Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 3 Wednesday, 3 March 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: B-movies TMBG: Listees in CA TMBG: Free demo still available Re: TMBG: Filmic Reference TMBG: Free demo still available -Reply Re: TMBG: Listees in CA Re: TMBG: Free demo still available Re: TMBG: Listees in CA half n half TMBG: fav john, b-movies, etc non-TMBG: movies non-TMBG: movies TMBG: Re: List survey Re: SEMI-TMBG: lots of things. TMBG: Extra Krispy TMBG: meat puppets Re: TMBG: Extra Krispy Re: TMBG: Extra Krispy TMBG: My new E-mail Adress. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah Re: TMBG: My new E-mail Adress. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Re: non-TMBG: movies Re: NON-TMBG: The Ugly (B-Movies) TMBG: Re: My new E-mail Adress. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ahhhhhhh Re: TMBG: Extra Krispy Re: non-TMBG: movies Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <000701be647f$b4fc2440$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Re: TMBG: B-movies Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 00:38:46 -0700 There are different classes of movies. A-Movies are those which are released by a major producing company, put into the theaters, or released on video. B-Movies are those shitty ones they play on MST3K. They have horrid acting, bad cinematography, and even worse writing/directing. C-Movies, as they've been explained to me, are the epitome of crap. There. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico. ----- Original Message ----- From: Alex Pedraza To: Sent: Monday, March 01, 1999 9:35 PM Subject: TMBG: B-movies >What the hell is a b-movie? > > > > >-me! > > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36DBB732.6A5A2D13@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:02:29 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Listees in CA From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) wrote: > 5. A lot of TMBG fans live in California. I wasn't aware of this. I > always thought that I was one of the EXTREMELY few that lived in CA. > Nobody seems to know of Them out here. How come I never run into you > Cali TMBG fans? > I too thought us Californians were rare here. I always figured the most of fans were in the East because that's where they do most of their shows. I've always suspected John and John have some kind of New Yorker hatred of the West Coast but we dig that intellectual head-bobbing music too! So I hope they come visit their Cali fans again soon! -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: GlamMonst@aol.com Message-ID: <5c78bfc5.36dbc847@aol.com> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 06:15:19 EST Subject: TMBG: Free demo still available For anyone who didn't get the post a few weeks ago...there is a free demo CD available of a project out of Boston called "Shecky".....their upcoming album "Yummy" will be released in a few weeks and the influences are TMBG, Jellyfish, Beatles, XTC, Robyn Hitchcock...etc.....So if your interested in a free demo CD, just email Glammonst@aol.com.....Peace, Tiny. ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199903021132.GAA17271@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 06:26:57 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Filmic Reference > Perhaps already mentioned: > In Rushmore Bill Murray and Max are in the factory and they do this walk > that seems quite similar to something I've seen in a TMBG video -- was it > Don't Let's Start or Ana Ng? An exaggerated, leaping march while carrying > long pole-things. ooo ooo that was ana ng! my sister and i had many a-fun times imitating that walk... heheh. people sure do look at you strange when you're leaping down the street like that... jen Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man." ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:40:12 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Free demo still available -Reply This is worth investigating. My CD arrived in the UK yesterday. Had a quick listen last night - it won't set the world on fire but 10 tracks for nothing can't be bad. Richard >>> "GlamMonst@aol.com" 2/March/1999 11:07am >>> For anyone who didn't get the post a few weeks ago...there is a free demo CD available of a project out of Boston called "Shecky".....their upcoming album "Yummy" will be released in a few weeks and the influences are TMBG, Jellyfish, Beatles, XTC, Robyn Hitchcock...etc.....So if your interested in a free demo CD, just email Glammonst@aol.com.....Peace, Tiny. ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:31:02 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Listees in CA In a message dated 99-03-02 05:48:28 EST, you write: << I too thought us Californians were rare here. >> Where'd you think we were abundant? Minnesota? ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 06:42:43 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Free demo still available Message-ID: <18931-36DBF8E3-476@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> And I must say, I'm one of those who got one of the free demos, and it's very good! I highly reccomend it. Dexburger ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 06:46:28 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Listees in CA Message-ID: <18932-36DBF9C4-333@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Bongo wrote: So I hope they come visit their Cali fans again soon! Ya, and let's hope it's at an all age group place, so that I can attend my first ever TMBG live experience. Last time They played House of Blues, so I couldn't go, which really sucked! me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990302163049.5043.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mad Midget" Subject: half n half TMBG: fav john, b-movies, etc Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:30:48 EST >>What the hell is a b-movie? Well, an A movie is one that gets tons of money, all the actors, and (rarely nowadays) a decent plot. These are movies that go to the theaters and win oscars and stuff. A B movie is totally broke, has terrible actors, and probably makes up the script on the spot. You don't hear much about B movies lately, because they get no publicity. And now with the death of MST3K :*( you probably won't either. Since I've never seen Them live I really don't know which one would be my fav John. If Linnell is as shy as they say he is, that's probably the reason he stays away from fans. I'd freak out too if a bunch of people I've never met ran after me looking for an autograph. But out of the 2 I guess I'll pick Linnell, because his songs are much cooler to me. Ooo, fav fingertip. I didn't know until I bought the Apollo 18 cd that it was created to be put on shuffle, let alone they counted each fingertip as a seperate song. I guess it would be either "I'm having a heart attack" or "I have a new friend underneath my pillow". >As he looks out the window he sees some graffiti on a wall that says >"I don't want the world, I just want your half" Obviously somebody Thanks, I had no idea what that chick on the phone said until you mentioned this. I always thought she said "I just want your house". That's about it for me. I was surprised there was more than just me from Georgia on the mailing list. And pleased that somebody else digs Harlan Ellison. Ciao all, Mike the Mad No, I thought, the geek in Colorado had it all wrong. The real problem is how to wallow with the eagles at night and soar with the pigs in the morning. -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003701be64cb$e9f5eea0$b2b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: non-TMBG: movies Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:44:08 -0000 >>>What the hell is a b-movie? > >Well, an A movie is one that gets tons of money, all the actors, and >(rarely nowadays) a decent plot. These are movies that go to the >theaters and win oscars and stuff. A B movie is totally broke, has >terrible actors, and probably makes up the script on the spot. You >don't hear much about B movies lately, because they get no publicity. >And now with the death of MST3K :*( you probably won't either. Now, please don't flame me for this one peoples, but it does seem to be Hollywood that is causing all the recent cinema to be dry, plotless and just there to make a huge wad of cash. True, yes that some really good films have come out of the US, but they all seem to be from the early 80's. For instance, Ferris Beuller's day off, The Blues Brothers, Beetlejuice, Howard the duck etc etc. The most recent US movie that has had any effect on my is Grosse Point Blank which made both myself and my girlfriend wet ourselves with laughter. Even as we speak (type), Polygram, the UK's leading distributor of independent movies is being gobbled up by Hollywood. Polygram were responsible for taking risks on Trainspotting, The Usual Suspects and Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels to name but a few. Hollywood sucks. *Sticks his tongue out at Hollywood film peoples*. Sorry, it had to be said. -- Uncle Squid: A someday man or a maybe child "The private parts of the Gods are we, they play with us for their sport" Carter USM fan chat: http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/carter_usm/ ICQ: 12605535 ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903021706.MAA08679@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: non-TMBG: movies Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:06:35 -0500 (EST) > there to make a huge wad of cash. True, yes that some really good films have > come out of the US, but they all seem to be from the early 80's. For > instance, Ferris Beuller's day off, The Blues Brothers, Beetlejuice, Howard > the duck etc etc. The most recent US movie that has had any effect on my is You won't find many who say Howard the Duck was one of the best movies of the 80s! In fact, you won't find many who would say Howard the Duck was a very good movie at all! > were responsible for taking risks on Trainspotting, The Usual Suspects and > Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels to name but a few. Hollywood sucks. > *Sticks his tongue out at Hollywood film peoples*. Sorry, it had to be said. I just saw a commercial that Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels is coming out in the US next month. I think I might try to see it. -Sir John Johns ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:43:48 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DC2354.6FE0D630@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: List survey Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > 2. We have a marine biologist on the list? Who is it? I knew that TMBG's > music was intelligent...but wow! I really have to question that... When I saw it on the survey, I took it as a reference to a certain episode of a certain program on a certain network that the people at the Simpsons really love, and it isn't Fox, though it did make for a quick and clean ending to the Canyonero episode... For those of you who haven't figured it out, I'm speaking of the Marine Biologist episode of Seinfeld. Just because Seinfeld wasn't anywhere in the survey doesn't mean that Seinfeld wasn't anywhere in the survey. Unless someone here is a marine biologist, in which case, step forward and let yourself be known so that we can finally gaze upon the soul of the one who would be Aquaman... I'll just stop typing now... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Back after a massive backup/retrieval, and with Mono Puff's It's Fun to Steal... Does life get any better?" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:55:32 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DC2614.8200ED49@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: lots of things. Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Renquist L Hedgeloff wrote: > >Sir Jay, JHC, the list's resident Christ figure, has returned! > > Christ figure? I thought that was Leffel's job. Incidentally, what > happened to him? His Second Coming (or Third Coming, or whatever) > consisted entirely of one post. What a rip-off! I want my money back! > -- Have you tried to tame the mighty Leffel to post more than once? I have, but instead he keeps going to UnitedMedia and various comic sites as opposed to reading the list... I'm sure he'll post again someday. And there was that whole drawing especially for the list that I mentioned. Mike will post again, be it this week, next week, next month, it shall happen! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Actually, it might not, but I'm not talking..." Scott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:00:14 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DC272E.3C226B0B@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Extra Krispy Back after a short hiatus caused by a trip, during which I got Mono Puff's 'It's Fun To Steal", and also caused by a lack of Netscape... But that's another story. On to the question: What exactly is being said in French in this song? I ran the lyrics from monopuff.org through AltaVista and came up with a garbled mess (as always with AV). Any help would be appreciated, and I'm sorry if this has been brought up and answered several times before, but I just gotta know! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Sleeping in the 'Poison Flowers'? That just sounds dangerous..." Scott ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:31:29 -0700 Subject: TMBG: meat puppets Message-ID: <19990302.153136.14918.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> so uhm, i know this is only partially tmbg-related (if ya don't know how they relate to tmbg you're not cool). anyways, i just got a handy-dandy meat puppets post card today that's announcing the re-release of 8 of their cd's on, yep, you guessed it rykodisc :) just thot that some of you kids would be interested... yeahyeah. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::upcoming (march): assorted jellybeans, tin star, lit, 2 skinnee j's, everlast, sugar ray, hed pe, fear factory, second coming, vast, diesel boy, lo fidelity allstars, the hippos, buck o nine, homegrown, river fenix, limp, frenzal rhomb, all and less than jake::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:29:46 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Extra Krispy Message-ID: <4245-36DC746A-259@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I to have a question concerning Extra Krispy. In hte liner notes for IFTS, it says on the credits for Extra Krispy that there was a rap done by Plen-t-Pak. Wel, that's just fine, except for the fact that when I listen to the song, there's no rapping! Someone please inform both me and AKA Bob, cause I'd also like to know the french. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:56:19 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Extra Krispy Message-ID: <19990302.185646.16166.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. >I to have a question concerning Extra Krispy. In hte liner notes for >IFTS, it says on the credits for Extra Krispy that there was a rap done >by Plen-t-Pak. Wel, that's just fine, except for the fact that when I >listen to the song, there's no rapping! i believe Mr. Pak is the man who is talking in the background. just because he is not rapping in the conventional sense does not mean he's not rapping. take for instance the michael jackson song "thriller." fright master vincent prince performs the rap about the dead rising from the grave. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ "It's a strange world, my friend. We're bound to run to each other. Until then, keep your unit on ya." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Docta_Mack@webtv.net (Dude Menes) Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:57:52 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: My new E-mail Adress. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah Message-ID: <4237-36DC7B00-680@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I've got a brand-new adress, It is so lovely, lovely, And Now you kow it, know it, You all are fat and ugly, P.S I know Dexter Flansberg's real name, it is Alex Edward Britten. Now, If you want to know any butty elses name e-mail. And one thing youl never find my real name. Ha ha ha ha... ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:04:30 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: My new E-mail Adress. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Message-ID: <26422-36DC7C8E-609@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Dammit Dude! You're a queer! Please, everybod continue to refer to me as Dexter Flansburgh. I unforunately know Dude Menes, he's a friend of mine in fact. His real name is Josh Albright. And HE'S A B*TCH!!! I'll try to keep him from posting anymore. I'm going to personally apologize for his actions though. He's not even subscribed to the list, but he got the address through me. The Dude destroyer, Dexburger ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:36:49 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: non-TMBG: movies Message-ID: On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Uncle Squid wrote: > Now, please don't flame me for this one peoples, but it does seem to be > Hollywood that is causing all the recent cinema to be dry, plotless and just > there to make a huge wad of cash. no flaming necessary, man... you speak nothing but the truth. fortunately, there are still good movies being made here in the States, but usually the big studios have nothing to do with them. have faith, though; i'm sure that if polygram stops distributing the indies, somebody else will step in and fill the gap. --jim kuemmerle, who's perhaps a wee bit too optimistic... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ upcoming Glade shows: 3/16 -- A Cup of Joe; 3/19 -- The Holy Cow*, w/ Matt Matteus; 3/25 -- Ichabob's*, w/ Matt Matteus; 3/29 -- The Zephyr*, w/ Melissa Warner; 4/17 -- Burt's Tiki Lounge* upcoming Zivio shows: 3/6 -- International Folkdance Party, 1st Unitarian Church * a private club for members; you must be 21 or older to attend ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990303041529.4316.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: The Ugly (B-Movies) Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:15:27 PST >---Josh Buckland wrote: >> >> > (I assume you're taking >> >about the movie with the green blood, right?). >> >> Funny, it looked black to me... And what was with that room that was >> silver and red, I didn't get it. And since when do security gaurds >> dress up like Hell's Angels, and since when does a high-tech >microwave >> oven apear in the 60s? >> > Hmm, I don't remember that room. It was 3am when I saw it. It took >place in the 60s??? I dind't catch that. While we're talking about it, >what do you think; did the therapist die in the end or was it just her >dream? 1) I was refering to the scene where Simon (at his youngest age) is speaking with his mother in the kitchen. Behind his mother, there is a white microwave with a digital clock on it. Simon was about 30-something, so at the time when he was 7, it would have been in the sixties. 2) The first time I saw "the room", I thought it was a butcher's shop. Either it had been red and the paint was chipping or it had been silver and the paint was chipping. But, if I remember my psychology well enough, the last thing you would want to do is paint an insane asylum interrogation room red. 3) If you weren't sleeping, you should remember that Simon said to Dr. Shumaker "I'm healed, 'the ugly' is gone, I'm doing this myself" and then cut her throat. You should also remember that for the first time in the entire movie, the blood was red. I think Simon was finally healed and was able to see blood as we do. So, yes, I think Simon broke into her house and killed her. You DO remember the part where he killed the heavy metal security gaurds and escaped the nut-house, don't you? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "I'd give my life to be dead." -Francesco Dellamorte, "Cemetery Man" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:16:03 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DCB783.EF1768F9@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: My new E-mail Adress. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ahhhhhhhha Dude Menes wrote: > I've got a brand-new adress, Don't you just love Web TV? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:15:27 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DCB75F.5683F4@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Extra Krispy Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > I to have a question concerning Extra Krispy. In hte liner notes for > IFTS, it says on the credits for Extra Krispy that there was a rap done > by Plen-t-Pak. Wel, that's just fine, except for the fact that when I > listen to the song, there's no rapping! Someone please inform both me > and AKA Bob, cause I'd also like to know the french. > me, > Dexburger Since Double Dong was providing the growling/blithering/pistachio sound in the background, I suppose that does leave Plen-T-Pak to be the one doing the voiceover. But what about Ghost Krabb? bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Perpetual Thread" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:20:59 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG: movies Message-ID: On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, somebody (I forget who) wrote: >> were responsible for taking risks on Trainspotting, The Usual Suspects >> and Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels to name but a few. Hollywood >> sucks. *Sticks his tongue out at Hollywood film peoples*. Sorry, it >> had to be said. Yeah....it's a huge risk to distribute a movie that bears a slight resemblence to Trainspotting at times, and a movie that made more money in England than Armageddon did last year. Whew...that's a huge risk there. C'mon...rarely is a risk officially taken, except at the behest of a big star (Clint Eastwood's insistence on making Bird, even though it's a really slow movie, and wouldn't appeal to a huge audience like, say, anything involving Dirty Harry). Even the big companies don't want anything even remotely risky under their main company's name....Sony Pictures Classics, for instance, one of the finest movie "companies", puts out stuff that a lot of risky (monetarily) stuff that many companies wouldn't touch....documentaries like Crumb and Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control and stuff like that. It really gets my goat when folks talk about how few good movies are put out...it's just that we never get to SEE most of the good ones, because they don't have widespread distribution, because companies don't want to take risks. Yes, some fault lies in the companies' insistence on the bottom line, but some fault also lies in the viewer, for not seeking out those movies, insisting on those movies, seeing the "risky" movies to show the distribution folks that people will see those movies. Same deal applies to music...people talk about the death of rock music each and every year, but that's just because the majors have found that other things (boy groups like the Backstreet Boys, pop-hop like Puffy, et al) are more commercially viable. If they see that rock music or whatever is just as viable, it will be available on a widespread basis. And Jim wrote this, getting back to movies: > fortunately, there are still good movies being made here in the States, > but usually the big studios have nothing to do with them. have faith, > though; i'm sure that if polygram stops distributing the indies, > somebody else will step in and fill the gap. Again, that's all open to interpretation. If, by "big studios" you refer merely to the majors...the Warner Bros.'s, Universals, and Columbias of the world, sure, that's true. But those same companies (and others, obviously) also distribute companies like the aforementioned Sony Pictures Classics, and a little company...maybe you've heard of it. The "indie" (despite its ownership) that became a "major" (ditto), Miramax. Polygram ain't the only company distributing the indie movies...you just have to look a little more. I'm wondering if any of this made sense to anyone other than myself. I suppose I'll find out soon. The Rev, occasionally slipping into lurkdom np: Silver Scooter--Orleans Parish (and all I can say is wow...) |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990303044705.4812.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:47:03 PST The incredible Melting Man Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Not a B-Movie but had to be listed) ALL Monty Python titles The Midnight Hour Braindead (Dead Alive, call it what you will...) The Ugly Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (It's on video now, so it's a B-Movie) Almost everything shown on Comedy Central The Reckoning (This was the B-Movie prequel to Sling Blade) Sling Blade (It was a B-Movie in it's own little way) Halloween I (Admit it!) Cemetery Man ALL Faces of Death films Milo The Mangler (I'm not sure, is this a B-Movie? Evil Dead Evil Dead II Hardware Wars (Incredibly stupid yet funny Star Wars parody) Butcher Boy (the book was better) Pumpkin Head And the list goes on, anyone else care to contribute? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990302235805.0093b7a0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 00:00:20 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes Return of the Killer Tomatoes Killer Tomatoes Strike Back Killer Tomatoes Eat France Anything released by Troma, ever (especially Bloodsucking Freaks, Toxic Avengers I-III, Surf Nazis Must Die, Tromeo And Juliet, Class Of Nuke 'Em High, and many, many more) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:56:10 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. you know, I think somewhere, the idea of what a b-movie was got totally corrupted and assumed to be a bad movie or a low budget one... kind of like the assumption that b-sides (another term that has lost its original meaning, since no one listens to records anymore) are awful... correct me if I'm totally off base here, but weren't b-movies originally just the second movie of a double feature? granted, in order to gain this place, they were often not by well known directors or made with huge amounts of money, and as a result are often bad, but I'm sure there are some b-movies out there that are quite good, but never got the placement necessary to receive recognition for it. of course, there are three main categories of movies anyway: movies that are good because they are intended to be good, and turn out well movies that are good because they are bad, often unintentionally, but the bad aspects of them are laughable - or they are good because they don't take themselves seriously movies that are just plain bad. not many movies fall into this third category - to be here it must be completely unentertaining. bad and you can't even make fun of it. I'm not sure what falls into this category... maybe Fail Safe, which was *not* a b-movie... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-3 *****************************