Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-35 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 35 Friday, 9 April 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: futurama wars? don't read this, please. Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? TMBG: tmbg shitrt TMBG: tmbg shirt Re: non-TMBG: I can just barely hear you Re: non-TMBG: I can just barely hear you Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: godwin's law Re: TMBG: Anyone going to the Rochester show? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: godwin's law TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie... Re:NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) Re: non-TMBG: I can just barely hear you Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be Friends? Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be Friends? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: godwin's law TMBG: Re: She Might Be A Newbie... Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? TMBG: Everything! Yes, EVERYTHING! Re:NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) RE: NON-TMBG: MTV (or: The Internet Killed the Video Star) Re: TMBG: Digests since 17-1 Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: Other Bands Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (or: The Internet Killed the Video Star) Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) RE: NON-TMBG: Info on Doug Adams Fwd: TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie... RE: NON-TMBG: MTV (or: The Internet Killed the Video Star) RE: NON-TMBG: Info on Doug Adams RE: NON-TMBG: Info on Doug Adams Re: Fwd: TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie... NON-TMBG: "long dark TMBG-time of the soul"? Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie... TMBG: Check this out! Re: TMBG: Check this out! Re: TMBG: Check this out! Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Re: TMBG: Check this out! Re: TMBG: Check this out! Re: TMBG: Check this out! Re: TMBG: Check this out! Re: TMBG: Check this out! Re: TMBG: me no get no mailing list Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:12:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: futurama wars? don't read this, please. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-May-99 Re: TMBG: futurama wars? d.. by i my n. is j. or not@jun > let me try being as clear as possible: your point is that one should not > state as fact what he cannot absolutely be sure as fact, as in false > references to tmbg, is it not? i see that. i've said i see that ... if > that is not your point, then quite obviously i'm doing something wrong. > i have only argued because you effected a self righteous, angry attitude > about the whole matter--that is what i'm arguing against. hmm, I seem to remember hitting the "reply to sender" button on that one. you may be arguing against that now, but your argument still at times implies that you think I want to enforce a "no posting opinions" law on the list. > i saw your "point" from the beginning. however, i neither agreed with > nor approved of the manner in which you stated it. that's the only point > i've been trying to make--that you're being too angry, too testy, too > self righteous. do you understand? please tell me you do. i fear for > you if you do not. all I said at the very beginning was "not everything is a reference." Yes, I said people were obsessed for looking what appears to be a little to hard for them, but hey, we're all obsessed with something to some degree or another. I understand, I just disagree. I think your own attitudes of anger, testiness, and self-righteousness are causing you to want to place those on me so you have something to argue against. Either that or one of us badly worded something or misinterpreted the other's wording. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:15:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Maybe another Fut.. by Bob Scott@tmbg.org > I believe that killfiling someone because of their opinion, and sitting > about the list repeating the exact same thing equates the behavior of a > child. Everyone I did not killfile the people because of their opinions. I killfiled them (or said I would :) because I was sick of having people misinterpret me and argue against things that I didn't say. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990407221907.7870.rocketmail@web210.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:19:07 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: tmbg shitrt _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990407222229.3637.rocketmail@web219.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:22:29 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: tmbg shirt I don't know if the list is working cause i haven;t got a digest in a while, but i got this phat tmbg shirt it's for the event staff at this show at cornell and it has a big pic of them on back thats like a drawing of the background on tdk's page, it also says staff and it has the flood logo on front except with just They Might Be Giants. and it's blue. -Chris PS. if anyone wants to check out the relitavely new band 12Rods go to my new site http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/12rods there are some links to mp3's too _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:16:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: non-TMBG: I can just barely hear you Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Apr-99 non-TMBG: I can just barely.. by "Todd Wetherbee"@hotmail > Have you ever been to a concert where you stood so close to the > speaker that you heard an irritating high-pitched ringing in your ear > after the show was over and then you went home and went to bed and > woke up and went to work and worked all day and the annoying ringing > still didn't go away? Because that has been my experience today. > Does that mean that its permanent? Will I ever be able to detect bass > with my left ear again? I feel so ...fragile. Somebody hold me > please. no, it's not permanent. I had that happen at the 9:30 club once, and every concert after that I wore earplugs for. Yeah, it sounds wimpy, but I'm a musician, too, and with the number of concerts I go to I can't afford to not wear them, especially standing in the front. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:22:50 -0400 Subject: Re: non-TMBG: I can just barely hear you Message-ID: <19990407.182253.2662.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae >>Have you ever been to a concert where you stood so close to the >speaker that you heard an irritating high-pitched ringing in your ear >after the show was over and then you went home and went to bed and >woke up and went to work and worked all day and the annoying ringing >still didn't go away? Because that has been my experience today. >Does that mean that its permanent? Will I ever be able to detect bass >with my left ear again? I feel so ...fragile. Somebody hold me >please. It'll most likely go away. I've that happen before, and it went away a day or so later (although, if, say, five days from now it's still happening, I suggest seeing a doctor). Albeit, it is annoying, but it gives you a new appreciation for sound once it goes away. But I can't hold you, I'm sorry. That would require invading my personal space (which I prefer to keep at about a five-foot radius about me). I feel your pain though, if it's any consolation - I was experiencing the same this morning, only not too bad. On another note, in case anyone was wondering about the big Five Iron Frenzy show - It was great (I came early and got to work as "security," name tag and everything - got in free! who says punk has to be expensive?). I have to say, though, that one in four punk bands suck. That's my equation based on last night's show: Relient K was good (as always), Switchfoot was surprisingly good (I'd not heard them before, it was nice), and Five Iron was rad (and although lead singer Reese Roper was actually told by a doctor not to sing or even talk for five days, he did anyway and did a damn good job at that...), but Smiley Kids sucked pretty much. Ah well. But, oh, the moshing. I, scrawny lil' girl of a mere 5 foot 1 inch, had a lot of trouble competing in the mosh pit. I've got my shares of bruises, but I guess that's the price one pays for being punk for a night... Oh, and on yet another note, there's a big article in the newest SPIN magazine about Ben Folds Five, about the new album and all. Pictures too. Look for it, the cover features... Futurama. A possible reference? :-) So it goes. ever-sincere, erika, Jeff the Girl is my hero! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:38:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: godwin's law Message-ID: <19990407.183841.2662.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae > > of course, I can't really invoke it because, well, to compare Jay to the > > Nazis still wouldn't be accurate or appropriate. I despise Nazis much > > more than I despise Jay. > > > Well, that and Jay never tried to systematically kill an entire race of > people... >>ahem. how do YOU know what jay did this weekend? i heard the >>phrase "world domination" come up a few times in his plans... I assure you, as his co-conspirator and boss, Jay's world domination plans involve nothing more than overthrowing phone companies, adopting elephants, making Aaron Spelling pay and exposing the scandalous affair between Candice Bergan and Jesus. Oh, and we're pirates, not communists. ever-sincere, eriKa, but you may call me Cap'n Raisin Box ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <2a27d263.243d38fd@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:41:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone going to the Rochester show? Heck yeah I'm going. I'm bringing I think at least 3 friends with me..it was going to be a lot more, but people had to back out because there are SATs the next day, but smart me is taking them later in the year, yay! -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:17:55 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: godwin's law Message-ID: On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > Anne Frank, indeed! BTW, who on this list really has much credibility to > begin with? kirsten, of course. :) --jim "EEK! nazis! EEK!" kuemmerle... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <39876eec.243d5330@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:32:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie... Hello out there in List-Land ~ ~ I've been watching the "TMBG Reference War" with curiosity, as it began right after I subscribed :-) Anyways, with maybe a teeny bit of trepidation as I come up to the podium to do my official "Hi there, my name is Karen, and this is my first time here" intro, I will be brave (at least for now), and tell you all a bit about myself. I am a 33-year-old NJ housewife, a mother of two teenagers, and have loved TMBG since I saw their "Birdhouse In Your Soul" vid on MTV (and no, it wasn't on 120 Minutes at 2 a.m. either). I bought the Flood album, but liked a friend of mine so much that I gave the tape to her (she described the music as "different, but amusing"). I have since purchased the Flood, John Henry, Factory Showroom, and Apollo 18 CDs. My son, Terry, has been downloading TMBG Mp3s for me ~ ~ and in the process, he and his friend John (yes, yet another one ) have become new fans to the band as well. I love hearing the two of them laughing at certain lines in the songs, or just the music itself. A whole new generation of fans falling for J & J. The Internet, not MTV, was responsible in Terry and John's discovery of the group, and it gives me pause when I think of how computers have changed the teen scene in general. In my own experience, TV/Movies/Music brought my cultural icons to me in the 70's, and MTV played a large new role in the 80's. Now, the computer in the 90's is allowing those same artists so many avenues in which to provide their talents to willing audiences. Even more all new-and-improved ways to enjoy TMBG's "quirky brilliance" (to quote from Columbia House). Well, I guess that's enough prattling on for now :-) Oh, and if there are any list members wild about Douglas Adams' work (such as Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy), just know that you have a sister in me, friend :-) Karen "I guess I should start coming up with new middle names myself" Riley (MuseKJ@aol.com) P.S. Todd Wetherbee, I love your kind of humor. And if/when you reply to that comment, be kind :-) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904080129.VAA16996@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 21:30:41 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re:NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) At 08:32 PM 4/7/99 -0400, MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: >In my own experience, TV/Movies/Music brought my >cultural icons to me in the 70's, and MTV played a large new role in the >80's. I know it's been said, but the sad thing is that now MTV plays almost no role. If you're watching MTV, looking for something different that hasn't already been played 20,000 million times, 120 Min is your only hope, although it's on obsenely late, as you mentioned. The Real World, Road Rules, and Daria is all you're likely to see nowadays, unless you're interested in turning on TRL to see what's currently popular with the teenyboppers (although I must admit I enjoy Sifl & Ollie and the Tom Green Show). Even worthless shows such as Say What and Video Cliches are pathetic excuses for showing the same videos. "Ooh, look, aren't we innovative, we're showing the lyrics this time! Look now, we're having a countdown until cleavage appears in this video!" It makes me want to bash in my TV set. M2 was a decent idea, but it's more of an excuse for MTV than a viable alternative, seeing that I've never been to a locale that carries the channel. I guess my point is, I long for the days when I was 6 and my 14 year old uncle would turn on MTV and I would hate it because I thought music videos were boring. Now that I want to see more music videos, all I get are crappy TV shows and pathetic excuses for music video programs :( --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 20:40:51 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <370C0922.95AB5D64@thebigdogs.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) Jason Fickley wrote: > If you're watching MTV, looking for something different that hasn't > already been played 20,000 million times, Hmmm, 20,000 million times, that sounds familliar........ ; ) Oh, hey, this might be an okay time to bring this up, I recently made a rather lovely cartoon version of "She's An Angel" (which really is insane, considering I can't draw, must be the power of the Johns). Anyways, my dad says he'll try and scan it and if all works out, I'll be mailing this very list with the URL. I should be amusing, if not intriguing, especially since I hid references to other TMBG songs in each panel. And yes, I AM a TMBG fan and they were ment to be references. Anyway, I'll let you know when it's ready! Oh, and I agree on every point that Jason made about MTV. that groovy chick, Laura "There's a hunger in her soul for tater tot casserole, with the crispy on the outside" -Nerf Herder ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904080214.WAA150056@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 22:15:03 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) At 08:40 PM 4/7/99 -0500, Laura Helbling wrote: >> If you're watching MTV, looking for something different that hasn't >> already been played 20,000 million times, > >Hmmm, 20,000 million times, that sounds familliar........ ; ) Yes, it was a reference. That is a fact. There is no debate. :) --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990408021902.96600.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: non-TMBG: I can just barely hear you Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 19:19:00 PDT >>>Have you ever been to a concert where you stood so close to the >>speaker that you heard an irritating high-pitched ringing in your ear >>after the show was over and then you went home and went to bed and >>woke up and went to work and worked all day and the annoying ringing >>still didn't go away? Because that has been my experience today. >>Does that mean that its permanent? Will I ever be able to detect bass >>with my left ear again? I feel so ...fragile. Somebody hold me >>please. > > >It'll most likely go away. I've that happen before, and it went away a >day or so later (although, if, say, five days from now it's still >happening, I suggest seeing a doctor). Albeit, it is annoying, but it >gives you a new appreciation for sound once it goes away. > Thank you all for your consolation and advice. Keep spreading the love. >But I can't hold you, I'm sorry. That would require invading my personal >space (which I prefer to keep at about a five-foot radius about me). Then could you at least sing me a happy song? One with not too many cusswords? ever-stage-whispering, Todd >ever-sincere, >erika, >Jeff the Girl is my hero! > >"It's been cool to be cool for too long now > >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html >or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 21:12:41 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <370C1099.810FB297@thebigdogs.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) No debate here. : ) that groovy chick, who just wrote a post without reason, Laura, "Yes, the DAS # IS meant to be a reference"Helbling ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <59479bd0.243d13af@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 16:01:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be Friends? In a message dated 4/7/99 2:59:10 PM, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: >I don't really care what >people think of me here anyway. I have my friends in real life, and >real life is much better than online life anyway. well, that doesn't mean you have to be an ass on here, sending hundreds of people about 30 messages a day for some stupid argument. get over it. go argue with some of your real life friends, or join a debate team.. _something_. bleh. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 00:13:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be Friends? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Why Can't We Be F.. by LimeZinger@aol.com > well, that doesn't mean you have to be an ass on here, sending hundreds of > people about 30 messages a day for some stupid argument. get over it. > go argue with some of your real life friends, or join a debate team.. > _something_. it came out as a lot of messages because lots of people were responding to me, and there were points in each message I felt I needed to address. My mail program doesn't easily cut and paste, so it's not really feasible to combine them all into one long message. Had it been exactly one person, it probably would have ended up in personal mail a long time ago. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:43:00 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370C33D4.E75D584D@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: godwin's law Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > --jim "EEK! nazis! EEK!" kuemmerle... Damn Canadians! ;) bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Heralding the heralding of some herald or other..." Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:51:08 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370C35BC.1EBF865F@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: She Might Be A Newbie... MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > Hello out there in List-Land ~ ~ > > I've been watching the "TMBG Reference War" with curiosity, as it began > right after I subscribed :-) Anyways, with maybe a teeny bit of trepidation > as I come up to the podium to do my official "Hi there, my name is Karen, and > this is my first time here" intro, I will be brave (at least for now), and > tell you all a bit about myself. I am a 33-year-old NJ housewife, a mother of > two teenagers, and have loved TMBG since I saw their "Birdhouse In Your Soul" > vid on MTV (and no, it wasn't on 120 Minutes at 2 a.m. either). I bought the > Flood album, but liked a friend of mine so much that I gave the tape to her > (she described the music as "different, but amusing"). I have since purchased > the Flood, John Henry, Factory Showroom, and Apollo 18 CDs. My son, Terry, > has been downloading TMBG Mp3s for me ~ ~ and in the process, he and his > friend John (yes, yet another one ) have become new fans to the band as > well. I love hearing the two of them laughing at certain lines in the songs, > or just the music itself. A whole new generation of fans falling for J & J. > The Internet, not MTV, was responsible in Terry and John's discovery of the > group, and it gives me pause when I think of how computers have changed the > teen scene in general. In my own experience, TV/Movies/Music brought my > cultural icons to me in the 70's, and MTV played a large new role in the > 80's. Now, the computer in the 90's is allowing those same artists so many > avenues in which to provide their talents to willing audiences. Even more all > new-and-improved ways to enjoy TMBG's "quirky brilliance" (to quote from > Columbia House). Well, I guess that's enough prattling on for now :-) Oh, and > if there are any list members wild about Douglas Adams' work (such as > Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy), just know that you have a sister in me, > friend :-) Let me be one of the first to welcome you to the TMBG list! Many of us listies love Douglas Adams and all of his incarnations. Let me assure you that I'm not near as serious as I was (if you can consider my attitude serious) in the reference battle. I look forward to seeing future messages from you! Bob "Mike Leffel didn't originate this type of signature" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:57:06 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370C3722.237FCF2C@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > I did not killfile the people because of their opinions. I killfiled > them (or said I would :) because I was sick of having people > misinterpret me and argue against things that I didn't say. Were those messages going to your inbox and the list? If so, I apologize, as I didn't realize that Netscape Messenger sent to both when I left-clicked reply. When something is so drawn out in the future, I'll be sure to check that it's being sent 1 place or the other. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Lemon curry?" Scott ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <5b370264.243da670@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 02:28:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? In a message dated 4/7/99 5:05:58 PM, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: >I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue unless you pay. > well sir, you must be mighty rich about now then, yes? whoever's paying him, STOP! sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009001be818a$038e9b20$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Everything! Yes, EVERYTHING! Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 00:35:37 -0600 First off, I'd like to give a great big welcome to Karen. Nice to have you on the list. I'm Nick, the official TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico, and the only current candidate for the position of Vagueness Judge (Yes, people, I did make that original post vague on purpose). You will find that lots of us love Douglas Adams, and many are eagerly awaiting the sixth installment to the ever increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's Trilogy, "The Salmon Of Doubt." Speaking of which, anyone know when that's supposed to be out? As for that ringing in the ears thing, it's called tinitis. It'll go away eventually. It's caused by excessively loud, and long lasting sounds. The sound waves disrupt the little hairs inside your ear, and a bunch of them get pushed so they point at your brain. It's feedback, folks. Like pointing a microphone into the speaker it's ouputting through. It is only temporary, but eh...don't think that means it's not a bad thing. If it lasted /that/ long, you might want to start wearing earplugs to loud concerts. Bummer, yes...and definitely not cool looking, but it beats being deaf, most likely. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico. Only candidate for the position of Vagueness Judge. My Shoutcast channel is at 129.138.34.90:7050. No guarantee it'll be up all the time, but at least it's a start, no? Oh yeah. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550 The first Julie Plug tribute page in history!!! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <28122c97.243e0fa7@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:56:55 EDT Subject: Re:NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) At 08:32 PM 4/7/99 -0400, MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: >In my own experience, TV/Movies/Music brought my >cultural icons to me in the 70's, and MTV played a large new role in the >80's. I know it's been said, but the sad thing is that now MTV plays almost no role. Well, it does play a role in this crazy world of ours, albeit not one I can be proud of. I saw the downhill slide begin on that channel once they shelved 120 Minutes from 12 midnight to 2 a.m. I set my VCR for about a month after the change, but then didn't bother going through the trouble anymore. I agree with everything you basically said in your post, Jason. Karen "what the world needs now is the 24-hour TMBG/Douglas Adams/Monty Python Channel" Riley (MuseKJ@aol.com) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904081417.KAA60488@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Maki, Michael G." Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: MTV (or: The Internet Killed the Video Star) Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:18:41 -0500 > I know it's been said, but the sad thing is that now MTV plays almost > no > role. > > Why should that be sad? Are we supposed to mourn the medium that created the quick-cut? The king is dead...long live the king. I don't think MTV was ever as avant garde as everyone seems to want to think it was. Yes, there were a lot of youth culture created there. And, yes, there were a bunch of acts who never would have become famous if it weren't for their interesting/amusing/controversial videos. But it was always a television executive vision of what youth culture was like. When all is said and done, (current campaign included) "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred still got more play than "Birdhouse..." Does that mean it's a better song? Erm...no. Besides, I happen to *like* Road Rules and The Real World. mm ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:02:30 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Digests since 17-1 Has anyone rec'd any digests since 17-1? Richard ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:06:01 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: Other Bands Is anyone on the list into Los Van Van? They are an excellent Cuban band. Fascinated to find out if anyone likes them or has even heard of them. Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <370CC33D.F2B00426@sevenlands.com> Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:54:53 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (or: The Internet Killed the Video Star) "Maki, Michael G." wrote: > > > I know it's been said, but the sad thing is that now MTV plays almost > > no > > role. > > > > > Why should that be sad? Are we supposed to mourn the medium that > created the quick-cut? The king is dead...long live the king. > > I don't think MTV was ever as avant garde as everyone seems to want to > think it was. Yes, there were a lot of youth culture created there. > And, yes, there were a bunch of acts who never would have become famous > if it weren't for their interesting/amusing/controversial videos. But > it was always a television executive vision of what youth culture was > like. When all is said and done, (current campaign included) "I'm Too > Sexy" by Right Said Fred still got more play than "Birdhouse..." Does > that mean it's a better song? Erm...no. I don't know that it was ever avant-garde...If someone describes the early days that way, I'd beg to differ. What I think it was was...um...fresh? naive? different? Dunno. The video medium was "new" when Mtv started (although performance clips and even some narrative clips had been produced for songs for clubs and TV shows like "Midnight Special", videos were basically an unexplored area). The videos themselves were sometimes experimental, often amateurish, and usually a lot more fun than they are now. Mtv itself didn't so much project "youth culture" as it did music. There were no blocks or shows relating to one specific musical genre, but just videos...one after another. You might see Madness, then David Lee Roth, then Scorpions, then Dexy's Midnight Runners, then Prince, then Motley Crue, then Blondie, and on and on like that for hours and hours...Pretty cool. To see true avant-garde, rap, or any kind of underground stuff, you had to go to USA's Night Flight. That's where you'd catch Nina Hagen or Grandmaster Flash...T.Rex and Bowie retrospectives...the Residents. And, I really liked the fact that there weren't so many "youth-oriented" shows that have nothing to do with music at all. Mtv showed "Young Ones" early on (which had a musical guest in every episode) and "The Monkees" (about a band--arguably), but I don't remember any other actual *shows* during those first few years. I think it all started with "Remote Control". > Besides, I happen to *like* Road Rules and The Real World. The "Real World" season in London, I watched without embarassment...Because it was in London and because there was a reasonably intelligent, sexy musician guy with a British accent. Other than that, these quasi-cinema verite things are kind of like a car wreck...I know I shouldn't look, but there's some sick compulsion that draws me to it. I try to find something else on just so I don't end up feeling dirty when it's all over. > > mm CN ------------------------------ Message-ID: <370CC38C.1CD3A421@sevenlands.com> Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:56:12 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: MTV (was TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie...) Jason Fickley wrote: > > At 08:32 PM 4/7/99 -0400, MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > >In my own experience, TV/Movies/Music brought my > >cultural icons to me in the 70's, and MTV played a large new role in the > >80's. > > I know it's been said, but the sad thing is that now MTV plays almost no > role. If you're watching MTV, looking for something different that hasn't > already been played 20,000 million times, 120 Min is your only hope, > although it's on obsenely late, as you mentioned. The Real World, Road > Rules, and Daria is all you're likely to see nowadays.... I, too, long for the days when the "M" in Mtv stood for "Music" and not "Moronic". My family got Mtv in '80 or '81 (very shortly after the network started). I was 12 or 13 years old and Mtv was instrumental in getting me into certain bands and music from that moment on (till about '87)...Including my intro to TMBG via the "Don't Let's Start" video. Mtv also introduced me to the Young Ones in 1984 or so, for which I will be eternally grateful. It's turned into something very different. ah....forget it...I won't rant. CN ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:04:48 EDT Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: Info on Doug Adams For Nick and anyone else on here who might be interested: "Salmon Of Doubt" seems to have been already released. This is the info I've retrieved on it: ISBN # : 0-517-57743-7 Price: $23.00 You can just give the ISBN number to the clerk at your local bookstore, and they can order it for you, if it's not in stock. I looked for the title on Amazon, and they don't seem to be offering it. Also, there's a lovely Douglas Adams FAQ floating out there in the worldwide web. Maybe it's in suspended animation, because it hasn't been updated since 21 May '96 :-) Here's the URL for it: http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/douglas-adams-FAQ/faq.html Hope this was of help to you DNA fans on the list. Karen "who is sometimes in suspended animation herself" Riley (MuseKJ@aol.com) ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <1f183289.243e2466@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:25:26 EDT Subject: Fwd: TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] Michael G. Maki wrote: >I don't think MTV was ever as avant garde as everyone seems to want >to >think it was. Yes, there were a lot of youth culture created there. So? Lousy youth culture killed my dog! (Well, someone had to say it.) -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Blood, Sweat, and Tears' Greatest Hits _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 12:02:23 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id MAA64158 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:02:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f61.hotmail.com [207.82.251.195]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id MAA64147 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:02:20 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 75738 invoked by uid 0); 8 Apr 1999 16:03:09 -0000 Message-ID: <19990408160309.75737.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 144.80.104.94 by wy1lg.hotmail.com with HTTP; Thu, 08 Apr 1999 09:03:08 PDT X-Originating-IP: [144.80.104.94] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: Info on Doug Adams Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 09:03:08 PDT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Karen Riley wrote: > "Salmon Of Doubt" seems to have been already released. This is >the info >I've retrieved on it: > > ISBN # : 0-517-57743-7 > Price: $23.00 > > You can just give the ISBN number to the clerk at your local >bookstore, and they can order it for you, if it's not in stock. I >looked for >the title on Amazon, and they don't seem to be offering it. There's no mention of it at douglasadams.com, either. Where did you get the information from? It seems a bit suspicious to me. Has anyone actually seen a copy of the book? -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 12:57:58 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id MAA66174 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:57:58 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f224.hotmail.com [207.82.251.115]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id MAA66163 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:57:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from morning_pilaf@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 90027 invoked by uid 0); 8 Apr 1999 16:57:26 -0000 Message-ID: <19990408165726.90026.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 208.252.114.62 by wy1lg.hotmail.com with HTTP; Thu, 08 Apr 1999 09:57:25 PDT X-Originating-IP: [208.252.114.62] From: "Todd Wetherbee" To: xornom@hotmail.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: Info on Doug Adams Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 09:57:25 PDT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Todd Wetherbee" >Karen Riley wrote: >> "Salmon Of Doubt" seems to have been already released. This is >>the info >>I've retrieved on it: >> >> ISBN # : 0-517-57743-7 >> Price: $23.00 >> >> You can just give the ISBN number to the clerk at your local >>bookstore, and they can order it for you, if it's not in stock. I >>looked for >>the title on Amazon, and they don't seem to be offering it. > >There's no mention of it at douglasadams.com, either. Where did you >get the information from? It seems a bit suspicious to me. Has >anyone actually seen a copy of the book? It doesn't exist in published form. DNA started it as a Dirk Gently novel way back in 1995, decided it was better suited as a HHGG novel, then promptly put it on the back burner while he worked on other stuff (HHGG movie, Starship Titanic, etc.) I found this on, what else, an FAQ file! I don't recall the URL though. Todd _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 13:10:02 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id NAA66707 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:10:02 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id NAA66659 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:08:59 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from GATEWAY by ussenterprise.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 12:10:56 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <370CE320.99D5EFCC@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit References: <1f183289.243e2466@aol.com> Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie... Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bob Scott MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > I see that many fans seem to believe that the fifth > book "Mostly Harmless" was anything but that. They say the quality might be > suffering because perhaps the author has grown weary of writing books around > the "Hiker's Guide" characters. I really can't understand why so many people (I've only heard from a few rogue cheddars) don't find the currently-final book in the trilogy 'bad'. I found it highly entertaining when I read it 2 years or so ago, and really was a little disappointed with the turn from some of the characters, but was impressed with the transition made. It had a new feel to it, but at the same time, it had that DA sense about it. My hovercraft was full of eels, to say the least! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Tornado" Scott From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 13:15:39 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id NAA66986 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:15:39 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mercury.cc.oberlin.edu (mercury.cc.oberlin.edu [132.162.1.220]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id NAA66977 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:15:37 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from elias.sardonis@oberlin.edu) Received: from [132.162.248.21] (DHCP5660.resnet.oberlin.edu) by oberlin.edu (PMDF V5.1-12 #29794) with ESMTP id <0F9V007MFRXZTF@oberlin.edu> for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:15:35 -0400 (EDT) Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 13:12:43 -0400 From: ELIAS Subject: NON-TMBG: "long dark TMBG-time of the soul"? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-id: <0F9V007MGRXZTF@oberlin.edu> MIME-version: 1.0 X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express for Macintosh - 4.01 (295) Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ELIAS >For Nick and anyone else on here who might be interested: > > "Salmon Of Doubt" seems to have been already released. This is the info >I've retrieved on it: > > ISBN # : 0-517-57743-7 > Price: $23.00 barnesandnoble.com has this listed as released in january 1999 and no longer available! they also list it as a third in the dirk gently series, and not a 6th HHG... i hadn't heard that, but i think i would almost prefer it to another "guide." (up from holding my breath and pacing in expectation of a new installment of the HHGTTG, to holding my breath, pacing, and drooling with uncontrollable desire for a DG3) either way, i'm on a renewed quest to find it. elias "new to the list and not clever enough for one of those middle names" sardonis emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo "i used to think that the brain was the most amazing part of the human body, but then i thought... look what's telling me this!!" -emo phillips emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 13:51:28 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id NAA68509 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:51:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f194.hotmail.com [207.82.251.83]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id NAA68498 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:51:26 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from morning_pilaf@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 23544 invoked by uid 0); 8 Apr 1999 17:50:25 -0000 Message-ID: <19990408175025.23542.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 208.252.114.62 by wy1lg.hotmail.com with HTTP; Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:50:24 PDT X-Originating-IP: [208.252.114.62] From: "Todd Wetherbee" To: bobscott@tmbg.org, tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:50:24 PDT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Todd Wetherbee" >Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > >> I did not killfile the people because of their opinions. I killfiled >> them (or said I would :) because I was sick of having people >> misinterpret me and argue against things that I didn't say. > >Were those messages going to your inbox and the list? If so, I apologize, as I >didn't realize that Netscape Messenger sent to both when I left-clicked reply. >When something is so drawn out in the future, I'll be sure to check that it's >being sent 1 place or the other. I'm afraid you won't have that opportunity, for I have sentenced you to DEATH BY BUTTPOPO!!! Your indiscretions were to great to be ignored. I'm really sorry about this. I hate to do it really. Normally I'm not nearly so vindictive, but today I'm under the influence of a higher power. Now, I'm sure you all know what I'm about to say, but allow me to explain myself anyway for the sake of my own sanity. Earlier this morning, I was notating the email address of the elusive dread pirate Raisin Box, whose activities I have been monitoring from afar for many years now. I took the sticky note and placed it, as I always do, on my temple. Immediately I felt awkward and shy. In my confusion I rose and tripped over a phone book and passed out. When I awoke, I was no longer just an average guy. I was an average guy with a bump on one side of my head and a sticky note on the other. But within the glue of that sticky note was contained a three dimensional construct of a supreme being (which is, of course, a being with pepperoni, sausage, ham, green pepper, onion and black olive). That being had become a symbiote within the synapses of my brain, using my defenseless body as a vehicle to perform tasks such as giving people allergies, cheating at Backgammon, and sentencing people to death. As Sticky Note Man, I have become a worthy nemesis for, um, well...somebody. Actually, I don't have a nemesis yet. But I'm taking applications if anyone's interested. With all my love, Sticky Note Man > >bobscott@tmbg.org >AKA Bob "Lemon curry?" Scott > > > _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 14:00:03 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id OAA68898 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:00:03 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f220.hotmail.com [207.82.251.111]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id OAA68886 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:00:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from morning_pilaf@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 93144 invoked by uid 0); 8 Apr 1999 17:59:23 -0000 Message-ID: <19990408175923.93143.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 208.252.114.62 by wy1lg.hotmail.com with HTTP; Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:59:22 PDT X-Originating-IP: [208.252.114.62] From: "Todd Wetherbee" To: MuseKJ@aol.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: She Might Be A Newbie... Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:59:22 PDT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Todd Wetherbee" >P.S. Todd Wetherbee, I love your kind of humor. And if/when you reply to that >comment, be kind :-) Karen, my friend, I am always kind to mothers. Except, of course, when I give them allergies. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 15:06:12 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id PAA71498 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:06:12 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from terminus.idirect.com (terminus.idirect.com [207.136.80.70]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id PAA71486 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:06:11 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from alexg@idirect.com) Received: from ns.idirect.com (ts7-55t-2.idirect.com [209.161.246.97]) by terminus.idirect.com (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id PAA07022 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:06:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990408151028.007ab6e0@postoffice.idirect.com> X-Sender: alexg@postoffice.idirect.com X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.6 (32) Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 15:10:28 -0400 To: The Phone Inside The Ribcage From: Alex Gershon Subject: TMBG: Check this out! Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Alex Gershon Hi all I just got an email from Marjorie Galen with the following tidbit of information: >TMBG wrote and recorded a song which will be in the upcoming Austin Powers sequel featuring >Sister Puff (Robin Goldwasser) on vocals. The song is called "Dr. Evil" and we think it will open the >movie. All I can say is yahoo!! Alex From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 15:26:40 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id PAA72475 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:26:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from yucc.yorku.ca (flippy@yucc.yorku.ca [130.63.82.32]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id PAA72466 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:26:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from flippy@yucc.yorku.ca) Received: from localhost (flippy@localhost) by yucc.yorku.ca (8.8.7/8.7.3) with SMTP id PAA11750 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:27:33 -0400 Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:27:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" To: Intro on DA88 Subject: Re: TMBG: Check this out! In-Reply-To: <3.0.6.32.19990408151028.007ab6e0@postoffice.idirect.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "mike@journalx.com" On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Alex Gershon wrote: > Hi all > > I just got an email from Marjorie Galen with the following tidbit of > information: > > >TMBG wrote and recorded a song which will be in the upcoming Austin Powers > sequel featuring >Sister Puff (Robin Goldwasser) on vocals. The song is > called "Dr. Evil" and we think it will open the >movie. > Great news. Interesting to note how this will be the second TMBG song in a short period of time to have the word "Dr." in the title. Perhaps this will usher in a bizarre "theme" period for the band in which they will explore all the possible variations of "Dr." within a song title. MIKe www.journalx.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 15:44:54 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id PAA73261 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:44:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from spgw06.bgsu.edu (mail.bgsu.edu [129.1.2.28]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id PAA73252 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:44:52 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from kless@bgnet.bgsu.edu) Received: from 129.1.206.29 ([129.1.206.29]) by spgw06.bgsu.edu (Lotus SMTP MTA v4.6.3 (733.2 10-16-1998)) with SMTP id 8525674D.006CE955; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:49:39 -0400 Message-ID: <370CC0D9.4064@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 14:44:41 +0000 From: "K.C." X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.04 (Macintosh; I; 68K) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Check this out! References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "K.C." Perhaps they're planning on opening their own pracitce full of "Dr."s, including the demonic Dr. Evil, the drumming Dr. Worm, and the dramatic Dr. Kildare of Mono Puff fame... Or is this too theoretical for y'all? -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 15:46:51 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id PAA73412 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:46:51 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from m2.jersey.juno.com (m2.jersey.juno.com [209.67.34.60]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id PAA73396 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:46:46 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from hotel_detective1@juno.com) Received: (from hotel_detective1@juno.com) by m2.jersey.juno.com (queuemail) id D7P5BK79; Thu, 08 Apr 1999 15:44:50 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:30:30 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Maybe another Futurama TMBG ref? Message-ID: <19990408.154447.11958.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> References: <19990408175025.23542.qmail@hotmail.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-5,12-20 From: e f rae Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: e f rae >>Then could you at least sing me a happy song? One with not too many >>cusswords? >>>Earlier this morning, I was notating the email address of the elusive >>dread pirate Raisin Box, whose activities I have been monitoring from >>afar for many years now. I've been monitored for years?? Cripes, I knew I shouldn't have revealed my true identity... this Hotel Detective alias has kept me from the long arm of the law for some time now. Well, you realize this means you are now my arch-nemesis, Sticky Note Man! Just wait til Polly/Jay and I come to your town - he's not all peace, love and there sure ain't no good happiness stuff when you ruffle his feathers! There won't be singing *any* happy songs - and you'd better believe there'll be many cusswords! I challenge you to a duel, Sticky Note Man! ever-sincere, eriKa, Cap'n Hotel Raisin Detective Box, arrr! "Trio... you mean that doesn't mean 'five'?" - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 16:07:33 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id QAA74269 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:07:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from corp.tivoli.com (corp.tivoli.com [208.230.244.131] (may be forged)) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id QAA74260 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:07:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from opercmm@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu) Received: from mozart.indy.tivoli.com (root@mozart.indy.tivoli.com [146.84.129.8]) by corp.tivoli.com (8.9.0/8.9.0) with ESMTP id PAA07501 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:07:30 -0500 (CDT) Received: from rosevc.rose-hulman.edu (MALONEY.indy.tivoli.com [146.84.134.144]) by mozart.indy.tivoli.com with ESMTP (8.8.6 (PHNE_14041)/8.7.1) id PAA13706 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:05:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <370D0C8E.5B00FE5F@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 15:07:42 -0500 From: Chad Maloney X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.51 [en] (WinNT; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Check this out! References: <370CC0D9.4064@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Chad Maloney "K.C." wrote: > > Perhaps they're planning on opening their own pracitce full of "Dr."s, > including the demonic Dr. Evil, the drumming Dr. Worm, and the dramatic > Dr. Kildare of Mono Puff fame... > Or is this too theoretical for y'all? Not at all. As a matter of fact, if we can stretch it a little bit to Mono Puff, I'd think Dr. Kildare would fit in there really well too. - Chad From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 16:28:26 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id QAA75469 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:28:26 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from Fox.Rollins.Edu (fox.rollins.edu [207.30.174.40]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id QAA75460 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:28:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from dberthelot@Rollins.Edu) Received: from rollins.edu ("port 1050"@[10.104.1.119]) by Fox.Rollins.Edu (PMDF V5.1-10 #16318) with ESMTP id <01J9SPA82BBY002ROD@Fox.Rollins.Edu> for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:27:50 -0500 (EST) Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:27:44 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Check this out! To: Chad Maloney Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-id: <370D1140.DB1FEB1B@rollins.edu> MIME-version: 1.0 X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (Win95; I) Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Accept-Language: en References: <370CC0D9.4064@bgnet.bgsu.edu> <370D0C8E.5B00FE5F@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Destin Berthelot Or they could be working on a concept album of sorts, about a hospital... perhaps even.... an Insect Hospital?! I hope you heard the same musical sting I did when I typed that. Otherwise, it won't have the same effect. Ah, ignore it either way. "K.C." wrote: > > Perhaps they're planning on opening their own pracitce full of "Dr."s, > including the demonic Dr. Evil, the drumming Dr. Worm, and the dramatic > Dr. Kildare of Mono Puff fame... > Or is this too theoretical for y'all? -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 17:03:55 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id RAA76810 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:03:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from x15.boston.juno.com (x15.boston.juno.com [205.231.100.28]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id RAA76797 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:03:49 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from superman75@juno.com) Received: (from superman75@juno.com) by x15.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id D7P9TDYB; Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:03:22 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:00:25 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Check this out! Message-ID: <19990407.170035.13654.1.Superman75@juno.com> References: <370CC0D9.4064@bgnet.bgsu.edu> <370D0C8E.5B00FE5F@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-17 From: Adam Schaaf Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Adam Schaaf hi. >> Perhaps they're planning on opening their own pracitce full of >"Dr."s, >> including the demonic Dr. Evil, the drumming Dr. Worm, and the >dramatic >> Dr. Kildare of Mono Puff fame... >> Or is this too theoretical for y'all? > >Not at all. As a matter of fact, if we can stretch it a little bit to >Mono Puff, I'd think Dr. Kildare would fit in there really well too. but what about "Careless Santa?" your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 17:10:15 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id RAA77187 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:10:15 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from m2.jersey.juno.com (m2.jersey.juno.com [209.67.34.60]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id RAA77178 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:10:14 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from hotel_detective1@juno.com) Received: (from hotel_detective1@juno.com) by m2.jersey.juno.com (queuemail) id D7P95TJ2; Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:09:03 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:09:11 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Check this out! Message-ID: <19990408.170913.8518.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> References: <370CC0D9.4064@bgnet.bgsu.edu> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-4,6-12 From: e f rae Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: e f rae >>Perhaps they're planning on opening their own pracitce full of "Dr."s, >>including the demonic Dr. Evil, the drumming Dr. Worm, and the dramatic >>Dr. Kildare of Mono Puff fame... >>Or is this too theoretical for y'all? Dr. Evil is one of my super-villain cohorts, he's gonna be there when I take on Sticky Note Man! Arrr! I'll run ye through! ever-sincere, Cap'n Raisin Box, who'll be my acting coach? "Trio... you mean that doesn't mean 'five'?" - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 17:31:34 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id RAA78093 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:31:34 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mailsorter-105-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (mailsorter-105-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net [209.240.198.118]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id RAA78084 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:31:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from GhostKrabb@webtv.net) Received: from mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net (mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net [209.240.199.89]) by mailsorter-105-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.gso.08Dec97) with ESMTP id OAA25523; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:31:32 -0700 (PDT) Received: (from production@localhost) by mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/po.gso.24Feb98) id OAA09584; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:31:32 -0700 (PDT) X-WebTV-Signature: 1 ETAsAhQksAKbE1QeY9PpFYRjfW9UEUPEkgIUU4O3xC1drkWGMZkTAKs+POiNo0Y= From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:31:32 -0700 (PDT) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org (They Might Be Giants) Subject: Re: TMBG: Check this out! Message-ID: <17672-370D2034-1492@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> In-Reply-To: "K.C." 's message of Thu, 08 Apr 1999 14:44:41 +0000 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=ISO-8859-1 MIME-Version: 1.0 (WebTV) Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from Quoted-Printable to 8bit by ussenterprise.ufp.org id RAA78085 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Now see, these are the kinda' threads I like to see here. I congratulate whoever started it. Anyway, K.C. wrote: Perhaps they're planning on opening their own pracitce full of "Dr."s, including the demonic Dr. Evil, the drumming Dr. Worm, and the dramatic Dr. Kildare of Mono Puff fame... Or is this too theoretical for y'all? Now I'm writing: And maybe They'll have a guest appearance by Aretha Franklin to sing Dr. Feelgood! Okay, that's a bit of a stretch, but it could happen. Aretha is a cool lady, and I can actually see her doing something like singin' with TMBG. me, Dexburger copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 5:00 & 5:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Apr 8 17:44:26 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id RAA78716 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:44:26 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mailhub.iag.net (mailhub.iag.net [204.27.210.6]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id RAA78706 for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:44:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from greenjello1973@geocities.com) Received: (qmail 27230 invoked from network); 8 Apr 1999 21:44:23 -0000 Received: from pm10-111.wnpk.fl.iag.net (HELO default) (207.30.73.111) by eris.iag.net with SMTP; 8 Apr 1999 21:44:23 -0000 Message-ID: <00a501be8209$4bb62f60$6f491ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" To: , "Tmbg Mailing List" Subject: Re: TMBG: me no get no mailing list Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:44:51 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.2106.4 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Green Jello" At least they aren't getting this Futurama crap > >In a message dated 4/7/99 12:34:45 AM, khurby@juno.com writes: > >>i feel so alone > > >are you not subscribed? > > >>Re: TMBG: me no get no mailing list > >i laser you eye ball. :) > > >sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-35 ******************************