Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-45 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 45 Sunday, 18 April 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: I think I'm living in the TwiLIST Zone Re: TMBG: Direct from Brooklyn TMBG: secret song on Lincoln TMBG: Re: secret song on Lincoln TMBG: Re: Direct from Brooklyn (with LEFFELNONSENSE, 4.0!) TMBG: Re: secret song on Lincoln Re: TMBG: I think I'm living in the TwiLIST Zone TMBG: a phone conversation Re: TMBG: I think I'm living in the TwiLIST Zone Re: TMBG: I think I'm living in the TwiLIST Zone TMBG: Re: ummm.. a new thread? TMBG: I'm the big weiner! Re: TMBG: Re: ummm.. a new thread? Re: TRL-TMBG: DAMMIT!!! TMBG: Re: tator tots and polka dots Re: quite non-TMBG: the one true doctor... Re: quasi-TMBG: rockapella field guide TMBG: Re: secret song on Lincoln Re: NON TMBG: Simpsons reference!!! TMBG: Re: tator tots and polka dots and all the things above. Is there Satan TMBG: vassar show Re: TMBG: vassar show TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Re: vassar show TMBG: Angry Salad TMBG: TDK's interview TMBG: Catching up..... TMBG: Angry Arse Salad Re: TMBG: Re: vassar show Re: non-TMBG: return and reverb Re: TMBG: Instores RE: TRL-TMBG: DAMMIT!!! Re: TMBG: vassar show Re: TMBG: vassar show TMBG: FW: MICROSOFT IRONY (fwd) FW: MICROSOFT IRONY TMBG: oopps! TMBG: Re: oopps! Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Re: TMBG: Remixes Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Re: NON TMBG: Simpsons reference!!! TMBG: I found a hidden track!!! Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Re: TMBG: vassar show Re: TMBG: I found a hidden track!!! Re: TMBG: I found a hidden track!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 21:01:29 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: I think I'm living in the TwiLIST Zone Message-ID: <19990415.210154.9782.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae Mike Leffel said, even though he already confessed he was being cranky: >Is it just me or do all of you people hate the majority of >the songs They Might Be Giants puts on albums? Geez. "The >World's Address", "S-E-X-X-Y", "Guitar o.p. mix" "Guitar e.f.o.p.m." >"Istanbul brownsville WK". All of these recieved less than >glamourous reviews by some of you people lately (In just one >day, amazingly enough). Actually, I like The World's Address, S-E-X-X-Y, The Guitar and Istanbul in their album version - I just don't like the S-E-X-X-Y remix. Having not heard remixes of the others, I can't really pass judgement. Feh. More Mike, who's delightfully nutty: >That astounds me. I think you're all nuts. Sometimes you feel like a... Sometimes you don't! Continuing: >Don't get something up your butt about it. I'll get something up yer butt. ever-sincere, eriKa, someone drive me to Cincinnati on Sunday! I wanna see the Johns! Please! ......aw hell. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01be87a5$2cb0f220$20a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Direct from Brooklyn Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:05:08 -0700 I think the most common on this list in the past couple of months has to be "when is direct from brooklyn coming out?" I marvel at this because it has been asked and answered a ton of different times and ways. I hope I put a stop to this by saying sometime around Arpril 27th it will hit stores whether that means those of us that ordered it from tmbg.com will get it earlier or later, time will tell. but ground zero is april 27th. Okay? eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003d01be87a5$d5531ca0$20a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: secret song on Lincoln Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:09:51 -0700 Any truth to the extra hidden track on lincoln? something about marking the cd? Is it also on 'Then'? eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:15:27 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <371656EF.6A016F53@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: secret song on Lincoln > eRiCh wrote: > > Any truth to the extra hidden track on lincoln? something about > marking the cd? Is it also on 'Then'? eRiCh yes, but i had to make a mark AND put mine in the microwave before it would work. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- I don't want a goldfish, I want a dog! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:11:30 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37168E41.F1528447@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Direct from Brooklyn (with LEFFELNONSENSE, 4.0!) KRS Tyler wrote: > > When in God's name is Direct From Brooklyn comming. Commies!? >Don't give me this > "I don't know??" Crap i know you know now tell me or parish. Whoops! I've just turned into a church! > Some > one's gonna get shot and it ain't gonna be me. > E-Bullets of Pure Love! > "Geez, Chris calm Down" > "You're wetting yourself! Violently! NO!" > Sorry, I just need it now i need to know when? > Pie? Do you need pie? It's still cooling! > "Only time will tell" > Time says "You should've studied! Cheat off of someone else!" > Don't give me that tmbg list bull sh*t give me answers. > Everyone knows Ostrich Dung is far more beneficial than the fertilizer from The TMBG LIST Bull.... ^_^ > "Seek and yee shall find" > "...nothing but ERROR 404, SITE NOT FOUND." > Sorry i was bored but honestly when is it comming out > I don't know! ^_^ > === > Chris Tyler > > Check out my sites: > > http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/12rods > http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/stadium/8282 > http://www.angelfire.com/ny/gamersquad NO!!! Mike "I'm bored too!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:19:43 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3716902F.BDA042BC@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: secret song on Lincoln > eRiCh wrote: > > Any truth to the extra hidden track on lincoln? something about > marking the cd? Is it also on 'Then'? eRiCh You gotta take a blade and slit the radius of the disc (anywhere on the CD) so you can adequately bypass the foil that prevents you from accessing it normally. You will probably damage the cover art of the disc itself through this procedure, but it's well worth it. This practice is not supported by FCC as it may damage your class three laser device if done improperly, so only do it if **ONLY** you're not worried about keeping your cd players warranty valid. (this is also the reason why it's not hidden like that on later produced albums, and shafted altogether) A sharp X-Acto knife does it just fine. Mike "mucilage tastes like sweet honey!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:23:16 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37169104.B126AA86@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: I think I'm living in the TwiLIST Zone > > I'll get something up yer butt. > I'd prefer giving YOU something!! MUHUHAHAH! Mike "that's the problem with people named e f rae" Leffel Mike Leffel Naked Pictures! http://www.ohdearlordno.com/~stopthemadness.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:27:39 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <371659CB.421C3FC2@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: a phone conversation "So, Linnell... What's happenin'?" I was just going to put that there, but then it occured to me to actually start a friggin' thread: how much of the stuff in the early years FAQ is true? The high-school part seems especially made-up, but maybe that's just because it's funny, and truth is funnier than fiction... -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- I don't want a goldfish, I want a dog! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:33:55 -0600 (CST) From: rogers@AC.GRIN.EDU Subject: Re: TMBG: I think I'm living in the TwiLIST Zone Message-id: On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, The Notorious B.I.G. wrote: > > > > Mike Leffel Naked Pictures! > http://www.ohdearlordno.com/~stopthemadness.html > Sir, as owner of the domain odearlordno.com, I insist that you stop this sick joke at once. odearlordno.com is a site where one can download pictures of shaved bears, and you are making a mockery of it. --Jamal "Me like Pudding" Rogers ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:44:31 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <371695FF.2418FBA8@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: I think I'm living in the TwiLIST Zone Mike Leffel wrote: > > rogers@AC.GRIN.EDU wrote: > > > > On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, The Notorious B.I.G. wrote: > > ..."Help me! Help me! I need a new NAME!" > > > > > > > > > > > > > Mike Leffel Naked Pictures! > > > http://www.ohdearlordno.com/~stopthemadness.html > > > > > > > Sir, as owner of the domain odearlordno.com, I insist that you stop this > > sick joke at once. odearlordno.com is a site where one can > > download pictures of shaved bears, and you are making a mockery of it. > > > > It's not my fault.. I was raised by a family that was broken > and dysfunctional, and as a result, we learned to loathe > those who had shaved bears before. I deeply apologize. > > > > --Jamal "Me like Pudding" Rogers > > Mike "My face has no fruit in it! Learn from me, Conan!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:44:37 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37165DC5.CB5A23E9@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: ummm.. a new thread? LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > http://members.aol.com/limezinger (go there, you know you're bored) wow, you have a really nice page. i have no initiative whatsoever to fire up the Gimp and scan in pictures (i dont have a scanner so it'd be a miracle if that happened), and i'm amazed i even update my "what i'm reading" list at all. (go into eric idle voice) wow, my page is so totally shallow, so putridly disgusting, that i do not even deserve to lick your shoes. my index.html file is not even fitting to be called a webpage it is so terminally abhorrent to anyone's morality, so utterly vile in comparison to even the Transmeta web page (http://www.transmeta.com/) that it does not even deserve to take up the few kilobytes of space it does because the magnetic bits could be used to feed starving children who could make better webpages than i did. (voice in background: "he's not coming!") oh, well it's not all it's cracked up to be anyway. yet another montypython reference that might start a thread... -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- I don't want a goldfish, I want a dog! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00bc01be87ba$21a857a0$d78f0804@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: I'm the big weiner! Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:35:08 -0400 ok, so I was at work tonight and one of my co-workers came in and said "Hey Amy, I turned on the BGSU radio station and someone's giving away TMBG tickets." Well, I immediately called, even though I feared it was a joke, and they were trying to sell tickets to the BG show (which we all know is cancelled :( ) Well, I got through and was surprised to find that the DJ was a friend of my brother. I said "Hey Seth, I hear you're giving away TMBG tickets, what's that all about?" He replied, "They're for the Columbus show. Want them?" I'm sure you all know my response, so to make a long story short, (too late, I know) I'm on the guest list for the Columbus show! Woo hoo, yeah for me! *Amy does a happy TMBG dance* So, who' s gonna be at the Cincinnati show that I can meet? Amy :) ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:49:35 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: ummm.. a new thread? Message-ID: <29578-3716B34F-2468@postoffice-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net> The Great Quux wrote: wow, my page is so totally shallow, so putridly disgusting, that i do not even deserve to lick your shoes Now I'm writing: Yes, that may be true, but your page does preach the ways of the Quivering Otter. Don't put yourself down brother, or the Diet Coke of fate will lead you down an unpleasant path. Rev. Dexter Flansburgh of The Church of the Quivering Otter. P.S.- Everybody go to Mike's page and join the church through his link, bring a new breath of air into your miserable lives. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:16:41 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3716C7B9.9AE04D90@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TRL-TMBG: DAMMIT!!! Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > I simply tried to get them on their for the feeling that I actually > accomplished something for these 2 amazing guys who have brought so much > joy into my life through theit music. I felt it was the least I could do > to pay them back by getting 'em a little more exposure (which they > greatly deserve). Well, MTV doesn't really appreciate good music anymore, at least from what I've seen and heard (people's tastes differ, of course). So, in such a world, each fan of a band has to do whatever they can to get their favorite band noticed. This can go from abducting the Lindbergh baby to threatening major political landmarks with string candies. We each show our respect in our own way for TMBG, and I say 'Bully to you!' for the gallant attempt to get DLS on TRL. But as that has failed, perhaps handing out mercury laced bonnets could be the next option? AKA (Got AKA?) Bob "Don't listen to him! He's a madman!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:19:47 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3716C873.283C675C@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tator tots and polka dots jay jay mac gregor wrote: > dear bob scott sir > for about a half of a quarter of a sixth of a second > at the very end of the song with busta rhymes and janet > it sounds monopuff-esque After repeated listenings, I've finally made it out! If you play it backwards at 1/2 speed and whilst standing on your own head for a change, the sound waves, when reflected off of a sheet of aluminum foil appear as the image of John Flansburgh! I was just as amazed as anyone might be, and it was sure strange that I just happened to be sorting through my aluminum foil collection in my anti-grav suit whilst rewinding the video. What luck! AKA Bob "I've remembered that which I once forgotten!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:25:22 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3716C9C2.9FBF6671@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: quite non-TMBG: the one true doctor... Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > > > > > tom baker!?!? > > > > > > > > --jim kuemmerle, probably waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off-base... > > > > > > Ha! But, yes, way off-base. It was John Pertwee! ur...no... > > > > C'mon! Who didn't love Colin (no relation to Tom) Baker. > > ::raises hand:: Well look who's Mr. "I Didn't Like Colin Baker" :P Pardon me, I'm off to play the grahnd piahno! > > That was talent! That was wonder! > > that was *awful*. i'm not much of a peter davison fan either, but i at > least feel sorry for *him* because he had to follow in the footsteps of > tom baker, and he had to pal around with people like tegan and peri. > > bleah. give me romana or sarah jane anyday. I long for the days of Turlo or even Jo Grant... Liz Shaw (I think that's right) wasn't really too bad, but Pertwee had some good sidekicks (Chuck Norris and Jonathan Brandis not included :P) > > That's the guy who apparently can do nothing today but guest star > > on Wishbone because he's so be-hated (the opposite of beloved). > > colin baker was on wishbone? are you serious? Happened to flip by Wishbone one day, stopped, looked, saw... It was Colin Baker in a tavern drinking, and it turned out to be Wishbone. He's succeedin'! Paul McGann, of course, has had a much better career since his stint as Movie Doctor, as he's in a lot of artsy shows, some of which are quite good (IMHO). And Davison was the boarder in Wuthering Heights which aired on Masterpiece Theatre in the last year :) I could go on, but fortunately, I won't... > --jim kuemmerle, who's not. YOU ARE THE DOG STAR!!! AKA Bob "Why did Sylvester McCoy have to die so damn quick?" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:28:53 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3716CA95.3AF6FBC3@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: quasi-TMBG: rockapella field guide Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > > which one is the guy > > that sings with mono puff? > > barry carl -- the really tall guy with the extremely deep voice. Is this the reason that it seems so many people dislike Night Security? I love it, but that's probably just because of the way that it deals so oddly with something so mundane and simple. AKA Bob "Keep forgetting the AKA, since I'm so long-winded with these damn messages anyway. I mean really!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:32:30 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3716CB6E.A2A4C2F2@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: secret song on Lincoln The Great Quux wrote: > > eRiCh wrote: > > > > Any truth to the extra hidden track on lincoln? something about > > marking the cd? Is it also on 'Then'? eRiCh > > yes, but i had to make a mark AND put mine in the microwave before it > would work. It works best if you can pry the cover off of your CD player with the CD in place, and then adjust the laser with a needlenost plyers so that it points directly into the eye so that it brainwashes you into thinking that you heard a new TMBG song, which in fact never has or will exist (wouldn't I be surprised to know!) AKA Bob "I can watch next week's Payne already... But do I really want to?" Scott ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <1f33af6b.24482953@aol.com> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 01:49:07 EDT Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Simpsons reference!!! In a message dated 99-04-14 19:59:03 EDT, Alterian@aol.com writes: << Hey! I just saw another TMBG reference! The Monorail was from the 64 worlds fair! Yeah! >> actually, I believe they both use the '64 worlds fair, because that year the fair was in the u.s. it was also used in the one where bart, milhouse and company use a fake id and a car to take a vacation to the worlds fair. (the guide was dated 1964) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:52:35 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3716D022.E60B868@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: tator tots and polka dots and all the things above. Is there Satan > After repeated listenings, I've finally made it out! If you play it > backwards at 1/2 speed and whilst standing on your own head for a change, > the sound waves, when reflected off of a sheet of aluminum foil appear as > the image of John Flansburgh! "Will you help us, Ben Kanobi??" > I was just as amazed as anyone might be, and > it was sure strange that I just happened to be sorting through my aluminum > foil collection in my anti-grav suit whilst rewinding the video. What > luck! Not your Alunimum Foil collection! The Norwich City Council voted againgst you keeping that!!! GAA! Mike "JigglyPuff!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 02:48:54 -0400 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: vassar show Message-id: <01JA32YWYUVM003I7D@VASSAR.EDU> i saw Them tonight. they played my school. opening band SUCKED. they were called "angry salad" and sounded like third eye blind meets matchbox 20. they were more mainstream than mainstream. yuck. but the johns rocked my world. both really energetic and into the songs. they played a bunch of new stuff, including a really good one about a cyclops. and several times they would say something like "this one will be on our next album" but they didn't say whether it was the children's album or something else. oh, and before the cyclops song, linnell sang an impromptu ditty about someone stealing his eye. "somebody took my eye. it was the only one i had. i only had one eye to begin with. what possible reason would somebody want my eye? we're not leaving here until i find out who took my eye." it was humor. that's all. back to the usual mewlings... b ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:59:18 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: vassar show Message-ID: <2031-3716DFC6-7506@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-723493288-4041 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Yeah! That's Cyclops Rock. I heard it on TDK's sound page just today. I can't wait 'till their next album since they've apparently been saying at shows that it'll be on there. That thing about "Somebody took my eye" is really cool. I love the voice changing thing they do with it. me, Dexburger, who is still yet to see Them live, so thanks God for TDK. --WebTV-Mail-723493288-4041 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.99) by postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net; Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:47:59 -0700 (PDT) Return-Path: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [209.249.97.242]) by mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.graham.14Aug97) with ESMTP id XAA27234; Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:47:59 -0700 (PDT) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id CAA55816; Fri, 16 Apr 1999 02:47:41 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Fri, 16 Apr 1999 02:47:41 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id CAA55801 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 16 Apr 1999 02:47:41 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from vassar.edu (vaxsar.vassar.edu [143.229.1.6]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id CAA55792 for ; Fri, 16 Apr 1999 02:47:39 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from beknowles@vassar.edu) Received: from [143.229.235.60] by VASSAR.EDU (PMDF V5.1-10 #27272) with SMTP id <01JA32YWCBY8003I7D@VASSAR.EDU> for tmbg-digest@tmbg.org; Fri, 16 Apr 1999 02:47:30 EST Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 02:48:54 -0400 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: vassar show To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Message-id: <01JA32YWYUVM003I7D@VASSAR.EDU> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) i saw Them tonight. they played my school. opening band SUCKED. they were called "angry salad" and sounded like third eye blind meets matchbox 20. they were more mainstream than mainstream. yuck. but the johns rocked my world. both really energetic and into the songs. they played a bunch of new stuff, including a really good one about a cyclops. and several times they would say something like "this one will be on our next album" but they didn't say whether it was the children's album or something else. oh, and before the cyclops song, linnell sang an impromptu ditty about someone stealing his eye. "somebody took my eye. it was the only one i had. i only had one eye to begin with. what possible reason would somebody want my eye? we're not leaving here until i find out who took my eye." it was humor. that's all. back to the usual mewlings... b --WebTV-Mail-723493288-4041-- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199904160715.DAA56632@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 02:20:02 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3716E4A1.7A9ABB75@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: vassar show Ben Knowles wrote: > i saw Them tonight. they played my school. opening band SUCKED. they were > called "angry salad" You mean lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers? A salad? Teddy Salad? With the ballet? I'll just shut up now... :P Bob "No, I'd rather call you Mrs. S-C-U-M again..." Scott Not to be confused with Mr. Neutron :) ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:40:27 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Angry Salad Message-ID: <2031-3716E96B-7662@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Hey, for those of you who want to find out just how much Angry Salad sucks, they've got a website at www.angrysalad.com where on the main menu is a pic of them, and they have the look of suck if you ask me. One of the members looks like the guitarist (bass is it?) from the Goo Goo Dolls (who I despise) with that long black hair and extremely grungy lookin'. me, Dexburger, with a side of Angry Salad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901be87dd$781f6c40$0da6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: TDK's interview Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:48:05 -0700 hey TDK, what happened to the interview you were gonna do? still transcribing it? eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <37172221.ABDF56C0@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:42:25 -0400 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: Catching up..... Hi, I received about 10 days worth of digests at once, so I'll just toss in a few little things.... > I've been watching the "TMBG Reference War" with curiosity, as it began > right after I subscribed :-) Anyways, with maybe a teeny bit of trepidation > as I come up to the podium to do my official "Hi there, my name is Karen, and > this is my first time here" intro, I will be brave (at least for now), and > tell you all a bit about myself. I am a 33-year-old NJ housewife, > Ha! I'm still the oldest! > Is anyone on the list into Los Van Van? They are an excellent Cuban > band. Fascinated to find out if anyone likes them or has even heard of > them. > Richard, I would love to hear more about them. Would be willing to trade if you're interested. I've been getting SERIOUSLY into Latin music over the past year or two, including one fantastic artist I heard about here, Tom Ze. Thanks to whoever recommended him! (just wish more of his music was available). > I don't know that it was ever avant-garde...If someone describes the > early days that way, I'd beg to differ. What I think it was > was...um...fresh? naive? different? Dunno. The video medium was "new" > when Mtv started > I'll second this. Not avant-garde, but interesting and AT LEAST it was worth watching IMO. > The "Real World" season in London, I watched without > embarassment...Because it was in London and because there was a > reasonably intelligent, sexy musician guy with a British accent. Other > than that, these quasi-cinema verite things are kind of like a car > wreck...I know I shouldn't look, but there's some sick compulsion that > draws me to it. I try to find something else on just so I don't end up > feeling dirty when it's all over. > Ha! this is great > I, too, long for the days when the "M" in Mtv stood for "Music" and not > "Moronic". My family got Mtv in '80 or '81 (very shortly after the > network started). I was 12 or 13 years old and Mtv was instrumental in > getting me into certain bands and music from that moment on (till about > '87)...I > I was a bit older at the time (well, I guess i'm *still* older), MTV started when I was in high school, but again I concur. It *DID* have something to offer in those days, it was certainly different, possibly innovative. There was a lot of moronic stuff, for sure, I remember many, many videos with nothing in them except scantily clad women, but there was also some cool stuff interspersed. The best thing was, it was mostly music and music news. I wasn't crazy about it even then, but it was way ahead of it's current state. The bad thing about MTV, then and now, is that it contributes to the emphasis on image over musical substance. > I do know that there > is someone on here, who happens to be 53 years old. I won't reveal any > names > Ouch! I've been de-throned as oldest TMBG list member! bert r. np: Massive Attack "Risingson" -- My homepage - now updated with even more boring photos and mindless tedium!: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904161247.IAA02704@owl.INS.CWRU.Edu> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:47:11 -0400 (EDT) From: jlr3@po.CWRU.Edu (Jeff L. Roberts) Subject: TMBG: Angry Arse Salad I saw Angry Salad when they opened for Moxy Fruvous sometime last year. They were partial crap but not total crap. Better than quite a few of the bands that have opened for TMBG (or Fruvous). *shudder* goat boy *shudder* That and I horked a sly glow in the dark sticker of a pissed off looking bowl of salad from them. I'm not saying they were good. I'm just saying you have to look at these things in perspective. Jeff ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:40:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: vassar show Message-ID: Did anyone see TMBG in Westerville, OH, in January? A group called "You Were Spiralling" opened for Them. I really enjoyed it. The lead singer/keyboardist did some nifty things with a Moog synthesizer. I still have to state that my favorite opening band was Lincoln. *sigh* I guess that's just not possible when half of Lincoln is backing up TMBG. Hehe. I can dream, though. Love, Colleen Anne On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > Ben Knowles wrote: > > > i saw Them tonight. they played my school. opening band SUCKED. they were > > called "angry salad" > > You mean lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers? A salad? Teddy Salad? With the ballet? > I'll just shut up now... :P > > Bob "No, I'd rather call you Mrs. S-C-U-M again..." Scott > Not to be confused with Mr. Neutron :) > > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37174CA3.B28EC27D@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:43:47 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: non-TMBG: return and reverb carlyn nugent wrote: > Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > > carlyn nugent wrote: > > > > > > Yes and Yes. Why don't you see it? It's out on video now...Even if > > > you're a poor starving student with no VCR, surely you *know* someone > > > with a VCR. (Watch for the real Dr.'s cameo...) > > > > tom baker!?!? > > > > --jim kuemmerle, probably waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off-base... > > Ha! But, yes, way off-base. It was John Pertwee! ur...no... Bill Hartnell returned from the dead? Chad "My chameleon circuit is broken too" Maloney ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:30:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Instores In a message dated 4/15/99 6:25:47 PM, Jay@TMBG.ORG writes: >Are instore appearences that good? I've never been to one, just the live >shows. >I'd think the atmosphere of instores would be odd, what with people totally >un-aware of the instore walking in, looking at CD's, wondering what that >strange >sound is. Also, are instores that long? they are beautiful. especially if you're sitting 2 feet away from linnell's feet. :) {and videotaping! ;)} and they're usually about a half hour. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904161534.LAA69579@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Maki, Michael G." Subject: RE: TRL-TMBG: DAMMIT!!! Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:36:50 -0500 > I simply tried to get them on their for the feeling that I actually > accomplished something for these 2 amazing guys who have brought so much > joy into my life through theit music. > > Psst...Dex... Chill. That's what BUYING RECORDS is for. mm ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <1a58b1ab.2448b615@aol.com> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:49:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: vassar show In a message dated 4/16/99 1:48:19 AM, beknowles@vassar.edu writes: >i saw Them tonight. they played my school. opening band SUCKED. they were >called "angry salad" and sounded like third eye blind meets matchbox 20. >they were more mainstream than mainstream. yuck. > is that who's actually opening for them on this tour? and in 2 weeks as well? ahhh...no! didn't i hear something about michael shelley again? hmm.. i don't want no sucky mainstream-soundin' band... wow, i miss lincoln. :} they were so great. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <371720A9.15ED@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:36:08 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: vassar show I know that Michael Shelley was sposta open the cancelled BGSU show, but I don't know if he's gonna do them all. And I saw You Were Spiraling in Westerville. They did some okay stuff, and the lead singer was the bomb. And just so you all know, I'm not nearly as grumpy as I was when they first cancelled it. I have since been lifted by the LTW version of Older and TDK's new sounds (they kick ass). -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199904161658.MAA23479@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: FW: MICROSOFT IRONY (fwd) Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:58:46 -0400 (EDT) Forwarded message: ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Andrea Sabaliauskas Subject: FW: MICROSOFT IRONY Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:12:06 -0400 Here's a little hah-hah ... > ---------- > From: Carl Caracia > Sent: Friday, April 16, 1999 9:59 AM > To: 'robb at home'; Amber French; Amy Joiner; Andrea Sabaliauskas; > Carol Moore; Cynthia Neilson; Dan May; Denise Wilbur; Donna Safko; Ian > Lutz; Jackie Piazza; Jamie Slavy; Karen Garner; Karen Lane; Karen > Swisher; Laura Phenicie; Leslie Anthony; Linda Stewart; Lori Yeager; > Mary Dixon; Michelle Preast; Mike Chisarick; Mike Harrison; Misae > Walko; Patty Coby; Patty Orbany; Rena Page; Rhonda Neibert; Shannon > Jordan; Sharon Shalvi; Susan Giokas; Vandy Comer > Subject: MICROSOFT IRONY > > > Bill Gates died in a car accident. He found himself in Purgatory being > sized up by God...> > "Well, Bill, I'm really confused on this call. I'm not sure whether to > send you to Heaven or Hell. After all, you enormously helped society > by > putting a computer in almost every home in the world and yet you > created > that ghastly Windows 95. I'm going to do something I've never> done > before. In your case, I'm going to let you decide where you want to > go!"> > Bill replied, "Well, thanks, God. What's the difference between the> > two?"> > God said, "I'm willing to let you visit both places briefly if it will > help you make a decision.">> "Fine, but where should I go first?"> God > said, "I'm going to leave that up to you."> Bill said, "OK, then, > let's > try Hell first." So Bill went to Hell.> It was a beautiful, clean, > sandy > beach with clear waters. There were thousands of beautiful women > running > around, playing in the water, laughing and frolicking about. The sun > was > shining and the temperature was perfect.> > Bill was very pleased. "This is great!" he told God, "If this is Hell, > I > REALLY want to see Heaven!">> "Fine," said God and off they went.> > Heaven was a high place in the clouds, with angels drifting about > playing harps and singing. It was nice but not as enticing as Hell.> > Bill thought for a quick minute and rendered his decision. "Hmm, I > think > I prefer Hell," he told God.> > "Fine," retorted God, "as you desire." So Bill Gates went to Hell.> > Two > weeks later, God decided to check up on the late billionaire to see > how > he was doing in Hell. When God arrived in Hell, he found Bill shackled > to a wall, screaming amongst the hot flames in a dark cave. He was > being > burned and tortured by demons.> > "How's everything going, Bill?" God asked.> Bill responded, his > voice full of anguish and disappointment, "This is awful, this is not > what I expected. I can't believe this happened. What happened to that > other place with the beaches and the beautiful women playing in the > water?">> God says, "That was the screen saver". > ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199904161659.MAA23586@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: oopps! Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:59:43 -0400 (EDT) Sorry folks, I think I just accidentally went into la-la land and send a joke about bill gates to you, sorry so much! I didn't mean to do it. Ok, back to your regular business, nothing to see here.. -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:30:20 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <371773AB.384BFF82@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: oopps! Matt James wrote: > Sorry folks, I think I just accidentally went into la-la land > and send a joke about bill gates to you, sorry so much! > I didn't mean to do it. > Ok, back to your regular business, nothing to see here.. > -Matt Does this mean we'll have to wait for the release of Windows 2000 to see the release of "Matt's Life Savings"? I sure hope not, because I'm really looking forward to hearing the long awaited TMBG hit "Bill Gates in Purgatory". Bob "Wigglytuff!" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <371777E0.97633E48@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:48:16 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Bob Scott wrote: > Does this mean we'll have to wait for the release of Windows 2000 to see > the release of "Matt's Life Savings"? I sure hope not, because I'm > really looking forward to hearing the long awaited TMBG hit "Bill Gates > in Purgatory". Wasn't that one of the b-sides on the Dinner Bell EP that had Spitting Contest as the hidden track? Chad "If I had two dead mice I'd give you one" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:00:47 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37177ACF.B8A7655@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Chad Maloney wrote: > Bob Scott wrote: > > Does this mean we'll have to wait for the release of Windows 2000 to see > > the release of "Matt's Life Savings"? I sure hope not, because I'm > > really looking forward to hearing the long awaited TMBG hit "Bill Gates > > in Purgatory". > > Wasn't that one of the b-sides on the Dinner Bell EP that had > Spitting Contest as the hidden track? See, this is the kind of misconception of which fame is made of... Everyone here has figured that Spitting Contest is a hit by TMBG, when in fact it is by the highly talented Earl Mankey, former drummer for the Icelandic Honies. More than 4 million dollars in paper money vanished that day... > Chad "If I had two dead mice I'd give you one" Maloney I'll take it! AKA Bob "No, wait, I've already got one!" Scott ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <90eb198c.2448caf1@aol.com> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:18:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Remixes In a message dated 4/15/99 6:49:35 PM, feeny@TMBG.ORG writes: >Maybe it was because I was 8 or 9 at the time (my sister was actually the > >person doing the act of buying, but I still listen to them 24/7- I still > >do!) *how*?! :o i can't listen to the same thing "24/7"... even if it was something i loved, it'd get old and even hell-ish REALLY fast.. i was actually thinking of that when i was listening to my favourite song {which can be found on my page, haha} this morning.. i mean i love it, but i would not want to sit there with it on repeat -- without throwing in other songs inbetween -- y'know? TMBG are great and all, but there are *so* many other bands worth listening to.. i'd consider TMBG currently my 2nd-or-so favourite band, yet i rarely listen to them anymore. it's actually kinda neat when you go months and months without listening to a cd, and then pop it in.. all the songs almost sound new. :) > I could easily listen to that kinda stuff (as is the Worlds addy remix) > >and enjoy it- so maybe it was skeched into my brain and I still enjoy it > >today. hey, no excuses needed. you can like it regardless of how old you were when you heard it, eh. :) >Hey, I have both of Brian Dewan's Hello cds, should I invest in the full > >length album? I know I should- is it availible at record stores? i was strangley unable to find it 'round where i live, but i picked it up at tower when i was visiting my friends in NY last summer, so i'd say it's worth a look anyway. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger - visit now and give me my much needed attention ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <33266647.2448d58f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:03:59 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! In a message dated 4/16/99 2:01:41 PM, opercmm@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu writes: >Wasn't that one of the b-sides on the Dinner Bell EP that had >Spitting Contest as the hidden track? No! ugh! -that- was on the dinner bell EP, but spitting contest was the hidden track on-- hey look over there! sarah:) http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3717A17B.4FDE895C@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:45:47 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Bob Scott wrote: > > Chad Maloney wrote: > > Wasn't that one of the b-sides on the Dinner Bell EP that had > > Spitting Contest as the hidden track? > > See, this is the kind of misconception of which fame is made of... Everyone > here has figured that Spitting Contest is a hit by TMBG, when in fact it is by > the highly talented Earl Mankey, former drummer for the Icelandic Honies. More > than 4 million dollars in paper money vanished that day... Ah, so THAT'S where the phrase "Damn those Icelandic Honies are hot!" came from. I never understood that line in Spitting Contest before, but now, now all is clear. > > Chad "If I had two dead mice I'd give you one" Maloney > > I'll take it! It's in the mail. > AKA Bob "No, wait, I've already got one!" Scott Chad "Now you have two and you could give me one" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:58:47 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <3717A487.230B5566@thebigdogs.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Simpsons reference!!! Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > actually, I believe they both use the '64 worlds fair, because that year the > fair was in the u.s. it was also used in the one where bart, milhouse and > company use a fake id and a car to take a vacation to the worlds fair. (the > guide was dated 1964) Ha, but what about the 1904 St. Louis worlds fair, that was in the u.s to. Uh, oh yeah, i just realized that the 1964 was a lot more recent, um, never mind. that groovy chick, Laura, who's TMBGrelated portion of her cds is: all the albums, 2 singles, Mono Puff "Unsupervised".......Holy Cow, I've got the same collection as Mike Leffel. Hmmmm, wonder what his two singles are....... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <011201be8852$4ce7ad60$69491ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: I found a hidden track!!! Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:44:24 -0400 Just to let you guys know... I've found a super secret hidden track on the ultra rare Norwegian version of "The Guitar EP", you go to the first song and hit pause, fast forward to song 25 and then you flash you naked chest (male or female!!!) at the CD player. You yell "You are my tropical dream, you sexy love machine!! Pinch my nasty behind and show me who's the boss!!!" 6 times and THEN all the songs intended for the "Superfueled Freaksickle" album and the amazingly rare "Oklahoma Flesh Fest" bootleg material start playing. Thought I'd pass on the info, Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990416214132.7484.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Re: oopps! Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:41:32 PDT sarah wrote: >>In a message dated 4/16/99 2:01:41 PM, >>opercmm@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu writes: >> >>Wasn't that one of the b-sides on the Dinner Bell EP that had >>Spitting Contest as the hidden track? > > >No! ugh! -that- was on the dinner bell EP, but spitting contest was >the hidden track on-- hey look over there! "Hey look over there"? Wasn't that one of the missing Fingertips, along with "I fell in the mud," "My nose got stuck in the dishwasher," and "The world is ending now"? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Something grabbed ahold of my hand" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <16APR99.19201195.0059.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:46:43 EDT From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: vassar show >i saw Them tonight. they played my school. opening band SUCKED. they were >called "angry salad" and sounded like third eye blind meets matchbox 20. >they were more mainstream than mainstream. yuck. > While they were quite mainstream, 'tis true, they closed with "99 Luftballoons" with phony English lyrics. I liked that part, because I'm into '80s music (but not all of it). >but the johns rocked my world. both really energetic and into the songs. >they played a bunch of new stuff, including a really good one about a >cyclops. and several times they would say something like "this one will be >on our next album" but they didn't say whether it was the children's album >or something else. > There's no denying their energy level (they were very energetic), but I was disappointed that they didn't play more songs. They only played for an hour or so (a far cry from the usual 2-hour playing time that I've seen them play at). They played several new songs (including "Now You're Getting Older"), and that "Cyclops Rock" was really cool, but I only wish they had more. While new songs are great, I still like the old ones. At least I can sing along with them, and get into them. There were several songs they've played at the three previous shows I've been to that they didn't play this time: "SEXXY," "Exquisite Dead Guy" (no talking-heads-on-sticks this time), "Meet James Ensor," "Turn Around," "Till My Head Falls Off," "Sleeping in the Flowers," and others that I just can't seem to think of at the moment. Other quibbles: the jam session at the end of "Spy" is just getting too long. At least there was some more feeling in it this time (with Flansy singing Kumbaya), but, still, it's kinda boring and goes on too long, taking up valuable song time, or talking to the audience time (which Flansy did more this show than other shows I've been too--and by talking I mean not scolding the crowd for crowd-surfing. Even Linell did some talking.) And I think it's high-time to retire the conga line to "No one Knows My Plan." It was a neat novelty when I first witnessed it back in the summer of '96, but now it's just a pain. More people by far stay out of the conga than do participate in it, and the line always gets out of control. I was shoved around more last night than at any other concert. What's worse is that the conga line almost always evolves into a general mosh pit, and last night was no exception. I was all set to tell you guys about the conga line in the middle of the set, but then I discovered it was actually the end of the set. They played a one or two more songs, but then they left. They came back (quicker than usual) for the standard "Istanbul" encore, but then they only played "Istanbul" and "Cyclops Rock" before they left for good. It was a good show because, hey, it was TMBG, but it was just too short. And the confetti/conga line/jam session after "Spy" things are just becoming too standard. Heck, even the songs they play are. Aside from the new material, I've heard them play all the other songs live before. How about some "Don't Let's Start," or "Kiss Me, Son of God," or "The End of the Tour"? And, again, I'd like to see the conga line retired. When "No One Knows My Plan," I'd just like to relax, sing along, and think pleasant memories of "Cartoon Planet." Not worrying about whether or not I'll wind up being shoved on the floor. Sorry, I just had to get this out. Again, good show, I'd go again, just could have been better. Misty ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <122124ae.24490c20@aol.com> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:56:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: I found a hidden track!!! In a message dated 4/16/99 4:44:37 PM, greenjello1973@geocities.com writes: >Just to let you guys know... I've found a super secret hidden track on >the > >ultra rare Norwegian version of "The Guitar EP", you go to the first song > >and hit pause, fast forward to song 25 and then you flash you naked chest > >(male or female!!!) at the CD player. i think that's just your little plan for some innocent little cd players to "see some chest". you are truly evil. :P >You yell "You are my tropical dream, > >you sexy love machine!! Pinch my nasty behind and show me who's the > >boss!!!" 6 times and THEN sooo... how exactly did you find this out? ;) you'd be an interesting person to live next door to... sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:18:51 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: I found a hidden track!!! Message-ID: On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > >You yell "You are my tropical dream, > > > >you sexy love machine!! Pinch my nasty behind and show me who's the > > > >boss!!!" 6 times and THEN this is all just your evil plan to revive judith light's flagging career, isn't it?? ISN'T IT?? --jim kuemmerle, evilEVIL to the core... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 4/17 -- GLADE at burt's tiki lounge, 753 S 100 E, SLC, 10 pm. $0 4/20 -- GLADE at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm $0 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-45 ******************************