Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 11 Thursday, 11 March 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Microsoft thingy... TMBG: fwd: Microsoft Hijinx Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Re: TMBG: change in johns' tune/was, good show bad crowd Re: Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com TMBG: Favorite Dan TMBG: Moshing/Crowd Surfing TMBG: TMBG-Birthday: Kevin Keeler TMBG: More eBay evils?? Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? Re: Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com TMBG: Doctor Worm Single... Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? Re: non-TMBG: let's make laws illegal!!! (just kidding there) Re: non-TMBG: let's make laws illegal!!! (just kidding there) Re: non-TMBG: let's make laws illegal!!! (just kidding there) Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? TMBG: The Statue Got Me High (was Non-TMBG: 2001) Re: TMBG: Favorite Dan TMBG: TMBG, The Simpsons, And You Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Re: TMBG: TMBG-Birthday: Kevin Keeler Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? TMBG: Re:TMBG-Kubrick link discovered in Assyria! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <000b01be6aca$294cf540$b91121cb@wombat> From: "Andrew" Subject: TMBG: Microsoft thingy... Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:46:50 +1100 Now, I'm definately not what you'd call a regular poster to the list, but I've been subscribed for over three years and seen a lot of chats and goings on in here.. and I have to say that this whole topic about hating Microsoft because of the Pentium III's is attrocious. For starters Microsoft have absolutely NOTHING to do with the manufacture or design of the chips... there's this other little company called Intel that handles all of that... maybe you've heard of them? MS have no way to track where you go on the net except the way it's always been done... cookies, which you can disable via either Nutscape or IE... but anyways... I'll stop ranting now... anyone have any idea when the John's are coming to Australia next? I need a fix and soon (I missed them by 3 damn days in NYC last year *sigh*) Stay beautiful, Andrew (ps. Kirsten (aka Brody) if you're still on the list gimme a yell hon :)) Andrew C wombat@hartingdale.com.au "Never attribute to malice that which can be easily explained away by stupidity" - Napoleon (paraphrased) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:48:23 -0800 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: TMBG: fwd: Microsoft Hijinx >A major Microsoft privacy issue* was brought to light by Richard Smith, who >discovered that the company is tracking unique user identifiers in its >registration database, as well as hiding those identifiers invisibly within >MS Office documents, so an Office document can be traced back to an >individual computer user. A reader says this also affects the Mac: > >"It is easy to find your Globally Unique Identifier or "GUID" by simply >creating a blank word document and saving it then opening it with a text >editor like BBEdit or BBedit lite. on the third to the last line after >you've also gone through a lot of registration information from your copy >of office you will notice the letters "PID_GUID" followed by a little >garbage and then 32 digits of numbers and hex values in brackets {}. I do >not know how the last 12 hexadecimal values relate to my Ethernet address >but that is part of my understanding of how this possible feature works on >windows and many more Macs already have Ethernet addresses." [See GUID >specification.**] > >* http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/18315.html >** http://www.microsoft.com/asf/spec3/c.htm C o u r t n e y L . P a t u b o toonie@tmbg.org * cpatubo@sirius.com http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo ICQ #3762743 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E65704.3BAE63D7@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:27:03 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com From: El Dee Bee wrote: >Go ahead and remove that list, no one wants to be on two mailing lists... Speak for yourself. You have some nerve INSTRUCTING Dexburger, "Go ahead and remove that list". Are you afraid that the idea might catch on? Personally, I don't think it will because too many people would be too inconsiderate and lazy to use it but its a good effort and maybe some will give it a try. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:34:47 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: change in johns' tune/was, good show bad crowd Message-ID: <19990310.093457.8894.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein Hehe ...you think that's bad? I was at a show where, along with many people body surfing (or as the Johns call it, "Passing the dude"), I looked up to see a look of shock and horror on John L's face. Upon further inspection of the crowd, I see an empty wheelchair make it's way above the people's heads to the front of the stage...until security finally woke up and saw it. The Johns seemed pretty amused by this fact. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" >Many moons ago I attended a show in (CA, Los Angeles)where Linnel actually >stopped playing because of someone 'floating' and kindly explained to the >crowd that it may be fun to float but people do get hurt and let's not hurt others >while having our own fun. I was totally shocked at the time having never heard >anyone make such a statement at a show. It made me happy to know that >Linnel cared. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:27:44 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Message-ID: <18294-36E68F70-395@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Bongo wrote: Speak for yourself. You have some nerve INSTRUCTING Dexburger, "Go ahead and remove that list". Are you afraid that the idea might catch on? Personally, I don't think it will because too many people would be too inconsiderate and lazy to use it but its a good effort and maybe some will give it a try. Now I'm writing: PREACH ON BROTHA! Thanks Bongo. I thought it was an okay idea. Maybe some people will try it out. And hey, I"m subscribed, so if you join, you get to discuss with friendly people like me! me, DEXBURGER ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:33:59 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Favorite Dan Message-ID: <18290-36E690E7-568@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> We've already been through the discussion about who everyone's fav John is & why, but now I"d like to know who's everyone's fav Dan? me, DEXBURGER ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36E69E45.1D76307B@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:31:01 -0500 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: Moshing/Crowd Surfing > Many moons ago I attended a show in (CA, Los Angeles)where Linnel actually > stopped playing because of someone 'floating' and kindly explained to the > crowd that it may be fun to float but people do get hurt and let's not hurt > others while having our own fun. I was totally shocked at the time having > never heard anyone make such a statement at a show. > It made me happy to know that Linnel cared. When I saw them in St. Petersburg Florida, right after Apollo 18 came out, there was a similar situation. A guy jumped (or was pushed) up onto the stage, then he ran across and dove out into the crowd. Then a 2nd guy decided to try the same thing, got up on the stage, ran across in front of the Johns, and dove off. Unfortunately, there was no consensus among the audience members to catch him. He looked like he hit the floor pretty hard. He sort of bounced off of a few hands, but he went down big time. The Johns finished the song they were playing, then Flans said "I'm not trying to sound like anybody's dad, but you need to watch what you're doing so nobody gets hurt". *** OFF TOPIC ALERT *** STOP READING NOW *** DELETE THIS MESSAGE Glad to see someone mention Kevin Gilbert, his album "Thud" is truly excellent. Very creative, beautiful songs, very well played. He certainly is an Exquisite Dead Guy. (Hey! this *IS* on topic after all!) bert np: Aphex Twin "Come to Daddy" -- My homepage - now updated with even more boring photos and mindless tedium!: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:21:20 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: TMBG-Birthday: Kevin Keeler Message-ID: <9391-36E6AA10-933@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, he certainly has come a long way since his birth in that abandoned barn back in '81, I mean, he is here with us wonderful people. So, to Mr. Kevin Keeler, I have but 1 thing to say...MOOOO! I mean, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <9c0ef873.36e6b6be@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:15:26 EST Subject: TMBG: More eBay evils?? I am really getting sick of this kinda thing: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=75752342 When will this evil be put to an end? And look at the seller's name...hehe...right. PR Mega ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:28:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? In a message dated 3/10/99 1:22:11 PM, PRMega@aol.com writes: >I am really getting sick of this kinda thing: > >http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=75752342 > >When will this evil be put to an end? And look at the seller's >name...hehe...right. > >PR Mega the seller's email (for you non ebay users) is flans@webtv.net ... it's familiar, it's someone that posts on the newsgroup. i'm pretty sure. i remember there was something specific about him, but it's slipped my mind what it was. check dejanews if you're bored, maybe. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990310130358.00885a10@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:03:58 -0600 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGofftopic@onelist.com >>Go ahead and remove that list, no one wants to be on two mailing lists... > > Speak for yourself. You have some nerve INSTRUCTING Dexburger, "Go ahead and remove >that list". Are you afraid that the idea might catch on? Personally, I don't think it >will because too many people would be too inconsiderate and lazy to use it but its a good >effort and maybe some will give it a try. > Well, lemme tell you a story. Jo jo, the airbrush man, went for a walk, upon his walk he came to a fork in the road. Jo jo noticed two signs. One read "Where you want to be." The other read "Where you want to go." I hope this makes things clearer. L "Nonsense is a way of life" DB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002901be6b2d$b0be1460$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Doctor Worm Single... Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:39:19 -0700 Ok. So my day started out all shitty, right? I've been waiting for weeks to get my damned motherboard and case in the mail so I can upgrade my poor little P200 system. So I go to my PO Box, and lo and behold, what do I find there? My Doctor Worm single! I'm so divinely happy right now, someone could kick me in the stomach with steel-toed boots, and I wouldn't care! Thought I'd just inform you all of that. :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico My Shoutcast channel is at 129.138.34.90:7050. No guarantee it'll be up all the time, but at least it's a start, no? Oh yeah. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550 The first Julie Plug tribute page in history!!! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002f01be6b3a$af936420$05a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:12:19 -0800 that CD has been listed a million times. Some of the song titles aren't even right.... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:18:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? okay, i can't find the old messages for some reason (i HATE dejanews) .. but i did find one.. so this is the guy that's selling that dial a song cd. ;P Re: Fear of Pop = Pure Crap!!!!!!!!! Author: John Flansburgh Date: 1999/03/03 Forum: alt.music.ben-folds-five sponsored by: more headers author posting history * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ PURE CRAP I feel so ripped off give me my money back * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:14:30 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E6EEC6.ACCF0F47@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? --------------63F9FDE446E3095260A2CC7E Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit PRMega@aol.com wrote: > I am really getting sick of this kinda thing: > > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=75752342 > > When will this evil be put to an end? And look at the seller's > name...hehe...right. > > PR Mega The best thing to do: send an email to support@ebay.com any time you find such an unofficial recording trying to be sold, especially at the high prices they always get up to. Or just let it go if you don't care if the John's get their dues... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Mag-ma!" Scott --------------63F9FDE446E3095260A2CC7E Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit PRMega@aol.com wrote:
I am really getting sick of this kinda thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=75752342

When will this evil be put to an end? And look at the seller's
name...hehe...right.

PR Mega

The best thing to do: send an email to support@ebay.com any time you find such an unofficial recording trying to be sold, especially at the high prices they always get up to. Or just let it go if you don't care if the John's get their dues...

bobscott@tmbg.org
AKA Bob "Mag-ma!" Scott
  --------------63F9FDE446E3095260A2CC7E-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990310221428.29391.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: non-TMBG: let's make laws illegal!!! (just kidding there) Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:14:20 PST Good whatever-time-of-day-it-is-when-you-read-this, TMBG list! I've been gone for quite a while, visiting relatives in an alternate universe (where cheese is self-aware), but I've returned with a rejuvenated love for life and a new found respect for dairy products as a whole. I want to take this opportunity, having read through 200 posts this afternoon, to tell you all that you're some boring f-ers. Not that exciting of a way to spend an afternoon, but hey, it sure beats cutting your nose off. I propose an idea. Anytime anyone posts a complaint about off-topic posts, let's all just completely ignore it. Anytime someone responds to a complaint about off-topic posts (or responds to such a response, etc), let's ignore that too (starting after this one, of course ;). Or, several people could privately email the complainer/responder and tell them that only dorks and ninnies waste other people's time by talking about this. We'd not only be rid ourselves of this annoying problem, we'd be doing the email community as a whole a service. I think that every email list in the world has the same problem, folks. Let's be revolutionary and try to rid ourselves of it. Finally, some thoughts on breaking the law: >> in their lifetime, merely because they didn't "agree with it" for one >> reason or another. If you stay far away from anyone who's broken a law >> they don't agree with, Mr. Solomon, you won't be standing anywhere near >> anybody. > >that's an absolutely awful (and dangerous) rationale to take. I don't >agree with the "no murder" law, so I'm going to go out and kill people. >Give me a break. Using the old 'slippery slope' argument, eh? Taking a piece of his argument that he didn't entirely define and running it to it's logical conclusion. Well, I think that what the Rev. was actually trying to say here is that breaking a law is different than breaking 'the' law. Or to put it another way, there is a 'spirit of the law'. Come with me for a second on this one. What are laws for? Well, generally speaking, they promote social order. Each specific law attempts to do that in a unique way. Stoplights are there to protect drivers from personal injury. This is the 'spirit' of most traffic laws. Now, I pull up to a stoplight to turn left at 2:00 am, and I realize that it's going to be about 5 minutes before I get a green arrow, and there are no cars in sight. So I say, "Aah, to hell with it" and I turn left on red. Granted, I have violated the LETTER of the law, but I haven't violated the SPIRIT of the law. I haven't endangered myself or any other drivers on the roads. In fact, seeing as how it is 2:00 in the morning, I'm probably pretty tired. Sitting at that traffic light for 5 minutes could very well increase the chances of my falling asleep at the wheel, thus ENDANGERING MYSELF AND OTHER DRIVERS. In this case, the letter of the law is actually contrary to the spirit of the law. So I 'broke a law' and turned left. Have I done wrongly, Mr. Solomon? Farside Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8qtjHc600Ui50AN3g0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:40:40 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: non-TMBG: let's make laws illegal!!! (just kidding there) Excerpts from tmbg: 10-Mar-99 Re: non-TMBG: let's make la.. by "Todd Wetherbee"@hotmail > Using the old 'slippery slope' argument, eh? Taking a piece of his > argument that he didn't entirely define and running it to it's logical > conclusion. Well, I think that what the Rev. was actually trying to say > here is that breaking a law is different than breaking 'the' law. Or to > put it another way, there is a 'spirit of the law'. Come with me for a > second on this one. there is a "spirit of the law," but it's the letter of the law that'll get you in court. > What are laws for? Well, generally speaking, they promote social order. > Each specific law attempts to do that in a unique way. Stoplights are > there to protect drivers from personal injury. This is the 'spirit' of > most traffic laws. Now, I pull up to a stoplight to turn left at 2:00 > am, and I realize that it's going to be about 5 minutes before I get a > green arrow, and there are no cars in sight. So I say, "Aah, to hell > with it" and I turn left on red. Granted, I have violated the LETTER of > the law, but I haven't violated the SPIRIT of the law. I haven't > endangered myself or any other drivers on the roads. In fact, seeing as > how it is 2:00 in the morning, I'm probably pretty tired. Sitting at > that traffic light for 5 minutes could very well increase the chances of > my falling asleep at the wheel, thus ENDANGERING MYSELF AND OTHER > DRIVERS. In this case, the letter of the law is actually contrary to > the spirit of the law. So I 'broke a law' and turned left. just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there. I'm driving down I70 at 1am and there's no one else on the road. Should I go 90mph to get home faster so I can get to sleep? > Have I done wrongly, Mr. Solomon? I'd say so. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:43:09 -0500 Subject: Re: non-TMBG: let's make laws illegal!!! (just kidding there) Message-ID: <19990217.234321.2646.3.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: Renquist L Hedgeloff Saint--er, Sir Solomon said: >just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there. I'm >driving down I70 at 1am and there's no one else on the road. Should I >go 90mph to get home faster so I can get to sleep? > >> Have I done wrongly, Mr. Solomon? > >I'd say so. I wouldn't. Turning at a red light at 2am is quite different than driving 90mph at the same time if only because the latter would be a more easily caught offense; and aside from that is a more dangerous activity to perform whilst tired. Some traffic laws are better broken: crossing a busy street in the middle of the road is often safer than crossing at the light, if only because then it's easier to judge the distance of cars. Not that I'm saying it's good to break the law... but sometimes it's better. jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003b01be6b7b$5d8b1ce0$29370904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:55:17 -0500 Bob "eBay is evil" Scott wrote: >The best thing to do: send an email to support@ebay.com any time you >find such an unofficial recording trying to be sold, especially at the >high prices they always get up to. Not to say you don't know what you're talking about, but my sources say you should send such emails to ctywatch@ebay.com Bob Scott doesn't know what he's talking about, Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:02:21 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: The Statue Got Me High (was Non-TMBG: 2001) Message-id: <36E74E5D.1F4A@wmich.edu> >actually "Statue" is based on the opera Don Giovanni (or >if you will Don Juan) written by...Moliere? did they retire >this song. i can't remember the last time they played live. >as for Hal Cragin, he's more of a "Planet of the Apes" kind >of guy. And here i alwaus thought it was just a lovely song about some tripped out kid..... the statue being the bong he got high from. He then hallucinates that the 'statue' is alive, experiences some physical pain from the 'bad' drugs he did, and awakens later to realize that it was all just a bad drug trip ~Sarah "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:05:58 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Favorite Dan Message-ID: <19990310.221216.17014.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >We've already been through the discussion about who everyone's fav >John >is & why, but now I"d like to know who's everyone's fav Dan? weinkauf no doubt. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004a01be6b7f$021fa700$07a308d0@orion> From: "Kelly Mendenhall" Subject: TMBG: TMBG, The Simpsons, And You Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:21:23 -0800 Well, I was watching the Simpsons tonight as I'm prone to do...and it was the episode where they try to put Poochie into the Itchy and Scratchy show...well anyway near the end of the show where Homer is giving his own lines trying to save Poochie I noticed that one of the production crew that they show was wearing a shirt with a giant squid on it much like that on the cover of Apollo 18...he was off to the right of the screen with a black hair and goatee....of course there was no whale with the squid...but wasn't there a shirt for Apollo 18 that basically was just a giant squid on a shirt? Could this possibly be a vague TMBG reference? Or am I imagining things in a NyQuil induced stupor? Oh no here come the plaid astronauts to take me away!! Later, Kelly ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <842c9522.36e754c7@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:29:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Hello 41- <> I think this is kinda funny. You seem to think that my motivation, my reason for taping and my goal with TMBG is to make a profit from trading ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 01:12:15 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-Birthday: Kevin Keeler Message-ID: wow. thats so cool dexter is doing mankind a great service. smiles are much appreciated CUZ I FUCKING HATE BIRTHDAYS!. well the rain falls down wihout my help, i'm afraid. and the lawn gets wet tho i've witheld my consent. when this grey world tumbles like a cake, i'll be hanging from the hope that i'll never see that recipe again... and thank god all the lame threads are dying down like they should be. ;) --kevin im not so sure that Joey wed a virgin mary... On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > Well, he certainly has come a long way since his birth in that abandoned > barn back in '81, I mean, he is here with us wonderful people. So, to > Mr. Kevin Keeler, I have but 1 thing to say...MOOOO! I mean, HAPPY > BIRTHDAY!!! > > > > ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:57:25 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading In a message dated 3/11/99 12:36:54 AM, NitpickR@aol.com writes: >< >others, your goal would *NOT* be making a profit from it. Besides, lots > >of us have enough to trade that we don't need to let you rip us off, and > >then we can distribute your tapes for blanks and postage.>> i don't think .. well.. MOST people who do 2:1 trades, it's not their motive to rip of the band (although there are plenty who make it a buisness, along with selling bootlegs) ... people like adam here. my personal opinion about being anti 2:1 - to be quite honest - is not because of ripping off the band, but it's because i'm one of those people who hates asking for people to give me things. it's like saying i don't eat meat because of animal rights, but really because i just don't like the taste of it. animal rights would just be a make-me-look- like-a-decent-person excuse to fall back on. but if i liked the taste, i'd eat it. you know? (and for the record, i do eat some meat. i was just using that as an example. ) i mean, if you're against copying something like that... then to follow your belief system, you should not copy the album for your personal use, but instead buy another copy for your car or something like that. where am i going with this? who the hell knows. :) is that clear? prolly not. anyway. *personal content follows:* by the way, a personal request.. can anyone here convert a .mim file image to a .jpg?? i'm dying to see these pictures of a family that doesn't know i exist, and the woman that sent them doesn't know how to send them as a jpg. and my computer will not recognize mim's. (i'm on a mac) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:45:35 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E7668F.21EA3B80@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: More eBay evils?? Amy "Bob Scott is dead, Long live Bob Scott" wrote: > my sources say you should send such emails to ctywatch@ebay.com > > Bob Scott doesn't know what he's talking about, > Amy :) Well, so far, they've only sent me 3 bouquets of flowers, 7 balls of twine, and 1 large orange drink... I assume that sending it to JoanneWoodward@ebay.com would result in the same rerouting that sending it to support@ebay, ctywatch@ebay, or kennykingstontrio@ebay would. Of course, I do still think that the gods of Olympus rule over the net, so maybe I'm just old-fashioned. And if in fact ctywatch is the 'proper' address, perhaps eBay shouldn't make it nearly impossible to find any way to contact them at all. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "No, you can't quote me!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:52:51 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E76843.1D0B2D03@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG-Kubrick link discovered in Assyria! Bob Scott wrote: > I can't say I can think of any authentic TMBG/Kubrick references... Quoting myself again... Anywho, I thought of a tie-in between TMBG and Stanley Kubrick, though it is only a tie in and not some kind of tribute done by either party, so far as I can tell. Here it is: George C. Scott starred in 'Dr. Strangelove, or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb', a movie both produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick. George C. Scott also (as most everyone here must know by now) starred in the movie 'They Might Be Giants', the movie after which the Johns happened to name their band. Coincidence? Or is it something more? I'm gonna go with coincidence, since even I think I'm reaching... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-11 ******************************