Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-40 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 40 Tuesday, 13 April 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: MST3K!!!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: MST3K!!!!!!!!! RE: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? TMBG: Non TMBG-Strange weekend on the radio TMBG: Pirate songs... TMBG: they might be in denver... Re: TMBG: The Des Moines Show Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? NON-TMBG: more of a club (was des moines) TMBG: Be Prepared... TMBG: Re: Be Prepared... TMBG: Introductions TMBG: MTV-less Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Re: TMBG: Introductions Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Re: TMBG: Introductions TMBG: It's evil! Don't touch it! TMBG: I'm Sick Re: TMBG: I'm Sick TMBG: MP3 album TMBG: TMBG in The Matrix? Re: TMBG: in The Matrix? Re: TMBG: in The Matrix? TMBG: Lack of Giants making our nation's high schoolers ignorant? Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? TMBG: New Older? Re: TMBG: I'm Sick TMBG: Re: It's evil! Don't touch it! TMBG: LTW Track guessing contest! Re: TMBG: New Older? Re: TMBG: New Older? Re: TMBG: New Older? TMBG: Re: It's evil! Don't touch it! Re: TMBG: New Older? Re: TMBG: LTW Track guessing contest! TMBG: Older and a Funny(?) Site Re: TMBG: Lack of Giants making our nation's high schoolers Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <004201be84bb$53e4b1c0$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: MST3K!!!!!!!!! Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 02:06:11 -0600 Who watched the new episode of MST3K tonight? If you didn't, then you missed a kick ass event! Joel showed up! And so did Frank! Gah, it was just great to see them both on there. As quickly as they showed up, though, they left... *sigh* Ah well. I guess it's for the best, or something. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico. Only current candidate for the position of Vagueness Judge to the TMBG list. My Shoutcast channel is at 129.138.34.90:7050. No guarantee it'll be up all the time, but at least it's a start, no? Oh yeah. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550 The first Julie Plug tribute page in history!!! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:15:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: MST3K!!!!!!!!! In a message dated 4/12/99 3:14:17 AM, refund@nmt.edu writes: >Who watched the new episode of MST3K tonight? If you didn't, then you >missed a kick ass event! Joel showed up! And so did Frank! Gah, it was >just great to see them both on there. As quickly as they showed up, though, >they left... *sigh* Ah well. I guess it's for the best, or something. yeah!! :D I was waiting to get a chance to mention it. thanks, nick. ;) not john-stamosing, sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904121319.JAA51988@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Maki, Michael G." Subject: RE: TMBG: It Might Be Giants!???? Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:20:29 -0500 > i'm surprised to see how many people screw up their name. > i can't remember how many administrative officials and such > i had calling me asking "who are there may be giants?" > seriously. > "They Might Be Giants" is a really easy name to get people who aren't familiar with them confused. It's not in the family of two-word names, plus it sounds like it might be a piece of theater or something (which, if you've been to a show, you know to be true also...but I digress.) If you that *that* confuses the hell out of people, you should tell people that you're going to a Moxy Fruvous or Arrogant Worms show. People generally have *no* idea what to make of that. ;-) mm > ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:37:18 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Non TMBG-Strange weekend on the radio Arrived home late on Friday turned on the radio for the news just before 8pm and GLR (local radio station in London) were playing Dr Worm - first time I have ever heard it on the radio. On Saturday I was channel hopping (awful habit and drives the family mad) and Radio 1 (or OneFM or whatever it calls itself these days) was playing Birdhouse. And to cap it all on Sunday night Bob Mills on GLR had someone phone in for some Moxy Fruvous (who he claimed never to have heard of) so she asked for some Giants and he played Racist Friend. Like I say, a strange weekend on the radio in the UK. Richard ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904121334.JAA52691@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Maki, Michael G." Subject: TMBG: Pirate songs... Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:35:09 -0500 > After such mention of pirates, I must sing: > > "We are the pirates of Bam Ba Asi, > We do thousands of dangerous deeds, > Ah, ah, ahhhh, ah, ah ahhhhhh!" > > Me, too, Iguana! "It's a heave-ho, high-ho, comin' down the plain, Stealin' wheat and barley and all the other grains. And it's a ho-hey, high-hey, farmers bar your doors, When you see the Jolly Roger on Regina's mighty shores." 20 princess points to the first person to identify that song, and who band who sings it. mm ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:11:48 -0600 Subject: TMBG: they might be in denver... Message-ID: <19990412.081340.17094.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey hEY kids... i realized i forgot to tell all of you this... the show at the lodo music fest this July is also headlining the violent femmes :D yay! more reason for each and every one of you to skip it on down to denver! :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Countdown to They: 96 Days! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Gurgi1299@aol.com Message-ID: <92d85ba2.24439d48@aol.com> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:02:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Des Moines Show In a message dated 4/10/99 8:43:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dflipse@csrlink.net writes: << John F. was supposedly spat at>> Actually, it was John L. I was standing almost directly in front of John F., and I would never spit at him!!!! <> I missed that one. I saw the guy that was arrested while he was crowd surfing. <> Don't know of any...Maybe somebody else does? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:36:45 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Message-ID: <19990412.153703.9790.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae The Archduke Chocula wrote: >Yes, and with Captain Planet and Cap'n Crunch on their side, they'll >control the environment and breakfast cereals, too! It's an >international pirate conspiracy! They'll rule the world someday, >probably, and I'd like to be the first to welcome our new pirate >overlords. Yes, you shall be spared! If you're willing to don a peg leg and a bandanna, you may be fit as a general for the pirate army. Consider this seriously, my friend, this is a very high position. On the other hand... Bob Scott wrote: >Damn you, Kent Brockman! This will be the last time you'll sell out >mankind to our insect pirate overlords! Awright! Just for that, you have to give sponge baths to all of Mike Leffel's Pokemon that I steal. No, wait... you have just give Mike Leffel the sponge bath. For six hours. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sing me more pirate songs! Dance, little people, DANCE! ever-sincere, Cap'n eriKa, these are not my pants "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:40:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? ... you guys are getting too weird even for -me- to keep up. but it's nice to see you back, leffel. yaaaaaaay. ;) sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:05:41 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37125215.27F48F11@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? e f rae wrote: > Bob Scott wrote: > >Damn you, Kent Brockman! This will be the last time you'll sell out > >mankind to our insect pirate overlords! > > Awright! Just for that, you have to give sponge baths to all of Mike > Leffel's Pokemon that I steal. No, wait... you have just give Mike Leffel > the sponge bath. For six hours. > > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Mike Leffel, bathe? You are a looney! Bob "scalding" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:19:03 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Message-ID: <19990412.161906.11990.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae Bob Scott accused: > You are a looney! I prefer the term "megalomaniac," if you please. ever-sincere, eriKa, I'm sorry, I seem to have burned and destroyed my podium. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:57:03 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: more of a club (was des moines) Message-ID: On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 Gurgi1299@aol.com wrote: > < more likely>> > Don't know of any...Maybe somebody else does? well, there's the DuBonnet, but that's really more of a supper club than a restaurant... --jim kuemmerle, livin' the high life at 17 highbrow street... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:35:20 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Be Prepared... Message-ID: <7008-37126718-120@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Tomorrow's the big day! TMBG will revolutionize MTV. I hope you're all ready and willing to participate. I'll post this some more before the actual voting starts. Oh, as always, the info on how to vote (incase you missed it) is below. Look over it carefully, and don't miss anything. This has to run smoothly in order for it to work. We cand do this people! I can feel it! me, Dexburger copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain and/or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. mountain, 5:00 & 5:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! (*NOTE- web submissions may be made at anytime before the show starts, but phone-ins must be made during times specified above) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:57:03 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37126C2F.F599C15A@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Be Prepared... Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > Tomorrow's the big day! TMBG will revolutionize MTV. I hope you're all > ready and willing to participate. I'll post this some more before the > actual voting starts. Oh, as always, the info on how to vote (incase you > missed it) is below. Look over it carefully, and don't miss anything. > This has to run smoothly in order for it to work. We cand do this > people! I can feel it! > > me, > Dexburger MTV wouldn't even apply the names of the best bands of our generation to drywall, so why would they bother showing something that the majority of people who watch MTV wouldn't like anyway? It's a valiant effort, but one I believe has been destined to fail since its contrivance. This in no way reflects any distaste for your idea, just my distaste for the majority of what MTV shows during normal daytime/primetime/anytime hours. If, in fact, TMBG is associated in some way with Austin Powers 2, I think we'll be seeing at least a bit of interest in the band for a while before and after the movie's release in theatres and on video. And that will be the good kind of interest, not the kind of interest you'd get from MTVers (Where'd my fave Fresh Step video go?). Bob "This is your brain on death... Any questions?" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:05:27 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Introductions Message-ID: <19990412.170532.-261053.3.unforgotten@juno.com> From: Darryl K Rushing Hello everyone, I'm basically new to this mailing list, although I'm not new at all when it comes to TMBG. I've only listened to Them for about 4 years or so. My favorite song by TMBG is Birdhouse in Your Soul, although I'm a big fan of She's an Angel, Pet Name, Unforgotten . . . . Heck, I'm a big fan of any song They have! :-) In addition to TMBG, I'm a fan of Dream Theater. I'm 17 years old and 110% male. :-) I live in Gadsden, Alabama. A total. . . .hicksville. Oh well. I like to read and write poetry, so feel free to send some of yours if you write it too. I'll be willing to send some of mine too. ;-) Well, I don't think I have much to say. . . . Oh yeah! The reason my e-mail address labels me as "unforgotten" is that for a while I thought that after I lost internet access everyone who was a friend of mine online would just forget about me and get on with their life. Well, they talked about nothing but me (I've seen the chat logs), it seems, while I was gone. Not to mention that the TMBG song of the same name is pretty darn good! ;-) Well, I'll shut up for now. ~Darryl Rushing ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "kgreenwell@sa.kevric.com" Subject: TMBG: MTV-less Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:07:49 -0500 Organization: KEVRIC > MTV wouldn't even apply the names of the best bands of our generation to drywall, > so why would they bother showing something that the majority of people who watch MTV > wouldn't like anyway? It's a valiant effort, but one I believe has been destined to > fail since its contrivance. This in no way reflects any distaste for your idea, just > my distaste for the majority of what MTV shows during normal > daytime/primetime/anytime hours. you know i couldn't have said this any better. i don't know how they have the nerve to still call themselves music television...more like MuckTV. bleeehhh. this is a rant that gets me going every time. sheez, it's damn near impossible to wade through all muck to find a decent song. even 120 minutes isn't what it used to be. okay, non-TMBG related, and my first post to boot, but you hit the right button. May you keep your Giantness. Kristi A is for Adult, which is what I'll never be. - Barenaked Ladies, "A" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:10:36 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Message-ID: <19990412.172450.-261053.4.unforgotten@juno.com> From: Darryl K Rushing >Yes, you shall be spared! If you're willing to don a peg leg and a >bandanna, you may be fit as a general for the pirate army. Consider >this seriously, my friend, this is a very high position. I do say, I'd much like a chance like this! I do believe you pirate-type people will be running this place not too far in the future. I give you my full support. ;-) ~Darryl ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:44:45 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Introductions Message-ID: <7008-3712775D-358@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> You being a newbie Darryl, it's manditory that I know ask you for your birth date. Including the year yo were born. I'm Dexter Flansburgh, I'm in chrarge of th tmbg listee birthday celebration comitee (and I'm also the only member). You don't have to participate, but c'mon, everyone loves to get presents. me, Dexburger copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope Go here: http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollName=reqmain and/or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. mountain, 5:00 & 5:30 p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! (*NOTE- web submissions may be made at anytime before the show starts, but phone-ins must be made during times specified above) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:42:07 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <371276BE.EDBCEE6B@thebigdogs.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Darryl K Rushing wrote: > I do say, I'd much like a chance like this! I do believe you pirate-type > people will be running this place not too far in the future. I give you > my full support. ;-) > ~Darryl You got my full support also, you don't see a chance for piracy every day (now dictatorship, that's different.). Hey, pirates are very cool, and I never did like Candice Bergan. So, I'd much like a chance at this too (copy half your words there, Darryl). Yo ho ho and a six of Miller High Life. : ) that groovy chick, Laura **Commonly known pirate fact-Captain Hook (as in Peter Pan) was based on Captain Cook (the explorer who was killed in Hawaii). Of course, I'm not sure if Cook was a pirate, but Hook was so.... That is all for your daily lesson of stuff you probably already knew. : ) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:52:05 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Introductions Message-ID: <19990412.175257.-370225.6.unforgotten@juno.com> From: Darryl K Rushing Well, OK. My birthday is November 22, 1981. :-) ~Darryl On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:44:45 -0700 (PDT) GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) writes: >You being a newbie Darryl, it's manditory that I know ask you for your >birth date. Including the year yo were born. I'm Dexter Flansburgh, >I'm >in chrarge of th tmbg listee birthday celebration comitee (and I'm >also >the only member). You don't have to participate, but c'mon, everyone >loves to get presents. > me, > Dexburger > >copecopecopecopecopecopecopecopecope >Go here: >http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2/playmy/playmy.tin?sPollNam e=reqmain > and/or call, TOLL FREE at 1-800-Dial-MTV to request >They Might Be Giants' video "Don't Let's Start" on Tuesday, April 13th >between 3:00 & 3:30 p.m. pacific, 4:00 & 4:30 p.m. mountain, 5:00 & >5:30 >p.m. central or 6:00 & 6:30 p.m. eastern time so it will be shown on >MTV's "Total Request Live" 'cause They deserve it! (*NOTE- web >submissions may be made at anytime before the show starts, but >phone-ins >must be made during times specified above) > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:53:42 -0500 From: stsu9801 Subject: TMBG: It's evil! Don't touch it! Message-id: <37127975.338CE635@stcloudstate.edu> Hello there. Well, here I am. After 10 years of avid tmbgness, I thought mayhaps I would reach out to the other fans who share the cult-following. Well, here we are. Just give me a solid diet of TMBG and MST3K and I'll survive. Susi PS MuckTV, indeed. I lost my faith in Music Television with the advent of The Real World. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01be8545$e6131340$2da6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: I'm Sick Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:37:50 -0700 Hey all, I mp3'd the song I'm Sick for you all to download from my site: http://hey.to/giants eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <2989cd00.2443ec67@aol.com> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:40:07 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Sick i just tried that link and ummm it didn't work ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904130110.VAA29166@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:11:30 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: MP3 album This info was posted to the newsgroup, thought I'd pass it along. Sorry if someone has beaten me to it, making this old news. Goodnoise announced the name of TMBG's mp3 album will be Long Tall Weekend. More info from Goodnoise: "The album features 15 previously unreleased tracks including classics familiar to Giants fans from their live shows and popular Dial-a-Song Service. This album will not be available in stores and will be available exclusively from GoodNoise in the MP3 format." Also, you can download the version of Older that will be a part of the album for free. The specific link is http://www.goodnoise.com/artist/tmbg/index.html I'm about halfway done downloading it now, but I heard it's a new version. Maybe not. I guess I should wait until I actually hear it to try to judge that statement :) No word on the site about when the rest will be available, but there's an email list you can sign up for for updates. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:21:56 -0700 Subject: TMBG: TMBG in The Matrix? Message-ID: <19990412.182159.-891431.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Hey everyone, I just saw The Matrix last week and yes I thought it was an awesome movie, but that's not why I'm writing this. If you've seen the movie or are planning to see it, I thought something weird happened. Okay, those of you who saw it: you know the part where Keanu Reeves is talking to The Oracle? For those of you who haven't seen it: yep, there's a scene where he talks to a lady named The Oracle. Well I could have sworn that for about 10 seconds I heard the melody of Istanbul being played on violin in the background. It wasn't the normal violin part, just the melody on violin. The main part that I heard was "Istanbul was Constantinople, now it's Istanbul not Constantinople, been a long time gone Constantinople, why did Constantinople get the works? That's nobody's business but the Turks." Mind you no lyrics could be heard. That's about all I heard. I'm being totally serious here, so if you're gonna see it listen for the radio in the background in that scene. Right after that music it goes to some other song being played with a trumpet. I'm not positive but I was surprised when I thought I heard it and turned to my TMBG friend who came with me and told him. He was actually paying attention to the movie though instead of the music in the background =) Also, I think it's somewhere near the beginning of the scene, near the vase incident thing. But once again, I'm not positive. I'm planning to go see the movie again sometime this week so I'll check again, but if anyone finds out, please let me know. Thanks! Garrett <-- Look at how my name matches! =) Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901be854c$8fa1b1e0$4da6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: in The Matrix? Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:25:47 -0700 I've seen the movie a couple of times and I thought the song was "beginning to see the light" I only recognized that because in high school i was in a jazz choir and we sang that song, my friend who was also in the group pointed it out too, but it could of been istanbul as well as beginning to see the light. and anyway if it was istanbul it wasn't the giants that origianally recorded it. eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:33:59 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: in The Matrix? Message-id: <37129F06.7A5AEC4E@rollins.edu> I didn't notice the music... but I DID see that the kids in that scene were watching Night of the Lepus, my #3 favorite bad sci-fi movie of all time (after Plan 9 and Queen of Outer Space). I think I was the only one to laugh at that scene. Guess the other audience members didn't recognize the movie or notice that the kids were watching a flick featuring giant man-eating rabbits lumbering down a highway... > eRiCh wrote: > > I've seen the movie a couple of times and I thought the song was > "beginning to see the light" I only recognized that because in high > school i was in a jazz choir and we sang that song, my friend who was > also in the group pointed it out too, but it could of been istanbul as > well as beginning to see the light. and anyway if it was istanbul it > wasn't the giants that origianally recorded it. eRiCh -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:33:51 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Lack of Giants making our nation's high schoolers ignorant? Message-ID: <19990412.215231.2958.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae So, I got picked for the Oh-So-Selective All County Band from my school - what this is, is the best people from all these bands in my county get together and... well... play. Anyway, I sit down at the baritone sax section, where three other girls are hovering over a YM magazine. I set my folder down on a stand and open it up, where I have taped a picture of John Linnell playing his bari sax - sort of as an inspirational thing for me. The other girls eye this confusedly, asking me who it was. "Why, it's John Linnell," I replied. They didn't know who he was (not that I really expected them to), so I added, "You know, of They Might Be Giants. They're a band." And I got nothing but blank stares in response. They had *never* heard of TMBG! Then I made them walk the plank. Aarrr... ever-sincere, eriKa, Mister I'm-So-Dead-And-You're-Not "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:34:30 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: BIRDHOUSE: Communist Prayer or Hindu Voodoo Curse? Message-ID: <19990412.215231.2958.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae Darryl the unforgettable newbie wrote: >I do say, I'd much like a chance like this! I do believe you pirate-type people will >be running this place not too far in the future. I give you my full support. ;-) Aarrr, good, good. Ye can be the navigator. Yer first job is to get me some up-to-date maps - the only map I have is one of Tolkien's Middle Earth (a Christmas gift from my beloved parrot Jay - but aye, 'tis a pretty map indeed).. like, find me some of Idaho - we're sailin' there first thing in the morning! Then that groovy chick Laura wrote: >You got my full support also, you don't see a chance for piracy every day >(now dictatorship, that's different.). Hey, pirates are very cool, and I >never did like Candice Bergan. So, I'd much like a chance at this too (copy >half your words there, Darryl). Yo ho ho and a six of Miller High Life. : ) Aye lassie, we pirates be rad indeed. Candice Bergan is having a scandalous affair with Jesus, you know, in order to manipulate the phone companies. We must put this to a stop. ever-sincere, eriKa, aarrr, he's a slippery devil "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904130214.WAA111442@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:15:43 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: New Older? The version of Older at Goodnoise is unlike any I've heard. The lyrics, etc. are all the same, but Linnel's vocals are different than the other version I have. Less intense at first, but he starts screaming when it gets to "Time is marching on". Also, the bass drum has more of an echo to it and the tempo in general is noticeably faster. I'm assuming the old mp3 I have is from the FS sessions, is that a safe bet? It's a studio recording, at any rate. Either way, the Goodnoise version is new to me. Was this version was used for dial-a-song or is it new? --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:23:03 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7eu98p$2juf$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Sick wrote in message news:2989cd00.2443ec67@aol.com... > i just tried that link and ummm it didn't work It worked for me, but if the web fowarding isn't working for you, the site is actually located at http://members.xoom.com/ecannon/giants.htm -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:32:52 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7eu9r6$2kde$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: It's evil! Don't touch it! stsu9801 wrote... > Hello there. > > Well, here I am. After 10 years of avid tmbgness, I thought mayhaps I > would reach out to the other fans who share the cult-following. Well, > here we are. Just give me a solid diet of TMBG and MST3K and I'll > survive. ...and Terry Gilliam movies as well, I'm assuming from your subject header. Don't forget to email Dexburger your birthday so you can be on his TMBG-list birthday celebration list at GhostKrabb@webtv.net Is anyone else here a Gilliam fan, or at least like Time Bandits? -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:41:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: LTW Track guessing contest! Message-ID: Hey everybody! I know you are all excited about the upcoming release of Long Tall Weekend. I have decided to have a little contest to see who can guess most accurately the tracks which will appear on the album. Whoever is closest wins a free CD-R from my collection of rare TMBG stuff! Check out the contest at: http://www.tmbg.net/ltw.html -- Jish http://www.tmbg.net EFnet #TMBG ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:17:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New Older? In a message dated 4/12/99 10:15:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jdf179@psu.edu writes: << but Linnel's vocals are different than the other version I have. Less intense at first, but he starts screaming when it gets to "Time is marching on". << That is Flansburgh >>Was this version was used for dial-a-song or is it new? >> Older was never on Dial-a-Song...this is a new version. WOO Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990412225639.00933340@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:57:32 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: New Older? At 10:17 PM 4/12/99, HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > >Older was never on Dial-a-Song...this is a new version. WOO Well, depends on your definition of new. It sounds like the FS outtake, although I haven't heard that in a couple of years, so my memory's a bit rusty. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904130321.XAA207142@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:21:54 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: New Older? At 10:17 PM 4/12/99 -0400, HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: ><< but Linnel's vocals are different than the other > version I have. Less intense at first, but he starts screaming when it gets > to "Time is marching on". << > >That is Flansburgh Really? In the old version I have, it's undoubtedly Linnel singing throughout the whole song, so I assumed it was the same in the new version. It's hard to tell because of the kind of weird voice he's using while screaming, but listening to it again, it does sound more like Flans. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:23:13 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3712B8A0.1F494A5F@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: It's evil! Don't touch it! "Jay G." wrote: > Is anyone else here a Gilliam fan, or at least like Time Bandits? I liked his work on Monty Python, but who couldn't enjoy such strange animations? I also just saw Brazil for the first time the other week, and found it quite entertaining. Also, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen was rather impressive (at least I think he was somehow involved with that film). I do have to see Time Bandits, though. Bob "Mr. Amontillado" Scott ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:00:28 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New Older? In a message dated 4/12/99 10:59:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: << >Older was never on Dial-a-Song...this is a new version. WOO Well, depends on your definition of new. It sounds like the FS outtake, although I haven't heard that in a couple of years, so my memory's a bit rusty. >> It is not the FS outtake. It is very very different. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990413033720.23599.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: LTW Track guessing contest! Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:37:19 PDT Jish Axelrad wrote: >I know you are all excited about the upcoming release of Long Tall >Weekend. I have decided to have a little contest to see who can guess >most >accurately the tracks which will appear on the album. Well, I'm hoping "Spitting Contest" will be on there. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan Mulac "Old jokes never die; they just get more annoying" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: XTC, Drums and Wires _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:59:12 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3712CF1F.9AEA4658@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Older and a Funny(?) Site Just listened to the new version of Older from GoodNoise, and I have to say, I am quite impressed. I love the differences between this one and the FS demo. And here's something some of you might find funny. Take a peek if you've got a second, it's oddly funny, or else it's just odd. Either way, it's worth a minute of your time. http://www.nocturne.org/pokey/archive/ Pokey the Penguin might just touch your heart, or possibly give you some Arctic Circle Candy. Bob "Yeardley Smith was on 'Maximum Overdrive'!!!" Scott ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 01:51:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Lack of Giants making our nation's high schoolers In a message dated 99-04-12 22:00:00 EDT, you write: << "Why, it's John Linnell," I replied. They didn't know who he was (not that I really expected them to), so I added, "You know, of They Might Be Giants. They're a band." And I got nothing but blank stares in response. They had *never* heard of TMBG! >> I know what you mean. I have They Might be Giants written in white out on my backpack, and everyone says "who the heck is They Might be Giants?" I just smile in response. Once my friend asked me what my favorite band was. I said They Might be Giants, and she said "band, not baseball team". I just smiled. There are some good occurences though. For instance a friend asked me "Do you know who sings that song Particle Man? I saw it on Tiny Toons and thought it was kinda funny". I say "James, you couldnt have asked a better person..." Also, a girl behind me in math class saw my backpack and said "oh, you listen to they might be giants?" I said yes, and hoped she was another rare fan! but she said "they made a video for tiny toons". I smiled in response. Sometime i think tiny toons is a curse. the end batbrain ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-40 ******************************