Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-33 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 33 Friday, 9 April 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? TMBG: Matt Groening--ask him yourself! Re: TMBG: is it a TMBG reference or is it memorex? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: nonTMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Matt Groening--ask him yourself! TMBG: they might be in denver TMBG: referential apology in order. TMBG: I found the Futurama reference! Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? TMBG: anyone in chicago? TMBG: video comp/ tour dates! Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be Friends? TMBG: Re: Vote on TRL TMBG: me no get no mailing list Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: me no get no mailing list Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Send it back to hell!(the subject, at least) (Was:Re: TMBG: Maybe NON-TMBG:The Perfect Message - A sonnet Re: TMBG: is it a TMBG reference or is it memorex? TMBG: That's not right! TMBG: Battle of Truth, Justice & Mere Opinion... TMBG: non-tmbg: the reference dispute TMBG: Lock Haven PA show Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: the reference dispute TMBG: non-tmbg: godwin's law Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be Friends? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 16:12:55 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Message-ID: <19990506.161300.2686.0.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: i think my name is jay or not Remember, because you can't see it means it doesn't exist! On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:42:26 -0400 (EDT) Lawrence P Solomon writes: >no, I simply made a statement that not everything is necessarily a >TMBG reference. and you all went off. No, actually--I didn't go all off. You did more than "simply state" that not everything is a TMBG referene, and, aside from that, if you'll check you'll see that I didn't enter the fray until you'd become very noticably angry with those disagreeing with you. Sure, I disagreed, but I wasn't the one being insulting--at least until you started being insulting to others. >if I didn't want to be called by my first name, you wouldn't know what >it was. and in an argument, especially given some of the phrasing >you've used, the "sirs" and "Mr. Solomons" have come across as very >condescending. It doesn't matter what you think, then: my words are not meant that way, nor do they show any spite-filled psyche on my part. It is the way I express myself. Does the fact that we're in an argument make it necessary for us to be on more amicable terms? Rest assured, even if I liked you, you would still be Mr. Solomon. We're not friends. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <370A5598.D1FEE36B@osu.edu> Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 18:42:34 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: TMBG: Matt Groening--ask him yourself! Maybe we could settle this once and for all. Be here Tuesday April 6, 1999 at 9pm PST for a exclusive one-hour online chat with Matt Groening, creator of FUTURAMA and THE SIMPSONS. http://www.foxworld.com/futurama/chat.htm I have never ever done any chat thing with a famous person, so I don't know how easy it would be to actually talk to Mr. Groening himself or to even get in. But, if somebody wants to try it, be there at 9 PM (Pacific time). I don't exactly want to wait till midnight (my time) to do this myself. good luck, Diana ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <58d210ef.243be504@aol.com> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:30:28 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: is it a TMBG reference or is it memorex? In a message dated 4/6/99 3:16:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: << 1 -- given the fact that there have been numerous difficult-to-dispute tmbg references, such as the "memo to myself", the whale vs. squid t-shirt, etc., etc., on the simpsons, i submit the argument that we can safely consider matt groenig (sp?) to be aware of and conversant in tmbg's repertoire. >> WOH WOH WOH....NO NO NO... Hold on there! Jesus... Homer picks up a notepad that says "Dumb things I gotta do today".(not exactly "memo to myself, do the dumb things I gotta do...") It is making fun of stupid notepad messages like that, and the joke is that he is writing a suicide letter on a cutesy dumb memo pad. There WAS NO Squid/whale shirt...there is only a squid on the shirt, and it doesnt even LOOK like the one on Apollo 18. Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 16:27:23 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Message-ID: <19990506.164447.2686.3.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: i think my name is jay or not Remember, because you can't see it means it doesn't exist! On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:45:23 -0400 (EDT) Lawrence P Solomon writes: >self-righteous? I never said I've never done that. I never said that >I >am always right. I said I have a problem with something. You have the attitude of one who believes himself always right. >I'm not saying I'm better. But most people would agree that it's a >bad >idea to spout of opinions as facts. THAT IS ALL I'M SAYING. But no >one >is getting it. I was only angry because you seemed so angry about it. And you did, sir. You did. Before I said anything. > >To you, maybe. But you appear to view everyone as an ass, so what's >the >big deal? All I did was point out that not everything is a TMBG >reference, and YOU started on this whole rant... I view everyone as an ass? No .. just you. And I didn't start on a rant--I'm not the one arguing with what seems to be the whole list, am I? I'm not the one shouting things in capital letters, proclaiming others to be dense not to see things my way. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:42:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? In a message dated 4/6/99 2:29:42 PM, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: >> Okay, TMBG might have used the word 'the' a few times, but I'd hardly > >> consider someone else saying 'the' to be a TMBG reference. of course, because as we all know, tmbg stole it from the simpsons. :p sarah *joke * joke* joke * it'llneverhappenagainipromise... er...maybenot ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <62b2f315.243be6b1@aol.com> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:37:37 EDT Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? In a message dated 4/6/99 12:21:04 PM, morning_pilaf@hotmail.com writes: >I think we should set up an official vagueness judge on the list, cool, and it coincides with the apollo 18 bonus track title! sarah np. tmbg - "spitting contest" ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <6d08ee55.243bebff@aol.com> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 19:00:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Matt Groening--ask him yourself! In a message dated 4/6/99 5:44:40 PM, kocar.1@osu.edu writes: >I have never ever done any chat thing with a famous person, so I don't >know how easy it would be to actually talk to Mr. Groening himself or to >even get in. But, if somebody wants to try it, be there at 9 PM >(Pacific time). I don't exactly want to wait till midnight (my time) to >do this myself. i've been to numerous chats set up to question celebrities (including john and john - their archives are over on spin online @ aol, by the way, keyword spin) ... my favourite by far was the last john henson one on e online.. it had aside from the chat - a real audio feed (hear john!) and a webcam (he picked his nose! )... ahh... HOWEVER, i've never gotten a question answered. friends of mine have, but i haven't. but if a bunch of people went and asked the same question, it'd stand out. but apparently we know he's already a tmbg fan, so 1) the question would... probably yes, stand out and 2) don't waste time asking if he's a fan, rather ask him if he purposely puts tmbg references in his shows all the time.. etc. to make it tmbg related and all.. here's some excerpts from the linnell chat. john is TMBGlive. >> Question: linell - ive seen you guys 22 times this year. how come you neverhang out after the shows? how many brian doherty signed tix stubs can one own? TMBGlive: I'm usually exhausted after shows, which is why I'm not too good at shmoozing after a gigI'd like to make a permanent apology to fans who might have been burned...by my anti-social behaviour ... Question: My friends and I have a theory that Spider represents music, is this correct? TMBGlive: Um...I dont understand the question, but it's a fascinating one ... Question: hey john... ive been watching two very disturbido about the Ebola Virus...and um, the "Single Guy"? Between the two of them... I feel the apocolapse coming... TMBGlive: I dont know ... Question: what do you do in your spare time? TMBGlive: As rare as it is...My spare time is reserved for 1) staring out the window... 2) hanging out with people and staring out the window 3) riding my bicycle 'round Brooklyn 4)playing cards 5) reading the newspaper TMBGlive: I wish I liked Slurpees << sarah ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:22:20 -0600 Subject: TMBG: they might be in denver Message-ID: <19990406.173619.21470.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> ok kiddies... more info bouts the show in denver... LoDo music fest is typically 3 days, in Lower Downtown Denver (hello). Starting on July 16th ending on the 18th. You can buy tickets each day or as a package for the entire festival (typically about $10 a day and like $25 for all three days). It's held in a big parking lot across the street from Coors Field (yeah... the rockies fairly new stadium). In the past there have been two stages... popular artists and local artists. There's always street performers that prove to be entertaining even when the music sucks. And if you're lucky, you know someone that owns one of the lofts in the hood cuz then you don't have to buy a ticket you just go chill at their house and stare out the window. So far, the bands announced include: ---They Might Be Giants ---Bodeans ---Iguanas ---Cowboy Mouth ---Cubanismo ---Tiny Town ---Beau Jocque & The Zydeco Hi-Rollers ---Big Sandy & His Fly Rite Boys i'll pass along more info as i get it... or when it gets closer to the show :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Countdown to They: 101 days! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 17:45:26 -0400 Subject: TMBG: referential apology in order. Message-ID: <19990506.174534.2686.5.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: i think my name is jay or not Remember, because you can't see it means it doesn't exist! On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:14:36 -0600 (MDT) Jim Kuemmerle writes: >5 -- i think that's it, except for one final request. lawrence, jay, > could you please either (a) change the subject line on your argument > (since it is no longer about futurama, and i for one have no > interest in your argument and would like to delete those posts > without deleting posts about the futurama reference itself (in which > i am very much interested)) or (b) take your argument off-list? *blush* I apologize to you, Jim, and to the list--I should've been more thoughtful than to flood the lists with posts I'm sure no one wishes to read. In the future I shall most definitely try to be wiser in both choosing my battles and displaying them to the public. Again, I'm sorry; I shall try to keep any desire I have to bicker off the list. hoping indeed that he's scared no one away, peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006c01be8092$1f413420$ba330904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: I found the Futurama reference! Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:00:36 -0400 At the very end of tonight's Futurama, Bender says "There's a WINDOW in the closet"! That's it! I found the TMBG reference! Oh, and they said "the" lot, for all you Frufans ;) Amy :) P. S. I would like to make it perfectly clear that I was joking in this short, meaningless post. Please do not misconstrue my humor for ignorance, for I would not wish to offend any of you. ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 19:38:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? In a message dated 99-04-06 14:23:20 EDT, you write: << Some of them may be TMBG references. >>But unless it's really obvious, like if they said "Make a little >>birdhouse in your soul," you can't say that it is (or isn't) a >>reference. >> Of course, this could also be a reference to "Hope is the Thing With Feathers" by Emily Dickinson. ~Batbrain, whose got an empty birdhouse in his soul ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199904062100.RAA06198@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:04:33 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? > are you not reading my post? are you just assuming I'm attacking you? > apparently. There is nothing wrong with being uncertain, as long as one > makes the admission to being so. Let me state it clearly and maybe, > just maybe, you all will pick up on it... well, i think that it's safe to assume that i have to read your post to reply to it... and i don't feel personally attacked, considering the fact that i've never posted about a tmbg reference before, so no, i'm not assuming anything of the sort. i'm adding to conversation. that's the way it works. two people have to talk for it to be an interactive conversation. although i know you didn't mean to say it was wrong to be ignorant, you made it seem like a major crime. i'm not all-knowing... perhaps your intentions weren't stated clearly enough. or perhaps i just don't match your apparently superior intelligence. either way, i can deal with it. now, i also don't remember anyone ever denying the fact that they don't know something about a tmbg reference. and it's insane to expect everyone to admit their ignorance at the beginning of every post. i can see it now... "ahem. attention. before i write anything else, i think that i would like to state the fact that i, like many others, do not know everything. i'm in many ways ignorant and inferior. i will not deny this. thank you." and just because you think i didn't understand the content of your e- mail doesn't mean i'm an idiot. perhaps you're at fault for not stating what you meant clearly enough. all i have to go by are the words typed and sent to me in this little box on my screen. > **************************************************************************** > It's bad when you are not certain about something AND state it as if you > are certain about it. It's ignorant, hypocritical, and shows that you > probably don't even care if you're wrong. THAT is what I have a problem > with. > **************************************************************************** i can almost agree with you if it wasn't such a trivial, stupid little thing. you can't take everything everyone says so seriously. who ever the poor soul was who mentioned the possibly tmbg reference that started all this didn't try to sound like they knew it all. they didn't claim to have this superior knowledge. they saw something that they though was interesting and decided to share it with the rest of the list. people should be thanking this person for trying to share something that they thought was interesting instead of jumping all over them because they weren't aware of something. it's like someone looks up at the sky on some distant planet that they have never been to before and says, "wow. the sky here is a pretty shade of red." next thing you know, a resident of this planet with 562 eyes covering it's body cops and attitude and yells at the person, informing them that if they weren't so ignorant, they'd know that the sky is actually a shade of pink, very close to magenta. all because the person was a little off, but with GOOD INTENTIONS. it's just unnecessarily nit-picky. it wouldn't have been so bad for the poor little human if someone had just nicely informed them that although the sky may look red, it's actually closer to magenta. no harm done. i just think that people are being unnecessarily difficult. kind of like rabbits with blue ears. jen ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: TMBG: anyone in chicago? Message-ID: Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 20:25:11 -0500 anyone in chicago or the surrounding area, down to valpo say, want to get in to the april 21 show for free? i need some mad publicity put up in the windy city (metro, other clubs, etc), and would be willing to fax over a few posters or scan them and email them to someone who would then put them up around the city in exchange for a free ticket or two. thanks, j * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 21:49:28 -0500 From: rachel Message-ID: <370AC7B8.605@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: video comp/ tour dates! am i the only person who hasn't gotten their video compilation in the mail? does anyone know when this is going to be released? i assumed (or at least the way it was worded in their catalog) it was early this year but it already april! (sorry if i missed a post on this already). by the way, i plan on going to the valpo show as well as the vogue show in indy (hooray for fake id's!), the bogart's show, the newport show in columbus and perhaps the decatur and louisville shows. perhaps i'll see some of you'z guys there. for once in my life i'm happy i live in indiana... i'm sure it will pass soon. meow, rachel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4r2hvsu00Ui40Eo8A0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 00:28:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-May-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another Fut.. by i my n. is j. or not@jun > I view everyone as an ass? No .. just you. And I didn't start on a > rant--I'm not the one arguing with what seems to be the whole list, am I? > I'm not the one shouting things in capital letters, proclaiming others > to be dense not to see things my way. see, that's where you're making the wrong assuumption... I'm not saying that people should "see things my way," but that they should at least see the point I'm making. You can't argue against something unless you can see where the other side is coming from. I say you miss the point when you try to tell me I'm being self-righteous and telling everyone what is and isn't a reference. You miss the point there because I never have, and never will, say such things. I just said things aren't necessarily references. That's the point you kept missing, and only seem to have just caught on to now. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 00:30:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-May-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another Fut.. by i my n. is j. or not@jun > You have the attitude of one who believes himself always right. again, false. you have been misinterpreting pretty much everything I've said. I have not stated opinions as facts. Saying "I have a problem with..." is not at all self-righteous. It's stating an opinion. Take it or leave it. If I said "What you're doing is absolutely without a doubt wrong and I know it because I'm right," then you might have a case. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 00:46:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another Fut.. by linnel@snet.net > although i know you didn't mean to say it was wrong to be ignorant, > you made it seem like a major crime. i'm not all-knowing... perhaps > your intentions weren't stated clearly enough. or perhaps i just > don't match your apparently superior intelligence. either way, i can > deal with it. maybe I worded it badly... it was a while ago, I can't remember. that certainly was never my intent. ignorance can be a good thing. For example, I'm ignoring every post Jay makes to the list from now on. I think that's a very good thing. > now, i also don't remember anyone ever denying the fact that they > don't know something about a tmbg reference. and it's insane to > expect everyone to admit their ignorance at the beginning of every > post. i can see it now... it's more the way things are stated. when a person says "This is true." it really does imply that they are certain it is a fact. Two words make it all better: "I think...." or "I believe..." or "it seems..." to show their uncertainty of whether something is a fact or not. > and just because you think i didn't understand the content of your e- > mail doesn't mean i'm an idiot. perhaps you're at fault for not > stating what you meant clearly enough. all i have to go by are the > words typed and sent to me in this little box on my screen. I didn't say you were an idiot. I was more referring to Jay who consistently missed the point I was attempting to make. > i can almost agree with you if it wasn't such a trivial, stupid little > thing. you can't take everything everyone says so seriously. who > ever the poor soul was who mentioned the possibly tmbg reference > that started all this didn't try to sound like they knew it all. they > didn't claim to have this superior knowledge. they saw something > that they though was interesting and decided to share it with the > rest of the list. people should be thanking this person for trying to > share something that they thought was interesting instead of > jumping all over them because they weren't aware of something. I'm not jumping all over the person - the concept, though, since this isn't the only time it's happened, by far. And I think it's quite simple to show uncertainty about something, rather than to state it as fact. > it's like someone looks up at the sky on some distant planet that > they have never been to before and says, "wow. the sky here is a > pretty shade of red." next thing you know, a resident of this planet > with 562 eyes covering it's body cops and attitude and yells at the > person, informing them that if they weren't so ignorant, they'd know > that the sky is actually a shade of pink, very close to magenta. all > because the person was a little off, but with GOOD INTENTIONS. actually, the only person I've really been yelling at is Jay, probably because he was such an asshole to me during that damned 2:1 debate, too. I do not wish to yell at people for being ignorant. Ignorance is fine, unless it is of your own ignorance that you're ignorant. (and no, I don't have a thesaurus handy, so that parses really badly) If someone isn't aware that they don't know something, that leads to problems. And there are people like that. Plenty of them. > it's just unnecessarily nit-picky. it wouldn't have been so bad for the > poor little human if someone had just nicely informed them that > although the sky may look red, it's actually closer to magenta. no > harm done. I didn't even tell anyone that it *wasn't* a TMBG reference. I said it wasn't necessarily. Often they aren't, because they're just common phrases that TMBG have used, or things TMBG have made reference/tribute to. If Matt Groening is a fan, though, and does make an effort to include veiled TMBG references in his works, then here's another extremely far-fetched one: in an episode of the Simpsons, a young Homer is hanging around with friends (I think) and the radio is playing... ok, so TMBG didn't exist when Homer was young, but Edgar Winter did. The song? Frankenstein. I'm not saying it is a reference, because, well, it's not even a TMBG song, but if you're writing a show and are a TMBG fan, in a scene from the early 70s, you'll include Frankenstein (likewise Maybe I Know in the 50s, maybe even Istanbul in the 40s :) but it's certainly no direct reference, and only someone who either collects bootlegs or has been to a show in the 1992-1994 era would even know that TMBG covered Frankenstein. (in things I write, I do include TMBG references, but I often just use wording they've used, because many of the blatant TMBG references would sound out of place other than in the songs they occur in. That, and they'd look like a concerted effort to reference them. I've heard people say in movies "Look at all the people in the window," which is perhaps where John Linnell got the idea from....) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 00:12:19 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AE933.E88F279F@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Todd Wetherbee wrote: > Context. Good word. I'm thinking about making a list manifesto. > Here's an excerpt: > The true TMBG list member must always, when making a 'joke', include the > context of the joke in order to make it clear to other members that they > are joking. To fail to do so would be to implicitly nullify one's > inherent 'list memberness'. At this point, the imposter list member > would not only be causing damage to him or herself but also placing many > true list members at risk, possibly even endangering them by causing > them to grit their teeth. This individual should be summarily executed. > Perhaps beaten to death with a baby seal? Or maybe forced to listen to the insubstantial gripes of some of us listies :P bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Me get cash money, I laser you eyeball!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 00:17:32 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AEA6C.1828D3D3@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > In a way, anything someone says is a reference, whether it is or not, > becomes so when a person believes it is - to that person it can be a > reference. However, it doesn't mean that the people writing it intended > it as a reference, and one can't very well say "There are TMBG > references in such-and-such" as a fact unless they know for sure. Do you know that you are right? Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Rev. Solomon... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Speaking only the truth, except for the lies" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 00:22:59 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AEBB3.48800A8@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be Friends? LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 4/6/99 3:54:06 AM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: > > > Okay, so is it like manditory now to read the FAQ before > > > >joining this list? > > no, but it's just common sense to do so. but not even that -- when *i* read > it, it was because i wanted to know everything i could possibly know about > TMBG and then some. i still imagine what the rabid child video looks like... > :) > True. I've always found the best way to fit into a group is to have some idea of what people want to hear, and what they've already heard a thousand times. Reading the FAQ is natural to me when I join any ng or list, and I always assume that at least 50% of other people do so, too, but I'm an optimist. > >If everybody just relied on the FAQ for this, > > > >we wouldn't have a list. > > untrue. There'd always be the off topic topic, and the Simpsons references. And when the video comp is out, I have a feeling there's gonna be a rush unlike any seen before. > >If my questions as a younger, more oblivious > > > >fan of TMBG are annoying you guys (even though I thought I could bring > > > >up stuff like this with fellow TMBG fans) just tell me to fuck off and > > > >read the FAQ, and I'll gladly leave. > > not everything is in the FAQ. you could read it, that might help a couple > things. i have no idea what's in your head. but life is not summarized by > FAQ files. > Unfortunately, mine is... :P bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Necco Wafer" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 00:30:44 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AED84.5E8FD010@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Vote on TRL Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > Go here: > http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain > or call 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' > video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th to be shown on MTV's > "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! I have an idea: Let's just let MTV stay with those young hipsters who dig that froody groove that they dig so well (though I must say I'm oft-times disgusted). Let's just buy the Video collection when it comes out, and that way we'll benefit both TMBG and ourselves in a much more substantial way. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "The nuns will visit the list!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 00:33:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: me no get no mailing list Message-ID: <19990407.003318.14102.1.khurby@juno.com> From: safety pin i feel so alone ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 00:42:52 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AF05C.1004BFB2@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another > Fut.. by Bob Scott@tmbg.org > > There are several factors here resulting in people being certain of > > TMBG references. They fervently adore TMBG and want to see them everywhere > > they look. Many members of the list are younger and obviously do not have > > the rights of certainty which you solemnly hold. There is no certainty in > > life. I think that > > youu still don't get it. try paying attention to what I'm writing. I > am *NOT* *CERTAIN*. I'm saying that they COULD be references, but they > also COULD NOT, and USUALLY AREN'T. Are you trying to tell me that your use of caps doesn't symbolize some kind of certainty? I at no point said that you were certain about any TMBG references you posted, as I can't recall any you actually referred to in this whole thread. If they might be references, let the people post them. Others who haven't found these references might like to know. It's not that much skin off your nose... > > most of the listies understand this. But if you truly think it's harmful > > for someone to say "I was watching 'Grandma Ned's Cooking Show' and Grandma > > Ned said 'Let's become a robot'" (It was a strange episode, apparently), > > and then draw the conclusion: "Grandma Ned or one of the writers of her > > show is a fan of TMBG." > > that's a little more blatant a reference, though. although, I still > think they should never post these things as facts unless they know. > That is *probably* a TMBG reference, but it could just be a coincidence. > The point is we don't know for sure. It's a matter of how you phrase > it. If you say "It's a TMBG reference!" then you're claiming to know > for sure. Say goodbye to the first amendment! > > Ignorance exists in the world. But sometimes ignorance is power. Think > > about it: Why would they bother posting it to the list if they knew for a > > fact that it was a reference? Obviously, someone else would have already > > for the same reason that people keep posting about the hidden track on > Factory Showroom. Secret track on Factory Showroom? ;) bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Just for the fun of it" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 00:47:47 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AF183.976ABA5C@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? linnel@snet.net wrote : > maybe they didn't label their post with > DISCLAIMER: THIS MAY NOT BE TRUE, BUT I'M NOT GOING > TO TRY TO FORCE IT DOWN YOUR THROAT AS FACT > ANYWAY SO I DON'T KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE > COMPLAINING. I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS NEAT before they get > to proceed with the originally planned post Perhaps a disclaimer similar to those you see with certain documentaries should just be put with every message :) >The writer of this message has his or her own opinions. There may be other ways to consider the facts presented, but this message will simply deal with the way the writer feels is best. Perhaps people who write books should be careful of the things they write, lest they be sued for libel. Stephen King writes (not really, but just play along) "I saw a TMBG reference in last weeks Today Show!" Kathy Lee rushes in and cuffs him, reading him his rights. Why? I really wouldn't know... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "..." Scott ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <2f068469.243c48a1@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:35:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: me no get no mailing list In a message dated 4/7/99 12:34:45 AM, khurby@juno.com writes: >i feel so alone are you not subscribed? >Re: TMBG: me no get no mailing list i laser you eye ball. :) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:00:51 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AF493.222E3759@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > It's bad when you are not certain about something AND state it as if you > are certain about it. It's ignorant, hypocritical, and shows that you > probably don't even care if you're wrong. THAT is what I have a problem > with. But before you said that if a person thinks they are certain and says that they are when they are not (though you say that they think they are, which means that THEY are), then they are ignorant. And you don't seem to care that you've dragged this out so far without actually making much sense of it. > It's the difference between stating something as fact and stating it as belief. But many Christians see their belief as a fact. I, on the other hand, as an Agnostic, see it as a possibility. And yes, it annoys me when they come up to me and try to tell me their facts. But does this equate someone on a friendly (?) list posting a harmless message postulating that something is a reference to the subject of the list? We all understand what you're saying, though it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. You say basically that unless one is certain of something they shouldn't post. But the only way to be certain about a TMBG reference in Futurama (fully, 100% certain) would be to speak to Matt Groening. I don't think most of us on the list have this ability. But perhaps one of us does have this magical power. So here's a hypothetical situation. I post a reference I believe to be to TMBG on the Simpsons. I post it to the list. After days of fighting off hate mail, I find that someone on the list is going to have the opportunity to ask Groening a question. I tell them that asking about any TMBG references in his cartoons/comic strips would simply be as ideal and wondrous as the cake and tea of the Elysian Fields (it's hypothetical). Something is gained from the annoying and destructive post which said "I just saw Homer say 'Ooh! Check out the beauty of THIS felt tip pen!" (which would be a Mono Puff reference, but close enough) Well, most of you are thinking, with regards to this message, "Burn it!!! Send it back to hell!!!" So I'll let it conclude. But maybe LPS has seen that perhaps it isn't necessarily all bad to post a persons thoughts to the list. I mean really, what has he been doing, other than dictating what is good and what is not (more of what is not). bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Haven't seen tonight's Futurama yet, but about to" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:11:28 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AF710.BF83DB5E@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > I'm not saying I'm better. But most people would agree that it's a bad > idea to spout of opinions as facts. THAT IS ALL I'M SAYING. But no one > is getting it. I agree that it's bad to state one's opinions as facts. Since you seem to be the only one with such symptoms, perhaps you could let your holier-than-the-list attitude quell so that people can get back to their meager, uninteresting lives. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Uncertainty is my middle name" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:15:42 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AF80E.BA9E9464@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Send it back to hell!(the subject, at least) (Was:Re: TMBG: Maybe Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-May-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another > Fut.. by i my n. is j. or not@jun > > You have the attitude of one who believes himself always right. > > again, false. you have been misinterpreting pretty much everything I've > said. I have not stated opinions as facts. Saying "I have a problem > with..." is not at all self-righteous. It's stating an opinion. Take > it or leave it. If I said "What you're doing is absolutely without a > doubt wrong and I know it because I'm right," then you might have a case. Someone who's stating an opinion so fervently and perseveredly as yourself obviously finds it to be a truth worth fighting for. So keep searching for that grail, King Solomon. Perhaps you should check the mines? bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Babbling like a monkey in the ocean" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:29:01 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370AFB2C.4F7765E1@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: NON-TMBG:The Perfect Message - A sonnet Well, not really a sonnet, at least I don't believe it to be. Whilst walking down what I believed to be the street, I saw what I think was a quarter, possibly dated 1994, made of some kind of amalgamation of metals which I'm quite unfamiliar with, or at least I wouldn't want to take any guesses for fear of being wrong. I put the quarter in what others have called my wallet, though I only carry wallet sized photos in my radiator carcass (what I call my wallet), due to the fact that I have never, with 100% certainty, known that it was a wallet, as the sign in the store where I bought it said billfold. If only I'd bought what many would call a money clip. Not that I could put the might-be quarter in a money clip if I had it. That would be a bit beyond my experience. -So ends THAT rubbish. If we were to show every doubt we have about things we say in a message, it would be much more drawn out (and in this case quite boring, though if you gave some great writer free-reign with such an idea, they could make it work), and in essence, basically uninteresting. I think we can all understand that when someone says something, it is otherwise opinion, what they believe to be true, or some strange combination thereof. Of course, there are facts, but as anyone knows, you can't ever be 100% certain that you ain't done nothing wrong. This is the list, not an IRS audit. Keep it fun people. No hard feelings, to anyone involved in the dispute. Opinions aren't often agreeable. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Not bosbcott" Scott ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:13:45 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: is it a TMBG reference or is it memorex? Message-ID: <9861-370B13B9-23@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Jim Kuemmerle when stating his feelings about the constant bickering between Jay & Lawrence said: ...or (b) take your argument off-list?... Now I'm writing: Yes! Please do! Both of you are welocome to join TMBGofftopic still. We're progressing very well as a list, and we'd love for you 2 to bring your extreme off topicness over here! At least consider it. me, Dexburger P.S.- Oh yeah, thanks for defending me with that whole Allen Ginsburgh thing, Jim. copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:45:17 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: That's not right! Message-ID: <9861-370B1B1D-111@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Now okay, this is just sad. Amy wrote when talking about Futurama tonight: ...P. S. I would like to make it perfectly clear that I was joking in this short, meaningless post. Please do not misconstrue my humor for ignorance, for I would not wish to offend any of you... Now I'm writing: This has gone too far. We shouldn't have to do this. We need to just act goofy every once in awhile to save our souls! We should all know that that "reference" Amy stated was not real. And you know what, even though I'm sure she was probably joking around with that P.S. a the end, I'll bet there would have been some people who wouldv'e been all bent outta' shape about, "that wasn't a reference, you're so dense Amy" if she didn't write it. And now that she did, people will probably say "don't waste precious list room with this, go to that moot for a list (sorry Sarah) TMBGofftopic (which you're welcome to join)." So I am hereby removing the giant stick out of the ass of this list. We're free! Post silly stuff, it's what the Johns would want. me, Dexburger copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 02:05:34 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Battle of Truth, Justice & Mere Opinion... Message-ID: <9861-370B1FDE-174@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> There! That's the new subject header for the thing that evolved of the Maybe another Futurama TMBG reference, which I have become very sick of, and stopped following a long time ago. And like Jim, I would like to look for those post that actually have somthing to do with the subject. So I beg of you! please use this new, very lovely subject I've given you: "Battle of Truth, Justice & Mere Opinion..." me, Dexburger P.S.- That means, when you want to discuss that argument that's been going on, just reply to this, and don't mention anything about the contents of this message, only what you would've said in "Maybe another Futurama TMBG reference" okay? copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 5:00 & 5:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199904071044.GAA08129@pop.snet.net> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 06:42:34 -0400 Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: the reference dispute > > You have the attitude of one who believes himself always right. > > again, false. you have been misinterpreting pretty much everything I've > said. I have not stated opinions as facts. Saying "I have a problem > with..." is not at all self-righteous. It's stating an opinion. Take > it or leave it. If I said "What you're doing is absolutely without a > doubt wrong and I know it because I'm right," then you might have a case. ok... but what makes this different than the tmbg references? it's like people are saying, "i saw this here, and it pertains to tmbg this way" and you're taking it as, "I saw a tmbg reference, and i am without a doubt right, and i know it and there's no discussion." see? the communists have made it all a vicious circle. it's all how you, personally, look at things. jen ------------------------------ From: OtisINF0@aol.com Message-ID: <3532aa6d.243ca8b2@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:25:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: Lock Haven PA show Anyone have any info about this show, the website isn't all that helpful. I need a venue and ticket info, how much, where I can buy them and so on and so forth. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx Justin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0r2q5Py00UiC02DY80@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:44:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another Fut.. by Bob Scott@tmbg.org > Do you know that you are right? Perhaps you should practice what you > preach, Rev. Solomon... I do. The fact that you believe that I don't clearly says to me that you *didn't* see what I was saying earlier. Even if it's a reference to you, it's *still* just an opinion. So my comment about not everything necessarily being a reference still stands. Also, it would seem that most of the time when someone makes a post regarding a TMBG reference in popular culture, it is with the intent, or at least implied intent, of making that object's creator out to be a TMBG fan, or one who would deliberately fill his work with references. So saying "There's a reference in Futurama..." is valid and invalid on different levels. If you see it as a reference, fine. You see it as a reference. That doesn't mean that the creators put it there as such. And that's really what I've been getting at the whole time. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0r2qBbG00UiC02DZk0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:53:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another Fut.. by Bob Scott@tmbg.org > Are you trying to tell me that your use of caps doesn't symbolize some kind > of certainty? I at no point said that you were certain about any TMBG > references you posted, as I can't recall any you actually referred to in > this whole thread. If they might be references, let the people post them. > Others who haven't found these references might like to know. It's not that > much skin off your nose... I am certain that I don't know for sure whether they're references or not. > > that's a little more blatant a reference, though. although, I still > > think they should never post these things as facts unless they know. > > That is *probably* a TMBG reference, but it could just be a coincidence. > > The point is we don't know for sure. It's a matter of how you phrase > > it. If you say "It's a TMBG reference!" then you're claiming to know > > for sure. > Say goodbye to the first amendment! how does that violate the first amendment? I never said laws should be passed to restrict what people can say on the TMBG mailing list. I said that people should never post things as facts unless they're sure they're facts. Otherwise they're just opinions. That's my point. Again, it appears to have been missed. Besides, Leo can, technically, decide what does and doesn't go on the list. The First Amendment doesn't apply to this list anyway. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:00:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another Fut.. by Bob Scott@tmbg.org > Agnostic, see it as a possibility. And yes, it annoys me when they come up > to me and try to tell me their facts. But does this equate someone on a > friendly (?) list posting a harmless message postulating that something is > a reference to the subject of the list? the idea is that opinions and facts are different. When some religious zealot comes up to me and tries to tell me he "knows" that God exists, I tell him that I believe that to be false, and that his statement is only a belief as well, and asked him to prove to me that God exists to back up his claim that it is true. His proof? The bible says so. My response? Why do you believe the bible. Because God says so. > We all understand what you're saying, though it doesn't stand up to > scrutiny. You say basically that unless one is certain of something they > shouldn't post. But the bzzzzt. wrong again. I didn't say they shouldn't post. I said they shouldn't post it *as fact*. People can post all they want, but they shouldn't be confusing facts with opinions. Otherwise, all those "Are the Johns gay?" threads from years ago would come out (no pun intended) as someone saying "The Johns are gay!" and someone else saying "Are you sure about that? They're both married, you know..." and so on... > only way to be certain about a TMBG reference in Futurama (fully, 100% > certain) would be to speak to Matt Groening. I don't think most of us on > the list have this ability. But perhaps one of us does have this magical > power. he's doing an online chat some time this week... > So here's a hypothetical situation. I post a reference I believe to be to > TMBG on the Simpsons. I post it to the list. After days of fighting off > hate mail, I find that someone on the list is going to have the opportunity > to ask Groening a question. I tell them that asking about any TMBG > references in his cartoons/comic strips would simply be as ideal and > wondrous as the cake and tea of the Elysian Fields (it's hypothetical). > Something is gained from the annoying and destructive post which said "I > just saw Homer say 'Ooh! Check out the beauty of THIS felt tip pen!" (which > would be a Mono Puff reference, but close enough) NO! You are missing my point. I'm not saying "don't post at all." I'm saying don't post as fact unless you know it's a fact. Keep in mind that there's a huge difference between saying "This is true" and "I think this is true." Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:03:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another Fut.. by Bob Scott@tmbg.org > I agree that it's bad to state one's opinions as facts. Since you seem to > be the only one with such symptoms, perhaps you could let your > holier-than-the-list attitude quell so that people can get back to their > meager, uninteresting lives. see. it's totally clear now. you're not really getting what I'm saying. I don't care whether or not you agree with me, but at least understand my point. I'm not trying to be the list policeman or anything stupid like that. I'm just pointing out (or trying to) that not everything is necessarily a TMBG reference. So to both you and Jay, who seem to be the only ones left who really aren't seeing what I have to say, I give a hearty "Fuck you! I've killfiled you both." Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:04:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: the reference dispute Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Apr-99 TMBG: non-tmbg: the referen.. by linnel@snet.net > ok... but what makes this different than the tmbg references? it's > like people are saying, "i saw this here, and it pertains to tmbg this > way" and you're taking it as, "I saw a tmbg reference, and i am > without a doubt right, and i know it and there's no discussion." > > see? the communists have made it all a vicious circle. > > it's all how you, personally, look at things. it's all in the wording. don't make me invoke Godwin's Law. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:17:41 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: godwin's law Message-ID: On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > it's all in the wording. > > don't make me invoke Godwin's Law. :) what's godwin's law? --jim kuemmerle, who hopes invoking godwin's law isn't anything like "crossing the streams"... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990407153455.98739.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be Friends? Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 08:34:55 PDT Bob Scott wrote: >LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > >> In a message dated 4/6/99 3:54:06 AM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >> >> > Okay, so is it like manditory now to read the FAQ >> >before >> > >> >joining this list? >> >> no, but it's just common sense to do so. but not even that -- when >> >> *i* read >> it, it was because i wanted to know everything i could possibly >> know about >> TMBG and then some. i still imagine what the rabid child video >> looks like... >> :) >> > >True. I've always found the best way to fit into a group is to have >some idea of >what people want to hear, and what they've already heard a thousand >times. >Reading the FAQ is natural to me when I join any ng or list, and I >always assume >that at least 50% of other people do so, too, but I'm an optimist. Aren't the instructions for subscribing to the list IN the FAQ? I suppose someone could have learned how to subscribe from another source, but I would imagine that most people here have at least glanced at the FAQ, if only to learn how to get onto the list. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Camper Van Beethoven, Telephone Free Landslide Victory _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990407162147.34991.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:21:47 PDT > Even if it's a reference to >you, it's *still* just an opinion. So my comment about not everything >necessarily being a reference still stands. Also, it would seem that >most of the time when someone makes a post regarding a TMBG reference in >popular culture, it is with the intent, or at least implied intent, of >making that object's creator out to be a TMBG fan, or one who would >deliberately fill his work with references. So saying "There's a >reference in Futurama..." is valid and invalid on different levels. If >you see it as a reference, fine. You see it as a reference. That >doesn't mean that the creators put it there as such. And that's really >what I've been getting at the whole time. I think that a good idea would be for you to get at something different now. > >Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu >"Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently > you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. > _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-33 ******************************