Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 21 Sunday, 21 March 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-20 TMBG: Vote for John & John TMBG: Schoolhouse Rock Re: TMBG: Schoolhouse Rock NON-TMBG: Schoolhouse Rock NON-TMBG: schoolhouse rock (take 2) Re: TMBG: Schoolhouse Rock Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:12:11 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-20 Message-ID: On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Yep... most recently, STD got up to #2 on the college charts. Their > records usually stay in the college top 10 for a few weeks. Don't forget--Ana Ng hit #1 on the college charts, back in the day; IIRC, it got and stayed ahead of a U2 song. TMBG shall conquer the world! --nicole twn *** "I was trying to be confusing."--my circuits professor, who thought he was joking Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 11:48:21 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Vote for John & John Message-ID: <5108-36F3FB85-72@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Hey everybody! There's this voting booth thing for favorite male singers, and John & John are 1 of the nominees. They appear on there like this: John & John (They Might Be Giants). So look for that, and VOTE!!! It's here: www.freevote.com/booth/favemale ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 13:32:18 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Schoolhouse Rock Message-ID: <9900-36F413E2-2908@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> A friend of mine came over yesterday and brought with him this Schoolhouse Rock C.D., with a bunch of new bands covering Schoolhouse Rock hits. One thing I found pretty cool about it was that Ween (alleged arch rivals of TMBG) and Man...or Astroman? (part of the TMBG team, as an opening act) were both featured on it. Ween did a song called "The Shot heard 'round the world" about Paul Revere, and Man...or Astroman? did some song that I can't remember the tile of, but it was about space (appropriately). This was also the first time I've heard any material by MOAM? and they were pretty good. That whole C.D. is very good in fact. Go get it! me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:44:53 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Schoolhouse Rock Message-ID: <19990320.164454.27286.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae >>Man...or Astroman? did some song that I can't remember the tile of, but it was about space (appropriately). MOAM? did "Interplanet Janet." It is indeed a good album. I dig the Pavement song a bunch. The album also features Buffalo Tom, Daniel Johnston, Blind Melon, Deluxx Folk Implosion (which is just Folk Implosion with a few extra guys, which in turn, is a couple of the gentlemen in Sebadoh, I believe), The Lemonheads, Moby and others, for anyone interested. Knowledge is power! ever-sincere, eriKa, no more kings we're gonna run our things our own way gonna run our things our own way gonna run it into the ground... "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:55:21 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: Schoolhouse Rock Message-ID: On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > A friend of mine came over yesterday and brought with him this > Schoolhouse Rock C.D., with a bunch of new bands covering Schoolhouse > Rock hits. (snip) :) this cd is one of my favorites, and after months of not listening to it, (why not? beats me!) i was actually listening to it this very morning as i was walking up the hill to work. it came out in the fall of 95, was it? something like that. fall of 95 or spring of 96. anyway, the bright spots on that album for me will always and forever be pavement's version of "no more kings" and blind melon's version of "three is a magic number". although there are numerous happy buttons associated as well with biz markie's cover of "energy blues", deluxxe folk implosion's version of "i'm just a bill", and skee lo's (rather drastic) remake of "the tale of mr. morton"... as a matter of fact, the only songs there with no happy buttons attached are "electricity, electricity" by goodness, and "lolly, lolly, lolly, get your adverbs here" by buffalo tom(?)... (btw, i'm always surprised by the amount of artistic license that was afforded the different musicians on that album; "shot heard round the world" and "conjunction junction" are pretty much dead-on remakes of the originals, while "no more kings" and "the tale of mr. morton" bear just a passing resemblance to their predecessors...) in a similar (but different) vein, i also recommend the compilation album "spirit of '73", featuring covers of "midnight at the oasis" by that dog., "blue" by sarah mclachlan (sp?), "more more more" by babes in toyland, and **amazing** covers of "feel like makin' love" by melissa ferrick, and "killing me softly (with his song)" by cassandra wilson. this one's a little more hit-and-miss than the schoolhouse rock tribute, though; i find some of the tracks to be just barely tolerable. but maybe that's just my taste. anyway, i don't know now easy/difficult this might be to find anymore; i haven't happened across any copies of it by accident. --jim kuemmerle, who only wishes luscious jackson had been on that album too... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 3/20 -- GLADE performs at burt's tiki lounge, 726 S 100 E (state st.), SLC, 10 pm 3/25 -- GLADE performs at ichabob's (in SLC) with matt matteus, 10 pm. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:59:40 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: schoolhouse rock (take 2) Message-ID: On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, e f rae wrote: > MOAM? did "Interplanet Janet." It is indeed a good album. I dig the > Pavement song a bunch. The album also features Buffalo Tom, Daniel > Johnston, Blind Melon, Deluxx Folk Implosion (which is just Folk > Implosion with a few extra guys, which in turn, is a couple of the > gentlemen in Sebadoh, I believe), yep! lou barlow and who else? i can't remember. > The Lemonheads, Moby and others, for > anyone interested. i think the only ones we've left out between the two of us are chavez and better than ezra. --jim kuemmerle, it's WRONG! IT'S WROOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG!!!!!... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 3/20 -- GLADE performs at burt's tiki lounge, 726 S 100 E (state st.), SLC, 10 pm etc. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990320221209.21945.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Schoolhouse Rock Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:12:09 PST eriKa f rae wrote: >Knowledge is power! Yes, but power corrupts. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-21 ******************************