Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 26 Friday, 26 March 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: mp3 Re: NON-TMBG: confectionary madness Re: NON-TMBG: Tom Green selling out? TMBG: What Is Everyone Staring At? mp3 TMBG: dial-a-song Re: TMBG: newtmbgshownewtmbgshownewtmbgshow NON-TMBG: BFF - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner review Re: TMBG: TMBGcon TMBG: Re: dial-a-song Re: TMBG: TMBGcon Non-TMBG: Car Tape Suggestions Re: Non-TMBG: Car Tape Suggestions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <006101be76a5$3b434ba0$27a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: mp3 Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 01:52:43 -0800 does that new mp3 album come out next month? I thought I heard somthing like that. eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003b01be76c7$55296be0$b5b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: confectionary madness Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:56:41 -0000 >I don't think US Mars bars have almonds in them but I can't >totally recall as I haven't had one in ages. >I was watching a report on ITN News last night and they >said that Great Britain eats more chocolate than any other >country in the world! So leave it to the Brits to make >some of the best chocolate. Just 'cause we eat a lot of the stuff (I know that I do when I get the munchies) doesn't mean we make the best. In fact, the EU (bastards) want us Brits to renames our Choccy, "Vegolate" as there is more Vegetable extract than cocoa in our Choccy. Petty or what eh? But then again, they have regulations on the curve angle on Bananas. Let's bomb Brussels, the EU blows goats! -- Uncle Squid: aNOther DimenSioN, ANotHer DiMeNsIOn, AnoTHEr DImEnSion... Uncle Squid's new site: www.keme.net/~thelimes/uncle_squid/ Carter USM fan chat: http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/carter_usm/ ||| ICQ: 12605535 ||| Tel: (01206) 502043 ||| Fax: (01206) 514682 ||| ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990325090009.007c6100@smelly-tongues.com> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:00:09 -0500 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Tom Green selling out? >I just saw Tom Green in a commercial for Pepsi One. We can all only hope >the guy hasn't sold out to Corporate America... But he's on MTV; he sold out ages ago. Has anyone really paid close attention to the show, and noticed that the live segments are not as impromptu as they would hope to convey? ----- Okay, TMBG content, which should save us from certain doom. Since every now and then people like to point out TMBG "references" to The Residents, I thought I'd show a Residents "reference" to TMBG: Gravel crumbles off the backs of boulders and waits to become dust in the eyes of nonexistent giants Just like me -Chris "Wormwood Liver starts next week!" Combs ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <928fc924.36fa9f4f@aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:40:47 EST Subject: TMBG: What Is Everyone Staring At? mp3 To whoever it was that had the "What Is Everyone Staring At?" mp3 as a zip file (sorry, I lost the original e-mail), did you ever figure out why it said invalid file? Has this been fixed? LMK. Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:20:47 -0500 Subject: TMBG: dial-a-song Message-ID: <19990325.162426.19102.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. i just downloaded a bunch of songs off the dial-a-song sounds page, but the weren't in quicktime .mov format. it was a .qt file. is this just the new format or does my web browser need a spankin'? your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ "It's a strange world, my friend. We're bound to run to each other. Until then, keep your unit on ya." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:25:35 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: newtmbgshownewtmbgshownewtmbgshow Message-ID: <19990325.193022.3438.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein Oh goody! Finally a show that's within driving distance fom me! I'm gonna have to get some connections going, but I think I may be going to my first show since like last July! Oh bless you for this information, Sarah. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" >Fri, Apr 30 WBER Show with They Might Be Giants Water >Street Music Hall >@9:30pm > > >woooooooooooooo!! oh yes, in my excitement, i forgot to mention this is in >rochester NY (come visit us!). mmkay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:31:25 -0500 Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner review Message-ID: <19990325.194917.-225457.5.Cambot@juno.com> Well, I had the utmost fortune of having an advanced copy of the new Ben Folds Five album, "The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner" (out April 27th), fall into my preverbal lap today. After listening to it avidly 2 or 3 times through, I have come to a conclusion: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE BEN FOLDS FIVE FROM 1995?!?!?!?? Which is to say that if you compare Ben Folds Five's self-titled release in 1995 to their third album (fourth if you count Naked Baby Photos), you're gonna find a lot of differences. It is much more emotional & downbeat than both the self-titled & Whatever & Ever Amen, with "(I Thought About the) Army" seeming to be the only piano power pop tune on the album. Although it is not a complete promo (it is missing the song "Your Redneck Past"), it is pretty much the entire album more or less. Expect more instruments on tracks (strings, horns, keyboards, samples, etc.), less catchy & jumpy songs, & a more.... well..... sad feeling to it than other BFF albums. While I am disappointed on one side, I must say, I am impressed on the other. Mr. Folds has become quite the composer & has crafted some great songs as long as songs like "One Angry Dwarf", "Julianne", "Song for the Dumped", or "Uncle Walter" aren't the only reason you stick with the band. If you didn't like "Selfless, Cold, & Composed", "Mitchell Lane", or the Godzilla soundtrack's "Air", then chances are you won't dig this album as much as the others. I could be wrong. I heard it would be more like "Missing the War", "Boxing", & "Air", but it is much more different than that. SONGS: The album opens with "Narcolepsy", a rock opera-ish tune that actually sounds more like a demo song than something you'd hear on one of BFF's albums, but I really like it. Don't Change Your Plans is a good & catchy song & I believe you can find it in RealAudio format somewhere out there on the internet. Mess, if I remember, is a solemn tune that didn't really jump out at me, thought it is very beautiful. Same with the fourth track, Magic, which was originally written by Darren for a benefit compilation CD. Hospital Song is short, sad, & like the 2 songs before it. With (I Thought About the) Army, the album picks up & becomes lighthearted & fun, but just for that track. Next up, Your Most Valuable Possession, which sounds more like a Fear of Pop song than a BFF tune. Not really a big highlight. Kinda like "Fitter Happier" on Radiohead's OKComputer. "Regrets" is the 8th song on the promo (ninth on the real album).... it stinks, in my opinion. I really thought I would never say that about a BFF song (except for some of their unreleased material), but it just sounds like Ben & the boys were rushed to make more songs to fill the album & decided to use the last 3 chords from "Army" (the lyrics being "I thought about / the army.) & make up a TECHNO / ROCK song with them, which ALSO has similar lyrics to the last 2 phrases of Army("I thought about...." starts nearly every verse). This really upset the album, IMHO. Jane is a song about a girl who should act like herself instead of trying to be what she isn't. More keyboard, less piano. It's okay, but sounds more like another demo. Finally, Lullaby ends the album on a more upbeat note than they usually end them on(Boxing on the s/t & Evaporated on WAEA). The album really sputters out around Regrets, unfortunately. The rest is nearly all beautiful & I will most likely have the tape in my player for quite a while. Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner RATING (OUT OF 5): * * * 1/2 cheers Steve! BTW, I had the opportunity to go to a Jimmy Eat World concert on Monday night & I got their new album, "Clarity". I really enjoy it & I suggest that you go & get it if you like Ben Folds Five, emo, or some damn good music. Jimmy Eat World - Clarity. RATING (OUT OF 5): * * * * 1/2 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990326022246.84612.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Alex Pedraza" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGcon Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:22:45 PST >From: Lawrence P Solomon >Reply-To: Lawrence P Solomon >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGcon >Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:19:19 -0500 (EST) > >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-Mar-99 Re: TMBG: TMBGcon by >LimeZinger@aol.com >> to be completely honest, i think any sort of tmbg-con would have to be >> completely unrelated to the band.. i mean, they don't seem like the type of >> band (ie. fruvous) that would want to have anything to do with it (ie. >> fruvous) .. i could be totally wrong, but ... eh, you know. > >and even if they did show up, they'd probably not be the type of band >(i.e. fruvous) who would play a specific set for their die-hard fans, >and they probably wouldn't be the type of band to want to interact with >their fans on a personal level (i.e. fruvous), so if they did bother to >show up, they'd probably play the same old boring set they always do... >pet name in the dark, exquisite dead guy heads, etc. for all us die >hard fans looking for something special. just to spite us. > >Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu >"Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently > you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. > what about l.a., ca??? -me Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:50:15 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7des4u$e0f$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: dial-a-song Adam Schaaf wrote in message <19990325.162426.19102.0.Superman75@juno.com>... >hi. > >i just downloaded a bunch of songs off the >dial-a-song sounds page, but the weren't >in quicktime .mov format. it was a .qt file. >is this just the new format or does my web >browser need a spankin'? .qt is another extention for a quicktime file. If you open the file w/ quicktime, or simply rename it to a .mov, they should play fine. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990325231650.00932430@mail.clemson.edu> Message-Id: <4.1.19990325231650.00932430@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:17:07 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGcon At 06:22 PM 3/25/99, Alex Pedraza wrote: > >what about l.a., ca??? i.e. fruvous? Sorry, couldn't help myself. :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: Non-TMBG: Car Tape Suggestions Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:27:43 -0800 Message-ID: <000001be7740$fe95e040$fbc66ac6@tooms> hey, i know you're all real music buffs (obviously) so i thought i'd ask you what i should put on my Car Tape for my brand new-used volkswagen quantum. oooh. i just got my license today and went driving for about a billion years, so... :) and it's way too hard to keep fast forwarding and stuff whilst driving just to get through a crappy song. so! Suggestions! i've already got it stuffed with devo and tmbg and my sharona, so. :) *celestia* http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ icq # 2814304 "giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." -pj o'rourke open the window to lift into your dreams lately, baby, you can barely breathe... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990326002028.007c6210@goshen.edu> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 00:20:28 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Car Tape Suggestions At 08:27 PM 3/25/99 -0800, you wrote: >hey, i know you're all real music buffs (obviously) so i thought i'd ask you >what i should put on my Car Tape for my brand new-used volkswagen quantum. >oooh. i just got my license today and went driving for about a billion >years, so... :) and it's way too hard to keep fast forwarding and stuff >whilst driving just to get through a crappy song. so! Suggestions! i've >already got it stuffed with devo and tmbg and my sharona, so. :) > >*celestia* You just got you liscense today and you already have a car? I hope you paid for it yourself! Sorry (that would be the Canadian sOrry), no preaching from me (though I am an ordained minister through the Universal Life church. I have a certificate to prove it. Sure, I had to fill it out myself, but it's legal! I also have a pin that says 'Clergy', now that's official, eh?) Anyways, I'd suggest the first two songs off of G. Love & Special Sauce's 'Yeah, it's that easy'. Mmmm, boy. ~Amanda >http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ >icq # 2814304 >"giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys >to teenage boys." -pj o'rourke >open the window to lift into your dreams >lately, baby, you can barely breathe... > > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-26 ******************************