Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 24 Wednesday, 24 March 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Where is everybody? Re: TMBG: Where is everybody? Re: TMBG: Where is everybody? Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns TMBG: Since no one's posting... Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Re: TMBG: Since no one's posting... Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? TMBG: Shecky..the release of "Yummy" Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness, and children's albums Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness, and children's albums NON-TMBG: Tom Green selling out? TMBG: newtmbgshownewtmbgshownewtmbgshow Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness, and children's albums TMBG: Lock Haven, WBER, and Pre-Show Party? Re: TMBG: Lock Haven, WBER, and Pre-Show Party? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990323163314.1457.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Where is everybody? Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:33:13 PST Okay. Some list members might have been away from their computers for spring break or whatever, so I suppose I can expect a bit less traffic. I haven't received a single message since early yesterday, though. Where is everybody? Did the entire list go on vacation, and not invite me? Did people's computers get tired of waiting for 2000 (or "Y2K," as those irritating abbreviation-mongers call it), and decide to crash early? Am I just not receiving messages from the list? Is it all part of a massive conspiracy by evil alien invaders in the shape of umbrellas? Why isn't anyone writing anything? Somebody post something! -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: XTC, Mummer Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:50:41 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Where is everybody? In a message dated 3/23/99 11:34:55 AM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >Why isn't anyone writing anything? Somebody post something! >-- hey woah, i was wondering the same thing... i just have nothing to say :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000c01be7550$599dcd60$cab3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: Where is everybody? Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:12:26 -0000 >Is it all part >of a massive conspiracy by evil alien invaders in the shape of >umbrellas Major-General, they're on to us, get the acme brain-washing machine, nail bits of wood over the windows and doors, feed the cat and put the lawn sprinklers on... Don't open your umbrellas inside! -- Uncle Squid: aNOther DimenSioN, ANotHer DiMeNsIOn, AnoTHEr DImEnSion... Uncle Squid's new site: www.keme.net/~thelimes/uncle_squid/ Carter USM fan chat: http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/carter_usm/ ||| ICQ: 12605535 ||| Tel: (01206) 502043 ||| Fax: (01206) 514682 ||| ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990323180242.3634.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:02:41 PST Sarah LimeZinger wrote: >In a message dated 3/23/99 11:34:55 AM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >>Why isn't anyone writing anything? Somebody post something! >>-- > > >hey woah, i was wondering the same thing... i just have nothing to >say :) Neither do I, but that isn't stopping me from posting. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:27:46 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36F7DD22.C2B99EA3@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Sarah LimeZinger wrote: > >In a message dated 3/23/99 11:34:55 AM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > > > >>Why isn't anyone writing anything? Somebody post something! > >>-- > > > > > >hey woah, i was wondering the same thing... i just have nothing to >say > :) > > Neither do I, but that isn't stopping me from posting. > -- It would appear that the original message has at least allowed us to see which of us are still here. Of course, some of us are in a limited capacity, as crispy M&M's just don't bring bald eagles back to life... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Not dead" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990323193108.26530.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:30:22 PST Bob Scott wrote: >Of course, some of us are in a limited capacity, >as crispy M&M's just don't bring bald eagles back to life... Maybe you should try the peanut butter ones, or the almond ones, or the cabbage ones, or whatever the hell else they have now. Remember when the only varieties of M&M's were plain and peanut? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990323200543.3667.rocketmail@web307.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:05:43 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns O.K. I admit that I'm posting this partially in an attempt to start a conversation (on topic at that!), but does anyone have any suggestions on how to convert friends who have either, no, or a somewhat negative, opinion of Them? I was going to make a introduction mix tape, but I can't think of what to put on it. Any suggestions? === |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <41014da9.36f7f49a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:07:54 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? I'm still here! Reces Pieces are still better than Peanutbutter M&M's, but I like the plain ones Maybe the evil Puppet Head got everyone else! Whose going to be next?! ::pulls out her Alterian Plasma Rifle:: Its not going to be me! ::hides under her desk:: -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity P.S. Maybe they went to the Off Topic TMBG list..I remember someone writing about that.... ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:03:26 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns In a message dated 3/23/99 3:01:35 PM, ttoclat42@yahoo.com writes: >I was going to make a introduction mix tape, but I >can't think of what to put on it. > Any suggestions? make sure you put "ana ng" first. i don't know why, but that seems to be the one to grab people... i've tried to get many people into tmbg, and that was the song that did it if it did it at all. one in paticular said that was the only song he liked. go figure. maybe they put a subliminal message in it. ;) sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199903232019.PAA41678@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:19:56 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Since no one's posting... I think maybe a secret government team has been sent out to abduct the members of the TMBG list one by one, in an attempt to eliminate those who have not yet been brainwashed by popular crappy music. So, for those of us who are left, keep an eye out for suspicious looking N Sync fans and those cars that drive by with the bass on so loud it hurts your ears from 30 feet away. Anyway, since no one's posting, I thought now would be a good time to bring this up. I'm trying to get my hands on every TMBG track that has been released on cd. Eventually I'm going to get to the compilations (XTC tribute, etc...) but for now, I'm concentrating on TMBG releases. I think maybe all I have left to get is that elusive Racist Friend promo with the remix, but I may very well be wrong. Keep in mind I'm excluding O Tannenbaum, etc., since I don't even own a record player. What I have so far: They Might Be Giants Lincoln Flood Misc. T Apollo 18 John Henry Factory Showroom Severe Tire Damage Then:TEY Istanbul (NC) (ep) I Palindrome I (ep) The Guitar (ep) Why Does The Sun Shine? (ep) Back To Skull (ep) S-E-X-X-Y (ep) S-E-X-X-Y (promo) Sleeping In the Flowers (promo) Live!!! NYC Again, I'm just trying to get all of the tracks, not all of the cd's. I'm not looking for an excuse to brag about my collection, either, since I know a lot of you have a lot more TMBG material than I do. All I want to know is, other than the Your Racist Friend remix, is there anything else I need? --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:25:07 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7d8sqq$o1o$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Talcott Starr wrote in message <19990323200543.3667.rocketmail@web307.yahoomail.com>... > >O.K. I admit that I'm posting this partially in an attempt to start a >conversation (on topic at that!), but does anyone have any suggestions >on how to convert friends who have either, no, or a somewhat negative, >opinion of Them? I was going to make a introduction mix tape, but I >can't think of what to put on it. > Any suggestions? I've converted many of my friends by simply subjecting them to their music non-stop when they're around me. They hear TMBG in my room, in my car, especially in my car. Lot's of my friends don't have a car, so I drive them around and play all of TMBG in my 10-disc CD player. After a while of hearing Them in the background constantly, they start listening to the lyrics and grow to like them. I've converted about 5 friends and my girlfriend simply by saturation. However, none of them had a negative view of the Johns beforehand, so I'm not sure how to deal with the sour pusses. -Jay ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:10:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Its kinda messy and involves a hammer, a Q-tip, a tape containing 48 hrs straight of TMBG, and a Hamster. A gerbil can be used in substitute of a hamster tho... -Amber the Transcendent. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000c01be756e$7e2a3420$c8b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:48:13 -0000 >Bob Scott wrote: >>Of course, some of us are in a limited capacity, >>as crispy M&M's just don't bring bald eagles back to life... > >Maybe you should try the peanut butter ones, or the almond ones, or the >cabbage ones, or whatever the hell else they have now. Remember when >the only varieties of M&M's were plain and peanut? Jeezus, we Brits are in the dark ages when it comes to confectionery, we STILL only have the plain and peanut M&M's. Shocking. We only just had Opal Fruits changed to Starburst (silly name) but Marathon has been Snickers since I was a Squidlet (and I'm still not happy about it). Ho-hum. -- Uncle Squid: aNOther DimenSioN, ANotHer DiMeNsIOn, AnoTHEr DImEnSion... Uncle Squid's new site: www.keme.net/~thelimes/uncle_squid/ Carter USM fan chat: http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/carter_usm/ ||| ICQ: 12605535 ||| Tel: (01206) 502043 ||| Fax: (01206) 514682 ||| ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990323205355.22076.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:53:55 PST Talcott Starr wrote: >O.K. I admit that I'm posting this partially in an attempt to start a >conversation (on topic at that!), but does anyone have any >suggestions >on how to convert friends who have either, no, or a somewhat >negative, >opinion of Them? I was going to make a introduction mix tape, but I >can't think of what to put on it. > Any suggestions? I suppose it depends on the person; They play in a fairly large variety of styles, and someone could easily like one of these styles more than another. Be sure to include songs such as "Birdhouse" and "Don't Let's Start," which pretty much all TMBG fans (and even some non-fans) seem to like, and use a variety of songs (some horn-based, some electronic, some string-based, etc.). Also remember that tastes differ, and TMBG isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. If someone really doesn't like the band, trying to force that person to listen to Their music is pretty rude (unless that person has been bothering you with his or her own music, in which case I suppose TMBG saturation might not be all that bad an idea). -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:01:31 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36F8012B.48064EAB@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Bob Scott wrote: > >Of course, some of us are in a limited capacity, > >as crispy M&M's just don't bring bald eagles back to life... > > Maybe you should try the peanut butter ones, or the almond ones, or the > cabbage ones, or whatever the hell else they have now. Remember when > the only varieties of M&M's were plain and peanut? I really think they went to far when they took in Jack Kevorkian as a consultant and marketed those cyanide M&M's. And then of course, Mars turned down Mono Puff's offer to make extra krispy M&M's. Of course, the girls from Venus have always loved the concept of Extra Krispy, and I'll just shut up, since I really have nothing to say... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "In 19 minutes this entire area's gonna be a vapor cloud the size of Nebraska!" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990323210214.9341.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Since no one's posting... Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:02:08 PST Jason Fickley wrote: >What I have so far: > >They Might Be Giants >Lincoln >Flood >Misc. T >Apollo 18 >John Henry >Factory Showroom >Severe Tire Damage >Then:TEY >Istanbul (NC) (ep) >I Palindrome I (ep) >The Guitar (ep) >Why Does The Sun Shine? (ep) >Back To Skull (ep) >S-E-X-X-Y (ep) >S-E-X-X-Y (promo) >Sleeping In the Flowers (promo) >Live!!! NYC > >Again, I'm just trying to get all of the tracks, not all of the cd's. >I'm >not looking for an excuse to brag about my collection, either, since >I know >a lot of you have a lot more TMBG material than I do. All I want to >know >is, other than the Your Racist Friend remix, is there anything else I >need? Offhand, all I can think of is the fact that the version of "I'm Def" on the EP for "The Statue Got Me High" is supposed to be a few seconds longer than the one on _Then_. That doesn't really count as another track, though. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36F801A1.383D5E96@sevenlands.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:03:29 -0500 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Uncle Squid wrote: > > Jeezus, we Brits are in the dark ages when it comes to confectionery, we > STILL only have the plain and peanut M&M's. Shocking. We only just had Opal > Fruits changed to Starburst (silly name) but Marathon has been Snickers > since I was a Squidlet (and I'm still not happy about it). Ho-hum. The "different-yet-the-same" correlation between US and UK confections is quite complicated from my experience...(My last boyfriend was from England and used to send me all kinds of goodies from there, so that's how I've done my research.) Topics (UK) are just about like Snickers (US), with the only difference being the type of nut. Curly-Wurlys (UK) are basically Marathons (US) but a bit smaller. I still haven't tried the UK Snickers, so I don't know if it's the same as the US Snickers or not. Milky Ways are the same, with different packaging...Rolos (Rollos?) are the same. And in a somewhat related area: Hob-Nobs are the most wonderful things on this earth and Happy Faces the most revolting. ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <7c9a4b24.36f801af@aol.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:03:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns I'd put on She's An Angle, a lot of people seem to like that song. Geoff " I LIVE " Craig ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903232116.QAA14461@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:16:17 -0500 (EST) > Topics (UK) are just about like Snickers (US), with the only difference > being the type of nut. Curly-Wurlys (UK) are basically Marathons (US) > but a bit smaller. I still haven't tried the UK Snickers, so I don't > know if it's the same as the US Snickers or not. Milky Ways are the > same, with different packaging...Rolos (Rollos?) are the same. > > And in a somewhat related area: Hob-Nobs are the most wonderful things > on this earth and Happy Faces the most revolting. I don't think Marathon bars exist in the US? UK & US Snickers and Mars bars are pretty similar. I think Jaffa Cakes are the best, though!! yummmmm love the orange biscuits mmm! -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990323213029.29795.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:30:26 PST Uncle Squid wrote: >We only just had Opal >Fruits changed to Starburst (silly name) but Marathon has been >Snickers >since I was a Squidlet (and I'm still not happy about it). I think I like the name "Opal Fruits" better than "Starburst." The former name sounds more elegant (not that the candy is all that elegant, but that doesn't mean the name can't be). -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <31e13444.36f8054d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:19:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns In a message dated 3/23/99 4:09:47 PM, ErgoTM@aol.com writes: >I'd put on She's An Angle, a lot of people seem to like that song. "i found out she's an angle.. i don't think she's obtuse.. i'm worried that i might become acute if anyone else finds out..." my cheap attempt at -- hey! don't forget spitting contest! ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903232135.QAA17312@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:35:44 -0500 (EST) > Matt James wrote: > > > I don't think Marathon bars exist in the US? UK & US Snickers and > > Mars bars are pretty similar. > > I think Jaffa Cakes are the best, though!! yummmmm love the orange > > biscuits mmm! > > Ewww...Jaffa Cakes. Blech. > > OK, back in the day...when the planet was young and so was I...there was > definitely a US Marathon bar. It was a braided thingie of caramel > covered in milk chocolate. It was chewy (due to being all caramel) and > super long for a candy bar (I think around a foot), hence the name > Marathon. > > I'm not actually sure if they still exist...I only remember them getting > smaller as the years went by. I haven't seen one for quite a while, but > that doesn't necessarily mean anything. One of my favorites as a kid > was Milkshake. I usually only see them in a store once every four or > five years, but they are out there still! > > I haven't tried one, but I thought Mars Bar (UK) was sorta like 3 > Muskateers (US). No? Aren't Hob Nobs rather cheap biscuits? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, on the Marathon front, are you sure you're nothing thinking of Charleston Chews? They are rather long and chewy and might have caramel in them. I have a British mini-Mars bar at home and I don't think it tastes like a 3 Muskateers. I will try one tonight when I get home and report on it. Jaffa Cakes are fantastic by the way,I can't believe you don't like them!!! The best is Butterscotch Brittle Cadbury bar, though, and, of course, Dairy Milk mmm, but it has to be the British version, the chocolate is a million times better! -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:46:23 EST From: bunsy-wunsy monchichi Message-ID: <009D58D5.26110160.78@kenyon.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! one word: AERO! did anyone else treasure that combination of textures as much as i did?? becky. > Matt James wrote: > > > I don't think Marathon bars exist in the US? UK & US Snickers and > > Mars bars are pretty similar. > > I think Jaffa Cakes are the best, though!! yummmmm love the orange > > biscuits mmm! > > Ewww...Jaffa Cakes. Blech. > > OK, back in the day...when the planet was young and so was I...there was > definitely a US Marathon bar. It was a braided thingie of caramel > covered in milk chocolate. It was chewy (due to being all caramel) and > super long for a candy bar (I think around a foot), hence the name > Marathon. > > I'm not actually sure if they still exist...I only remember them getting > smaller as the years went by. I haven't seen one for quite a while, but > that doesn't necessarily mean anything. One of my favorites as a kid > was Milkshake. I usually only see them in a store once every four or > five years, but they are out there still! > > I haven't tried one, but I thought Mars Bar (UK) was sorta like 3 > Muskateers (US). No? Aren't Hob Nobs rather cheap biscuits? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, on the Marathon front, are you sure you're nothing thinking of Charleston Chews? They are rather long and chewy and might have caramel in them. I have a British mini-Mars bar at home and I don't think it tastes like a 3 Muskateers. I will try one tonight when I get home and report on it. Jaffa Cakes are fantastic by the way,I can't believe you don't like them!!! The best is Butterscotch Brittle Cadbury bar, though, and, of course, Dairy Milk mmm, but it has to be the British version, the chocolate is a million times better! -Matt * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Return-Path: Received: from hawaii.kenyon.edu by kcvax3.kenyon.edu (MX V4.2 VAX) with SMTP; Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:40:53 EST Resent-To: Rayr@vaxmail.kenyon.edu Resent-From: rayr@kenyon.edu Resent-Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:34:30 -0500 Resent-Message-ID: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (unverified [209.249.97.242]) by hawaii.kenyon.edu (Rockliffe SMTPRA 2.1.7) with ESMTP id for ; Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:34:30 -0500 Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id QAA01435; Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:36:09 -0500 (EST) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:36:07 -0500 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id QAA01416 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:36:06 -0500 (EST) Received: from fellspt.charm.net (elrond@fellspt.charm.net [199.0.70.29]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id QAA01395 for ; Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:35:58 -0500 (EST) Received: (from elrond@localhost) by fellspt.charm.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) id QAA17312 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:35:46 -0500 (EST) From: Matt James Message-ID: <199903232135.QAA17312@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:35:44 -0500 (EST) X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL25] MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: Matt James ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:52:45 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Message-ID: <19990323.165245.10806.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae You know, no matter what method I try, I simply cannot convert any of my friends over to the Giants Side (except one girl - she's taking a bit of an interest in Them in return for my taking a bit of an interest in BareNaked Ladies). Every time I play them around my friends, they all wrinkle their noses and bitch at me to "turn this crap off" (although they were amused when I played the Planet of the Apes Disco Song from STD) - yet I have sat through seemingly endless bouts of just about everything Sarah McLachlan to Led Zeppelin to the Misfits without complaint It's not fair I tell you. Well, wait, one friend of mine likes Flood because her father played it frequently in her younger years, but that's no cause of mine so I guess it doesn't count as any form of conversion. Maybe I should try that hammer, Q-Tip and hamster thing. Oooh! On a side note, a friend of mine played the new Ben Folds Five single for me over the phone last night (they premiered it on a radio station in Philly apparently, Y100 is the station, I believe) - It's called "Army" and is super-freakin'-fantastic! I'm so happy! Everyone listen for it! ever-sincere, eriKa, Have a Fruit Roll-up. Well, aren't ya gonna eat it? Fer Chrissakes! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990323220958.1947.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Converting friends to the Johns Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:09:53 PST Sarah LimeZinger wrote: >hey! don't forget spitting contest! Also, although it's actually Mono Puff, you might want to include "Careless Santa." -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: XTC, Go 2 (I've been playing a lot of XTC recently.) Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199903232214.RAA20981@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:14:04 -0500 (EST) I don't know who wrote: > > OK, back in the day...when the planet was young and so was I...there was > definitely a US Marathon bar. It was a braided thingie of caramel > covered in milk chocolate. It was chewy (due to being all caramel) and > super long for a candy bar (I think around a foot), hence the name > Marathon. > Yes, a quite accurate description of the Marathon bar. As I recall, there was even a ruler printed on the package to emphasize how long it went on and on. These haven't been produced in the US for quite a long time (at least a decade, I would say). Uncle Squid writes: > Jeezus, we Brits are in the dark ages when it comes to confectionery, we > STILL only have the plain and peanut M&M's. Shocking. Don't forget *mint* M&M's! And I agree about British candy bars, they are all identical, being full of raisins and toffee and nougat (and manufacturers in the UK seem to lack any consensus on what toffee and nougat are supposed to *be* exactly...). I think, as far as candy nationalism goes though, that the Canadians have us all beat with their excellent Coffee Crisp bars. I wish we could get them south of the border. m@t ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36F81184.279D6DA3@sevenlands.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:11:16 -0500 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! Matt James wrote: > > > Matt James wrote: > Aren't Hob Nobs rather cheap biscuits? Maybe I'm wrong. Dunno if they're cheap, but they're *good*. Serious yum-yum time. > Anyway, > on the Marathon front, are you sure you're nothing thinking of > Charleston Chews? They are rather long and chewy and might have > caramel in them. Charleston Chews is another one...But, I'm definitely thinking of Marathon. Gotta remember, according to the info I saw on this group (from a poll conducted before I got here), I'm...ahem...more senior than most of you. (I don't know about you personally, of course. But, maybe I remember something that's before your time.) > I have a British mini-Mars bar at home and I don't think it tastes > like a 3 Muskateers. I will try one tonight when I get home > and report on it. Thank you for your contribution to this important research. > Jaffa Cakes are fantastic by the way,I can't believe you don't like > them!!! Probably because I don't like orange. CN ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:18:55 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Where is everybody? Message-ID: <19990323.152053.18166.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Remember when >the only varieties of M&M's were plain and peanut? we could start the "which are better... canadian smarties or american?" thread over here... that'd give us something to talk about. :) i'm all for the canadian smarties... as i must say they are the greatest candy ever :) mmm... chocolate :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ From: GlamMonst@aol.com Message-ID: <8e46c7f5.36f81645@aol.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:31:33 EST Subject: TMBG: Shecky..the release of "Yummy" Hey TMBG fans....anyone who recieved a free demo CD( and for those who didn't..there's still a few kicking around)...The release of "Yummy" is official... For now you can get it direct through "Shecky" 61 Sycamore St, Belmont MA 02478. We're setting up other distribution channels but if you want the album faster, this is the best way....IT'S A BIG FUN POP RECORD...with very warm and fuzzy packaging.....so let us know....Peace, Tiny ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <8e47a6bc.36f8199e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:45:50 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness! well, i guess this thread proves that that 'off topic tmbg' list is moot. :) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:38:31 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness, and children's albums Message-ID: <19990422.173836.2686.1.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: Renquist L Hedgeloff Lord knows I've most probably hopped upon this bandwagon too late, but in valuing your taste buds you must hear me out! I am not so much a connoisseur of confection in any respect, as I tend to stay away from chocolate its ilk, but recently our house has been flooded with food and candies of every sort (I wonder why this is considered proper condolence for a family member's death), and I've had little else to do but .. well. Eat. In doing so I came across a peculiar candy bar with which I was not familiar: the 100 Grand. Packaged rather like Mounds, each wrapper containes two halves of nutty goodness that is so insurmountably good that I cannot suppress my desire to spread the word, and this has given me perfect oppurtunity to do so! Hooray! Eat 100 Grands! On to a topic of more They relation: what sort of songs does the general concensus deem will be contained within TMBG's upcoming children's album? I ask this because, earlier this week, I was listening to the children's album of Tom Chapin, brother of the late folk/huminitarian great Harry Chapin, and found it .. erm. One could call it terrible beyond every belief. I've never listened to anything so .. condescending in my admittedly short life, even to children. Between songs about libraries ("Gonna say hi to the DICTionary!") and Alphabet Soup ("Dinner time's comin, how about a treat?"), the desire Mr. Chapin has to inspire children to the act of learning is shown with his pathetic attempt. What do the children learn, their alphabet? They should already know that. That men can turn into whales, or that Whinnie the Pooh is going to come to life upon visiting the library? Feh! I just wish to express my own hope that the Johns take a more scientific and .. fun approach to learning. Between Tom Chapin and Barney, jeez--I pray for the future of the world. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:19:07 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness, and children's albums Message-ID: <19990323.171912.18166.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> maybe we can all just start throwing 100 grands at the johns in the middle of shows... eh? "oooh i hit him right between the eyes... 5 points!" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:02:52 -0500 Subject: NON-TMBG: Tom Green selling out? Message-ID: <19990323.210253.14814.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae I just saw Tom Green in a commercial for Pepsi One. We can all only hope the guy hasn't sold out to Corporate America... Oh well, he's still funny. ever-sincere, eriKa, who finds the image of the Johns swatting away M&Ms onstage very funny "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <93b740e.36f840e4@aol.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:33:24 EST Subject: TMBG: newtmbgshownewtmbgshownewtmbgshow ::stumbles over self attempting to make a post:: ladies and ge-- aw screw it. check this!! Fri, Apr 30 WBER Show with They Might Be Giants Water Street Music Hall @9:30pm woooooooooooooo!! oh yes, in my excitement, i forgot to mention this is in rochester NY (come visit us!). mmkay. thankgod that other show i wanted to go to in buffalo on that same day is 19+, or i'd have a serious dillema on my hands............ yeeeeeeeeeeeeee! ! ! ! ! ! so happy, so happy sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:36:51 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Confectionary madness, and children's albums >maybe we can all just start throwing 100 grands at the johns in the >middle of shows... eh? > >"oooh i hit him right between the eyes... 5 points!" > At some concerts of Nigerian music that I've been to, audience members go up on the stage and slap a dollar bill on the sweaty brow of the band leader. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990323224232.00a5ad70@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:42:32 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Lock Haven, WBER, and Pre-Show Party? Well, well, well, we meet again, tmbg-list. Ok, I never left, but the Mike Leffel post left me in shock. I sat around and thought about eating my two remaining Mars bars. Didn't happen. Anyway, recent events have caused me to request some info, and perhaps, shock, amaze, and disgust you. Ok, this Lock Haven date put me on Cloud 9. 26 miles from my house, Friday night, who could ask for more? Me me me. www.lhup.edu is totally lacks any information on the show. Ticket prices, times, open to the public, these are things I'd like to know. Sarah (Yay Sarah!) just posted about this WBER show with TMBG. A bit further from Williamsport, but not so bad. What's the ticket info on this, and where'd you find the information on the show? Finally, go to Ticketmaster. (Yah, yah, I have morals too, but sometimes tour dates show up there first.) www.ticketmaster.com, search for They Might Be Giants, get two results, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS (This has three dates that're on tmbg.com, I believe.) and THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS PRESHOW PARTY. This second one is of interest. Here's what you get- *CONCERT ADMISSION NOT INCLUDED*INCLUDES PREFERRED SEATING AND A HOTDOG & CHIPS CONCERT ADM NOT INCLUDED NEWPORT PRE-CONCERT PARTY * * * * * THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS NEWPORT MUSIC HALL THU APR 29 1999 6:30 DOOR Internet Onsale: Mar 19 1999 at 10:00AM Venue: NEWPORT MUSIC HALL Primary Act: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS PRESHOW PARTY Location: COLUMBUS, OH Date and Time: Apr 29 1999 6:30PM Charge-By-Phone #: 614/431-3600 Venue Information and Directions Ticket Center Information Event News Dylan "Hotdog and Chips" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dflipse@csrlink.net http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <76d17db.36f8603e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:47:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Lock Haven, WBER, and Pre-Show Party? In a message dated 3/23/99 10:43:03 PM, dflipse@csrlink.net writes: >Sarah (Yay Sarah!) just posted about this WBER show with TMBG. A bit >further from Williamsport, but not so bad. What's the ticket info on this, >and where'd you find the information on the show? http://wber.monroe.edu no ticket info as of yet.. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-24 ******************************