Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 16 Tuesday, 16 March 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: What is everyone staring at Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. TMBG: the MP3 war in RS TMBG: Monopuff reference Re: TMBG: Monopuff reference Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go nots at Christmas Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go nots at Christmas Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go nots at Christmas TMBG: is there a... Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go nots at Christmas TMBG: WEB UPDATE Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <000c01be6ebc$a2aff4a0$18a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: What is everyone staring at Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 00:20:05 -0800 Many of you have been looking for a couple of mp3's and I don't know if you found them yet but anyway. for all of you to enjoy I have added the following mp3's to my site: What is Everyone Staring At? John Flansburgh Coca-Cola Ad Enjoy them for a long time to come! eRiCh http://hey.to/giants [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990315160632.14280.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items/laws, etc. Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:06:29 PST >>>the problem is the music has no value, or even existence without the >>>tape - you can't go up to someone and say "I have a handful of music, >>>want to buy it?" >> >> >>And the tape has no value without the music. > >Really? want to point me to someplace I can get tapes for free? > >-Jay You have misinterpreted my statement. What I meant was this: a blank tape serves no purpose if there is no intent to record anything on it (it wouldn't actually have to be music, i suppose). So both the physical item (tape) and the intangible sound waves (recording) are intrinsic to possessing a recording of an event. One has no value without the other. I wasn't measuring value in terms of money (gasp!), but in terms of, well, value. Practical usefulness. Hope this clarifies things. Farside Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199903151651.LAA17692@pop.snet.net> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:49:44 -0500 Subject: TMBG: the MP3 war in RS greetings... i was just reading the latest edition of Rolling Stone during my breakfast time, and on page 25 there's a big ol' article about that MP3 thing everyone was fighting about... and they even mention the johns... but i didn't finish reading it yet, so i thinki'll go do that before my cereal gets soggy. damn communists. jen any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990315170118.7298.rocketmail@send202.yahoomail.com> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:01:18 -0800 (PST) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Monopuff reference There's been a lot of talk about the sample from monopuffs song but in the booklet it says that they took some samples in that song so that might have just been sampled from another song onto the monopuff album. -Chris _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:18:25 -0500 (EST) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff reference Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, KRS Tyler wrote: > There's been a lot of talk about the sample from monopuffs song but in > the booklet it says that they took some samples in that song so that > might have just been sampled from another song onto the monopuff album. > > -Chris My brain hurts... MIKe www.journalx.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:24:42 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go nots at Christmas Message-ID: On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > > Um i have that song on a christmas mixtape but i can't find it at the > > moment you know, another tmbg-related song that would go really well on a christmas mix tape is "careless santa" by mono puff.... > If I'm not mistaken, I believe I heard a version of that song by Da Yoopers, > or some other Minnesota-sounding (stereotypically, of course) group, with a name like Da Yoopers, i would guess michigan, as in U.P., or 'upper peninsula'. --jim kuemmerle, nuts all the live long day... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 3/16 -- GLADE performs at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm 3/19 -- GLADE performs at the holy cow, 250-ish S 500 E, SLC, 10 pm 3/20 -- GLADE performs at burt's tiki lounge, 726 S 100 E (state st.), SLC, 10 pm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:32:02 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36ED6E42.B5BD3B59@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go nots at Christmas Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > with a name like Da Yoopers, i would guess michigan, as in U.P., or 'upper > peninsula'. Can't you just leave Idaho out of one message?! :P bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Exquisite Dead Guy" Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html Damn you Shakespeare!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:36:47 -0500 (EST) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go nots at Christmas Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > > If I'm not mistaken, I believe I heard a version of that song by Da Yoopers, > > or some other Minnesota-sounding (stereotypically, of course) group, > > with a name like Da Yoopers, i would guess michigan, as in U.P., or 'upper > peninsula'. That would be correct; I've been to Da Yoopers Tourist Trap and Museum, outside Marquette, MI. Althought I haven't heard Da Yoopers song by the same name, I'm almost 100% sure that the TMBG song "We Just Go Nuts At Christmas Time" isn't the same song. Somehow I can't imagine Da Yoopers singing, "We just go nuts at Christmas time/ that's when everything falls apart..." in dejected tones. It's not a happy song. Kirsten "Tangled in the fallen vines, picking up the punchlines I know I'm faking it..." - Simon & Garfunkel, "Fakin' It" ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:26:52 -0700 Subject: TMBG: is there a... Message-ID: <19990315.142719.17574.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEy... sorry to be posting to all these forums (especially if you're one of those people reads all of them) but if there is a Chris Graham out there... please e-mail me :D norg, if you could e-mail me as well... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:19:05 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go nots at Christmas Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Mar-99 Re: TMBG: Re: WE just go no.. by Jim Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah. > you know, another tmbg-related song that would go really well on a > christmas mix tape is "careless santa" by mono puff.... here comes that thread again... :) I would offer a 2:1 deal for that mix tape, as long as no one left out Careless Santa, but that would be off-topic, so I won't mention it. next thing you know, we're back to lactose intolerance, myers-briggs personality types, and the coriolis effect. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:01:21 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199903160601.BAA20167@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Guido Subject: TMBG: WEB UPDATE Quick reminder: The Snipe Hunting Home Page has been updated and revamped. We are trying to gain public support after the ASHA and ASPL began their criticism of us and our organization. Don't let them get their way. Don't let snipe destroy your life. Take control and hit the web site. http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~strader/snipe/ This is the first of a series of updates. Watch also for "The Klingon Embassy", "The Metric Calendar", and "Why pi doesn't exist". -- guido@tmbg.org Andrew Strader -- www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~strader/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-16 ******************************