Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 17 Wednesday, 17 March 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Invitation to join TMBGofftopic@onelist.com TMBG: non-TMBG : radio radio radio Re: TMBG: non-TMBG : radio radio radio Re: TMBG: non-TMBG : radio radio radio Re: TMBG: non-TMBG : radio radio radio TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:15:01 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199903160815.DAA28176@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:23:45 -0500 (EST) From: Dexburger@yahoo.com Message-Id: <199903160923.EAA01907@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Invitation to join TMBGofftopic@onelist.com Hello, I would like to invite you to join the TMBGofftopic mailing list. The description of this mailing list is: Discussion of all the off topic posts at the TMBG list. You can join this list by going to the following web page: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/TMBGofftopic If you do not wish to join this list, please ignore this message. Thanks, Dexburger@yahoo.com List Owner ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:30:03 -0600 Subject: TMBG: non-TMBG : radio radio radio Message-ID: <19990316.113005.10694.2.khurby@juno.com> From: mike k i don't like howard stern i do like mancow and every now and then mancow plays a tmbg promo as sung by the johns that is really spider "mancow he is our hero mancow we love you mancow" yeah, the whole thing is pretty amazing okay bye ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:01:26 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: non-TMBG : radio radio radio In a message dated 3/16/99 12:32:35 PM, khurby@juno.com writes: >i don't like howard stern >i do like mancow >and every now and then >mancow plays a tmbg promo >as sung by the johns >that is really spider >"mancow > he is our hero > mancow > we love you mancow" wow. neat. is mancow a stern-like syndicated guy? or a rush limbaugh am radio type guy? or a local guy? unless he's am, i don't think we get him. hmm.. i see him on fox & friends though, he looks like nathan lane with a beard. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000601be6fdf$85121ee0$5fc608d1@seanberg> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-TMBG : radio radio radio Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:02:18 -0500 :In a message dated 3/16/99 12:32:35 PM, khurby@juno.com writes: : :>i don't like howard stern Stern is a god. :>i do like mancow Mancow is well.....I'll elaborate later. :>and every now and then :>mancow plays a tmbg promo :>as sung by the johns :>that is really spider :>"mancow :> he is our hero :> mancow :> we love you mancow" 'tis not a big deal. The Johns do promos for everyone and his brother. I recall one I found in the old WROX bin....."Hi! This is Pat Robertson," "And I'm Felicia Rashad" "of They Might Be Giants, and you're listening to Virginia's modern rock station, 96-X." :wow. neat. is mancow a stern-like syndicated guy? or a rush limbaugh am radio :type guy? or a local guy? unless he's am, i don't think we get him. hmm.. i :see him on fox & friends though, he looks like nathan lane with a beard. Mancow is the morning anchor of Jacor/Premier (2nd largest national syndicator...they have talent such as Limbaugh, Dr. Laura, Mike Regan, and Art Bell) radio networks. He has trouble finding affiliate stations because he doesn't have the following of say, Stern, nor does he lend himself well to anything but music radio. In the grand scheme of morning radio, he's not near the top. Mornings are difficult to sell for networks, as many stations like local morning shows. Really there are only two games in town for syndicated morning radio: Imus and Stern. Mancow is still playing in double A. He's sort of tasteless, but generally his show is massive spans of boredom interrupted by flickers of adequacy. Furthermore, he has yet to really gain a following in a big market. He's Stern-lite for little towns on 20,000 watt FM stations. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Our brain over years...developed a part of the brain that demands worship and belief in life after death as a protective mechanism against the alternative, which is, of course, lights out, worms in and out, right?"--Art Bell on God http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903161911.OAA23122@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: non-TMBG : radio radio radio Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:11:52 -0500 (EST) > like local morning shows. Really there are only two games in town for > syndicated morning radio: Imus and Stern. Mancow is still playing in I heard Imus is pulling in really low ratings, like under a 1 share, or so Don 'N' Mike say. They can't seem to understand how he continues to be put on the radio (or tv). They sometimes read off their ratings and they'll get like 8 or 9 shares or higher and have over 5 million listeners. I wonder how many Imus have? Isn't he about to keel over from old age anyway? I'll take the radio gods anyday over him or Stern. -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990316211657.1719.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:16:53 PST The list seems to be moving fairly slowly at the moment. (I'm speaking metaphorically, of course. I don't expect the list to actually move anywhere.) Since I don't really know anything about syndicated morning disc jockeys, I'm going to make a lame attempt to start some other conversation. I have been looking at a book called _The A-Z of Art_. It doesn't have an entry for the Johns (which is understandable, considering that it's about visual art), but it does have one for song subject James Ensor. The painting used to exemplify his work is called "Death and the Masks," and contains several images of a skeletal Death. The short write-up includes the sentence: "The symbolism of masks, skeletons, and pierrots in his work conveys the traditional meanings of dissimulation, death and despair." This is something that can be seen in the music of TMBG, also. While on the subject of artists, has anyone here heard of Dorothea Tanning? The book contains her painting "A Little Night Music," which I think looks really cool (for lack of a better term). What about Dominique Appia (I think that's how it's spelled; the second letter of the last name is a bit hard to make out), who isn't in the book, but whose "Entre le Trois de la Memoire" I have in poster form? Okay, so maybe that topic isn't interesting to you. How about this, then? I'm thinking of slightly expanding my fairly small musical collection, and purchasing an album. The only problem is that I don't know what to get. Any suggestions? And for you people who like to discuss favourites, what about your favourite TMBG video? I personally like "Ana Ng" and "Birdhouse In Your Soul," largely due to the amount of images in them. I haven't seen any of the videos from Apollo 18 on, though. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36EED336.992DC00F@sevenlands.com> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:55:02 -0500 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > While on the subject of artists, has anyone here heard of Dorothea > Tanning? The book contains her painting "A Little Night Music," which I > think looks really cool (for lack of a better term). What about > Dominique Appia (I think that's how it's spelled; the second letter of > the last name is a bit hard to make out), who isn't in the book, but > whose "Entre le Trois de la Memoire" I have in poster form? Yes and yes. I don't know much about Appia (that is the right spelling) other than having seen some of her work, but Tanning was part of the French Surrealist movement (despite not being French) in the early part of this century. In fact, she married Max Ernst, from that scene...I'm sure she's still around unless she's died quite recently...One of my ten favorite artists is Rene Magritte, another from the same crowd. (The other nine? Leonardo, Munch, Erte, Wright, Goya, Bosch, Parrish, Blake, and Gorey...in no particular order.) > And for you people who like to discuss favourites, what about your > favourite TMBG video? I personally like "Ana Ng" and "Birdhouse In Your > Soul," largely due to the amount of images in them. I haven't seen any > of the videos from Apollo 18 on, though. I haven't seen anything beyond the first "official" compilation video and that lousy quality VivoActive "Dr. Worm". My favorite's still the first one I saw, thought..."Don't Let's Start", though I like all the others almost as well. CN ~~ "C'mon, give us a snog! I promise I won't try and take off your underpants." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:28:39 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Message-ID: <19990316.172852.18294.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. >Okay, so maybe that topic isn't interesting to you. How about this, >then? I'm thinking of slightly expanding my fairly small musical >collection, and purchasing an album. The only problem is that I don't >know what to get. Any suggestions? Faith No More released a post-humos greatest hits album late last year. i've always consider FNM to be TMBG only a lot harder. the new Slater-Kinney i've heard lots of good things about. XTC's lastest is also a worth while venture. i, personally, have been on a bit of Roy Orbinson kick after seeing a documentary on PBS about him. i always thought that he was the Spider-Man villain, Dr. Octopus, when i was very, very young. >And for you people who like to discuss favourites, what about your >favourite TMBG video? no offense to the Johns, but i think that their videos are pretty poor. "ana ng" i like soley because it was beautifully photographed and it my favorite song. i wasn't too impressed with doctor worm nor flans' directing. all of flans' non-tmbg videos i like though. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ "It's a strange world, my friend. We're bound to run to each other. Until then, keep your unit on ya." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990316230935.8560.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:09:35 PST Adam Schaaf wrote: >no offense to the Johns, I'm sure They didn't take any (largely due to the fact that They probably haven't seen this message). >but i think that their videos are pretty poor. Are you comparing them to other music videos, or evaluating them on their own merits? Based on the latter, I'd say that they're quite amusing, but perhaps a bit more low-key (if that's the right term; I suppose I mean to say that I might like to have seen a bit more extravagance in the videos) than I would have liked. I've seen very few music videos aside from the TMBG ones (I don't get cable at home, and generally don't use it at school), so I don't really know if I can judge the TMBG videos' relative merit in this respect. I do think that the TMBG videos are better than ones that just show a band standing around and playing a song, though. >"ana ng" i like soley because it was beautifully photographed and >it my favorite song. i wasn't too impressed with doctor worm nor >flans' directing. all of flans' non-tmbg videos i like though. Hmm. What non-TMBG bands (or songs) do you think tend to have good videos? I probably haven't seen any of the videos that you'll mention, but it might be an interesting topic anyway. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <5e16edbc.36eefbea@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:48:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation You should get Doolittle from the Pixies. I had a TMBG friend on the net recommend it to me and i got it and there now my second fav. band. -Amber the Transcendent Mistress ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36EEEE21.9C16DF28@osu.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:49:55 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Attempts to start some conversation Wow. I only got like 8 messages today. Pretty creepy. Maybe everybody's on spring break (where I'll happily be at this time tomorrow). Or maybe everybody joined Dexburger's list. Or maybe, I'm going CRAZY because I have this huge bio final tomorrow and I spent Way way too much time studying and I hate bio. And, I hate living in dorms. This alarm across the hall keeps going off. Don't tell me who the heck is just GETTING UP at 11:47 PM, but they are. And they keep hitting the sleep button. Sigh. This is what happens when hardly anybody posts.... see y'all in a couple weeks, Diana ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-17 ******************************