Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 4 Thursday, 4 March 1999 Today's Topics: Re: Non TMBG: records TMBG: What the @#$&?! Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. (none) TMBG: What's New TMBG: I'm sorry (none) Re: TMBG: Extra Krispy Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! (about as TMBG as it gets, holmes) Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. NON-TMBG: the clever scale Re: TMBG: I'm sorry Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! (about as TMBG as it gets, holmes) NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... TMBG: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... (plus a flashback!) Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... NON-TMBG: cheese Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! TMBG: TMBG! TMBG: SEMI-TMBG Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... TMBG: this is pretty funny Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... TMBG: Ebay ugliness TMBG: Ebay Re: TMBG: Ebay Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 02:14:35 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: Non TMBG: records Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > you know, I think somewhere, the idea of what a b-movie was got totally > corrupted and assumed to be a bad movie or a low budget one... kind of > like the assumption that b-sides (another term that has lost its > original meaning, since no one listens to records anymore) are awful... Now I think that's stretching it just a bit. I know, I know, I'm nitpicking, but some people still listen to vinyl, and some people absolutely love vinyl over CDs. There are basically two different teams of folks who listen to vinyl: --The punk/DIY crowd. After all, what crappy little punk band has never put out a 7" (or at least split a 7" with another band) at some point? I know, plenty of 'em. But it's kind of a punk tradition to press some vinyl at some point. --DJs. More so in the hip-hop community (where any true DJ uses vinyl) than in the dance/techno area, but it's true in both cases. Vinyl lends itself much more easily to the DJ, as turntables allow for more hands-on approaches, and (until lately) have been able to help for pitch bending and whatnot, whereas CDs have not. Mixing ain't easy, but vinyl helps. I, for one, have recently gotten into vinyl. While the Smashing Pumpkins and Alanis may not be releasing 7"s (although it's now become cool again to release your albums as an LP...), there's so much great music that (for the most part) never sees the digital daylight... I'm not trying to start the analog/digital debate that rears its ugly head from time to time, and I hope that doesn't happen. I'm just saying that vinyl exists...and folks do still listen to it, and realize what a b-side is. Overreacting yet again, The Rev np: Jimmy Eat World--Clarity |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36DD1C29.B912105D@american.edu> Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 06:25:30 -0500 From: Nate Beeler Subject: TMBG: What the @#$&?! Dear TMBG Listers, I just recently rejoined the list after a hiatus of half a year (I needed to get settled into college and listserv e-mails would be a little distracting), and I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. The first two digests I have received have been utterly void of anything relating to They Might Be Giants - with the exception of some Mono Puff questions - and has instead been filled with pointless and stupid, space-hogging posts pertaining to B-Movies and other random topics. I'm sure that there exists listservs that focus on B-Movies or even random topics, so please, those of you who are the culprits, subscribe to those instead. I am interested in TMBG, and that is the reason why I signed up for this digest. A concerned subscriber, Nate ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <24088920.36dd34d6@aol.com> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:10:46 EST Subject: Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. In a message dated 99-03-02 23:48:18 EST, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com writes: > Evil Dead > Evil Dead II Hell yeah. You might as well add "Army of Darkness..." and any other film that involved Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi.... ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:15:16 EST Subject: Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. In a message dated 99-03-03 00:02:58 EST, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: > Anything released by Troma, ever Anything released by Roger Corman, ever. The Great Rock and Roll Swindle (AKA The Sex Pistols Movie) Strangers In Paradise (Anyone else seen this? Local parents hire a Nazi to keep their kids from listening to punk... or something... and the "punk" band sounds more like Debbie Gibson.) Any kung-foo movie. (The difference between a Kung-Fu movie and a kung-foo movie is the level of camp and bad dubbing. If the film is set in feudal era ANYWHERE, it's almost certainly kung-foo. If Bruce Lee is in it, it probably isn't. However, this isn't always true, find a copy of "Dragon FIst" with Jackie Chan...) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:16:35 GMT From: "Dr. Worm" Message-ID: Hi All I'm not a marine biologist but I am a theoretical physicist - does that rate a mention on the clever scale? While I'm here Fave John: Sorry, Linnell wins again (I'm female) Fave Fingertips: "I walk along darkened corridors" and "Something grabbed a hold of my hand" Are there any more UK citizens on this list? If so, mail me and tell me where I can get Don't Let's Start from!!!!! Cheers Kate ------------------------------ From: tosde@gmx.de Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:15:53 +0100 (MET) Subject: TMBG: What's New Message-Id: <31238.920470553@www.gmx.net> Hi! I'm from Germany and I couldn't read the list for a few months.... Can you please tell me what's up with TMBG - New CD, Tour, Solo-Projects!!!??? Thank You! ~Thorsten~ --- Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 06:44:04 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: I'm sorry Message-ID: <873-36DD4AB4-25@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Somebody brought it to my attention yesterday that when I reffered to Dude Menes as a "queer" in order to insult him, that it was taken offensivly by this person, because he/she is a bi-sexual. Well, looking back on that, I realized that it was wrong for me to do that. I don't have anything against homo-sexuals, and that was said without even thinking. So I apologize to anyone else who may have been offended by that in advance. Please don't send me any bitter hate mail or anything. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <203421109E76D211B293006097B6F5991AF0EE@CHA-EXCH> From: "Evans, Tim" Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:52:41 -0500 Hi! New to the TMBG list. I am sure people have asked this before, but I am also knew to the whole world of CD-R trading and was wondering two things: 1. Does TMBG allow their shows to be taped? 2. If they do, does anyone have any sights that they would recommend for trading of TMBG live shows? Thanks, I will take my answer off the air. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:10:55 -0500 From: TDK Message-ID: <36DCA83B.BD6557A1@cybercomm.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Extra Krispy You're making it sound like Krabb & Pak are seperete from Double Dong, when in fact the three members of Double Dong are Ghost Krabb, Plen-T Pak and Heaven (french girl). You can see the three of them here: http://members.tripod.com/~teedeekay/0205dong2.jpgI believe from left to right, its: Plen-T Pak, Heaven & Ghost Krabb. -Mike > Since Double Dong was providing the growling/blithering/pistachio sound in > the background, I suppose that does leave Plen-T-Pak to be the one doing > the voiceover. But what about Ghost Krabb? > > bobscott@tmbg.org > AKA Bob "Perpetual Thread" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36DD1023.833514FB@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:34:13 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! Nate Beeler wrote: > Dear TMBG Listers, > I just recently rejoined the list after a hiatus of half a year (I > needed to get settled into college and listserv e-mails would be a > little distracting), and I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. > The first two digests I have received have been utterly void of anything > relating to They Might Be Giants - with the exception of some Mono Puff > questions - and has instead been filled with pointless and stupid, > space-hogging posts pertaining to B-Movies and other random topics. I'm > sure that there exists listservs that focus on B-Movies or even random > topics, so please, those of you who are the culprits, subscribe to those > instead. I am interested in TMBG, and that is the reason why I signed > up for this digest. > > A concerned subscriber, > Nate Perhaps you should give the list a chance of more than a couple days. We've had plenty of good discussion about TMBG lately, and if you want to talk about them, just start a thread, and don't complain about it. As it has been said many times before, TMBG fans can have things in common besides their love of TMBG. I personally enjoy some of the off-topic posts, especially ones dealing with other bands I'm interested in. Diana PS Off-topic posts can seem especially annoying in the digest mode, I know. That's why I don't use it. It's much cooler to recieve 30 messages at a time and look all popular. :-) And, you can look at the subject and just delete the messages you're not interested in. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990303093714.00884c10@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 09:37:14 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! (about as TMBG as it gets, holmes) >PS Off-topic posts can seem especially annoying in the digest mode, I >know. That's why I don't use it. It's much cooler to recieve 30 messages at >a time and look all popular. :-) And, you can look at the subject and >just delete the messages you're not interested in. > But in Digest mode you can just look at the topic and scroll past it. Almost as simple. And aren't we doing just what this guy doesn't want by making these posts? LDB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:15:24 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 EmarZero@aol.com wrote: > Any kung-foo movie. (The difference between a Kung-Fu movie and a kung-foo > movie is the level of camp and bad dubbing. If the film is set in feudal era > ANYWHERE, it's almost certainly kung-foo. If Bruce Lee is in it, it probably > isn't. However, this isn't always true, find a copy of "Dragon FIst" with > Jackie Chan...) just out of curiosity, what is the relationship between kung-foo and chank-foo? --jim kuemmerle, who thinks "snipple" has to be one of the coolest words ever, right up there with "mooky"... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ upcoming Glade shows: 3/16 -- A Cup of Joe; 3/19 -- The Holy Cow*, w/ Matt Matteus; 3/25 -- Ichabob's*, w/ Matt Matteus; 3/29 -- The Zephyr*, w/ Melissa Warner; 4/17 -- Burt's Tiki Lounge* (*a private club for members; you must be 21 or older to attend) upcoming Zivio shows: 3/6 -- International Folkdance Party, 1st Unitarian Church ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:21:50 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: the clever scale Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Dr. Worm wrote: > Hi All > I'm not a marine biologist but I am a theoretical physicist - does > that rate a mention on the clever scale? yes. yes, yes, yes, yes. --jim kuemmerle, who's a biologist, but not marine... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ upcoming Glade shows: 3/16 -- A Cup of Joe; 3/19 -- The Holy Cow*, w/ Matt Matteus; 3/25 -- Ichabob's*, w/ Matt Matteus; 3/29 -- The Zephyr*, w/ Melissa Warner; 4/17 -- Burt's Tiki Lounge* (* a private club for members; you must be 21 or older to attend) upcoming Zivio shows: 3/6 -- International Folkdance Party, 1st Unitarian Church; 4/10 -- Internat'l Folkdance Party ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990303173457.8181.rocketmail@web307.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:34:57 -0800 (PST) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm sorry ---Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > > Somebody brought it to my attention yesterday that when I reffered to > Dude Menes as a "queer" in order to insult him, that it was taken > offensivly by this person, because he/she is a bi-sexual. Well, looking > back on that, I realized that it was wrong for me to do that. I don't > have anything against homo-sexuals, and that was said without even > thinking. So I apologize to anyone else who may have been offended by > that in advance. Please don't send me any bitter hate mail or anything. > me, > Dexburger > Wow! I'm impressed. I saw that first post and had assumed that it was just common slang for you. (I intern at a middle school and I know it's used a lot there). I know a lot of adults wouldn't bother to admit they were wrong and even fewer would post an apology. Once again you have proven that you are more mature than your age would imply. == |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 12:47:42 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DD83CE.159C167@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! (about as TMBG as it gets, holmes) The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > But in Digest mode you can just look at the topic and scroll past it. > Almost as simple. And aren't we doing just what this guy doesn't want by > making these posts? Actually, wasn't he doing exactly what he decries by posting a complaint about the off-topicity of the list? This sort of message does seem to pop up every time anyone posts something even slightly off topic, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon unless people start to actually realize that they can easily just read what interests them! Why make the list a place where the only posts are "What album is on" and "TMBG concert at ". It would be pertaining to TMBG, but to stray from the subject at hand would be considered blasphemy, aparently. It's a TMBG list. Like any list or newsgroup, things are gonna be off topic, and complaining about them is only gonna take up more space that no one cares to read. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "I'm telling you for the last time!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:59:55 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Message-ID: i have two words for you: don't let's start. --jim kuemmerle, who has seen this debate damn near ruin the list too many damn times... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990303144502.0087b220@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 14:45:02 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... At 12:59 PM 3/3/99 -0700, you wrote: > >i have two words for you: > >don't let's start. > >--jim kuemmerle, who has seen this debate damn near ruin the list too many >damn times... > But Jimmy, the real question is "Are you a dancer?" And how are we supposed to conrol their minds without repitition? LDB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4qrOWHm00UwC0u8iw0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:24:35 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Re: Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 3-Mar-99 by "Evans, Tim"@mai-chaimso > Hi! New to the TMBG list. I am sure people have asked this before, but I am > also knew to the whole world of CD-R trading and was wondering two things: > 1. Does TMBG allow their shows to be taped? > 2. If they do, does anyone have any sights that they would recommend > for trading of TMBG live shows? they don't not allow their shows to be taped. they basically have rationalized that since they used "bootleg" recordings for the Planet of the Apes tracks on Severe Tire Damage, that they couldn't exactly come out against taping, but that you should use your judgement. I believe Elektra had a serious stick up their collective ass, though, and wouldn't allow it. But that's a big record company, so go figure. The recording industry just doesn't get it. about trading... um, there are lots of sites out there. if you have stuff to trade, any site will work; if you don't, then stay away from the people who do 2 for 1 blank trades because they're evil. (actually, stay away from them anyway) in either case, visit my page: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/tapes.html or http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/setlists.html if you have a fast connection Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:02:59 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... (plus a flashback!) Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > But Jimmy, the real question is "Are you a dancer?" elldeebee, let me jump in the wayback machine, set for december 9th, 1997: "Gentle" Ben wrote: >> Then, Ryan Staib burst in and announced that his Broadway production of >> "Bertie, The Littlest Spanish Inquisitor" was going ahead as planned, >> backed by the Disney Corporation. As lead choreographer, HappyFroot >> held open auditions, with Jim Kummerle, Dr. Worm, and Adam Tyner making >> the chorus line. However, TDK did NOT get the lead role as expected, >> losing out to a triumphant Penn Jillette. (to which i replied:) > of course, nobody particularly liked my suggestion of using bulgarian > dance steps in the big number "why, oh why, must i use the > thumbscrews?"... > > --jim kuemmerle, ever the lesnoto-ing fool. actually, i think my favorite dance is now the pravo, rather than the lesnoto, but the lesnoto remains my favorite rhythm. hard to beat those 7/8 meters... :) > And how are we supposed to conrol their minds without repitition? and how are we supposed to mention Mike Leffel with such a lead-in? and how are we supposed to control their minds without repetition? --jim kuemmerle, ever the pravo-ing fool... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ upcoming Glade shows: 3/16 -- A Cup of Joe; 3/19 -- The Holy Cow*, w/ Matt Matteus; 3/25 -- Ichabob's*, w/ Matt Matteus; 3/29 -- The Zephyr*, w/ Melissa Warner; 4/17 -- Burt's Tiki Lounge* (*a private club for members; you must be 21 or older to attend) upcoming Zivio shows: 3/6 -- International Folkdance Party, 1st Unitarian Church ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:06:59 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Message-ID: <19990303.152015.12782.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >--jim kuemmerle, who has seen this debate damn near ruin the list too >many >damn times... well...well... i think i'm gonna have to start hating you for replying to that message i mean come on, all you're doing is adding to the off-topic posts *EVERYONE* on the list hates. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html end sarcasm here... honest i don't hate jim in the slightest (what would the list be w/o him?) :D ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990303162645.00886530@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 16:26:45 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... >well...well... i think i'm gonna have to start hating you for replying to >that message i mean come on, all you're doing is adding to the off-topic >posts *EVERYONE* on the list hates. > YOU TOO JORDAN, I HATE YOU MORE THAN I HATE JIMMY! And then I ate some cheese. LDB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:16:00 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: cheese Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > YOU TOO JORDAN, I HATE YOU MORE THAN I HATE JIMMY! > > And then I ate some cheese. feta? gorgonzola? edelpilzka:se? velveeta? --jim kuemmerle, venezuelan beaver cheese? j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ may off-topic posts live forever! next show: english country dancing w/ music by Loose Shoes, st. paul's episcopal church, corner of 3rd S and 9th E, SLC... ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199903040005.TAA22411@pop.snet.net> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:59:29 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... > > well...well... i think i'm gonna have to start hating you for replying to > that message i mean come on, all you're doing is adding to the off-topic > posts *EVERYONE* on the list hates. and in turn, i'm just gonna have to start to hate YOU, because- hey... who wants to sit in hot lava while a little mouse pokes your foot with a spork? jen Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 05:40:55 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! Message-ID: <19990303.054059.6302.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >The first two digests I have received have been utterly void of >anything >relating to They Might Be Giants bud, if you don't like what you're reading, unsubscribe. these are topics that interest the majority of the people on this list, that's why they're there (otherwise they would just float off and dissappear as no one would care to reply to them). basically tmbg isn't doing anything right now, while they do have a couple of "one off" shows scheduled in the near future there isn't much else for us to talk about. if you want tmbg to be the thread, start a thread about tmbg, don't complain if you're not willing to do anything about it. >and has instead been filled with pointless and stupid, >space-hogging posts pertaining to B-Movies and other random topics. if you find the stuff pointless and stupid there's only two things you can do. a) start a thread that you find interesting. b) unsubscribe. notice that there is no "c" category for complain about it. > I am interested in TMBG, and that is the reason why I signed >up for this digest. which is why most of us signed up, but some of us are also interested in what tmbg fans are interested in. try to expand your horizons or something... ya know? try living. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html yeahyeah gloria. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <82310f92.36ddd57c@aol.com> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:36:12 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: What the @#$&?! In a message dated 3/3/99 6:26:37 AM, nb9769a@american.edu writes: >I just recently rejoined the list after a hiatus of half a year (I >needed to get settled into college and listserv e-mails would be a >little distracting), and I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. >The first two digests I have received have been utterly void of anything >relating to They Might Be Giants - yes, you see, with the exception of severe tire damage, which was just basically stuff that wasn't new; tmbg haven't REALLY released anything new since you've been on the list! factory showroom discussion was still probably fresh then. tmbg aren't even really touring now either. so there *isn't* much to talk about. that's kinda.. common sense. and rather than complain about it, not adding any relevant content, why don't you suggest a topic of discussion? sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990304020620.18498.rocketmail@send101.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:06:20 -0800 (PST) From: "XaNdeR" Subject: TMBG: TMBG! Well yes it had to happen... an on topic post! anyway on Apollo-18 in Turn Around they mentioned and I quote "There's a thing there that can be found Turn around Turn around There's a human scull on the ground" and on the cd art of John Henry there is a sull with They on it sorry just a spiferific fact by XaNdER or as the common folk call me Xander -Like a dimond in the ruff are eggrolls to the snacker _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990304021258.7408.rocketmail@send103.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:12:58 -0800 (PST) From: "XaNdeR" Subject: TMBG: SEMI-TMBG I'm sorry for my blantant and unrespective mispelling of skull John ... I mean God help me XaNdeR -Aimlessly humming in the dark _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 20:52:15 EST Subject: Re: Non TMBG: The Best B-Movies of our time. In a message dated 3/3/99 12:16:37 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: >just out of curiosity, what is the relationship between kung-foo and >chank-foo? > >--jim kuemmerle, who thinks "snipple" has to be one of the coolest words >ever, right up there with "mooky"... another chank fan, mm. ;) i happen to like lemonade speedster & javatronic as far as names go, myself.. ;) sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:39:35 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Message-ID: <19990303.193937.17086.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >YOU TOO JORDAN, I HATE YOU MORE THAN I HATE JIMMY! > >And then I ate some cheese. no, that was just my arms, i am afterall 100% californian cheese. which, btw, i must hate you now because you ate my arms... as i am now reduced to typing with my nose (ya ever tried that?) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36DDB3E1.512ED875@osu.edu> Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:12:52 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: TMBG: this is pretty funny > jen > > Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the > word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate > words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a > mystery, and that's why so is mankind. I like how as soon as someone complained about off-topic posts, everybody is posting off topic stuff! I guess that dude that posted that message learned a lesson. Or something. But we still love ya, really. I feel like everbody's shunning this person. And I don't want him to unsubscribe, because all TMBG fans are automatically on my list of coolest people I like the best. And I feel guilty because I was the first person to defend the list against him. Sigh. I also have always liked the strange little things at the bottom of Jen's posts. At least I think it's usually her. Like the one about the astronaut thinking his fellow astronaut is a vampire. And the dolphin one. I wish I could think up weird stuff like that. Diana ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199903040313.WAA14996@pop.snet.net> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:07:49 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... > no, that was just my arms, i am afterall 100% californian cheese. > which, btw, i must hate you now because you ate my arms... as i am now > reduced to typing with my nose (ya ever tried that?) ha. you think THAT'S bad? try typing with your knee because a swarm of killer mosquitos ate off all your fingers and toes. i mean, it's never happened to me or anyone i know, but just THINK about what it would be like... jen Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199903040328.WAA42442@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:29:09 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Ebay ugliness Someone (God I hope not on this list) is selling a cd at ebay consisting of Dial A Song material. Now, I realize that such a thing is hardly a unique occurence but this person has posted what is supposed to be cover art with a track listing and even a UPC scan symbol on the picture of the back cover. Obviously one of two things is happening here; there is an extremely rare promo disc that was officialy released that was amazingly never talked about or seen by anyone on this list (notice tongue firmly in cheek) or someone at ebay is trying to market a burned cd as an official release. Before I send this guy an email chewing him out, I wanted to give everybody else the chance to do the same! I present the culprit: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=73463087 If I am in the wrong here, by all means correct me... --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199903040335.WAA87052@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:36:33 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Ebay For those of you who don't have an ebay account but would like to voice your opinion to this guy, his email is fridayfeature@amouse.net --Jason-- ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <269350da.36de167b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 00:13:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Ebay hmm... the artwork is very simple - it even has a picture of them on the cover, which, if you've listened to a few certain interviews, you'd know that they don't like to do that. and the artwork is painfully simple. which leads me to believe it is unofficial. heck, i could stick on a upc code too. people would probably believe it's legit because of that.. neh, all you'd have to is utilize a copier. though, it appears this friday feature hasn't sold anything before.. hmm.. sarah ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:34:55 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... In a message dated 99-03-03 17:30:05 EST, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << well...well... i think i'm gonna have to start hating you for replying to that message i mean come on, all you're doing is adding to the off-topic posts *EVERYONE* on the list hates. >> if it says "non-tmbg" in the subject line, what's the big deal? skip over those messages if you're on digest, delete them if you're on regular. that's what i do (mostly). jennifer ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-4 *****************************