Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-38 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 38 Sunday, 11 April 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: 'Futurama'? More like 'Crapapalooza'! TMBG: Re: 'Futurama'? More like 'Crapapalooza'! Re: TMBG: Re: 'Futurama'? More like 'Crapapalooza'! Re: TMBG: 'Futurama'? More like 'Crapapalooza'! TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? Re: TMBG: Another TMBG-related dream Re: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? TMBG: The Return Of Mike Leffel Re: TMBG: The Return Of Mike Leffel Re: TMBG: The Return Of Mike Leffel Re: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? TMBG: ohio shows Re: TMBG: ohio shows TMBG: Semi-TMBG Re: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? Re: TMBG: Semi-TMBG Re: TMBG: Semi-TMBG Re: TMBG: Semi-TMBG Re: TMBG: Semi-TMBG Re: TMBG: The Des Moines Show Re: TMBG: The Des Moines Show Re: TMBG: ohio shows, etc TMBG: Postcard Re: TMBG: Postcard Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:15:49 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <370EEC92.487592EC@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: 'Futurama'? More like 'Crapapalooza'! > EGAD MAN! YOU ARE BACK! That is a fact. > Hey, you don't have any relatives in Kansas do ya? > that is a belief. I do, friend DBL, but releasing any more information than that while on the list would compromise my agents in the field. While I've got the poop podium here, I'd like to say that I have been waiting patiently for, not only my thumbs, but the ladies.. I mean for the video compilation, and I can't stand it. I was peachier than beans when I heard of it coming out (Tinky Winky! NOOO!) and the release setbacks have only made me grow taller and more handsome. I can wack a man down with my privates! (gunshot) Okay. I'm fine now. Mike "I'm deleting any message with the word 'carrot-cake' in it, so there, you idiots." Leffel --Gene Siskel ain't waiting for no thumbs now, baby. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:21:57 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <370EEDFD.E85A2503@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: 'Futurama'? More like 'Crapapalooza'! > > They laughed... They said that Leffel was the Lindbergh baby! But I > kept persevering! And after months of trying to help Mike acheive the > Net, here he is. Where are my mockers now!? I prefer to go Khaki! > Where have they scuttled > away to? Back to those holes in the plot? > > Wainscotting, Sir? No one here has really mocked me about Leffel, > apart from me, I guess. But Al Franken DID NOT sing! He mimed. > And no, kids, > muselage does NOT taste like sweet honey. You just can't listen to Mike. Stick those scissors in your nose, kids! You'll be able to understand what the puppies are telling you! > > Commercial sign now. I'll gladly pay you thursday for a Hamdinger today.. Mike "Hi-Keeba!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990410012230.0091a540@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:22:30 -0500 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: 'Futurama'? More like 'Crapapalooza'! > I'll gladly pay you thursday for a Hamdinger today.. > And he never paid. Hahaha. Shaughn -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904100700.DAA84104@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 03:01:13 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: 'Futurama'? More like 'Crapapalooza'! At 01:15 AM 4/10/99 -0500, Mike Leffel wrote: >the release setbacks have only made me grow taller and more >handsome. Well, what else do you expect from TMBG? :) I remember a certain newsletter promoting Then: The Earlier Years to be released in January '97... --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <370F4D92.E5A31D61@pdnt.com> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:09:38 -0500 From: Jared Trouth Subject: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? Hi all. I was just looking at the Millikin University web page for more information about Their show on April 22 and found this ad for their show. I thought it was funny so I'm bothing you all with it too :) It Might Be Giants is coming to Millikin University, April 22. http://www.millikin.edu/admiss/index.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <370F729C.4A691606@airmail.net> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:47:40 -0500 From: "Danielle's Evil Twin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Another TMBG-related dream Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Danielle, if you're still here, you can add this to the TMBG Dreams > page. That I am, and that I will. I would also like to plug my site ever so shamelessly. ;) My TMBG dreams page is up at: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/dreams.html I do eventually plan to spiff up the design, but I wanted to go ahead and get the content up there. And feel free to send me any other TMBG dreams that you have! Danielle ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:39:17 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? Message-ID: On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Jared Trouth wrote: > show. I thought it was funny so I'm bothing you all with it too :) > > It Might Be Giants is coming to Millikin > University, April 22. Hee hee... My friend Patrick has free tix to this show, because he's been accepted there and is trying to decide whether to go there or not... I'm trying to talk him into sharing. ;) Kirsten I knew you in another life You were the tears I used to cry Now you're the storm inside the waves When you touch me I float away. - David Garza ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003101be837e$9e5d86c0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: The Return Of Mike Leffel Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 12:19:05 -0600 Ok, so I was just minding my own business, reading postings this morning (Saturday - you know the day)... So I looked, and behold: a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Mike Leffel, and good times followed with him. Revelation 6:something. (I'm going to hell for that, I know.) Anyawy, welcome back, Mike. You've most certainly been missed. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico My Shoutcast channel is at 129.138.34.90:7050. No guarantee it'll be up all the time, but at least it's a start, no? Oh yeah. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550 The first Julie Plug tribute page in history!!! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990410131925.00900370@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:19:25 -0500 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: The Return Of Mike Leffel >Ok, so I was just minding my own business, reading postings this morning >(Saturday - you know the day)... So I looked, and behold: a pale horse. And >his name that sat on him was Mike Leffel, and good times followed with him. >Revelation 6:something. (I'm going to hell for that, I know.) >Anyawy, welcome back, Mike. You've most certainly been missed. > At least you'll be in good company. Shaughn "And I sez to the lord, I can't standz this maaaaan!" Struble -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004a01be837f$95765cc0$c2b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Return Of Mike Leffel Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:25:45 +0100 >>Ok, so I was just minding my own business, reading postings this morning >>(Saturday - you know the day)... So I looked, and behold: a pale horse. >And >his name that sat on him was Mike Leffel, and good times followed with >him. >Revelation 6:something. (I'm going to hell for that, I know.) >>Anyawy, welcome back, Mike. You've most certainly been missed. >> >At least you'll be in good company. Yeah, but on the flip-side of the coin, he'll have to put up with me for the rest of eternity :o) -- Uncle Squid: He's good at Scrabble, He's good at Twister, He's even better at playing with your sister Uncle Squid's new site: www.keme.net/~thelimes/uncle_squid/ Other sites by Uncle Squid: http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/ ||| ICQ: 12605535 ||| Tel: (01206) 502043 ||| Fax: (01206) 514682 ||| ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? Message-ID: Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:07:34 -0500 (Central Daylight Time) i'm surprised to see how many people screw up their name. i can't remember how many administrative officials and such i had calling me asking "who are there may be giants?" seriously. On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:09:38 -0500 Jared Trouth wrote: > Hi all. I was just looking at the Millikin University web page for more > information about Their show on April 22 and found this ad for their > show. I thought it was funny so I'm bothing you all with it too :) > > It Might Be Giants is coming to Millikin > University, April 22. > > http://www.millikin.edu/admiss/index.html * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:12:46 -0400 From: ELIAS Subject: TMBG: ohio shows Message-id: <0F9Z0062CPLJCZ@oberlin.edu> does anyone have any info (ticket prices, how to buy, directions to site, etc) for any of the april ohio shows (17th-bowling green/18th-cincinatti/29th-columbus)? i'd appreciate any and all info-- i just decided that i couldn't let the unbelievable amount of work i have keep me from going to at least one. ELIAS emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo "i used to think that the human brain was the most fascinating part of the body, but then i thought... look what's telling me this!!" -emo phillips emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <370F7F81.7BDE3FCA@osu.edu> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:42:43 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: ohio shows ELIAS wrote: > does anyone have any info (ticket prices, how to buy, directions to site, > etc) for any of the april ohio shows (17th-bowling > green/18th-cincinatti/29th-columbus)? i'd appreciate any and all info-- i > just decided that i couldn't let the unbelievable amount of work i have keep > me from going to at least one. Well, I'm planning on going to the Columbus one, which is only a few minute walk from my dorm. :-) Tickets are $13.50. The concert is at the Newport Music Hall, which is right by Ohio State University, on High St. I'm not sure of the address, but it is in between 12th and 13th Avenues. If you're coming down on 71 South, get off at Hudson St (will say OSU on the sign). Then turn right onto Hudson, and go down until you run into High St. Then turn left onto High and look for signs saying you're at OSU, which will be several blocks down. The Newport will be on your left, a few blocks after you're in OSU territory. I definitely recommend going to the Columbus show! Last year when I saw them they were very good at the Newport, one of the best concerts I've seen by TMBG. I've also seen them at Bogart's in Cincy before, and if you go to Bogart's web page (www.bogarts.com) they'll have very good directions and maps for you. (I'd try my darndest to get to this concert too if the Violent Femmes weren't going to be at the Newport the same night :-). Hope I helped! Diana ------------------------------ From: Anakin1@bigfoot.com Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:20:55 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Semi-TMBG Message-id: <3.0.6.32.19990410152055.007ad620@email.byu.edu> A Non-paid public service announcement I realize I will be ostracized from the list for this, but hey, i know some of you like Shakespeare. Many of you may have seen advertisements for a movie entitled "10 Things I hate about You" It is a remake of Shakespeares "The Taming of the Shrew" This movie is awesome! I loved it. Many of you may have called it a "chick" flick. It is, but it is still hilarious. Take a date, take friends, go by yourself, just see the thing. The movie was funny, the music good (great? perhaps) I bought the soundtrack after I saw the movie. It was great. For those of you who are upset about this (being Non-tmbg) start a list (that people will actually read) that is for Non-Tmbg posts, and posts like this will go there. Anakin This ends the Non-paid public service announcement TMBG content: Some people have reported that TMBG will have a song called "Dr Evil" on the new Austin Powers Soundtrack. This would be so awesome! This would mean the boys were making it into the mainstream consciousness. "But wait, why is this a good thing?" you may be asking. Well, it might be bad if the Giants were to become "just another pop band" but I doubt that would happen. However, this will give them more exposure. Potential fans who otherwise would not have heard of the Giants will be exposed to Their music. It will widen their fan base. Maybe the boys will be able to stay home more and make some more albums (as opposed to touring) if more cash flows in. Although I would be very happy to see them in Southern California soon :--) Maybe the extra money would create a bigger demand for Them, and thus they would be able to go more places because more people would want to see them out in California (and whereever you live and want them to go :--) (/end tmbg content) Anakin ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:43:06 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? Message-ID: <745-370FC5EA-755@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-68811521-406 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: Quoted-Printable Geesh! I can't beleve that. I went straight to the site and complained to the webmaster. me, Dexburger, the enforcer =B8=F8=FE=E9=B8=F8=FE=E9=B8=F8=FE=E9=B8=F8=FE=E9=B8=F8=FE=E9=B8=F8=FE=E9=B8= =F8=FE=E9=B8=F8=FE=E9=B8=F8=FE=E9 Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=3D= reqmain and/or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. mountain, 5:00 & 5:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! (*NOTE- web submissions may be made at anytime before the show starts, but phone-ins must be made during times specified above) --WebTV-Mail-68811521-406 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.99) by postoffice-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net; Sat, 10 Apr 1999 06:10:05 -0700 (PDT) Return-Path: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [209.249.97.242]) by mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.graham.14Aug97) with ESMTP id GAA12816; Sat, 10 Apr 1999 06:10:04 -0700 (PDT) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id JAA62753; Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:09:48 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:09:47 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id JAA62738 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:09:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from tempest.pdnt.net (tempest.pdnt.net [209.144.48.25]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id JAA62729 for ; Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:09:46 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from phish@pdnt.com) Received: from pdnt.com (ppp7.ts2.champaign.pdnt.net [209.223.65.135]) by tempest.pdnt.net (8.9.1a/8.9.1) with ESMTP id IAA03897 for ; Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:09:43 -0500 (CDT) Message-ID: <370F4D92.E5A31D61@pdnt.com> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:09:38 -0500 From: Jared Trouth X-Sender: "Jared Trouth" (Unverified) X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.51 [en]C-gatewaynet (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: The TMBG Mailing List Subject: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: Jared Trouth Hi all. I was just looking at the Millikin University web page for more information about Their show on April 22 and found this ad for their show. I thought it was funny so I'm bothing you all with it too :) It Might Be Giants is coming to Millikin University, April 22. http://www.millikin.edu/admiss/index.html --WebTV-Mail-68811521-406-- ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <4ef51a2f.24412020@aol.com> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 17:44:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Semi-TMBG In a message dated 99-04-10 17:21:37 EDT, Anakin1@bigfoot.com writes: << I realize I will be ostracized from the list for this, but hey, i know some of you like Shakespeare. Many of you may have seen advertisements for a movie entitled "10 Things I hate about You" It is a remake of Shakespeares "The Taming of the Shrew" This movie is awesome! I loved it. Many of you may have called it a "chick" flick. It is, but it is still hilarious. Take a date, take friends, go by yourself, just see the thing. The movie was funny, the music good (great? perhaps) I bought the soundtrack after I saw the movie. It was great. For those of you who are upset about this (being Non-tmbg) start a list (that people will actually read) that is for Non-Tmbg posts, and posts like this will go there. Anakin >> Really? I heard it was a 2 hour (1.5 hour?) long episode of saved by the bell. the new class. ~Bat "It's all right..." Brain ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:22:59 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Semi-TMBG Message-ID: <738-370FCF43-4188@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Anakin wrote: For those of you who are upset about this (being Non-tmbg) start a list (that people will actually read) that is for Non-Tmbg posts, and posts like this will go there. Now I'm writing: Well, actually, there is a list for exactly this type of thing. I created awhile ago and already mentioned it here. But, just incase you forgot, you can subcribe to this great list we all know and love as TMBGofftopic here: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/TMBGofftopic/ And incase you did already know about this list, and you were maybe making a little reference to it when you said "(that people will actually read)," implying that people don't read TMBGofftopic, you couldn't be more wrong. We already have 10 subscribers, which is more than I was expecting (but that's great!) and we're progressing very well as a list. Anyone who wants to is welcome to join. There's no bitterness or flaming or anything. We're all like one big happy family! me, Deburger http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/TMBGofftopic/ copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain and/or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. mountain, 5:00 & 5:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! (*NOTE- web submissions may be made at anytime before the show starts, but phone-ins must be made during times specified above) ------------------------------ From: Anakin1@bigfoot.com Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:50:36 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Semi-TMBG Message-id: <3.0.6.32.19990410165036.007b5160@email.byu.edu> actually, I missed it's creation thanks At 03:22 PM 4/10/99 -0700, Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >Anakin wrote: > For those of you who are upset about this (being Non-tmbg) >start a list (that people will actually read) that is for Non-Tmbg >posts, and posts like this will go there. > >Now I'm writing: > Well, actually, there is a list for exactly this type of thing. >I created awhile ago and already mentioned it here. But, just incase you >forgot, you can subcribe to this great list we all know and love as >TMBGofftopic here: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/TMBGofftopic/ >And incase you did already know about this list, and you were maybe >making a little reference to it when you said "(that people will >actually read)," implying that people don't read TMBGofftopic, you >couldn't be more wrong. We already have 10 subscribers, which is more >than I was expecting (but that's great!) and we're progressing very well >as a list. Anyone who wants to is welcome to join. There's no bitterness >or flaming or anything. We're all like one big happy family! > me, > Deburger >http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/TMBGofftopic/ > >copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope >Go here: >http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=r eqmain > and/or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request >They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th >between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. mountain, 5:00 & 5:30 >p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on >MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! (*NOTE- web >submissions may be made at anytime before the show starts, but phone-ins >must be made during times specified above) > > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:04:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Semi-TMBG Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Apr-99 TMBG: Semi-TMBG by Anakin1@bigfoot.com > Some people have reported that TMBG will have a song called "Dr Evil" on > the new Austin Powers Soundtrack. This would be so awesome! This would > mean the boys were making it into the mainstream consciousness. "But wait, > why is this a good thing?" you may be asking. Well, it might be bad if the > Giants were to become "just another pop band" but I doubt that would > happen. However, this will give them more exposure. Potential fans who > otherwise would not have heard of the Giants will be exposed to Their > music. It will widen their fan base. Maybe the boys will be able to stay quite possibly. but there's also the other side to it - they wouldn't become "just another pop band," certainly, because they'll probably always just do their thing, whether it happens to be popular or not. The trouble lies in the fact that a hit song, or a song in a movie, usually doesn't generate fans. It sells records, but those extra records it sells quite often aren't listened to more than once or twice. The same thing happened with Tiny Toons... Flood went gold, and is close to platinum, but there sure aren't a million TMBG fans out there. (only about 300,000 people bought Apollo 18, and I seem to recall John Henry selling even fewer) Of course, if this song is the kind of song that will attract the kind of people who would like more of TMBG's stuff, then it's a good thing, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for thousands of people to become fans... who knows? (I'd actually like to see the stats on this for other bands that have had songs in movies - see if it affected album sales long term or just short term) (actually, it's a good thing either way - we all get to see a movie with a TMBG song in it. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: Gurgi1299@aol.com Message-ID: <3789a83c.244135fc@aol.com> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:17:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Des Moines Show In a message dated 4/8/99 6:01:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, prallena@martin.luther.edu writes: << I'd love to see the show, never seen one yet. :) >> So..I'm not the only unfortunate soul not to have seen a TMBG concert! Well, actually I saw my first on in March at Kutztown (and two days after I joined this list). I can't wait until they come around here again!!! Speaking of TMBG concerts....does anybody know the chances of them playing at Hershey Park? It's really close to where I live, and probably the only other place besides the University where I would feel brave enough to drive to in order to see a concert... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990410204519.00a0a920@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:45:19 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: The Des Moines Show At 07:17 PM 4/10/99 EDT, you wrote: >In a message dated 4/8/99 6:01:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >prallena@martin.luther.edu writes: > ><< I'd love to see the show, never seen one yet. :) >> > >So..I'm not the only unfortunate soul not to have seen a TMBG concert! Well, >actually I saw my first on in March at Kutztown (and two days after I joined >this list). I can't wait until they come around here again!!! > >Speaking of TMBG concerts....does anybody know the chances of them playing at >Hershey Park? It's really close to where I live, and probably the only other >place besides the University where I would feel brave enough to drive to in >order to see a concert... I kinda feel bad for someone who had to see that show at as their first TMBG concert. I mean, it was good, but the crowd was, um, poor (John F. was supposedly spat at and some frat guys pissed on the floor not too far from the stage, icky.) and the set was short. Of course, I'm glad I drove the 150 miles each way and skipped school the next day anyway. There's always a chance that TMBG will play anywhere, but they're not gonna play Hershey Arena or anything. (My school's basketball team played there, and beat up on this team from Erie for the QuadA State Championship! Woooo WAHS!) If there's somewhere in the area that's more of a club, that's a lot more likely. I'm highly happy that they're playing Lock Haven, but that's a bit of a drive from your area. Oh yah, Fountains of Wayne's new album, Utopia Parkway, is a worthy, if more mellow sucessor to their first album. Mmmmm. Dylan "Mike's back! I can rest in peace" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dflipse@csrlink.net http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004601be83d1$4b8714e0$dc8f0804@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: ohio shows, etc Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 00:10:50 -0400 ELIAS wrote: >does anyone have any info (ticket prices, how to buy, directions to site, >etc) for any of the april ohio shows (17th-bowling >green/18th-cincinatti/29th-columbus)? i'd appreciate any and all info-- i >just decided that i couldn't let the unbelievable amount of work i have keep >me from going to at least one. The number to call for ticket so the BGSU show is: 419/372-7164. Tickets are $20, $17, and $14. It's not a general admission show, so if you want good seats, you may want to call soon! They're on sale 9am-6pm. They will take MC/Visa. If you'd like this information in a handy website format, go to events.bgsu.edu Now let me take this time to shamelessly plug my site, Amy's Fabulous TMBG Mondegreens, available at http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/TMBGreen.html If you have your own mondegreens to submit, you can do so at mondegreen@tmbg.org Handy, eh? Amy :) Come trade with me! http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/boots.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:28:59 -0400 From: kitchen@mailameal.com Subject: TMBG: Postcard Hi Spence Owen, Mail a Meal is a website dedicated to sending Postcards featuring food/drinks to friends in cyberspace! Apparently, Dexter Flansburgh (GhostKrabb@webtv.net) sent you a Dessert Postcard. In order to pick-up your Postcard, point your web browser to: http://www.mailameal.com/ and enter the code given below to receive your Postcard, Postcard code 10-539tmbglist Best regards Mail a Meal Kitchen Staff Your Postcard will be available for 10 days from the date of this E-mail - postcards are deleted from our site after 10 days ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 22:41:16 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Postcard Message-ID: <735-371035FC-7929@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Geez! Spence, I'm sorry. I messed up this time. Not only is it a day late (unless you live in the Pacific time zone) now the code isn't working to pick up your birthday greeting. So I'd like to wish very Happy Birthday to Mr. Spencer Owen, who just turned 15? I'm horrible at math. Anyway, I hope you have a good one Spence, and once again, I'm sorry. I was just really busy today, and didn't have that much time to do all the things I was supposed to. I hope you're not too terribly disappointed. me, Dexburger P.S.- C'mon guys! Let's hear it for Spence. Try to post a Happy Birthday greeting or something for him. Uh-oh, now I'm probably embarassing him. Sorry once again. copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain and/or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. mountain, 5:00 & 5:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! (*NOTE- web submissions may be made at anytime before the show starts, but phone-ins must be made during times specified above) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-38 ******************************