Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 13 Saturday, 13 March 1999 Today's Topics: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings Re: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings Semi-TMBG: tape trading, TMBG on soundtracks, etc. Re: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings Re: Non-TMBG: Fribbles Re: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. NON-TMBG: Fribbles, home of Re: Semi-TMBG: tape trading, TMBG on soundtracks, etc. Re: NON-TMBG: Parking Meters (was: semi TMBG: tape trading) Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs TMBG: Flans' commercial Re: TMBG: Flans' commercial Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Flans' commercial Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Re:TMBG: monopuff, sampling, and channel one Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs TMBG: Vote for Flans or die Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs TMBG: Re: Vote for Flans or die Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. TMBG: Don't make me kill you again. Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Don't make me kill you again. Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs TMBG: You're Watching... TMBG: eBay not quite so evil any more! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings Message-Id: <921227044.14256.946@excite.com> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:24:04 PST Someone somewhere on this hugely long list misquoted or misspelled a Red Dwarf quote. It's not 'Mr Fribble' but 'Mr Flibble'. And my two cents to anyone who can tell us what WOO means from the same show ... With love and white-shirted waiters L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private email at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:30:27 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings In a message dated 3/12/99 3:25:05 AM, ldeggs@excite.com writes: >Someone somewhere on this hugely long list misquoted or misspelled a Red >Dwarf quote. > >It's not 'Mr Fribble' but 'Mr Flibble'. but a fribble is a delicious* drink at the friendly friendly's chain of restaurants, thereby overriding some silly red dwarkf quote. fribble, paper, rock. potato judge sentences you to death by cutting off your HEAD! sarah httpcolonslashslashmembersdotaoldotcomslashlimezinger *stereotypically delicious. i'm not even certain it's more than a milkshake. but it works, doesn't it? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:52:08 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Semi-TMBG: tape trading, TMBG on soundtracks, etc. Message-ID: On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > As for 2:1 tape trades, I don't think the trader is profiting significantly. > Yes, they are profiting, but they are also providing a service. I don't see > many examples of people asking an insane price for bootlegs, so I don't see > what the problem is. If you find it distasteful, don't trade with these > people. Unless it is taking money that TMBG could potentially be earning > (ie burning copies of albums), then it doesn't seem problematic. Bear with me; *I* think this is important and needs to be said, and I haven't seen these points made yet: 1. Taping and trading live tapes is a privilege. Bands do not have to allow recording and trading. Many bands allow it only because tapers have, in their experience, adhered to certain ethical standards (i.e. not turning a profit). 2. The taping community would die (or at least be seriously crippled) if all bands had no-taping policies. Tapers depend on the trust of bands. 3. When you voluntarily join a community, you agree to their rules, especially if said rules are vital to the survival of the community. All you people advocating 2-for-1 trades are talking about seriously threatening someone else's hobby (and hard-core traders are pretty darn passionate about their hobby) for your personal gain. That's not a nice buisness. Would you like it if someone destroyed your hobby or made it much more difficult to pursue? As an analogy: I live not far from a college that maintains an observatory. On certain nights (alternate Fridays, I think), the public is allowed to visit *provided they don't bother the scientists*. Suppose an inconsiderate twerp visits and decides to sing "See The Constellation" loudly and off-key. The scientists will be annoyed, and may decide to suspend/revoke public visiting hours. The people who have been quietly visiting the observatory for years will be seriously pissed off. My point here is that it takes only a very small amount of offenses before the plug gets pulled, and when it does, innocent people get caught in between. I say this because the anti-2:1 crowd's arguments sound self-righteous when they are, in fact, more about preservation of a fragile community than self-congratulation. It's difficult to make an argument for moral restraint and *not* sound holier-than-thou. > >>actually "Statue" is based on the opera Don Giovanni (or ...which he didn't know when he wrote it... :) (according to Live! In New York, anyway) > Does anyone know about tmbg making a song for the soundtrack to > Hitting the Ground. I haven't even heard of the movie. Hmm. No, I hadn't heard that. Which song, do you know? > > And I've been cursed by the potato wizard from Idaho, so that I have to > > remain on this list for all eternity. > Whatever you do, don't anger the potato king... Mr. Fribble doesn't like > that! :P Are either of you the person who e-mailed the Edheads list last month claiming to be the Gnome King? :) > > paying someone else's parking meter is not illegal - it's just generous. > > (and I haven't done that, either) > There was a lady who was arrested for paying other people's meters > in this country. I never found out if she was convicted, has anyone > heard about this? I think it happened within the past year. A guy got arrested for this (they claimed it was something like "disturbing the peace", as I recall) in Santa Cruz two years ago. I remember it only because it struck me as an astoundingly un-Santa-Cruz-esque thing to do. (For you non-Californians, Santa Cruz is a groovy, mellow hippie town.) Can't remember if he got off or not. > Can someone please direct me to an mp3 of Dark and Metric???? No mp3s, although if you're the determined type you could probably turn it into one. The QuickTime is up at www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/ . --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If I had no home, I'd build one in the sand. If I didn't have a love, I'd find me one."--Eddie From Ohio, "Sahara" Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:10:52 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E8DA1C.41B89C45@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 3/12/99 3:25:05 AM, ldeggs@excite.com writes: > > >Someone somewhere on this hugely long list misquoted or misspelled a Red > >Dwarf quote. > > > >It's not 'Mr Fribble' but 'Mr Flibble'. > > but a fribble is a delicious* drink at the friendly friendly's chain of > restaurants, thereby overriding some silly red dwarkf quote. > > fribble, paper, rock. > > potato judge sentences you to death by cutting off your HEAD! Well, there's one more Potato Judge sighting for the books :) Maybe he'll sentence Fresh Step to death... And I was the original quoter, ending the quote with the fact that I was definately misquoting, as I hadn't seen that episode for months... Sorry if I offended any Red-ies (I just had to ruin any possibility of using a decent nickname there, because I'm among the group), as I was aiming my hate more at the wishniks. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Dwayne Diggley" Scott :P ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:57:24 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Fribbles Message-ID: On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > but a fribble is a delicious* drink at the friendly friendly's chain of > restaurants, thereby overriding some silly red dwarkf quote. > [snip] > *stereotypically delicious. i'm not even certain it's more than a milkshake. > but it works, doesn't it? Oh my dear lord. Sarah has just made my day...er, late night...er, early morning...whatever...by mentioning the Fribble. You see now, I come from Ohio, where the Friendly's chain lives and grows and feeds millions (maybe). But now I am in St. Louis, where I don't believe any Friendly's restaurants exist (and if they do, they're not very close). And I now suffer from Fribble withdrawl. They ruled. But hey...we got Del Taco and Jack in the Box, which ALMOST makes up for it. Sorry. The Rev np: Pavement--Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004601be6c8d$4319b7a0$aab3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:35:43 -0000 -----Original Message----- From: Leon X. Deggs To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Date: 12 March 1999 08:24 Subject: Non-TMBG: Incorrect Quotes/Spellings >Someone somewhere on this hugely long list misquoted or misspelled a Red >Dwarf quote. > >It's not 'Mr Fribble' but 'Mr Flibble'. Probably a type-o >And my two cents to anyone who can tell us what WOO means from the same show With Out Oxygen "No Oxygen for 2 hours, that'll teach you to be Fruitcakes" - A J Rimmer -- Uncle ""we couldn't possibly do that, who'd clean up the mess!?" Squid ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903121500.KAA12828@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:00:41 -0500 (EST) > today, i was driving my car. when driving my car, i often choose to partake in > some radio entertainment. i listened for a while, then noticed a strange > coincidence (or...maybe not a coincidence at all...) had occurred. the DJ > played the new rob zombie song "living dead girl," immediately followed by a > song called "my own worst enemy"! so....either the DJ has been listening to a > little factory showroom, or TMBG's influence is spreading far and wide... So Becky, do tell, what radio station is this and where are they located so people can call up and request more of that song and other TMBG songs? -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E92E08.189847D0@sevenlands.com> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:08:56 -0500 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. I've been reading this thread, yet resisting putting my two cents in...till now. I don't quite understand how everyone is defining this whole 2:1 or 1:1 trade. Correction: I understand, but think it's illogical reasoning. As someone who's been involved in video and audio trading since '82 or so, I think many of y'all have got it back-asswards. No, I'm not a regular trader...but have traded and know lots of people who do it quite regularly. A trade is defined as exchanging something for something else. If someone sends me a tape of material in exchange for another tape of material, it is a 1:1 trade--we each gain a new tape with new material. If someone sends me one blank tape in exchange for a tape of material, it is a 1:1 trade--I gain a blank, he/she gains the new material. If someone sends me a tape, and I put music on it and send it back to them, it is a very nice thing to do... Would I do it personally? Sure! But, it's not a trade, It's a gift. I fail to see how giving someone something (the music) and them giving you something (a blank tape) constitutes "making a profit". I suppose if you consider the only "real" exchange the exchange of a magnetic tape in plastic casing with cute little metal screws holding it all together, then the taper is profiting. But, fact is, they have given the other party something they didn't have (music). I don't think it's terribly mercenary to receive a blank tape in exchange for said music...that is a trade, not a profit. What many of you are calling 2:1 trading simply is not. If so-and-so told me, "You must send me two tapes containing music, and I will only send you one.", that'd be 2:1 trading and that would be unfair. But the blank in exchange for taping something has been a standard in trading circles for a long time. It helps new traders get material, and provides the long-time traders with blanks to get new stuff to trade one day. So, what's the problem? CN ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903121515.KAA15028@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: NON-TMBG: Fribbles, home of Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:15:14 -0500 (EST) > > Oh my dear lord. Sarah has just made my day...er, late night...er, early > > morning...whatever...by mentioning the Fribble. You see now, I come from > > Ohio, where the Friendly's chain lives and grows and feeds millions > > (maybe). But now I am in St. Louis, where I don't believe any Friendly's > > restaurants exist (and if they do, they're not very close). And I now > > suffer from Fribble withdrawl. They ruled. Ahh, but Ohio can't serve more than *Willoghby (sp?), Massachusetts, the home of Friendly's where, if you drive by on the road you will see a giant Friendly's design carved out in the grass on a hill. -Matt *I think that was the name of the town ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:36:03 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: tape trading, TMBG on soundtracks, etc. Message-ID: First off, amen Nicole! Profiting from bootleg trading jeopardizes everyone's bootlegging fun. On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Nicole Carlson wrote: > > There was a lady who was arrested for paying other people's meters > > in this country. I never found out if she was convicted, has anyone > > heard about this? I think it happened within the past year. > > A guy got arrested for this (they claimed it was something like > "disturbing the peace", as I recall) in Santa Cruz two years ago. I'm beginning to wonder if this is some sort of urban legend... Kirsten "Tangled in the fallen vines, picking up the punchlines I know I'm faking it..." - Simon & Garfunkel, "Fakin' It" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312154435.6008.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Parking Meters (was: semi TMBG: tape trading) Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:44:35 PST >On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Nicole Carlson wrote: > >> > There was a lady who was arrested for paying other people's meters >> > in this country. I never found out if she was convicted, has anyone >> > heard about this? I think it happened within the past year. >> >> A guy got arrested for this (they claimed it was something like >> "disturbing the peace", as I recall) in Santa Cruz two years ago. > > I'm beginning to wonder if this is some sort of urban legend... > Actually, I'm pretty sure this is true. I think the reason behind the arrests (I've kind of been skimming through this thread so forgive me if someone else has mentioned this) is that parking meters are there for a reason. They're usually placed in areas with a lot of traffic and/or high demand for parking. The existance of parking meters supposedly encourages people to get back to the car and leave before their meter runs out, thus allowing someone else a chance to get the parking spot. If someone goes around putting money in everyone's meters, the owners of the cars can then stay longer without using up their own money and at the same time denying other people parking spaces. This is not to say I agree with this law, mind you, this is just the explanation I had heard. --Jason-- Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E9371E.A8500DC8@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:47:42 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. carlyn nugent wrote: > > I've been reading this thread, yet resisting putting my two cents > in...till now. I don't quite understand how everyone is defining this > whole 2:1 or 1:1 trade. Correction: I understand, but think it's > illogical reasoning. As someone who's been involved in video and audio > trading since '82 or so, I think many of y'all have got it > back-asswards. No, I'm not a regular trader...but have traded and know > lots of people who do it quite regularly. Have I not explained this in long drawn out messages before? I agree that we are using 1:1 as a misnomer for a B+P trade. Arguing over that is pretty stupid. Can we quit it? > I fail to see how giving someone something (the music) and them giving > you something (a blank tape) constitutes "making a profit". I suppose > if you consider the only "real" exchange the exchange of a magnetic tape > in plastic casing with cute little metal screws holding it all together, > then the taper is profiting. But, fact is, they have given the other > party something they didn't have (music). I don't think it's terribly > mercenary to receive a blank tape in exchange for said music...that is a > trade, not a profit. That's a B+P. That's not a profit at all. That's the standard way to get newbies tapes without making anything off them. Whether the newbie sends me a blank tape and I use it and send it back to them or whether the newbie sends me a blank tape and I use one of my blanks to tape something for them and send it to them is irrelevant. The same thing happened in both cases. I don't think anyone is saying either way is making a profit. > What many of you are calling 2:1 trading simply is not. If so-and-so > told me, "You must send me two tapes containing music, and I will only > send you one.", that'd be 2:1 trading and that would be unfair. But the > blank in exchange for taping something has been a standard in trading > circles for a long time. It helps new traders get material, and > provides the long-time traders with blanks to get new stuff to trade one > day. So, what's the problem? Look. The #:# terminology means "Number of tapes you send" : "Number of tapes you get back". It isn't "Number of tapes I get" : "Number of tapes you get". It's you send 2 tapes, you get one back. Someone got that other tape and profitted off this whole thing and that is (like Nicole put it very well) profitting off the trust the band has given you in allowing you to tape. The "It helps new traders get material, and provides the long-time traders with blanks to get new stuff to trade one day" is purely a complete rationalization to why you are making the profit even though you shouldn't be. If I make 500 2:1 trades like that, I come away with 500 blank tapes. That's one hell of a profit. And to a trader, a blank tape is as a good as money because they're just gonna use the money to buy blanks anyways. What I've gotten out of this whole discussion is: Don't trade with certain people who don't understand that taping is a privelege. Violating the trust of the band by making a profit off taping hurts everyone who wants to enjoy live show tapes and if you choose to do that, you hurt me and I don't like you hurting me. That's why Lawrence keeps pounding his chest at you people. He doesn't want to hurt the trust the band places in their fans. Especially in TMBG's case where the right to tape is barely there anyways. The Johns feel uneasy about it, but they used fan recordings on their live album. Moxy Fruvous did the same thing (and I think the audience recorded tracks on Live Noise - Lowest Highest Point and Kasparov vs. Deep Blue - sound a whole lot better than the Apes tracks) and now they have a formal taping policy. We are getting closer to that with TMBG, but if we toss out the trust and do unethical trading, it's not gonna help us any at all. - Chad ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:44:18 -0500 Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? Message-ID: <19990312.105226.2846.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein Could this possibly be the inspiration for the TMBG song? Perhaps the singer was "the guy with the messed up face". Derek "What is everyone staring at?" >played the new rob zombie song "living dead girl," immediately followed by a >song called "my own worst enemy"! so....either the DJ has been listening to a >little factory showroom, or TMBG's influence is spreading far and wide... ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:12:59 EST From: not knowing knowledge never ennobled Message-ID: <009D5001.C08983C0.114@kenyon.edu> Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? From: MX%"elrond@charm.net" "Matt James" 12-MAR-1999 09:58:48.36 To: MX%"rayr@kenyon.edu" CC: MX%"tmbg-list@tmbg.org" Subj: Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? > > today, i was driving my car. when driving my car, i often choose to partake in > > some radio entertainment. i listened for a while, then noticed a strange > > coincidence (or...maybe not a coincidence at all...) had occurred. the DJ > > played the new rob zombie song "living dead girl," immediately followed by a > > song called "my own worst enemy"! so....either the DJ has been listening to a > > little factory showroom, or TMBG's influence is spreading far and wide... > So Becky, do tell, what radio station is this and where are > they located so people can call up and request more of that song > and other TMBG songs? > -Matt hmm...well, good luck. ;) it's KKDM (107dot5) in des moines, iowa. they started off as a great station...i remember it well. back in 1995, they played truly "alternative" music (yeah yeah, whatever the hell that is)...but it truly was music that wasn't being played anywhere else. i listened to it for hours on end. now they've degenerated to crappy "dance" music and generic rock and that ersatz ska and swing stuff. *sigh* but anyone is more than welcome to call and request TMBG...get some of these corn-fed youngsters interested, perhaps. i remember that my copy of "flood" was a big hit at middle school track meets. ;) becky ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312163615.777.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: radio coincidence? Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:36:15 PST Derek A Klein wrote: >Could this possibly be the inspiration for the TMBG song? Perhaps the >singer was "the guy with the messed up face". Does anyone know when this "My Own Worst Enemy" song was recorded? I've never heard of it. I do know, however, that "Your Own Worst Enemy" makes reference to the song "Precious And Few." Does the guy who sings that song have a messed-up face? >>played the new rob zombie song "living dead girl," immediately >>followed >>by a >>song called "my own worst enemy"! so....either the DJ has been >>listening to a >>little factory showroom, or TMBG's influence is spreading far and >>wide... -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312192351.26427.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:23:39 PST That's right! It's long; it's pointless; it's a list of every TMBG song that I can remember hearing (along with Mono Puff and John Linnell solo stuff), in alphabetical order. I tried to indicate who wrote each song, although some of these indications are guesses. For cover songs, if I didn't know the writers' names, I gave the name of the original performer. Any additions or corrections are welcome (although I doubt that anyone will even read it, much less want to make any). Keep in mind that these are only songs that I've heard; you can add ones that you've heard and I haven't if you want. Oh, "F" stands for "Flansburgh" and "L" for "Linnell" (in case you couldn't guess). 25 O'Clock (Sir John Johns) 32 Footsteps `85 Radio Special Thank You About Me (F) Absolutely Bill's Mood (F) AKA Driver (F, Tony Maimone, Brian Doherty) Alienation's For The Rich (F) Ana Ng (L) Ant Auld Lang Syne (Robert Burns) Backstabbing Liar (F) Battle For The Planet Of The Apes Become A Robot Bells Are Ringing, The (L) Beneath The Planet Of The Apes Bewitched, Bothered, And Bewildered (?) Big Big Whoredom, The Biggest One, The (F) Birdhouse In Your Soul (L) Birds Fly Boat Of Car (L) Cabbagetown Cage And Aquarium Careless Santa (F) Certain People I Could Name Chess Piece Face (F) Christmas Cards Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes Counterfeit Fake Counterfeit Faker Cowtown (L) Creepy (F, Hal Cragin) Critic Intro Dark And Metric (L) Dashiki Lover (F, Cragin, Steve Calhoon, Robin Goldwasser, Phil Hernandez) Day, The Dead (L) Dedicated (F, Cragin, Hernandez, Joe McGinty) Destination Moon Devil Went Down To Newport, The (Clamdiggers) Dig My Grave Dinner Bell Dirt Bike (F) Distant Antenna (F) Doctor Kildare (F, unknown) Doctor Worm (L) Don't Break The Heart (Amy Rigby) Don't I Have The Right? (F) Don't Let's Start (L) Doris Cunningham Edison Museum, The (L, Brian Dewan) End Of The Tour, The (L) Escape From The Planet Of The Apes Everything Right Is Wrong Again Exquisite Dead Guy (L) Extra Krispy (F, McGinty) Extra Savoir-Faire (F) Fake Out In Buenos Aires Famous Polka, The Feel Good Sublet, The Fingertips Finished With Lies First Kiss (F) For Science Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) Gas Mask (Gas Mask) Georgy Girl (Seekers) Girls (Betty Wright) Greek #3 (F, Chris Lawrence) Guitar, The (F, Weiss, Creatore, Peretti) Guitar Was The Case (F) Hall Of Heads Hearing Aid Hell Hotel Hello Hello (Gary Glitter) Hello Radio Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal Hide Away Folk Family Hillbilly Drummer Girl (Scott McCaughey) Hope That I Get Old Before I Die Hot Cha Hotel Detective (F) How Can I Sing Like A Girl? (F) Hypnotist Of Ladies (F) I Am Not Your Broom (L) I Beat The Wiz (F) I Blame You (F) I Can Hear You (F) If I Wasn't Shy I Just Found Out What Everybody Knows (F) I'll Sink Manhattan (F) Imaginary Friend (F) I'm Def I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You (George Bassman, Ned Washington) I Might Be Giants Too (Deep Blue Something) I Palindrome I (L) I Should Be Allowed To Think (L, Allen Ginsberg) Istanbul (J. Kennedy, N. Simon) It's Not My Birthday I've Got A Match I've Learned The Value Of Human Sacrifice James K. Polk (L, Matthew Hill) Jessica (Allman Brothers) Joker, The (Steve Miller) Jukebox (?) King Of Wingo, The Kiss Me, Son Of God (L) Kitten Intro Lady Is A Tramp (Rodgers & Hart) Lady, The Letterbox Lie Still, Little Bottle Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow (Walt Kelly) Living Doll Lucky Ball And Chain (F) Lullaby To Nightmares (F, Joshua Fried) Maine (L) Mainstream U.S.A. Mammal Maybe I Know (Lesley Gore) Meet James Ensor (F) Metal Detector (L) Minimum Wage Moving To The Sun (F) Mr. Hughes Says (F, Cragin, Calhoon, Hernandez) Mr. Klaw Mr. Me Mr. Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan) Mrs. Train (L) My Evil Twin Narrow Your Eyes New York City (Lisa Marr, Robynn Iwata, Lisa Nielsen) Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon Night Security (F) Nixon's The One (F) No One Knows My Plan Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes Now That I Have Everything Number Three (F) O, Do Not Forsake Me (F) Older Ondine One More Parade (Phil Ochs) On The Drag Operators Are Standing By Oregon (L) O Tannenbaum (traditional) Out Of Jail (F) Overalls (F) Particle Man (L) Pencil Rain Pennsylvania (L) Pet Name (F) Pictures Of Matchstick Men/Dream Medley (Status Quo, Everly Brothers) Piece Of Dirt (F) Planet Of The Apes Poison Flowers (F) Power Of They Might Be Giants' Dial-A-Song, The Pretty Fly (Walter Schumann) Purple Toupee (L) Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head (L, F) Rabid Child (F) Rat Patrol Reprehensible Respectable/Groove Is In The Heart (unknown, Dee-Lite) Rest Awhile Return To The Planet Of The Apes Rhythm Section Want Ad Road Movie To Berlin Runaway (Del Shannon) Santa's Beard (F) Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love See The Constellation Self Called Nowhere, A (L) SenSurround (L) Severe Tire Damage Theme S-E-X-X-Y (F, Cragin) She's Actual Size (F) She's An Angel (L) She Was A Hotel Detective (F) Shoehorn With Teeth Siftin' Sleeping In The Flowers (F) Smells Like Teen Spirit (Kurt Cobain, Nirvana) Snail Shell (L) Snowball In Hell (F) Sodium Mask (F) So Long Mockingbird (F) Someone Keeps Moving My Chair South Carolina Space Suit (L) Spider (L, F) Spiraling Shape (L) Spy (F) Stand On Your Own Head Statue Got Me High, The (L) Stayin' Alive (Bee Gees) Stomp Box (L) Stormy Pinkness Subliminal (L) Summer Breeze Swing Is A Word Taste The Bass (Cragin) Theme From Flood Thermostat They Got Lost They'll Need A Crane They Might Be Giants This Ape's For You Till My Head Falls Off (L) To All The Girls I've Loved Before (Willie Nelson, Julio Iglasias) Toddler Hiway To Serve Mankind (F) Triboro Tryptophane (F) Turn Around Twisting Unforgotten (F) Unrelated Thing Unsupervised, I Hit My Head (F) We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime Weep Day (L) Welcome To the Jungle We're The Replacements We've Got A World That Swings We Want A Rock What Am I Doin' Hangin' `Round (Monkees) What Bothers The Spaceman (F) When It Rains It Snows When Tornadoes Take Over The World Where Your Eyes Don't Go Which Describes How You're Feeling Whirlpool (Meat Puppets) Whistling In The Dark Why Does The Sun Shine? (Hy Zaret, Lou Singer) Why Must I Be Sad? (L) Will You Love Me In December As You Do In May (?) Window Women And Men Working Undercover For The Man (F) World's Address, The (L) XTC Vs. Adam Ant (F) You'll Miss Me (F) Your Own Worst Enemy (L) Your Racist Friend Youth Culture Killed My Dog -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (who has too much free time on his hands, and likes to list things) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:02:22 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Message-ID: <19990312.150226.2918.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein You have just a little too much free time, eh? Well, here's a couple you didn't list.. 4 of 2 Always Coca Cola (F) Don't Make Me Kill You Again Token Back to Brooklyn You're Watching... Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312202034.24618.rocketmail@web309.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:20:34 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: TMBG: Flans' commercial This might be a stupid and/or common question that I've just missed, but... Does anyone have, or know where I can get, an MP3 of Flans' Coke commercial. I vaguly remember it, but it aired the spring before I was thrust into utter bliss that is TMBG, so I wans't paying much attention to it. Actually I remember thinking that the 'poison flowers' clip was a Beatles parody. I'm not quite sure why now, but I thought the clip sounded very much like the Beatles. == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901be6cc6$39c6b200$2ea6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' commercial Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:23:43 -0800 Speaking of that. what is the story on that Coke Ad? eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:22:03 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Mar-99 Re: non-TMBG: promo items/l.. by carlyn nugent@sevenlands > I fail to see how giving someone something (the music) and them giving > you something (a blank tape) constitutes "making a profit". I suppose > if you consider the only "real" exchange the exchange of a magnetic tape > in plastic casing with cute little metal screws holding it all together, > then the taper is profiting. But, fact is, they have given the other > party something they didn't have (music). I don't think it's terribly the problem is the music has no value, or even existence without the tape - you can't go up to someone and say "I have a handful of music, want to buy it?" Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:22:18 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Message-ID: <19990312.152221.2918.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein I added a couple more...if you don't care, don't read. 25 O'Clock (Sir John Johns) 32 Footsteps 4 of 2 `85 Radio Special Thank You About Me (F) Absolutely Bill's Mood (F) AKA Driver (F, Tony Maimone, Brian Doherty) Alienation's For The Rich (F) 4 of 2 Always Coca Cola (F) Ana Ng (L) Ant Auld Lang Syne (Robert Burns) Backstabbing Liar (F) Battle For The Planet Of The Apes Become A Robot Bells Are Ringing, The (L) Beneath The Planet Of The Apes Bewitched, Bothered, And Bewildered (?) Big Big Whoredom, The Biggest One, The (F) Birdhouse In Your Soul (L) Birds Fly Boat Of Car (L) Brainwashing Our Fighting Boys Bread Hair Cabbagetown Cage And Aquarium Careless Santa (F) Certain People I Could Name Chess Piece Face (F) Christmas Cards Concrete And Clay Confusing His Mind Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes Cupid Counterfeit Fake Counterfeit Faker Cowtown (L) Creepy (F, Hal Cragin) Critic Intro Dark And Metric (L) Dashiki Lover (F, Cragin, Steve Calhoon, Robin Goldwasser, Phil Hernandez) Day, The Dead (L) Dedicated (F, Cragin, Hernandez, Joe McGinty) Destination Moon Devil Went Down To Newport, The (Clamdiggers) Dig My Grave Dinner Bell Dirt Bike (F) Distant Antenna (F) Doctor Kildare (F, unknown) Doctor Worm (L) Don't Break The Heart (Amy Rigby) Don't I Have The Right? (F) Don't Know Why It Takes That Long Don't Let's Start (L) Don't Make Me Kill You Again Doris Cunningham Edison Museum, The (L, Brian Dewan) End Of The Tour, The (L) Escape From The Planet Of The Apes Everything Right Is Wrong Again Exquisite Dead Guy (L) Extra Krispy (F, McGinty) Extra Savoir-Faire (F) Fake Out In Buenos Aires Famous Polka, The Feel Good Sublet, The Fingertips Finished With Lies First Kiss (F) For Science Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) Gas Mask (Gas Mask) Georgy Girl (Seekers) Girls (Betty Wright) Greek #3 (F, Chris Lawrence) Guitar, The (F, Weiss, Creatore, Peretti) Guitar Was The Case (F) Hall Of Heads Hearing Aid Hell Hotel Hello Hello (Gary Glitter) Hello Radio Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal Hidden Track (Mono Puff) Hide Away Folk Family Hi Honey, I'm Home Hillbilly Drummer Girl (Scott McCaughey) Hiya Hope That I Get Old Before I Die Hot Cha Hotel Detective (F) House Of Mayors How Can I Sing Like A Girl? (F) How Much Cake can You Eat Hypnotist Of Ladies (F) I Am Not Your Broom (L) I Beat The Wiz (F) I Blame You (F) I Can Hear You (F) I Find It Hard To Believe If I Wasn't Shy I Just Found Out What Everybody Knows (F) I'll Sink Manhattan (F) Imaginary Friend (F) I'm Def I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You (George Bassman, Ned Washington) I Might Be Giants Too (Deep Blue Something) I Need Some Lovin I Palindrome I (L) I Should Be Allowed To Think (L, Allen Ginsberg) Istanbul (J. Kennedy, N. Simon) It's Not My Birthday I've Got A Match I've Learned The Value Of Human Sacrifice James K. Polk (L, Matthew Hill) Jessica (Allman Brothers) Joker, The (Steve Miller) Jukebox (?) King Of Wingo, The Kiss Me, Son Of God (L) Kitten Intro Lady Is A Tramp (Rodgers & Hart) Lady, The Letterbox Lie Still, Little Bottle Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow (Walt Kelly) Living Doll Lucky Ball And Chain (F) Lullaby To Nightmares (F, Joshua Fried) Maine (L) Mainstream U.S.A. Mammal Mario Speaks Maybe I Know (Lesley Gore) Meet James Ensor (F) Metal Detector (L) Minimum Wage Moving To The Sun (F) Mr. Hughes Says (F, Cragin, Calhoon, Hernandez) Mr. Klaw Mr. Me Mr. Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan) Mrs. Cinderella Mrs. Train (L) My Evil Twin Narrow Your Eyes New York City (Lisa Marr, Robynn Iwata, Lisa Nielsen) Next Plane To London, The Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon Night Security (F) Nixon's The One (F) No One Knows My Plan Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes Not Too Clear, Not Too Long Now That I Have Everything Number Three (F) O, Do Not Forsake Me (F) Older Ondine One More Parade (Phil Ochs) On The Drag Operators Are Standing By Oregon (L) O Tannenbaum (traditional) Out Of Jail (F) Overalls (F) Particle Man (L) Pencil Rain Pennsylvania (L) Pet Name (F) Pictures Of Matchstick Men/Dream Medley (Status Quo, Everly Brothers) Piece Of Dirt (F) Planet Of The Apes Poison Flowers (F) Power Of They Might Be Giants' Dial-A-Song, The Pretty Fly (Walter Schumann) Purple Toupee (L) Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head (L, F) Rabid Child (F) Rat Patrol Reprehensible Respectable/Groove Is In The Heart (unknown, Dee-Lite) Rest Awhile Return To The Planet Of The Apes Rhythm Section Want Ad Road Movie To Berlin Runaway (Del Shannon) Santa's Beard (F) Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love See The Constellation Self Called Nowhere, A (L) SenSurround (L) Severe Tire Damage Theme S-E-X-X-Y (F, Cragin) She's Actual Size (F) She's An Angel (L) She Was A Hotel Detective (F) Shoehorn With Teeth Siftin' Sleeping In The Flowers (F) Smells Like Teen Spirit (Kurt Cobain, Nirvana) Snail Shell (L) Snowball In Hell (F) Sodium Mask (F) So Long Mockingbird (F) Someone Keeps Moving My Chair South Carolina Space Suit (L) Spider (L, F) Spiraling Shape (L) Spy (F) Stand On Your Own Head Statue Got Me High, The (L) Stayin' Alive (Bee Gees) Stomp Box (L) Stormy Pinkness Subliminal (L) Summer Breeze Swing Is A Word Taste The Bass (Cragin) Theme From Flood Thermostat They Got Lost They'll Need A Crane They Might Be Giants This Ape's For You Till My Head Falls Off (L) To All The Girls I've Loved Before (Willie Nelson, Julio Iglasias) Toddler Hiway Token Back to Brooklyn To Serve Mankind (F) Triboro Tryptophane (F) Turn Around Twisting Unforgotten (F) Unrelated Thing Unsupervised, I Hit My Head (F) We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime Weep Day (L) Welcome To the Jungle We're The Replacements We've Got A World That Swings We Want A Rock What Am I Doin' Hangin' `Round (Monkees) What Bothers The Spaceman (F) When It Rains It Snows When Tornadoes Take Over The World Where Your Eyes Don't Go Which Describes How You're Feeling Whirlpool (Meat Puppets) Whistling In The Dark Why Does The Sun Shine? (Hy Zaret, Lou Singer) Why Must I Be Sad? (L) Will You Love Me In December As You Do In May (?) Window Women And Men Working Undercover For The Man (F) World's Address, The (L) XTC Vs. Adam Ant (F) You'll Miss Me (F) You're Watching... Your Own Worst Enemy (L) Your Racist Friend Youth Culture Killed My Dog Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:24:48 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' commercial Message-ID: <19990312.152451.2918.2.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein I have it as a Real Audio file, if you want that. Or if someone here could convert it to mp3... Derek "What is everyone staring at?" > This might be a stupid and/or common question that I've just missed, but... >Does anyone have, or know where I can get, an MP3 of Flans' Coke >commercial. I vaguly remember it, but it aired the spring before I was >thrust into utter bliss that is TMBG, so I wans't paying much >attention to it. Actually I remember thinking that the 'poison >flowers' clip was a Beatles parody. I'm not quite sure why now, but I >thought the clip sounded very much like the Beatles. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005a01be6cc6$fc134bc0$2ea6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:29:08 -0800 One more you missed or maybe I have the title wrong or you do I don't know: "What is Everyone Staring At?" eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312204429.26384.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:44:28 PST >the problem is the music has no value, or even existence without the >tape - you can't go up to someone and say "I have a handful of music, >want to buy it?" And the tape has no value without the music. Farside Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:29:34 -0500 Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Message-ID: <19990219.142936.2686.1.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: Renquist L Hedgeloff lawrence said: >the problem is the music has no value, or even existence without the >tape - you can't go up to someone and say "I have a handful of music, >want to buy it?" you cannot, however, argue that music is not a definite, tangible (in the eyes of the law) commodity. if it were not, then i should not be able to hold rights on any one song and there would be no recording laws: and in that way, music IS bought. peace, love, and good hapiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312205150.21373.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:51:49 PST eRiCh wrote: >One more you missed or maybe I have the title wrong or you do I >don't know: > >"What is Everyone Staring At?" I've heard of that song, but I haven't actually heard it. Does anyone have a sound file or something of it? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:59:11 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re:TMBG: monopuff, sampling, and channel one Message-id: <36E9801F.68D9@wmich.edu> >hi. any high scholl students out there? did any of you channel one >watchers notice that the song that was being played during the pop quiz >had the same sample in it as "dedicated" does, about 9 seconds in to it? >well, it was. thats all. ill be over there in my snail shell. Well, I am not a high skooler, nor have i any clue of what this channel one thing is.... and i am not familiar with this sample..... but (honestly, this is realted, bear with me k?) The other day i was listening to my beloved college radio station when they played this funky dance mix song.... and i kept hearing "not only, but especially for the ladies" from Dedicated. I think someone mentioned hearing this before.... anyone have details on it? ~Sarah "In the small pond, you'll be a big fish" >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:25:35 -0500 Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Message-ID: <19990219.142538.2686.0.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: Renquist L Hedgeloff On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:47:42 -0500 Chad Maloney writes: >Have I not explained this in long drawn out messages before? I agree >that we are using 1:1 as a misnomer for a B+P trade. Arguing over >that is pretty stupid. Can we quit it? that highly approaches a flame, sir. i understand frustration with continuously having to argue a point in which you believe yourself correct, but an indirect insult is an insult just the same. let's keep it clean. >The "It helps new traders get material, and provides the long-time >traders >with blanks to get new stuff to trade one day" is purely a complete >rationalization to why you are making the profit even though you >shouldn't be. If I make 500 2:1 trades like that, I come away with >500 blank tapes. That's one hell of a profit. And to a trader, a blank >tape is as a good as money because they're just gonna use the money >to buy blanks anyways. a small nitpick, sir. it really hasn't become clear to me how such a small inconvenience to the person gaining new material as sending an extra blank tape makes it so wrong for a profit of any kind to be made. you ARE providing a service. i had acrylic extensions put on my right-hand nails today... because it is a priviledge to be able to purchase the materials for nail acrylic, should the manicurist not have charged me? she didn't work much. granted, she worked harder than it takes to copy a blank tape--but then again, i payed her twenty bucks, not a one-dollar blank tape. disclaimer: as i've said, i personally would not ask for an extra blank tape and instead perform the service free of charge. i however do not see anything wrong with asking for some compensation, as long as it is not hurting the purchasing party. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312210702.8300.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:07:01 PST Derek A Klein wrote: >Concrete And Clay Does anyone know who wrote this one? I know it's not a TMBG original. (In fact, I'm pretty sure they played the original version in "Rushmore.") >We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime This doesn't really sound like a TMBG original, but, once again, I have no idea who did write it. I think I've seen lyrics similar to those of this song written down somewhere, though. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312212738.25641.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:27:38 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Vote for Flans or die sorry for my rude nature but i'm increcibly pissed right now. They restarted the Person of the century poll after I voted like 600 times Flans isn't on yet but the 20th place only has 161 votes so vote for flans -Chris _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <8d2baaad.36e987c1@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:31:45 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs In a message dated 3/12/99 3:26:27 PM, captainmarvel2@juno.com writes: >Dark And Metric (L) that song has been in my head all day today... NOtaxi...COULDtakeyou.. has anyone made an mp3 of it? it'd be so much easier to listen to:) well i *did* have D&M in my head; that is, until i found an import sloan cd with a bonus track (!!) and a combustible edison cd at borders today. D&M gets put aside for a while. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger go there. because. i say. it's fun. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:58:44 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7cc27a$dcc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Todd Wetherbee wrote in message <19990312204429.26384.qmail@hotmail.com>... >>the problem is the music has no value, or even existence without the >>tape - you can't go up to someone and say "I have a handful of music, >>want to buy it?" > > >And the tape has no value without the music. Really? want to point me to someplace I can get tapes for free? -Jay ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <8180a330.36e98bd2@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:49:06 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs In a message dated 3/12/99 4:08:35 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >Derek A Klein wrote: >>Concrete And Clay > >Does anyone know who wrote this one? I know it's not a TMBG original. > >(In fact, I'm pretty sure they played the original version in >"Rushmore.") > according to stumpbox, it's "unit 4+2" .. yes, 4, 2, .. for you 4/2 people. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:19:11 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E992DE.3D3630F7@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Vote for Flans or die --------------FB3930A567B8088A04CA5F4F Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit KRS Tyler wrote: > sorry for my rude nature but i'm increcibly pissed right now. They > restarted the Person of the century poll after I voted like 600 times > Flans isn't on yet but the 20th place only has 161 votes so vote for > flans > > -Chris > Kind of defeats the purpose of voting in the poll if they just restart it when they don't like what they see... So much for freedom of speech. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Still gonna vote, gluing his poster" Scott --------------FB3930A567B8088A04CA5F4F Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit KRS Tyler wrote:
sorry for my rude nature but i'm increcibly pissed right now.  They
restarted the Person of the century poll after I voted like 600 times
Flans isn't on yet but the 20th place only has 161 votes so vote for
flans

-Chris

Kind of defeats the purpose of voting in the poll if they just restart it when they don't like what they see... So much for freedom of speech.

bobscott@tmbg.org
AKA Bob "Still gonna vote, gluing his poster" Scott

--------------FB3930A567B8088A04CA5F4F-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E996BC.360C854C@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:35:40 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. "Jay G." wrote: > > Todd Wetherbee wrote in message <19990312204429.26384.qmail@hotmail.com>... > >And the tape has no value without the music. > > Really? want to point me to someplace I can get tapes for free? Sure!! It's easy! Just trade with some TMBG fan who will do B+P trades (costing you nothing more than enough blanks to get the amount of music you want) and then start trading 2:1 trades and 3:1 trades with people who want to do it! Loads of free tapes!!! Jay - everyone's one page phonebook said: > writes: > > >Have I not explained this in long drawn out messages before? I agree > >that we are using 1:1 as a misnomer for a B+P trade. Arguing over > >that is pretty stupid. Can we quit it? > > that highly approaches a flame, sir. i understand frustration with > continuously having to argue a point in which you believe yourself > correct, but an indirect insult is an insult just the same. let's keep > it clean. Not flaming indirectly or directly there. I was calling the argument stupid, not the people doing the arguing (especially since I'm one of them). I honestly would like us to stop arguing over semantics here. I think the people that care about the issue know what we are disagreeing about and whether we call it 1:1 or B+P or anything else doesn't really matter. That's what I was saying. I'm sorry if it sounded harsh when typed out. > a small nitpick, sir. it really hasn't become clear to me how such a > small inconvenience to the person gaining new material as sending an > extra blank tape makes it so wrong for a profit of any kind to be made. The small inconvenience of sending a blank tape has nothing to do with it. The price you have to pay to get that blank tape is where the problem comes in. > you ARE providing a service. i had acrylic extensions put on my > right-hand nails today... because it is a priviledge to be able to > purchase the materials for nail acrylic, should the manicurist not have > charged me? she didn't work much. It's not a privelege to be able to purchase materials for nail acrylic. That's a business that exists primarily to take your money. Very big difference there, I'd think. Okay, Lawrence, your turn to take this side. I'm going home. *grin* - Chad ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:39:47 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Don't make me kill you again. Message-ID: <21253-36E997B3-1531@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I keep hearing this song "Don't make me kill you again" mentioned, and I was wondering if it's a real song, or if people are just thinking that Ondine is titled that, since it's a line out of there. If Ondine and DMMKYA are indeed 2 different songs, how come I've never heard of DMMKYA, and where can I hear it? me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:28:57 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Excerpts from tmbg: 12-Mar-99 Re: non-TMBG: promo items/l.. by "Todd Wetherbee"@hotmail > And the tape has no value without the music. tapes have monetary value. in fact, the value of a tape that you bought at the store blank is worth the same amount of money regardless of what's on it. Tapes have a set value; music does not. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990312234121.11735.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:41:21 PST >I Might Be Giants Too (Deep Blue Something) What is the deal with this song? I've had an mp3 of it for a while now, but I don't know what it's all about. Is this a TMBG tribute song by another band? Who's playing the song? It doesn't sound much like either John singing to me... --Jason-- Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990313002437.3007.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:24:37 PST Sarah LimeZinger wrote: >In a message dated 3/12/99 2:25:29 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >>Nathan (who has too much free time on his hands, and likes to list >>things) > > > >a fellow virgo? :) No, I'm actually a Scorpio. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990313003046.6651.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't make me kill you again. Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:30:46 PST Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >I keep hearing this song "Don't make me kill you again" mentioned, >and I >was wondering if it's a real song, or if people are just thinking >that >Ondine is titled that, since it's a line out of there. If Ondine and >DMMKYA are indeed 2 different songs, how come I've never heard of >DMMKYA, and where can I hear it? "Don't Make Me Kill You Again" was a Dial-A-Song. I suppose Flans (or was it Linnell?) liked the phrase, so he worked it into "Ondine." There's also a very similar line in "Extra Krispy" ("Don't make me rock you again," for those of you who haven't heard the song). As for where you can find the song, it used to be on the online Dial-A-Song archive, but it isn't anymore. (It was a WAV, not a MOV.) I'm sure someone still has it. If they do, I'd kinda like a copy, since I lost my original one. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (who's been waiting such a long time now for the good times to start) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990313003359.14299.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:33:59 PST Jason Fickley wrote: >>I Might Be Giants Too (Deep Blue Something) > >What is the deal with this song? I've had an mp3 of it for a while >now, >but I don't know what it's all about. Is this a TMBG tribute song by >another band? Who's playing the song? It doesn't sound much like >either >John singing to me... It was written and performed by Deep Blue Something (the band that did that "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song). I think the Johns might have played and/or sung it on Dial-A-Song, but the MP3 I used to have was done by DBS. (I say "used to" because I didn't like it very much, and deleted it). -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (who might be giants, too) DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:37:25 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: A long, pointless list of TMBG songs Message-ID: <5532-36E9B345-3221@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I Might Be Giants Too (Deep Blue Something) WHOA! You mean Deep Blue Something of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" fame?! I didn't know they did a song about Them! Is this on their C.D.? me, Dexburger ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:56:08 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: You're Watching... Message-ID: <5551-36E9B7A8-68@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> What's being said in You're Watching? Does anybody know? me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004801be6cec$189ee220$ef360904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: eBay not quite so evil any more! Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:54:32 -0500 Well, I went to eBay, emailed one of those email addresses telling them that the Dial-a-Song CD on auction shouldn't be there, and here's what I got: From: eBay Customer Support >Hello, > >Thank you for alerting us to this auction. The auction in question has >been ended by eBay and the Safe Harbor team has been alerted. We really >appreciate the terrific help from users like yourself. Together, we can >all help keep eBay a safe and fun place to trade! The people doing the bidding may be upset, but I helped the Johns :) Amy :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-13 ******************************