Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 10 Wednesday, 10 March 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading TMBG: NOW I HATE MICROSOFT! Re: TMBG: NOW I HATE MICROSOFT! Re: TMBG: NOW I HATE MICROSOFT! Re: NON-TMBG: mike leffel stars in carrie III? Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Re: Non-TMBG: Microsoft AND Astrology TMBG: Re: NOW I HATE MICROSOFT! Re: TMBG: Legality issues Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading the Q word (was: TMBG:TMBG in Entertainment Weekly/Video Comp) Re: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading TMBG: sorry Re: non-TMBG: promo items (another long post) Re: TMBG: 2:1 trade observations Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Re: non-TMBG: promo CDs Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Re: non-TMBG: promo CDs Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? TMBG: Till next time? and HELP! TMBG: Much stuff TMBG: Non-TMBG 2001 Re: TMBG: Much stuff Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG 2001 Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG 2001 TMBG: change in johns' tune/was, good show bad crowd Re: TMBG: Much stuff TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG 2001 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <36E44707.1F6D7FB4@osu.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:54:15 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix Jay G. wrote: > eRiCh wrote.... > >Does anyone know anything on the Exquisite Dead Guy Remix? > >I have small part of it on mp3. Where is it from? eRiCh > > I have never heard of a remix of Exquisite Dead Guy. > I don't think TMBG ever made one, maybe this is a fan remix? > > -Jay Might this be the recording they play at concerts with the puppets? Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:55:05 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Excerpts from tmbg: 8-Mar-99 Re: TMBG: Legality of tape .. by Kevin Keeler@uwns.underw > so whats my point? here it comes: who cares if one guy drops 4 marbles > into the bucket and the other guy drops three.. what matters is that > *both* are satisfied with the arrangement. what if i have a bevvy of > blank tapes sitting around collecting dust (secure in their > shrink-wrapping)? it'd be pretty sensible of me to want to do a 2:1 > trade. that's actually not unreasonable - if you make the offer to take a loss, then it is not really profit... it's a gift from you to them. They are still copying for a blank and postage. in that case, it's just semantics, but it does matter who makes the offer... if they say 2:1, it's their intent to gain from the deal. I think the general idea is that the person making the request shouldn't come out with less than they intend. If I intend to send you 10 tapes for 1, that's up to me. But if you require me to send 10 tapes for 1, that's not what I intend, and because you are setting the "price," it's not legal (or right, but that's another story). Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990309025726.26442.rocketmail@send103.yahoomail.com> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:57:26 -0800 (PST) From: "XaNdeR" Subject: TMBG: NOW I HATE MICROSOFT! Today on National Public Radio it was announced that the intel pentium 3 processors that have been reported to be able to "tag" and define by serial numbers which computer is which over the internet. This option could be turned off but I have already found apps over the net saying that they can remotly turn on the tag. And this CAN be done. It was announced that with the intel chip the windows 98 registration wizard can also tag FILES from the computer. Do you know what this implyies? This means that if you register your Pentium III computer anyone can trace ANY file to your computer at YOUR house. A lawsuit is being filed but I don't know if I will ever buy a Microsoft product again because all software pirating would be banished and MP3's would die. Beware of Microsoft and there scemes. == Adam Trimble ____________ Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <58620238.36e49968@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:45:44 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: NOW I HATE MICROSOFT! In a message dated 3/8/99 9:57:29 PM, ecclesiastess@yahoo.com writes: >Beware of Microsoft and there scemes. gee, it's too bad i have a MACINTOSH:) sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990308220500.008aa8c0@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:05:00 -0600 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: NOW I HATE MICROSOFT! And if your actually caring about this, go buy yourself a cyrex chip. Or get a Pentium II. LDB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:27:22 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E4A32A.F47534B4@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: mike leffel stars in carrie III? Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > > It's a simple misunderstanding, much like that whole > > setup on last weeks stylish episode of "Two of a Kind". Those Olsen twins are > > so loveable... > > my god... they have another show?? is there no justice in this world? The answer, by unanimous, resounding vote, is 'No.' > > --jim kuemmerle, still mad that they took dr. who off the air, and that > was over ten years ago... Ah, Whovians, why can we not unite and bring back the good Doctor? Combine my 2 responses, and you have the 1st James Bond movie, Dr. No. Congratulations, you've just won this wonderful Kewpie Doll!!! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Missing Monty Python because PBS likes to run those damn pledge drives right on the spot where my antenna once stood" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:30:23 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E4A3DF.DE0E6C01@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob El Dee Bee wrote: > Whoa, slow down Bobbie. > > You obviously missed the point to the post. Well there was no real point > to the post. I was just posting in mirth, sorry that it didn't come across > that way. Oh, I got the point. I just like to purport an air of non-knowing and ignorance :P Never take anything I say too seriously, as at this very moment, I consider everyone on this list to be someone I would gladly send lots of marzipan to. Even though I don't have marzipan, nor access to it. And even if I did, does everyone really want marzipan? bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Suddenly hungry for marzipan" Scott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990309043638.00f0dc20@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:36:38 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Microsoft AND Astrology At 06:57 PM 3/8/99 -0800, you wrote: >trace ANY file to your computer at YOUR house. A lawsuit is being >filed but I don't know if I will ever buy a Microsoft product again >because all software pirating would be banished and MP3's would die. >Beware of Microsoft and there scemes. I can hardly blame a software company for trying to prevent software piracy. I pirate software as much as the next guy, but it is illegal and it is theft. Just as MP3s can be illegal. I'm not trying to discourage piracy or MP3s, but how can you take the view that it is evil to try and stop them? On an unrelated topic, everyone should visit: http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/mitcharf/zodiac.html Trust me. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame." - Benjamin Franklin ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:35:11 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E4A4FF.F6FEE8C0@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: NOW I HATE MICROSOFT! "XeQdi." wrote: > Today on National Public Radio it was announced that the intel pentium > 3 processors that have been reported to be able to "tag" and define by > serial numbers which computer is which over the internet. This option > could be turned off but I have already found apps over the net saying > that they can remotly turn on the tag. And this CAN be done. It was > announced that with the intel chip the windows 98 registration wizard > can also tag FILES from the computer. Do you know what this implyies? > This means that if you register your Pentium III computer anyone can > trace ANY file to your computer at YOUR house. A lawsuit is being > filed but I don't know if I will ever buy a Microsoft product again > because all software pirating would be banished and MP3's would die. > Beware of Microsoft and there scemes. Simple, and money-making solution: Get everyone you know to buy chips from AMD, and before the big rush, invest in the stock. The investment will fuel R&D and allow for them to make more chips, as they are falling short of orders from some of the recent reports I've heard. Just let Intel and Microsoft wallow in their own un-net-ly crapulence. And when the AMD stock tops 200, sell, thus making the company plummet out of existence, and making Intel and Microsoft our immenent and all-knowing overlords, the Daleks. Then, of course, the Johns would release a new album and the 1984-like environment would not matter. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Helper monkey" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4qt=EFO00Ui90JVaU0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:39:29 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality issues Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-99 Re: TMBG: Legality issues by tmbgirl@juno.com > now wait a minute sister puff! uhm, first things first, just because > it's a law doesn't mean that it's right. so uhm, yeah, i remember no, just because it's a law doesn't mean it's right. however, that still doesn't make it right to break the law (something about two wrongs not making a right?). But if you do disagree with a law, there are ways of getting it changed. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0qt=PHW00Ui90JVc00@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:51:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading hmmm, after writing this, I realize that most of it is really irrelevant, and people will punt it because of the subject line. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-99 Re: TMBG: Legality of tape .. by LimeZinger@aol.com > i've cut down on my trading - partially because i can't keep up with the > buying tapes and such. that and i don't really listen to any of my > bootlegs anymore.. they're just collecting dust in my room. ::sigh:: heh... don't I know that feeling... I used to just put one in the car every week or so (or depending on how much driving I did, whenever one ended) but I'd end up listening to the same ones over and over again, because most TMBG bootlegs, being audience recordings and all, aren't that great quality... we need to convince them to let us plug into the soundboard. :) now they're just sitting there... I think I like hearing one for the first time - like "oooh, how does *this* song sound live," kind of thing, but for the most part, TMBG shows are uninteresting. Most of the shows in a given year are the same basic songs, and often the same between song stuff, too. (granted, a 1989 tape will differ greatly from a 1992 tape which differs from a 1998 tape, but...) My favorite ones to listen to, because they're either such good quality or such unique shows (or because I was at them) have to be: Milwaukee, 10/5/92 (you can hear the stage going "crunch" :) Evanston, IL, 3/15/95 (full band versions of all the old songs!) Mercury Lounge, 3/28/96 (they brought back Dinner Bell for TWO SHOWS!!! :) Irving Plaza, 2/21/97 Cleveland, 10/23/97 (shoehorn is just magical on this recording) I did make a "live best of" tape, that I listen to every now and then, but getting the mixing levels right on it was impossible, so I had to keep changing the volume. :( but I noticed that TMBG don't make a big deal of it when they do something rare, usually... if they're bringing it back to their main set, they might (like they did with Letterbox), but the one time they did The Bells are Ringing, they just plowed through it and went on to the next song... I somehow think that if Moxy Fruvous were to do, say... Bed and Breakfast, they'd make a decent introduction (kind of like they did for Sad Today last October). :) I wonder if John and John are even aware of what songs will make us all go "OHMYGOD I can't believe they're playing THAT!!!" (coughcoughnightgownofthesullenmooncoughcough :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:30:58 -0800 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: the Q word (was: TMBG:TMBG in Entertainment Weekly/Video Comp) Bob Scott sez: >Once again, we see the 'Q' word being used to describe TMBG. Couldn't they try >something like 'irreverent'? Maybe 'Smart' (as Ween would say)? Perhaps >even just >'alternative'? I'd rather see them described as 'Latvian Polka' than as >'quirky'. >Someday, there will be justice, and it's name will be Linda, and it will >be good. >What it will do about this whole 'Q' word issue remains to be seen... To my surprise, I got dubbed as having "quirky sense of humor" by my acting teacher, and found myself racking my brain trying to figure it out. Was it good or bad? Then I thought of TMBG -- journalists must use that word for a reason... who knows. Just a random thought. C o u r t n e y L . P a t u b o toonie@tmbg.org * cpatubo@sirius.com http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo ICQ #3762743 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001d01be6a04$a6fa7d80$2ea6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:12:59 -0800 I found it at an ftp site. I don't have the address but it says that MCPhive is the author. I'll put it up on my website pretty soon and let ya all know when. eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <55ab852b.36e4e02c@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 03:47:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Hello 41- Laws in general - <> I think you didn't read what I wrote very carefully. I have no problem breaking rules that DON'T HURT ANYBODY and I don't agree with, like transporting a minor across state lines (trust me, I know this is a law) or 2:1s however you want to look at it. And the law is only "real" if it is enforced. And if an act by a person may not have broken any law, the act can be distorted to make it look like someone did break the law. This is the case with public drunkeness. Technically you have to be doing something that a cop would deem is innapropriate or just plain not good, but a cops's word would hold up over a person's word, where if at the time he was subjected to a breathalizer test, and blew drunk. <> This isn't going to happen, as much as you'd like it to. I tape a lot of shows. I tape shows where no one else tapes. Then friends come up to me and ask to trade, and it happens. It has in the past, and it will happen in the future. This would end if you got someone, other than me, to go to every TMBG show, and tape it, and then distribute it. Which if it happened, would be wonderful. <> And now I'm not a nice person because you don't like how I trade. Isn't that infantile? My doors are always open to anyone that wants any show that I have unless it's finals or something. I have started many people's collections out. As Sarah said, whether you do 2:1 or 1:1, either way, you are trying to spread the love of They to others. But I guess spreading the love of They would be evil, because I want a blank tape out of it or something... Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990309112239.21571.rocketmail@send101.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 03:22:39 -0800 (PST) From: "XaNdeR" Subject: TMBG: sorry Hey sorry for posting that off topic letter but the TMBG list is on a group called everyone in my preferences. I had no intention of posting this to the list and it was an honest mistake. Please don't write this off as some jack-shit guy just tring to get flamed. I really enjoy TMBG and in June I will hopefully get a chance to see them in concert. No harm no foul? == Adam Trimble ____________ Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:33:20 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items (another long post) re: promo CDs. often, there's a "time limit" on them. (usually not expressly written) but when a contract expires, or a radio station gets rid of a promo CD, it's out there... this probably applies to the promo CDs from 10+ years ago... by that reasoning, if you won something or got it as a gift, you'd never be able to sell it. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-99 Re: non-TMBG: promo items (.. by bill tatalovich@cec.wust > Well hello, Mr. Holier-than-thou. You've never gone over the speed limit > in your car on purpose? You've never gotten an extra refill of your drink > when the waitress wasn't looking? You've never done any underage > drinking? I don't know of anyone that hasn't purposefully broken some law no, no, and no. > in their lifetime, merely because they didn't "agree with it" for one > reason or another. If you stay far away from anyone who's broken a law > they don't agree with, Mr. Solomon, you won't be standing anywhere near > anybody. that's an absolutely awful (and dangerous) rationale to take. I don't agree with the "no murder" law, so I'm going to go out and kill people. Give me a break. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:39:00 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: 2:1 trade observations Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-99 TMBG: 2:1 trade observations by Matthew Coon@omni.cc.pur > "Hi, I am a really big TMBG fan and I would like a copy of show X, > but I don't have anything to offer in trade. Do you do 2:1 trades?" > > > Every time this occurs, I write back and tell them that I do *not* > do 2:1 trades, but that if they would like to send me a blank tape > and return postage (generally about $1), I would be happy to copy > show X onto it and mail it back to them. So far, I have had > exactly 0% takers. If the general (non-trading) public have any > stance on this issue at all, they apparently seem to prefer the 2:1 > business. People who want tapes have a choice between 2:1 and 1:1 > trades, and they are not choosing 1:1. Mystifies me. they've probably been brainwashed into believing that the only type of people out there are the 2:1, and that when one of the not-for-profit people comes along, they don't believe you... I once had someone insist on sending me *THREE* tapes AND postage... I emailed him back to ask what he wanted on the others, and he dropped off the face of the planet. So now I have extra tapes and extra money and it's really bugging me because I shouldn't. :( Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:44:53 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Mar-99 Re: TMBG: Legality of tape .. by NitpickR@aol.com > unless it's finals or something. I have started many people's collections > out. As Sarah said, whether you do 2:1 or 1:1, either way, you are trying > to spread the love of They to others. But I guess spreading the love of > They would be evil, because I want a blank tape out of it or something... because if your motivation were truly to spread the love of They to others, your goal would *NOT* be making a profit from it. Besides, lots of us have enough to trade that we don't need to let you rip us off, and then we can distribute your tapes for blanks and postage. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 06:50:04 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Message-ID: <10171-36E5351C-1686@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Since we've been talking and toying with the idea of creating a list to discuss the off topicness of this one, I went ahead and did it. It's called TMBGofftopic. It's at onelist.com. If you would like to join, cause you're sick of off topic stuff being posted here, go to www.onelist.com and become a registered member. Then look for TMBGofftopic and sign up, it's simple as that. NOTE: Let it be known that I created this list solely so some people would stop complaining about off topic stuff being posted here, and maye lead a revolution to get everyone to join this list to post their off topic stuff. However, I personally will probably keep posting stuff here, be it TMBG or not. If there's certain things I feel I want to bring up with TMBGofftopic though, I will do so. me, DExburger ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903091505.KAA17632@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo CDs Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:05:36 -0500 (EST) > re: promo CDs. > > often, there's a "time limit" on them. (usually not expressly written) > but when a contract expires, or a radio station gets rid of a promo CD, > it's out there... this probably applies to the promo CDs from 10+ years > ago... by that reasoning, if you won something or got it as a gift, > you'd never be able to sell it. > I'm not sure what this is in reference to, I didn't get the original message but I have seen a number of promo CDs at record stores. Granted, many of these are quite a few years old, but I did seen the Factory Showroom promo CD album out 2 days before it was even released to the public. I figured that there would be a certain period of time before these could be legally distributed but 2 days before it was released!? I understand that radio stations get these albums a few weeks or even a couple of months before stores but that just doesn't seem right. -Matt ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990309090726.008a7b50@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:07:26 -0600 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Dex, my good pal, if aint broke, don't go out of your way to break it yourself. This same conversation comes up every two weeks on the list, we always go for not a second list. I, myself, will post all of my non-tmbg stuff here, and pretty much everyone else will, as well. Go ahead and remove that list, no one wants to be on two mailing lists to be on one. L "A list devided can not stand" DB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:11:41 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix Message-ID: <19990309.083427.15550.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >. I don't have the address but it says that = >MCPhive is the author. can i speak for the entire IRC community when i say "hahaaa...mc5" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:52:24 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Message-ID: <19990309.105227.2718.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae >>I, myself, will post all of my non-tmbg stuff here, and pretty much everyone else will, as well. Me too. I mean, hell, you guys are the only people who listen to me... even if you actually don't, at least I can't see ya'll roll your eyes and look disgusted like my friends do when I ramble. A novel idea though. Besides, I like this list. It's... quirky? ever-sincere, eriKa, who is quite proud of starting the "AKA Bob" thread. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:54:52 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com In a message dated 3/9/99 9:52:16 AM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >NOTE: Let it be known >that I created this list solely so some people would stop complaining >about off topic stuff being posted here, and maye lead a revolution to >get everyone to join this list to post their off topic stuff. here's a thought: it's not going to work. like i've said before, off topic threads just happen. well, the interesting ones anyway. they spawn off of tmbg content. aaagh no one listens to me anyway sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 12:20:28 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E5666C.30B4B234@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com e f rae wrote: > I like this list. It's... quirky? Ma! Get me mah killin' hat! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Bunsen" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:56:33 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo CDs Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Mar-99 Re: non-TMBG: promo CDs by Matt James@charm.net > I'm not sure what this is in reference to, I didn't get the > original message but I have seen a number of promo CDs at record > stores. Granted, many of these are quite a few years old, but I > did seen the Factory Showroom promo CD album out 2 days before > it was even released to the public. I figured that there would > be a certain period of time before these could be legally distributed > but 2 days before it was released!? I understand that radio stations > get these albums a few weeks or even a couple of months before stores > but that just doesn't seem right. that's absolutely insane... promo stuff is just that - it's promotional, and then it has little or no value to the people who produced it, because they're promoting something else, or at least not promoting that product, anymore. I'd say that right now, it would be a very bad idea to sell a Dr. Worm promo single, but 2 years from now, there'll probably be quite a few more in circulation. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:45:22 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Excerpts from tmbg: 9-Mar-99 Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misno.. by "Matt James"@charm.net > No, I mean if you are taping a show you already have to give to > someone. I thought that was what you were talking about. If 500 > people wrote to you and said I want so-and-so tape and had nothing to > give you in return would you take up all of these offers simply > because they sent you a tape to tape the show on and some return > postage? That's a lot of taping to do for nothing in return. Now, I > didn't know you were talking about trading one of their own tapes for > one of your shows. That option would make a lot more sense, but a > lot of time newbies don't have tapes to trade or don't have a tape > that you already have. Therein could lie the problem. oh... heh. I thought you meant making the tape, rather than copying it... um... still, 500 tapes... I think I, personally, would probably say to a lot of people "I'm really swamped right now, can you get back to me in a couple of weeks?" but I'd still try to accomodate everyone. If they had nothing to trade, blanks and postage are fine - it makes my job easy enough. (although I might be a little hesitant to make 500 copies of the same tape, simply because it'll destroy the original... I might recommend to some people some of the others who have the tape and are willing to do b&p) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199903092237.RAA22128@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:35:31 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? > > I could see how someone could get discouraged by this and would > > want something in return for their service. > > but for whom are they really taping the show? if you tape a show, you > get a copy yourself, you know. :) and most of the hard core traders > have something to trade when someone else offers a new show. so most of > the time, they're trading tapes for tapes. I can't think of anyone who > would tape a show *just* for other people's benefit. No, I mean if you are taping a show you already have to give to someone. I thought that was what you were talking about. If 500 people wrote to you and said I want so-and-so tape and had nothing to give you in return would you take up all of these offers simply because they sent you a tape to tape the show on and some return postage? That's a lot of taping to do for nothing in return. Now, I didn't know you were talking about trading one of their own tapes for one of your shows. That option would make a lot more sense, but a lot of time newbies don't have tapes to trade or don't have a tape that you already have. Therein could lie the problem. -Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:37:43 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Till next time? and HELP! Message-ID: <19990309.193805.-199021.1.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Hey kids, I'm sorry to say that I just haven't the time to read my messages, I've got a good 400 waiting for me. I'm gonna call it quits for the meantime. I'll miss everyone, and you'll probably see me again in the summer, maybe sooner. If you wish to contact me personally, you can always email me at gray42@juno.com <-- This was written before I discovered I didn't have the list FAQ HELP ME PLEASE! * ------------------------------------------------------------------- But hither lies the problem, I need someone to foward the list FAQ to me so I can unsubscribe *smiles sheepishly*. It is urgent before my e-mail account blows up. So if someone copuld forward the FAQ to me, so I can give myself a temporary break, it would be GREATLY appreciated * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Mysterio Gal (I am the God of fudge) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E5CD62.8F7745D3@thebigdogs.net> Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:39:46 -0600 From: Laura Helbling Subject: TMBG: Much stuff [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E5D179.4B528BC2@thebigdogs.net> Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:57:14 -0600 From: Laura Helbling Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG 2001 First of all, I realize that I for got too put non-TMBG on my last post, sorry. You were talking about Stanley Kubrick and that is sad, but good, for now I have a topic that I know. I saw 2001:A Space Oddyssey and thought it was really awesome. I love everything:the monkeys, the theme song, the cool furniture, the times when they spend endless minutes showing the red light that is HAL, the monolith, the cool ending that I don't want to ruin.. I remember back in my "searching for 2001 reference" days, not so long ago, when I thought that was cool that TMBG mentioned "monolith" in "The Statue got Me High" and that guy was named Hal in "They Got Lost" Hey, maybe this could be a thread! the one who hopes she started a thread, Laura ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 01:29:54 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Much stuff Message-ID: <19990217.012956.2646.1.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: Renquist L Hedgeloff Laura wrote: >> no, i think you should be allowed to think... >> >> (sorry, couldn't resist) >> >Oh yes, of course. But then shouldn't he also be allowed blurt the >merest ideas, if by random whim they occur to him? Hmm, that could >be a problem for our "anti-off topic" people. no! i think people should get beat up for statin' there beliefs! hah, resist that, jim! peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, who asked a girl if they could both sit in a chair, but did get nervous, as he recalls ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:28:00 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG 2001 Message-ID: <19990309.213058.8774.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae >>and that guy was named Hal in "They Got Lost" As much as that does indeed sound like a 2001 reference, I think it's actually because the mentioned Dan and Hal were fellows touring in the TMBG band at the time (Dan Hickey and Hal Cragin, I believe). At least, I think so. I'm no expert on the Dans or any of the others... And thus begins a thread. All because Laura was nice enough to mention me in her post. ever-sincere, eriKa, hello, excuse me, hey hey "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:23:10 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG 2001 Message-ID: <19990309.213332.11014.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf I remember back in my "searching for 2001 >reference" days, not so long ago, when I thought that was cool that >TMBG >mentioned "monolith" in "The Statue got Me High" and that guy was >named >Hal in "They Got Lost" Hey, maybe this could be a thread! actually "Statue" is based on the opera Don Giovanni (or if you will Don Juan) written by...Moliere? did they retire this song. i can't remember the last time they played live. as for Hal Cragin, he's more of a "Planet of the Apes" kind of guy. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ "It's a strange world, my friend. We're bound to run to each other. Until then, keep your unit on ya." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: MarjorieGW@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:27:46 EST Subject: TMBG: change in johns' tune/was, good show bad crowd It was written: =============== Subject: Re: TMBG: Good show, bad crowd From: Derek A Klein And to all, as I saw on a poster at a TMBG show: "Please stop moshing!! No one should die at a concert." Thank you. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ================= Begin my own blathering: Many moons ago I attended a show in (CA, Los Angeles)where Linnel actually stopped playing because of someone 'floating' and kindly explained to the crowd that it may be fun to float but people do get hurt and let's not hurt others while having our own fun. I was totally shocked at the time having never heard anyone make such a statement at a show. It made me happy to know that Linnel cared. It was also nice considering that most TMBG shows at all ages venues i've been to draw many young teens (or younger) fast forward to 1998 ~ 7 years later, STD in San Francisco, a packed dance floor that is already very tight, still many youth, some with parents and some without. The crowd was jumping and sweating, the young'uns are having fun, then came the orders: CONGA ok so there really isn't anywhere to conga in the first place and all the fans in front (majority of them younger/smaller) damn well ain't gonna conga away from their coveted spot at J&J's feet. But regardless the larger and drunker fans from the back come stomping and shoving thru & the tone of the whole crowd overall did change from happy pogo to push/shove brute fun and a few floaters appeared while i didn't expect the show to stop, or for any comments to be made by the band I was just surprised, have things changed at the shows? Any comments from fresh faces and those who have spanned a few years? (I am in no means an oldtimer) the big difference was that the change in the crowd was caused by the conga, otherwise i don't think the show's atmosphere would have altered from what i have come to expect from TMBG side note: I have never had a hard time holding my own at a show and if push comes to shove i still enjoy myself, be it TMBG or your generic DIY punk show with lots of shattered bottles about. Jeff edmo@tmbg.org please reply to my email as well as i digest list archives ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 22:26:19 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E5F46B.86301887@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Much stuff Renquist L Hedgeloff wrote: > Laura wrote: > > >> no, i think you should be allowed to think... > >> > >> (sorry, couldn't resist) > >> > >Oh yes, of course. But then shouldn't he also be allowed blurt the > >merest ideas, if by random whim they occur to him? Hmm, that could > >be a problem for our "anti-off topic" people. > > no! i think people should get beat up for statin' there beliefs! > > hah, resist that, jim! > > peace, love, and good happiness stuff, > > jay, who asked a girl if they could both sit in a chair, but did get > nervous, as he recalls I'm hanging from the hope that I never see THAT recipe again... :) And thus the thread goes on... and on... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Don't tangle my twine!" Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html Because theglobe.com sucks, and it's currently inaccessible, I post it to taunt those who would see it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 22:36:00 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E5F6B0.1DDB9469@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-TMBG 2001 Laura Helbling wrote: > First of all, I realize that I for got too put non-TMBG on my last post, > sorry. You were talking about Stanley Kubrick and that is sad, but > good, for now I have a topic that I know. I saw 2001:A Space Oddyssey > and thought it was really awesome. I love everything:the monkeys, the > theme song, the cool furniture, the times when they spend endless > minutes showing the red light that is HAL, the monolith, the cool ending > that I don't want to ruin.. I remember back in my "searching for 2001 > reference" days, not so long ago, when I thought that was cool that TMBG > mentioned "monolith" in "The Statue got Me High" and that guy was named > Hal in "They Got Lost" Hey, maybe this could be a thread! > the one who hopes she started a thread, > Laura Well, Kubrick was a genius, and if you really enjoyed 2001 and weren't bored by what many would call the longest silences in any film (well, except for silent films, of course), perhaps you should try some other Kubrick films. I've been watching all the Kubrick films I have on tape for the last 3 days, and can gladly say I've enjoyed every minute of it, with TMBG breaks when I had a chance (no Kit-Kats, though). I can't say I can think of any authentic TMBG/Kubrick references, but if you look to the Simpsons, there's an overabundance of Kubrick references from "A Clockwork Orange" to "The Shining." Oh, and welcome to the list. I don't recall seeing your name before, but then I'm not that observant, and I usually am in a state between sleeping and waking, making it hard to focus. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Currently watching 'Full Metal Jacket' and loving it" Scott ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-10 ******************************