i shall dissapear..... ~Sarah "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:37:25 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: OK, it's official. It's official. The last TMBG Digest I received was... boring. Yes, I'm sorry to say, I'm getting bored reading it. What's this crap about school colors? And the computer thing, I do know what you guys are talking about (I had an Apple //c with Oregon Trail and Lemonade, blah blah), but this is not the Apple //c, Commodore, Ben Folds Five, and School Colors mailling list. I'm sorry to be so bitter, and you can keep talking about whatever you please, I don't expect to change anything here, but I just wanted to let you know that prolonged non-TMBG topics (and, in my opinion, uninteresting ones at that) on a TMBG mailing list are unexpected and get boring after a while. (No, really, I'm happy! :) I am! I'm just bored w/this list right now, and I love you all, I really do, but I'd rather not hear about this stuff.) So, back on TMBG topic...is the good old, telephone Dial-a-Song back up? I haven't had a chance to dial it recently. And is it worth it to download this current song on the online DAS? And what is this "random melody generator: coming soon" stuff on the official site? Re: "Window". It's a fine song. It's too short. (Not even 60 seconds!) And near the end it gets on a good groove. Speaking of the vocals on Window, however, I was wondering: Linnell does that voice on a few different songs. Does he actually sing like that or do they electronically treat his voice on those songs? --Spencer, who already has his thumbs ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:45:58 -0500 Subject: mostly non TMBG: irritated grumblings, weezer, music recs and Message-ID: <19990208.164600.11502.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae figures My Luck: two days on the list and my e-mail screws up. so now i'm not the original Hotel Detective, but had to add a 1, which looks like i'm copying... erm... well... myself. >>Weezer called TMBG an inspiration and they're fun but they need to grow a lot before they can near TMBG's level. as much as i like weezer (which is a very great deal), i must sadly say that i doubt they'll ever reach TMBG's level. they're kind of still a band for money purposes, and with everyone having their own side bands... i'd be very surprised if they're even around in a few more years. but hooray for papas fritas! we love french fries. :) i struggled to think of a good recommendation that hasn't already been mentioned... so i'm gonna suggest Built to Spill. they don't really sound at all TMBGish, but if you like music with beautiful guitar arrangements, they are Very Nice. or Belle & Sebastian, although i think they've already been mentioned. and Pavement. and Wes Cunningham! and Cake... and the new Beck album. Squirrel Nut Zippers are Very Cool. they had Ben Folds in a video! hooray! did my last post from my now-crippled name show up? i couldn't remember if i sent it to the list, or accidentally to an individual. ever-sincere, eriKa, who much more enjoyed being the original Hotel Detective instead of this Hotel Detective 1 honky mofo crap. damn the man! "My cycle between lame-o and partier is about six months." - Rivers Cuomo ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990208214929.22725.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, it's official. Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:49:23 PST Spencer Owen wrote: >And the computer thing, I do know what you guys are talking about (I >had an Apple //c with Oregon Trail and Lemonade, blah blah), but this >is not the Apple //c, Commodore, Ben Folds Five, and School Colors >mailling list. It isn't? Hey, you guys lied to me! You said it was the Apple IIc, Commodore, Ben Folds Five, and School Colours Mailing List! >And what is this "random melody generator: coming soon" stuff on the >official site? I don't know for sure, but I would assume that there would be some link that you could click to get a random song from the database. If there remain only about seven songs in the database, though, this probably won't be worth it. Considering how often the official TMBG websites usually get updated, I'd say that we can probably expect this random melody generator by around Christmas 2003, around when the next album is released. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:52:24 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Non-TMBG: a C64-dr. who connection? Message-ID: On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Refund wrote: i owned a commodore 64 from the first grade on. my favorite games on it were ghostbusters (by activision) and pirates! (by... uh-oh... i've forgotten who that was by.) oh well. > So, according to me, Ambassador to the Land of Enchantment, the best > games ever for the C64 were the following: (snip) > Juice (Strange game where you had to step on a bunch of squares in a > specific order) kinda like in that dr. who episode "the five doctors", where peter davison's version of the doctor has to step on a bunch of squares in a specific order or something like that? if i remember right, the answer was math-based... --jim kuemmerle, who hasn't yet started reading the school colors thread... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ it is kinda daunting, after all.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990208220523.17530.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: BFF & live TMBG Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:05:23 PST >I was just wondering, where is the best place exactly to see TMBG shows? Do >they actually tend to not be as exciting at small colleges? Are they better >at actual concert venues (such as the Newport in Columbus, Bogart's in >Cincy, etc.)? I saw a very good show at the Newport last spring, but then >again I also saw a good show at Otterbein. I mean, I know the quality of >sound usually isn't as good at colleges because they are either a) outdoors, >or b) in a big gym. But does this seem to affect their performance, I'm >wondering? The best two shows I've ever seen were DePauw (another small college, but during the JH tour. They actually played Chess Piece Face! and 'the Gambler'.) and at the Vogue in Indy. I really liked seeing them at a club. I think they felt a liitle bit looser with the over 21 audience (no offense, kids). Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:15:39 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BF620B.27E800AF@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: a C64-dr. who connection? Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Refund wrote: > > i owned a commodore 64 from the first grade on. my favorite games on it > were ghostbusters (by activision) and pirates! (by... uh-oh... i've > forgotten who that was by.) oh well. > > > So, according to me, Ambassador to the Land of Enchantment, the best > > games ever for the C64 were the following: > (snip) > > Juice (Strange game where you had to step on a bunch of squares in a > > specific order) > > kinda like in that dr. who episode "the five doctors", where peter > davison's version of the doctor has to step on a bunch of squares in a > specific order or something like that? if i remember right, the answer > was math-based... Amazingly enough, TMBG was going to call 'Doctor Worm' 'Doctor Who', but the copyrights made it less than likely. (jk) But wouldn't it have been cool for all of us Who-vians? Even for non-Who-vians? Perhaps even for Who's-On-First-ians? I'll stop now-ian? bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob-ian "Who digged Terry Nation's 'Blake's 7, too-vian" Scott-ian ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:17:36 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BF6280.D83F0584@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Off topic posts "Happy Cow ." wrote: > Hello All, > I know that some of you are getting a little upset with this whole > "School Colors" thread. I know that I don't really care what everyone's > Jr. High mascot was, but some people on this list might. If you don't > want to read a post, no one is forcing you--just skip it. I have a > friend who's on the Weezer mailing list, and she told me that people are > starting to get kicked off because others are complaining about their > off-topic posts. Come on, people, do you want this to happen to us? I > know that this is a TMBG list, but there's not all that much going on > today in the world of TMBG for us to talk about. So please, humor all of > the listees (like me) who enjoy the off topic silliness that is this > mailing list. > Okay, I'm done talking now.... > > ...And now back to your regularly scheduled lives... I'd like to object to all this objecting going on. It's really rather unnecessary, and is quite plainly hurting my ears. Yours, etc., Ivor Bigbottom (dec'd) bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "I am 3000 years old and would like to see my name on television" Scott ------------------------------ From: Campkr@aol.com Message-ID: <8c1e58f7.36bf5f6e@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:04:30 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #15-8 Can someone send a copy of the February 8th digest to campkr@aol.com. Something go tscrewed up with mine and i can't read it. Thanks a lot Andrew Lange "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts -- for support rather than illumination." ~Andrew Lang (1844-1912) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:25:31 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36BF645B.4CEDDE0E@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: OK, it's official. Spencer Owen wrote: > It's official. The last TMBG Digest I received was... > > boring. > I'm just bored w/this list right now, and I love you all, I really do, but I'd rather not hear about this stuff.) But have you seen the tmbg ng? That's been off topic as far back as I can remember. At least here, people try to vaguely reference TMBG in some way in every message. Like in this message, I've used the letters t, m, b, and g enough times to qualify for government aid! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "And like the Bible Code, my message probably includes the names of famous dead people!" Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html 'The only site Abraham Lincoln would recommend it if he wasn't dead!' ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <1d77a52d.36bf655b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:29:47 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: live TMBG >I was just wondering, where is the best place exactly to see TMBG >shows? I've seen them at small clubs, an ampitheatre and a college gym. The best ones were always the ones at clubs. It's a combination of the sound, the size of the place and the people...of course, being able to get right up front is always an added bonus (I've been in that spot for 6 of 8 TMBG concerts) jennifer ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:38:46 EST Subject: TMBG: (NON TMBG/NON PULP) R.E.M. Tour dates I know there are a few people on here who'd be interested in hearing about this..... >R.E.M. Tour Dates: > >June 17; Lisbon, Portugal; Pavilhao Atlantico >June 19; Madrid, Spain; to be announced >June 20; Vigo, Spain; Recinto Playa de Samil >June 22-23; London, England; Earl's Court >June 26; Essen, Germany; Georg Melches Stadium >June 27; Frankfurt, Germany; Neu-Isenburg Stadium >June 29; Hannover, Germany; Maschsee >June 30; Berlin, Germany; Wuhlheide >July 2; Roskilde, Denmark; Roskilde Festival >July 4; Werchter, Belgium; Werchter Festival >July 5; Paris, France; Bercy >July 6; Montreux, France; Stravinski Auditorium >July 8; Vienna, Austria; Staatsoper >July 9; Budapest, Hungary; MTK Stadium >July 11; Bologna, Italy; Dallara Stadium >July 13; Munich, Germany; Horse Riding Stadium >July 14; Zurich, Switzerland; Hallenstadion >July 16; Dublin, Ireland; Lansdowne Road >July 17; Manchester, England; Nynex Arena >July 19-20; Stirling, Scotland; Stirling Castle >Aug. 9-10; Los Angeles, Calif.; Greek Theater >Aug. 11; Irvine, Calif. >Aug. 13; San Francisco, Calif. >Aug. 15; Denver, Colo.; Red Rocks Amphitheater >Aug. 17; San Antonio, Texas >Aug. 19; St. Louis, Mo. >Aug. 20; Chicago, Ill. >Aug. 21; Minneapolis, Minn. >Aug. 23; Detroit, Mich. >Aug. 24; Toronto, Canada >Aug. 25; Cleveland, Ohio >Aug. 27; Raleigh, N.C. >Aug. 29-31; Atlanta, Ga.; Chastain Park >Sept. 2; Seattle, Wash.; Bumbershoot Festival >Sept. 4; Long Island, N.Y. >Sept. 5; Washington, D.C. >Sept. 6; Holmdel, N.J. >Sept. 10; Philadelphia, Pa. >Sept. 11; Boston, Mass. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:03:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, it's official. In a message dated 2/8/99 4:56:13 PM, sowen@windwardschool.org writes: >It's official. The last TMBG Digest I received was... > >boring. tsk tsk tsk... you're not headed into a pretty forest here. >Yes, I'm sorry to say, I'm getting bored reading it. bitch bitch bitch, bleh bleh bleh.. > What's this crap about >school colors? And the computer thing, I do know what you guys are talking >about (I had an Apple //c with Oregon Trail and Lemonade, blah blah), but >this is not the Apple //c, Commodore, Ben Folds Five, and School Colors >mailling list. WHAT? holy CRAP! i coulda sworn it was! wow, you guys have been leading me on for TWO YEARS?! >I'm sorry to be so bitter, and you can keep talking about >whatever you please, I don't expect to change anything here, (then what's yer point? ) > but I just >wanted to let you know that prolonged non-TMBG topics (and, in my opinion, >uninteresting ones at that) on a TMBG mailing list are unexpected *BZZZZZZZZZT* nope. t'is the opposite, m'friend. this list happens to be *very* offtopic when there's no TMBG news in sight. we are a bunch of silly people with silly things in common and we like to discuss it. so .. :P :) > and get >boring after a while. (No, really, I'm happy! :) I am! I'm just bored w/this >list right now, and I love you all, I really do, but I'd rather not hear >about this stuff.) well you have options: unsubscribe. ? delete messages you don't want to read. ? or don't complain. ? lalalalalaalalalalalaalaaaaaaaah... been awake 26 hours, sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #15-9 *****************************