Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-48 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 48 Wednesday, 21 April 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Chicken Livers (Des Moines Show) Re: TMBG: Chicken Livers (Des Moines Show) Re: TMBG: Chicken Livers (Des Moines Show) TMBG: the Vogue review TMBG: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Family Guy Re: TMBG: Family Guy TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-46 TMBG: everybody conga! Re: TMBG: everybody conga! TMBG: Make way for... the OLD guy! Re: NON-TMBG: crowd surfing Re: TMBG: off topic: Gilliam, Fear & Loathing Re: TMBG: Make way for... the OLD guy! Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Re: TMBG: the Vogue review Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Re: TMBG: the Vogue review TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-47 Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Re: TMBG: Make way for... the OLD guy! Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Re: TMBG: the Vogue review Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-47 TMBG: Re: Make way for... the OLD guy! Re: TMBG: the Vogue review Re: TMBG: the Vogue review TMBG: Re: things Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-47 Re: TMBG: the Vogue review Re: TMBG: long rant about what they should do to their show NON-TMBG: and now you're even older, and now you're even older... NON-TMBG: BFF's 'army' Re: TMBG: Re: things Re: TMBG: Re: things Re: NON-TMBG: BFF's 'army' TMBG: Re: things Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <4e13d2ad.244d4f2d@aol.com> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:31:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Chicken Livers (Des Moines Show) In a message dated 4/19/99 10:30:51 PM, prallena@martin.luther.edu writes: >What's with not joining the conga line? > well, i'm just assuming you wouldn't want to lose your spot and get trampled, but i guess that's just me. ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: tkula@redragon.cx Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:54:53 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Chicken Livers (Des Moines Show) Message-ID: I will be there, with a decent sized (>10) group of Drake students. Look for a big guy with longish red hair wearing a Drake Society of Physics Students t-shirt (one with an exploding whale on the front). I'll probably be sitting in the balcony; I did so during the last Oct. Chicago show and enjoyed sitting back and enjoying a good show. Of course, if this is your first time, being up front is a worthwhile experience. # Thomas L. Kula: The Louis P. Weatherbacker Weirdo in Residence | 137 # # "The right to be heard does not include the | tk0003@acad.drake.edu # # right to be taken seriously." | www.keymaster.cx # # - Hubert H. Humphrey | "Weird Gratia Weirdus" # On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Tarsi wrote: > OOOOH! > > Ticketbas*ard came through and I got my tickets today for the Des Moines > show, hot lava! :) Who else is going? I'll be there in blue jeans and an > MST3K T-shirt, I think. I'll have to see about getting a TMBG shirt, though. > > BTW, to all you regular (or veteran) TMBG concertgoers, what sort of things > should I be looking for and participate in and such? (I'm a virgin They > concertgoer, teach me o' wise ones!) > > Thanks, and praise THEY! :) > > Tarsi > 210 > ------------------------------------------------- > Want to get paid for surfing the web? Go here: > http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=AOT516 > The Void: http://www.cs.luther.edu/~prallena > ------------------------------------------------- > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 01:03:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Chicken Livers (Des Moines Show) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Chicken Livers (D.. by Tarsi@martin.luther.edu > What's with not joining the conga line? if I want to go to a concert and not actually *see* the band, I'll put in a bootleg in the comfort of my own home. but if I spend $15-$20 to get into a show, I expect to be able to watch as well as listen. that's why I don't join the conga line... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990420072204.91543.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: TMBG: the Vogue review Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 00:22:02 PDT Hello, friends and neighbors. Just recently returned from the show. Let me say first say that the last couple of shows I've been to have been disappointing. I had feared that they had fallen into a rut and got hit by the dull stick. Tonight, they were SMOKIN'! They were on a rampage. They couldn't be stopped. They were running with scissors. They were cutting the tags off of pillows. They were watching Bob Dole on Conan. Oh wait. That's my roommate in the background. Granted, most of the material was the same as we've all seen over and over in the past. Particle Man, Birdhouse, Istanbul (2nd[!] encore), She's an Angel, She's Actual Size, SEXXY, Spy (great Spy...), Ana Ng, They Got Lost, Shoehorn w/ Teeth (also shuffle version), James K. Polk, New York City, WDTSS. We heard the Famous American Polka. Flans commented that it was a little slow. So they played it again - ridiculously fast. Older was great - it started with a Flans laying down a funky Older riff and then the end of the song kept getting sooner and sooner, much to our dismay. Istanbul was a great closer - they really drew it out and looked comfortable doing it. The Guitar was phenomenal. And speaking of the guitar - Flans was playing a Gibson hollow body that I hadn't seen before. It was a sweet axe, and he was having a great time with it. In fact everyone was having a great time. JL was getting down during the whole second half of the show. I mean actually dancing! They were pumped and so was the crowd. And speaking of the crowd - kids, I don't think anyone was even THINKING of surfing. I will never go see them play at a college again. Over 21 is THE way to go. The new songs were cool. Finished With Lies I had heard before. It's there. And whoever said it was right. Cyclops Rock was a rocked out song. Lot of potential there. She Thinks She's Edith Head brought out some great TMBG lyrics. The way we like 'em. It's So Loud in Here had me laughing. Their shoes were laced with irony. And that's not all. The first encore was Exquisite Dead Guy (with the heads - we saw no stick though) which was a first for me. I'm glad I got to see it because empirically speaking it was completely hysterical. That was followed by (ecstasy) Twistin'. Which was very ironic because I had seen my ex-girlfriend earlier and she has my Brain Candy soundtrack which sparked this lyric from me and my pal: she hasn't given back my Brain Candy soundtrack but there's not a lot of things that she'll give back and then she wanted to come over and see me again. Right in the middle of She's Actual Size. But I'm betting no one really cares. And for the first time, I heard Whistling in the Dark. With Flans on bass drum. That was preceded by a Flans bass drum jam based on the lyrics "I'm sorry for fucking up the show" to which Linnell responded "true story". Oh, and after they brought the glockenspiel up on stage for SWT, Flans says into the glock mic, "I'm having an anuerism", which Linnell explains by saying, "Band cues. So we know what to play next." And Linnell did the 'someone stole my eye' vocorder jam before Ana Ng. And then within the song, we heard these words: JL: When I was driving once, I saw this painted on my eye JF: I don't want the world I just want your eye In summary, there were two things that stood out to me and really made the show outstanding. The first was the tightness of the band musically - I think the Johns and Dans are really starting to get copmfortable together. And the second, perhaps feeding off the first, was the energy of the show. I haven't seen the Johns that pumped - ever! And this was my (pauses to think) sixth show since 1994. This has been an extremely disorganized concert review. If anyone has anything to add here, please do so. but for now, peace and pomegranates, Todd _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990420083217.66629.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Flaming Carrot" Subject: TMBG: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Family Guy Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:32:17 CDT I would have ot disagree with the some of the prevoius statements about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I thought the movie was excellent, so much so that after the first viewing, my roommate and I bought it on DVD, and we fire it up about three to five times a week. The movie is great just for the spectacle of it all, and although I haven't seen many other Gilliam films, I did like the direction better than 12 Monkeys. I did enjoy the charachters of Hunter S. Thompson and Dr. Gonzo by Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro, respectively, rather than Bill Murray and the other guy in "Where the Bufalo Roam" Personally, I think one of the best facets of the film is all the random lines and their delivery. I cannot count the number of times I have been with some of my friends who've seen the film, as well as some who haven't, and I've said "We can't stop here, this is bat country!" Every time my roommate fires up the film, we start into it all, "We were somewhere around Barstowe, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold" Oh, the movie is grand, especially on multiple viewings. It has that randomness aspect that makes television shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy great. Speaking of Family Guy, I missed last week's show, has the whole commercial involvement thing a gimmick or what. On the show after the superbowl they incorporated Kool-Aid Man, and on this last one they had Chuck Wagon dog food. Any more overt commerical references? L8R Bjorky _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <008501be8b08$e8145b40$a4470904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Family Guy Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:36:34 -0400 Flaming Carrot wondered: >Speaking of Family Guy, I missed last week's show, has the whole >commercial involvement thing a gimmick or what. On the show after the >superbowl they incorporated Kool-Aid Man, and on this last one they >had Chuck Wagon dog food. Any more overt commerical references? In the second episode, there was the sun pouring down two scoops of raisins, one of which crushed the car :) Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:40:14 BST From: "Dr. Worm" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-46 Message-ID: Hey Leave the shows alone!!!! You may all be "getting tired" of the conga and Exquisite Dead Guy but you should all be damn grateful they play in your COUNTRY more than once every FOUR YEARS!!!!! If you don't enjoy yourselves, don't go!!!! Anyway, I don't really care what They play, cos I figure They play stuff that They enjoy playing and hence They play better (whoa!! too many They's!) and I think They know best. But I do really wanna see some of the older stuff live - the first time I saw Them was in '92 and they did a cool Purple Toupee. Hit me with your grumbles... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:47:24 -0400 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: everybody conga! Message-id: <01JA92QZ3K9E008JMK@VASSAR.EDU> >>well... all this talk of "they should retire the dummies and the stick"... >>makes me wonder what the recent tour brings... but i haven't heard of any >>drastic tour change stories. so. participation? i can only think of the >>conga line, but don't bother. get there a couple hours > >A couple of hours? Whew. > >early to guarantee a >>spot in the front, and don't join the conga line (if it happens). > >What's with not joining the conga line? yeah, no kidding. only wuss's don't conga. to anybody who hasn't done it, you should do it. it's fun. it's the only way to truly experience a tmbg show. otherwise, you're just standing around looking like a dork (as opposed to conga-ing and looking like a dork). just my opinion, ben ps. although, if you're short i guess i can't blame you for sticking to the front. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:15:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Message-ID: Ok, I'm one of the people that DOESN'T conga.. but let me just add.. unless I was VERY oblivious at the front, in Cincinnati on Sunday, there WAS no conga line. Which I found kinda odd. No big stick, either. But a GREAT concert. btw, another question.. did anyone hear the pre-show music? There was some.. instrumental version of Istanbul? At first, I thought it was the original. But there were no vocals.. Any clue? Love, Colleen Anne On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Ben Knowles wrote: > >>well... all this talk of "they should retire the dummies and the stick"... > >>makes me wonder what the recent tour brings... but i haven't heard of any > >>drastic tour change stories. so. participation? i can only think of the > >>conga line, but don't bother. get there a couple hours > > > >A couple of hours? Whew. > > > >early to guarantee a > >>spot in the front, and don't join the conga line (if it happens). > > > >What's with not joining the conga line? > > yeah, no kidding. only wuss's don't conga. to anybody who hasn't done it, > you should do it. it's fun. it's the only way to truly experience a tmbg > show. otherwise, you're just standing around looking like a dork (as > opposed to conga-ing and looking like a dork). > > just my opinion, > ben > > ps. although, if you're short i guess i can't blame you for sticking to the > front. > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009401be8b39$3cb145c0$1df1c4cc@ois-010783.DOA.STATE.LA.US> From: "John Voorhees" Subject: TMBG: Make way for... the OLD guy! Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:22:35 -0500 Greetings, you young whippersnappers. This is my first posting to this list, although I've read a few digests worth, and it's clear to me that you're all a bunch of young hooligans bent on the destruction and trivialization of those fine Brooklyn boys, Thy Must Beg Gents. Having grown to the ripe old age of thirty (yes, you little whippets heard me right, THIRTY!) I was one of the priveleged few who knew the music of the Gaunts back before their tragic sell-out move to Elektra. Oh sure, Flood was a creative album, but you could already sense the corporate mindset creeping into play as our two beloved Grunts began the downward spiral toward the ZOMBIE-LIKE behavior they exhibit today. Poor depleted bastards. HAH! That was a joke! That was irony, ya little peons, and you were probably all gettin all worked up to send me some steamin' flamers, weren't ya? This generation today, they don't know a good joke when it comes up and kicks 'em in the bazooie. No, The Main Big Guys are still tops in my book. But I did see 'em at Tipitina's in New Orleans before the release of Lincoln. Before the show started officially, I wa up near the stage, and there was John F, digging his gear out of a little travel bag with a contact paper "J" on the side. It was adorable. I asked him why he had a J on there when both the band members names started with J. He didn't miss a beat, and said "It's all alphabetical." Ah, them were the days. None of your moshing back then, my younguns. Just a group of silly people jumping up and down like idiots singing Bing-bang-bingalong, Sing-sang-singalong, Ding-dang-dingalong-day. But now, you crazy kids, with your rumble seats and your hula hoops and your conga lines and your crowd surfing... AAAAAH! Well, the old guy's here now, so shape up! All ways think to yourself before you are faced with a decision, What would This May Be Grant do? John Voorhees "The Old Guy" [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:07:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Jeremy Treuer Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: crowd surfing Message-ID: Why do you go to rock concerts? -Remi On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 4/19/99 12:47:37 PM, kocar.1@osu.edu writes: > > > they actually > >cracked down on those crowd surfers! Anyone who did it was kicked out. > >Throughout the whole show, a mere *two* people dared to try it. I > >thought it was great. Anyone know if this is just the Violent Femmes' > >policy or if maybe they're just starting to get stricter about this? > >This is the first time in all the concerts I've been to that I've seen > >this happen, and it was a much more pleasant concert experience for all, > >in my opinion. > > > > i can't speak as for the femmes, but i can say that many bands i normally see > do this. and i love it. my favourite result of this, was when an idiotic > crowd surfer was pulled out, he thew his shirt at the band that was playing > (sloan) and the lead singer, chris murphy spit on the shirt and kicked it off > stage all in the middle of a song. :) that crowd was pretty bad... they kept > threatening to stop if people didn't stop shoving. there were security guards > even holding the barriers that had broken. (i was in the balcony.. haha) ... > my first TMBG show was pretty bad that way... i was in the front row, and > people were shoving SO bad that i was pressed up against the rail, and i > could have lifted my feet up and still been in place. i had to leave a > tragically hip show because of that one time.. it got so bad and so hot, i > couldn't bear it. and my last barenaked ladies show (and probably my > *last*.. for a while, anyway...) was so awful.. i was in the front and all > these drunken girls came up and started shoving saying that they deserved to > be in front, blah blah.. so i went to the back. then... the last time i saw > TMBG was at an edgefest last summer. the first few rows were harmless TMBG > fans, but surrounding people were there for.. um... other bands..and they > were throwing shit at the stage... like frisbees, and ... a *garbage can*.. i > was in the second "row", and the guy in front of me offered to trade places. > eventually he pressed up against me. ... :| eew. > > sarah > http://members.aol.com/limezinger > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:14:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Jeremy Treuer Subject: Re: TMBG: off topic: Gilliam, Fear & Loathing Message-ID: Don't forget the 'The Princess Bride'! Yay, uhm, that's all I can think of right now. Schindlers List was also good, I'm not a big fan of 2001, but my girlfriend likes it. That's all for me. -Remi carlyn nugent wrote: > Define "great" book. For me, the following films are on the list > because I loved the books and the films didn't suck (even though some > are way less than true adaptations of the book--even changing the title > in a few cases): > > A Clockwork Orange > Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas > Hellraiser > The Wizard of Oz > Frankenstein (1931) > Blade Runner > Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory > Something Wicked This Way Comes (okay, this one comes nowhere near the > book...still it doesn't actually suck...just has a lot to live up to) > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001101be8b47$130fe420$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Re: TMBG: Make way for... the OLD guy! Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:01:38 -0600 Rule number one: no one is old until I specifically tell them so! So there! Anyway...welcome to the list, John. I'm Nick (Refund) Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico, and only current candidate for the position of Vagueness Judge on this list. Speaking of which, since no one else has even bothered to run, I'm going to just vote myself into office. *pause* There. I'm now the vagueness judge. That didn't hurt a bit, did it? It's good, though, to have another addition to this, the There Must Be Gyros emailing list. It's refreshing, I think, to see so many people awakened to their music. Just the other day, I quoted a few lines from a song, and people started piping up. "Ah ha!," I thought to myself, "More disciples for That Might Bring Ginger." (Wow...coming up with new things for TMBG to stand for is actually pretty fun.) Ok. I'm going to shut up again, now. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico. Vagueness Judge to the TMBG Emailing list. ----- Original Message ----- From: John Voorhees To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 8:22 AM Subject: TMBG: Make way for... the OLD guy! Greetings, you young whippersnappers. This is my first posting to this list, although I've read a few digests worth, and it's clear to me that you're all a bunch of young hooligans bent on the destruction and trivialization of those fine Brooklyn boys, Thy Must Beg Gents. Having grown to the ripe old age of thirty (yes, you little whippets heard me right, THIRTY!) I was one of the priveleged few who knew the music of the Gaunts back before their tragic sell-out move to Elektra. Oh sure, Flood was a creative album, but you could already sense the corporate mindset creeping into play as our two beloved Grunts began the downward spiral toward the ZOMBIE-LIKE behavior they exhibit today. Poor depleted bastards. HAH! That was a joke! That was irony, ya little peons, and you were probably all gettin all worked up to send me some steamin' flamers, weren't ya? This generation today, they don't know a good joke when it comes up and kicks 'em in the bazooie. No, The Main Big Guys are still tops in my book. But I did see 'em at Tipitina's in New Orleans before the release of Lincoln. Before the show started officially, I wa up near the stage, and there was John F, digging his gear out of a little travel bag with a contact paper "J" on the side. It was adorable. I asked him why he had a J on there when both the band members names started with J. He didn't miss a beat, and said "It's all alphabetical." Ah, them were the days. None of your moshing back then, my younguns. Just a group of silly people jumping up and down like idiots singing Bing-bang-bingalong, Sing-sang-singalong, Ding-dang-dingalong-day. But now, you crazy kids, with your rumble seats and your hula hoops and your conga lines and your crowd surfing... AAAAAH! Well, the old guy's here now, so shape up! All ways think to yourself before you are faced with a decision, What would This May Be Grant do? John Voorhees "The Old Guy" [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <10604e35.244dfaf3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:44:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: everybody conga! >yeah, no kidding. only wuss's don't conga. to anybody who hasn't done it, >you should do it. it's fun. it's the only way to truly experience a tmbg >show. otherwise, you're just standing around looking like a dork (as >opposed to conga-ing and looking like a dork). > >just my opinion, >ben > >ps. although, if you're short i guess i can't blame you for sticking to >the >front. exactly. i'd secretly love to join you all. but once i'm in front, i ain't movin. ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <695a097a.244df836@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:33:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: the Vogue review In a message dated 4/20/99 2:23:11 AM, morning_pilaf@hotmail.com writes: >And speaking of the crowd - kids, I don't think anyone was >even THINKING of surfing. I will never go see them play at a college >again. Over 21 is THE way to go. hey now... that's not fair. i can't say i don't agree with you, yet i'm not yet 21... and reading an excerpt like that sounds like you're lumping us all in a category. :( i HATE crowd surfers. the best tmbg show i saw was one that was supposed to be 18+ (but it was changed to all ages at the last minute).... but please don't stereotype us. jeez. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 06:16:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Message-ID: <19990520.061641.2694.2.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: i think my name is jay or not Colleen Anne hath written: >Ok, I'm one of the people that DOESN'T conga.. >but let me just add.. unless I was VERY oblivious at the front, in >Cincinnati on Sunday, there WAS no conga line. Which I found kinda >odd. No big stick, either. >But a GREAT concert. In truth, there was a visible conga line from my position on Flans' side, though it was admittedly neither long nor They sanctioned. As always, it hit me a few times whilst passing, but this time I have no bruises on my arse to show for it , and crowd surfing was as well at a minimum. All in all a mild and wonderful show from my own calmer perspective. I recall being at Newport Hall in Colombus last year. One might say that moshing and its ilk are part of the concert experience, but my own experience finds it much more enjoyable just to stand and .. stare. And soak up the music I love. And not give up my place. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, who's in love with "top ten billboard hits: 1962." big girls don't cry to the duke of earl, nor to a soldier boy named sheila doing the peppermint twist and the locomotion with a wanderer who realized that breaking up is hard to do, especially with johnny angel whilst walking through palisades park. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:48:34 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: everybody conga! In a message dated 4/20/99, 12:32:08 PM, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: << >yeah, no kidding. only wuss's don't conga. to anybody who hasn't done it, >you should do it. it's fun. it's the only way to truly experience a tmbg >show. otherwise, you're just standing around looking like a dork (as >opposed to conga-ing and looking like a dork). > >just my opinion, >ben > >ps. although, if you're short i guess i can't blame you for sticking to >the >front. exactly. i'd secretly love to join you all. but once i'm in front, i ain't movin. ;) I'd like to conga, but I'm short, too (5'), and, well, there's also the matter of Linnell's damn hypnotic powers keeping me in my spot At the last show I went to, I vowed to be on Flans' side for once, but it was already filled up by the time I raced inside. But I don't just stand there...I grab onto the railing and bounce like nobody's bizness! Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990420125508.00926eb0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:56:18 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: the Vogue review It's a definite trade-off. With 18+ shows, you have a higher chance of being kicked in the head, but with 21+ shows, your chances of getting beer spilled all over you increases. :-) -Adam, who doesn't like to drink, have drinks spilled on him, or be kicked, pushed, maimed, etc. At 11:33 AM 4/20/99, LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > > >hey now... that's not fair. i can't say i don't agree with you, yet i'm not >yet 21... and reading an excerpt like that sounds like you're lumping us all >in a category. :( i HATE crowd surfers. the best tmbg show i saw was one >that was supposed to be 18+ (but it was changed to all ages at the last >minute).... but please don't stereotype us. jeez. -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:57:48 -0400 (EDT) From: "John J. Ryan" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-47 Message-ID: A few things to comment on..... Shoving crowds. The TMBG RBF show was actually easy on my feet because I was able to lift my feet up off the crowd and actually still be supported and held up by the rest of the shoving crowd! So if you have sore feet like I do, maybe tight crowds are the answer, just life your feet up and enjoy! :) BTW< has this ever happened, have you been to any show where you could simply lift your feet up and be supported by the crowd? As for congaing, I admit that I was a pansy front person who would not get in the conga line at my first TMBG show. * Ouch, Flans just brought out the can on whoop ass on me! * Any, I have been to two more shows since then , and they haven't given me an opportunity to redeem myself. I'm seeing them next at the Bowery in NYC on 5/15, and if they do a conga line, I don't care if I am way up front able to touch Flans, I am congaing!!! I think it is also a great way to meet new people, who knows, you could be congaing next to a pretty cute female TMBG fan, and there are quite a few of them out there!!! :) And don't worry, you will be able to spot your friends after the show is over. The NYC Tour, as a NYC area resident: First, let's go through the song, NYC! Statue of Liberty: You'll have to take a boat to get there from either New York or Jersey City, NJ. Be careful, if you want to go to the top, be prepared to wait, on a nice warm day, it will take 3 hours to get there, and you won't be able to stay, it's move up and move back down, no time to loiter in there. However, you can spend your time just walking around the statue which is quite a marvel in itself. Staten Island Ferry: A great way to go into the city. The ferry is more expensive than the train or path train, but it's a great way to enter the city. This ferry is also mentioned in the Billy Joel song, "Everybody Loves You Now." Co-Op City: This is up in the Bronx. It is a fully-functional community with apartments, shopping center, post office, etc. Everything you need to live a comfortable life is only a walk awayf or your residence. Not an interesting place to visit as a tourist, but I had to mention it for obvious reasons. Cats: Not many things are better than Cats. Now the longest running musical on Broadway of all time, (Beating A Chorus Line). Some people hate all the dancing, but I was not dissapointed, because I like the music. No plot, but great music and dancing. And the theater it is in is a uniquely shaped theater. Tiffany's: For all you 5th Ave. window shoppers out there. Pure tourist trap here as most will simply gawk at stuff they know they can't afford. Central Park: Another amazing place. Wonderful just to take a stroll in, but it also has it's own zoo and is also the home to John Lennon's Strawberry Fields, where Beatle fans gather every Saturday afternoon to sing songs and celebrate his life. Brooklyn Bridge: You can walk across this ancient looking bridge easily. It is also the bridge where many have scrolled, "I don't want the world, I just want your half." Where Dylan lived: Soho, the area where a lot of celebs live in the city, kinda like the Beverly Hills of New York. It is also the trendiest area, and another tourist trap. Coney Island: Southern end of the city, home of one of the first amusement parks and the best hot dogs in the world. Times Square: Really has cleaned up over the years, and most of the theater district hovers around this area. Stay away from the XXX stuff. Rockafeller Center: If you love skating in the winter, you'll have to wait another 3 hours to be able to skate here. Also home to NBC studios, where you can take a tour of the studio (Very cheesy BTW), or you can camp out at 1 AM to get to be on the Today show. You can camp out even longer to get on Saturday Night Live, or not so long for Conan O'Brien, which I would rather see anyway! Some other fave points of interest: The Intrepid Air & Space Museum: Awesome sight with lots of planes and boats on display, on an actual aircraft carrier. If you are a war buff, you could get lost here. The Soup Nazi: Yes, he is real, although he is now a tourist trap more than anything. About $6-$7 for a small thing of soup and a piece of bread, but make sure follow the rules, or no soup for you!!! Rupert G's deli: Right outside Letterman's show is his best local buddy, Rupert! He is a great guy, as I actually met him. His sandwiches aren't bad either. Lincoln Center: Home of the NY Phil, need I say more. You will be able to see them for free if you simply wait outside after intermission, and grab a ticket stub from a big wig who doesn't care about the 2nd half of the concert. Well, that is the TMBG NYC tour. It will probably take you more than a day to do, even longer if you do it in order. The Beatles tour of Liverpool is even more of a tourist trap, so that is okay. * John J. Ryan * * Mason Gross School of the Arts - Rutgers University * * STELRFAN@EDEN.RUTGERS.EDU * * http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~stelrfan * ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:59:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: everybody conga! In a message dated 4/20/99 12:56:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Kaylum@aol.com writes: << At the last show I went to, I vowed to be on Flans' side for once, but it was already filled up by the time I raced inside. >> I'm trying to figure out which side I'm going to stand when I see them on the 30th of this month (got my ticket yesterday!) I stood on Linnell's side last concert so I should stand on Flan's side, but its Linnell! so I'm not sure...anyone else going to the Rochester show know what side they're going to be on? -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <5ab8e632.244deac4@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:35:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Make way for... the OLD guy! Greetings, you young whippersnappers. This is my first posting to this list, although I've read a few digests worth, and it's clear to me that you're all a bunch of young hooligans bent on the destruction and trivialization of those fine Brooklyn boys, Thy Must Beg Gents. Having grown to the ripe old age of thirty (yes, you little whippets heard me right, THIRTY!) I was one of the priveleged few who knew the music of the Gaunts back before their tragic sell-out move to Elektra. Oh sure, Flood was a creative album, but you could already sense the corporate mindset creeping into play as our two beloved Grunts began the downward spiral toward the ZOMBIE-LIKE behavior they exhibit today. Poor depleted bastards. HAH! That was a joke! That was irony, ya little peons, and you were probably all gettin all worked up to send me some steamin' flamers, weren't ya? This generation today, they don't know a good joke when it comes up and kicks 'em in the bazooie. No, The Main Big Guys are still tops in my book. But I did see 'em at Tipitina's in New Orleans before the release of Lincoln. Before the show started officially, I wa up near the stage, and there was John F, digging his gear out of a little travel bag with a contact paper "J" on the side. It was adorable. I asked him why he had a J on there when both the band members names started with J. He didn't miss a beat, and said "It's all alphabetical." Ah, them were the days. None of your moshing back then, my younguns. Just a group of silly people jumping up and down like idiots singing Bing-bang-bingalong, Sing-sang-singalong, Ding-dang-dingalong-day. But now, you crazy kids, with your rumble seats and your hula hoops and your conga lines and your crowd surfing... AAAAAH! Well, the old guy's here now, so shape up! All ways think to yourself before you are faced with a decision, What would This May Be Grant do? John Voorhees "The Old Guy" What a great post! :-) But I'm older than you are, you old guy, you! I'm a creakin' in the rockin' chair (hey, someone just moved it!) 33 years. So sit down, and mind your manners, young man. Or will it be the yardstick on the hand again? Karen "Gosh, I'm suddenly feeling all Arthur-Dentish again" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <4e153eaf.244e0eab@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:08:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: everybody conga! In a message dated 4/20/99 1:06:21 PM, Alterian@aol.com writes: >..anyone else going to the Rochester show know what side they're going > >to be on? i generally assume to stand on linnell side, but i usually end up somewhere in the middle. hey amber, if ya can find me in line, come on up an' say hi. :) i may be there by myself for a while... friends of mine always show up late. heh. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:17:41 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <371CC4C5.72499C0F@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Someone, who's name may or may not be jay, wrote: > jay, who's in love with "top ten billboard hits: 1962." big girls don't > cry to the duke of earl, nor to a soldier boy named sheila doing the > peppermint twist and the locomotion with a wanderer who realized that > breaking up is hard to do, especially with johnny angel whilst walking > through palisades park. You should try "Rock On!:1970" I never knew they could fit so much good music into one year! Actually, that's a blatant lie. I've always known the volume of good music in one year almost exceeds Roberto Benigni's love for any given thing! Raindrops keep falling on the head of a gypsy woman and a green-eyed lady, who's talking to the spirit in the sky. The spirit says "Hey lawdy mama!", to which she replies "He ain't heavy, He's my brother!" But Mama told me not to go there, though everything IS beautiful. But for me, the thrill is gone until I see Venus, goddess of love that she is. I say "Hey there, lonely girl!" and she's looking at me with those temptation eyes. Then I shut up, because no one cares about music from 1970 that I find more bearable than anything I hear on my local radio stations! AKA Bob "Public Radio Pledge drives really drag out" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990420182300.47511.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: the Vogue review Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:22:59 PDT > >In a message dated 4/20/99 2:23:11 AM, morning_pilaf@hotmail.com writes: > >>And speaking of the crowd - kids, I don't think anyone was >>even THINKING of surfing. I will never go see them play at a college >>again. Over 21 is THE way to go. > > >hey now... that's not fair. i can't say i don't agree with you, yet i'm not >yet 21... and reading an excerpt like that sounds like you're lumping us all >in a category. :( i HATE crowd surfers. the best tmbg show i saw was one >that was supposed to be 18+ (but it was changed to all ages at the last >minute).... but please don't stereotype us. jeez. > > >sarah >http://members.aol.com/limezinger Now, don't misinterpret me, sister lowercase. I meant no stereotype. I'm just saying that no one crowd surfs at a bar, that's all. And that's not the only difference. The Johns obviously did not feel nearly as much pressure to be...well, quirky. They can get into the music with having to feel the pressure to entertain the crowd with conga lines and the same old songs. They appreciate that everyone is there to listen to the MUSIC, not be jackasses. At the end of the show, Flans actually said, "We love playing the Vogue." I don't think they say stuff like that very often. But I feel your pain, under 21 folks. I know you're not all a bunch of dipshits. I'd like to write poem about it. But not right now. Todd ps And I forgot to say, Michael Shelley opened up. Y'all are right. He's pretty cool. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <208200ba.244e14f9@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:35:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-47 In a message dated 4/20/99, 1:01:28 PM, stelrfan@eden.rutgers.edu writes: << Cats: Not many things are better than Cats. Now the longest running musical on Broadway of all time, (Beating A Chorus Line). Some people hate all the dancing, but I was not dissapointed, because I like the music. No plot, but great music and dancing. And the theater it is in is a uniquely shaped theater. >> In the song, they're referring to Katz's, a fairly large, cavernous deli just a stone's throw away from the Mercury Lounge (great egg creams and knishes, too :9 ) Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:02:19 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <371CCF3B.734C8D0C@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Make way for... the OLD guy! From: griffon@earthling.net (John Voorhees) > This generation today, they don't know a good joke when > it comes up and kicks 'em in the bazooie. Some of us can still detect ATTEMPTS at jokes. Mike "30 you say?" Leffel --------------------------- iName is now Mail.com, you can do it all with Mail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:43:06 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the Vogue review Message-ID: <19990520.084313.2694.0.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: i think my name is jay or not :dias dot >At the end of the show, Flans actually said, "We love playing the >Vogue." I don't think they say stuff like that very often. They said that the first two times I saw them at Bogarts in Cincinnati, if I remember correctly. So there. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, who notes that they did not indeed mention they loved anything about cincinnati on sunday night, except the buzzing sound ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:39:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: Re: TMBG: the Vogue review Message-ID: Well.. They DID say they were gonna buy a house in Cincinnati, because they were there so often. hehe. I think the last time before Sunday they played there was October 9, 1998. What's not to love about Bogart's??? *giggle* It's honestly my favorite venue, for any band. Get there a couple of hours early, and you're up front. It's beautiful. (NOTE: This is NOT a paid advertisement. Bogart's is not throwing money at me hand over fist to say this. That new Camaro in the parking lot belongs to my grandmother. Really.) Love, Colleen Anne On Thu, 20 May 1999, i think my name is jay or not wrote: > > :dias dot > > >At the end of the show, Flans actually said, "We love playing the > >Vogue." I don't think they say stuff like that very often. > > They said that the first two times I saw them at Bogarts in > Cincinnati, if I remember correctly. So there. > > > peace, love, and good happiness stuff, > > jay, who notes that they did not indeed mention they loved anything about > cincinnati on sunday night, except the buzzing sound > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html > or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:37:28 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: things Message-ID: <19990420.155858.9782.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >IT'S NOT VONNEGUT'S DAMMIT! Yes, I'm well aware of this by now... In fact, I've been corrected at least four times, thankya'llverymuch. Besides, my father told me it was Vonnegut. Ya'll can beat it into him with a stick. But see, the important thing about that post was my requesting info about the Columbus show. That was the important thing, people! Does anyone know? I have to go to this! I'm already upset I missed Cincinnati, I can't miss this... Besides, if I go, Jay'll probably get to go - and if I go, I get to more fully convert two friends from school to the wonder that is TMBG, and we all want that, don't we? ever-sincere, eriKa, grew a moustache and a mullet, got a job at Chick-Fil-A* *This reminds me, did anyone see Ben Folds Five's video for "Army" on 120 Minutes? It's great! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:58:51 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: everybody conga! Message-ID: <19990420.155858.9782.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Kay said: >I'd like to conga, but I'm short, too (5'), YES! Hooray for us (we?) short people! I, too, know the disadvantages to being small of stature - I just recently broke the five-foot barrier myself (by about three fourths of an inch, but I'm damn proud of those three fourths) - one those disadvantages being that it can be difficult to keep up with rowdy crowds of tall people... In fact, after being knocked to the floor at my last Relient K show, I would have probably been injured if it were not for an unlikely hero in an "I (heart) N.Y." shirt pulling me to my feet suddenly. After being frequently exposed to mosh-pit situations for about a year now, I still have not learned how to keep myself from getting pushed around too much by those larger than I - but I have become an expert at worming through crowds. ever-sincere, eriKa, you know what I am baby? gorgonzola cheese. April 23, 6pm at Alliance First Friends Church - *Relient K*, Linus' Blanket, Boy Wonder, Asine, Peroxide. Five bands, four bucks. It doesn't get any better. More info - (330) 874-2189, Relientque@aol.com (or ask me!). ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:17:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-47 Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 20-Apr-99 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Dig.. by Kaylum@aol.com > In the song, they're referring to Katz's, a fairly large, cavernous deli > just a stone's throw away from the Mercury Lounge (great egg creams and > knishes, too :9 ) well, in TMBG's version, anyway. :) the original lyrics are something like this: Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, Alphabet City, Breakfast at Tiffany's. Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State where King Kong Lived. I'm not sure then, how to interpret that. any New Yorkers want to help me out? (Maybe it's good that Flans couldn't understand the lyrics - cub's version doesn't seem to make much sense :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <371CE42C.2D0EF972@sevenlands.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:31:40 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: TMBG: the Vogue review Colleen Anne McClanahan wrote: > What's not to love about Bogart's??? *giggle* It's honestly my favorite > venue, for any band. Get there a couple of hours early, and you're up > front. It's beautiful. I drove up from Louisville to go to the 10/9 show and was really happy with Bogart's. We got there during the opening act and were still able to get spots right up front in the second tier balcony. Great view, even if it wasn't close, and away from all the craziness in front of the stage...(Sorry, after having beverages spilled on me, getting groped by drunken idiots, having various bodily injuries inflicted on me from being in the very front--including 4 cracked ribs just from crowd crush--and just getting older and crotchety, I'll let the young'uns go to the front). CN ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:53:01 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: long rant about what they should do to their show Message-ID: On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > little known facts: > > John Flansburgh can play, in addition to guitar, drums, keyboards, and > trumpet. and the stick. don't forget the stick. :) > John Linnell can play guitar and bass, but is probably way out of practice. :) i wish i knew how john linnell got that extra-creepy guitar sound that he has... --jim kuemmerle, wrooong, live from the mini-mall... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 4/20 -- GLADE at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm $0 4/22 -- GLADE at the zephyr, $0 if you let me know and i get you comp tickets... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:11:55 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: and now you're even older, and now you're even older... Message-ID: On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, John Voorhees wrote: > Greetings, you young whippersnappers. (snip) > you're all a bunch of young hooligans (snip) > (yes, you little whippets (snip) > That was irony, ya little peons, (snip) > But now, you crazy kids, (snip) > John Voorhees > "The Old Guy" hmm... i'm sensing a pattern here. a hint: while the average age of the list members is 19 according to the most recent list survey, and while many of our more actively-posting denizens are still in high school, the population of the list is significantly more diverse than just that. in fact, according to that same survey, the oldest list member clocked in at 53. i don't remember which name is attached to that number, but how much does the number *really* matter, anyway? so welcome to the list, but man, don't be so hung up about being thirty. :) it happens to all of us. if we're lucky. --jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 4/20 -- GLADE at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm $0 4/22 -- GLADE at the zephyr. $0 if you let me know and i get you a ticket. $5? otherwise. i really should finalize this info and just add it to my sig rather than having to type it each time, huh? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:22:38 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: BFF's 'army' Message-ID: On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > ever-sincere, > eriKa, > grew a moustache and a mullet, got a job at Chick-Fil-A* this is a really cool song, but what the hell is a mullet? --jim kuemmerle, wondering if it's at all related to the martin van buren-ish mutton chops... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 4/20 -- GLADE at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm $0 4/22 -- GLADE at the zephyr, yada yada yada... ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <575ed549.244e393b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:10:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: things In a message dated 4/20/99 4:08:26 PM, hotel_detective1@juno.com writes: >But see, the important thing about that post was my requesting info about >the Columbus show. That was the important thing, people! Does anyone >know? I have to go to this! I'm already upset I missed Cincinnati, I >can't miss this... Besides, if I go, Jay'll probably get to go - and if >I >go, I get to more fully convert two friends from school to the wonder >that is TMBG, and we all want that, don't we? aww... y'all come to rochester instead! ;) >ever-sincere, >eriKa, >grew a moustache and a mullet, got a job at Chick-Fil-A* > >*This reminds me, did anyone see Ben Folds Five's video for "Army" on 120 >Minutes? It's great! yesyesyesyesyes!! i was watching MST, and flipped to mtv just in time to catch it. it's beautiful! love that song too... sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <371CC726.BE525A05@osu.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:27:52 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: things Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > But see, the important thing about that post was my requesting info about > the Columbus show. That was the important thing, people! Does anyone > know? I have to go to this! I'm already upset I missed Cincinnati, I > can't miss this... Besides, if I go, Jay'll probably get to go - and if I > go, I get to more fully convert two friends from school to the wonder > that is TMBG, and we all want that, don't we? Well, there WAS a post about this not too long ago (sent by me :-) ) which told you all you need to know, but I'll be nice and repeat it again. :-) They will be performing at the Newport Music Hall, which is right by Ohio State University, on High Street, in between 12th and 13th avenues. I believe it starts at 8:00, not sure when doors open. Tickets are available through ticketmaster, and are about $15. If you need more detailed directions or anything else that you think I might know, feel free to email me. Diana ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:50:56 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BFF's 'army' Message-ID: <19990420.185210.11806.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Ben Folds sang: "Grew a moustache and a mullet..." And Pinky Kuemmerle asked: >but what the hell is a mullet? Well, Webster's defines mullet as "any of various marine or fresh-water fishes." But I'm assuming he's referring to some sort of facial hair. Or maybe not... Thus is the enigma that is Ben Folds... ever-sincere, eriKa, I don't know about you, but I enjoy watching paint dry. I imagine that the wet paint is a big freshwater lake that is the only source of water for some tiny cities by the lake. As the lake gets drier, the population gets more desperate, and sometimes there are water riots. Once there was a big fire and everyone died. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:52:08 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: things Message-ID: <19990420.185210.11806.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Sarah suggested: >aww... y'all come to rochester instead! ;) In New York? Hell, I'll be lucky if I can get to Columbus, and that's only an hour and a half away. But I can't get anywhere if no one tells me where the freaking show is! Ar. And then raved: >yesyesyesyesyes!! i was watching MST, and flipped to mtv just in time to >catch it. it's beautiful! love that song too... Indeed, it's definitely one of their more interesting videos... right up there as my favorite probably - tied with Underground, that is. I liked the part where they made the piano look like a car. ever-sincere, eriKa, my ex-wives all despise me April 23, 6pm at Alliance First Friends Church - *Relient K*, Linus' Blanket, Boy Wonder, Asine, Peroxide. Five bands, four bucks. It doesn't get any better. More info - (330) 874-2189, Relientque@aol.com (or ask me!). ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-48 ******************************